New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default What things are violet?

With digital displays using RPG light, and most print inks only use four colors as well, it's basically impossible to get a picture that emits or reflects violet wavelengths to your eyes. There are probably rare and fancy speciality light sources that produce violet wavelengths, but they would probably be really expensive.

So the only practical way that I see (haha...) for seeing what the color violet actually looks like, is to look at violet objects under natural light.

What things are there in nature that reflect a strong violet color (380–450 nm)?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: What things are violet?

Just about any ultra-violet light source should give you a certian amount of violet light - the ones that come with marker kits should work. Two quick examples:

Obviously, the more powerful ones (like the ones that end up in sun beds) probably aren't good for the eyes, though.

Also, anything that produces a spectrum (like a spray of water reflecting back sunlight if rainbows are in short supply locally) will give you violet at the end of the spectrum.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2019-09-01 at 02:54 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

It's entirely possible for an RGB monitor to produce a colour that will look violet to your eyes--it just has to provide the right amounts of red, green and blue to stimulate your colour receptors in the same way violet light would. Where you get problems is when you have a multichromatic light source pretending to be white (e.g. LED light bulbs) reflecting off a violet object, because in that case the colour probably won't look right.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    What things are there in nature that reflect a strong violet color (380–450 nm)?
    Errrr... flowers? Like various species of... violet, say the Viola Tricolor e.g..

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Errrr... flowers? Like various species of... violet, say the Viola Tricolor e.g..
    ... I thought "violets are blue"?? Have I been lied to all this time?!

Anyway, if you can't find any viola flowering at this time of year (which you probably won't in the northern hemisphere), wikipedia also notes lavender flowers and amethyst crystals as being violet in colour.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2019-09-09 at 02:21 AM.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The most famous source of violet-purple dye in Antiquity was tyrian purple, made from the murex sea snail.

Lichen (orcein by the ancient Greeks and Hebrews in the Mediterranean) and other seas critters were also used throughout the world (urchins by Polynesians, purpura snails in Central American cultures) for violet dyes; most paints were made by mixing red and blue colours of varying sources.

After about the 19th Century, synthetic violet dyes and pigments were invented, which don't really meet your criteria of 'things in nature'.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You have been lied to. Pretty much everything that is called violet is actually purple. The spectral color violet is the most extreme blue that the human eye can perceive, and has no red component at all.

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Violets can be in any color. Many are white, yellow, or red, and there are lots of shades of blue. What I am looking for is something that reflects sunlight predominantly in the 380–450 nm range.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    It's entirely possible for an RGB monitor to produce a colour that will look violet to your eyes--it just has to provide the right amounts of red, green and blue to stimulate your colour receptors in the same way violet light would.
    Spoiler: Wavelength of light receptors
    Show

Spoiler: Wavelengths of LED monitors
    Show

As you can see, the extreme end of blue has basically no red or green component. And if you tell a digital screen to use only it's blue LEDs, it will only emit 450-500 nm light, that still activates the red and green receptors. So the brain will process it as a medium blue, not as an extreme violet.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

PPG makes some shades of violet paint under the Glidden brand. You might be able to find sample chips of one or more of those shades at Home Depot or a similar store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

If you suspect your color vision is atypical, you can get spectral violet either by refracting light with a high-dispersion prism, or by using a diffraction grating.

For most other purposes, you can get light that looks like spectral violet, just less saturated, by appropriately blending blue and red light. The "wavelengths of light receptors" chart is a bit misleading, since what matters is the ratio between the responses among the three kinds of cones at any given wavelength, and the chart just normalizes the responses to make the peaks equal.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

royal gamma
    royal gamma
    #GoreMutualarejerks

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    If you suspect your color vision is atypical, you can get spectral violet either by refracting light with a high-dispersion prism, or by using a diffraction grating.
    This is indeed the easiest and cheapest way to create pure violet light. Then just flash it on a white screen and you have it. What is even better, diffraction grates are very easy to come by or make on your own. Even a simple CD will work as a reflective diffraction grate. Once you have that the only issue is to have a narrow light beam so the colors will not mix at the screen, but that can be fixed with a long tube with a reasonably small hole (too small and the diffraction will spread teh light and the ammount of light will be too small anyway) at the end.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    Yes.
    They come in all kinds of colours depending on which species or whatever (wikipedia showed me white, yellow, red, blue and...violet ones). There's even variety within different kinds too.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

A small selection of violets.

When I did my final exams for my gardener apprenticeship this year, I did a report on the cultivation of violets. Seed producers have big catalogues just for violets. The company where I was training bought 93 different variants from the suppliers.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    For most other purposes, you can get light that looks like spectral violet, just less saturated, by appropriately blending blue and red light.
    Do you know the RGB value that is supposed to look like spectral violet?

14. - Top - End - #14

BlackDragon

Wikipedia says you just use twice as much blue as red:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violet_(color)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I've found a source that describes human eyes sensing colors actually like this:

If that's correct, then blue light does activate the red sensing cells, and the human visual system does indeed make spectral colors look purple-ish. It's a hardware bug.
    Last edited by Yora; 2019-09-03 at 07:41 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

BlackDragon

Well, the human eye is also capable of seeing colours that theoretically don't exist (at least as single-wavelength entries on the electromagnetic spectrum). Magenta, for instance, a mix of pure red and blue on the RGB chart, doesn't actually appear anywhere in the spectrum, but you can see it just fine.

17. - Top - End - #17

MindFlayer

Wikipedia says you just use twice as much blue as red:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violet_(color)
    Wikipedia goes into a little more detail on approximating spectral violet here.
    Generally, any attempt to render a spectral color with an RGB display will not be as saturated as the spectral color.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

The thing about spectral colours is that they have one peak in the spectrum.

The non-spectral colours have two peaks (or more), both in the visible spectrum, but the average is not in either of the peaks, so that average as a spectral colour with one peak does not look like the whole spectrum image of the non-spectral colour. Magenta is the prime example, but all of the magenta-like colours are like that, I think most purples are like that.

(somewhat ninja'd by factotum).

There are almost certainly colours with more than two peaks in the spectrum, probably most colours are like that. Sodium has two orange peaks and maybe another weak one? but the d lines are so strong and so close together that the colour emitted by sodium lamps appears to be purely orange.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-09-03 at 02:03 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well, the human eye is also capable of seeing colours that theoretically don't exist (at least as single-wavelength entries on the electromagnetic spectrum). Magenta, for instance, a mix of pure red and blue on the RGB chart, doesn't actually appear anywhere in the spectrum, but you can see it just fine.
    Relevant to the discussion of how our eyes work: Why blue light and yellow light don't make a different color:
    Spoiler: YouTube video
    Show
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

As you can see, the extreme end of blue has basically no red or green component. And if you tell a digital screen to use only it's blue LEDs, it will only emit 450-500 nm light, that still activates the red and green receptors. So the brain will process it as a medium blue, not as an extreme violet.
    There are some high end OLED TV sets that have a 4th pixel that produces actual violet light. It is generally used to produce super deep blacks though, rather than produce violet light alone.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Perhaps just by a single wavelength LED that emits the frequency you want? Like these 450nm ones?
    https://www.mouser.com/Optoelectroni...z0yt3kZ1yzs64u

The data sheet for the first one puts the spectrum 440 and 460nm. So that's a pretty tight spectrum and you can buy them at any 5nm increment from 275 - 750nm.

22. - Top - End - #22

I assumed O2 plasma emmitted violet light, but looking at the spectra I guess it is also actually purple?

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I got another color question.

What is brown?

If you mix all colors together, shouldn't it be some kind of gray? Where does brown sit on a color wheel?

24. - Top - End - #24

BlackDragon

You only get brown by mixing all colours together when you're talking about pigments. (Mixing all colours together in visible light produces white). If the CMY pigments you had were absolutely perfect then mixing them together would produce black, since the pigments would absorb all incident light--however, those pigments are *not* perfect, which is why you get a sort of muddy brown colour instead and why they have to add the black ink to provide better blacks in the image. (Many years ago I had a very cheap inkjet printer that did *not* have a separate black ink, and as you might expect, the results of printing anything to it were not great).

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

I got another color question.

What is brown?

If you mix all colors together, shouldn't it be some kind of gray? Where does brown sit on a color wheel?
    It would be gray or black only if the proportions are exactly even. You get brown from dark orange broken with a bit of blue.

edit: in terms of light mixing - not pigments.
    Last edited by Radar; 2019-10-07 at 08:00 AM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    It would be gray or black only if the proportions are exactly even. You get brown from dark orange broken with a bit of blue.

edit: in terms of light mixing - not pigments.
    Also pigments.

Back when I built plastic model cars when I was around 12-13, the Testors brown paint (in the small bottles) was a watery runny mess that never covered even with multiple coats. So I had a book that talked some color theory, and showed that brown was basically "grayed orange" made by adding its complimentary color to it.

So I took some Testors orange and started adding blue until I ended up with a very satisfying brown that actually painted on very well and only required a single coat.

Mixing all the paints together usually is unbalanced in some way away from neutral gray, so it will depend and not always end up "brown".

For RGB brown, you could color pick a lot of the elements from the GITP page to see what ratios come up.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

It's important to distinguish a scale your talking about when discussing color theory.

Visiable light, like the color wheel (Red-Blue-Yellow), browns are a de-saturated red orange. basically, the Hue is still present but the blue counters the bulk of the Red and Yellow into what we identify as brown. If you paint minis, you may have trouble getting a good shade color for Oranges, especially bright oranges, because the idea of mixing in some black or a deep deep blue into the orange will make a muddy color that diminished the bright vibrant hue of the orange you are trying to shade. Instead, use a dark Red for the base or shade mix and a brighter yellow orange for the highlights and it will produce an illusion of shade by mimicking the way we see color - The recessed areas are tinted with blue and diminished yellow (on this scale), while the raised areas are reflecting more pure tones of yellow and the blue is removed.

But, as mentioned before in this thread, Pigments (like paints and dyes) behave a little differently then visible light. If you have ever had to spend hours mixing half a gallon of paint due to adding just a touch of blue pigment but you can't seem to water it down, it's because the Blue pigment is very very fine compared to other pigments and causes it to raise to the surface (Like having a penny jar of coins and the dimes and pennies always seem to raise to the top) and fill in the gaps between the other pigments more prominently. That's just something you have to practice mixing with paint brands that you know to get the hue, saturation and lightness you are looking for. Each company has their own unique blends of pigments and grinding processes that can create vastly different results...

Unfortunately... *Grumble grickle*

Monitors and screens, including film editing software and websites like DeviantArt and YouTube and so forth are expecting to be displayed on a LED screen with three different colors. This is known as the RBG scale (Red-Blue-Green). Each pixel on the screen is depicted with a running bond (think like a brick wall) of the three aforementioned colors in mid lightness and maxed saturation. If all three are displayed at max (255), you get white, if all are at zero, you get black. By mixing and toning the values of the three settings you can get any number of colors in between. When you have an entry level understanding of color theory through visible light, it may seem odd that you wouldn't mix Red, Blue and Yellow, but Yellow is a tricky color to saturate correctly. What we usually think of as Yellow is actually usually very light in value (or lightness) and deepening the value makes a muddy color that seems brown. Yellow in and of itself exists in a very narrow part of the band of visible light and isn't very good for mixing on this screen.

So, they were made to mimic how our eyes work instead. Inside your eyes are two kinds of cells that pick up light, called Rods and Cones, and the spectrum the light is emitting at. Rods pick up blue light (I believe, I've mixed the two up before), and Cones pick up Red Light specifically, but if they know they are picking up light they aren't reacting too, they signal the opposite on the color wheel - Green.

So, if you want to make something Yellow on the RBG scale, you mix 1 parts Red and 2 part Green - The Red counters the blue and yellow of the green and the remaining Yellow shines through (The math there is probably wrong, but I know that's the process). Adding blue to the mix will make it Greener and increase the Lightness while lowering the values will make it darker.

Then there is printing, like on a printer, which uses the CMYK scale and... that's functionally Witchcraft to me. I can't even begin to pretend I understand it, you'll just have to look it up and see if you can gleam something from it.

*Success Pose* Finally, 4 years of Art School pays off, Academically! W00t!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    English: so broken, you technically cannot use it wrong.
    Grey Wolf

28. - Top - End - #28

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Son of A Lich! View Post
    So, they were made to mimic how our eyes work instead. Inside your eyes are two kinds of cells that pick up light, called Rods and Cones, and the spectrum the light is emitting at. Rods pick up blue light (I believe, I've mixed the two up before), and Cones pick up Red Light specifically, but if they know they are picking up light they aren't reacting too, they signal the opposite on the color wheel - Green.
    That isn't quite right. Rods pick up any sort of visible light and are extremely sensitive to it--in low light conditions they're the only photoreceptor cells in the eye that respond, which is why you lose colour vision in darkness. Cones are responsible for colour vision, and there are actually three different types of them, each responding to a different range of frequencies. Our brain interprets the varying stimulation of these types of cones as different colours.

(To be honest, I'm not sure how anything would "know they're picking up light they're not reacting to"--if they're not reacting to it they don't know it's there!).

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Recently ran across this YouTube page that's mostly about the history of media technology, but wanders into a few other fascinating topics for nerds like us, Technology Connections.

Here's one of the best explanations for how our eyes work that I've come across so far. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYbdx4I7STg

Edit: And as I rewatch it, I realize he talks about the very issue the OP asked about.
    Last edited by Jimorian; 2019-10-22 at 04:00 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

That isn't quite right. Rods pick up any sort of visible light and are extremely sensitive to it--in low light conditions they're the only photoreceptor cells in the eye that respond, which is why you lose colour vision in darkness. Cones are responsible for colour vision, and there are actually three different types of them, each responding to a different range of frequencies. Our brain interprets the varying stimulation of these types of cones as different colours.

(To be honest, I'm not sure how anything would "know they're picking up light they're not reacting to"--if they're not reacting to it they don't know it's there!).
    I always thought that Rods and Cones react to light and signal the optical nerves that they are getting light. Rods send out a Blue signal but don't react to the full spectrum. Cones send out a signal when it is in red, but in the absence of red light, they send out green. IE - I have a box. This box is too light to have metal in it, so it must be cardboard.

But your explanation is better then mine. Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    English: so broken, you technically cannot use it wrong.
    Grey Wolf