New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Bellator Arcana: The Eldritch Knight's guide

Quote Originally Posted by tieren View Post
    Not so, after level 10 he can then take a save spell or two as he continues to level and the disadvantage is better then the +2 as if he had put a 14 in Int. The level 10 feature opens up new and interesting possibilities for the PC that dumped Int. It would actually be better for him than the EK that already had more or less successful save spell casting to whom the feature is just gravy.
    Isn't the point of dumping INT foregoing save spells entirely?

Also, for the sake of convenience, let's consider disadvantage on a save is roughly equivalent of having a +5 on the save DC.

A 10th-level EK with 8INT would thus have a save DC of 11 normally, and 16 with Eldritch Strike.
    A 10th-level EK with a 16INT would thus have a save DC of 15 normally, and 20 with Eldritch Strike.

A 20th level Wizard with max INT would have a save DC of... 19. A 20th-level Cleric with max WIS would still have a 40% chance of failing the save from the EK's Hold Person, and those without WIS save proficiencies are almost certainly screwed.

For EKs who dump INT and don't multiclass, Eldritch Strike is a decent feature. For those who don't, it's a complete gamebreaker.
    Last edited by Specter; 2016-02-29 at 01:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAnagram View Post
    I full-heartedly disagree. Defining the terms of a discussion is always necessary for the discussion to be fruitful.
    "Arguing about arguing about" wasn't a typo.

Ad to the rest of your post, I'm AFB, but I have the spell text, and it is not in laymen's terms. It says the target, on failing a Wisdom save (technical term) becomes frightened (specific status effect) and must take the Dash action (technical term).

Forced movement, as with the opportunity attack rules, exclusively refers to and has always exclusively referred to movement that happened directly as part of an effect (as with the Push action or Repelling Eldritch Blast).
    Booming Blade, not Fear.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Specter View Post
    Isn't the point of dumping INT foregoing save spells entirely?

For EKs who dump INT and don't multiclass, Eldritch Strike is a decent feature. For those who don't, it's a complete gamebreaker.
    1. For the most part yes, but once you get the feature you could try a few, I wouldn't swing around and start trying to use them as a mainstay.

2. I agree and that was my point for EK's that dump Int it is still a decent feature, not one that you would never use as you stated earlier.

Also, I hate minuses so even on "dump stats" I try to place at least 10.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

One thing to note is that the giving out disadvantage is potentially potent it is hard to use as you do not have that many spells to use with it during a given day. I will imagine your 1st level spells will be used up by non-save spells for instance. It is a feature that you can use with a potent spell but you really need to plan for it.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's neither abjuration, nor evocation, so it's competing with spells like Tasha that are so far beyond Jump there's simply no comparison.
    Given the Guide contains Expeditious Retreat as an option that suggests mobility is a valid concern. Jump is a good alternative in that it gets you places you can't get to easily (48' horizontal and 18' Verticle jumps would seem doable from when you get it,) with the bonus it is not concentration. For limited Flight for an encounter that is attractive. Certainly it might depend on GM style and how they design their encounters.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douche View Post
    Hey man, coffee tables can be pretty charismatic. They bring the whole room together.
    I'm sorry, it's fixed.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sorry, it's fixed.
    This chair feels disturbed by your change.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixitichil View Post
    Given the Guide contains Expeditious Retreat as an option that suggests mobility is a valid concern. Jump is a good alternative in that it gets you places you can't get to easily (48' horizontal and 18' Verticle jumps would seem doable from when you get it,) with the bonus it is not concentration. For limited Flight for an encounter that is attractive. Certainly it might depend on GM style and how they design their encounters.
    According to Crawford, Jump is limited by your movement, so it will never exceed 25-35', providing a fairly negligible boost to mobility for a relatively high opportunity cost.
    Last edited by EvilAnagram; 2016-02-26 at 04:15 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Sample builds added.

I haven't answered everyone, but I am taking every piece of advice into consideration.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Thank you. This is my favorite 5e class. Great guide!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Klorox View Post
    Thank you. This is my favorite 5e class. Great guide!
    Why thank you sir.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

• THE DESTROYER
    Half-Orc EK18/War Cleric 2
    ST20, DX10, CO16, IN14, WI14, CH8
    ASI's (3): ST+4, CO+2
    Feats (3): Great Weapon Master, Resilient (WIS), Sentinel
    EK spells: C - booming blade, green-flame blade, ray of frost; 1 - shield, absorb elements, find familiar; 2 - hold person, scorching ray; 3 - fireball, counterspell, haste; 4 - greater invisibility, otiluke's sphere
    Cleric spells - Any including Divine Favor and Healing Word
    I'm currently putting together a character based roughly on the above build, but I'm having trouble understanding something: how does this build get access to 4th level spells? The PHB only lists 4th level spell slots as being available to level 19 & 20 fighters. Did they print errata that changed the spell slots for EKs or am I misunderstanding something?

As a follow-up, do you have recommendations about a build order up to level 12? I was considering starting with a 16 S / 10 D / 14 Co / 14 I / 14 W / 8 Ch build as a Mountain Dwarf, going 10 Fighter / 2 Cleric and taking GWM, Sentinel and +2 Co for the first three feats/stat boosts. I'm probably going to be the de facto tank in our group, so I prioritized getting Sentinel and Constitution over the extra Strength or Resilient (Wisdom). I'd really like to hear any suggestions or recommended changes you think may prove more useful though.

Thanks very much for putting this guide together! It's really made making my character a lot more straightforward.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Razzberry View Post
    I'm currently putting together a character based roughly on the above build, but I'm having trouble understanding something: how does this build get access to 4th level spells? The PHB only lists 4th level spell slots as being available to level 19 & 20 fighters. Did they print errata that changed the spell slots for EKs or am I misunderstanding something?
    Yeah, it shouldn't have those spells known, even though you would have the spell slots.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2016-12-01 at 03:05 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razzberry View Post

As a follow-up, do you have recommendations about a build order up to level 12? I was considering starting with a 16 S / 10 D / 14 Co / 14 I / 14 W / 8 Ch build as a Mountain Dwarf, going 10 Fighter / 2 Cleric and taking GWM, Sentinel and +2 Co for the first three feats/stat boosts. I'm probably going to be the de facto tank in our group, so I prioritized getting Sentinel and Constitution over the extra Strength or Resilient (Wisdom). I'd really like to hear any suggestions or recommended changes you think may prove more useful though.

Thanks very much for putting this guide together! It's really made making my character a lot more straightforward.
    Yep, that was a brain fart. No 4th-level spells known.

I believe the WIS save proficiency is as important to a tank as Sentinel. Another way to go is to start Cleric for the save, then grab War Caster; as far as tanking goes, op. attack with Booming Blade will really put the hurt on your foes. Also a 16 in CON should be enough, at least at the beginning. But you're on the right track!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

GENERAL STRATEGY

- Armor class: As you’ve noticed, EKs are the best defensive Fighters out there. I have mentioned the use of two-handed weapons, but they really shine with a shield in hand. Here’s how AC can work for a STR build (DEX builds should be one point behind with max DEX):
    Full plate + shield: 20
    Full plate + shield + Defense fighting style: 21
    Full plate + shield + Defense fighting style + Shield (spell): 26
    Full plate + shield + Defense fighting style + Shield (spell) + Haste or Shield of Faith (obtained through Magic Initiate): 28
    Very few builds have this much at-will AC.
    You probably ought to at least mention that, by RAW, you cannot use the Shield spell if you have a weapon in one hand and a shield in the other, even if you have the Warcaster feat. The Shield spell has verbal and somatic components, but no material components, so Warcaster doesn't help. The somatic components require a free hand. This means that you either have to drop your weapon at the end of every turn so that you have a free hand to use the Shield spell (which means no reaction attacks involving your weapon), or you have to go without a shield. Also, if you keep dropping your weapon, eventually, you should expect an opponent to pick it up and try to run off with it.
    Last edited by vostyg; 2016-12-03 at 10:28 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vostyg View Post
    You probably ought to at least mention that, by RAW, you cannot use the Shield spell if you have a weapon in one hand and a shield in the other, even if you have the Warcaster feat. The Shield spell has verbal and somatic components, but no material components, so Warcaster doesn't help. The somatic components require a free hand. This means that you either have to drop your weapon at the end of every turn so that you have a free hand to use the Shield spell (which means no reaction attacks involving your weapon), or you have to go without a shield. Also, if you keep dropping your weapon, eventually, you should expect an opponent to pick it up and try to run off with it.
    The exact wording of warcaster is:

You can perform the somatic components of spells
    even when you have weapons or a shield in one or
    both hands.

So why wouldn't they be able to do the somatic components with sword and board?
    Last edited by Jarlhen; 2016-12-03 at 10:44 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Just seems to me, stat allocation for EK is Str/Dex > Con > Int
    So your 'spell atk' & save DC's are going to generally be low; +4 to hit & DC12. There's some increase by prof bonus as you level, but...

The low DC makes evocation/ blasts (Burn hands, Fireball) likely to be 1/2 damage in most instances.
    And the probability of hitting (firebolt, Chrome orb, etc...) low.

This is 'perception' on my part. But evocations just seem like accepting half power on the chassis.
    Focusing on Abjuration seems better, but then you're gimping the whole theme
    Fools are made to suffer, not to be suffered

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vostyg View Post
    You are mistaking material components with somatic components. Read the feat.

Quote Originally Posted by cZak View Post
    Just seems to me, stat allocation for EK is Str/Dex > Con > Int
    So your 'spell atk' & save DC's are going to generally be low; +4 to hit & DC12. There's some increase by prof bonus as you level, but...

The low DC makes evocation/ blasts (Burn hands, Fireball) likely to be 1/2 damage in most instances.
    And the probability of hitting (firebolt, Chrome orb, etc...) low.

This is 'perception' on my part. But evocations just seem like accepting half power on the chassis.
    Focusing on Abjuration seems better, but then you're gimping the whole theme
    In both EKs I played, I put 14 in CON and never raised it. You have so many ways to cut damage that it's not as important for you as to other fighters.

As for evocation, it's all about circumstance. If you have three dudes spread out, even half damage of a Fireball would be 12d6, more than regular weapon attacks would, and without even closing in.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

The most efficient way I've found to use Eldritch Knight is to use your spell slots for in-combat utility. I'm not against the idea of an eldritch knight who wants to cast fireballs (since, usually its the reason why one will pick this archetype), however this job is better left to the sorcerer/wizard of the party.

-As suggested, but expanded, you can make your character virtually unstopable: Mirror image (which uses no concentration slot) gives you have 75% chance not to be targeted. Works better with a dex based EK.

-Blur takes your concentration slot. Unless you use your concentration slot for Hex/Hunter's mark (taken via magic initiate), it's probably your best option for it. Disadvantage against you for one minute from all opponents is great, and combined with Mirror Image it's awesome.

-Finally, you can add to the recipy Blink (although unavailable at lower levels), witch means you have a 50% chance to disapear when you finish your turn. Did I mention it also does not need a concentration slot, so you can have all 3 buffs active at the same time?

I also disagree about two-weapon fighting. With those buffs active (preferably in this order), and your high AC, you can aford not to wield a shield. However, with the scag cantrips, dueling with a polearm (and polearm master+sentinel) is also a good option.

About armor, you want something that adds to your AC wile allowing you to keep your full dex bonus. You may also consider wearing no armor, and instead using Mage Armor if you go for the 1 level barbarian dip below:

Now, about multiclassing (the options analysed can be taken individually, a combination of Warlock with one of the 2 or not at all at your option):

This build could profit from 1 level of Barbarian, espessialy if your campain will never go to lv 20. You don't want it for the rage though (even though it's a viable backup if you're out of spells). Unarmored defance with con (an ability score you never want to dump) is always good, as you have an even better defance.

Or, you can dip 1 level dragon sorcerer, if you don't intend to heavily invest in CON.

Finally, if you want an Eldritch Knight who, wile excelent in Melee, is also excelent as a blaster, you can invest 3 levels of Warlock, to have:
    A) Eldritch Blast, arguably the best ranged blaster cantrip,
    B) One more cantrip, including scag cantrips,
    C) Hex, a real treasure this one, adding 1d6 to all your attacks, including melee. Even if you don't multiclass into Warlock, you still probably want to get it via Magic Initiate,
    D) 4 spells, including Armor of Agathys, witch combines well with your Mirror Image + Blink (+blur possibly), as a double edged knife: "You basically can't hit me, but even if you do, you get punished". Gets better with a higher level spell slot),
    E) 2 second level spell slots that are re-charged on a short rest... With your limited spell slots, this is basically a real treasure. It's also 2nd level, allowing you to cast mirror image and/or blur 2 more times per short rest.
    F) 2 Invocations. An other treasure. You either dedicate them to your blasing ability to really excel at it (the only one that will be a beter blaster than you is the Sorclock) by taking Agonising (Add your charisma mod to the damage, scrap it if your charisma is not worth it) and Repealing blast (An amasing control effect that pushes the opponent 10 feet). Especially with repealling blast, if you were going for the Jedi/Sith idead when you chose Eldritch Knight, that's the closest you'll get to it. However you can also have other interesting combinations, such as the Mask of Many Faces option, if you want to play a spy-like character, the Armor of Shadows option, if you don't intend to take the Sorcerer Level mentioned before, Devil's Sight, if you get to cast darkness somehow, or some other utility options if you want a more mage-like character than just a self-spell-buffer.
    G) A pact option. All 3 can be good for you. A Familiar can get you advantage on attack rolls, The Tome can help you turn into more of a versalite caster (though is less sugested, unless you have something very specific in mind, wile the Blade pact fits you best, giving you one more weapon (and an ever-shifting one whose shape you can change at your option) that can teleport to your hands, giving you a total of 3... Wile it might seem obsolate at first, it opens up some interesting combinations.

PS: Please note that the core spells for this build do not provide a save, do not require an attack roll and overall, allow you to dump INT in favore of more CON and/or CHA if you intend to dip into Sorcerer/Warlock. This is why the Agonising Blast/Mask of Many Faces options were precented, as bumping CHA does not necesseraly induce more MADness than a regular Eldritch Knight, merelly a diferent kind of MADness.

PS2: Please also note that this (multiclassed) build is designed for a higher-level campain between levels 12-18. The EK should have already access to 2nd level spells (Mirror Image) for this build to be effective.

PS3: After a small debate, fixed some wrong theorising about AC stacking.
    Last edited by Asmotherion; 2016-12-03 at 03:14 PM.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Asmotherion View Post
    This build could profit from 1 level of Barbarian, espessialy if your campain will never go to lv 20. You don't want it for the rage though (even though it's a viable backup if you're out of spells). Unarmored defance with con (an ability score you never want to dump) is always good, as you have an even better defance.
    Half-plate give AC17. You need Dex18 + Con16 to match it with unarmored defense, which means level 5 if you start 16/16. And many races can do 13 16 16 10 10 10.

To scale the above better (and to save you from wasting one of your precious spell slots on mage armor) you can also dip 1 level dragon sorcerer. With the right investment of your Ability Score improvements you can easyly early on have 20 CON and DEX, witch makes your AC 23... 25 if you wield a shield. Witch is more than a full plated guy.
    You'll need Dex18 for a draconic sorcerer to match half-plate. Level 5 here also.

Now, you cannot stack 13+Dex and 10+Dex+Con, pick draconic or barbarian.
    Last edited by bid; 2016-12-03 at 02:03 PM.
    Trust but verify. There's usually a reason why I believe you can't do something.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bid View Post
    Half-plate give AC17. You need Dex18 + Con16 to match it with unarmored defense, which means level 5 if you start 16/16. And many races can do 13 16 16 10 10 10.

You'll need Dex18 for a draconic sorcerer to match half-plate. Level 5 here also.

Now, you cannot stack 13+Dex and 10+Dex+Con, pick draconic or barbarian.
    About the first part:
    This is a suggested long run option, because, as a fighter you have the Ability Score Improvments to back it up. It might not be optimal at low levels, but the build starts going online at higher levels either way. That said, you are right I should clearyfy that, and I will add a ps about it after I finish this post.

About the second part: If I remember correctly, they actually stack by RAW. You can't get 2 instances of Unarmored defance (thus, you can't get both the Barbarian and Monk unarmored defance), but nothing prevents you from having the dragonic resiliance trait active as well, as it is not unarmored defance. Also, if they are not suposed to stack, then there would not have been a need to clearify that you cannot gain unarmored defance from 2 instances, as the definition would either be that you get your AC to be 10+Dex+Con or 10+Dex+Wis. In fact, it is this clearification that supports the fact that, if it was not prohibited, your AC would be equal to 10+Dex+Con+Wis, meaning the bonuses stack with other bonuses that are not Unarmored Defance or from some kind of armor. I am unaware if this has been erata-ed, but from what I know it has not.
    Last edited by Asmotherion; 2016-12-03 at 02:53 PM.

Generalist Sorcerer

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

About the second part: If I remember correctly, they actually stack by RAW. You can't get 2 instances of Unarmored defance (thus, you can't get both the Barbarian and Monk unarmored defance), but nothing prevents you from having the dragonic resiliance trait active as well, as it is not unarmored defance.
    Well, how does 13+Dex and 10+Dex+Con stack other than allowing you to pick whichever you want?

I hope you do not believe that fantasy that you can somehow get 13+Dex+Con.
    Trust but verify. There's usually a reason why I believe you can't do something.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

"Some spells and class features give you a different way to calculate your AC. If you have multiple features that give you different ways to calculate your AC, you choose which one to use."

PHB page 14.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bid View Post
    Well, how does 13+Dex and 10+Dex+Con stack other than allowing you to pick whichever you want?

I hope you do not believe that fantasy that you can somehow get 13+Dex+Con.
    As explained in my previous post, I do. And for good reasons. (read the part I will bold out as soon as I finish this post). RAW allows this, unless erata-ed.

Quote Originally Posted by CantigThimble View Post
    "Some spells and class features give you a different way to calculate your AC. If you have multiple features that give you different ways to calculate your AC, you choose which one to use."

PHB page 14.
    Valid point. However, why is there a special cause that does not allow you to get 2 instances of UD? I don't think it would be too bad if character could choose between adding their Wis or Con to their AC. So, the way I read it (and I could be wrong), is that, if this special close did not exist, the 2 instances of UD would stack, witch makes me think they are designed to stack with other bonuses. Could be a misinterpretation on my part, but the whole thing seems weird.
    Last edited by Asmotherion; 2016-12-03 at 03:02 PM.

Generalist Sorcerer

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

As explained in my previous post, I do. And for good reasons. (read the part I will bold out as soon as I finish this post). RAW allows this, unless erata-ed.
    You can't, and you're wrong. Simple as that.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Valid point. However, why is there a special cause that does not allow you to get 2 instances of UD? I don't think it would be too bad if character could choose between adding their Wis or Con to their AC. So, the way I read it (and I could be wrong), is that, if this special close did not exist, the 2 instances of UD would stack, witch makes me think they are designed to stack with other bonuses. Could be a misinterpretation on my part, but the whole thing seems weird.
    The reason why there is a rule for unarmored defense but not for mage armor and barkskin is because the features have the same name. That is the only difference. Also, one unusual sentence in the section for optional multiclassing rules really doesn't supercede the general rule about AC. If unarmored defense stacked with other methods of AC calculation (thus becoming a specific rule that would beat the general one) then it would say so in unarmored defense, not vaguely imply it the multiclassing rules.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Incorrect on page 14 of the PHB it states that if you get multiple features that give you different ways to calculate AC then you choose which one you want to use. So you cannot stack unarmored defense with mage armor or drcaonic.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, my bad :) I was under that impression for quite some time now, but I can see I was wrong. Fixed the entry, so that the above is no longer suggested.

Generalist Sorcerer

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlhen View Post

both hands.

You are right. I misremembered it for some inexplicable reason.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlhen View Post

both hands.

If the spell has both a somatic and a material component, and neither your weapon nor shield qualifies as a spellcasting focus (for pure eldritch knight that would be never), then you cannot do the somatic components with War Caster, and instead need an actual spellcasting focus (or rather, unless you have multiclassed into wizard, the actual material components) to do it. (This is why War Caster is especially great for clerics and paladins; they can use a shield with holy symbol as their spellcasting focus, and can cover huge amount of spells with that.)
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2016-12-03 at 04:30 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    If the spell has both a somatic and a material component, and neither your weapon nor shield qualifies as a spellcasting focus (for pure eldritch knight that would be never), then you cannot do the somatic components with War Caster,
    Somatic? Don't you mean material?