New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Is Durkon gonna have a beard when resurrected? If so, how long will it be?

Quote Originally Posted by rbetieh View Post
    Is anyone on this forum a Dwarven Barber? And do you live in Seville?

That sounds familiar. Is the Dwarven Barber of Seville the guy who shaves all those, and those only, who do not shave themselves?
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Is Durkon gonna have a beard when resurrected? If so, how long will it be?

The Resurrection spell seems to restore the body to its state at time of death, since Roy was resurrected with a shaved head. In Durkon's case, this probably means being restored to the state at which his body was when he was killed by Malack, which includes a long beard.

What happened to his body after that, during the time it was commandeered by a vampire spirit, should have no more effect on the results of the Resurrection spell than the specific way in which Roy's body decayed after his death.

3. - Top - End - #93

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    That sounds familiar. Is the Dwarven Barber of Seville the guy who shaves all those, and those only, who do not shave themselves?
    Well, I don't know about the dwarven barber, but the human barber in Seville had a famous opera written about him.
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

4. - Top - End - #94

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    Well, I don't know about the dwarven barber, but the human barber in Seville had a famous opera written about him.
    Oh yes I think it might be ringing some bells now. This was the guy who cuckolded all those, and those only, who do not cukold themselves, right?
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

*In three months weeks* Is Durkon gonna have a beard when resurrected, part II: Beard Oil Cures all ills
    So if this happens, Durkon will come back with TWO beards, clearly.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor West View Post
    So if this happens, Durkon will come back with TWO beards, clearly.
    After such a face to face chat with his god, he will even come with his own necklace of prayer beards...
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    Oh yes I think it might be ringing some bells now. This was the guy who cuckolded all those, and those only, who do not cuckold themselves, right?
    No idea. No way faster to ruin a good Opera than to figure out what the hell they are going on about. This is a property it shares with a surprisingly large number of other musical styles.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

8. - Top - End - #98
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    He was wearing boots, belt, armor, and shield when he teleported out from the Godsmoot, at least:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1019.html
    The armor was functionally destroyed though (sundered by Wrath of Roy.) Hence Greg being in robes for round 2, which enabled the SSGoW to finish the job.

Hopefully the Church of Thor has a spare (or an upgrade!) laying around that he can borrow. I would think getting an assignment direct from their boss would be sufficient grounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The armor was functionally destroyed though (sundered by Wrath of Roy.) Hence Greg being in robes for round 2, which enabled the SSGoW to finish the job.

Hopefully the Church of Thor has a spare (or an upgrade!) laying around that he can borrow. I would think getting an assignment direct from their boss would be sufficient grounds.

I think someone has already suggested somewhere else that the location of said armour is what Thor whispered to Durkon. Seems reasonable to me, but the Giant usually surprises me.

10. - Top - End - #100

He's similar to the human version, but shaves with a Dwarven Waraxe.

11. - Top - End - #101

BlueWizardGirl

He's similar to the human version, but shaves with a Dwarven Waraxe.
    According to google, this is actually a thing! I imagine it would be similar, but with this axe and facial hair. This would definitely improve the Opera. More axes == Better.
    Extended Signature.

she/her

12. - Top - End - #102

According to google, this is actually a thing! I imagine it would be similar, but with this axe and facial hair. This would definitely improve the Opera. More axes == Better.
    So here is a super serious question.... If the Durkon beard is so epic, would slaying it give the barber experience? If so, would this apply http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1029.html If so, does Durkon still have to pay the guy? was that just a tip?

13. - Top - End - #103

BlueWizardGirl

So here is a super serious question.... If the Durkon beard is so epic, would slaying it give the barber experience? If so, would this apply http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1029.html If so, does Durkon still have to pay the guy? was that just a tip?
    Super Serious Answer:

Assuming the Barber is around lvl 13, and Durkon's beard is barely epic (CR 20), the dungeon master handbook recommends around 48,600 xp for soloing the encounter. I think Durkon can reasonably ask for a discount in that case. Maybe it would drop 80,000 gp, in which case I think Durkon could shave there for free for the rest of his life.
    Last edited by Caerulea; 2018-12-03 at 09:10 PM.
    Extended Signature.

she/her

14. - Top - End - #104

Super Serious Answer:

Assuming the Barber is around lvl 13, and Durkon's beard is barely epic (CR 20), the dungeon master handbook recommends around 48,600 xp for soloing the encounter. I think Durkon can reasonably ask for a discount in that case. Maybe it would drop 80,000 gp, in which case I think Durkon could shave there for free for the rest of his life.
    With that kind of money, the Barber could upgrade his Dwarven Waraxe with magic to dispense shaving cream and hot towels! +2 Hot Towels for sure!

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That's what I pay my internet for... LOL
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Guess I was wrong, huh?

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Interesting, the spell also re-created Durkula's clothes as how they were before Durkula's death.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Interesting, the spell also re-created Durkula's clothes as how they were before Durkula's death.
    Yes, I had assumed they would turn back to blue. I guess Durkon will have to make do with a black armor.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2018-12-17 at 07:46 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    The first time is empirical evidence, but let's see what happens the second time....

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Yes, I had assumed they would turn back to blue. I guess Durkon will have to make do with a black armor.
    Nah, that was destroyed. Thorish mithril armor headcanon!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    It's even seductively ripped in chest-covering area.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aveline View Post
    I didn't mean it as a literal quotation, but you did say he was probably not fond, which I understood as a euphemism for "strongly dislike". [...]
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Nope, both "hate" and "strongly dislike" are more extreme than what I was presenting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aveline View Post
    Alright. My apologies for misunderstanding.
    Okay, so, I couldn't remember the name of the rhetorical device I was thinking of in this case, but I happened upon it today and it is called litotes. Just thought you all might be interested to know. (Even though it was spuriously that I interpreted Psyren's message as a litotes.)
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.