New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 13.5: Recap Episode

I believe I was just thread ninja'd (in a way. I posted when the new thread was created).
    Well, I have a question that I forgot to ask previously, but I guess I'll ask it here now. How often do arcs between anime and manga match up. Could you read the first arc in the manga and watch the second in the anime? How often can you do that successfully?
    (I realize it would be skipping episode 14, but the title might be better as 14.5, not 13.5.)
    Edit: Read your post in the other thread, but wouldn't having episode 14 next set the thread number back one? I guess it could work out...
    Last edited by Duck999; 2014-10-18 at 04:33 PM.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Cont. from the last thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Yes.
    Spoiler: Spoilers!
    Show
    So they are adopted siblings. I'm still amazed it isn't revealed in the original fate/stay night. You also (kind of) learn that shirou is kiritsugu's adopted son at the end of fate zero.
    Spoiler: Fate/Zero
    Show

. . .
    It is revealed in the Fate/stay night VN. It is not mentioned in DEEN's adaption because DEEN's adaption only adapts the first 1/3 of the VN, and that fact is a major twist/spoiler used in the later 2/3s of the VN . . . The later 2/3s of the VN that are getting adapted right now by ufotable

Its stuff like this this that makes statements like
    I watched fate zero before watching (what I believe is) the original fate/stay night. It did spoil some twists, but not as many as fate/stay night spoils for fate zero.
    completely ridiculous. You have no idea just how badly Fate/Zero spoils things for F/SN because more than half of F/SN doesn't currently have a good adaption.

EDIT: Adding this from the end of the last thread so it doesn't get missed:
    Also, IMO, F/SN can't "spoil" things for Fate/Zero anymore than the main OotS comics can spoil Start of Darkness or On the Origin of PCs. Prequels are designed to be read at the point they're published, not before the main work in some kind of screwy chronological order.
    Last edited by mallorean_thug; 2014-10-18 at 04:42 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I believe I was just thread ninja'd (in a way. I posted when the new thread was created).
    Well, I have a question that I forgot to ask previously, but I guess I'll ask it here now. How often do arcs between anime and manga match up. Could you read the first arc in the manga and watch the second in the anime? How often can you do that successfully?
    (I realize it would be skipping episode 14, but the title might be better as 14.5, not 13.5.)
    Edit: Read your post in the other thread, but wouldn't having episode 14 next set the thread number back one? I guess it could work out...
    Nah, it just depends on whether you consider the first thread episode 1 or episode 0.

It depends mostly on how faithful the adaptation is, but if the manga is plotted tightly enough to have well-defined story arcs, I'd say chances are good the adaptation will include the same arcs. If there's a lot of filler in the anime, or alternately the manga was a bit sparse on content to begin with and the adaptation expanded on it naturally, switching back and forth might be a bit jarring.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2014-10-18 at 04:45 PM.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I don't think a reliable rule of thumb exists for adaptations, it's a per-work decision. For instance, FMA: Brotherhood is a very tight, precise adaptation of the manga. You could most definitely go between the two with ease. Bleach is...not so much.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

On the FSN/FZ viewing order: just pick whichever you'd rather. According the talk before it launched, the current series was at least in part made with the (not unreasonable) assumption that it would be following on from Zero for a good chunk of its audience in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sallera View Post
    Pretty sure Recap Episode had more votes, so I went with 13.5 for the number in order to allow us Second Cour next time. Compromise! :3
    That's a dangerously reasonably attitude to take on the internet

At this rate, I'll have to expand on what I disliked about Madoka's ending just to get things back to normal.
    Or just post the 'worst' list of the 'stuff I saw in the last six months'*.

*I'm not going to do this.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

So Gundam G-Reco is weird. Like... really really weird. Everyone acting completely nonsensically, the plot is incomprehensible, and it doesn't help that the character designs are a weird hybrid of Eureka 7 and Gundam's 80s original designs.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HamHam View Post
    So Gundam G-Reco is weird. Like... really really weird. Everyone acting completely nonsensically, the plot is incomprehensible, and it doesn't help that the character designs are a weird hybrid of Eureka 7 and Gundam's 80s original designs.
    I'm told this is one of Tomino's most consistent traits as an author.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Tomino has a very specific storytelling style, where the plot and the setting are often shown by things happening in the background, or in blink-and-you-miss-it moments, and rarely spelled out aloud. Also, his characters rarely explain their motivations, and often preach one thing and practice another, or otherwise act in ways inconsistent with their beliefs, but consistent with their personalities - like real people. He also likes to build stuff long-term, both in terms of setting and characters - you only get scraps of information in every episode, and only amassing enough scraps lets you see the bigger picture.

Combine all of the above with the fact that Tomino seems to be an alien who's very good at noticing how people act but very bad at understanding why they act that way, and you get an extremely weird writing style that can be hard to pierce by people not used to it. But you get used to it eventually.

As for the characters designs, I suggest the G-Reco drinking game: each time you see a widely open, irregularily-shaped mouth, take a shot.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Recently I finished Deadman Wonderland (the anime).
    Spoiler: Rant
    Show
    I don't think I've ever been so mad at an ending in my life. Ganta kills elite goon Genkaku, and season ends. What? I get that killing Genkaku needed to be a thing, but it's not like he runs Deadman Wonderland. Killing him doesn't really change a whole lot.

Not to mention the ending scene where Shiro and Ganta are on a roof. I'm not sure if that scene meant they were free or not. Then he draws a connection between Shiro and the Wretched Egg, and nothing happens. It almost felt like the scene was just reminding you that his new best friend killed his old ones. I wouldn't have minded if they had done something with it, but the creators just sort of said "Hey that was a thing!"

The entire ending left me feeling like I had three quarters of a jigsaw puzzle. So netflix said "Hey want to watch episode 13?" and my brain said back "Yeah they should answer some unresolved questions". NOPE! It was an entire pointless episode of backstory on a side character.

Suffice it to say that I did not like episode 12 or 13.

So any good anime that someone could recommend to me?
    Grand avatar by the grand Oneris.
    Spoiler: Awesome Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Oh no! My evil plot to talk about elfgames and my having of an unacceptable opinion has been uncovered!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Play nice, boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    The Warden communicates through a complicated language of subtle body movements and flatulence. With a single flutter of their eyelashes and a well-timed fart, the Warden can recite a 16-stanza poem about nugs.
    Devout Omnian in the playground

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I recommend Code Geass if you haven't seen it.
    Also, i am currently watching Irregular at Magic Highschool, which is good.
    I am also watching Akame Ga Kill which is very good.
    I recommend any of those if you haven't seen them.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Deadman Wonderland is rather infamous for 'ending' at around the halfway point (the manga carried on for another two years), then never got another season as it wasn't deemed successful enough.
    Same thing happened to its contemporary Kamisama Dolls, but no one really cared because it's Kamisama Dolls.

Quote Originally Posted by StabbityRabbit View Post
    So any good anime that someone could recommend to me?
    Time to dust-off the 'less-popular good stuff on crunchyroll' list...
    Blast of Tempest
    Erin
    The Eccentric Family
    From the New World
    Kids on the Slope
    Natsume Yujin-cho

Also since the new series starts in February, now might be a good time to watch Durarara if you haven't already seen it.
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2014-10-19 at 02:32 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Also since the new series starts in February, now might be a good time to watch Durara if you haven't already seen it.
    Also, Baccano!, which is not explicitly tied to Durarara!! for the most part, but is by the same author, has exactly one exclamation point less, and has some shoutouts in Durarara!!.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah yes. I am also watching from the new world. Pretty good. Durarara is good.

Does anyone know when the fourth season of durarara ends? I assume it is late next year. And there is going to be a fifth in 2016, right?

Edit: Here is a list of animes I watched/watch. The site also has some other cool features. It is pretty useful if you want to keep track of animes.
    Last edited by Duck999; 2014-10-19 at 02:37 PM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I suggest watching Baccano before Durarara, because that makes the scene where
    Spoiler
    Show
    Isaac and Miria show up

several times better.

And after those two, watch Samurai Flamenco from the same director.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    I suggest watching Baccano before Durarara, because that makes the scene where
    Spoiler
    Show
    Isaac and Miria show up

several times better.

And after those two, watch Samurai Flamenco from the same director.
    Agreed on both points.

Also, as bonus easter eggs (beyond the major one mentioned), they show a certain climactic scene from Baccano! in the background on various screens in Durarara!!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Does anyone know when the fourth season of durarara ends? I assume it is late next year. And there is going to be a fifth in 2016, right?
    Durarara's second season is going to be a 3 split-cour show. The first cour will air Winter season, the second in Summer season, and the 3rd in winter season of 2016. Source We currently don't have air dates or episode counts, so its impossible to say any more than that. (though obviously each cour will be 12-13 episodes)

Edit: Here is a list of animes I watched/watch. The site also has some other cool features. It is pretty useful if you want to keep track of animes.
    I personally find the feature set of MyAnimeList to be much much better.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

The thing I like about anime-planet is that it also has character ratings and total time.
    I am not sure about myanimelist. What features does it have?
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

You know, in Battletech the fact that mechs are secured with password and biometrics comes up fairly often.

No one in any Gundam continuity has ever had this idea.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HamHam View Post
    You know, in Battletech the fact that mechs are secured with password and biometrics comes up fairly often.

No one in any Gundam continuity has ever had this idea.
    No one designing tanks has ever had that idea either. Mainly because it's pretty hard to steal a tank in the first place.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks for the suggestions! I just watched the first episode of Baccano! and I really like it.

Anyway I'm kind of new to watching anime so what sites do you guys usually use. I'm used to netflix, but its selection is rather lacking so I need a new one. I seem to be asking for lots of suggestions today.
    Last edited by StabbityRabbit; 2014-10-19 at 05:52 PM.
    Grand avatar by the grand Oneris.
    Spoiler: Awesome Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Oh no! My evil plot to talk about elfgames and my having of an unacceptable opinion has been uncovered!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Play nice, boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    The Warden communicates through a complicated language of subtle body movements and flatulence. With a single flutter of their eyelashes and a well-timed fart, the Warden can recite a 16-stanza poem about nugs.
    Devout Omnian in the playground

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Crunchyroll! Crunchyroll is a great site, though there is no lack of adds. The quality is good, and it has a large selection. Though there are some shows it does not have, I use it when I can.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    No one designing tanks has ever had that idea either. Mainly because it's pretty hard to steal a tank in the first place.
    Stealing mobile suits on the other hand is super easy.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Crunchyroll! Crunchyroll is a great site, though there is no lack of adds. The quality is good, and it has a large selection. Though there are some shows it does not have, I use it when I can.
    Unless you pay. Then they remove the ads.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Unless you pay. Then they remove the ads.
    And you can watch episodes sooner. Usually there isn't a large delay, but slme things like Akame Ga Kill have a 1 week delay.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by StabbityRabbit View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions! I just watched the first episode of Baccano! and I really like it.

Anyway I'm kind of new to watching anime so what sites do you guys usually use. I'm used to netflix, but its selection is rather lacking so I need a new one. I seem to be asking for lots of suggestions today.
    Crunchyroll is usually my go-to site (as links to the shows I mentioned before would suggest). Good streaming quality, wide selection of series, legal, and able to be used free of charge (with ads). If you're in North America then I believe Funimation also have a similar streaming service for their licensed shows (of which they have a fair amount), but that's not available to those of us in the rest of the world.
    Animax have a fairly international online (paid) VOD service. Their library of series isn't very large though, at least not in Europe anyway.
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2014-10-19 at 08:02 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

And you can watch episodes sooner. Usually there isn't a large delay, but slme things like Akame Ga Kill have a 1 week delay.
    I'm pretty sure it's a fixed one-week delay.

Also, the site is essentially the only source of legal streaming outside the US, though its utility for that drops markedly if you aren't in the British Isles, the Benelux or Scandinavia from what I've heard. I only have real experience with Scandinavia and an Irish friend. It seems to be improving in this regard, though.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

It's fixed? mAre there shows that are available tomeveryone immdiately, because I think the SAO episode was available immediately for me.

Also, is the Crunchyroll app glitchy for anyone else? A lot, if not all of the ads make the app crash.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

I run into trouble with the Crunchyroll app usually just because my phone is crud, but it's never crashed because of an ad. At least not yet.

So just the other week I finished Nisekoi. The total lack of resolution for literally any plot points that were introduced was more than a little frustrating. I'm told that the next season shouldn't be expected to do any differently. The show makes me happy, sad, and angry at the same time, which I guess can be the hallmark of a good anime, if we want it to be.

Love Live! season 1 on the other hand just makes me happy, and is universally accepted as average at best, so so far the measurement's consistent. Apparently a lot of people really hate the CGI scenes; I admit, they're weird and somewhat out of place. But they're hardly a deal-breaker, and as the first idol show I've watched it's not bad. I've seen the first half of the first episode of Idol Master (I was interrupted) and it was more jarring for me than Love Live!'s CGI that apparently the guy doesn't get a voice actor.

I'm bad at keeping up with shows every week, so I'm behind on some of this season's stuff. But I'm tracking Terra Formars and When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace, and saw the first two episodes of both (and the first OVA of Terra Formars). I might just put off Terra Formars until the uncensored version comes out, because this is literally ridiculous and impossible to see what's going on. Reminds me of what I've seen of Pupa. When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace is good, but I got my fill of chuunibyou when I watched Chuunibyou. Although here the powers are real, so it's different and I'm getting over it. Good show.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Given that Love Live has averaged sales above 40k per volume, has a massive peripheral demographic and might actually outproduce Touhou for yuri doujins at the moment, I feel pretty safe in saying that a lot of people really like it.

That said, I couldn't get into it when I tried watching it last week. It's like K-On with flatter characters, lower budget, less interesting cinematography and more generic music...And if I wanted K-On, I'd just watch K-On. So, um, yeah, not sure I see why this specific show took off like that. Totally inoffensive though, I just found it really dull, especially when getting flashbacks to a show that did most of these things and did them better.