New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Default Third party 3rd ed content without a pathfinder equivalent?

One of the things I liked most about Pathfinder was the active community of publishers churning out inventive stuff for it, new classes that come from new concepts and new systems to play with.

It has occurred to me that after I switched to pathfinder I've undoubtedly missed out on new systems and classes made for 3x, and that with pathfinder ultimately being a 3x system that's a shame.

So I figured I'd ask- What's the cool stuff I've been missing out on?

2. - Top - End - #2

MindFlayer

Default Re: Third party 3rd ed content without a pathfinder equivalent?

Well, nothing comes close to the utility, balance, and intrigue held within the pages of the Book of Erotic Fantasy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nothing? Pathfinder started AFTER 3.5 stopped active development. Everyone jumped ship pretty quickly. There were no major releases in that time, and all the major things have PF versions now.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by StevenC21 View Post
    Well, nothing comes close to the utility, balance, and intrigue held within the pages of the Book of Erotic Fantasy.
    You beat me to it. Possibly the only book to have a PRC more powerful for a wizard than Incantatrix in Metaphysical Spellshaper. Bind Naberius and you're good to go.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The entirety of Dragonmech.
    :(
    Pathfinder Player/GM
    3rd Party Fan

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Afaik Shadowcasting has yet to be ported to pathfinder, if I am wrong please correct me though. Enjoyed what PF did with Initiating and Incarnum, but there's no Shadowcasting classes. Pretty sure no 3rd party content exists for shadowcasting/truenaming in 3.5 let alone PF.

7. - Top - End - #7

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by XenolithicBard View Post
    Afaik Shadowcasting has yet to be ported to pathfinder, if I am wrong please correct me though. Enjoyed what PF did with Initiating and Incarnum, but there's no Shadowcasting classes. Pretty sure no 3rd party content exists for shadowcasting/truenaming in 3.5 let alone PF.
    Interjection games produced Strange Magic which included this truenaming system for pathfinder.

Lee's Lists have their own book about truenaming magic in pathfinder, but having never bought it I have no clue how similar it would be to Tome of Magic's execution.

There are no pathfinder ports of the Shadowcaster that I am aware of, but it does have some spiritual successors in Antipodism- a nonvancian magic system of light, darkness, and shadow by Interjection Games, and the Shadow Weaver by Lost Spheres.

But those would only be good enough for those who love the concept of shadow magic as opposed to the execution of shadow magic specifically from Tome of Magic.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by StSword View Post
    Interjection games produced Strange Magic which included this truenaming system for pathfinder.

Lee's Lists have their own book about truenaming magic in pathfinder, but having never bought it I have no clue how similar it would be to Tome of Magic's execution.

There are no pathfinder ports of the Shadowcaster that I am aware of, but it does have some spiritual successors in Antipodism- a nonvancian magic system of light, darkness, and shadow by Interjection Games, and the Shadow Weaver by Lost Spheres.

But those would only be good enough for those who love the concept of shadow magic as opposed to the execution of shadow magic specifically from Tome of Magic.
    There are actually 2 PrCs that i have come across from 3.0 that are fascinating and to my knowledge nothing like them exist in pathfinder
    Alchemist Savant:
    Gains the ability to craft several potions a day (up to 3 potions a day) and can craft alchemical items faster as well as create universal potions that can be imbued with magic as a move action instead of whatever casting time 3rd level and lower spells take.
    Master Alchemist:
    gains the ability to craft up to 4 potions a day and gains the ability to brew up to 9th level spells into potions. (also a good money maker if your into that)

i have yet to find anything matching these abilities in pathfinder and i wish that they would give the alchemist an archetype that incorperated these abilities.
    Check me out on TikTok @OGDojo also check out my Youtube @ObscureGamingDojo
    All Martial Arts Begin with Imitation.
    Factotums are the weakest yet most powerful class, if built properly

9. - Top - End - #9

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by OGDojo View Post
    There are actually 2 PrCs that i have come across from 3.0 that are fascinating and to my knowledge nothing like them exist in pathfinder
    Alchemist Savant:
    Gains the ability to craft several potions a day (up to 3 potions a day) and can craft alchemical items faster as well as create universal potions that can be imbued with magic as a move action instead of whatever casting time 3rd level and lower spells take.
    Master Alchemist:
    gains the ability to craft up to 4 potions a day and gains the ability to brew up to 9th level spells into potions. (also a good money maker if your into that)

i have yet to find anything matching these abilities in pathfinder and i wish that they would give the alchemist an archetype that incorperated these abilities.
    That would have been good stuff to mention in the Legendary Alchemist playtest that was on this forum a while ago. Oh well.

But yeah, those are niches that Pathfinder hasn't covered that I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGSE View Post
    The entirety of Dragonmech.
    :(
    Yes, I really liked Dragonmech. Particularly the Steamborgs.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by StevenC21 View Post
    Psh. Everyone knows that The Book of Unlawful Carnal Knowledge is the premiere ero rulebook.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

11. - Top - End - #11

Beholder

Psh. Everyone knows that The Book of Unlawful Carnal Knowledge is the premiere ero rulebook.
    Misfit Studios came out with the Book of Passion for Pathfinder, but I couldn't tell you how it compares to the earlier works for 3rd edition.

It's still in the "wishlist for when I actually have cash" phase of my shopping.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

That would have been good stuff to mention in the Legendary Alchemist playtest that was on this forum a while ago. Oh well.

But yeah, those are niches that Pathfinder hasn't covered that I'm aware of.
    Druidic Herbalism lets you make wismod number of free potions per day of any spell you're capable of casting in 1 minute.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Misfit Studios came out with the Book of Passion for Pathfinder, but I couldn't tell you how it compares to the earlier works for 3rd edition.

It's still in the "wishlist for when I actually have cash" phase of my shopping.
    Huh. I guess I'll have to look into that when I, too, have the funds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.