New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default BBCode Syntax Highlighter for KDE

Disclaimer: This is not RP stuff, this is stuff to make it easier to write+post RP stuff. And for those of you not on Linux, it is all useless.
    When I homebrew, I routinely make posts that are too complicated format-wise for the forum editor to handle decently. I usually create these posts as plain text files, to give me a more powerful working environment, and then copy them into the forum window. I am sure many people here do similar things, which is why I posted this here.

One thing I have missed from real markup languages, however, is syntax highlighting. So I wrote some for my editor of choice, Kate. Now, I doubt many of you are on Linux, and many of those who do are probably not using KDE, and many of those are probably not even using Kate, but I made it, so I might as well share it.

Here it is. It is an .xml file, containing the highlighting instructions. Again, this works for the Kate editor only.

To use it, do the following:
    • Download the .xml file, above.
    • Place it in Kate's "syntax" directory. On my system, this is the /usr/share/kde4/apps/katepart/syntax/ directory. You may need root privileges.
    • Give the file that stores your post a file name extension of ".bbcode".
    • Open the file with Kate.

If everything worked, the file should have changed from looking like this to looking like this. I, for one, think the latter is much easier to work with.

As for those of you on other operating systems, sorry for wasting your time.
    Last edited by Ernir; 2012-05-16 at 08:37 PM.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: BBCode Syntax Highlighter for KDE

You can save that to ~/.kde/share/apps/katepart/syntax instead so you don't need root privileges.
    Exception cannot prove the rule. It disproves it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: BBCode Syntax Highlighter for KDE

Quote Originally Posted by Tenno Seremel View Post
    You can save that to ~/.kde/share/apps/katepart/syntax instead so you don't need root privileges.
    Great point. No reason to do it system-wide if you don't have to.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.