New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mafia Capital (WWC XIII): Important Info Here -- READ OPENING POSTS!

I am! I'll open recruitment in a second!

- - - Updated - - -

Open for recruitment (and for any last-minute suggestions)
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mafia Capital (WWC XIII): Important Info Here -- READ OPENING POSTS!

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I am! I'll open recruitment in a second!

- - - Updated - - -

Open for recruitment (and for any last-minute suggestions)
    Scheduled and signatured.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a general question I haven't found an answer to (it probably is somewhere, but I'm not even really sure what to search for). Are the sides and roles in these games typically assigned randomly or do the narrator pick who's what? Basically, what I'm wondering is whether it's theoretically useful to try and get into the narrator's head or not.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    I have a general question I haven't found an answer to (it probably is somewhere, but I'm not even really sure what to search for). Are the sides and roles in these games typically assigned randomly or do the narrator pick who's what? Basically, what I'm wondering is whether it's theoretically useful to try and get into the narrator's head or not.
    1) I always do random when the roles are purely narrator-assigned.

2) There is still some value as fostering a reputation as a particularly-good player, because sometimes there will be a role in a game (usually something like "Alpha Wolf" or "Mafia Boss" or something like that) where the narrator only rolls a single scum-team-member randomly, and that person gets some time to pick who their scumbuddies are. Then it becomes WIFOM scenario for alpha picking their scumbuddies and town trying to figure out who would've been picked.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    I'm of the mind to "respect the rand" rather than "what would host pick for this player?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 8)

Ahoy there! :)

I’m very excited to invite your community to participate in Season 8 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual forum-based tournament series that pits representatives from various online Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and be their “Champion”.

The tournament first started back in 2013. Since then, 320+ different communities and 50+ different nationalities have been represented.

It’s a super fun event that has created many new friendships and close bonds between communities. I hope that you would be interested in taking part :)

1. DO YOU ACCEPT THE INVITATION?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to Lissa as soon as you can to ensure yourselves a spot. Currently, the plan is to accommodate 150 communities this season. If there is further interest, additional communities may sign up as substitutes; generally there are some replacements needed both before and during games.

If your community agrees to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is May 7th, but the sooner the better.

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes
    • You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
    • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
    • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500-600 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.

2. SEASON 8 FORMAT

The tournament structure
    • 150 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
    • QUALIFIERS: 10 Qualifier Games will be played, consisting of 15 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifier Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st and 2nd place will advance to the Semifinal Games.
    • SEMIFINALS: A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 7 will select 25 additional players to advance to the three Semifinal Games. From each game, five players will advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote, just like in the qualifying phase.
    • THE FINALE: The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall receive the title of Season 8 Champion and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.

This year’s setup: Gold Rush 15er
    The setup features 15 roles consisting of the following:

2x Mafia Goons
    1x Mafia Roleblocker

1x Town Motion Detector
    1x 1-Shot Town Vigilante (n2+)
    1x Town Doctor
    9x Vanilla Townie

Flips are alignment only.

Relevant mechanics info
    - Day start.
    - Majority elimination is enabled Day 2+, but majority is not required at any point for the elimination.
    - Tied votes will result in a player being eliminated at random from among the tied players.
    - No outside communication. I.e. you may not contact the other players outside of the thread (unless you are Mafia and wish to speak with your teammates).
    - Phase Lengths and Deadlines will be up to the players themselves (I’ll organize your representative into a game with deadlines that suit their preferences).
    - Thread is locked during Night Phases.
    - Votes are automatically locked in at LYLO.
    - Mafia factional kills are assigned. They can be tracked, watched, roleblocked, etc. (In this setup, that means they display as an action to the Motion Detector action.)
    - Mafia share a factional Night Kill, which is a single standard shot for their faction. The mafia faction kill is mandatory.
    - Mafia may communicate at any time.
    - Each individual player may make a maximum of 150 posts per day phase (this restriction is lifted 2 hours before day end).
    - The game will have a host to oversee everything and make sure everyone’s following the code of conduct, but otherwise the game is completely automated (automatic votecounts, thread locks and reveals alignments automatically, the bot receives and processes actions, etc.).

3. SEASON 8 TIMELINE

There will be 10 Qualifier Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates ranging from early May to early July. So in other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.

The Semifinal Games will be played in July/August, and the Finale Game sometime in August/September (whenever we can work out something that suits everyone).

If you want to get in contact with the event organizer ASAP, you can find Lissa on Discord (Lissa#8083).

For yours truly, it's Spacecamp-Logic-Yako#4514

Kind regards,
    The Mafia Universe Staff

I play over on MU a fair bit -- its plenty of fun and there are lots of folks here I think would do quite well!

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

I think somebody besides me should go, for multiple reasons, but if nobody else wants to then I guess I will. Hopefully somebody else speaks up though.

My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #308
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    I think somebody besides me should go, for multiple reasons, but if nobody else wants to then I guess I will. Hopefully somebody else speaks up though.
    I've actually been meaning to ask. Why did people pin me on the same tier as you for how capable I am?

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by totadileplayz View Post
    I've actually been meaning to ask. Why did people pin me on the same tier as you for how capable I am?
    Check the activity level for the last game. It's basically you and me, and then everybody else. Nobody else has anything even close to as many posts as we did

My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #310

Planetar

Check the activity level for the last game. It's basically you and me, and then everybody else. Nobody else has anything even close to as many posts as we did
    Ah got it they were talking about activity level not competence.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Ah got it they were talking about activity level not competence.
    To an extent, activity level is not unrelated with skill level. Not all good players are active players, and not all active players are good players. But to become a good player, you need to play a lot, and a high-activity playstyle lends itself to more practice. It's easy to avoid getting caught in a lie by just...never saying anything, but if you wanna get practice at telling lies without getting caught, the only way to do that is to tell an awful lot of lies. A less active playstyle can gain that kind of experience, but it takes longer. And, IMO, makes for less interesting games. That game was a good demonstration of what it's like having more than one active player present, because now instead of bouncing off low-activity players, they're bouncing off each other too, and that caused us both to just shoot off forever. A game full of players like that gets hectic, which isn't a great fit for the feel games tend to have on this forum, so I suppose it's sorta a good thing that not everybody here plays that way.

My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #312
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

To an extent, activity level is not unrelated with skill level. Not all good players are active players, and not all active players are good players. But to become a good player, you need to play a lot, and a high-activity playstyle lends itself to more practice. It's easy to avoid getting caught in a lie by just...never saying anything, but if you wanna get practice at telling lies without getting caught, the only way to do that is to tell an awful lot of lies. A less active playstyle can gain that kind of experience, but it takes longer. And, IMO, makes for less interesting games. That game was a good demonstration of what it's like having more than one active player present, because now instead of bouncing off low-activity players, they're bouncing off each other too, and that caused us both to just shoot off forever. A game full of players like that gets hectic, which isn't a great fit for the feel games tend to have on this forum, so I suppose it's sorta a good thing that not everybody here plays that way.
    Yeah I can speak to this as someone who fairly regularly plays 60 player games with 12 hour days with an average of over a hundred posts per player a day. Its a lot of fun. Its also very very different then the kind of mafia we play here most of the time. Mech tends to be a greater determining factor here, wagons move a lot slower etc.

Posting a lot is a lot easier when you have other players who post a lot in the game as well. The above is obviously an extreme example, but when there are 10+ people posting often everyone can have conversations and such so its easier to be really engaged.
    Last edited by Apogee1; 2021-04-21 at 07:57 PM.

13. - Top - End - #313

Planetar

Yeah I can agree with that from my prior experiences calling any of the games here active is laughable, and really these types of games require you to focus more on the base actions which everyone needs to do, and account for the inactive nature of people.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

2) There is still some value as fostering a reputation as a particularly-good player, because sometimes there will be a role in a game (usually something like "Alpha Wolf" or "Mafia Boss" or something like that) where the narrator only rolls a single scum-team-member randomly, and that person gets some time to pick who their scumbuddies are. Then it becomes WIFOM scenario for alpha picking their scumbuddies and town trying to figure out who would've been picked.
    Hmm. Good idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh! A note. I will be getting the second half of my vaccine on May 4th.

So recruitment might not end on May 5th while I am sick.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I'd be good with Apogee representing the forums.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh! A note. I will be getting the second half of my vaccine on May 4th.

So recruitment might not end on May 5th while I am sick.
    Good luck! I just got mine about 2 weeks ago. The day after I felt drained, but not too bad and the second day after I was back at 100%. I got mine on Thursday and built a giant playset that weekend for my 2-year-old, so it didn't keep me down long. I also have co-morbidities that put me at a higher likelyhood of it knocking me out, so the fact that it didn't surprised me.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I'd be good with Apogee representing the forums.
    Speaking as someone that has played with apogee over on MU, I also approve.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Apogee, I choose you!
    Show

19. - Top - End - #319
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Thanks all happy to represent GITP if we're good with that.

Though if others are interested y'all should speak up!

20. - Top - End - #320
    Troll in the Playground

i'd also back apogee from my experience playing with them

granted my vote probably doesn't count a ton since i don't think i've even played here in the last year, but they're a strong player
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

21. - Top - End - #321
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I will tentatively take the endorsements and lack of opposition as a sign I'll most likely be repping :p

Thanks all! I'll do my best to represent us well.

If anyone wants to sub they should probably say so

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

Good luck and have fun!
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

murska, would you be willing to be our backup?
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

I don't expect I'll have the time, sorry.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Had a game idea. Not a fun one to play in, and probably too easy a win for a wolf team, but a game where everyone is a Beast.
    If an extra "bastard" version, most people are lied to about their power and it looks like they are voided or somehow get "No info" if they should have feedback, but they flip Beast when they die.

Perhaps funnier if the wolves don't have a factional kill (and maybe instead of Beasts are traditional Town powers or vanillas), while the Townies are all beast.

EDIT: I am now somewhat terrified AV's next game will be like this, or close enough to it that we think it might be like this. Double troll! (Though, seriously, I think the Scullywags pirate game was a bit too bastardy for my taste, so a game that extreme would likely just be no fun. Well, besides the initial confusion and shock when things go sideways.)
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2021-05-06 at 12:54 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326

Planetar

I have a game I want to run.

One large role list wolves get two roles from the list type deal.

Ben 10: The Virus of The Omnitrix.
    People would play as individual transformations, the virus has currently disabled many transformations and corrupted others to serve its purposes.
    Last edited by totadileplayz; 2021-05-10 at 10:32 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

I have a game I want to run.

One large role list wolves get two roles from the list type deal.

Ben 10: The Virus of The Omnitrix.
    People would play as individual transformations, the virus has currently disabled many transformations and corrupted others to serve its purposes.
    Adding to the schedule...

My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Starting a new job next week, so going to be skipping a couple games at least as I acclimate. But I hope I shan't be gone too long.

29. - Top - End - #329

Planetar

It is nigh impossible to strategize when you can barely think.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

"Yu-Gi-Oh!" has ended in town victory, and been archived.

gac3, will you be ready to begin running your unspecified-theme game within the next couple days?

My Homebrew