New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Default Malfeas 2e "I'm on a boat" charms - and other infernal charms

Hey, all!

I've been going over 2e charms for some splats - mostly Infernals and Alchemicals - on the internet lately. I lost a bunch of bookmarks a while back, and I'm trying to find everything lost. While I found Revlid's "Malfeas Dance Fight" tree, and Xefas' "City in My Soul" stuff, I distinctly recall someone making a Malfeas charm called "I'm on a boat" in some thread or another, and I can't seem to find it.

Anyone else have any luck?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Malfeas 2e "I'm on a boat" charms - and other infernal charms

I have found this: Link to it
    I'm On A Boat
    Cost: 1m; Mins: Essence 3; Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: Combo-OK, Obvious
    Duration: Instant
    Prerequisite Charms: Crowned With Fury

Sometimes Malfeas is on a boat. It would seem that, banished from the world, laid low, wrongfully imprisoned and mutilated, that the sea, and the rocks, and the ships have forgotten his dominion over them. They would attempt to keep him from being on a boat. But so long as there is a drop of Essence left in Malfeas, the Devil Tyrant will not concede. He is, in fact, on a boat, and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Whenever some event would inflict a penalty on the continued operation of a sailing vessel that the Infernal is currently on, they may activate this charm to make the penalty inapplicable so long as he remains upon the vessel in question. In doing so, he must shout at the source of the penalty, some kind of proclamation of his spacial existence upon the boat.

For example, were an iceberg to tear a hole into the side of the Infernal's vessel, he could shout "I'm on this boat, ************!" at the iceberg, and while the boat would still bear a crippling hole on its side, it would not impair the function of the boat so long as the Infernal remained upon it. It would remain buoyant, and maneuver correctly, and so forth.

It is possible for an Infernal to dock a perfectly operational ship, now composed entirely of a half dozen splintered planks and a scrap of torn cloth, held together only by his spite and stubbornness, only to step off of it, and have its remains collapse into nothing.

A second purchase at Essence 4+ allows the Infernal to convince everyone and everything around him that he is on a boat, even if he isn't. This adds an 8 mote surcharge onto the regular cost of this charm, and requires that they be committed. So long as they remain so, the Infernal is, for all intents and purposes, sailing on a Large Yacht (see the Scroll of Kings). He may even store cargo in this mostly fictional vessel, and bring others with him, as his authority convinces them that they too are also on the boat that the Infernal is clearly on as well.
    somehow got onto a sufficient velocity thread in 2017 that linked back to the source.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #3

4. - Top - End - #4
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I thought Meschlum and his her Wyld creations held that crown?

EDIT: Corrected!
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2021-08-31 at 10:47 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Too bad I haven't seen him around this site for years. don't think I've seen him elsewhere either. shame, we could've used his expertise with charms for Essence homebrew.

wherever he is, I hope he is doing well.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-08-31 at 09:02 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Too bad I haven't seen him around this site for years. don't think I've seen him elsewhere either. shame, we could've used his expertise with charms for Essence homebrew.

wherever he is, I hope he is doing well.
    She's a her now. And I'll pass on your well-wishes!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    She's a her now. And I'll pass on your well-wishes!
    Oh! Good, I'm happy for her. should really get around to that myself...

anyways. I haven't seen meschlum around for years either. Exalted 3e don't make fair folk playable and they wouldn't allow for his shenanigans. instead, there is that whole semi-canonical Dream-Souled Exalted in the works that I want to homebrew for but haven't really gotten around to.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I thought Meschlum and his her Wyld creations held that crown?

EDIT: Corrected!
    I've liked all of their stuff that I've seen, but they weren't the one who wrote the Teramach, sooooo...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pardon my ignorance, but what are these charms we're taking about?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    It is possible for an Infernal to dock a perfectly operational ship, now composed entirely of a half dozen splintered planks and a scrap of torn cloth, held together only by his spite and stubbornness, only to step off of it, and have its remains collapse into nothing.
    I am now grinning at the thought of Crowley's burning Bentley from Good Omens.
    Last edited by mucat; 2021-09-01 at 06:28 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    I am now grinning at the thought of Crowley's burning Bentley from Good Omens.
    My first thought was actually Jack Sparrow from PotC 1, when he arrives at the port.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2021-09-02 at 12:12 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Looks at link.

*Internal screaming intensifies*

I had this link. I actually have this link. THE WHOLE TIME. Not in my (deleted) bookmarks, but in my notes. I remembered when I saw the link because I had this entire thing built up about Sun-Body Apotheosis and how it could represent Ligier in a campaign I wanted to run (and naturally never have), but naturally I just blipped over it because my notes weren't lost...

Aaaaaaagh. Sorry for this, and for not responding to the thread faster. (GitP has notifications, right? It has the little sign at the top right saying so, at least...)

Anyways. Self-frustration aside, THANK YOU. This is the most Malfeas charm in the history of Malfeas, and

Quote Originally Posted by Cicciograna View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what are these charms we're taking about?
    I'm not sure how far I need to go, here. I'm not sure if I'm interpreting the question right, but...

If you aren't familiar with Exalted: Basically, the name for the protagonists' magic divine superpowers that aren't magic spells. (Slightly oversimplified, but I'd like confirmation that this was the question before I embarrass myself trying to explain this. I'm not good at explanations)

If... actually, I'm not sure what else the question could be, other than "which specific charms do you mean?" Which the most excellent Lord Raziere somehow managed to track down (which is amazing. Really, I checked Xefas' created threads on GitP, and it isn't listed, despite being a created thread. I have no clue what fell sorceries hid this) and linked to in the second post in this thread.

...unless you were asking about the Teramach, which is what happened when Xefas crafted a D&D 3.5 class in tribute to screaming god-slaying-berserkers inspired partially/heavily by Infernal Monster fluff. It's not a name for a rare charm tree, it's something completely different.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boo600 View Post
    If... actually, I'm not sure what else the question could be, other than "which specific charms do you mean?" Which the most excellent Lord Raziere somehow managed to track down (which is amazing. Really, I checked Xefas' created threads on GitP, and it isn't listed, despite being a created thread. I have no clue what fell sorceries hid this) and linked to in the second post in this thread.
    Google-Fu is an incredibly powerful Sidereal Martial Art, friend. (probably because its the most basic and more commonly referred to as "look into the Loom of Fate/Efficient Secretary Technique")

As for the charms well, you've already answered them on one level, on another level, the specific charms in question are:

Revlid's dance fight charms
    and...
    Xefas City in my soul charms

second one was a bit harder to find admittedly, but I figured out a way. basically they are homebrew charms to make playing 2e Infernal Exalted more flexible, as the original charm trees while awesome are bit narrow. the dance fight charms are exactly what you think are: charms to make sure you can fight people by dancing. this is in emulation of one of Malfea's souls the Brass Dancer. the city in your soul charms are "heretical" things that deviate from one Yozis design or another by combining two of them and thus creating something new. the city in your soul stuff is basically allowing you to craft things inside you own soul without having to do it yourself and other tricks of having a city for one's own immortal self.

don't be discouraged reader if you don't understand or find all of this a bit strange. we're talking about homebrew of one of the most esoteric and bizarre aspects of Exalted Second Edition lore wise and mechanics wise. this is kind of the deep end of Exalted lore.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Wow.

I actually found those two earlier, but that was by going through Xefas' created threads. You used google? HOW?

Seriously, this is cool. It's almost like this thread has it's own little emerald pattern spider, except instead of just giving short, unhelpful answers, this pattern spider moves on to start cataloguing answers you might want, because they're similar and also important, without being prompted.

Suck it, Kejak!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boo600 View Post
    I'm not sure how far I need to go, here. I'm not sure if I'm interpreting the question right, but...

If you aren't familiar with Exalted: Basically, the name for the protagonists' magic divine superpowers that aren't magic spells. (Slightly oversimplified, but I'd like confirmation that this was the question before I embarrass myself trying to explain this. I'm not good at explanations).
    It was this, I am not familiar with Exalted. Or better, I even played the game but have removed essentially every notion about it due to bad experiences. Thank you for the reply.