New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default OotS Style Art/Fanart Showcase IV

This be the place to show off your latest avatar creations.

And here is a link to the previous thread.

To start things off again, some pictures I've done that I like.

.............. ..............
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OotS Style Art/Fanart Showcase IV

And to keep them rolling and hopefully regain the momentum that was lost at the last stages of the previous thread.

A tutorial on making Flames as asked for by Killitwithfire.

Making a Flame in any Vector editing program

Spoiler
    Show

There are of course other ways to do it, as Cealocanth posted bellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Cealocanth View Post
    There is another way to do fire. If you take the area a flame takes and split it up into many overlapping, but not identical sections, you can make a flame that looks like less of a large bulky object that reacts to the environment behind it, such as in the avatars below.

Just another way to do it. It looks great as is.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2010-12-29 at 01:20 AM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ok yes that looks doable. I also tweeked the hood of my avatar a little bit, the tip didn't align right so I think that's what you ment when you said it looked off. I'll do the fire in the morning as it just passed midnight.

The fire looks more intense pre-transparency so I think I might use less than you did or possibly none at all.
    Last edited by KillItWithFire; 2010-12-28 at 12:04 AM.

I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful Neutral
    Halfling Wizard/Cleric
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 16
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 12

There are 10 types of people in this world:
    Those that know ternary,
    those that don't
    and those that thought this was a binary joke.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

A Half-fey Drow I did recently, I decided to draw it after making a character for an epic level game on the boards:

Spoiler
    Show

Corrections made, here's the newest one so far:

The one thing that bugs me about it (no pun intended ) is the ear, and the line coming off the ear to show that it's sort of poking through her hair, not holding all of it back.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2010-12-28 at 01:32 AM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    A Half-fey Drow I did recently, I decided to draw it after making a character for an epic level game on the boards:

*snip*

The one thing that bugs me about it (no pun intended ) is the ear, and the line coming off the ear to show that it's sort of poking through her hair, not holding all of it back.
    Is there a story behind that blindfold?

I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful Neutral
    Halfling Wizard/Cleric
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 16
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 12

Those that know ternary,
    those that don't

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

*snip*

I like it, I find it rather cool and cute.

Three things:

The hair looks strange because the ear lower lobe turns to violently, try to make it slowly descend and become one with the line, and make the line a little shorter.

Her right Wing is wrong from the perspective point of view,it should be smaller in wide, a little bit.

And the right arm seems a bit choppy, try to make the lower part of the sleeve one smooth curve.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Edit: to Killitwithfire:

Yeah, it's a simple magical item but she has it on for a pretty symbolic reason.

Spoiler
    Show

During her adventures she fell prey to depression caused (mostly) by her lack of faith. Most of the other party-members had their own faith, and the only deity she was able to establish a connection to was Lolth - something she didn't ever want to do, because she hates her own kind (for several reasons, really, but it's probably because her adoptive mother tried to off her and, when she failed, exiled her from the Underdark). So, she went on a sort of pilgrimage to find a new deity; most of the non-evil clerics didn't want anything to do with her, and she didn't want to join the cult of another evil deity. Backstabbing was high on her list of "things evil people seem to do a lot of".

After years of rejection from various churches, one deity's followers finally looked past her heritage and invited her to join them, so long as she could bear to look upon a vision of their deity - Pelor. Yeah, god of the Sun.

Crunch-wise, her Knowledge (Religion) was (in my mind at least ) low until after this incident.

So she agreed, after learning some things about the deity, and looked on. She couldn't bear the sight of the Sun God (Light blindness and all that); it nearly burned her eyes out. So she fled the scene, and in desperation tried to claw her eyes out (note the scars near the blindfold). She wasn't successful in doing so, and she regained her vision after a while; when she did, though, she wished to wear the blindfold, for a few reasons; the incident had left her eyes a different color, and a bit of defiance - the blindfold is a Blindfold of True Darkness, which blocks all light. She had it crafted by an old adventuring friend.

She decided then that she would stop her hunt for faith and find power within herself (at this time she gained her first level in the Exemplar class - a class that exemplifies skill mastery in hopes of spurring other people to improve themselves). So, the Blindfold has mechanical purposes, yes, but it's mostly there for story reasons - she sometimes takes it off when in complete darkness, but doesn't let other people look directly into her eyes on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    I like it, I find it rather cool and cute.

Three things:

The hair looks strange because the ear lower lobe turns to violently, try to make it slowly descend and become one with the line, and make the line a little shorter.
    Okay, I'll give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    Her right Wing is wrong from the perspective point of view,it should be smaller in wide, a little bit.

And the right arm seems a bit choppy, try to make the lower part of the sleeve one smooth curve.
    That's her right, right? Or my right...?
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2010-12-28 at 12:22 AM.
    Morning Star

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Edit: to Killitwithfire:

Yeah, it's a simple magical item but she has it on for a pretty symbolic reason.

Spoiler
    Show

During her adventures she fell prey to depression caused (mostly) by her lack of faith. Most of the other party-members had their own faith, and the only deity she was able to establish a connection to was Lolth - something she didn't ever want to do, because she hates her own kind (for several reasons, really, but it's probably because her adoptive mother tried to off her and, when she failed, exiled her from the Underdark). So, she went on a sort of pilgrimage to find a new deity; most of the non-evil clerics didn't want anything to do with her, and she didn't want to join the cult of another evil deity. Backstabbing was high on her list of "things evil people seem to do a lot of".

After years of rejection from various churches, one deity's followers finally looked past her heritage and invited her to join them, so long as she could bear to look upon a vision of their deity - Pelor. Yeah, god of the Sun.

Crunch-wise, her Knowledge (Religion) was (in my mind at least ) low until after this incident.

So she agreed, after learning some things about the deity, and looked on. She couldn't bear the sight of the Sun God (Light blindness and all that); it nearly burned her eyes out. So she fled the scene, and in desperation tried to claw her eyes out (note the scars near the blindfold). She wasn't successful in doing so, and she regained her vision after a while; when she did, though, she wished to wear the blindfold, for a few reasons; the incident had left her eyes a different color, and a bit of defiance - the blindfold is a Blindfold of True Darkness, which blocks all light. She had it crafted by an old adventuring friend.

She decided then that she would stop her hunt for faith and find power within herself (at this time she gained her first level in the Exemplar class - a class that exemplifies skill mastery in hopes of spurring other people to improve themselves). So, the Blindfold has mechanical purposes, yes, but it's mostly there for story reasons - she sometimes takes it off when in complete darkness, but doesn't let other people look directly into her eyes on purpose.
    Beautiful... [Claps] I wish my current party would actually engage in that sort of things instead of trying to commit suicide because their gods gave them weapons (It kinda makes sense in OOC context)

That's her right, right? Or my right...?
    Her right.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2010-12-28 at 12:24 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Attempt to fix:

Spoiler
    Show

How does it look now? I think I botched the wing again though...
    Morning Star

10. - Top - End - #10

Yeah, the wings don't look like they come together.

Here's an old image I made that has a better wing view.
    Spoiler
    Show

If I move the body out of the way, the edges of the wings (identical except for stretching and stuff) that aren't seen are nearly right on top of each other.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by memnarch; 2010-12-28 at 12:53 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, you're right - I see it now. Humm humm off to fix

How about now?
    Spoiler
    Show

Edit: I tried a different method of changing the right wing's shape, too:

Last edited by Derjuin; 2010-12-28 at 12:59 AM.
    Morning Star

12. - Top - End - #12

That looks better, but one last nitpick; the top of the closer, left wing should be higher than the further, right wing.

13. - Top - End - #13

That looks better, but one last nitpick; the top of the closer, left wing should be higher than the further, right wing.

Also, nice choice of colours for the wing.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks

I really don't mean to be flooding the first page with minor corrections...but here's the next attempt at a fix:

Spoiler
    Show

Morning Star

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks

I really don't mean to be flooding the first page with minor corrections...but here's the next attempt at a fix:

Spoiler
    Show

The wings look right, the ear... not so much, could you try not having the line at all, it kinda has worked on my elves before

Wouldn't it be easier if one merely edited his original post to add corrections?
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2010-12-28 at 01:21 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Sure - here's a few things I tried after removing the line:

Spoiler
    Show

No line, closely resembles original hairstyle; this one doesn't quite look right to me...

No line, hair and ear moved so that the hair is gathered behind the ear:

actually, you're right - I'll do that...the only problem is that the thread won't auto-update on the list if I simply edit (I believe - I might be wrong on this though). The first post in the series of posts about this image is updated with the latest picture now
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2010-12-28 at 01:32 AM.
    Morning Star

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Sure - here's a few things I tried after removing the line:

Spoiler
    Show

No line, closely resembles original hairstyle; this one doesn't quite look right to me...
    snip

No line, hair and ear moved so that the hair is gathered behind the ear:
    snip

actually, you're right - I'll do that...the only problem is that the thread won't auto-update on the list if I simply edit (I believe - I might be wrong on this though). The first post in the series of posts about this image is updated with the latest picture now
    You are right it won't auto-update.

Now, unto the ear dilema.
    You use an interesting design of ear but we can work with it to get the result you probably desire.

Elven Ears under Hair 4 simple steps to making the elves more Elvish and the Drow more... Drowsy?

Spoiler
    Show

1. You have the Hair and you have the ear, pretty much the base step.
    2. You drag the ear into place, and draw a line where it is going to get buried under hair, make sure that it covers everything that is not bordered by a black line.

3. Copy and paste the line, and complete its path around the area of the ear that is supposed to be hidden, eliminate line color and instead color it the same as the hair.
    4.Send the line that cuts the ear to the top.

Now lets practice these on the beautiful volunteer Derjuin has just supplied us.

Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2010-12-28 at 02:05 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Ok just fixed the fire on my guy, and that elven ear turtorial is gonna be helpful in a few other projects I have in mind I like that

So I give you: Unamed pyromaniac V 2.0!

EDIT: that came out a little small, lets blow him up a bit shall we?
    Last edited by KillItWithFire; 2010-12-28 at 09:00 AM.

I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful Neutral
    Halfling Wizard/Cleric
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 16
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 12

Those that know ternary,
    those that don't

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sharing the OotSatars I have shuffled through so far.

And my latest:

Hope this one lasts me at least a week.
    "Those who accept their fate find happiness; those who defy it, glory." ~Princess Tutu

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillItWithFire View Post
    Ok just fixed the fire on my guy, and that elven ear turtorial is gonna be helpful in a few other projects I have in mind I like that

So I give you: Unamed pyromaniac V 2.0!

EDIT: that came out a little small, lets blow him up a bit shall we?
    You might want to thicken all the lines (except the ones on the face), also, give fire a border, either black or slightly darker than the bordermost color in it.
    Finally, randomize it's pattern, if you need an idea, search for flame in google and try to trace one and then edit it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by yldenfrei View Post
    Sharing the OotSatars I have shuffled through so far.

And my latest:

Hope this one lasts me at least a week.
    Those are beautiful, as everything else that you have done to date. I really like the third one from the left. Also, in the last one, the one you are planning to use, you could place more of those darker than hair lines to give a better sensation of movement.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2010-12-28 at 04:15 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Took your advice on darkening the lines and it does look much better, makes the whole thing more vibrant. I also messed with the gradiant color of the flame. (The yellow is my dad's idea actually)

I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful Neutral
    Halfling Wizard/Cleric
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 16
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 12

Those that know ternary,
    those that don't

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Took your advice on darkening the lines and it does look much better, makes the whole thing more vibrant. I also messed with the gradiant color of the flame. (The yellow is my dad's idea actually)

#snip#
    That looks a lot better, you may want to move the flame into the hand thhough, also, I think it's just me, but you may want to try measuring it side by side with an OoTS character (from the comic or Rich's Avatars) since I think it's a little taller than the average character, but that's probably just me.

23. - Top - End - #23

It is a little taller, that's intentional. I felt it made his proportions a little more human. Probably only noticing it now as I changed it between this version and the last.

EDIT: Oh oh lightbulb, what if I jetison the fire out the right hand facing skyward and put a fancy staff in the left where the flame is now. (closes IE opens Inkscape)
    Last edited by KillItWithFire; 2010-12-28 at 05:45 PM.

I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful Neutral
    Halfling Wizard/Cleric
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 16
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 12

Those that know ternary,
    those that don't

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here's a little one I did.

Oh, and yes, the bow is supposed to be that large.
    Beware the many wrong things in this spoiler!
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Order of the Stick Jr.
    Meet : Alexander, Joan, Ross, Leilandius, Hitomi, Ngoc and Arduvanius

As interpreted (and drawn) by yours truly, Yiuel

Yiuel LeMelvillois
    Only on blank paper do we write the best stories...

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Yiuel View Post

snip

Nicely done, though I'm sure you can't shoot that thing straight forward, looks like it would hit the ground first.
    Last edited by KillItWithFire; 2010-12-28 at 05:38 PM.

I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful Neutral
    Halfling Wizard/Cleric
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 16
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 12

Those that know ternary,
    those that don't

26. - Top - End - #26

Looks like it would be more for portable artillery.

27. - Top - End - #27

Yes here we are, a nice lookin staff and the hair tweeked a little bit such that it doesn't look like part of the hood as much.

I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful Neutral
    Halfling Wizard/Cleric
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 16
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 12

Those that know ternary,
    those that don't

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga
    Those are beautiful, as everything else that you have done to date. I really like the third one from the left. Also, in the last one, the one you are planning to use, you could place more of those darker than hair lines to give a better sensation of movement.
    Noted. I thought the first blonde girl's hair had too much definition, so I took it out altogether. Didn't realize it would look rather flat.

A revision:

Quote Originally Posted by KillItWithFire
    When drawing fire, I always keep a tip in mind: Flame tendrils always go up, with only few variations. the base may follow the fuel's trajectory, but the ends will only curve a little before going up.

I like the character proportions though. Reminds me of Malack, standing above normal OotS people ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Yiuel
    *snip*
    Love it. I once used something similar (not double my size though, just a foot taller than me) and that's how we were told to draw it. Very good for uber long shots. Hell to pull though.

A little note on colors: The purple and red tend to stick out uncomfortably. I suggest muting/desaturating out one of them so they won't clash that much. If you notice, you can't stare at the skirt detail and the runes on the bow without hurting your eyes.
    "Those who accept their fate find happiness; those who defy it, glory." ~Princess Tutu

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes here we are, a nice lookin staff and the hair tweeked a little bit such that it doesn't look like part of the hood as much.
    It's gotten a lot better, keep it up, and you may want to go keep playing around with the shape of the fire, try to look at the comic itself for references, I believe in the period between 200 and 300 there were several panels with fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Yiuel View Post

[IMG]#awsome image of a heavy archer/long bow#[/IMG]

It looks awesome, but you may want to reduce line size on her, a bit, not too much, but still, it looks amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by yldenfrei View Post
    A little note on colors: The purple and red tend to stick out uncomfortably. I suggest muting/desaturating out one of them so they won't clash that much. If you notice, you can't stare at the skirt detail and the runes on the bow without hurting your eyes.
    Also this, you may want to reduce saturations on one or both of those colors or use the colour slider and pull it towards a darker shade of it. Unless you want the contrast, in which case you may want to make them one bit lighter (lighten in hue/saturation or pull the colour toward a shade of white) and the other one a bit darker, since they are effectively fluorescent.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

There is another way to do fire. If you take the area a flame takes and split it up into many overlapping, but not identical sections, you can make a flame that looks like less of a large bulky object that reacts to the environment behind it, such as in the avatars below.

Just another way to do it. It looks great as is.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)