New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Spheres of Power: Illuminator's Handbook Open Beta

Welcome to the playtest of the Illuminator's Handbook, a book in a series of themed expansions for Spheres of Power. For those unfamiliar with it, Spheres of Power is a new magic system published by Drop Dead Studios which divides magic into 'spheres,' themed sets of magical abilities that aim to provide support for a wide variety of concepts from level one, using at-will abilities as well as more resource limited powers.

The Illuminator's Handbook is focused on expanding the Light sphere of magic, and so all its content is related to creating or manipulating light and its properties. It introduces many new talents, including two new series of talents: nimbus talents that allow you to alter the areas of your light magic, and lens talents to give you abilities related to the manipulation and control of light. Also within the book are new archetypes and class options (such as the Astrology tradition and the Sun Warrior archetype), as well as feats, equipment, and more.

You can find the playtest document here. Feel free to comment within the document, or post your comments and feedback here.

I look forward to your input!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Spheres of Power: Illuminator's Handbook Open Beta

Congrats on the open playtest.

The book needs more light themed monsters. Because the bestiary isn't bloated as it is.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

If nothing else, I have learned that "syzygy" is an actual word instead of an attempt to cheat at Scrabble.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronGolem View Post
    If nothing else, I have learned that "syzygy" is an actual word instead of an attempt to cheat at Scrabble.
    Someone must have been cheating very hard, since there are only 2 'y' tiles in a standard scrabble game.

:)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.Gibson View Post
    Someone must have been cheating very hard, since there are only 2 'y' tiles in a standard scrabble game.

:)
    You could use a blank tile as one of the Y tiles.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    You could use a blank tile as one of the Y tiles.
    Arg...been too long since I've played scrabble.

*goes back to video games*

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Irradiance:
    Comparing this talent to blinding light, the glow feels very strong. Dazzled is a minor rebuff compared to sickened. Blinded and nauseated are more comparable, but irradiance still out classes blinding light significantly, IMO. I'd suggest a duration penalty or a spell point cost to add the glow, maybe both.

Infravision:
    This lens talent seems quite comparable to the dark so here's meld talents. As such, it seems undercosted compared to melds which cost 1 spell point for the similar 1 hour per level. This seems especially relevant as this could possibly replace the dark vision meld when encountering living foes in a dark room. Not to add further text to a long entry, how would this talent interact with gaze attacks in darkness as compared to dark vision?

Good work on the addition. Sorry it's taken me a few months to comment.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Assuming this is still alive, I really love the potential combination of Star Genesis and Everglow to make really rad underground greenhouses! It has a lot of neat world building applications that are very interesting to me personally. The Lens talents are also quite neat.

If one had Everglow, Permanent Transformation, and Bioluminescent Transformation, would it make sense to allow permanently attaching Light talents in the place of traits?
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Light is very much alive and in fact it is next in line for publication!

I'll leave the actual question to our esteemed author.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

amber and stack can vampire with dim light and everglow talents become immune to sun

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Assuming this is still alive, I really love the potential combination of Star Genesis and Everglow to make really rad underground greenhouses! It has a lot of neat world building applications that are very interesting to me personally. The Lens talents are also quite neat.
    Thanks! Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

If one had Everglow, Permanent Transformation, and Bioluminescent Transformation, would it make sense to allow permanently attaching Light talents in the place of traits?
    I purposefully avoided Bioluminescent Transformation having an effect outside of concentration duration - by the time you've spent spell points to maintain glow or shapeshift without concentration, you're out of the purview of Bioluminescent Transformation.

In addition, Everglow does not allow permanent (light) talents.

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    amber and stack can vampire with dim light and everglow talents become immune to sun
    No. Dim Light only protects against the glow effects of the caster, not all light effects. In addition, Dim Light is a (lens) talent, and so Everglow has no effect on it.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AmberVael View Post

No. Dim Light only protects against the glow effects of the caster, not all light effects. In addition, Dim Light is a (lens) talent, and so Everglow has no effect on it.
    to bad just get day walking vampire idea (aka regis from witcher) and now its hosed

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AmberVael View Post
    I purposefully avoided Bioluminescent Transformation having an effect outside of concentration duration - by the time you've spent spell points to maintain glow or shapeshift without concentration, you're out of the purview of Bioluminescent Transformation.

In addition, Everglow does not allow permanent (light) talents.
    Yes I realize that it's all not in the rules as currently written. I was asking if you as the author of that material would think it reasonable for that level of investment to allow the effect I described. If the cost of a Light Talent is about equal to the cost of Trait, and you need to have both of the Permanency Talents, maybe it'd be okay?

EDIT: I do suppose I can just spellcraft it.
    Last edited by Mithril Leaf; 2016-06-10 at 07:43 PM.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.