New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Commuinity World Building Project (World the Dragons Rule)

Here is another idea the main airforce consist of giant eagles bred in the city so the bottom layer of the city will be an hanger/aviary
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Another god:
    Xithicle: The Brooding God, the Mad God, the Wailing God; Xithicle is known by these titles and more. Born a sorcerer of one of the lesser races Xithicle had draconic blood that burned through him like fire, for he was of the lineage of the greatest of the draconic gods who had created all dragons. He set forth to discover the nature of his lineage on a quest that led him into the depths of Pandemonium. Throughout this quest Xithicle became more and more like the dragon from which he was descended eventually becoming draconic himself before moving onto the next step of his evolution in the very heart of the plane and, over centuries of slumber, metamorphosing into a true dragon. Thus Xithicle became a howling dragon and a god. Or at least this is a story that Xithicle's followers tell, although not the only one. Another relates how Xithicle, born a howling dragon, dove into the Spire itself at the heart of the Outlands and found the Wellspring of Divinity and drank from it transforming himself into an invincible god. Various others abound, spread by the Mad God whether for his own pleasure, to advance his own ends, or because in his madness he believed them to be true is not known even by his priests.

Xithicle preaches anarchy. He believes in the dissolution of society and civilization and other artificial restraints. An individualist Xithicle preaches active disobedience and loyalty only to one's own goals and desires. A mad god he has been known to give his worshipers edicts that actively go against his own goals and even sic his churches against each other. Many of his followers only marginally listen to their fickle and capricious deity, and he seems not to notice.

Alignment: CE (Howling Dragon from Pandemonium).
    Domains: Chaos, Evil, Entropy (FCI), Madness (SpC), Fury (FCI)
    Favored Weapon: Claw (Kukri).
    Unholy Symbol: A draconic eye from which 8 arrows point in all directions.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

The techno-dragons are the official "Air-force" protecting the city but since it's an ideal place for many different avian creatures there are colonies of them all over the outer portions of Thraeverthicha. Most in there way protect the city or at least part of it as their territory. Some of the smaller birds have simply chosen it as a place to roost. One of the trades Thraeverthicha specializes in is all things avian, be it the training of birds of prey, or mastering the art of fling astride a Giant Eagle.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

Go HERE for a look at the Ishka (CWBP) Wiki.

Go HERE for a look at the Dragon-World (CWBP) Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by newD&Dfan View Post
    I hereby give you the title of Wiki Editor SilverScale. (in deep booming voice)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Finally a goddess

Tallus: The Shining Empress, Tallus is goddess of the just and the righteous. Known as the Sheltering Light, the Shining Empress, the Golden Goddess, among other names, Tallus serves as an example to paladins and dragon-kind throughout the planes. An ascended dragon like many of her kindred, Tallus once fought against the darkness that threatened to consume the material plane, before due finally ascending to godhood. Even from a young age Tallus served as an exemplar of righteousness.
    Tallus preaches law and virtue in harmony, for the former is useless without the latter and the latter is powerless without the former. Though Tallus encourages the strength to defend oneself, she also is careful to remind her priesthood that to kill without need is a sin regardless of the victim. She is a goddess capable of dealing judgment when necessary, but also capable of mercy and kindness. Her priests are expected to serve as guardians, judges, and should the situation call for it executioners as well.
    Alignment: LG (Radiant Dragon from Mount Celestia).
    Domains: Law, Good, Protection, Purification (SpC), Wrath (BoED version).
    Favored Weapon: Bite (Longsword).
    Special Note: Clerics may only be LG, or NG; Tallus puts a greater emphasis on Good than Law.

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

5. - Top - End - #65

We're going to need to start archiving what we have so far. I know how to edit a Wiki if someone knows how to create one.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverscale View Post
    The techno-dragons are the official "Air-force" protecting the city but since it's an ideal place for many different avian creatures there are colonies of them all over the outer portions of Thraeverthicha. Most in there way protect the city or at least part of it as their territory. Some of the smaller birds have simply chosen it as a place to roost. One of the trades Thraeverthicha specializes in is all things avian, be it the training of birds of prey, or mastering the art of fling astride a Giant Eagle.
    This is starting to sound way too familiar
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

I cant remember the name of the book it's been so long since I've even seen it but in it there were miniature dragons of various different colors. As I recall they never got much bigger then a house cat and would ride around on the shoulders of the first human they bonded with after they hatched. Much like a dragon hatchling being a Wizards Familiar but these little guys never got any bigger.
    Might that be http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/pseudodragon.htm from MM1?
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

8. - Top - End - #68

@Captain_Obvious: Hey, you're the one who suggested Giant Eagles in the first place. I'm just taking that idea to it's logical conclusion.

@drack: No I'm not thinking of the pseudodragon. It's a miniature dragon which would actually be smaller than a pseudodragon.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Azalon: The Death of Hope, the Final Darkness, the Patient One. Azalon is very much a creature of the Gray Wastes. It is said that Azalon sprung a fully formed god straight from the Gray Wastes and that when hope and happiness are no longer felt in the multiverse (or possibly just the Prime Material Plane) that he will ascend to the level of overdeity and in doing so cause the death of the entire multiverse. Some of his clerics fanatically seek to bring this about.
    Azalon takes no pleasure in life, save for that he obtains when another creature feels despair and hopelessness; mortals' feelings of despair are like ambrosia to him and are said to bring him greater power. Despite this Azalon takes little to no active role in causing this despair, only granting his priests spells in a passive manner.

Domains: Evil, Death, Fear (see below on this page of this thread), Fate (Spell Compendium), Sloth SpC).
    Alignment: NE (Gray Wastes, gloom dragon).
    Favored Weapon: Claw (Sickle).
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2010-09-15 at 06:30 PM.

Current Projects:

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Zaydos: I'd say remove Darkness from Azalon's Domains as it fits more with the Shadow Dragon God.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

You're right, what's another good domain for a god of despair?

Current Projects:

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

ok ok got it *rolls eyes* so the city's real army is voluntary
    Last edited by The_Admiral; 2010-09-14 at 07:41 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

How about Corruption? Giving into the Temptation of Despair thus corrupting yourself. Or maybe Fear(I remember this being a Domain in one of the Book maybe it was 3rd Edition though...)?

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post
    Yes but since most of the avian creatures or either territorial or loyal to Thraeverthicha, it is very well protected.

Also I have created a Wiki for this Project and will link it in my sig once I have a chance to edit it. Right now it's just a copy/paste of this thread.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Can't find a fear domain anywhere... but this is a homebrew forum and a fear domain shouldn't be the hardest thing to make.

Fear Domain:
    Granted Power: +2 to caster level for Fear effects.
    Spells
    1. Cause Fear
    2. Scare
    3. Blade of Pain and Fear (SpC)
    4. Fear
    5. Spirit Wall (SpC)
    6. Symbol of Fear
    7. Evil Glare (SpC)
    8. Final Rebuke (SpC)
    9. Weird

Does it look acceptable as a domain? Mostly; I feel bad I had to resort to Spell Compendium 4 times but there are no PHB [Fear] spells of those levels (or in the Spell Compendium for Lv 8).
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2010-09-14 at 09:14 PM.

Current Projects:

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

It's a city of DRAGONS do they need A real army? I would think of the real army as just the front line of footmen, ready to put their lives on the line simply because they love the city that much, and/or want to protect the elements of it that the dragons don't particularly care about.
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by drack View Post
    It's a city of DRAGONS do they need A real army? I would think of the real army as just the front line of footmen, ready to put their lives on the line simply because they love the city that much, and/or want to protect the elements of it that the dragons don't particularly care about.
    Considering that this is the "World where Dragons Rule", an attacking army is likely to include dragons as well.

And it's not a city of Dragons, it's a city ruled by Dragons. From what I understand, even the capital has less than a hundred true dragons in it.

I imagine each Draconic family maintaining an elite household guard, if the city comes under a serious threat, they'll hire mercenaries and raise levies from the populace.

Also, I had an idea.

SpawnGuard
    Dragons live a very long time, and their shapeshifting abilities allow them to mate with pretty much anything, the result being Half Dragons, powerful and intelligent hybrids. Many dragons have taken up the habit of forming a Spawnguard, the Dragon will intentional have multiple half-dragon children, which will be raised from a young age for combat skill and loyalty to their draconic parent. Some dragons seek out skilled warriors to have children with, others rely on the child's upbringing to make them as effective as possible.
    The end result is the same, a group of half-dragons who are ready and willing to die for their draconic parent. As part of this process, most never know their other parent,in order to prevent any splitting of loyalties.
    Spawnguard serve their father or mother as elite bodyguards, trusted lieutenants, or skilled agents.

Some Dragons keep their spawnguard close, surrounding them with tutors and masters-at-arms from a young age, providing them with the best equipment the dragon can afford, and having them train alongside their half brothers and sisters their entire lives. Others are sent out with little more than the clothes on their backs, told to hone their skills as an adventurer until they are ready to serve.

Spawnguard are usually Fighters, Knights, Wizards, or Sorcerers, but other classes are possible. An especially pious dragon may send his or her child to the temple to be trained as a cleric (Though this is rare, as it can lead to a conflict of interest between the dragon and the temple). With the exception of Spawnguard out to prove themselves (in the way mentioned above), Spawnguard are considered direct representatives, and property, of their draconic parent. They wear their parent's insignia openly, and tend to travel unmolested. It is a foolhardy bandit that attacks a Spawnguard, and when they break laws (Something that is fairly rare), few constables will attempt to press charges. That said, Spawnguard tread carefully. They are representatives of their parent, who could be held responsible for anything they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drack View Post
    Dude i am talking about the airship city not the dragon one and it will need a milliantary force because it will travel through uncivillised lands for trading
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Considering that this is the "World where Dragons Rule", an attacking army is likely to include dragons as well.

And it's not a city of Dragons, it's a city ruled by Dragons. From what I understand, even the capital has less than a hundred true dragons in it.

I imagine each Draconic family maintaining an elite household guard, if the city comes under a serious threat, they'll hire mercenaries and raise levies from the populace.
    Yes I know that the city is ruled by dragons, not consisting entirely of them, but considering (just based off thread title) that the world is completely ruled by them, (yes I know rebel groups were mentioned) there still has to be over a hundred dragons. Especially if you think of it this way: dragons aren't killing each other/being killed as much as stated in previous posts. An average dragon has about 4 eggs every mating cycle. It takes about a hundred years for one to mature (see monster manual I). /under these conditions, even if we were to assume that dragons only mate once in their entire lives (the extreme low plausible dragon pop) that would still mean that every 100 years a new generation of twice the size of the last would emerge. that means that if you start with 100 dragons, than you get 300, than 700, than 1500, ect. I would assume that dragons wouldn't necessarily consider it "ruling the world" unless it had been long established, at least in the minds of races with shorter life-spans than dragons (meaning races that die of old age).

Dude i am talking about the airship city not the dragon one and it will need a milliantary force because it will travel through uncivillised lands for trading
    OK that works, but I still stand by my point that the citizens would enlist to protect it (if they felt any real reason to) or the dragons would protect it through their own private reserves, depending on the family, assuming that if there is an airship in the first place big families of dragons would generally be the ones to afford them. Though I don't personally know exactly what the cultural element of the airship is, seeing as I haven't really been following the airship thing too closely.
    Last edited by drack; 2010-09-15 at 06:43 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Since no one commented on the Fear domain I decided it was fine and editted it on to Azalon. If someone objects please voice it.

Also another god.

Tallix: The Clock Maker, the Oath Guard, the Ever Watching. Tallix is the god of law, and an orderly cosmos. He is thought to be a living portion of his plane, and scholars suspect he had a role in the creation of the Inevitable forges. He watches the clockwork of Mechanus and ensures that it runs as it should. Tallix is not know to take joy in anything, but he is angered when the laws of reality are mangled and twisted, leading him to send his agents against would be gods, necromancers, adventurers, and from time to time an enmity between him and arcanists. Even so Tallix takes little active role in things, allowing his priests to preach general law and order and leaving them free to chose how and where (as long as they do so in a way that is obedient to the laws of course).
    Tallix's priests are upholders of the virtue of law, and order. They can often be found acting as judges, and law officers. As long as law is maintained they interfere little, regardless of the justice or righteousness of these laws.

Alignment: LN (Axial Dragon, from Mechanus).
    Favored Weapon: Tail (heavy mace).
    Domains: Law, Time, Oracle, Inquisition, Pact.

Current Projects:

21. - Top - End - #81

@BRC: Have I told you lately that you're awesome?

@Zaydos: I think we shall name the over god after you since you seem to be the one creating all the gods.

@drack: Yes there are well over 100 dragons in the world. there population doesn't quite double every 100 years because they do get killed occasionally but they are powerful enough to ensure that their numbers are steadily rising with a birth rate that out-stripes their death rate.

Also the Airship City in question was built by and is the primary residence of a large group of humans. I figure that some time in the past they decided that they would rather have their city travel around with them as they went on trading expeditions.

Wiki-page: Still trying to get somewhere I can have working internet for longer then an hour or so a day so I can edit it to a manageable site. As soon as I do I will link it in my sig next to the one for Ishka.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

The Shifter: Known by a thousand names for ze* will never stick with one, the Shifter is the deity of chaos, chance, luck and trickery. The Shifter never appears the exact same twice, although ze is usually in the form of a chaos dragon (other forms are not unheard of). A patron of rogues, the Shifter has a love for those who are willing to bet their lives on luck and chance, and just a measure of skill; although those who rely on zir too heavily find that ze is a fickle deity. The Shifter seems to lack a long term plan for the world, possibly being completely unable to formulate or stick with one, acting often to cause chaos and randomness, but other times stopping zir own plans. Some philosophers point out that these acts only further increase chaos in the end, though.
    The Shifter leaves zer priests mostly to their own means. Occasionally ze will assign them tasks and quests in a fickle manner. The Shifter's priests do share a common freedom of spirit and chaotic bend that allows them to channel the Shifter's powers.

Alignment: CN (Chaos Dragon, Limbo)
    Domains: Chaos, Luck, Trickery, Liberation, Illusion. Not sure I like the last 2 domains but they were all I could think of (or else Celerity).
    Favored Weapon: Claws (rapier)

*Yes I'm using gender neutral pronouns for this one.

PS: CN seems to be lonely as far as gods are concerned, both Ysgard and Pandemonium got ones that weren't neutral... same thing might happen to LN. At least NG and NE can rely on the planar river dragons to give them 2 of that alignment.

Current Projects:

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Shadow Dragon should probably be NE. As I see it more of a calculative god then an actual god that just goes chaotically out of control.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by un_known View Post
    Shadow Dragon should probably be NE. As I see it more of a calculative god then an actual god that just goes chaotically out of control.
    You know until you said that I'd forgotten that they were listed as always CE... I always see them as plotters and manipulators of the highest quality. Then again major red dragons in my games tend towards Lawful alignments (which really means red dragons that through sheer force/force of personality create draconic kingdoms).

Also there are 3 true neutral Planar Dragons (Astral, Ethereal, and Concordant); 1 LN/LE (assigned LE), 1 LN, 1 LG, 1 LG/NG, 2 NG, 1 NG/CG, 1 CG, 1 CN/CG (assigned CG), 1 CN, 1 CN/CE (assigned CE), 1 CE, 1 NE/CE, 2 NE, 1 LE/NE, and Shadow Dragon.

These give dragons for each transitive plane, each outer plane except Baator and Arcadia.

Edit:
    Next god.

Theastrix: The Burning One, the Agonized Lord, the Pit Bound. Defeated by Tallus and sealed in Chamada, the second layer of Gehenna, Theastrix is held in eternal torment; not so much by the magma itself but by the holy wounds upon his side. Theastrix rages against his constraint, eternally seeking escape and revenge upon Tallus for defeating him. To this end Theastrix sends his servants on missions to obtain his liberty and once it is obtained he will go on a raging spree of vengeance across the planes.
    Theastrix's portfolio has always been one of fire and destruction, but his imprisonment has caused him to further emphasize revenge and destruction. Like many of the gods his birth is shrouded in myth, although it is said that he once fought against Uskgix and was cursed to waste away by the god of decay. The legend continues that to escape this wasting death Theastrix rose to godhood by linking himself with the primordial power of Gehenna itself. Other stories say that he sprung a god from Chamada and one day will do so again when his mortal followers free him.

Alignment: NE (Gehenna, Pyroclastic Dragon)
    Domains: Evil, Earth, Fire, Destruction, Hatred
    Favored Weapon: Bite (Great-Axe)
    Unholy Symbol: A volcano's crater, filled with a draconic eye.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2010-09-16 at 12:34 AM.

Current Projects:

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

You need a Tarterian Dragon God. The God of Prisons as well.

So you could possibly link him into Theastrix's background as like the designer of the prison or a god trying to help free him; like an ally.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by un_known View Post
    You need a Tarterian Dragon God. The God of Prisons as well.

So you could possibly link him into Theastrix's background as like the designer of the prison or a god trying to help free him; like an ally.
    Good idea. I actually almost made Theastrix be the Tarterian dragon but I just liked the image of a pyroclastic dragon trapped in a giant volcano.

Edit: Another new god.
    Frejr: The Restless Hunter, the Wild Born, the Fearless One. Frejr is the god of the wild, and although more often associated with predator than prey his is god to them both. Frejr is tasked with maintaining the balance of nature, keeping predator from over hunting and herbivore from over grazing. Followers of Frejr see nature as a great network of life where every living thing influences all the others and where each creature has its role to play. Self-sufficiency is encouraged by Frejr, and his priests are known to go forth into the wild and dwell their with nothing but their own skills to keep them alive.
    Though god of the hunt, Frejr hates hunting for sport, and more than one myth cites him as turning such hunters into the hunted. Though a good aligned god, Frejr has a certain cold and violent streak it is better not to awaken. Despite this, Frejr is also known as the protector of travelers and all those who must pass through the wilderness.

Alignment: CG (Beastlands, Beast Dragon).
    Domains: Chaos, Good, Animal, Travel, Storm (SpC). Storm domain is due to Beast dragons having a mixed cold and electric breath weapon. Also storms = one of nature's more wrathful faces.
    Favored Weapon: Gore (Spear).
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2010-09-16 at 01:31 AM.

Current Projects:

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

@drack: Yes there are well over 100 dragons in the world. there population doesn't quite double every 100 years because they do get killed occasionally but they are powerful enough to ensure that their numbers are steadily rising with a birth rate that out-stripes their death rate.

Also the Airship City in question was built by and is the primary residence of a large group of humans. I figure that some time in the past they decided that they would rather have their city travel around with them as they went on trading expeditions.
    Yes the population wouldn't double every hundred years, unless all the dragons from previous generations were killed, and the new generation was unscathed, not to mention that they will likely mate more than once in their lifetimes. Also I would consider dragon populations quite high, but perhaps the dragon city is inter-planer allowing dragons with few future prospects to travel to other planes, and attempt to force their own kingdoms (which usually results in them being hunted in other planes).

Also I think I've been involved enough that by now I may as well commit and begin thinking of some additions to your world.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

How about some form of birth control for the dragons inspired by the timelords
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Another god:

Tallimyr: the Fair Drake, the Queen of the Woods. Mate of Frejr, Tallimyr is also a goddess of the wild and nature. Where Frejr is the wise protector and hunter of the natural cycle, Tallimyr is the goddess of spring, new life, and rebirth; the start of the cycle. Tallimyr is associated with the seelie fey, such as nymphs and dryads.
    Tallimyr's influence in the world is a fey one. Although she is kind and gentle her favor is inconstant. Unlike some gods she will not curse or hinder those who lose her favor, but she will stop giving them gifts and new aid. Tallimyr's goals in the world are the protection of the woodlands, and she is patron of children and mothers especially young children and young mothers.

Alignment: CG (Arboreal Dragon, Arborea).
    Domains: Chaos, Good, Plant, Fey (Book of Exalted Deeds), Renewal (SpC).
    Favored Weapon: Claw (dagger)
    Holy Symbol: A draconic head flanked with butterfly wings.

Want to do Tarterian Dragon, but I don't have a clear idea for it right now.

Current Projects:

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

How about as another element of the dragons control of the world we say that they have elementals positioned around the world acting as ponds and part of the actual landscape, which both spy on the inhabitants gathering information, and to show the citizens that the dragons have control over the world it's self molding it to their liking. This isn't to say that the world is necessarily made of elementals, but rather that there are enough of them firmly integrated into the infrastructure of everything, that it gives the illusion of the world it's self taking the side of the dragons.

As to the whole birth control verses them simply deciding to venture out into other worlds would ultimately be up to silverscale. (But I honestly can't imagine much that can get between two fired up dragons to prevent the such.)