New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Why would anyone ever make constructs?

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    Um... Animate Dead limits you to creating up to TWICE your caster level in HD, so yes 40 HD undead are creatable. And as its uncapped you can boost your caster level for even more, and of course Desecrate doubles the limit again.
    Look at the original templates for skeletons and zombies form which the dragon versions are based. If you can't animate a purple worm zombie(it be 32HD) why the hell would you be allowed to make a 40HD dragon skeleton?
    Last edited by Lord Vukodlak; 2013-05-11 at 02:52 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

personally, I've made it known to my players that any caster seeking to build up a construct army is going to get major discounts based on the construct at hand.

I think the largest reduction I've ever done was lopping off the last two zero's in the price tag. (I think it was a dread guardian, or something like that... it's a critter out of MMII that has 2 hit die and costs 40,000 to make)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    One of the big selling points for constructs instead of undead is turning. I've only ever seen two ways to turn a construct. Every cleric can take or break your undead.

It is also very, very hard to cherry pick your undead. If you can't find it, you can't have it. Constructs lack this drawback.

You can make homunculi relatively early, and with proper feat investment do it faster and cheaper than other constructs, or upgrade them as you go. You can't upgrade your undead, only replace them.

Siege Crab tank. It should still be floating around these forums someplace. Go take a look.
    Harder to steal with a 2nd level spell too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Threadnaught View Post
    Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to work out the cost of securing the inside of a mountain against teleportation while using teleportation as the primary means of transportation.
    Expedition to undermontain pg. 219?

I mean Halaster teleport cage makes people unable to teleport to it (or away from it) but it works if you teleport from one place to another of the cage.

Alternatively you could create an anchor plane to create a manifest zone, having a trait of teleportation magic not working, if need be create your own plane, to impede the spells/powers that you want.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Making constructs is great!

Provided you have access to the rules that get you the ones that are good bangs for the buck!

Read this:

http://community.wizards.com/go/thre...6/Mechonomicon

And this:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...p?topic=7274.0

You can get some VERY NICE constructs, very cheap, if you pay attention to the two of those threads...

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    Expedition to undermontain pg. 219?

I mean Halaster teleport cage makes people unable to teleport to it (or away from it) but it works if you teleport from one place to another of the cage.

Alternatively you could create an anchor plane to create a manifest zone, having a trait of teleportation magic not working, if need be create your own plane, to impede the spells/powers that you want.
    Nah, I mean using Teleportation Circle for trade and moving around my armies... No, it's totally different to the Tippyverse. It's in a mountain and I'm trying to block all outside teleportation that isn't Wish based, unless it's to the designated TC docks, which will be under heavy guard.

Basically, I'm trying to work out the most cost effective way to creating the most powerful fortress city in a Tippyverse setting... Okay, I like the Tippyverse and I still read it. Tippy try not to look so smug while you're being awesome.

I think constructs would work better in the anti-Tippyverse fortress. They don't need to eat or sleep and aren't reliant on available corpses.
    Besides, the next best thing is a Wight/Wraith-ocalypse, which you'd have to clean up yourself eventually.

7. - Top - End - #37

Kobold

There's a few things you can do...

1.) Anticipate Teleportation, and Greater Anticipate Teleportation
    2.) Custom Lair Wards, a la Draconomicon, but with custom effects
    3.) Building fortresses concurrently in the Ethereal Plane, so they can't use that to get in, and have to go through a fortress
    4.) Making sure that things that burrow through stone can't get through either, and there is no place that is safely outside line of effect (ie, an underground that someone with earthglide could get to, outside the line of effect of all of your teleportation blockers)
    5.) Use Weirdstones, from a faerun book
    6.) Use the options in Stronghold Builder's Guide to make things impervious or solid to teleportation

And even then... this just makes it more difficult to teleport in, not impossible. People could still Wish-teleport in... hence the need to put absolutely everything under guard, a la Tippyverse. So your walls of spell-enhanced iron, your walls of lead, your walls of worked, reinforced stone, your walls of force... it's mostly just deterrence.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2013-05-11 at 07:50 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38

Default Re: Why would anyone NOT make constructs?

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    There's a few things you can do...

1.) Anticipate Teleportation, and Greater Anticipate Teleportation
    2.) Custom Lair Wards, a la Draconomicon, but with custom effects
    3.) Building fortresses concurrently in the Ethereal Plane, so they can't use that to get in, and have to go through a fortress
    4.) Making sure that things that burrow through stone can't get through either, and there is no place that is safely outside line of effect (ie, an underground that someone with earthglide could get to, outside the line of effect of all of your teleportation blockers)
    5.) Use Weirdstones, from a faerun book
    6.) Use the options in Stronghold Builder's Guide to make things impervious or solid to teleportation

And even then... this just makes it more difficult to teleport in, not impossible. People could still Wish-teleport in... hence the need to put absolutely everything under guard, a la Tippyverse.
    It's a fortress in a Tippyverse setting, can't I just create resetting Dimensional Lock traps and spread them everywhere, other than the specific TC Docks?
    It does say "Once dimensional lock is in place, extradimensional travel into or out of the area is not possible". Meaning the only way into or out of the fortress is to either cast Wish, go to one of the specially designated TC Docks, or the old fashioned way, which requires getting past several interlocked gates completely separate to the main complex... But still Dimensional Locked and patrolled by constructs.

Sure it'll be a pain to somehow get all those Solars into a fort which is constantly running out of room to summon them in, but in the end, you'd have the single most powerful location in a Tippyverse setting.
    Walls would have to be made from the strongest possible/available material and lined with a Wall of Force effect to prevent any possible loopholes in the city's defences. Obviously this fort isn't limited to being in a mountain, but since the next best place is still underground...

Several years after the Tippyverse became known, I may have just near conquered a large part of it. Wish is my fortress' only weakness, but assuming adequate patrols and considering the design is a series of tunnels (for the "streets") with rooms leading off them as what passes for buildings, it should be relatively easy to mobilize a force to crush whatever meagre forces Wish can transport into my great fortress... Which needs a name.

I wonder if I could turn the mountain my fortress is in, into a construct. Have my armies attacking the Tippyverse way and the old fashioned way at the same time.

That's so awesome, I have to... Just, I'll be one minute.

There that's better, I had to edit the thread title at the top of my post.

9. - Top - End - #39

Kobold

Yea, Dimensional Lock. Forgot that one, duh.

And Wish overrides all of that.

"Transport travelers. A wish can lift one creature per caster level from anywhere on any plane and place those creatures anywhere else on any plane regardless of local conditions."

Also, every one of those barriers I mentioned?

Is blocked by things which block line of effect.

They can just teleport underground, and burrow/earthglide upwards...

So you Wish a few high level adventurers / other absurdly powerful things, or use LoE shenanigans, to take out one of the anti teleportation projectors, and teleport everyone in the other way...

Also, most of these effects? Are absurdly short ranged, and can't really protect an entire city; they're better for throne rooms and mage's domiciles and vaults and royal courts and such.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2013-05-12 at 04:04 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Did you actually check the spell I pointed out?

11. - Top - End - #41

Kobold

Yes, I checked dimensional Lock. Wish overrides it's capability of teleport block. So you Wish adventurers in, or do it by tunneling underneath the teleport blockers, and they stop the thing which is preventing the army coming through, and then you teleport circle the army in.

It's basically the same as not having the teleport blockers at all. What is REALLY preventing people from coming in... is really the monsters and densely packed, absurdly powerful defenders as it always was the case in the Tippyverse.

Edit: oh, thethird, holdon... And Wish should still override it. It might be Epic magic though, cause Halastar...

*Checks* Noope! Doesn't say anything about Wish. Wish defeats it, both going in and out!
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2013-05-12 at 04:24 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

there is no way of defeating wish teleport.

You could technically make it a dead magic area, but they will still be able to teleport to it via wish.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Little point about raising dragon skeletons and zombies, nowhere in either template does it cay "as the skeleton/zombie template except where different" point 2 is that the sample skeleton dragon is 22HD, since there is no solid ruling against it and the only evidence suggests that there is no such limit id rule your only limit is your casting of plague of undeath (cause who's casting animate dead at this point really?)

14. - Top - End - #44

Did you actually check the spell I pointed out?
    I don't actually have that source.

Yea, Dimensional Lock. Forgot that one, duh.

And Wish overrides all of that.
    there is no way of defeating wish teleport.
    I do remember pointing out Wish as being one of the ways of entering the city. Earthglide and Incorporealness wouldn't help if the walls and gates are all augmented with a Wall of Force effect. Well when I say "gates" portcullises are harder to get through without the proper clearance.

I have no plans for attempting some futile battle against Wish based teleport. Greater Teleport and the TCs of all other Tippyverse cities allow more controlled access to the city and of course, there is the standard way inside the mountain. Through at least four portcullises, while potentially being fired on the whole time.

I'm far more interested in what a mountain large enough to contain southern Manhattan, would look like as a Construct. The city itself would indeed cost a few million and would have to include one of those marvellous Ring of Three Wishes Traps right in the middle. Yeah, surrounded by the entire military and possibly alarmed if any creature other than the Supreme Commander of the... Walking Mountain Fort needs a catchy name... And the Vault Guard (a bunch of Constructs who protect the RoTWT and set off the DLT) enters the room.

Anyone have any idea what kind of stats a Mountain Construct would have? What about the GP cost?
    Threadnaught wants his mountain to crap out Shadesteel Golems and Warforged while being a credible threat on it's own... As well as a name for it, gotta be something people would fear when they hear it whispered in hushed voices.
    Last edited by Threadnaught; 2013-05-12 at 07:11 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

I do remember pointing out Wish as being one of the ways of entering the city. Earthglide and Incorporealness wouldn't help if the walls and gates are all augmented with a Wall of Force effect. Well when I say "gates" portcullises are harder to get through without the proper clearance.
    Couldn't they just Disintegrate (or if you want to get fancy, Sphere of Annihilation) a small section of the walls after gliding/burrowing their way to the edge of it?

16. - Top - End - #46

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Shovah View Post
    Couldn't they just Disintegrate (or if you want to get fancy, Sphere of Annihilation) a small section of the walls after gliding/burrowing their way to the edge of it?
    This... there's really no way to prevent a properly-equipped team of adventurers from getting in... even if they don't have access to Wish teleportation...

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Shovah View Post
    In D&D you can always get in. The level of difficulty and how involved the process is might vary but you can always get in (Wish if nothing else, even though you can usually get around the need for Wish).
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

18. - Top - End - #48

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    In D&D you can always get in. The level of difficulty and how involved the process is might vary but you can always get in (Wish if nothing else, even though you can usually get around the need for Wish).
    Care to give us more details of some other processes we might not have mentioned, without escalating up to Wish-entry?

19. - Top - End - #49

Care to give us more details of some other processes we might not have mentioned, without escalating up to Wish-entry?
    Well first is to convince (bribe, magic, diplomacy, etc.) someone that is authorized to come in to take you with them.

For example, take a cloak or shirt and sew a portable hole with the party inside of it inside of the cloak or shirt and then hit the thing with magic aura to make it show as non magical. That will get you past most security. Also building people into shipping crates or even money. Or using Smokey Confinement to put them in stasis inside crystal vials and then stuffing the vial up your ass (or dropping it into a container filled with liquid of various kinds, when is the last time the guards popped open your parties beer bottles to see what was inside of them).

Sneak in a Ring Gate, a Weirdstone might block it (I can't remember) but nothing else does.

Come in from under ground/ethereal/the plane of shadow (although good security will block all of those). One trick is to use Xorn Movement or some other way to move through the ground on the Ethereal Plane, the common way to block ethereal movement is to put some object physically on the ethereal plane in the location in question.

If they use force effects to block entrance then go ethereal and just teleport past the wall of force on the ethereal plane. Most people forget that they also need to drop a weirdstone on the ethereal plane if they want to stop teleportation there. This can let you spy but if a weird stone is up then it won't let you back into the material plane inside the fortress though.

Another way to bypass force effects is to shapechange into a wyrmling force dragon, and then you can just pass right through all force effects without any issue.

Use a Ring of Invisibility, have Mind Blank up, and then use Gaseous Form. You might also want to be shapechanged into a wyrmling force dragon and have cast Xorn Movement so that you can pass right through force effects and float through the ground as well.

Polymorph Any Object twice into, say, a shirt which triggers a Magic Aura Craft Contingent Spell that makes you look nonmagical with a Craft Contingent Break Enchantment set to trigger say twenty minutes after the shirt passes through a Teleportation Circle and then just have some random peasant or merchant that enters the city where the shirt.

Use Teleport Through Time to jump back to before the location was built/shielded and get in the location you want to arrive in before using Wish or Reality Revision (one that is XP free) to Wish up a Drilbu of Time Hop, Mass with a ML equal to the number of days that you want to move forward in time times 24. You pop back into existence bypassing all defense. Honestly just Wishing yourself in tends to be easier and cheaper but this can have advantages on occasion (especially for bypassing Contact Other Planes divination and the like where questions like "Will any entity use Wish to transport something into the city without authorization?").

You can also Teleport Through Time and then create a Craft Contingent Prismatic Sphere set to trigger at the chosen time before putting yourself in stasis until you are back in the correct time period and then just using Teleport or Greater Teleport to pop yourself into your Prismatic Sphere.

There is also traveling far into the future, to after the defenses are non existent, and then using Teleport Through Time to jump back to when you want to arrive (although this can be quite imprecise).

This isn't an inclusive list, its just some of the potential methods. Mostly focusing on the ways to bypass the defenses and not use force to create weaknesses.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Bugbear in the Playground

I really wish the Dragon skeleton full attack block actually said "Like eight attacks."
    Former Ghosts?

21. - Top - End - #51

Kobold

*snip of a bunch of awesome tactics*

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't actually have that source.
    It is also printed in city of splendors waterdeep (which has some of my favorite spells by the way)

*snip*
    Anchor plane (dead magic area) would defeat all the magic entry methods

Intensify manifest zone or make overlaping anchor planes with limited magic to disallow the ways of bypassing a dead magic area and that would greatly reduce the ways of bypassing it.
    Last edited by thethird; 2013-05-13 at 03:16 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53

Except Wish.

Yep, he most certainly does.

Charlie Sheen saw the Tippyverse just before his breakdown, during his breakdown he thought he was Emperor Tippy.

Come in from under ground/ethereal/the plane of shadow (although good security will block all of those). One trick is to use Xorn Movement or some other way to move through the ground on the Ethereal Plane, the common way to block ethereal movement is to put some object physically on the ethereal plane in the location in question.
    A nice bunch of ways in, including two I'd already alluded to, but this one is one I find more interesting as I may have already countered much of it.

The city is in a mountain purely to make it more difficult to fly into the middle, it is mostly a series of tunnels as I've stated from the beginning, with the entrance from the outside in the form of those specialized gatehouses.
    Every single wall and portcullis would have to be made from Adamantine or Obdurium if available, augmented with Wall of Force to prevent Incorporeal abuse. Now, the Ethereal Plane is a very interesting way to get around my defences, you mention the possibility of putting some anti-teleportation measure there, but if my fortress city were in a mountain construct, would the Weirdstone move on the Ethereal plane relative to my city on the Material plane?
    And if I use a Weirdstone on the Ethereal plane, how can I be sure it won't interfere with my TC Docks on the Material plane?
    Last edited by Threadnaught; 2013-05-13 at 11:56 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54

A nice bunch of ways in, including two I'd already alluded to, but this one is one I find more interesting as I may have already countered much of it.

The city is in a mountain purely to make it more difficult to fly into the middle, it is mostly a series of tunnels as I've stated from the beginning, with the entrance from the outside in the form of those specialized gatehouses.
    Every single wall and portcullis would have to be made from Adamantine or Obdurium if available, augmented with Wall of Force to prevent Incorporeal abuse.
    Shapechange into a Wyrmling Force Dragon and cast Ghost Form, you can walk right through all of the defenses.

Now, the Ethereal Plane is a very interesting way to get around my defences, you mention the possibility of putting some anti-teleportation measure there, but if my fortress city were in a mountain construct, would the Weirdstone move on the Ethereal plane relative to my city on the Material plane?
    And if I use a Weirdstone on the Ethereal plane, how can I be sure it won't interfere with my TC Docks on the Material plane?
    No, you need a Weirdstone on both the Etheral and Material planes if you want to shut down teleportation in the area on both.

Not really. Besides the fact that it only has a radius of 150 feet, you can also use Planar Bubble or Planar Pocket to ignore the Anchor Plane effects. And there is always Wish.

Intensify manifest zone or make overlaping anchor planes with limited magic to disallow the ways of bypassing a dead magic area and that would greatly reduce the ways of bypassing it.
    Not really, there are a number of ways to overcome both and Anchor Plane in general.
    Last edited by Emperor Tippy; 2013-05-13 at 11:26 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

25. - Top - End - #55
    Colossus in the Playground

At this point, I'm wondering why anyone is building anywhere that's coterminous with the ethereal plane. If you have that kind of resources, just go to the outer planes, or the astral. The deep ethereal should be another option, if your DM includes it.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2013-05-13 at 11:59 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

26. - Top - End - #56

Shapechange into a Wyrmling Force Dragon and cast Ghost Form, you can walk right through all of the defenses.
    Exactly, part of a combo, otherwise Incorporeal only gets you so far.

No, you need a Weirdstone on both the Etheral and Material planes if you want to shut down teleportation in the area on both.
    Yay, I'll have to build two of these damn things, one with Weird Stones on the Etherial Plane, the other in the Material Plane without them... Effectively doubling the cost making any potential construct required to have a double and somehow mind linked so they're both in exactly the same place at once.

Right, so apparently the city of New York has 24800 feet of land between Battery Park and Central Park. A creature of that size would apparently be Macro Huge, falling between 16384 and 32768 feet. Let's make the Construct my city is in Macro Gargantuan 32768-65536 feet, by doubling the size so it doesn't have to shuffle the city around when it moves. No randomly contracting streets or twisting hallways for me thank you.
    So my city is in a creature roughly 50000 feet in size, I'm probably better off having it as an artificial island.
    Or a Space Station, if I can manage to make it airtight.

Why would it have to be a Construct if it's a Space Station? What if someone else tries building a Space Station? What if I got it to throw Macro-Huge Spears of Uranium at the planet, like some sort of orbital nuclear weapons platform?
    Tippy, is this thing possible?

27. - Top - End - #57

Yay, I'll have to build two of these damn things, one with Weird Stones on the Etherial Plane, the other in the Material Plane without them... Effectively doubling the cost making any potential construct required to have a double and somehow mind linked so they're both in exactly the same place at once.
    You don't need to make two. You just need to get a Mage's Lubrication trap and then cast tons of Walls of Stone to basically make it a giant stone block on the ethereal plane where your city would be and just dump a Weirdstone in the middle of that. Then use Wish to create a really high CL scroll of Animate Objects followed by Shapechanging into a Lilitu and using it to animate the giant stone block and then make that permanent (ideally cast by someone with Tenacious Magic: Permanency).

Why would it have to be a Construct if it's a Space Station? What if someone else tries building a Space Station? What if I got it to throw Macro-Huge Spears of Uranium at the planet, like some sort of orbital nuclear weapons platform?
    Tippy, is this thing possible?
    Yes.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t=86964&page=5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97476
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86843
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

28. - Top - End - #58

Kobold

I'm kinda upset that you didn't put me in your sig yet, tippy!

29. - Top - End - #59

I'm kinda upset that you didn't put me in your sig yet, tippy!
    There you go, I had stopped adding people a while ago because the list was getting too large.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

30. - Top - End - #60

SamuraiGuy

To OP:
    1) Aesthetics. The Undead tend to be ugly and smelly.
    2) Undead have been around (in the D&D Universe) longer than constructs, there are more ways to beat them, starting with a class feature of a core class (clerical turn / rebuke)
    3) Ethics. A LG Wizard does not have the option of Undead, or for that matter Flesh Golems.
    4) Availability of raw materials / craftsmen. If you have skilled artificers in your employ because you are Uber Wizard Wizardopolus, you can have them spend some of their time making constructs. If on the other hand you have necromancer employees you can have them make undead for you.
    5) Sometimes, you just have to go with what's cool. And different wizards will have different opinions