New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Lightbulb Creating New System for Cinematic Play in Most Settings-- INPUT APPRECIATED

Hello. I'm brand new to the homebrew scene. I've grown frustrated in some instances with D&D/Pathfinder both for the over-the-top unrealism (or vagueness in knowing what actually connected with their bodies depending on how you view the Hit Point system) they bring through the hit point system, as well as with the fact that it really only works in a fantasy setting due to the way the damage-reliant combat system works. I tried GURPS only to be frustrated with just the oppressive number of things a player has to consider-- things that an expert might be delighted to have as options, but a newbie has to sift through to find the option they want and that can be exceedingly difficult (it was for me).

With that in mind, the feeling I want to achieve is one of grand action cinema: much flynning, dodging, and clashing of swords is had before a blow is dealt and the vanquished slumps to the ground, ready to deliver his dying monologue. But looking at other games, there's very little flow to a battle, it's just all of a sudden over one day. This combat system is intended to adequately represent the flow of combat to show who has the upper hand and who is on their back foot before any blow is successfully dealt, and give the disadvantaged a chance to withdraw from combat or otherwise avoid being harmed.

To this end, I have created a new system dividing hit points into multiple, seperate pools:
    • HEALTH: This pool represents the structural integrity of your skeleton (whatever it is made of) and the functional capability of your organs. This stat is damaged whenever you receive DAMAGE. When it hits 0, you are at immediate risk of death. HEALTH does not regenerate quickly, and recovering even a single point can take days.
    • DODGE: This pool represents your ability to move your body out of the way of incoming attacks. It is an ablative resource pool like HEALTH, but you can choose to use it instead of your HEALTH if you have enough DODGE points available. The slower and smaller an attack is coming, the fewer DODGE points it requires regardless of how damaging the attack would be to your HEALTH (a lightsaber and a wooden club are just as easily avoided even though one would obviously be far more harmful). DODGE regenerates when out of combat (or just away from your opponent and not actively having to avoid his attacks).
    • PARRY: Like DODGE, PARRY is a resource pool that you can use instead of HEALTH. It represents avoiding an attack by placing a durable object, such as a weapon or a shield, in between you and an oncoming attack. An unarmed human has very few PARRY points as he has very little to block an attack with. A man armed with a sword or two has more PARRY points, and a man armed with a shield has even more. PARRY cares more about the kinetic force behind an attack, unlike DODGE which cares about its speed alone; a slow, powerful kick from an ogre is harder to PARRY than a kick of the same speed from a halfling. PARRY regenerates when out of combat (or just away from your opponent and not actively having to avoid his attacks).
    • RESIST: DODGE and PARRY can sometimes be used to avoid magical attacks, for instance you can DODGE a fireball or PARRY dragonfire with your shield if it's good enough. But you cannot DODGE or PARRY a mind control spell-- you can only RESIST it (or GIVE IN). RESIST is your mental reserves, and you use it to fight compulsions, impulses, and fatigue. RESIST regenerates when you sleep, rest, or participate in enjoyable activities.

What I need help with: I don't know how to actually make a proper write-up for this, and could use people's help in this endeavor. What do I say? How do I organize it? What do?

ANY helpful advice is welcome.
    Last edited by Cloaked Figure; 2015-12-28 at 11:49 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Creating New System for Cinematic Play in Most Settings-- HELP WANTED

My main question is: How do you represent the speed of an attack numerically in your calculations concerning dodge and parry?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Creating New System for Cinematic Play in Most Settings-- HELP WANTED

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    My main question is: How do you represent the speed of an attack numerically in your calculations concerning dodge and parry?
    Good question! In this case, different attacks would have innate speeds, represented with a base based on how fast/accurate the attack is. Rapiers, for instance, would be faster than broadswords which would be faster than morningstars. This isn't purely a measurement of speed, but of total time between intent-of-attack and of the attack-- of the 'heaviness' of an attack. For instance, even if an anti-tank round moves faster than a slingshot pellet, an anti-tank gun takes longer to aim than a slingshot, giving a target more time to get out of the way. In this way, gunfire too can be dodged-- not by dodging the bullets, but by dodging the gun.

For instance, a weapon might have the following characteristics:
    BASE DAMAGE: 4 (crush)
    SPEED: -1
    WEIGHT: +2
    (this would be appropriate for a somewhat heavy melee weapon made of steel, such as a crowbar)

To attack with it, you roll attack severity based on your own weapon skill, and then adjust it based on the pool you're striking: in this case, +4 if they take it with HEALTH, -1 if they DODGE, and +2 if they try to PARRY.

Suppose for a moment that FRED has the following STATS:
    • 8 HEALTH, 2 RUGGEDNESS (a stat which mitigates HEALTH damage)
    • 5 DODGE, 0 ??? (a stat which mitigates DODGE damage, haven't come up with a name for it yet)
    • 5 PARRY, 3 COVER (a stat which mitigates PARRY damage)

FRED is attacked by an attacker with ATTACK SEVERITY 5. If this attack connects, he will take 5 (ATTACK SEVERITY) + 4 (BASE DAMAGE) - 2 (RUGGEDNESS) = 7 HEALTH damage. This is severe damage and will maim him for quite some time, and he will likely be rendered UNCONSCIOUS. However, he could choose to DODGE it, in which case he will spend 5 (ATTACK SEVERITY) - 1 (SPEED) = 4 DODGE points to do so, putting him at risk of not being able to DODGE a future attack. Or he could PARRY, and spend 5 (ATTACK SEVERITY) + 2 (WEIGHT) - 3 (COVER) = 4 PARRY points. FRED might not be able to stay in this fight much longer, but he's not dead yet.
    Last edited by Cloaked Figure; 2015-12-28 at 11:41 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Creating New System for Cinematic Play in Most Settings-- INPUT APPRECIATED

I like the idea, me and my friend have been tryin to think of a good system like this and I like the base you have for it so far. If you use a system you're familiar with as a base and try to add these rules in on top and do a few test plays, even if you just have two characters fight each other and role the dice for both of them, it might be easier to pin down a specific number system. (5e is pretty easy to insert new rules into and once you find what works you can just trim out what doesn't.) Maybe use the spell DC formula to figure out dodge, parry, and resist pools. Dex for dodge Str for parry (or dex if using a finesse weapon) and Wis for resist (and CON for health of course). The mitigation stat could be just your bare mod for the corresponding ability score (the one for dodge could be called reflex or agility btw). These numbers may be a little high but it's just a starting point.

You could also have a hit area system where you actually designate what part of the body you're hitting if that would interest you. split it into legs, arms, torso, and head each with their own hp, more vital areas having lower hp, reducing a limb to 0 hp would maim or sever it rendering it useless and someone who sneaks up and slits someones throat wouldn't have to have a bunch of extra sneak damage features and spec into assassin classes to know how to effectively stab them in the head. Armor could also be a major factor in mitigating health damage, giving you the most of your "ruggedness" stat while wearing out over time. Maybe a piece of armor has its own hp, or when it's hit has to make a constitution saving throw against the damage it took as a DC taking an "injury" on a failed save. The armor would have a Condition stat and Max condition effectively acting as health. A brand new Leather gauntlet has a ruggedness of say 4 and a Max Condition of 3, if it through taking damage it fails 3 constitution saves it is considered broken.

That's all I got for now, hope you find it helpful, if I come up with anything else I'll chime in.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Creating New System for Cinematic Play in Most Settings-- INPUT APPRECIATED

The stat to reduce Dodge damage could be CONCEALMENT, meaning it's easier to dodge when they can't see you. Of course, that's mitigatednif you can't see them, either...
    The RESISTANCE damage reducer stat could be called RESOLVE, in similar vein as RUGGEDNESS.
    It's a falcon. Wearing a Fedora. Your argument is irrelevant.
    Official Member of the No Cussing Club

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DermtheSherm View Post
    I like the idea, me and my friend have been tryin to think of a good system like this and I like the base you have for it so far. If you use a system you're familiar with as a base and try to add these rules in on top and do a few test plays, even if you just have two characters fight each other and role the dice for both of them, it might be easier to pin down a specific number system. (5e is pretty easy to insert new rules into and once you find what works you can just trim out what doesn't.)
    I'm super glad you like the idea, and thank you for your suggestion of using an existing system as a baseline, though I am concerned about this new system gaining the... quirks... of the existing systems, so I'm not sure really what to do there, I hope that makes sense.

Maybe use the spell DC formula to figure out dodge, parry, and resist pools. Dex for dodge Str for parry (or dex if using a finesse weapon) and Wis for resist (and CON for health of course). The mitigation stat could be just your bare mod for the corresponding ability score (the one for dodge could be called reflex or agility btw). These numbers may be a little high but it's just a starting point.
    I don't understand what you mean by that.

You could also have a hit area system where you actually designate what part of the body you're hitting if that would interest you. split it into legs, arms, torso, and head each with their own hp, more vital areas having lower hp, reducing a limb to 0 hp would maim or sever it rendering it useless and someone who sneaks up and slits someones throat wouldn't have to have a bunch of extra sneak damage features and spec into assassin classes to know how to effectively stab them in the head.
    I am trying to avoid a hit area system in at least the 1.0 iteration-- I'm trying to keep this simple. Maybe in 2.0 or Expert Edition or something, but right now, simplicity is a huge concern. I want this to have the fast play of D&D, not the slow play of GURPS where each turn takes half an hour of looking through books for rules.

Armor could also be a major factor in mitigating health damage, giving you the most of your "ruggedness" stat while wearing out over time. Maybe a piece of armor has its own hp, or when it's hit has to make a constitution saving throw against the damage it took as a DC taking an "injury" on a failed save. The armor would have a Condition stat and Max condition effectively acting as health. A brand new Leather gauntlet has a ruggedness of say 4 and a Max Condition of 3, if it through taking damage it fails 3 constitution saves it is considered broken.
    I love this idea. I will definitely look into this. Reminds me of the Darknut fight from Legend of Zelda, heheh.

That's all I got for now, hope you find it helpful, if I come up with anything else I'll chime in.
    Thank you again. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon Falcon View Post
    The stat to reduce Dodge damage could be CONCEALMENT, meaning it's easier to dodge when they can't see you. Of course, that's mitigatednif you can't see them, either...
    The RESISTANCE damage reducer stat could be called RESOLVE, in similar vein as RUGGEDNESS.
    I considered COVER or CONCEALMENT but neither of those quite seem appropriate; cover or concealment should certainly provide a big bonus here of course, but some particularly expert or agile opponents will be able to dodge wimpy, clumsy attacks all day. Doesn't matter how many times an untrained peasant takes a swing at an expert martial artist, he's never hitting. It's not because the monk has cover or concealment, it's just that he is not expending -any- effort to dodge, because he doesn't have to. He's literally just that good. AGILITY maybe.
    Last edited by Cloaked Figure; 2015-12-29 at 11:17 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey guys! Me again. Figured out an example character sheet (this is VERY WIP!) I'll also include what this crap means. Keep in mind all terminology can change, and some of it has changed from my previous post. This is just a prototype, not the combat-ready version, so everything here is subject to alteration as needed or desired.

Joe the Average <- character name
    Level 0 Human <- level and race; this game does not have distinct classes
    Advancement percentile: 100% <- Taking different traits can affect the speed at which you level up. Positive traits make it take longer, negative ones make it take less. 100% means totally average.
    XP: 0/200 <- When this fraction is no longer less than 1, Joe can trade 200XP for a level up.

Strength 7 <- This is a representation of Joe's physical body's muscle power. Higher number means stronger. 0 means complete absence of all major motor muscle function, perhaps due to atrophy.
    Coordination 7 <- This is a representation both of Joe's muscle control as well as kinesthetic sense. Higher number makes him capable of more delicate work. 0 means paralysis.
    Intellect 7 <- This is a representation of Joe's analytical ability as well as ability to store and cross-reference information. Higher number means smarter. 0 means braindeath.
    Perception 7 <- This is a representation of Joe's ability to understand his immediate surroundings and notice things. Higher number means he misses less. 0 means he is unable to perceive any external reality.
    Charisma 7 <- This is a representation of Joe's persuasiveness and people skills. Higher number means he is more likely to influence people the way he wants. 0 means he is unable to discern the difference between himself and his surroundings? (WIP)

Health 7/7 Toughness 2 <- Health is a representation of the structural integrity and organ function of Joe's body. When it hits 0, he is IMMEDIATELY at risk of death, and is actively using Willpower to continue breathing and pumping blood through his body. Toughness is his body's ability to absorb blows without being damaged.
    Parry 7/7 Defense 0 <- Parry is explained in the opening post. Defense is Joe's ability to ward off blows -without- using Parry Points, through skill and practice, he parry sufficiently feeble attacks effortlessly-- effectively, Defense is Damage Reduction for Parry. Joe is not trained in self-defense, and so he has no Defense.
    Dodge 7/7 Agility 0 <- Agility is for Dodge what Defense is for Parry. It is the ability to move quickly out of the way of attacks without using significant effort, through training. Joe has received no such training, so he has no Agility.
    Willpower 7/7 Resolve 0 <- Willpower is explained above, though at the time it was called Resist. Resolve mitigates Willpower expenditure to resist mental effects.

Traits:
    - None
    <- Traits are "class features" or "advantages"... but can also be "disadvantages". Good traits give a benefit, but make you level up slower. Bad traits restrict you in some way, but make you level up faster.

Attacks:
    General Combat Skill:
    0 <- General Combat Skill is analogous to D&D's "Base Attack Bonus". It is a general bonus martial characters get to all fighting. Even soldiers specializing in one weapon or another still need to learn how to counter various forms of attacks, so general military competency naturally seeps in.

FIST (natural class) <- The "natural class" is a category of weapons one can train in. It represents anything that comes packaged with your physical form. Training in natural weapons does NOT by default allow you to proficiently use weapons that you do not naturally own. No amount of Taekwon-do will help you bite better when you have been turned into a snake.
    Skill: 0 This is a bonus to this specific weapon from his training. Which he hasn't got any.
    Damage: 0 This is the amount of damage this weapon does by default. When attacking with this weapon, Joe would add +1d6 to this number and that's the amount of damage it would do.
    Speed: 0 Instead of the weapon's Damage, its Speed is considered whenever Joe's opponent would try to Dodge it. More speed = more effort needed to get out of the way = more Dodge points lost. When attacking with this weapon, Joe would add +1d6 to this number and that's the amount of Dodge points it would cost to avoid.
    Power: 0 This is a representation of the amount of force needed to stop this weapon from hitting its target. Heavier weapons take more effort to stop, and can wear down the arms of the defender. When attacking with this weapon, Joe would add +1d6 to this number and that's the amount of Dodge points it would cost to block.

FOOT (natural class) <- another example, and again all of these numbers can be changed.
    Skill: -2
    Base: 2
    Speed: -1
    Weight: 0

SKILLS: <- don't have anything here yet, sorry. I do know that magical spells will be considered to be a cross between a Trait and a Skill: To cast a Fireball, you need the Fireball spell, and some skill in Fire Magic. WIP.
    Last edited by Cloaked Figure; 2015-12-30 at 02:27 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

DrowGuy

I don't have much in the way of advice, but this system has potential. I'm curious about poisons, though - how do you fight off toxins once they're in your system? I'm seeing a few possibilities here:

1. You have to take the damage to your health unless the toxin says otherwise. Much more lethal that I think you're going for.
    2. You use Willpower. This would imply that Willpower is more than mental attacks, making Resist or something less mentally focused a better term.
    3. You use a Skill/Trait? Honestly not sure how that'd work.

Is it one of these, or some other option I can't think of atm?
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JBPuffin View Post
    I don't have much in the way of advice, but this system has potential. I'm curious about poisons, though - how do you fight off toxins once they're in your system? I'm seeing a few possibilities here:

1. You have to take the damage to your health unless the toxin says otherwise. Much more lethal that I think you're going for.
    2. You use Willpower. This would imply that Willpower is more than mental attacks, making Resist or something less mentally focused a better term.
    3. You use a Skill/Trait? Honestly not sure how that'd work.

Is it one of these, or some other option I can't think of atm?
    Thank you for your interest. This is a very good question. Now, there are four -general- kinds of poison. There's the kind you put in the air, the kind you put in food or water, the kind that seeps in through the skin, and the kind that must be added directly to the bloodstream.

The air kind: some of these can be Dodged, such as the breath weapon from a black dragon, which shoots out in a cone of nastiness that quickly disperses, but most of them cannot. Being trapped in a room filled with poisonous gas works best as a 'race against time' sort of trap similar to the crushing-walls sort: There's just not much you can do to avoid it, and we'll get to what happens to you if you don't at the end of this post.

The ingested kind: This is again really more of a plot point than something you just randomly throw at the PCs; once you've ingested it, you are poisoned and see below for what happens then.

The contact kind: If you don't touch it, it doesn't touch you. All examples of this can be avoided by not touching the object in question. "but what if someone's trying to hit me with a poisoned object?" That's what DODGE and PARRY are for, though if you PARRY with no weapon, you're assumed to be using your arms and so it will affect you anyway. This same holds true for an injected/blood contact poison, so I'm not typing up a separate paragraph on that. However, be aware that just because you do not lose any HEALTH does not mean that you are not affected by an injected poison: Even hits which do not cause you to lose HEALTH still result in superficial bleeding if they are stopped by the TOUGHNESS of your flesh, and that means blood contact. (Crush is the exception here; crushing attacks generally cause the bleeding to be internal rather than external)

Now, you asked what happens -after- toxins enter your system. At this point, the damage is largely already done. Damage to an attribute, which can be ANY attribute, is dealt over time until the poison runs its course or is purged from your system. Or you die. Some poisons are quite lethal. Some damage your HEALTH directly. Some damage your STRENGTH or COORDINATION (those are particularly nasty. Curare is one of these) or other stat and can cause death that way.

Poisons can be purged with an antidote to that particular poison, with generic medicine, or with time and care. A poison has an Acuity, and the person afflicted has to roll 2d6+Health bonus every interval or else suffer its effects. Unlike Diseases, poisons only have a single 'stage'.

An example poison: (I AM NOT AN EXPERT IN THESE THINGS DO NOT HOLD ME TO THE NUMBERS LIKE THEY ARE GOSPEL OKAY I MADE THEM UP)
    Digitalis Extract (ingested)
    Onset time: 2 hours
    Interval: 2 hours
    Longevity: 1 day
    Acuity: 18
    Affect: -1 Health, -2 Coordination, -4 Discomfort Penalty
    Diagnosis Difficulty: 14
    Treatment Difficulty: 10

So Joe has the extreme misfortune of eating food laced with digitalis extract. Two hours later, he makes a Health roll. His player asks "why?" and the GM says nothing. Joe's player gets nervous and rolls 2d6+7 for a result of 14 (because he's just so average that of course he'd roll a 7). He loses 1 point of Health and Coordination. Joe feels AWFUL, and everything he does is at -4 (except for saving against the poison).

Two hours after eating the poisoned food, he is at 6/7 HEALTH (this being a poison, it ignores his TOUGHNESS) and 5/7 COORDINATION. He's dizzy, he's profoundly uncomfortable, and he's nauseous.

Two hours after that, he rolls again, at 2d6+6 (because his HEALTH is reduced) for a result of 13. Still below the Acuity. That's bad. He feels even worse now. It's pretty clear to Joe that he's been poisoned, and is probably going to die without help. He goes over to his friend Jimmy the Medic, and describes a weird taste in his food along with just how terrible he feels.

Jimmy rolls Medicine at 2d6+7 (14) and determines that his bestest friend has been poisoned with Digitalis Extract. Sadly, Jimmy has no Digitalis Extract Antivenom in his pockets, so instead he goes and uses his Medicine skill. He makes Joe comfortable and treats it the best he can, but administers magnesium and other treatments (he doesn't have any digoxin immune fab, nor what he needs to whip up a batch where they are). Because Jimmy doesn't have everything he needs for a perfect antitoxin which would allow him to remove the poison with a single Treatment roll, he has to assist Joe's recovery through the poison.

Joe rolls against the affects of the poison again, but this time, he has Jimmy helping him out. Jimmy rolls Medicine and beats the Treatment Difficulty by 4, giving Joe a +4 on his roll. But sadly, Joe's roll is again only average: 7+6 (health) + 4 = 17, slightly below the poison's Acuity, meaning he loses another point of health and another two of coordination.

Jimmy's done all he can for poor Joe, who will need an above average result in order to survive.

The moral of this story is don't eat Foxglove.

10. - Top - End - #10

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cloaked Figure View Post
    How poison works
    This is impressively thought out. I'm imagining the trouble that's caused when the medic is the one who gets poisoned...
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

HalflingPirate

Have you got a system in mind for dealing with magic yet? In one of my own homebrew systems, I briefly played with the idea of a limited mana pool, where the player rolls against the spell's difficulty to determine how much mana they expend in the casting of the spell. Had the idea of using a separate stat to help this check, so that advanced casters can mitigate the spell's mana cost more easily.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

This is good. Or at least a good idea. In my own system I find myself constantly dividing up the health pools/tracks to try and make a health system that represents getting hurt more complex than HP.

I would actually recommend letting Willpower be the defence against (some) poisons. Two reasons: one willpower as "magic defence" seems like a rather narrow definition for it in a table top role-playing game where your stats often describe the entire character, two it seems dramatically appropriate and there is a certain logic to fighting through the pain of poison. Now this makes more sense for fast acting poison so that is why I said some poisons.

I have a question, you hinted that the secondary pools would regenerate very quickly, exactly how fast are you thinking?

Finally I would have no fear of hacking your ideas onto existing systems to try them out. I feel (with no hard evidence to back this up mind you) that rules lite systems work well for this as they have just enough rules to fill in the gaps you don't want to fill (yet or at all if you want to stop at a system hack) while not really getting in the way of what you want to test.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Happy New Years, everybody! I had a wonderful, well-thought-out post, and then Chrome crashed and it was all lost. Don't you just hate that? :/ I'll get to replying to you soon Loki, right now though my time is limited, so just this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    This is good. Or at least a good idea. In my own system I find myself constantly dividing up the health pools/tracks to try and make a health system that represents getting hurt more complex than HP.
    Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad you think it's a good idea. My hope is that if I can assemble a design team beyond just 'me' I can make this into an actual RPG with pdfs, an SRD, and a character sheet app (I can do MOST of that, but not all, so it's not as outlandish as it sounds).

I would actually recommend letting Willpower be the defence against (some) poisons. Two reasons: one willpower as "magic defence" seems like a rather narrow definition for it in a table top role-playing game where your stats often describe the entire character, two it seems dramatically appropriate and there is a certain logic to fighting through the pain of poison. Now this makes more sense for fast acting poison so that is why I said some poisons.
    Willpower is not exclusively against magical threats! It is used any time anything tests your self-control. If you down an enemy after a long and difficult fight, Willpower is used to -stop- hitting him after he goes down, for instance. Not much, for most characters, but characters in a rage or who are wrathful or cruel have it worse there. Greedy characters have to use Willpower to not swipe riches they were warned not to touch. That sort of thing. Maybe Willpower can get slight bonuses on poisons, but nothing too spectacular.

I have a question, you hinted that the secondary pools would regenerate very quickly, exactly how fast are you thinking?
    That, unfortunately, is something I'm not totally square on just yet. I'm imagining that depends on your skill to some degree, perhaps after a certain number of rounds of not using it, you start to regenerate them-- regaining DODGE as you're not under attack anymore and get your balance up, for example. PARRY will probably regenerate faster.

Finally I would have no fear of hacking your ideas onto existing systems to try them out. I feel (with no hard evidence to back this up mind you) that rules lite systems work well for this as they have just enough rules to fill in the gaps you don't want to fill (yet or at all if you want to stop at a system hack) while not really getting in the way of what you want to test.
    The trouble is, I actually have no idea what systems would be compatible. If you would like to assist in this endeavor, please feel free to PM me and we can talk on Skype.
    Last edited by Cloaked Figure; 2016-01-01 at 09:55 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

No need for a PM, I can publicly tell you I think the best system would be Apocalypse World. Now I've never played the original Apocalypse World but I have played a number of Apocalypse World hacks. So in a sense I am just suggesting it because it is what I know, but I have a few actual reason I can list off for it to work:

1. The base resolution mechanic is very simple. 2d6+stat: -6: miss, 7-9: weak hit, 10+: strong hit.
    2. The move system makes creating new powers or options really simple, and even changing the stat line isn't that hard.
    3. It is narative focused, which means you can make up bits as you go along (even if that isn't what you are going for it makes for easy playtests).
    4. The base system's weakest feature is (in my opition) the- *Drum Roll* - Health System.

In fact I was going to test my ongoing project's health system with an apocalypse world hack, but I'm currently focusing on the central resolution mechanic. Check out some other apocalypse world hacks (say dungeon world) to see how other people change it.