New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5, Campaign Setting] Traveler's Guide to Zaaman-Rul!

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    That heist would be a great low-epic campaign!

Also, Government and Politics, along with Power Groups, is posted for Alykandor, with a lot of juicy new fluff for DMofDarkness to grill me on (surprised uno hasn't been all "nitpicks some more" ). You know I love you botH! <3 <3 <3
    Sorry, school and D&D and fencing and everything else is killing me right now.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Firbolg in the Playground

That heist would be a great low-epic campaign!

Also, Government and Politics, along with Power Groups, is posted for Alykandor, with a lot of juicy new fluff for DMofDarkness to grill me on (surprised uno hasn't been all "nitpicks some more" ). You know I love you botH! <3 <3 <3
    Alright, then.

Questions:
    What technology is commonly available/used in Alykandor? Where are major technologist and traditionalist groups located? What are the dominant political views of each of the islands? What is the cost of living, with the required compressed steam to power each of the tech devices in the home? How much energy drain do the appliances put on steam sources? Is there just one main power core for the home, or are each of the bits of technology powered by their own sources? What advantages do steam-powered common utilities have over normal ones? What happens when only 3~6 elements are combined, but not all 16? Are there any known cures for this elvish disease? Why won't cure disease/remove curse work? Couldn't one of the potent mages of Alykandor cure it with a wish spell (or even the epic level spellcaster-queen herself do it)? How was this vacuum created? Is there going to be future, vacuum-based magic? Would it be possible to create more of these small elemental portals (possibly using the results that have been published about it)? If so, what is to prevent Nihrains from creating bits of element 17 themselves? With the monetary issue, how do the elves carry their wealth around? In the common D&D era, the most common currency that would be used is silver. How would the populace transport their wealth from one place to another, given the large volume of every piece of wealth except for the leaves? With inheritance of the throne, how are new heirs selected if there are more than one children of the queen? Would it be decided by birth order, military competence, arcane competence, or some other factor? What would happen if the queen died? What group would rule Alykandor? Would another monarch be decided? Also, nitpick: You said, earlier in the Alykandor post, that the royal line had no sign of dying out anytime soon. And yet, you claim that the queen has contracted an incurable illness, and had no living heirs.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Alright, then.
    Oh god what have I unleashed.

What technology is commonly available/used in Alykandor? Where are major technologist and traditionalist groups located? What are the dominant political views of each of the islands? What is the cost of living, with the required compressed steam to power each of the tech devices in the home? How much energy drain do the appliances put on steam sources? Is there just one main power core for the home, or are each of the bits of technology powered by their own sources? What advantages do steam-powered common utilities have over normal ones? What happens when only 3~6 elements are combined, but not all 16? Are there any known cures for this elvish disease? Why won't cure disease/remove curse work? Couldn't one of the potent mages of Alykandor cure it with a wish spell (or even the epic level spellcaster-queen herself do it)? How was this vacuum created? Is there going to be future, vacuum-based magic? Would it be possible to create more of these small elemental portals (possibly using the results that have been published about it)? If so, what is to prevent Nihrains from creating bits of element 17 themselves? With the monetary issue, how do the elves carry their wealth around? In the common D&D era, the most common currency that would be used is silver. How would the populace transport their wealth from one place to another, given the large volume of every piece of wealth except for the leaves? With inheritance of the throne, how are new heirs selected if there are more than one children of the queen? Would it be decided by birth order, military competence, arcane competence, or some other factor? What would happen if the queen died? What group would rule Alykandor? Would another monarch be decided? Also, nitpick: You said, earlier in the Alykandor post, that the royal line had no sign of dying out anytime soon. And yet, you claim that the queen has contracted an incurable illness, and had no living heirs.
    Ok, here we go. In order of the questions asked above:
    1. Steam technology, as per steamblades/steamarmor in the Alykandor post. Basically, they have miniaturized steam generators and use them in all applications they can. They also have material synthesis to a limited degree thanks to the portals beneath Kahlai. Beyond that, just your standard D&D tech level, modified as above.
    2. Technologists are on Loheb, Traditionalists on Sorana.
    3. The above two are clear. Bakra is fairly split, but since it's mostly military, Bakra is less of a political battleground.
    4. Enough that base labor can't sustain steam tech, but a merchant, artisan, soldier, or skilled labor can.
    5. Not a great deal, but c.steam is far cheaper in Alykandor than elsewhere (subsidized by the government, who creates it; can also be made at home by a arcane caster or techmage of at least 3rd level), so most decent income homes can buy as much as needed.
    6. Depends on the owner. Single boilers do exist and are quite common, for ease of recharging, but some people prefer individual boilers.
    7. They get to full power instantly, instead of waiting for a time (ovens are big for this). They can power things that normal tech can't (such as fridges, thanks to spinning fans and moving cold air constantly, something mechanical power can't do as easily).
    8. Nothing, as far as anyone can tell.
    9. It's an aging disease, a genetic degradation. Technically, it's not actually a "disease" or even a sickness. It's old age killing them cause their body just breaks down.
    10. No, wish can't do it, not even epic magic could (if epic magic existed, which it doesn't). The degradation dates to the divine mandate of the Dark Prince to the pale elves. This of course isn't known by anyone, but we know it. ^_^
    11. Magically entirely. They have access to walls of force, can make something that approximates a stasis chamber, and have raw elemental vacuum. It follows that they can make vacuum walls.
    12. Yes, ideally.
    13. No, since no results have been published on those. Those are state secrets and the magic involved is not understood, making it dangerous to fiddle with.
    14. N/A
    15. In a pouch, like anyone else.
    16. They have written currency, but the hard currency is the plant life. Most of it is small though, so that's not an issue. The squares are quite thin and come on loops of thread, to hang from a belt. The berries and seeds are small. The leaves are thin and can be rolled. The cones are large, but mostly unused.
    17. The current ruler decides.
    18. See above. It depends on each ruler's judgment, as is their right.
    19. Alykandor's throne would be empty for the first time ever. The possible implications are staggering. The Body Politic would have rulership by default, though no codes are on the books to explain what happens. Most likely, the Body Politic would elect a member of their number to the throne.
    20. See above.
    21. See above.
    22. Ah. Bad wording on my part. What I meant was the more colloquial meaning of "no sign of dying out", where that means "the idea of the monarchy is still strong as ever". This is not a monarchy that is despised by the people. Honestly, if the Queen dies without an heir, the people will DEMAND one from the Body Politic, making a coup hard to accomplish.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

Warning: The next two or so weeks are going to be very heavy for me (finals, lots of papers/projects coming up, etc), so updates may get reaaaally thin. Sorry folks, but I have to prioritize.

Also, I may have just gotten a job, so that's not going to help the time thing. I *will* continue working on this, but it'll be a bit light for the time being. Don't think it's dead though.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

This is not yet dead! Here, have a teaser for something I've been fiddling with recently:
    The Juggernaut

GAME RULE INFORMATION
    Juggernauts have the following game statistics.
    Abilities: Constitution improves almost all of the juggernaut’s abilities and is their most vital ability. Strength, Dexterity, and Wisdom all key to one of the three forms as well, but are all less vital than Constitution to a juggernaut.
    Alignment: Any.
    Hit Die: d12.

Class Skills
    The juggernaut’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
    Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Juggernaut
    Level
    Base Attack Bonus
    Fort Save
    Ref Save
    Will Save
    Special
    1 +1 +2 +0 +2 Momentum
    2 +2 +3 +0 +3 The Three Forms
    3 +3 +3 +1 +3 Strength of Arms
    4 +4 +4 +1 +4 Strength of Body
    5 +5 +4 +1 +4 Strength of Speed
    6 +6/+1 +5 +2 +5 Increasing Momentum +2
    7 +7/+2 +5 +2 +5 Magnetic Pull
    8 +8/+3 +6 +2 +6 Improved Strength of Arms
    9 +9/+4 +6 +3 +6 Improved Strength of Body
    10 +10/+5 +7 +3 +7 Improved Strength of Speed
    11 +11/+6/+1 +7 +3 +7 Increasing Momentum +3
    12 +12/+7/+2 +8 +4 +8 xxx
    13 +13/+8/+3 +8 +4 +8 Superior Strength of Arms
    14 +14/+9/+4 +9 +4 +9 Superior Strength of Body
    15 +15/+10/+5 +9 +5 +9 Superior Strength of Speed
    16 +16/+11/+6/+1 +10 +5 +10 Increasing Momentum +4
    17 +17/+12/+7/+2 +10 +5 +10 Extreme Strength of Arms
    18 +18/+13/+8/+3 +11 +6 +11 Extreme Strength of Body
    19 +19/+14/+9/+4 +11 +6 +11 Extreme Strength of Speed
    20 +20/+15/+10/+5 +12 +6 +12 Unstoppable Force, Immovable Object

It's not formatted, but don't worry about that. I'll obviously format it when the time comes.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

Oooh, Juggernaut seems interesting/cool.

Here is the Speaker for the Ancient Winters:

Speaker for the Ancient Winters

[1]

The Speakers for the Ancient Winters are a group of druids, shamans, clerics and wizards that seek the power of the frozen wastes. They draw power from the frost, from the cold, and wonder at the snow and ice. Most, if not all, live in Northwind, so as to be closest to the frost. They are all a part of the Frozen Council, the group that regulates and controls the weather of the northern reaches.

They devote themselves to the Ancient Winters, seeking the strength of ice, and believing that only those who are strong enough to survive the winters should survive. To test new members, they force them into the wild, and tell them they must survive for a month without the use of magic or powers. If they are able to survive in such a climate, they are allowed to join the ranks.

The Council is charged with the preservation of the mountains and peaks, the frozen tundras and icebergs. They attack those that would attempt to desecrate those areas.

BECOMING A SPEAKER FOR THE ANCIENT WINTERS
    How you would normally become a member of this prestige class.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Base Attack Bonus: +4
    Skills: Survival 9 ranks, Knowledge (Nature) 9 ranks
    Spellcasting: Able to cast spells with the [Cold] descriptor of at least 3rd level.
    Special: Must have entered into the ranks of the Frozen Council.

Class Skills
    The Class Name's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Jump (Str), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
    Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Hit Dice: d8

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    | Power of the Ancient Winters|+1 level spellcasting class

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Endure|+1 level spellcasting class

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Permafrost|+1 level spellcasting class

4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Howl of the Blizzard|+1 level spellcasting class

5th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Bite of Winter|+1 level spellcasting class

6th|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Constant Winter|+1 level spellcasting class

7th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Hypothermia|+1 level spellcasting class

8th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Freeze the Sky|+1 level spellcasting class

9th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Frozen Diamond|+1 level spellcasting class

10th|
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Freeze the Heart|+1 level spellcasting class[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: The Speaker for the Ancient Winters does not gain proficiency with any weapons or armor.

Spellcasting At every level, the Speaker for the Ancient Winters increases the spells per day (and spells known, if applicable), of a casting class he had before entering this prestige class.

If the speaker had more than one casting class before entering this prestige class, he must choose which one to increase.

Power of the Ancient Winters: The Speaker for the Ancient Winters adds all spells with the cold descriptor to his spell list. He becomes unable to cast any spell of the fire descriptor, even through wands or other means of non-personal casting, and removes all spells with the fire descriptor from his spell list. Additionally, the Speaker is immune to the effects of weather inside the confines of the border of Northwind.

Endure (Su): Starting at second level, the Speaker for the Ancient Winters generates an Aura that affects all of his allies, giving them Cold resistance equal to the caster level of the Speaker for the Ancient Winters.

Permafrost (Su): Starting at third level, whenever the Speaker for the Ancient Winters casts a spell with the [Cold] descriptor, the ground around him freezes over, draining the heat from all those surrounding him. He deals Cold damage to all enemies within 30 feet equal to his Speaker for the Ancient Winters’ levels, every round, for a number of rounds equal to the level of the spell cast. Multiple applications of this effect do not stack.

Howl of the Blizzard (Su): Starting at fourth level, once per encounter, the speaker for the ancient winters may shout, dealing 1d6 damage per Speaker for the Ancient Winters’ level they posses, to every enemy within 30 feet. Half of this damage is cold damage, and half is sonic. Anyone affected by this ability must make a Will save, or be slowed (as the spell) for 3 rounds.

Bite of Winter (Su): Starting at fifth level, whenever the Speaker for the Ancient Winters deals Cold damage to an enemy, their movement speeds are reduced by 5 feet. This effect stacks with itself, and lasts for 3 rounds. The Speaker may only reduce the movement speed of an opponent once per round, although he may do so for however many opponents he deals Cold damage to.

Constant Winter (Su): Starting at sixth level, the Speaker for the Ancient Winters exudes an Aura of Coldness to thirty feet, turning all temperatures in the area to 0 degrees Celcius, freezing even water. A fire spell in the vicinity supresses the Aura for a number of rounds equal to the level of the spell cast. Any enemy in the area’s Cold resistance is reduced by 10, while in the area of this Aura. He may suppress this Aura as a swift action.

Hypothermia (Ex): Starting at seventh level, the Speaker for the Ancient Winters becomes immune to all frost damage, and may expend a spell with the cold descriptor in order to cast a Dispel Magic of equivalent spell level. If the Speaker does not prepare spells, he may expend any spell slot, but casts a Dispel Magic of one spell level lower than the slot expended.

Freeze the Sky (Su): Starting at eighth level, the Speaker for the Ancient Winters may create a vast expanse of such cold that the blood in all surrounding veins freezes in place. All enemies within 30 feet take 1d6 cold damage per Speaker for the Ancient Winters level the user possesses, and must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + Speaker for the Ancient Winters’ levels + casting Statistic) or become unable to fly until the end of the encounter, dropping to the ground immediately, taking the falling damage. This ability may only be used once per day.

Frozen Diamond (Su): Starting at ninth level, the Speaker for the Ancient Winters may sacrifice a spell slot, losing it as if it had been cast. He creates a diamond of pure frost, which has a hardness of 100, and 50 hit points. The Speaker for the Ancient Winters may suppress the hardness of the diamond as a free action, and reduce its hit points to 10. When shattered, it deals 2d6 damage per spell level of the spell sacrificed,to all enemies in a 30 foot spread. Diamonds last up to 4 hours, and are reduced to water as soon as the Speaker for the Ancient Winters prepares spells again. There may only ever be one diamond from one Speaker in existence at any time. If the Speaker tries to create another when he already has one, the diamond with the lowest spell levels disappears.

Freeze the Heart (Su): Starting at tenth level, if, at any time, an opponent affected by the Speaker for the Ancient Winters' Constant Winter ability, does not move for two rounds in a row, and takes Cold damage from the Speaker of the Ancient Winters in both of those rounds, that opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + Speaker for the Ancient Winters’ levels + casting Statistic) or die. If they make the save, the process must start again. The opponent takes a -2 penalty to the Fortitude save for every time they make the save in a row.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-01-18 at 06:37 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

UNFORMATTED CLASS
    BAD ARGGGGGG.

Falcon...Format!

Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
    1| +1 |+2 |+0 |+2 |Momentum
    2| +2 |+3 |+0 |+3 |The Three Forms
    3| +3 |+3 |+1 |+3 |Strength of Arms
    4| +4 |+4 |+1 |+4 |Strength of Body
    5| +5 |+4 |+1 |+4 |Strength of Speed
    6| +6/+1 |+5 |+2 |+5 |Increasing Momentum +2
    7| +7/+2 |+5 |+2 |+5 |Magnetic Pull
    8| +8/+3 |+6 |+2 |+6 |Improved Strength of Arms
    9| +9/+4 |+6 |+3 |+6 |Improved Strength of Body
    10| +10/+5 |+7 |+3 |+7 |Improved Strength of Speed
    11| +11/+6/+1 |+7 |+3 |+7 |Increasing Momentum +3
    12| +12/+7/+2 |+8 |+4 |+8 |xxx
    13| +13/+8/+3 |+8 |+4 |+8 |Superior Strength of Arms
    14| +14/+9/+4 |+9 |+4 |+9 |Superior Strength of Body
    15| +15/+10/+5 |+9 |+5 |+9 |Superior Strength of Speed
    16| +16/+11/+6/+1 |+10 |+5 |+10 |Increasing Momentum +4
    17| +17/+12/+7/+2 |+10 |+5 |+10 |Extreme Strength of Arms
    18| +18/+13/+8/+3 |+11 |+6 |+11 |Extreme Strength of Body
    19| +19/+14/+9/+4 |+11 |+6 |+11 |Extreme Strength of Speed
    20| +20/+15/+10/+5 |+12 |+6 |+12 |Unstoppable Force, Immovable Object[/table]

Since the rate of posting on this thread made it difficult to follow quite some time ago, I'll probably just 'port in every now and then(like I am now) and drop some wisdom and/or helpful tools.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

8. - Top - End - #338

Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    Falcon...Format!
    I had a Super Smash Bros. Brawl match with four Captain Falcons today. It was so full of "Oooooooooouyuuouoiuoooou!"s, "Hwaa"s and "Falcon..."s that my head exploded, regenerating only five minutes ago so I could post this.

Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Base Attack Bonus: +4
    Skills: Survival 9 ranks, Knowledge (Nature) 9 ranks
    Spellcasting: Able to cast spells with the [Cold] descriptor of at least 3rd level.
    Special: Must have entered into the ranks of the Frozen Council.
    Ok, fine. The BAB requirement is.. odd, but fine.

Class Skills
    The Class Name's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are....
    Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int
    I was unaware that "..." was a skill.

Hit Dice: d8
    Fine.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    | Power of the Ancient Winters

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Endure

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Permafrost

4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Howl of the Blizzard

5th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Bite of Winter

6th|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Constant Winter

7th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Hypothermia

8th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Freeze the Sky

9th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Frozen Diamond

10th|
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Freeze the Heart[/table]
    Fine.

Weapon Proficiencies: The Speaker for the Ancient Winters does not gain proficiency with any weapons, but is proficient with all light and medium armor.
    ...why did you add the armor profs? The intended entry here appears to be either Ranger 1/Cleric 5 or Druid 5, yeah? None of the above need the armor.

Power of the Ancient Winters: The Speaker for the Ancient Winters adds all spells with the cold descriptor to his spell list. He becomes unable to cast any spell of the fire descriptor, even through wands or other means of non-personal casting, and removes all spells with the fire descriptor from his spell list.
    Ok, fine. Has some issues, like "from what lists are these spells", but generally fine.

Endure (Su): Starting at second level, the Speaker for the Ancient Winters generates an Aura that affects all of his allies, giving them the effect of the Endure Elements spell. They also gain Cold resistance equal to the caster level of the Speaker for the Ancient Winters.
    No reason to have endure elements if you have cold resistance. Drop the spell duplication.

Permafrost (Su): Starting at third level, whenever the Speaker for the Ancient Winters casts a spell with the [Cold] descriptor, the ground around him freezes over, draining the heat from all those surrounding him. He deals Cold damage to all enemies within 30 feet equal to his Speaker for the Ancient Winters’ levels, every round, for a number of rounds equal to the level of the spell cast. Multiple applications of this effect do not stack.
    The amount of damage has not been stated. Why is that? He does it for a number of rounds=level of spell cast, but not how much. Might want to fix that.

Howl of the Blizzard (Su): Starting at fourth level, once per encounter, the speaker for the ancient winters may shout, dealing 1d6 damage per Speaker for the Ancient Winters’ level they posses, to every enemy within 30 feet. Half of this damage is cold damage, and half is sonic. Anyone affected by this ability must make a Will save, or be slowed (as the spell) for 3 rounds.
    Uh... ok? This just makes me go "why?" It's not a bad ability, just a confusing one. I get that it's duplicating the thematics of a blizzard, but it feels out of place. Perhaps that's just me though.

Bite of Winter (Su): Starting at fifth level, whenever the Speaker for the Ancient Winters deals frost damage to an enemy, their movement speeds are reduced by 5 feet. This effect stacks with itself, and lasts for 3 rounds.
    "frost" is not a damage type, "cold" is.

Also, this really shouldn't stack with itself, or perhaps have an upper cap on reductions. Otherwise, slowing someone into the ground would happen far too quickly.

Constant Winter (Su): Starting at sixth level, the Speaker for the Ancient Winters exudes an Aura of Coldness to thirty feet, turning all temperatures in the area to 0 degrees Celcius, freezing even water. A fire spell in the vicinity supresses the Aura for a number of rounds equal to the level of the spell cast. Any enemy in the area’s Cold resistance is reduced by 10, while in the area of this Aura.
    This is nice, but potentially dangerous. Walk into town with this and see what happens. Needs to be suppressible.

Hypothermia (Ex): Starting at seventh level, the Speaker for the Ancient Winters becomes immune to all frost damage, and counter and any spell with the [Cold] descriptor by expending any spell slot, as an immediate action.
    Eeeeeh, I don't like the countering ability. Perhaps changing it so that they may use any spell with the [Cold] descriptor as a dispel magic or equivalent for the spell's level.

Freeze the Sky (Su): Starting at eighth level, the Speaker for the Ancient Winters may create a vast expanse of such cold that the blood in all surrounding veins freezes in place. All enemies within 30 feet take 1d6 cold damage per Speaker for the Ancient Winters level the user possesses, and become unable to fly or move until the end of the encounter, dropping to the ground immediately, taking the falling damage. This ability may only be used once per day.
    Yeah no. Being able to, once per day, be all "you get no save and are permanently held until 'end of encounter', ie. until I cut your face off" is overpowered. This needs to change, drastically.

Frozen Diamond (Su): Starting at ninth level, the Speaker for the Ancient Winters may sacrifice a spell slot, losing it as if it had been cast. He creates a diamond of pure frost, which has a hardness of 100, and 50 hit points. The Speaker for the Ancient Winters may suppress the hardness of the diamond as a free action, and reduce its hit points to 10. When shattered, it deals 2d6 damage per spell level of the spell sacrificed,to all enemies in a 30 foot spread. It freezes enemies in place, not allowing them to move, and reducing their movement speed to 0 for 4d4 rounds. Diamonds last up to 4 hours, and are reduced to water as soon as the Speaker for the Ancient Winters prepares spells again.
    Soooo, you can turn ALL of your spell slots into these grenades, each of which deals meh damage but auto stun-locks anyone with no save? Again, this is broooookenly good. Change it.

Freeze the Heart (Su): Starting at tenth level, if, at any time, an opponent does not move for two rounds in a row, and takes Cold damage in both of those rounds, that opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + Speaker for the Ancient Winters’ levels + Intelligence or Wisdom modifier, whichever is higher). If they make the save, the process must start again. The opponent takes a -2 penalty to the Fortitude save for every time they make the save in a row.
    ...save or what? This doesn't DO anything. I can take a guess, but as written, nothing happens. They just make a save.

The class is awful until level 8. You get no casting progression, no truly useful abilities, some minor blasting stuff really. At level 8, you suddenly become "EVERYTHING DIES RAWRGH!" That's... not a good dichotomy. I like the names, I like the flavor and feel of the thing. That's all really excellent, and honestly, that you wanted to make a derivative work is flattering, but this needs to be revamped somewhat. I'm too tired atm to make good suggestions, but yeah, it needs work. Lots of potential, and I can see a place for it in Northwind I think, but as it stands, work has yet to be done on it.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

I was unaware that "..." was a skill.
    Yeah, I haven't really had a chance to finish up the skills or any details I missed. Similarly, this class is supposed to receive full casting... which I conveniently forgot.

...why did you add the armor profs? The intended entry here appears to be either Ranger 1/Cleric 5 or Druid 5, yeah? None of the above need the armor.
    OK, I can change it.

No reason to have endure elements if you have cold resistance. Drop the spell duplication.
    Got it.

The amount of damage has not been stated. Why is that? He does it for a number of rounds=level of spell cast, but not how much. Might want to fix that.
    ... Actually, it is stated. In the description.

Uh... ok? This just makes me go "why?" It's not a bad ability, just a confusing one. I get that it's duplicating the thematics of a blizzard, but it feels out of place. Perhaps that's just me though.
    Well, from a game design standpoint, this class relies heavily on spells. It has abilities that boost them, ways to get around them, but the thing that it kind of lacks are non-spell abilities. For instance; let us say that a Spell Thief comes up against a Speaker for the Ancient Winters. What would happen? Well, depending on the level, the most likely thing that would happen is that the Speaker would get off a few spells; and then what? Well, without abilities like these, they would be essentially useless. I wanted to make abilities that did not necessarily piggy-back off of spells, but also allowed the class to function in its own right. Howl of the Blizzard is one of a few of these abilities. I do not really understand how it feels out of place. Are there many other spells that duplicate that effect? Where are they?

"frost" is not a damage type, "cold" is.
    Wow... I fail.

Also, this really shouldn't stack with itself, or perhaps have an upper cap on reductions. Otherwise, slowing someone into the ground would happen far too quickly.
    If I understand stacking the way I think I understand stacking, then if I limit it to one speed reduction per opponent per round, as I had meant to when I first wrote it, then it should be fine.

Of course this relies on the way that I think I understand stacking, which probably needs clarification. From what I understand, stacking multiple effects does not increase or reset the timers on their durations. If this is true, that means that the Speaker can only reduce an opponent's speed by 15 feet at any point in time. Only those who are fairly slow would ever be entirely slowed, without being able to move at all. Is this the way that stacking works?

This is nice, but potentially dangerous. Walk into town with this and see what happens. Needs to be suppressible.
    OK.

Eeeeeh, I don't like the countering ability. Perhaps changing it so that they may use any spell with the [Cold] descriptor as a dispel magic or equivalent for the spell's level.
    OK.

Yeah no. Being able to, once per day, be all "you get no save and are permanently held until 'end of encounter', ie. until I cut your face off" is overpowered. This needs to change, drastically.
    Ah. This was meant to only affect those who could fly, reducing their fly speed to 0, rather than their movement speeds in general. I will clarify.

Soooo, you can turn ALL of your spell slots into these grenades, each of which deals meh damage but auto stun-locks anyone with no save? Again, this is broooookenly good. Change it.
    Stun-lock? It hardly seems that drastic. A stun-lock, from the way I understand it, would mean that the opponent is completely unable to do anything at all, such as with the effects of stun. The "Bombs" reduce movement speed to 0. Do you wish me to remove the movement speed reducer? I could do that, it isn't really that important of a feature of the ability.

...save or what? This doesn't DO anything. I can take a guess, but as written, nothing happens. They just make a save.
    Sorry, that was a typo. It is meant to be save or die.

The class is awful until level 8. You get no casting progression, no truly useful abilities, some minor blasting stuff really. At level 8, you suddenly become "EVERYTHING DIES RAWRGH!" That's... not a good dichotomy. I like the names, I like the flavor and feel of the thing. That's all really excellent, and honestly, that you wanted to make a derivative work is flattering, but this needs to be revamped somewhat. I'm too tired atm to make good suggestions, but yeah, it needs work. Lots of potential, and I can see a place for it in Northwind I think, but as it stands, work has yet to be done on it.
    Again, casting progression is something I forgot to add. In all honesty, I worked on this over a long period, but managed to type it up in under thirty minutes. I am surprised there are not more errors. I will fix the things that you appear to be dead set on, and clarify the things I messed up.

[Edit]: ... and everything is updated.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2010-12-06 at 10:47 AM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #341

...So... 2 weeks... updates... something about that...
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    ...So... 2 weeks... updates... something about that...
    Yeah. About that. My finals were yesterday, and I've been shanghaied into a possible campaign in a few weeks, so I've been distracted. However! That said! The Juggernaut continues, if slowly, and I've got some fresh thoughts for Z-R. Fear not. Expect the end of Alykandor's updates inside of five days (Saturday is busy, but Sunday and all of next week is not), and some work on Northwind and Tharkrixghantix shortly thereafter.

EDIT: Religion/Major Settlements are both done. I'll get around to Adventuring sooner than later. Perhaps tonight, maybe not though.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2010-12-10 at 06:38 PM.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, time for an explanation and apology to you good people.

So, on the... 9th, I think it was, I had my finals. I thought I was gonna have a big block of free time to hammer out more of this. However, a combination of being forced out of the house to search for a job for 8 hours a day and being tasked with a ton of errands and chores and things to pay for my keep here have kinda drained me of energy.

I *did* get around to beginning Northwind and finishing Alykandor, but there haven't been the promised mega-updates, nor a secondary critique of the Speaker of Ancient Winters as I promised, and for that, I am shamed. I made a promise, and fell through. I don't know if anyone else is still reading this, but if you are, I'm terribly sorry. I won't make a promise of content again, but dammit, I'm gonna try to get more done soon. Northwind will be finished by Christmas, but a crushing lack of creative energy isn't helping my case.

tl;dr: I ****ed up, I'm sorry, I'm trying to work more but no guarantees.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

I would hardly say I feel angry about the situation. It is apparent that you have been incredibly busy, and I think I would be at fault if I were to blame you, and I don't. Good luck, and I can't wait for Northwind!

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #345

Ok, time for an explanation and apology to you good people.

So, on the... 9th, I think it was, I had my finals. I thought I was gonna have a big block of free time to hammer out more of this. However, a combination of being forced out of the house to search for a job for 8 hours a day and being tasked with a ton of errands and chores and things to pay for my keep here have kinda drained me of energy.

I *did* get around to beginning Northwind and finishing Alykandor, but there haven't been the promised mega-updates, nor a secondary critique of the Speaker of Ancient Winters as I promised, and for that, I am shamed. I made a promise, and fell through. I don't know if anyone else is still reading this, but if you are, I'm terribly sorry. I won't make a promise of content again, but dammit, I'm gonna try to get more done soon. Northwind will be finished by Christmas, but a crushing lack of creative energy isn't helping my case.

Your finals were on the ninth.

I know the feeling. I'm kind of getting that for [Title] right now. I should post, but I'm so painfully busy with homework that I really don't want to do much. Posting light homebrew is more relaxing, which is what I need.

Another issue coming up recently hasn't helped at all.

So, yeah, I understand. Don't beat yourself up too much. It's for a game, which is far less important than your real life career and such. Take your time.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sad because I screwed up. Sorry for screwing up.
    Eh, don't worry about it.

You have a good reason and you told us about it, so it's fine. Besides, I can understand the creativity meltdown...

I'm going to take this opportunity to congratulate you, actually. You've stuck with a fairly large scale project(even if it has been overshadowed by the release of another, larger project, it's still pretty big) for...well, for longer than I ever have done so. Even if I'm full of inspiration, any campaign setting projects I start usually dry up in about half of the time this has been going-at the longest.

Besides, in the long run you can produce more homebrew/Z-R material if you aren't a bum on the street than if you feverishly work now and then become a bum. I think we'd all rather have still-here-even-though-he's-absurdly-busy ARGGGG rather than a memory, pile of stats and a not-online-because-he's-homeless-and-jobless ARGGGG.

(I am very, very tempted to make a meta-joke here, just saying)

17. - Top - End - #347
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

And that would be bad.
    Four Gods wait on the windowsill
    Where once eight Gods did war and will,
    And if the gods themselves may die,
    What does that say for you and I?

Now three Gods sit on the windowsill,
    Where one God's blood was lately spilled
    Black tounges lap at the spreading pool,
    To build the strength they need to rule.

- The Quartet For The Dusk Of Man, Tycho Ephemerous Brahe

Call me Apoc.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I appreciate the support folks.

I've got Northwind open in another tab atm, and some new information coming up sooner than later.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

And the promised mega-update of Northwind cometh!

I'll probably finish the rest of it shortly, if not tomorrow. I'm on a northerly roll. And unosarta, with the new revelations above, perhaps you'd like to take a second look at the Speaker and revise it based on what you see? If not, hey, that's fine, just thought you might find some details of interest (and I even included your class in the post ) to your fluff. I'll get to giving a real critique eventually, probably not today though.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

This setting reminds me of Warhammer 40k combined with D&D.

Call me Apoc.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    This setting reminds me of Warhammer 40k combined with D&D.
    As I think I said somewhere at some point (was that in [Title]? I have no idea anymore), the original "final" draft for Z-R (of the dozens I burned through, it was the first one to stick and actually get details) was Dungeons and Warhammers 40k basically. It was vastly darker and more depressing than Z-R currently stands (example: the Intolians were far more grim and liked to torture and kill suspected "heretics", which counted as any non-loyal citizen; they were a far more direct reskin of the Imperium than they are now).

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

Woah, what the hell is this? Is it an.. update?! It is!

Ok, so, fairly big update for ya'll fine folks. Northwind is almost entirely complete. The only thing remaining is the section on Tharkrixghantix, and it's only delayed cause I started classes today, and cause of the next thing I have for you.

The other thing is that I had a brainstorm earlier today and created a unique artifact for Intolar, added to a new section in that post titled "Artifacts of Intolar". It's copied below for you (and yes, the name is shamelessly stolen from reality). Mechanically, the artifact is... unimpressive, but the lore is juicy and it's a nice little thing for folks to read over and go "wow, he's still working on this, good to know".

Spoiler
    Show
    The Seal of Solomon
    This ancient and worn brass amulet is a disc about three inches across and inscribed with a circular pattern of words in ancient Intolian, barely legible to begin with from the age. The chain is a simple copper wire, magically strengthened to never break. The chain is sized for a human warrior and can be worn comfortably in all circumstances, seemingly fitting itself perfectly to the situation at hand.

The history of The Seal is a long and complex one. In the mists of prehistory, when the land that would be called Intolar one day was in the process of unification, eventually the final great conflict came. On one side was the first emperor, Intolar I, who gave his name to the line of succession and the empire itself, and on the other side was the most powerful of the warlords of the day, a warrior named Solomon. Solomon was that rarest of warriors, an enlightened warlord, savage in war and kind in peace. He was said to possess fantastic endurance, enormous strength, infinite wisdom, and unending patience. The conflict between the fledgling empire and the lands of Solomon was as inevitable as the tides. Solomon offered to coexist peacefully, but Intolar I refused, stating that he wished to unify the land under a single banner for the betterment of man. The warlord responded with a provocative "if you can", and the war began.

Their war raged for a dozen years, and Intolar I, already in his middle years, grew old. Finally, he offered to end the war in a decisive moment, a duel between himself and Solomon, to the death. The winner of the duel would be the winner of the war. Solomon agreed, and the two men, now old and past their prime, met face to face on the field of battle. Invigorated by their meeting, they fought with the strength and fire of young men, and though the warlord fought long and hard, Intolar I proved the stronger. Solomon fell and his domains were absorbed into the empire, but his spirit, ever unquenchable, endured in the symbol of his reign, the brass amulet he wore around his neck. Since that day so very long ago, The Seal has bounced around Zaaman-Rul, avoiding the throne that killed its rightful holder, and seeking the downfall of the Intolian Empire.

Powers of The Seal of Solomon: The amulet of the ancient warlord is infused with his indomitability and his wisdom, and grants such powers to the user. The wearer of the amulet gains a +6 enhancement bonus to their Strength and Wisdom scores, and gains DR 10/-. The act of wearing The Seal also grants an undispellable mind blank effect. Finally, The Seal doubles its wearer's hit points (ie. they have twice the max HP, so if Bob with 45 hp puts on the amulet, he suddenly has 90).

The Seal despises Intolian citizens, and refuses to function for them, instead laying a terrible wasting curse upon any that dare to wear it. Any Intolian citizen who wears Solomon's amulet is inflicted with a magical curse that drains 1 point of Constitution a day until they either die or receive a break enchantment followed by a heal and a remove curse. All of these must be cast in a single round, or they have no effect.

Should The Seal resurface and its whereabouts become known, Intolar will seek it at any cost. The emperors consider the amulet to be an Imperial Treasure and their rightful property, despite the amulet's hatred for them, and seek it obtain it. Merely having come into contact with The Seal can be hazardous should Imperial agents find out.

Finally, the last little thing is that Quirks are destined for inclusion here, and I'll be editing the OP accordingly, so if you're still interested in this (unlikely, after my abusing the update schedule so badly), go check that stuff out too.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Is there a nick-name for...Tharkrizgheki thing? It seems a bit... long.

Call me Apoc.

24. - Top - End - #354

I'd call it Tharkrix for short. Maybe Thark or Thar, if you're speaking really informally.

I suppose that's up to argus, though.
    Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    I'd call it Tharkrix for short. Maybe Thark or Thar, if you're speaking really informally.

I call it T-ix.

Also, you mention that the seal hates Intolar-wouldn't it make sense for it to be sentient, then?

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

I call it T-ix.

Also, you mention that the seal hates Intolar-wouldn't it make sense for it to be sentient, then?
    Are there any sentient artifacts? I imagine that it would be a really cool concept.

Also; Solomon could totally be a vestige.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

I personally use none. Tharkrixghantix is the title, and it's what I say. My suggestion would be to tell your brower's spellcheck that "Tharkrixghantix" is a correct word, and whenever you get close, it'll suggest it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post

If you're going to use a nickname, I'd roll with Tharkrix, the most powerful sounds in the name.

There are other artifacts that have emotions and desires, but are non-sentient. The Seal of Solomon is one such artifact. It possesses Solomon's hatred for Intolar I and his successors, but it has no thoughts or actions.

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    Are there any sentient artifacts? I imagine that it would be a really cool concept.
    I believe there are, yes.

Also; Solomon could totally be a vestige.
    ...that he could! I'll make a note of that and get to work on it eventually (man, the list of "stuff to do" is getting lengthy).

Also, expect Tharkrixghantix to go up later today, with Xortal shortly thereafter.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, Tharkrixghantix's little blurb is actually done now. Xortal will be on the list for tonight/tomorrow between classes.

29. - Top - End - #359

Ok, Tharkrixghantix's little blurb is actually done now. Xortal will be on the list for tonight/tomorrow between classes.
    Excellent. This will be interesting...
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

I loved the description for Tharkrixghantix. It sounds awesome!

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show