New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GLoG 92: Generosity, Love, Opportunity, Growth

Island Barrow

Isaac shakes his head.
    ”Disturbing the dead is usually bad either way. Maybe we should just go?” he suggests.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

Baccata's Yew

"I still protest being called a 'being of nature'. I'm a dryad and my soul is a tree... Or maybe I'm the soul of a tree. Either way, I am entirely natural and even super-natural, but still not a 'being of nature'. I'm a dryad and a psychopomp, not a being of nature." Baccata really doesn't see it, though it's probably true. "I'm not convinced by those wings. I can't feel any life in them. Even if they'd been ripped from a living thing and were now dead, they'd remember living and I could sense it." She'll reach out and try to touch one.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

[In Search of a Fortress]

Khannie has acquired a giant cave swallow!

At least temporarily.

She rubs her fingers in its feathers a bit.

This is a weird bird.

"How giant do they get?" she asks?

Seems like an obvious enough question when something is described as 'giant'.

Like... dog giant? A dog sized bird would be a pretty big bird. So long as they're animal birds and not flying type pokemon. Flying types can get pretty big.

[Island]

"I think the sword might have the same thing that's going on with the ring, maybe?" Lucas says as he hovers his hand near the hilt.

Doesn't touch it, though.

"It feels almost static-y. Maybe they're related?"

He ponders for a few moments.

"Maybe there's something down here that says why they're buried?"
    he'll look around for inscriptions!

Usually burial places like this have something to say about who is buried.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmęre Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Kids and Bear]

Reelshka runs her hand through her hair.

"I suppose there comes a time in every mother's life when she has to take a step back and relent."

Tuskfang squeaks happily and bounces along with Asher.

"Yaaay! But..." he stops and thinks. "Now I really gotta decide what I want."

"With my and your father's supervision," Reelshka adds.

[Baccata's Yew]

Sophie reaches out to try and touch the wings. She looks impressed but still concerned.

"It would save us a lot of time, certainly. Are you sure they can pass for real ones under a medical examination? Xeyal is unhinged, but clever and paranoid."
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Baccata's Yew

"I still protest being called a 'being of nature'. I'm a dryad and my soul is a tree... Or maybe I'm the soul of a tree. Either way, I am entirely natural and even super-natural, but still not a 'being of nature'. I'm a dryad and a psychopomp, not a being of nature." Baccata really doesn't see it, though it's probably true. "I'm not convinced by those wings. I can't feel any life in them. Even if they'd been ripped from a living thing and were now dead, they'd remember living and I could sense it." She'll reach out and try to touch one.
    [Kids and Bear]

Asher stops and starts making suggestions he thinks would fit Tuskfang, though at the end of the day it's up to his friend. "L-Like a doggy, or a w-wolf doggy!"

[Baccata's Yew]

Ruth just smiles a smile that implies she knows more than Baccata does, but relents. "Of course, my dear." She doesn't mention how being a psychopomp makes her a being of nature, since death is part of the cycle, which leads to rebirth. At least for her kind.

When she's challenged as to the authenticity of the wings, Ruth is quick to up the realness factor by touching the feathers, transforming them from merely imitiating life to actually being living light. Since Sophie appears impressed, she figures she'd probably decide to keep them. Being a demigod might render that unnecessary, though, but they'll have to see later. "They can now, my dear." She says in a motherly manner.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Memory Woods Hut]

Venmaunt gets a little bit twitchy as Needs slithers his way into a corner, but fails to get properly violent again.
    Instead he not-so-subtly shifts his posture to keep an eye on the corner, quietly twiddling his fingers around the hilt of his sword.
    In the background he may be, but unmonitored he shan't be.

Across the room, Magtok apparently says just enough to trigger some vaguely despaired, "why me?" sort of look on Delilah's face which pairs rather interestingly with the pleased look on the old woman Feia's.
    "We weren't supposed to be here for this."
    Delilah mutters irritably to herself over there, fidgeting a bit with the necklace she wears, before she takes a breath and composes something up.
    "Okay, yes. This arrangement probably looks about as terrible as it is, but unfortunately it's important."

The old woman makes a quieting little gesture with her hand and decides to speak up for the first time here, locking her gaze onto Magtok with a disquieting sort of eagerness.
    A bit like someone who hasn't eaten in days seeing a particularly delicious sandwich.
    For all of that though, her voice remains kind and pleasant, not much like the usual arrogant callousness Magtok has come to associate with Feia.
    "Tell me, Magtok. Are you here because you feel responsible for Libitina's plight, or because you want to stop my sister and save the day?"

One could argue these aren't mutually exclusive options, technically, but there's the impression that the distinction still matters here.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

[Kids and Bear]

"When we were down in the dwarf fortress, Endok and Olon's father told me about a kind of white and pink lizard," Reelshka says. "He said they make good pets."

"A lizard?" Tuskfang's curiosity seems piqued. "There's lots of lizards down in the colony. But they're not pink."

[Baccata's Yew]

"What do you think, Baccata?" Sophie asks. "Do they feel different now?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Island

Good guess there, Lucas. Your second, as it happens.

A close inspection reveals some clay tablets- not enchanted- stacked at the far end of the decapitated skeleton. There's some writing on them, but it's in quite an archaic script.

Spoiler: Clay Tablets
    Show
    We, Darkehornes že Minotaure, Szesseliž že Lizzardevolk, Melusine že Gorgonne, Salaceas že Trytonne et Azeria že Bearsark do solemnly sweare to keepe žis fowl beaste from terrorising že Lande of že Living.

No Longer shall owr peoples live in feare of žis undying deade thynge. If it escapes že Land of Deaž again, we shalle lykewyse Returne et do Battel with it untill it dyes once more.

8. - Top - End - #68

Memory Woods Hut

"You're the one wearing the amulet, so we'll just have to take your word on that for now," Magtok shrugs. It's hard to resent being so far out of the loop when the cyborg's so acutely aware of how much of a bumbling oaf he can be. He'd keep his distance from Magtok too, if he were her. He and his brother just broke into a hut in the middle of the woods and acted like they were justified in doing so.

Speaking of, the woman who presumably lives in this ugly little hut is asking us a question. Magtok glances at Needs, as if expecting the catfish to somehow have all the answers, before he sighs and finally deigns to answer Feia.

"I'm here because I'm entirely responsible for her plight." Saving the day and playing big cool hero guy would be nice, but the priority is Libitina. None of this would've happened if he hadn't screwed up everything years ago. All for a stupid bank robbery. The skinwalkers can have Inside and everyone in it for all Magtok cares. If he can save Libitina, if he can finally apologize for everything he did wrong, that'll still be good enough to count as a win.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Memory Woods Hut]

Delilah offers no additional counterpoint to Magtok here, instead staring off somewhere to the side with a visibly growing sense of discomfort.
    Which might be an improvement over hostility?

One way or another, it isn't stopping the Feia line of conversation.
    Where that eagerness is also growing.
    "Self-awareness, good. Good. Yes, this is almost entirely your fault, but don't beat yourself up over it too badly. Foolish things happen every day. People die for them, every day."
    Her words seem a bit at odds with the soothing tone she's using, but there really isn't any sense of malice here.
    "What are you willing to do to fix it?"
    Absentee Spirit

10. - Top - End - #70

Memory Woods Hut

This is exactly how it started last time. Feia (well, a different Feia) suggested there was a way to save Libitina, and Magtok, like a fool, took the bait without a second thought. He knew full well he was making a deal with the devil, that there would be consequences and his decision would come back to bite him, but he just shrugged that all off and told himself he'd cross that bridge when he came to it, that he'd just Magtok up a solution and everything would be fine. This is all so terribly familiar, and yet the path forward feels just as clouded and uncertain as before. Where's the right answer, what is he actually meant to do to solve this crisis?

"Most things. The name Magtok will outlive me, and I've rationalized and justified a lot before." Libitina knew us when we were a much worse person than we are now; she'd probably forgive or feel ambivalent towards a lot of wickedness. There's a reason why he said most things, though. There's a limit on how much wickedness Magtok would be willing to commit these days, even if he's not entirely certain what that limit is. He'd be perfectly okay with Inside getting torn apart by skinwalkers, for example, and has been keeping his distance from that city for fear of a 'rogue clone' committing atrocities in his name, but killing Delilah, tearing the secret plans out of her brain, and taking the necklace to a secure vault somewhere? Not really an option. Not unless we get really, really desperate.

As for his name outlasting him, Magtok's actually a lot less comfortable with sacrificing his own life than he used to be. There's no guarantee that the next clone sent down by the MagFleet will find his memory backups or even bother downloading them. If he dies in this body, this Magtok, the real Magtok, is gone. His successor will be just as blind and foolish as he was when he got here, and the Nexus will be doomed.

That's half the reason Venmaunt's orders to kill Needs are so terrifying, actually. Feia considers at least one of the Magtoks a threat. If Venmaunt or Feia 2 are allowed to report back, she'll have indisputable evidence Mag's not just lying on his couch, whining about his problems, but actually leaving the MagCave and doing things to solve them. If she finds out and Affidavit's concerns about her power level are accurate, then what's to stop her from just dropping whatever she's been doing, paying the MagCave a visit, and squashing him like a bug before he's ready to stop her?
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

[Island]

"They died so this guy would stay dead?" Iknika sounds both awed and a little scared. "I don't know if that's more amazingly brave or just creepy."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

Baccata's Yew

"...Yes, they do. And you didn't even transfer some of your life into them. How'd you do that? I'd have thought something like that was impossible. I mean, I could kinda do something similar, but... My thing's longer, more risky and requires me to find a dead person and bring them back." Since she'd need to visit an afterlife, find a soul and convince them to come back and inhabit the wings. Or, more often, a body of leaf litter and other material that Baccata gathers up.

Mind you, there's plenty of souls wanting to come back. The trick's finding one that wouldn't cause more problems in the long run. Baccata doesn't want to accidentally bring back the Riverside Reaper, for example.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

[Island]

Isaac seems fairly disturbed.
    ”Yeah if there’s a chance this guy might stand up I say we leave him be. And his jailers.” he whispers to his companions.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

[Kids and Bear]

"When we were down in the dwarf fortress, Endok and Olon's father told me about a kind of white and pink lizard," Reelshka says. "He said they make good pets."

"A lizard?" Tuskfang's curiosity seems piqued. "There's lots of lizards down in the colony. But they're not pink."

[Baccata's Yew]

"What do you think, Baccata?" Sophie asks. "Do they feel different now?"
    Baccata's Yew

"...Yes, they do. And you didn't even transfer some of your life into them. How'd you do that? I'd have thought something like that was impossible. I mean, I could kinda do something similar, but... My thing's longer, more risky and requires me to find a dead person and bring them back." Since she'd need to visit an afterlife, find a soul and convince them to come back and inhabit the wings. Or, more often, a body of leaf litter and other material that Baccata gathers up.

Mind you, there's plenty of souls wanting to come back. The trick's finding one that wouldn't cause more problems in the long run. Baccata doesn't want to accidentally bring back the Riverside Reaper, for example.
    [Kids and Bear]

(Since I've grown into a man I've disliked lizards slightly less. Can RP them, though )

Asher's also interested and hangs on to Reelshka and Tuskfang's every word. A lizard, and one that's white and pink, both very fun colours! Baby or not he's still from a race of nature celestials, and liking all creatures comes with that territory. "Oooooo, lizard! W-Which type?" He stops and asks, scratching his head. There are many different types of lizards, even though he doesn't know all of their names. "Is it t-the big one t-that flies?"

[Baccata's Yew]

"Like I said, I am a celestial, a cosmic being. You eventually learn to breathe life into your constructs, the wings are alive for as long as I will it. I do not do it willy-nilly, however."
    Ruth explains, adding that last part in case Baccata gets any ideas. She's willing to help as many as she can and improve conditions with her abilities, but she won't abuse it, she's very lawful. "Even in this physical avatar of mine I can do that much. Shall we, as they say, 'get going'?"
    Love is the message.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Memory Woods Hut]

"'Most things,' so you are at least only mostly a fool. Better than most, if you asked my sister."
    It's actually kind of creepy how she can seem so genuinely nice in manner and tone, while saying things like that.

Delilah opens her mouth to speak again, but Feia holds her hand up to stop her.
    "Have you considered that there is an expectation you will rush ahead to save the day, heedless of the consequences as before? That this is accounted for and perhaps desired?"
    The kindness slips a bit, down to a sort of scolding.
    "There has been a lot of brashness lately, I hear, and it is very close to ruining everything. My sister will ascend to her celestial throne and every one of you little mortals, your gods, your dreams, your very reality will be less than dust to be remembered by none."

She frowns and points at Magtok, condemningly.
    "Take the guilt, take that blind need to fix, to be Libitina's shining knight, and tuck it in some dark corner where no one else needs to deal with the consequences of it again."
    Absentee Spirit

16. - Top - End - #76

Memory Woods Hut

Magtok is silent, scowling. He stays that way for a few seconds, only opening his mouth to speak when Needs noisily starts flopping towards him, seemingly dragging himself over to speak on Magtok's behalf and take his place at the (figurative) table.

"Fine. The brash, reckless idiot is buried. Rational Magtok has taken the reins," the cyborg lies, letting go of a tired sigh. They're going to let Libby sacrifice herself, aren't they? All in the name of some grand master plan that isn't even flexible enough to account for the possibility that he might remember Feia mentioning this cabin and head out here to locate her clone sister. A plan so fragile a stiff breeze could knock it over. He's the stupid one? It might or might not be a plan of Libitina's own design, but that changes little. Goddess or not, no plan survives contact with the enemy. The Nexus doesn't run on kismet, there is no fate or destiny preordaining anything, and Feiadyne is going to crush these arrogant schemers like insects if he just steps out of the way and lets them do their thing.

"I'm here, I'm listening, and I'm very politely not goading Venmaunt into a fight or plucking your beating heart out of your chest so Needs can track your sister down like an interdimensional bloodhound. I'm no longer ruining everything," Magtok concedes, even as his eye momentarily drifts towards Venny to judge his reaction to that heart-ripping nonsense. Exactly which Feia matters most to him? This one, that one? Neither at all? Even the smallest scraps of information could be useful when he inevitably turns Needs loose on the half-dragon.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

[Kids and Bear]

"He told me it's the kind of lizard that likes water," Reelshka says. "I'd have to talk to them first and find out more about it."

"It'd be cool to have a water-lizard," Tuskfang says with a big grin. "I'm sure it'd get along with Scout. And Cern and Gwydion's molerat."

[Baccata's Yew]

"Yes, I suppose we're as ready as we'll ever be. Let's go. I'll do the talking while you wait. You might need to come to my aid, but ideally I'll deal with the man myself and you'll come help me clean up," Sophie explains.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Memory Woods Hut]

Venmaunt had been rather unmoving for most of this, quietly standing at a disciplined form of ready. It breaks when Needs moves, so he can stand in a position where he doesn't have to split his attention across the room.
    And to look somewhat abashed, insofar someone with his sinister-dragon-looking head can look abashed. There is no additional hostility from Magtok's commentary about goading him, but there is a tensing his frame somewhat on the murdering Feia part.

"You weren't the only fool, don't feel I'm singling you out."
    She takes a moment to drink some more of her tea, letting the air of condemnation finally slide away. Feia doesn't look like she particularly enjoyed doing that, but that it had to be done.
    "I imagine you dislike every person in this room, save your brother, which doesn't lend itself well towards trust. While I can assure you we are all playing the same side, even my nephew, you are unlikely to take that at face value."
    After all, why should he? The son and copy of a scaly apocalypse, likely scheming in some isolated hut in the middle of the woods? Not really the picture of goodliness.

More tea. A moment of thought.
    "I don't know you well enough to know how to assure you of our intentions. We could answer questions that I'm sure you have, those that we are able. There is no immediate rush on our time, events of immediate consequence are outside our ability to influence at the moment."

And behind her, Delilah promptly goes back from uncomfortable to angry.
    Absentee Spirit

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Baccata's Yew

Baccata's not sure what's meant by 'cosmic being', because in some respects she's one, too. Since she's capable of crossing bodily into various afterlives, so long as there's a yew in it... And every afterlife has a yew in it, or will do as soon as Baccata or another yew dryad transfers somebody into it.

"I''m ready." Baccata will follow Sophie towards Doctor Xeyaal's lab.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

[Kids and Bear]

"He told me it's the kind of lizard that likes water," Reelshka says. "I'd have to talk to them first and find out more about it."

"It'd be cool to have a water-lizard," Tuskfang says with a big grin. "I'm sure it'd get along with Scout. And Cern and Gwydion's molerat."

[Baccata's Yew]

"Yes, I suppose we're as ready as we'll ever be. Let's go. I'll do the talking while you wait. You might need to come to my aid, but ideally I'll deal with the man myself and you'll come help me clean up," Sophie explains.
    Baccata's Yew

Baccata's not sure what's meant by 'cosmic being', because in some respects she's one, too. Since she's capable of crossing bodily into various afterlives, so long as there's a yew in it... And every afterlife has a yew in it, or will do as soon as Baccata or another yew dryad transfers somebody into it.

"I''m ready." Baccata will follow Sophie towards Doctor Xeyaal's lab.
    [Kids and Bear]

"W-We'd all play to-gether, and our p-pets too!" Asher grins as widely, bowing to Reelshka like his momma taught him to. "T-Thank you!" He says, gleaming, happy that their plan worked. "C-Can we see Cern and G-Gwydion soon?" He asks.

[Baccata's Yew]

Ruth nods at Sophie, willing to serve as her coworker wills."Let us go." She states her readiness, following along with Baccata to the doctor's lab.

(Colors test)
    Love is the message.

21. - Top - End - #81

Memory Woods Hut

"Pfft, you, I'm not worried about. You are not your sister. That's what Libby said to you, wasn't it? I know you struck some sort of deal with Libitina, or a favor was asked of you or something. You're in the clear, mostly, provided you can explain what happened that day at some point," Magtok answers, brushing aside Feia's offer to convince him they're all in this together with foolish naivety. Yes, let her think he's already been won over, that the weak-willed cyborg has just given in and accepted his place in their plans. Play the fool, Magtok. It's what everyone's expecting you to do.

"Venny though, he's the one I'm not so sure about right now," Magtok remarks. "He might be stupid and sentimental enough to think Mommy's going to take him with her into the Feiaverse, especially if he successfully impresses upon her his loyalty and usefulness by infiltrating the opposition and rooting out the last few threats to her unholy ascension," the cyborg points out, wiggling a finger in the half-dragon's general direction, before reaching into his robe to produce a can of soda he'd stolen from Faction's minifridge a few weeks ago. He gives it a toss towards the catfish on the floor, who leaps up into the air, distends its ugly mouth, and swallows the entire can whole. Based off of Magtok's entirely nonchalant, indifferent reaction to that bizarre catch, I think that might've been what he expected to happen. He pulls out another can, opens it, and takes a sip.

"That's fine, though. I have a contingency for that. Needs has a spell he's configured to act like a sort of remote explosive. They'd cling to his body and then either fade away after the day is saved, or erupt in fire the moment his betrayal is known to us. Allowing us to slap a few of those on him would go a long way towards putting my fears to rest," Even if everyone vetos it, which is very likely to happen, he's probably going to tell Needs to plant a few spells on the guy anyway. Also, while Magtok technically hasn't lied, his explanation isn't exactly how the spell works. Venmaunt is probably one of those spellsword types anyway, though, definitely not the kind of dedicated mage who'd have any real chance of making heads or tails of his brother's atrociously sloppy spell lattices.

Heck, even Feia herself might have trouble reading the kind of High Arcana Needs produces. Needs once told him, as a point of pride, that when the time came to confront Feia, she would be facing a spell that could not, would not ever be understood. He had added so much superfluous trash to Draken's favorite sorcery, created something so abominable and obscene that it would take years just to find the activation chant, let alone the right thread to pull on to safely dismantle the casting. Anyone who actually dedicated their life to understand the spell would spend most of them locked in a narcotics-induced fugue, just to keep the resulting migraines at a manageable level. It was, his brother bragged, almost as byzantine and grotesque as the Magbot source code.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Memory Woods Hut]

"I think an explanation may benefit you to a degree, certainly..."
    There isn't really much in the way of reluctant here, though she does seem mildly bothered by Magtok's subsequent death spell idea.
    Mistrust and some general hostility is to be expected (particularly after that entrance Needs made to the hut), but something about that just seems a little bit ungainly.
    "Perhaps I'll let me nephew explain his place here and the wrinkle he has presented us with."

Venmaunt hadn't looked terribly bothered by the whole contingency spell threat being placed forward, likely believing himself to be able to sufficiently deal with it that it wasn't worth the trouble. It's the explaining of himself that has him looking significantly less great about things.
    He does comport himself enough to straighten up and get a steeled gaze towards Magtok. A clipped, debriefing style tone is presented as he speaks.
    "Until a few days ago, my mother was dead. I staged the assassination of her second in command and fed her to one of her experiments."
    There is very clearly a lot more to those sentences that he doesn't seem willing to expand on, as he brushes right on past.

"The creature that collected your goddess and ushered in most of this distraction was not her. Or, it shouldn't have been.
    I'm less sure now, after noting a few details that should only be active if she were still breathing."

A glance towards Delilah, and her necklace, and that professional air slips a little more.
    "I don't know how much of what is going on is actually according to some plan, or a protracted madness. To...a degree, I am the direct reason the creatures are running through the city, but I had intended them to be a bread trail towards my late mother's works. Unfortunately, the deviations have grown too extreme to be left to their intended course."
    Absentee Spirit

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

[Kids and Bear]

"I think so. Their mother now helps out in the daycare and spends a lot of time here. So her kids are around more too."

"Yeah! There's Laela and Lucy and Russell and Laurana and Cassie!" Tuskfang rattles off. "And, um..."

"Kissa and Malachi, dear."

"Yeah! They're still little babies."

[Baccata's Yew]

Sophie will lead the others out of the campsite.

24. - Top - End - #84

Memory Woods Hut

Magtok starts off with a frown, moves up to a nasty scowl, and finally arrives at an ugly, childish pout when Venmaunt's done speaking. "Great. Fan-****ing-tastic. So we've got some sort of...timeline crisis, maybe? You've been shunted here from a Nexus that was considerably more successful than our own? Or she's a well-preserved lich?" The cyborg shakes his head, dismissing his theory as quickly as he presented it. No, that's not it. The Nexus never does anything as simple as a mere lich. There's something else going on here, something that probably won't be solved by just pointing more guns at Feia. That means half of our plans and secret weapons are going right out the window until this matter has been definitively resolved.

"Full disclosure, the spell I was talking about was actually Love's Pain. Draken wrote it before the Nexus was established; it induces excruciating pain in the target's most loved individual, and probably would've bypassed most of her defenses. What little intel I had on you said you were working with a parent who was going to wipe out all of reality, so I figured you didn't have any romantic entanglements that would take the spell instead. Gods, it would've been an amazing way to initiate the conflict if you were still on good terms with mother dearest. So thanks," Magtok grumbles, too frustrated to remember that most people aren't okay with being deceived into allowing a dozen or so spells woven into their flesh for the express purpose of torturing their mom half to death. He gulps down the last of his soda and kicking the empty can towards Needs, who promptly swallows this can just as he did the last one. We'll need some other fancy trick for the opening act of our performance, then. Music and fireworks? Antimagic? Swordplay and witty banter? Teleporting her to an abandoned minefield in the middle of nowhere? Hrm...
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

25. - Top - End - #85

[Island]

"Yeah, this isn't the sort of thing we should mess with," Lucas agrees. "If it took a gaggle of warriors to put this guy down, then we don't want to tangle with him. Even if him waking up would bring the other guys back."

Lucas is pretty creeped out by reanimation in general.

It's spooky mojo.

"Maybe we can finish exploring the island, then find someone who can figure out what the magic ring does?"

That sounds like the safest option.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmęre Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

[Island]

"Yeah, this seems way out of our league," Iknika admits. She's not one to back down from a challenge, but there's limits to her boisterousness and this situation has crossed them a while back. "It's weird that no one seems to have seen it before, though. Must be one of those Nexus things."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Island

Alternately, they weren't here at the right time. Since the door's enchanted to only be open for an hour a day. That probably helps keep it hidden.

Also, people who go somewhere looking for adventure are far more likely to find it than those who go to the same place without looking for it.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

[Kids and Bear]

"I think so. Their mother now helps out in the daycare and spends a lot of time here. So her kids are around more too."

"Yeah! There's Laela and Lucy and Russell and Laurana and Cassie!" Tuskfang rattles off. "And, um..."

"Kissa and Malachi, dear."

"Yeah! They're still little babies."

[Baccata's Yew]

Sophie will lead the others out of the campsite.
    [Kids and Bear]

Asher is understandably overjoyed at the news, especially the revelation that there're more babies to admire and play with. "Oooh, oooh, c-can we go now?" He asks, ready to leave all of a sudden. "O-Or are we g-going to pick t-the lizard first?"
    Love is the message.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

[Island]

Isaac nods. He takes one more look around , checking for anything they might have missed before they decide to leave completely.
    ”It was kind of cool to check out at least.”

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

[Kids and Bear]

"They're not here at the moment, I'm afraid," Reelshka says. "And I'm going to have to talk to the dwarves about the lizard first."

"Oooh, you need to meet Endok and Olon!" Tuskfang says. "They're dwarves and they came from underground one day. Mom says the fort was there before I was born."