New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default I need ability ideas

So, I'm reworking and making my own class which is like a wild lycanthropic monk, and I want to have a sort of "final attack" as per the monks Quivering Palm strike. The only thing I can think of though is a "rip out your heart" sort of maneuver, which would be fine, but I have no idea how the mechanics of this would work.

So basically I'm asking: How would an ability which allows you to rip someone's heart out work?

and

What other beast like abilities would be cool as a "final attack"?
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: I need ability ideas

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    What other beast like abilities would be cool as a "final attack"?
    Biting at the heart and directly eating it. Make it a death effect usable a few times per day, and just have the character roll an attack. No save.

Eating the heart also restores "psyche," providing 1d6 temporary hit points per Hit Die of the creature whose heart you just ate.

Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Biting at the heart and directly eating it. Make it a death effect usable a few times per day, and just have the character roll an attack. No save.

Eating the heart also restores "psyche," providing 1d6 temporary hit points per Hit Die of the creature whose heart you just ate.

oO" ...I think that's a tad bit too powerful... No save and temporary hitpoints? Well, actually the temporal hitpoints isn't a bad idea, but the "no save" is.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

oO" ...I think that's a tad bit too powerful... No save and temporary hitpoints? Well, actually the temporal hitpoints isn't a bad idea, but the "no save" is.
    It's a level 20 capstone, yes?

Think about what the Magic users have been capable of for 12 levels.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bendraesar View Post
    It's a level 20 capstone, yes?

Think about what the Magic users have been capable of for 12 levels.
    ...good point...

6. - Top - End - #6

With limited uses per day or a once-per-encounter limit and an attack roll needed, I disagree, given that it's a 20th-level ability. It's also limited to a single target, and it's a death effect, which would exclude some enemies from being affected.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-11-05 at 12:18 AM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Going for the heart isn't very wolf-like... going for the throat is. Not very helpful, I know.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Nanoblack View Post
    Going for the heart isn't very wolf-like... going for the throat is. Not very helpful, I know.
    Lycanthrope, not werewolf specifically. It could be any lycanthropic-type creature.
    Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Lycanthrope, not werewolf specifically. It could be any lycanthropic-type creature.
    What he said.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

It could be a HP-dependent effect instead, akin to Power Word: Kill. Fort save-or-dies are a dime a dozen, which can make this an interesting difference for an ability.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

PirateGuy

I think it'd be actually better as "when in range of X feet, choose somebody to make a [insert save type here] save against a DC of 15 + .5RAWRMONK level + ConMod (or something). Failure means death.

So at high levels, you could literally be a wereeagle and kill someone with your eyes, or a weartiger and rip their body apart so fast that they can't block it... or a wereAIDS that destroys them from the inside... I guess...

I dunno. I just like using saves better.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Look at the final Tiger Claw maneuver (can't check the name right now):
    Make an attack roll, if it hits: fort save (STR-dependent) or die, if the save succeeds, +10d6 damage.
    I don't think that's overpowered at all.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Perhaps some form of swallow whole? or is that a bit too ridiculous? If during the class levels they grow in size then it could be very fitting
    Mojave, Mo' Problems.

My Post apocalyptic campaign setting for Legend: Shattered Lands

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Heres just a random idea off the top of my head. Its not an save or die, but it fits the flavor and can easily be modified to fit what your wanting.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kiai Howl(Su):
    You unleash a deep terrible roar from the pit of your stomach, enhanced by your Ki energy, in a 30ft line dealing 1d8 damage/ 2 lvls (max 10d8) that can Stun or Shaken enemies it affects. Upon a failed save (DC = 10+1/2 HD+Con mod) enemies take full damage and are stunned for 1 round. A successful save halves the damage and only shakens enemies for 3 rounds.
    Last edited by Antonok; 2010-11-05 at 09:43 AM.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

I agree with Eldan, Feral Death Blow, the 9th level Tiger Claw maneuver, is quite perfect as a capstone, possibly upgraded a bit, available 1/encounter. I would have given the True Werewolf (or whatever you want to call it) Tiger Claw maneuvers, but I didn't know if you had Tome of Battle.

Also, I didn't include it before, but Beast in the Blood is meant to make you immune to Poison and Disease, flavored as the werewolf disease protectiing your immune system.
    Last edited by Tael; 2010-11-05 at 10:25 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

To be fair, wouldn't limiting Feral Death blow to only once per encounter actually make it weaker than a martial adept of lower level who just got access to 9th-level maneuvers? If I remember maneuvers right (and I admittedly may not) it takes a full-round action or less for a swordsage or warblade to restock their maneuvers, meaning that it's hardly inconceivable for that class to use FDB multiple times per enounter at a level lower than 20. I think that should probably be the target Tier this class goes for, right around Tier 3 which typically makes save-or-dies available before the level 20 benchmark so long as there are conditions with it.
    A proud contributor to DnD-Wiki.org, which focuses on the production of quality homebrew content as well as maintenance of the SRD and other Open Game Licensed material.

My favorite class is the ranger, a fact that I am ashamed of because the 3.5e incarnation of it kind of sucks. As a result, I'm very stubborn and opinionated concerning what I think a ranger should be, so if you post a ranger variant I will probably post what I think about it for good or ill.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aran Banks View Post
    I think it'd be actually better as "when in range of X feet, choose somebody to make a [insert save type here] save against a DC of 15 + .5RAWRMONK level + ConMod (or something). Failure means death.

So at high levels, you could literally be a wereeagle and kill someone with your eyes, or a weartiger and rip their body apart so fast that they can't block it... or a wereAIDS that destroys them from the inside... I guess...

I dunno. I just like using saves better.
    Heh... weresilver (play on silverware). I stab your eyes out with spoons, then impale you with knives and leave a giant fork through your chest. Yeah, I just thought of this as a lolz class

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tael View Post
    I agree with Eldan, Feral Death Blow, the 9th level Tiger Claw maneuver, is quite perfect as a capstone, possibly upgraded a bit, available 1/encounter. I would have given the True Werewolf (or whatever you want to call it) Tiger Claw maneuvers, but I didn't know if you had Tome of Battle.

Also, I didn't include it before, but Beast in the Blood is meant to make you immune to Poison and Disease, flavored as the werewolf disease protectiing your immune system.
    Ah, I see. Actually, I've taken what you've posted and am basically making my own variant of what you've done.

Do you care to see what I've got so far, or should I just post it in the home brew section?

19. - Top - End - #19

Ah, I see. Actually, I've taken what you've posted and am basically making my own variant of what you've done.

Do you care to see what I've got so far, or should I just post it in the home brew section?
    Don't post it if it's unfinished. You'll die of "unknown causes." That would be unfortunate.

Note: This post contains a fairly poor joke. Still, don't post it unfinished. Just post it here if you want us to see what you've got so far.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-11-05 at 11:12 PM.
    Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't post it if it's unfinished. You'll die of "unknown causes." That would be unfortunate.
    In that case I'll finalize it the best I can and just post it on this thread.

21. - Top - End - #21

In that case I'll finalize it the best I can and just post it on this thread.
    It's probably for the best. Also note the edit.
    Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

It's probably for the best. Also note the edit.
    Hoho, haa.. funny I'll get onto showing what I've got.