New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Base Class Contest I-5E

Welcome, 'brewers, one and all to the very first 5E Base Class contest!

The rules are simple-you must create a base class from level 1-20 and include at least two subclasses. After approximately 20 days, voting will start on December 1st. The winner will receive just about the only thing I can offer-a brand new subclass designed by me personally, and the adoration of the internet. (Adoration of the internet not guaranteed.)

So start 'brewing and have fun!

Shaman |

Spellsword

Summoner |

Arcane Blade

Vampire |

Strategist ||||

Professional |||

Runecaster

Emissary

Devoted Operator |

Hexblade
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2015-12-08 at 10:55 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Base Class Contest I-5E

Is there a theme, or just anything we want to do?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

3. - Top - End - #3

For the first one? Go hog wild, do anything!

Show
    Show

Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Are these classes coming off more like archetypes, or psychic stuff?

Its really tough to come up with something original, that doesn't come off a multiclass

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I'm in, I'll make something once I get some inspiration for a class.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Just say no to webcomics!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

I will just call dibs on shaman right here.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

So we just post it here?

What is expected? Is it just mechanics or do you want fluff and descriptions added as well?

Are we allowed to remake classes and prestige classes from previous editions that haven't been done yet?

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    So we just post it here?

Yes

What is expected? Is it just mechanics or do you want fluff and descriptions added as well?

Mechanics are the bare minimum. Fluff will help in the voting, but isn't needed.

Are we allowed to remake classes and prestige classes from previous editions that haven't been done yet?

Yes, you are.

Show
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hmm. I am thinking Pale Master, Fire Knight of Kossuth, Arcane Botanist or maybe an Eldritch Hunter.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Does the class we submit have to have been made specifically for this contest, or can it be something we've made previously?

Is each person limited to only a single entry, or can we submit multiple different classes?

Whatever the answers to these questions, I'm in. I've been thinking about making a spellcaster class that spontaneously creates new spells and this is just the push I need to get it done.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by DersitePhantom View Post
    Does the class we submit have to have been made specifically for this contest, or can it be something we've made previously?

New Content only please

Is each person limited to only a single entry, or can we submit multiple different classes?

I suppose you can have multiple entries.

Whatever the answers to these questions, I'm in. I've been thinking about making a spellcaster class that spontaneously creates new spells and this is just the push I need to get it done.
    Thanks! Glad I could lend a hand.

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

JNA, one of my first homebrews was the Dragon Knight . . . It was never properly balanced, so could I use that? If I were to work out the kinks and rework it?

13. - Top - End - #13

Was it ever finished?

If not, that's fine.

If it was, then I'll have to say no. New content.

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Was it ever finished?

If not, that's fine.

If it was, then I'll have to say no. New content.
    I had levels 1-20 planned out, but it was way too OP, and never properly balanced. I would be bringing new content into it, as basically what I did was poach class features I liked :P

15. - Top - End - #15

Alright. I'll allow it.

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #16

ClericGuy

Ok, should I do an unarmed feature (Like Monks, and Barbarians) for the whole shaman class. Or just the Dragon Shaman Archetype.

I am doing a Spirit Shaman, Dragon Shaman, and a Storm Shaman. One for each of the two Shaman types from 3.5, + one based on the Stormlord Prestige class that worked will with Spirit Shamans.

The Dragon Shaman had scales that might explain such a feature but I could argue it is a sort of Spiritual protection granted by the Shamans Totem.

Also odds are Charisma will be the Shamans Spell Ability, either that or wisdom. Would it be acceptable to make use of this spell casting ability as the classes AC Ability for its unarmed trait, or should I use a a different attribute?
    Last edited by Turtlemancer; 2015-11-11 at 09:27 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I have a Hexblade class that's heavily based on the Paladin chassis that I just posted to Reddit today. (Haven't looked at anyone else's Hexblade attempts, but I'm sure it's been done.)
    A) Would that count as new enough (and / or does it matter if it's posted elsewhere)?
    B) I assume we need to only post when we have it in a completely finished state? Can we "call" things and polish them up for submission, or how does that work?

18. - Top - End - #18

ClericGuy

This is a link to my Shamans Thread if I must re-post I will re-post.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...or-5th-Edition
    Last edited by Turtlemancer; 2015-11-12 at 01:34 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

NecromancerGirl

I submitted a class to Tribality just before Halloween. I can post a link here if that still qualifies for the contest.

http://tribality.com/2015/10/30/dd-5...m-backgrounds/
    Last edited by Zeuel; 2015-11-12 at 04:39 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Please post the class here on Giant in the Playground.

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

I'm happy to participate. I've been meaning to try my hand at homebrewing for some time now...

Now that my graduate school applications are done, I'll actually have some time!

Will you be combining all of the entries into one post (perhaps the first one?) for us to vote upon? I hope that I don't have to scroll through everything to find everyone's entries...
    My first homebrew: 5e Strategist

22. - Top - End - #22

ClericGuy

I updated my thread some. If you could get to my questions it would be much appreciated. Otherwise ill make some of my own judgment calls.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'll toss in a Spellsword Gish-in-a-Can class if I have the time.

24. - Top - End - #24

ClericGuy

Ok I am playing with a new feature rather than having auras on the Dragon Shaman. I might add a whole new feature to the Shaman. My only issue is it seems a bit Gamy and I need feedback.
    Hows everyone think this mechanic would work for a shaman.

Totems
    When a Shaman begins there career they carve a special Totem out of magical wood. This Totem will take the form of there Spirit Guide, and stand around 3ft tall. A as of yet undetermined number of times in-between Long Rests the Shaman may Plant the totem in the ground and it will emit an aura, this aura will have a number of different possible effects for a yet to be determined number of turns.. The Shaman my only produce one of the Aura's he knows at any given time in this way.

Totemic Auras
    Each Shaman will-be able to have a total of 4-5 different auras they can produce in this way. There will be 4 core auras attached to the base class, and at least 1 to the Archetypes. I have yet to decide weather or not at max level the shaman will be able to use all 4 core Auras, but it is likely they will only have access to 3 of the four by level 20. Currently I plan to make each of teh Core Auras based n the four seasons. And am Playing with the Spirit Totem Aura.

Mechanics
    The Auras will be produced by a stationary totem. So they will be initially 30ft they will not likely increase in range beyond that. I am playing with the idea that the Shaman my carry a totem, but not be able to Attack while doing so.

Totems and Spirit Guide Totems may indeed require concentration, and spirit guide may just counter that. I have yet to decide.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zman View Post
    I'll toss in a Spellsword Gish-in-a-Can class if I have the time.
    Dang it, now I'm gonna feel like a copy-cat! Back to the drawing board...

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll enter this with a Summoner class. Details to come over the weekend.

EDIT: Or sooner than that.

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Please post the class here on Giant in the Playground.
    I can't stand the forums table tools at all. Can I link through to a PDF?
    Last edited by Mr.Moron; 2015-11-13 at 03:20 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Would it be a good idea to make a compendium PDF with all the (consenting) entries?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Dang it, now I'm gonna feel like a copy-cat! Back to the drawing board...
    Go for it, we'll have a battle of the Gishes!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

The Pack Master
    I love the picture of that guy in the old Deities and Demigods in Celtic Myths section, he had antlers.

So it got me thinking to create a character that preferred not to attack, and instead used others, normally unwillingly to perform their duties. So help me out with this one.

You receive the wizard starting package for skills, weapon, and armor proficiency. Wisdom and intelligence are your proficiency saves.

You are a caster but you get an additional attack at 5, and maybe 11. But these attacks are for you or your cohorts. You must maintain a special concentration on your cohorts and if you cast a concentration spell, you now have disadvantage on constitution checks.

If you decide to attack, you must break the concentration on your cohorts. This comes with a penalty, the cohort will cease its actions and attack you, a party member, or stand still. But you are still tied to these cohorts and any damage they receive, you receive in psychic damage as well. Constitution saves versus your spell DC for half damage. You also lose this special concentration if you fail your constitution save when you take damage.

You start off with a cohort that is equal to let’s say 1/4th CR your character level, and as you increase in level so does the cohort(s). So at second you have 1/2 CR your character level and at 4th you could have a cohort 1 CR. At 20th level you would have a cohort would have 5CR. You can break this up in any manner you wish. At first level you could have 2 1/8th CR cohorts. At 20th level you could break up these cohorts into 1 4th CR AND 4 1/4TH CR cohorts.

You get access to spells, I was leaning towards not attack spells only, just buff spells. When you cast say shield on yourself, you cast it on cohorts 30 ft. If healing is cast upon you, your cohorts are also healed the same amount. I think spell choices will depend on your alignment as well as your casting stat.

When attacking you choose to have your cohorts attack, or help along the same lines of the beastmaster. You can have attack, cohorts 1/4th of your class level. So at first level, if both of your cohorts are 1/8th they can both attack or help, or one attack and one help. So at 7th level when you get 2 attacks, they can also use your bonus action to help.

If you lose concentration you may try to re-establish this by beating your constitution versus your DC save with disadvantage. If your cohorts die you must replenish them, it takes 24 hours to do so.

Needless to say, war caster is a necessary feat to get.

Now what you can get for cohorts will be up to your alignment and spell group selection. Like an evil cleric/ necromancer type caster could get humanoid undead, while an evil druid would get undead animal.

WIP, what do you think? This comes off more like a prestige class, but we could have an archetype for caster/alignment

30. - Top - End - #30

ClericGuy

I have made a few minor fixes. In addition after having seen just how tanky the Cleric can be I am making the shaman a full caster with d8 Hit die. I am thinking I will want to shoot for slightly less powerful than the cleric however... As this class has decant offence and some cleric domains make the class almost unkillable.

I am also playing with a new core class feature If you wouldn't mind giving me your feedback on the Idea.

They are Totems that give Powerful Short lasting Auras basically. As I keep overshooting the power on each of my auras I make I figure it might be a good Idea. The Shaman will likely be able to create Place a totem a number of times equal to their wisdom bonus, or proficiency bonus, or Half their Proficiency bonus. Similarly I am looking into making the totems effect last either as long as Their wisdom bonus + there Charisma bonus (Unable to exceed twice there Proficiency score) (this would make for a maximum of 4 rounds at level 1, and a maximum of 12 rounds at 20 or, Just as long as their Proficiency bonus, half the possible rounds. I am also considering making the power of the Shaman's totems scale with Charisma bonus, But they may scale with Proficiency as-well. That is if their bonuses aren't streamlined. Furthermore 1 totem at a time.