New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Default What foods do you really hate?

Today I was reading an article about fruit salad and realized the horrors of putting those round red tomatoes in them (Roma?).

Also, seafood. Especially shrimp. I don't know what the taste of fish and other seafood is called (the very strong, 'fresh' flavor) but it absolutely makes me want to gag each time I have to eat it. Crab is okay.

And mushrooms. They taste and chew like rubber, and it feels grossly slimey on the tongue.

What are your food anathemas?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What foods do you really hate?

Something that I guess is sort of weird is that I don't like grapes. I never have. It also never stops surprising people like my parents or my sister. Y'know, in the vein of, "What? You don't like grapes? When did this happen?"

I also don't like ranch dressing, though I guess that's more of a condiment.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mayo, sour cream, cream cheese, hummus, chickpeas, sweat pickles, ranch, ranch flavored *anything*, grapefruit, pears (flavor's alright, texture isn't), wine, Alfredo sauce, cream sauce, amaretto, aioli, German potato salad, most olive varieties, and probably a few things I haven't remembered.

Mostly it breaks down into:
    Sour things, especially if it tastes like spoiled milk
    Fiberglass texture (pears, chickpeas, hummus)
    Creamy texture (except sweets)
    Last edited by Stattick; 2020-06-20 at 05:48 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Liver. I can't really eat Liver anything, except some strongly flavoured Patés. But fried liver makes me gag and liver sausages of any kind are worse. And I will absolutely taste one small liver out of an entire stew.

Also, pumpkin of any kind. Pumpkin soup, especially.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2020-06-20 at 06:11 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Brussels sprouts, lima beans, raisins, turnips, zucchini/summer squash...

I don't want to say my palate has grown since I was younger, but I've learned to appreciate some foods a lot better once they're actually prepared correctly. Liver -- my parents cooked that down to the consistency of shoe leather and never bothered to clean it beforehand. However, I've learned to cook it to the right temperature and soak it in either milk or wine before I prep it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Today I was reading an article about fruit salad and realized the horrors of putting those round red tomatoes in them (Roma?).

Also, seafood. Especially shrimp. I don't know what the taste of fish and other seafood is called (the very strong, 'fresh' flavor) but it absolutely makes me want to gag each time I have to eat it. Crab is okay.

And mushrooms. They taste and chew like rubber, and it feels grossly slimey on the tongue.

What are your food anathemas?
    Tomatoes, seafood, and mushrooms? You are the anti-Peelee, I declare!

Anyway. Sour cream. It tastes like nothing, which has somehow gone bad. Peanut butter is horrid. Mint is decidedly unenjoyable. I know there are others, but those three always seem to rise to the top.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

My friends have categorized my distaste as "white foods except cheese".
    Sour cream, cream cheese, mayonnaise, ranch dressing or flavored stuff (although sometimes things like chips are tolerable, if other things cancel out the taste), creamy sauces.

When I worked at a Mexican eatery, sour cream was what I called "nausea incarnate". Everything from putting it into our container, to putting it on food, to the smell was just gross. A little sour cream ruins most anything for me. I can tolerate some desserts or pastries with cream cheese if it's small enough, but cheesecake tastes bad to me unless the chocolate (or whatever) is so strong it overwhelms the taste of the cream cheese. In recent years, I can tolerate some mayo on a hamburger, but I still tend to open it and scrap off what I can.

I have learned that I like real crema, which is a Mexican condiment (?) akin to sour cream. But most Mexican places around here mean sour cream when they say crema.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Anchovies. Everything else I dislike I can stomach with some effort but not those *****.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Tomatoes and fish are two that come to mind. Also, while I like both sweet foods and salty foods, those two flavors absolutely do not belong together.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Tomatoes are not food. They are a larval form of pre-food, which, with proper processing can become a variety of delicious sauces.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

there is quite a list. And when I dislike these...these tend to cause physical retching or pain.

Olives,
    Peppers (Chili, Bell, jalapeño, any and all they all ruin any food they touch in my opinion...and yes I mean touch I can taste that contact and nothing else if it happens)
    Pickles
    Curry leaf
    Cinnamon
    Cilantro in any amount
    Greek Yogurt
    Some Kimchi
    Licorice
    Anise
    Tequila

Just dislike:

Peanut butter
    Sour Cream
    Summer Squash
    Most any amount of cardamon or Tumeric (but can handle very small amounts)
    Most other kinds of Kimchi
    Certain types of semi-salted herring (red salting for example) ...like a good kipper but yikes!
    Banana
    Cheese-wizz and similar concoctions
    Last edited by sktarq; 2020-06-20 at 01:14 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure there's anything; the line for how good an ingredient/dish has to be before I like it varies but I seem to like basically everything if it's well made or picked enough. Which often isn't that well made at all; I'll eat a deeply dubious burrito because I adore burritos.

That said, apples come closest. I wouldn't say I really hate them, but I will say that every single thing an apple can do a pear can go better. Especially pie, apple pie is the worst pie and replacing all the apples with pears makes it way better.

A similar thing applies to oranges and grapefruit. Still, I wouldn't say I hate apples or oranges, just that I find them obsolete.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Tomatoes are not food. They are a larval form of pre-food, which, with proper processing can become a variety of delicious sauces.
    You take that back.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    You take that back.
    You don't think the sauces are delicious? And you call yourself French....

I kid, I love me some tomatoes. Roma, beefsteak, cherry... oh, cherry tomatoes, you are the perfect snack, especially when you have a good crunch.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Peanut butter is super fabulous. Mint is decidedly totally enjoyable. I know there are others, but those always seem to rise to the top.
    FTFY.

onions are the devil incarnate btw. i will pick dehydrated onions out of white rice one grain at a time and send them to the pit of despair.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lots of people have already said it, but I'll say it again; raw tomatoes are the bane of my existence. Sensory issues are bad enough for squishy things with liquid in them, but a raw tomato is just a fruit that's out to get you. It's completely nonsensical, but my brain just rejects them. I love 'em in literally any other form - soup, as a sauce for pizza or pasta, red pesto, even dried tomatoes are good - but when they're just slimy nasty little things . . . Urg. The smell of them is almost as bad, and it just sticks on anything you touch them off. I often make sandwiches for other people alongside mine, and raw tomatoes are things that people, validly yet terrifyingly, like in sandwiches so I have to play a fun game of 'Have I made everything I'm going to be eating?' before I break out the tomatoes. It doesn't help that where I live gets pretty terrible ones. Watery, tasteless things.

(Also, mayo. Those ready-made sandwiches in packets you can get from shops that you only realise have a thin layer of mayo instead of butter after you've opened them? Banned. Cancelled.)
    I draw, and I write sometimes! Drow paladin avatar by me. They/Them

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Tomatoes are one of my happy foods

I have two major food gripes: beansprouts and walnuts. There's other foods I'd rather not eat, but those two I loathe.

Beansprouts taste of nothing. I've heard people claim they taste of water, but no, decent water has more taste (due to all those delicious minerals), I literally cannot taste anything in beansprouts. And there is nothing worse than eating a food without delicious flavour, but people always but them into delicious Chinese food as if diluting the flavour is a good thing?

Like, I've heard people complain about dofu/tofu, but at least it does taste of something on it's own. You make Mapo Dofu because the burning sensation on your tongue enhances your ability to taste tofu (and I love the taste of tofu*).

As for Walnuts, there's just something about the taste and texture I loathe, except when served alongside coffee in a cake. Coffee just manages to alter the walnut taste enough to result in delicious cake times instead of horrible nutty distustingness.

* My sister has pointed out it's weird that I'm not vegetarian, because I adore it so much.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I consider myself a fairly unpicky eater, but zucchini and all types of squash cause a visceral projectile reaction from me.

As for things I just dislike, but don't make me violently ill...I know there's a few niche dishes I don't like and stuff, of course; it's hard to account for the mixing of flavors. But the only other two "I really don't want to eat those in any form" foods I can think of are eggplants (or aubergines, for the Brits on the site) and tamarind; I hear it's an acquired taste, but after years of trying I've never managed to "acquire it", so it's safe to say I never will.

For non-flavor reasons, whole crabs. I've always had a thing, since I was a kid, about getting my fingers too messy when I eat. I've mostly overcome that with time and effort; I'll eat sloppy joes and lick sauces from ribs and wings off my fingers happily these days. But there's something about whole crabs that give me a minor panic attack. I can eat just the legs just fine.

Peanut butter is horrid.
    Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    Just dislike:
    Peanut butter
    HERETICS! =p
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2020-06-20 at 04:10 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    But the only other two "I really don't want to eat those in any form" foods I can think of are eggplants (or aubergines, for the Brits on the site) and tamarind; I hear it's an acquired taste, but after years of trying I've never managed to "acquire it", so it's safe to say I never will.
    Stupid question, are you salting them before cooking? Because I know people who claim to not like aubergine, and most of them didn't salt it before cooking.

If you do carry on! There is nothing wrong with disliking any food!

Except for tomatoes. They are best food.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know if there are any foods that I hate, but I don't like melons, any kind of cooked fruit, coffee and alcoholic beverages.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post

Like, I've heard people complain about dofu/tofu, but at least it does taste of something on it's own. You make Mapo Dofu because the burning sensation on your tongue enhances your ability to taste tofu (and I love the taste of tofu*).
    For years, my husband HATED tofu. Thought it was tasteless, bland and mushy. Fast-forward to 2019 and husband decided to become a pescatarian. Only he doesn't actually LIKE a lot of different fishes, so it fell upon me to experiment with tofu. Now...now he's a convert (not to everything -- he still hates miso soup). I do a pretty good ****ake mapo tofu if I do say so myself.

(As for beansprouts, I'm a sucker for the version they have in Korean banchan with sesame oil)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Stupid question, are you salting them before cooking? Because I know people who claim to not like aubergine, and most of them didn't salt it before cooking.

Yeah, I've had it a ton of different ways. The closest I've come to liking it is with eggplant parmesan, but that was because tomato sauce and cheese taste good. Mostly I just don't think eggplant tastes like much of anything at all, is why I don't like it.

23. - Top - End - #23

Hear hear!

Also, onions when cooked in things. Like, I hate the taste of vinegar, but I love how vinegar changed the taste of things in cooking. Same with onions (airgun I love raw onions as well)
    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    I don't know if there are any foods that I hate, but I don't like melons, any kind of cooked fruit, coffee and alcoholic beverages.
    Oh, that reminds me. Coffee. Hard pass on that. Also, most melons except water. That one can stick around.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

I have two major food gripes: beansprouts and walnuts. There's other foods I'd rather not eat, but those two I loathe.

As for Walnuts, there's just something about the taste and texture I loathe, except when served alongside coffee in a cake. Coffee just manages to alter the walnut taste enough to result in delicious cake times instead of horrible nutty distustingness.
    But...walnuts are so good...and crunchy...and again, really good...

Anyhow,

I forgot to put pickles on my list. The flavor of pickles has absolutely zero appeal.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Also, onions when cooked in things. Like, I hate the taste of vinegar, but I love how vinegar changed the taste of things in cooking. Same with onions (airgun I love raw onions as well)
    Oh, that reminds me. Coffee. Hard pass on that. Also, most melons except water. That one can stick around.
    That is because you drink coffee not eat it....and thus skipped the mind.

Also I totally agree with you on coffee.....keep it at least 2 m away from thankyou....yeah I just don't even think of it as a no thanx part of my life because it has just been that way for so long.

as for vinegar I love the stuff, have a collection of flavored drinking vinegars (shrubs) in with my booze shelf. . . I highly recommend you explore that fun little corner of the culinary world (cut with club soda to taste, add to sauces/marinades, or make wonderful cocktails)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

{scrubbed} mayonnaise. And most commercial/store bought mustards. toss in relish and store bought pickles too.

I'm open to many foods, but there's a reason I don't go to many specialty burger places.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-06-20 at 08:26 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Oh man, I love specialty burger places. Mostly because some (which I consider the better ones) will allow "rare" as one of their cook-to-order options. And, as much as I like a rare steak, a rare hamburger somehow transcends that. It's a magical thing.

I am well aware of the health risks, before anyone jumps on that.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

There's two common flavors that I cannot stand: cherry and mint. The latter is actually particularly annoying, not because of food, but because it forces me to be picky about toothpastes, since so many of those are mint-flavor by default.

Also, turkey - though it's not so much that I dislike it, as that it has no taste to me whatsoever. It's like I'm just chewing on a vaguely meat-ish texture, but tasting nothing at all. I like most meat, but turkey may as well not exist.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    There's two common flavors that I cannot stand: cherry and mint. The latter is actually particularly annoying, not because of food, but because it forces me to be picky about toothpastes, since so many of those are mint-flavor by default.

Also, turkey - though it's not so much that I dislike it, as that it has no taste to me whatsoever. It's like I'm just chewing on a vaguely meat-ish texture, but tasting nothing at all. I like most meat, but turkey may as well not exist.
    Turkey is a lot like egg whites. The leaner the more egg whiteish is becomes, by 99% lean it is almost indistinguishable. Cooking is similar, texture, the flavor...

I guess protein tastes like protein!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Would you like to know how angry I still am at Crest discontinuing their Citrus Splash toothpaste line?

Hint: it's is a lengthy string of superlatives and expletives.