New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Let's return to playing Galactic Civilizations II - the HARD mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    Oh that is a sexy sexy starship you made for us. Not even those sickening 100 railgun fighters can stand up to a Macross Missile Massacre!
    I'd call that an exaggeration. It's more like a Macross Missile Accidental Manslaughter. Macross Missile Double Murder, tops.
    Truth resists simplicity.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Banned

Episode 9: Trouble solving, trouble shooting

An update so soon? This is madness!
    No. This. Is. GALCIV!

Anyway. Since the pressure is currently off my home planets. I'm rebuilding my surveyor fleet, previously decimated by the minor inconvenience of all-out war.
    Spoiler
    Show

Anomalies are good for us. Especially the "you found 1000 bc" and "+25% progress to current research" ones.

And it turns out Arceans are being devoured culturally. Like all big warrior races, they're prone to DECULTURE.
    Spoiler
    Show

Too bad I am not the one who does the influencing here. Like if the Drath needed more planets.

And now is time to present my colony ship.
    Spoiler
    Show

This is the brave vessel that endured countless weeks of flight from Korx forces. It was inches away from destruction sometimes, but it always managed to survive. And it went through half the galaxy in the process - but now it is safe home.
    I could refit it into a war transport, but that would be heartless. I will just keep it on my planet and build a city around it or something.

Surveyors are not the only thing I'm reconstructing.
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm sending out tiny ships that would collapse under the weight of construction materials they carry - if space had gravity. But since it's vacuum, these small Builders are alright to move around and rebuild all my starbases. All of them, and then some.

Ymir III was a planet with horrible morale problems. Some blame it on overcrowding and only basic approval-enhancing facilities. I blame it on the tech capital. Anyway, let's see what the solution to this one will be, alright?
    Spoiler
    Show

Due to a slightly reduced tax rate, approval is currently at around 60%. That's not 25%, but it's not what I aim for either.
    Time for a magic trick:
    Spoiler
    Show

Now, it's 89%! How did that happen? I've sent out 4 billion people on a transport. The remaining ones have more living space - or are they glad that some of their friends and relatives got away from the half-insane AI? You decide.

Here's one of the overpowered Korx fighters. Seriously, it seems to be Made of Gun.
    Spoiler
    Show

Will Victory Fleet be able to destroy it with no losses?
    Spoiler
    Show

Made of gun may it be, but it still has structural integrity of a tiny fighter. But it bit back with a nasty attack - prolonged combat can cause major attrition here.

I really wish we had some nanobots or other auto-repair stuff like that. Too bad others developed them earlier. Well! When their AI goes out of control, I will not be the one turning to gray goo.

Altarians call me again. Do they want to congratulate me on the war effort?
    Spoiler
    Show

Go to Hell. Go to Hell and die.
    Or alternatively, meet up with some lovely Snathi.

And to make things worse, the Korx are on the line next. What is it this time? More gloating, more threats?
    Spoiler
    Show

Ohh - you are getting your collective asses kicked, and now you want peace? Here is my response.
    Spoiler
    Show

That's right. It will be better for everyone, even the Korx themselves, if I overthrow the Korx. My logic is unquestionable.

My speech must have been very inspiring. To be precise, it inspired Creativity.
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, that would take a while to research. Thank you, robot drone!
    And billions of science workers all over my worlds, I guess.

My fleets clear out airspace around Valerian - another Korx planet.
    Spoiler
    Show

Okay, actually it was all Hunter Noventa. I've shown the first picture because it feels good to see my Phantoms take down enemy battlecruisers like that.

Anyway! A land invasion follows.
    Spoiler
    Show

Not only are we successful (of course we are, as the landing party were all tough frontiermen), it seems Korx were building something special on the planet! Let me finish it for them.

Another planet is right by Valerian. Let's take it too.
    Spoiler
    Show

Oplin is a radioactive planet, which may partially explain massive casualties resulting from this battle. Since I have no radioactive colonization tech, any production on surface is impossible - but worry not, for appropriate research is already underway!

Now, the results of my recent actions are twofold:
    1. The closest Korx frontier worlds are all under my control now. The wretched melty-faces have more, but they are a bit far away.
    2. The conquerors looted some tech. Very useful tech.

Now we can equip our units with Quantum Drivers - I can't put as many of them on a fighter as the Korx (damn you, inherent miniaturization bonus!), but it's still a potent and relatively cheap weapon. And since my enemies have started to catch on and are developing chaff and other anti-missile countermeasures, I will surprise them by switching over to railguns.

Important decision time! I have two big choices to make - and your opinion may potentially influence them. Or, if I consider you crazy or irresponsible, I will ignore it altogether. But thanks for the input anyway.

Choice I:
    Since the Korx called me yet another time (offscreen'd though), asking for ceasefire, should I agree if they do it once again? Do we aim for peace - or will we fight to the bitter end?

Choice II:
    What should we research now? The two big projects are:
    Spoiler
    Show

Technological victory. It doesn't provide me with any other bonuses, other than... you know, winning.

Spoiler
    Show

Black Hole Guns - the ultimate railgun weaponry. My units will be bristling with guns too!

Before you respond, you might want to read this: Here's a memo I got from my future self. I am not sure how I did it, but 4-dimensional manipulation must be involved. Good thing we researched that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    In less than a year from now on, the Drath will start researching Technological Victory of their own. And since they're Drath, they will be finished before I have a chance to - unless I take active countermeasures. which includes researching tech victory of my own right now.

So if I go for Black Hole Guns, I'm a stupid person. Instead, I should hope that I loot it from a conquered Korx world or something.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-03-13 at 03:56 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

I was curious whether all victory conditions were available to the other races. Now I know. And I fear.

Tell me, is there actually any other way than the "cheating" Technology Victory to win on Suicidal?
    Formerly known as Discord here and Maladin on avatarspirit.net.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Banned

Not really, unless I disable tech victory from the options menu. Maybe I should've done that - I wouldn't have my last chance lifesaver this way, but neither would the AI. And unlike the AI, I do not have an inherent x4 research multiplier.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, allowing science victory might not be the best way to survive when the enemies get such a research bonus. Especially since there are 9 of them, increasing the risk almost tenfold.

Suicidal difficulty certainly deserves its name. Don't even think playing it without a minmaxed race.
    Formerly known as Discord here and Maladin on avatarspirit.net.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Banned

The three highest difficulty settings are extreme, as computer opponents suddenly start getting bonuses to everything. If you enjoy a fair fight, stay away from them as they're not even moderately fair.

Tough might have looked easy on my previous LP, but that's because I am a rather experienced player. For beginner GalCiv emperors, I have a tautological statement: "tough is tough", as they say on the official forums. My best advice is to start on one of the easiest difficulty settings, if not the easiest, and play around until you have a grasp on the basics. How not to run out of money, what is good to research early on, etc.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-03-13 at 04:40 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Near Omnipotence? What kind of a second-hand research project is this? It let me get rid of my near-permanent laryngitis, but what if I catch a truly permanent one next time? It's like building ships that are almost immune to enemy fire! Doctor Tengsano demands full omnipotence! Go, Science Victory!

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't see why we shouldn't do tech victory. The Altarians will be attacking us soon. Unless we can forge a permanent alliance with some of the other xenos, this will be our only chance at victory.

Besides, I don't think the Altarians really like our TV shows like Hypnotoad and Friends.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

9. - Top - End - #189
    Barbarian in the Playground

I vote for research Tech Victory and stay at war with Korx. By staying at war we can capture more of their territory and loot while building up our armada against future invasions.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Barbarian in the Playground

I vote tech victory. Occupying the same space-time continuum as our many enemies is potentially hazardous to our health. As Minister of Flight I recommend fleeing into Higher Dimensions at the earliest possible opportunity.
    Don’t date the sane ones, they’ll only make you crazy. Date the really insane ones but never let them know where you live or work.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Go for tech-victory, because I certainly don't want us meekly handing victory to somebody else- and Tengsano, I don't have anything for permanent Laryngitis yet, but there was this nice vial that made people believe they were dogs and that was as close to permanent as I could determine... Yes, we did follow proper procedures for discovered hazardous substances, there's an unmarked vial of it headed for the tech capital as we speak- mixed in with a crate of local water samples (all of them unlabelled too).
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

((It's your let play so you do what you want. That said, while tech victory would be the fastest way to victory, where would be the fun in that ?
    I'd rather see all our planets and ships burn in an entertaining way rather than a borring win by turtling like hell in the end.

and keep at war with the Korx. it for a just cause after all. ))
    Because i'm havin way to much fun making those

Don't look at this unit this way. It's not it's fault this unit it hasway too to much free time on it's pinchers since everyone is gone to the front line.

((I wanted to give it more of an old soviet propaganda feel at first, but I'm just bad at image photoshoping and monochrome))
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2010-03-13 at 06:59 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

13. - Top - End - #193
    Colossus in the Playground

Technological victory. You'll still have to hold out for that long.

Also, glad to see that the press-ganging of malcontents worked. Though I'm not sure that Ymir III is populated by anyone except my agents and scientists anymore. I've been hearing rumours that the infamous Dr. Tengsano has been spreading dissent among the other scientists, something about ending this sham war to devote more resources to the researchers. Sounds like Korx-talk to me. Agents have been dispatched.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Though I'm not sure that Ymir III is populated by anyone except my agents and scientists anymore.
    Nope, there's also about 10k off-duty marines on Ymir III- mostly on site to test out the latest weapons the tech-heads come up with... There were 15k marines until the incident with the prototype neutron cluster bomb last month, but- on the bright side- the 5k marines who died were only a small part of the 18,960,754 death toll from that little accident... The rest belonged to the local majority groups.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Banned

I support ascension, supreme commander. We are fighting to ensure that our people are safe from war and leaving this plane should ensure that.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    I support ascension, supreme commander. We are fighting to ensure that our people are safe from war and leaving this plane should ensure that.
    Sounds like a good plan.

To get all of those layabouts who ditched our society out of our hair, and eaten by extra dimensional squirrel demons. So, yeah. I approve.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Banned

It seems the majority is voting for ascension. Good - best to go somewhere else, anywhere but here.

I plan to leave all the troublemakers, belligerent drill sargeant wannabes and rogue AIs behind though.

Anyway, I don't plan to turtle during this time. On the contrary - as a farewell gift, I will give the galaxy a bloodied nose or two. Or a billion.

18. - Top - End - #198

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Discord View Post
    I was curious whether all victory conditions were available to the other races. Now I know. And I fear.
    I don't think I've ever seen an AI race get an Alliance victory even when they had active alliances with everyone, including me. Maybe that's because I've never tried it on the harder difficulty levels?

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

In order to get an alliance victory, ALL surviving major races must be in the same alliance. So by definition, an alliance victory for the AI is an alliance victory for you.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Tech victory.

And I wasn't sure. The version I have has Dread Lords expansion, so I didn't know what had changed.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

21. - Top - End - #201
    Bugbear in the Playground

I say we accept the Korx offer of peace, and then try and drag them into a war against the Drath. They're already working on an Ascension victory, we've got to stop them getting *both* wins.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Banned

Well, the Drath are already at war with the Korx, thanks in no small part to my persuasion. They're the reason I can do anything in this war other than suffering beautifully. I've let the other races take the brunt of the Korx attack, or rather destroy Korx vessels wherever they find any. I just take over the planets.

23. - Top - End - #203

Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    I say we accept the Korx offer of peace, and then try and drag them into a war against the Drath. They're already working on an Ascension victory, we've got to stop them getting *both* wins.
    We were always at peace with the Korx.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Our uncivilian infrastructure is currently not unengaged in not unpeaceful actions with relation to the Korx. That's enough doubletalk for now though.
    Part of YugiohITP

25. - Top - End - #205

There's a difference between doublespeak and double negatives.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

There's a difference between doublespeak and double negatives.
    Only some of the time. I refer to George Orwell's not ungreen grass.
    Part of YugiohITP

27. - Top - End - #207

Grass is not green; there is no other side.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Grass is not green; there is no other side.
    Bizarro not am confused by single speak. Bizarro am feeling smarterest.

Hello!
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Bugbear in the Playground

The correct answer was always "There are no Korx. The Korx are a lie propagated by a certain definitely not rogue AI, due to problems that did not happen with its morality core -- that never existed (Neither the problems, nor the morality core)."

Edit: Er...
    Last edited by Blayze; 2010-03-14 at 07:49 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Banned

Episode 10: Operation STIOH

In case you wonder, the name stands for Screw This, I'm Outta Here.

Which means yes, we're going for the tech victory. Also, if the Korx ask for peace again, we tell them to stick it. But, spoiler alert! The Korx will not ask for peace anymore.

Appropriate measures were taken to assure Drath technological progress does not go as... smoothly as they hope for.
    Spoiler
    Show

Let's just say mr Tribble is involved.

Additionally, I have a message for the Drath themselves:
    Spoiler
    Show

I offer them some crappy technology in exchange of declaring war on... all available civilizations, pretty much. It's like asking everyone to fight the Drath, but the other way around - and since they are so crazy strong, it is easier for me to persuade them.
    Genius.

Speaking of geniuses, although mad ones...
    Spoiler
    Show

Doctor Tengsano will be satisfied, as I increased science funding. To make money distribution more efficient, I've let the technological capital AI handle it.

Research runs on a fast pace now. But that doesn't mean we are retreating and focusing on ascension exclusively. War with the Korx continues!
    Terra's unit dusts the defense off an enemy colony.
    Spoiler
    Show

The damage sustained was annoyingly high, as it was another one of these tiny fighters with over 150 railguns all over them. But at least now we can invade.

Spoiler
    Show

Korx generally have morale problems, so persuading some of them to join is an easy task. Of course, then they have to fight their own kin so they end up dead anyway.
    The planet is mine. And not just any planet - it was the Korx manufacturing capital! Which means now I have two.

I receive an important note from one of my field agents. The messenger looks nervous - but he ought to know better. Only idiots kill messengers when in charge. Well, if it was DeafnotDumb then I'd at least yell at him...
    Spoiler
    Show

FFFFFF
    Hate you so much Drath. I paid for this war, it isn't over until I say so.

This political incident made me realize one thing. Until I knew it, each opposing civilization entered all kind of deals with the others - alliances, economical and science treaties, and so on. When I finally climbed up to the national forum, there was already no opportunities for me to do that. But now that I subtly prodded the Drath to wage war on the rest of the universe (except the Underdogs), their treaties are null and void.
    And because each race can have a science and an economical treaty with only one other race, I must act quickly.
    Spoiler
    Show

It may look like it cost me dearly, but in the long run it's worth it. I also noticed other civilizations really like my outclassed and pathetically weak Space Knights mark I.

The resulting bonus to science and income allows me to do this.
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm spending 90% of my budget on science now (and because 5% is as good as nothing, I'm changing that to 100% pretty soon), and still earn money.
    Because of that, we research even faster. As a side effect, production of all kinds is on halt - if I want anything built, planetary improvement or a starship, I have to pay up. Except for colonies that focus on any of above, that is. But it hurts my science, so I try to minimize their numbers.

The Drath call me. Are they willing to re-negotiate their war with the Korx?
    Spoiler
    Show

Hate you so much.
    But while you're online - just because you did not start this talk to restart the fight with Korx, does not mean I didn't either.
    Spoiler
    Show

Getting a little extra out of this. The shrine will solve my approval issues, and since it's not an achievement but a secret project, I can build one even though the Drath already did ages ago.

On the frontier, fight with Korx rages on. Noventa's unit was the first to be upgraded into class II - one that uses newly acquired Quantum Drivers, cheaper and stronger than my previous missiles. Will he be able to destroy a fighter Made of Gun?
    Spoiler
    Show

Too close for comfort, but he did it. While the Phantom is scheduled for extensive repairs AGAIN, a transport goes in.
    Spoiler
    Show

Another planet is mine, and there were less than 75% casualties this time! Not counting the Korx that is. And this one has a x4 research tile!
    Yeah, I'm really glad we built the Hyperion Matrix on a x2 tile at the very start, rather than waiting until now.

As I mentioned earlier, the Underdogs currently have no production. If I want a building or a ship, I need to buy it. To buy things, I need more money. Who has money? Minor Races have money.
    Spoiler
    Show

Akilians and Scottlingas are still alive, and they will serve as sponsors quite nicely.
    Not that I extort their finances or anything. Just offer them some severely outdated and pretty much useless tech. We all know how it goes by now.

Because of my sudden influx of money...
    Spoiler
    Show

The Shrine of Mithralar is completed. It offers tiny bonuses in various things - and also +75% approval! Its influence should fight off my tech capital's evil vibes. Although I still have no idea why the capital is so ominous.

While we're still talking about science and technology...
    Spoiler
    Show

My weekly research rates don't look so bad now. Of course, this is because I have totally neglected every other area of my industry. But I must out-tech the Drath!
    Spoiler
    Show

I also construct and send out a tiny, lonely scout. Its pilot - Toric (now that decoys are temporarily not needed). His mission - locate more Drath worlds, so that we may implant spies to sabotage research on them.

Back to the Korx front. Things are going pretty well now that the Drath are back in the war, but let's rally more allies for my cause.
    Spoiler
    Show

Altarians don't really count as allies, what with their tries to mug me for bcs. But anyone will do, especially for such a small price as a pitiful laser design. Which I didn't research anyway, but looted off a conquered Korx world.

Also, about the report two pictures ago - the Victory fleet defeating a Korx defender:
    Spoiler
    Show

It was not without casualties. Xp194's unit exploded dramatically. Korx were so distracted by the fireworks display that they ignored a transport hovering above their now-defenseless planet.
    Spoiler
    Show

My invasion into enemy territory progresses smoothly, if not without sacrifices.

And now, I am aiming big. If my next hit succeeds, the enemy's reputation will be ruined. What do I am for?
    Spoiler
    Show

Their homeworld.

There is only one tiny little problem. As you'd expect from a capital world, it is heavily defended. Its defense fleet is unlike anything else I have ever seen. The vessels' combined offensive capabilities are rated at over 1000.

Extraordinary measures are in order.
    Spoiler
    Show

Suicide Ships are designed by one of my idea guys - who have no responsibility other than giving me good ideas, but it means they don't get any respect for them either. I think his name was Triaxx or something like that.
    This type of a unit is equipped with as many guns as possible, but its armor is nonexistant - since it uses a civilian body type. It has only 1 hp, so will never survive a real battle: but due to its concentrated armament, it will take many enemies with it. And it's relatively cheap, too.

Also, I lost a mining starbase. Damn. Just after I've rebuild it.

My fleet advances towards Korx. I have money to burn, and a good incentive to do so: all my existing Phantom vessels must be upgraded to class II.
    Spoiler
    Show

A transport is also prepared. I made sure that only the toughest and most morally bankrupt soldiers are on board. This includes some self-declared officer of morale, who had roughly 15 000 cases of police brutality filed against him. And my Marine commander. And a certain Oslecamo, whose land combat exploits are known for their brutality as much as for their efficiency. Finally, don't forget about DeafnotDumb - my Minister of Lasers was supposed to be here, as he annoyed me recently (and also because we have no usable lasers), but due to a paperwork mistake DeafnotDumb took his place.
    I gave this Dirty Dozen Four Billion an ultimatum: If they succeed invading Korx and survive, they will be honored and maybe even pardoned if I feel like it (pardoned of what crime, you ask? I'm sure we can think of something). And if they don't... well, less people for me to worry about. Either way, it's win for me.
    The tech capital came up with this idea. Smart AI, that one.

And then, a most unexpected thing happened.
    Spoiler
    Show

With an unexpected but certainly not unwanted economical boom, any financial problems I may have belong to the distant past.
    The only trouble is, the boom helps other civilizations too. I usually say, there are no bad or good events, only what you make of them - and that applies to everyone else, not only me.

More good news - the surveying effort finally paid off. Okay, it paid off the moment I located my second 1000 bc stash, but this time it paid off more.
    Spoiler
    Show

Time until research is completed: significantly shortened.

But on the other side, because no good thing lasts forever...
    Spoiler
    Show

The economy boom is over. After only ONE WEEK. That's some crazy fluctuation I sense in the galactic system. Could it be that someone is pulling the strings?

Also - my fleets that were stationed close to Korx, waiting for an opportunity to strike? They were stationed too close.
    Spoiler
    Show

My crews fought bravely, and the enemy fleet, the strongest of them all, was decimated. It lost over 50% of its numbers - but I lost everyone I had. Factotum, Even Human, Terra: their Phantoms battled to the last.
    At least I know Terra is still alive somewhere out there. I made sure her command vessel has a dedicated rescue capsule. Am I playing favorites? Of course not. Just making sure that, when we finally ascend to a higher plane of existence, I do not find her angry ghost there. That would be the most terrifying experience of my life.

Will my attack on the Korx homeworld succeed? I wish I could tell you now, but alas - this update is long enough as it is. And it is a good time to finish, because...
    Spoiler
    Show

We're but a step away from the tech victory. A very long step (above 30 weeks, apparently), but a single step nevertheless.

Next episode: Is this the finale? Or will the struggle continue? Who knows what will happen!
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-03-14 at 09:34 PM.