New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Can someone help me think of 100 future technologies/inventions?

Its for a roleplaying game project I'm working on. Any type of technology is welcome; any category (e.g. medical, propulsion). Try to be as creative as possible but word things like "time machine" instead of "machine that can travel through time". Also, try to limit the technobabble. A numbered list from 1-100 would be great. The tech has to seem realistic. It should also be somewhat advanced in nature.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Can someone help me think of 100 future technologies/inventions?

1) 3D organic printers that can print anything from individual organs to entire bodies.

2) DNA restoration process: A process that restores aging cells with non aging ones. The machine needs records of what you want to actually be restored, so there needs to be precise DNA records. This leads to a black market for identity theft.

3) Corporate Sponsored Afterlife

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

4. Space Elevators!!

5. A toilet seat that wipes your butt for you.

6. A portable dialysis machine that keeps the nutrient levels in your blood on a constant level.

7. One Size Fits All clothing that adjusts to your body size (back to the future style)

8. Dream recorders, a brain scanner that makes your dreams into a cool movie you can watch back.

9. Artificial Bees (small pollinating drones?), because bees are useful but are, of course, all extinct in the future.

10. Artificial Panda's, because panda's won't be extinct, but heck, you never have too much panda's.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum77 View Post
    Its for a roleplaying game project I'm working on. Any type of technology is welcome; any category (e.g. medical, propulsion). Try to be as creative as possible but word things like "time machine" instead of "machine that can travel through time". Also, try to limit the technobabble. A numbered list from 1-100 would be great. The tech has to seem realistic. It should also be somewhat advanced in nature.
    Two questions:

1. To whom must it seem realistic? In other words, how credulous and how informed is your target audience?

2. Can you elaborate upon "somewhat advanced?" Do you want 10 years in the future, 100, 1000...?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    Two questions:

1. To whom must it seem realistic? In other words, how credulous and how informed is your target audience?

2. Can you elaborate upon "somewhat advanced?" Do you want 10 years in the future, 100, 1000...?

Just not technobabble like handwavium and it can be from any time period in the future

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

11.) Ubiquitous corporate monitoring that charges your credit card every time it detects that you've said a trademarked word
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

12) C4 in a spray can. Properties: Quick Drying. When dry, it explodes upon touch/contact or if electricity (including static electricity) passes through it.

Can be used to destroy electronics or as land mines.......Or whatever your creative mind will allow.

Not sold in stores. Order now and receive a free canister of:

13) Cement Foam. Properties: Explosively fast and high volume foam that will instantly harden to cement after expansion. Say like in 1 second.
    Last edited by FreddyNoNose; 2017-06-24 at 03:29 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

14.) corporate malware that crashes your computer if it thinks that you're trying to download content illegally or discuss last night's ball game without the expressed written consent of major league baseball

15.) Purified THC in a can

16.) Computers with no local storage, only cloud content, so that the Russians can access your files even when you're away from your PC.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-07-10 at 07:37 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

17) Biochemical techniques that allow individuals to permanently and entirely change their own personalities in any desired way. People could switch themselves to become more dominant, to gain aptitude in music or mathematics, to raise or lower thresholds for pain, disgust, or aggression. Every such change comes at the expense of their existing self.

18) Meteorological predictive models and climate control systems that allow for precise weather control by adjusting the albedo of the planet's surface at numerous large solar banks.

19) Transcontinental super-trains connecting every continent on the planet, except for Australia (South America - North America - Asia - Europe - Africa). The trains are only for freight, plus few very privileged people -- the threat of terrorist attack is too great to allow for regular passenger service. Cargo is extensively screened.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

20) Home/on location delivery drones for goods

21) General purpose personal servant robot

22) Single stage to orbit and back to the launch pad instantly reusable launch vehicles

23) Space mining

24) Technologically enabled telepathy and empathy

25) External memory storage for your brain

26) Fusion power plants and distributed power on the grid with solar power

27) Extremely powerful batteries, energy density higher than C4 plastic explosive (and therefore more dangerous)
    Last edited by Mastikator; 2017-07-02 at 05:30 AM.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Memory Metal: Metal which can be formed into different shapes, and returns to those shapes at specific temperatures or when specific amounts of electricity are applied to them.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2017-07-02 at 10:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    5. A toilet seat that wipes your butt for you.
    Isn't that a bidet?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Perch View Post
    Isn't that a bidet?
    It doesn't wipe, it washes.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Memory Metal: Metal which can be formed into different shapes, and returns to those shapes at specific temperatures or when specific amounts of electricity are applied to them.
    so some type of gallium alloy?
    Muad'drin tia dar allende caba'drin rhiadem! Los Valdar Cuebiyari! Los! Carai an Caldazar! Al Caldazar!

Amazing avatar by Linklele

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    Oh wadda you know Gary, you're just a baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Yes, but immunity to wizard and resistance to fighter kinda makes up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    It's all fun and games until you encounter the roc weremegalodon

15. - Top - End - #15

29.) Cloned mammoths

30.) A diet snack food made from a mix of Splenda, Olestra, and Mrs.Dash

31.) As an alternative to uploaded consciousness, someone's brain mapped and then recreated out of squid giant neurons (as noted in Young Frankenstein, making things to an enormous scale would simplify things)

32.) Non-genetically-engineered sapient talking animals created via a combination of brain surgery and nootropic drugs like in The Island of Dr.Moreau
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-07-03 at 05:36 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Gary View Post
    Maybe? The important thing is it reforms itself to an exact shape so you can make multiple things out of one piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Maybe? The important thing is it reforms itself to an exact shape so you can make multiple things out of one piece.
    For maximum plausibility it could be nanobots suspended in ferrofluid, using electromagnetism to change its shape and stiffness. Hell, you could add other properties like the ability to change opaqueness and conductivity, allowing it to not only take on any form but also become electronics components.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Gary View Post
    Memory metals are already here.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

33) Google glass, but in lens form and actually useful
    34) Jet packs!
    35) Meteor mining
    Geyr nú Garmr mjök
    fyr Gnipahelli,
    festr mun slitna
    en freki renna
    Now Garm howls loud
    before Gnipahellir
    The fetters will burst,
    and the wolf run free

20. - Top - End - #20

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    6. A portable dialysis machine that keeps the nutrient levels in your blood on a constant level.
    36) A pill that means that isn't necessary.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by fire_insideout View Post
    34) Jet packs!
    they already exist, they are not that effective but there are some out there
    Muad'drin tia dar allende caba'drin rhiadem! Los Valdar Cuebiyari! Los! Carai an Caldazar! Al Caldazar!

Amazing avatar by Linklele

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    Oh wadda you know Gary, you're just a baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Yes, but immunity to wizard and resistance to fighter kinda makes up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    It's all fun and games until you encounter the roc weremegalodon

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

36. "Heat Engine": Converts ambient heat directly into work. Scare quotes to differentiate it from current heat engines, which use a temperature differential.

23. - Top - End - #23

37.) A roomba-like lawnmower

Omegaupdate Forum

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Nutrition: I needn't drink to get energy
    Clothes: no washing, i can change color, style, size as i want

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

38. Variable Force Projectile Launcher. Less-Than-Lethal handgun capable of quickly determining the distance to target, before firing a self-propelled projectile with just enough force to reach the target and take it down, with a reasonable chance of not killing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    37.) A roomba-like lawnmower
    Haven't those existed almost as long as roombas have?
    Last edited by Concrete; 2017-08-01 at 09:12 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

39. Utility Fog.

27. - Top - End - #27

40. A toilet that recognizes the users by DNA and keeps a personalized log of the contents of their excretions, measuring many values and immediately informing them in case of bloody materials or important pathogens or poisons. Notifications are fully adjustable. Can also give dietary advice. You can send your log to your physician.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    For maximum plausibility it could be nanobots suspended in ferrofluid, using electromagnetism to change its shape and stiffness. Hell, you could add other properties like the ability to change opaqueness and conductivity, allowing it to not only take on any form but also become electronics components.
    You mean Shape-memory alloys? I've taken lectures from a professor at my university who does research in this exact field, and the current method is just using specific metal alloys. I'm trying to get into his research lab because SMA's are pretty neat.

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    36. "Heat Engine": Converts ambient heat directly into work. Scare quotes to differentiate it from current heat engines, which use a temperature differential.
    I know this is for a futuristic tech thread, but this is either going to be physically impossible, or overwhelmingly inefficient. I'm kinda curious to see how the thermodynamics math actually plays out, but just based on what I know from my thermo classes, this shouldn't be physically feasible.

Edit: 41) Piezoelectric floor tiles: Piezoelectric materials accumulate electric charge when you apply mechanical stress. With piezoelectric floor tiles, you can generate power by walking around!
    Last edited by Beeliever; 2017-08-01 at 11:04 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

I'm curious about the purpose of this thread. Usually new technologies are put into a story or a game to serve some plot purpose--even if that purpose is merely to wow the audience with how neat technology is. However, you're just shotgunning random stuff for your game. Is your intent just to give your players a sandbox full of random toys and see what they do with them (and you're crowd sourcing the toys instead of making them up yourself in order to avoid unconsciously nudging the players in a certain direction?)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"The McGuffin Device"

A tool made by Jeffery Vincent McGuffin, an inventor captured by [big bad galactic empire]. It has the ability to be provide whatever a person needs for any situation. It is about the size of a battery, and once activated, it will ask for what you require, and then scan in a 60-meter radius. After it is done scanning, it will give out instructions that, if followed with extreme accuracy, will produce whatever you require. It can be connected to a larger scanner to enhance its scan-range and potential, even including planets and empires if the scale becomes large enough.
    "My new favorite spell is Ice Knife, because it is a throwing knife made from ice, and a grenade."