New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Judo monk - how would you make it work?

greetings members of the playground

I have recently had the (maniacally laughter filled) pleasure of rolling up a monk. but not just ANY monk mind you. a JUDO monk, that's right, he throws people.

the problem is, the grapple rules.... are not exactly in depth enough to cover what I want to do.

the rules we have to work with basically devolve in to 'okay I grab him' -opposed roll- 'okay I throw him'

I want MORE!!!

I want to be able to play a character who really does fight almost exclusivly through throwing, somethin that gives me the freedom to say something like

"I grab him by the lapels of his jacket, and chuck him over my shoulder"

and the rolls (and potential damage) to reflect this

so I cast my conundrum upon ye, in hopes that I may find a solution more consistent than
    me: I throw him like this -insert description-
    DM: okay roll x y z
    me: success
    DM: okay this happens. it deals this much damage

or some variation there of

please thankyou loveyoubunches in advance

*if any further information is required about my monk ask and it shall be given, but I couldn't think of why feat selection and whatnot would matter much for this discussion, so I left it out on purpose... however, if that does come to have some impact on suggestions, I'll post anything required about my monk

Spoiler
    Show
    So far I've thrown a man off a cliff.... I was helping him look for his warhammer that had been thrown off the edge by.... somebody

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Judo monk - how would you make it work?

Obligatory Unarmed Swordsage focusing on Setting Sun manevuers mention...

Do a search around for Tome of Battle guides, and read that book if possible. Exactly what you want is done quite elegantly in that book. Good luck getting it outside of that book though...its kinda a rough mechanic.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2010-07-13 at 06:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tome of Battle. The Setting Sun discipline has some things that are exactly like this. But D&D is, by its nature, abstraction, so everything is pretty much "I do this, described in an awesome way, but that just comes down to a few dice rolls."

A way of getting something similar is Dodge + Improved Trip + Sidestep Charge and possible Defensive Throw. This doesn't actually throw people, but gets something similar.

EDIT: You can look up the maneuvers here.
    Last edited by lsfreak; 2010-07-13 at 06:10 PM.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thirding the unarmed Setting Sunsage. I'd toss in Diamond Mind too.

Spoiler
    Show

<Flickerdart> So theoretically the master vampire can control three bonused dire weasels, who in turn each control five sub-weasels
    <Flickerdart> The sub-weasels can each control two other sub-weasels
    <Flickerdart> It's like a pyramid scheme, except the payoff is bleeding to death!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Further agreement on Tome of Battle, as if you didn't have enough. If you don't mind a bit of a magical feel, then you could try Shadow Sun Ninja.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Check out the grapple rules in the SRD and decide what combat maneuvers could be appropriated to certain stages of the grapple.

Ie.

Momentous Take Down - As the opponent reaches for you, you back up and make a swift hooking round house kick to their backside, causing them to collapse.

Requires: Stage 1 of the grapple listing.

Mechanic: If the opponent misses their attack of opportunity, you may make a free unarmed strike against them that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. If the attack deals damage, the opponent must make a balance check of DC equal to your attack roll + damage - 8 - size modifier over your size modifier (if your size is greater then the value is positive and adds in the equation, not negative and subtracting) - their strength modifier over your strength modifier (again, positive if your modifier is greater than theirs) or fall prone.

Or

Wrist Snag - You snag the opponent by the wrist and then lead them swiftly on their heels.

Requires: Stage 2 of the grapple listing.

Mechanic: On a successful touch attack to grab the target, make a Dex check opposed by the target's dex check. If you succeed, you may perform any combat maneuver or action that does not involve bull rushing, overruning, disarming, sundering or tripping the opponent. You can move up to your base speed, causing the opponent to move with you. You can fall prone causing the opponent to fall prone.

If you succeed over the opponent's dex check by 8 or more, you may lead the opponent without actually performing any action yourself. Thus, the opponent moves wherever you tell them move, but only half. You can cause the opponent to fall prone without falling prone yourself. Doing so in this way is a free action.

Judo Throw - With minimal body strength, mostly supplemented by your own weight and opponent's momentum, you divert your opponent into the air over your backside.

Requires: Stage 2 of the grapple listing.

Mechanic: After a successful touch attack to grab the target, make an unarmed attack versus the opponent's reflex save (does not provoke attacks of opportunity). If you beat the opponent's save, you may throw them in the direction opposite to the square they were situated in during the time of your grapple attempt. The opponent is hurled 5ft. + 5 for every 5 that they failed their reflex save to oppose your unarmed attack. The opponent must make a balance check equal to 10 + 2 for every 5ft. they have been hurled or fall prone. If they land in a space occupied by an obstacle, the balance DC increases by +6 and they both deal to the object and take damage from it.

Or

Scissor Hold - You snare the opponent in a choking pin.

Requires:
    Stage 3 of the grapple listing.

Mechanic: After a successful grapple check opposed by the opponent's, you and the opponent must make opposed Dex checks. If you are successful, you automatically pin the opponent for 1 round. To pin the opponent the opponent for further rounds, you and the opponent must make further grapple checks, however the opponent may only use half their strength modifier against you for this purpose, while you may use 1.5 times your strength modifier against them. Finally, you may make unarmed strikes as attacks against the opponent while they are pinned in this way, without provoking an attack of opportunity from the opponent.
    Note however that other enemies targeting you do not roll percentage to determine if they hit your opponent you are grappling with instead, as you are clearly visible and immobile to them.

Body Club - With alarming strength, you heft the opponent into the air...

Requires: Stage 3 of the grapple listing.

Mechanic: On a successful grapple opposed by the opponent's grapple check, you and the opponent make opposed attack rolls. If the opponent's attack roll is greater than yours, they are allowed a free attack against you (does not count against their allowed attacks of opportunity in the round). If you succeed, you can lift the opponent, assuming their total weight does not encumber you higher than a medium load.

You can now use the opponent as an improvised weapon, factoring in their size category as size of the weapon, which is one category higher than their actual size (ie. a medium creature counts as a large two handed weapon or huge one handed weapon) - damage dealt with the weapon requires a reflex or fortitude save from the opponent (whatever is highest) to halve damage dealt to them.

Because you are still considered grappling with the opponent, the opponent can still make opposed grapple checks to escape, however their limbs are mostly free - thus, they double their BAB to escape checks and you halve your strength for the purpose of grapple checks to oppose their escape attempts. The opponent can perform other actions, but they take a -8 hazardous penalty on all skill checks, attack rolls and a -4 on attack rolls against you, etc.

As a full action (requiring at least two hands), you can hurdle the opponent a number of spaces equal to a strength check you roll. The opponent counts as a thrown improvised weapon with range 10ft. (assuming you are medium sized). Throwing the opponent in a regular attack roll uses only half your strength check for determining the number of spaces they fly.

If full action is utilized, damage dealt to opponent and other targets is your strength modifier multiplied by two. In either case, opponent must make a balance check equal to 1/2 damage suffered plus spaces they've have flown or fall prone.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-07-13 at 07:47 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by big teej View Post
    the rules we have to work with basically devolve in to 'okay I grab him' -opposed roll- 'okay I throw him'

I want MORE!!!

I want to be able to play a character who really does fight almost exclusivly through throwing, somethin that gives me the freedom to say something like

"I grab him by the lapels of his jacket, and chuck him over my shoulder"
    Forgive me, but... Isn't it the same but worded differentely?
    Last edited by Critical; 2010-07-13 at 06:36 PM.
    Awesome Bleachatar by Terry576.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Levethix the Dray Arcane Swordsage from the harsh world of Dark Sun.

Fallout bloody mess avatar by C-Lam.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Obligatory Unarmed Swordsage focusing on Setting Sun manevuers mention...
    Doesn't even have to be the Unarmed Swordsage variant. Just take IUS and maybe SUS and call it a day.

Alternatively, I've got a strange abstraction that I'm loving so far.

It's a Wilderness Feat Rogue with the Dungeoncrasher fighter substitution from Dungeonscape (acquired via Feat Rogue). Here's the character.

My feats give me AoOs equal to my Dex mod +1, let me replace an AoO with a 5' step, make any opponent I deal damage to take a 10' penalty to speeds until my next turn, allow me to not provoke from movement if I start within a threatened square, charge over difficult terrain and turn once, and augment my charging bonuses if I make a jump check while charging. Plus your typical power attack/shock trooper/improved bull rush stuff.

And this is all before the level of swordsage I just took.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2010-07-13 at 06:48 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

you can ask your DM if you can play a warblade and retrain one of the disciplines (i suggest stone dragon) for setting sun
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

So no one cares about my combat maneuvers I guess?

I was planning on designing tactical feat trees for each combat style for a street fighter d20 game. But I guess no one cares about that, now do they?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Forgive me, but... Isn't it the same but worded differentely?
    That was my fault for being unclear.

I meant I would like the 'description' or 'type' of throw to actually matter as opposed to -i do this- roll- = damage

my example was poor... my apologies...

I suppose a better example would be the example I gave my DM for a battle that we know is coming up next session...

I direct you to tekken and lei wu-long's squre+x throw

he grabs his opponent by the shoulder, jumps up, and kicks them in the chest, flinging them back several feet, with him ending the move in a flying backflip

Quote Originally Posted by imp_fireball View Post
    So no one cares about my combat maneuvers I guess?

I was planning on designing tactical feat trees for each combat style for a street fighter d20 game. But I guess no one cares about that, now do they?
    I'm interested! -raises hand- and I would more than likely start bugging the heck out of my DM with such a list.

on a related note to the numerous people who have suggested....... things I've never heard of

here is my monk's character sheet, and (I'm sure I'll catch flak for this) aside from the one level of fighter I have, I plan to go straight monk, so perhaps aside from something found in the tome of battle, I guess I'm looking for a workable houserule fix or something....

Spoiler
    Show
    Character name: William Player name: Tyler Jones
    Class and level: fighter1/monk4 Race: human
    Alignment: Lawful good Deity: Tymora

Size: medium Age: 27 Gender: male Height: 6 Weight: 255 lbs
    Eyes: black Hair: black Skin: white
    Theme song:

Hit points: 55 - 9 = 46
    AC: 17
    BAB: +5
    Strength: 18 [+4]
    Dexterity: 18 [+4]
    Constitution: 18 [+4]
    Intelligence: 13 [+1]
    Wisdom: 15 [+3]
    Charisma: 13 [+1]

Saving throws
    Will: +7
    Fortitude: +10
    Reflex: +8

Speed: 40 feet

Backstory feats/Special bonuses:

Feats taken
    Combat Expertise
    Improved Disarm
    Improved Feint
    Improved Trip
    Improroved grapple
    Stunning fist
    Flurry of Blows (+1/+1)
    Evasion
    Still Mind
    Ki Strike (magic)
    Slow fall (20 feet)

Skills
    4 ranks in intimidate
    4 ranks in climb
    4 ranks in jump
    4 ranks in spot
    4 ranks in sense motive
    4 ranks in escape artist
    4 ranks in listen
    4 ranks in move silently

Weapons in use
    My Fist! = d8

Equipment/gear:

Items and possessions –temporarily missing
    Ring of sustenance
    Ring of jumping + 5 - still have
    Handy Haversack – recovered
    Elixir of Fire Breath – recovered
    Elixir of hiding - recovered
    Elixir of sneaking - recovered
    Elixir of swimming - recovered

Lore

Languages: common, Ignan

XP: 10,000 of 15,000

Money: 150 – missing

Heroic achievements:

To do list
    Kill loki – get ring back
    Kill wolf – get ring back
    Free Odin

Notes

Plot notes

Shopping list
    Boots of Striding and Springing

in a similar vein, the resources I have to work with are as follows
    3.5 DMG
    4E monster manual (mistakenly purchased )
    the dnd wiki/SRD
    the hypertext SRD
    the playground
    my imagination

note: I plan on directing the DM of this monk here to see what he thinks

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

4E monster manual (mistakenly purchased )
    You have two choices.

1. Sell

2. Burn

3. Play a revised monk from this board. There's already plenty. One of them uses sublime disciplines from ToB. There's even a variant for every martial class that involves sublime disciplines (I think the best one made the paladin have sword sage disciplines with the addition of devoted spirit to make it different from the crusader; an interesting idea, having a divine agile bringer of justice).

he grabs his opponent by the shoulder, jumps up, and kicks them in the chest, flinging them back several feet, with him ending the move in a flying backflip
    Okay, wow.

Shoulder Grab Flying Burst Chest Kick (HIYAH!)

Requires: Stage 2 of grapple listing.

Mechanic: After a successful touch attack, make a tumble check opposed by the opponent's AC - their Dex modifier. If successful, you may make a free bull rush and unarmed strike against the opponent without provoking attacks of opportunity for either maneuver. You do not need to move with the opponent to push them farther then five feet. Depending on how far you push them, you may move up to half that value in the opposite direction, landing wheresoever you choose and ignoring terrain and obstacles (except boundaries such as walls and tall obstacles that elevate above 1 space). The opponent must make a balance check of DC equal to your bull rush check or fall prone.

NOTE: You can ignore elevated boundaries with a jump check as a free action. The check determines how high you manage to elevate vertically before landing. You are considered to have made a running jump for this purpose. Failure to ignore an elevated boundary you pass through means that you fall prone adjacent to the boundary.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-07-13 at 08:07 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Beholder

They have a feat in Crystal keep.
    Martial Throw- If you hit an opponent up to your size with an unarmed strike, you can initiate a Dexterity-based Grapple check that doesn't draw attacks of opportunity. If you win, you and your opponent swap positions.

Something like that, worth looking up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

on a related note to the numerous people who have suggested....... things I've never heard of
    They're talking about the book Tome of Battle, which is really tops for Melee . Thanks to the multi classing rules, it even works well with existing characters.

One of the fighting schools available in the book "Setting Sun" actually focuses on throws and other techniques that play with positioning of you and your opponent.

While it's not enough to play with, you can find a list of the maneuvers from the school here:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/tob5a.zip

I'd honestly suggest looking into acquiring that book if melee characters (and especially monk-like ones) are your thing.

If you wanted to use the above maneuvers without actually getting the book, you could look to trade one feat for one maneuver with a level equal to roughly one third your level.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Martial Throw- If you hit an opponent up to your size with an unarmed strike, you can initiate a Dexterity-based Grapple check that doesn't draw attacks of opportunity. If you win, you and your opponent swap positions.
    More like an improved grab than a grapple though.

If you wanted to use the above maneuvers without actually getting the book, you could look to trade one feat for one maneuver with a level equal to roughly one third your level.
    There's a feat in the book that already allows you to take up a maneuver and learn from a discipline that you otherwise wouldn't know (I think).
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-07-13 at 08:10 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Beholder

More like an improved grab than a grapple though.
    Indeed, but it does have a judo feel to it. Pick up someone, throw them behind you.
    I'm just trying to give him more options, something he can get in addition to the stuff you guys said. :P
    Not again...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

You could try my monk.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a feat in the book that already allows you to take up a maneuver and learn from a discipline that you otherwise wouldn't know (I think).
    There is, but the rules wouldn't allow the posting of that feat since it's content from a book they'd otherwise have to buy. What I suggested was just a easy to use guideline for somebody not interested in buying the book at all.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    There is, but the rules wouldn't allow the posting of that feat since it's content from a book they'd otherwise have to buy. What I suggested was just a easy to use guideline for somebody not interested in buying the book at all.
    To be honest, this covers most of it for anyone who understands how Initiator Level works. Martial Study is the feat in question.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Imp
    Spoiler
    Show
    You have two choices.

1. Sell

2. Burn

3. Play a revised monk from this board. There's already plenty. One of them uses sublime disciplines from ToB. There's even a variant for every martial class that involves sublime disciplines (I think the best one made the paladin have sword sage disciplines with the addition of devoted spirit to make it different from the crusader; an interesting idea, having a divine agile bringer of justice).

Okay, wow.

Shoulder Grab Flying Burst Chest Kick (HIYAH!)

Requires: Stage 2 of grapple listing.

Mechanic: After a successful touch attack, make a tumble check opposed by the opponent's AC - their Dex modifier. If successful, you may make a free bull rush and unarmed strike against the opponent without provoking attacks of opportunity for either maneuver. You do not need to move with the opponent to push them farther then five feet. Depending on how far you push them, you may move up to half that value in the opposite direction, landing wheresoever you choose and ignoring terrain and obstacles (except boundaries such as walls and tall obstacles that elevate above 1 space). The opponent must make a balance check of DC equal to your bull rush check or fall prone.

NOTE: You can ignore elevated boundaries with a jump check as a free action. The check determines how high you manage to elevate vertically before landing. You are considered to have made a running jump for this purpose. Failure to ignore an elevated boundary you pass through means that you fall prone adjacent to the boundary.

my options, I am aware, I intend to trade it for a 3.5 as soon as possible (I'm calling the book lady every week to ask if she has new books in)

I love your little.... "insta-homebrew" stuff
    I am so running all of it by the DM to see if he's okay with it.

Mr. Moron
    Spoiler
    Show

They're talking about the book Tome of Battle, which is really tops for Melee . Thanks to the multi classing rules, it even works well with existing characters.

One of the fighting schools available in the book "Setting Sun" actually focuses on throws and other techniques that play with positioning of you and your opponent.

While it's not enough to play with, you can find a list of the maneuvers from the school here:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/tob5a.zip

I'd honestly suggest looking into acquiring that book if melee characters (and especially monk-like ones) are your thing.

I intend to acquire every sourcebook for 3.5 I can get my hands on actually so I'm way ahead of you there

and I will most certainly look into that, but I'm trying to stay away from sourcebooks this time around, because I don't know how the DM feels about players pulling from the ENTIRE PUBLISHED library of WOTC

Quote Originally Posted by Lhurgyof View Post
    Indeed, but it does have a judo feel to it. Pick up someone, throw them behind you.
    I'm just trying to give him more options, something he can get in addition to the stuff you guys said. :P
    Options are good, I like options, they are ALWAYS appreciated.... well okay,
    Spoiler
    Show
    almost always, whenever people say "or you could do this" when I've clearly stated what I'm after... that usually just irritates me

*the spoiler is directed at a player in my group, not at any of you.

but anyways, options are always good,

Mr. moron again

Spoiler
    Show

but I AM interested in buying the books..... all of them >=] -maniacle laughter

Fax Celestis
    Spoiler
    Show

You could try my monk.

that is very intriguing.... and I may pester my dms to see if I can run that at some point. (and I also saw mention of a paladin you did which I am now curious about)

however, this doesn't help me at this time for ) reasons.
    1) the monk given (during my quick browse) is still very strike oriented. I wish to throw people around like ragdolls, with vehemence.... I don't see myself making actual strikes that often.
    2) I have already created this character and I'm very..... "set" on the mentality of "okay, I've created this character, I'm stuck with him pending major things I discover" (such as not 'technically' being able to take a "demon" bane weapon).... I'm not interested and have no desire to completely redesign my monk.

however, as I stated before, I will probably(read: definitely) bug my DM's about letting me run that in the future. when I'm not after a judo throw-oriented monk

I think...... I got them all.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

(and I also saw mention of a paladin you did which I am now curious about)
    Check here.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2010-07-13 at 09:29 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

I am so running all of it by the DM to see if he's okay with it.
    If you do, I suggest asking the DM to help you merge them into tactical feats. Each feat would open up a few of those combat options. So maybe 6 options for two feats (with one feat as the prerequisite for the second feat containing the more powerful options), I'd suggest.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

If you do, I suggest asking the DM to help you merge them into tactical feats. Each feat would open up a few of those combat options. So maybe 6 options for two feats (with one feat as the prerequisite for the second feat containing the more powerful options), I'd suggest.

what do you mean?

(if I'd have to be a complete idiot to miss what you meant... I'm sorry, it's late, I'll kick myself tomorrow )

awesomesauce....
    Again, something I'm probably going to take to one of my DM's and go 'HEY CAN I PLAY THIS?! HUH? CAN I? CAN I? HUH HUH?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

what do you mean?

(if I'd have to be a complete idiot to miss what you meant... I'm sorry, it's late, I'll kick myself tomorrow )
    Feats with the [Tactical] descriptor were introduced... I dunno, at some point. Point is, each feat gave three "tactical" options that were supposed to make for a little more interesting play and give you abilities you didn't have before. Like for a Ninja-y character, there's one that lets you treat people who miss you as flat-footed (they have ways of gaining miss chances and sneak attack), along with a couple of other similar things.

Typically, they involve some kind of condition being met (like being missed, up above), a skill check (generally trivial), and then gaining some bonus. Usually there are three different conditions that allow you to do different things on different checks.

For the most part, like many other things in 3.5, they're a good idea poorly implemented. In particular, the conditions on most of them make them worthless, because they just don't come up all that often (like above - that class can get a 20% miss chance, but only by using the move that gives it to them instead of other moves, and even then they only have a 20% chance of being missed - not really a great use of a feat). But that doesn't mean they have to be poorly done; these kinds of things that Imp suggests are a pretty good idea for Tactical feats.

All that said, an Unarmed Swordsage from Tome of Battle focusing on the Setting Sun discipline is a much better answer, I'm afraid. Sorry Imp.

25. - Top - End - #25

Beholder

http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules...ndex-Feats.pdf

There, they have all the 3.5 feats...
    I suggest: Fear No Binds, Martial Throw, Scorpion's Grasp, and Stone Monkey (Most are under unarmed strike feats/stunning fist feats)
    Not again...

26. - Top - End - #26

Beholder

Character name: William Player name: Tyler Jones
    Class and level: fighter1/monk4 Race: human
    Alignment: Lawful good Deity: Tymora

Size: medium Age: 27 Gender: male Height: 6 Weight: 255 lbs
    Eyes: black Hair: black Skin: white
    Theme song:

Hit points: 55 - 9 = 46
    AC: 17
    BAB: +5
    Strength: 18 [+4]
    Dexterity: 18 [+4]
    Constitution: 18 [+4]
    Wisdom: 15 [+3]
    Charisma: 13 [+1]

Saving throws
    Will: +7
    Fortitude: +10
    Reflex: +8

Speed: 40 feet

Backstory feats/Special bonuses:

Feats taken
    Combat Expertise
    Improved Disarm
    Improved Feint
    Improved Trip
    Improroved grapple
    Stunning fist
    Flurry of Blows (+1/+1)
    Evasion
    Still Mind
    Ki Strike (magic)
    Slow fall (20 feet)

Skills
    4 ranks in intimidate
    4 ranks in climb
    4 ranks in jump
    4 ranks in spot
    4 ranks in sense motive
    4 ranks in escape artist
    4 ranks in listen
    4 ranks in move silently

Weapons in use
    My Fist! = d8

Equipment/gear:

Items and possessions –temporarily missing
    Ring of sustenance
    Ring of jumping + 5 - still have
    Handy Haversack – recovered
    Elixir of Fire Breath – recovered
    Elixir of hiding - recovered
    Elixir of sneaking - recovered
    Elixir of swimming - recovered

Lore

Languages: common, Ignan

XP: 10,000 of 15,000

Money: 150 – missing

Heroic achievements:

To do list
    Kill loki – get ring back
    Kill wolf – get ring back
    Free Odin

Notes

Plot notes

Shopping list
    Boots of Striding and Springing
    Ah, sweet. Why the penalty to HP with the high con?
    And I hope you do find a suiting theme song soon. May I suggest the Mortal Kombat theme? xD
    Not again...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Technically, if you could become size Huge or larger (PsyWar with Expansion would work, and combined well with Monk and the Tashalatora feat), you could take Snatch, from the Monstrous Manual. It has a mechanic for throwing people. Its mostly intended for dragons and other large flying creatures, but it works out well for a really big grappling character as well.

Also, you aren't taking things from EVERY suppliment, just Tome of Battle.
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

FEATS:
    Martial Throw
    Defensive Throw (OA 3.0)
    Great Throw (OA 3.0)
    powerfull build + Fling Enemy (SS 3.0) (but use the requirements of the 3.5 version - house-rule it )
    Throw Anything
    Ellery: "We will not be caught by surprise."
    Entreri: "Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words."
    Jarlaxle: "Then I am glad once again that you are on my side."
    Entreri: "They've often said that too."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonWraith View Post
    Feats with the [Tactical] descriptor were introduced... I dunno, at some point. Point is, each feat gave three "tactical" options that were supposed to make for a little more interesting play and give you abilities you didn't have before. Like for a Ninja-y character, there's one that lets you treat people who miss you as flat-footed (they have ways of gaining miss chances and sneak attack), along with a couple of other similar things.

Typically, they involve some kind of condition being met (like being missed, up above), a skill check (generally trivial), and then gaining some bonus. Usually there are three different conditions that allow you to do different things on different checks.

For the most part, like many other things in 3.5, they're a good idea poorly implemented. In particular, the conditions on most of them make them worthless, because they just don't come up all that often (like above - that class can get a 20% miss chance, but only by using the move that gives it to them instead of other moves, and even then they only have a 20% chance of being missed - not really a great use of a feat). But that doesn't mean they have to be poorly done; these kinds of things that Imp suggests are a pretty good idea for Tactical feats.

All that said, an Unarmed Swordsage from Tome of Battle focusing on the Setting Sun discipline is a much better answer, I'm afraid. Sorry Imp.
    gotcha, must be in a supplement I don't have access too.... I'll look into that

Quote Originally Posted by Lhurgyof View Post
    Ah, sweet. Why the penalty to HP with the high con?
    And I hope you do find a suiting theme song soon. May I suggest the Mortal Kombat theme? xD
    Provided you're talking about what I think you are (the minus 9)

thats not a penalty, that's damage I took from the chap who's warhammer I threw off a mountian.
    now granted, Being the helpful guy that I am, I helped him go get it back >=D

and if anyone is curious why I have such obscenely high stats we rolled high power + a..... d4? point buy

Spoiler
    Show
    I just finished reading "finder's bane" and it's 2 AM.... I am going to go to sleep now... if anything spectacularly unintelligent was posted here by me, please ignore it for now... I'll fix it

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Class and level: fighter1/monk4
    [...]
    [...]
    Skills
    4 ranks in intimidate
    4 ranks in climb
    4 ranks in jump
    4 ranks in spot
    4 ranks in sense motive
    4 ranks in escape artist
    4 ranks in listen
    4 ranks in move silently
    All talk of judo grappling aside, you should probably do something about this skill list. As is, you're going to be 'meh' at sneaking, 'meh' at perceiving, 'meh' at getting around, and really 'meh' at intimidating. Focus more on some skills like Spot, dump others more (Escape Artist). Move Silently without Hide is...strange. And UMD Balance is probably a better secondary skill than Climb or Jump, since without 5 ranks in that you're flat-footed whenever you have to make a Balance check, which sucks.

Side note: if you take the Monk level first, you get an extra 6 skill points (though only 6 hp instead of 10 at 1st level). A matter of preference.