New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Draugr Template (WIP, PEACH)

I don't have enough time to post fluff/a sample creature at this moment, but I just want to post the template here because I can't save it on the computer I am currently on. I shall return to do this shortly. In the meantime, what do you think of the template itself?

Spoiler
    Show

Draugr, 5th Level Dwarf Barbarian
    Spoiler
    Show
    Medium Undead (Augmented Humanoid)
    Hit Dice:
    5d12+5 (37 hp)
    Initiative: +6
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 20 (+4 Chain Shirt, +1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 11, flatfooted 19
    Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+10
    Attack: Long sword +10 melee (1d8+5 damage)
    Full Attack: Long sword +10 melee (1d8+5 damage), plus Slam +10 melee (1d8+5 damage)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Aura of Delirium, Befouling Gaze, Blood Drain, Rage 2/day, Spell-like Abilities
    Special Qualities: +4 Turn Resistance, Alternate Form, Damage Reduction 5/Cold Iron and Magic, Earth Glide, Enlarge, Fast Healing 5, Fast Movement, Immunity to Cold and Fire, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Trap Sense
    Saves: Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +7
    Abilities: Str 20, Dex 12, Con ---, Int 8, Wis 19, Cha 18
    Skills: Climb +13, Hide +9, Listen +22, Move Silently +9, Spot +22, Survival +20, Swim +13
    Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative(B), Improved Toughness(B), Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Combat Reflexes
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 7
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Chaotic Evil
    Advancement: By character class
    Level Adjustment: +6

Alternate Form (Su): A draugr can assume the shape of a seal or lynx as a standard action. While in this new form, the draugr gains its extraordinary abilities. The draugr retains this shape until it chooses another.

Aura of Delirium (Su): All creatures of the Animal type that remain within one mile of the draugr must make a Fortitude save (DC 16) each day, with the save DC increasing by one for each consecutive day the animal remains within one mile of the draugr. Should they fail the save, they become rabid; they attack any other creature that they see with an intense ferocity, granting them a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls while also giving them a -2 penalty to armor class.

Befouling Gaze (Su): As a standard action, a draugr can taint the mind of a creature within 30 ft. of it with a single glance. Creatures that meet the draugr’s gaze attack must make a Fortitude save (DC 16), or take 1d4 points of Wisdom damage and 1 point of Wisdom drain. Regardless of whether or not the target succeeds on the Fortitude save, the victim cannot be affected by that draugr’s gaze attack for another 24 hours.

Blood Drain (Ex): A draugr can suck blood from a living victim with its fangs by making a successful grapple check. If it pins the foe, it drains blood, dealing 2 points of Constitution drain each round the pin is maintained. On each such successful attack, the draugr gains 5 temporary hit points.

Earth Glide (Ex): Draugar can glide through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish swims through water. Its burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other signs of its presence. A Move Earth spell cast on an area containing a burrowing draugr flings the undead back 30 feet.

Enlarge (Sp): This ability works like Enlarge Person, except it works only on the draugr (despite not being Humanoid) and cannot be dispelled by a Reduce Person spell. This ability is usable 3/day. Caster Level 15th.

Fast Healing (Ex): A draugr heals 5 points of damage each round so long as it has at least 1 hit point. If reduced to 0 hit points, the draugr immediately crumbles to dust. One week later, this dust reforms into the draugr with 1 hit point, at which point the fast healing resumes. The only way to permanently kill a draugr is the either to wrestle it back into its grave or to gather the dust and throw it into a body of salt water.

Fast Movement (Ex): This dwarf can move 30 ft. per move action rather than 20 ft, so long as he wears no armor, light armor, or medium armor, and is not carrying a heavy load.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): This barbarian retains his Dexterity bonus to his AC, even when flat-footed or attacked by an invisible foe. He still loses his Dexterity bonus if somehow immobilized. In addition, the barbarian cannot be flanked.

Rage (Ex): This barbarian can fly into a rage a twice per day. In a rage, a barbarian temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, but he takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class. While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats. A fit of rage lasts for 3 rounds. A barbarian may prematurely end his rage. At the end of the rage, the barbarian loses the rage modifiers but does not become fatigued. A barbarian can only enter a rage once per encounter.

Spell-like Abilities: 3/day- Darkness. Caster Level 5th.

Trap Sense (Ex): This barbarian has a +1 bonus on all Reflex saves to avoid traps and a +1 bonus to his armor class against attacks made by traps.

Creating a Draugr
    “Draugr” is an acquired template that can be added to any Humanoid or Monstrous Humanoid (henceforth referred to as the base creature).

Size and Type: The creature’s type changes to Undead, and it gains the Augmented subtype. Do not recalculate Base Attack Bonus, saves, or skill points. Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice: Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d12.

Armor Class: A draugr’s natural armor bonus increases by +5.

Attack: Draugar keep all the weapon proficiencies and natural attacks of the base creature, while also gaining a slam attack if it didn’t already have one.

Damage: The damage caused by a draugr’s slam attack is dependent on size, as shown below.

{table=head]Draugr Size | Slam Damage
    Tiny | 1d4
    Small | 1d6
    Medium | 1d8
    Large | 2d6
    Huge | 2d8[/table]

Special Attacks: A draugr retains the special attacks of the base creature and gains the following special attacks (though a draugr only gains one of the two following auras). Unless stated otherwise, the saves for these attacks are equal to 10 + ½ the draugr’s HD + the draugr’s Cha modifier.

Animal Slaying Aura (Su): All creatures with the Animal type that come within 30 ft. of a draugr immediately start taking a number of points of damage per round equal to its Charisma modifier (minimum 1), with no save.

Aura of Delirium (Su): All creatures of the Animal type that remain within one mile of the draugr must make a Fortitude save each day, with the save DC increasing by one for each consecutive day the animal remains within one mile of the draugr. Should they fail the save, they become rabid; they attack any other creature that they see with an intense ferocity, granting them a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls while also giving them a -2 penalty to armor class.

Befouling Gaze (Su): As a standard action, a draugr can taint the mind of a creature within 30 ft. of it with a single glance. Creatures that meet the draugr’s gaze attack must make a Fortitude save, or take 1d4 points of Wisdom damage and 1 point of Wisdom drain. Regardless of whether or not the target succeeds on the Fortitude save, the victim cannot be affected by that draugr’s gaze attack for another 24 hours.

Blood Drain (Ex): A draugr can suck blood from a living victim with its fangs by making a successful grapple check. If it pins the foe, it drains blood, dealing 2 points of Constitution drain each round the pin is maintained. On each such successful attack, the draugr gains 5 temporary hit points.

Spell-like Abilities: A draugr has the following spell-like abilities, depending on its Hit Dice. These abilities are cumulative. Unless otherwise mentioned, these spell-like abilities are usable once per day.

{table=head]HD | Spell-like Abilities
    1-5 | Darkness 3/day
    6-10 | Contagion 3/day, Nightmare
    11-15 | Control Weather
    16+ | Foresight[/table]

Special Qualities: A draugr retains all special qualities of the base creature and gains the following.

Alternate Form (Su): A draugr can assume the shape of a seal or lynx as a standard action. While in this new form, the draugr gains its extraordinary abilities. The draugr retains this shape until it chooses another.

Damage Reduction (Ex): Draugar have Damage Reduction 10/Cold Iron and Magic. A draugr’s natural weapons are counted as magical weapons when it comes to overcoming Damage Reduction.

Earth Glide (Ex): Draugar can glide through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish swims through water. Its burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other signs of its presence. A Move Earth spell cast on an area containing a burrowing draugr flings the undead back 30 feet.

Enlarge (Sp): This ability works like Enlarge Person, except it works only on the draugr (despite not being Humanoid) and cannot be dispelled by a Reduce Person spell. This ability is usable 3/day. The caster level is treated as 15th or equal to the HD of the draugr, whichever is higher.

Fast Healing (Ex): A draugr heals 5 points of damage each round so long as it has at least 1 hit point. If reduced to 0 hit points, the draugr immediately crumbles to dust. One week later, this dust reforms into the draugr with 1 hit point, at which point the fast healing resumes. The only way to permanently kill a draugr is the either to wrestle it back into its grave or to gather the dust and throw it into a body of salt water.

Immunities (Ex): Draugar are immune to both Cold and Fire damage.

Turn Resistance (Ex): A draugr has +4 turn resistance.

Abilities: Draugar has Str +4, Dex +2, Int -2, Wis +6, Cha +4. As an undead creature, a draugr has no Constitution score.

Skills: Draugar have a +8 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, and Survival checks.

Feats: Draugar gain Improved Initiative, Improved Toughness, Iron Will, and Lightning Reflexes as bonus feats.

Environment: Any.

Organization: Solitary.

Challenge Rating: As base creature +2

Alignment: Always Evil (any).

Advancement: By character class.

Level Adjustment: As base creature +6

*Lynx statistics can be found in Races of Faerun. Seal statistics can be found in Frostburn.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2013-06-26 at 11:11 PM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Draugr Template (WIP, PEACH)

I like it a lot.

You should probably clarify that Enlarge works on the Draugr despite them not being humanoid. Silly, I know, but this is D&D.

I think Draugr had some kind of horrible stench. Maybe copy that from the Ghast, which seems pretty Draugr-like anyway?

I'm not sure about the animal-slaying aura. I thought they drove animals mad, not killed them? That could even be a small adventure hook. All animals near the Draugr's grave go rabid, that could tip the PCs off.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm glad you like it. And I'll make the changes to the wording of Enlargement now.

I have the Animal Slaying aura because I (vaguely) recall a story in which birds that flew over the graves of draugar ended up dropping dead mid-flight, but I think it was only that one specific instance.

How about I make it so that the draugr has another power that causes 1 point of wisdom damage to all animals within one mile of it (which cannot be healed while remaining within that mile radius and cannot be reduced farther than 1, at which point they become rabid beasts), and when the template is applied it gains one of those two auras?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

That should be interesting.

Hm. I'm not sure about wisdom damage, that also means they don't see and hear as well. Charisma damage, instead? Maybe a rage effect when it's reduced to 0 or 1?

I'm mentioning this because, like you, I remember one story where various dogs, cats, cows, etc. would go wild when brought near the Draugr's grave and that this was usually the first sign by which they were recognized.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Added Aura of Delirium and a sample draugr. My initial thought was that (since the Derro's madness seems to associate a loss of Wisdom with a descent into madness) the Aura of Delirium should cause Wisdom damage, I agree that Charisma damage works better.

I'll be adding fluff shortly, I guess.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Why not just make the aura of delirium a Will Save vs. going rabid, with a +1 to the DC for every consecutive day the animal is within the aura?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh... Ah, I didn't consider that.

I'll change it now.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

So what's the formula for the save DCs that the draugr template uses?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

They're currently listed as 10 + ½ the Draugr's HD + their Cha modifier.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    They're currently listed as 10 + ½ the Draugr's HD + their Cha modifier.
    Should probably put that in the template.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    Should probably put that in the template.
    It's already there, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    Special Attacks: A draugr retains the special attacks of the base creature and gains the following special attacks (though a draugr only gains one of the two following auras). Unless stated otherwise, the saves for these attacks are equal to 10 + ½ the draugr’s HD + the draugr’s Cha modifier.

Animal Slaying Aura (Su): All creatures with the Animal type that come within 30 ft. of a draugr immediately start taking a number of points of damage per round equal to its Charisma modifier (minimum 1), with no save.

Aura of Delirium (Su): All creatures of the Animal type that remain within one mile of the draugr must make a Fortitude save each day, with the save DC increasing by one for each consecutive day the animal remains within one mile of the draugr. Should they fail the save, they become rabid; they attack any other creature that they see with an intense ferocity, granting them a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls while also giving them a -2 penalty to armor class.

Befouling Gaze (Su): As a standard action, a draugr can taint the mind of a creature within 30 ft. of it with a single glance. Creatures that meet the draugr’s gaze attack must make a Fortitude save, or take 1d4 points of Wisdom damage and 1 point of Wisdom drain. Regardless of whether or not the target succeeds on the Fortitude save, the victim cannot be affected by that draugr’s gaze attack for another 24 hours.

Spell-like Abilities: A draugr has the following spell-like abilities, depending on its Hit Dice. These abilities are cumulative. Unless otherwise mentioned, these spell-like abilities are usable once per day.

{table=head]HD | Spell-like Abilities
    1-5 | Darkness 3/day
    6-10 | Contagion 3/day, Nightmare
    11-15 | Control Weather
    16+ | Foresight[/table]