New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Local Speakeasy Competition Chat II: No Shirt? No Shoes? Materials Provided within

Welcome one and all to the 3.X Local Speakeasy, custodian of many Home Brews. Bring a new brew to the table, or have a taste of someone else's. The 'brews in this fine establishment are not your heavy Base Classes, or the ever popular 10 level Prestige Classes. Here patrons enjoy lighter fare: Feats, Skill Tricks or Uses, Spells, Powers, Invocations, Vestiges, Soulmelds, and Maneuvers for those looking to add a little flavor to their day, Alternate Class Features, Racial Substitution Levels, Prestige Classes of less than 5 levels, and Monsters for those seeking a bit more kick, and for guests of hearty guts, we also take and provide Alternate Rules for Magic and Combat.

Past Competitions
    Contest Name First Place Winner
    I To the Ruin of All The Soul of Ruin, Fixed Sorcerer Lists & New Spells Amechra, Jormengand
    II The Wild Side The Wild (Ruleset) Jormengand
    III Treacherous as the Sea Soul of the Sea Libro
    V The Curtain Call Cadence Casting (Magic System) Jormengand

Current Competition is...
    TRAVEL

Chat your hearts out! Just go easy on the local brew, some people have some pretty strong stills.
    Last edited by ShiningStarling; 2017-07-27 at 04:01 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Local Speakeasy Competition Chat II: No Shirt? No Shoes? Materials Provided withi

Cool. I'll work something out for this.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Local Speakeasy Competition Chat II: No Shirt? No Shoes? Materials Provided withi

I want to create a rule subset based around bards playing together in a band, allowing them to put on concerts for massive cash and cast uber spells similar to the epic spellcasting rules except with a perform check rather than a spellcraft check. I don't know how much time I have to devote to this though, so if someone wants to steal this idea, I won't mind.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    I want to create a rule subset based around bards playing together in a band, allowing them to put on concerts for massive cash and cast uber spells similar to the epic spellcasting rules except with a perform check rather than a spellcraft check. I don't know how much time I have to devote to this though, so if someone wants to steal this idea, I won't mind.
    Well, given that my main idea is to make a few feats revolving around using Bardic Music uses to do useful things like Metamagic without the asinine spontaneous caster gimp, I can probably work in a crude setup for using Bardic Music uses as freeform-ish spellcasting fuel. Group performances can easily be a modifier for that setup. "Epic Songcraft," maybe? If I want it to be Epic anyway...

5. - Top - End - #5

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ooh!

I have a half-written system for songwriting lying around somewhere, might as well finish it.
    My one piece of homebrew: The Shaman. A Druid replacement with more powerlevel control.
    The bargain bin- malfunctioning, missing, and broken magic items.
    Spirit Barbarian: The Barbarian, with heavy elements from the Shaman. Complete up to level 17.
    The Priest: A cleric reword which ran out of steam. Still a fun prestige class suitable for E6.
    The Coward: Not every hero can fight.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm considering making a vestige. I have a nifty idea for a murdered bard.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I'm considering making a vestige. I have a nifty idea for a murdered bard.
    Jealous husband situation?
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, finished with the story stuff. Now I just need to think of what abilities she gives.

9. - Top - End - #9

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    I'm assuming items are allowed.
    Those are all brilliant :)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Apologies for double-posting, but should we ask a mod to pin this to the front page? I feel like the contest threads sometimes get buried after a few days, which gives a potentially unfair advantage to early submissions.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    Apologies for double-posting, but should we ask a mod to pin this to the front page? I feel like the contest threads sometimes get buried after a few days, which gives a potentially unfair advantage to early submissions.
    That sounds wonderful, and the base class competition too! Now how to ask...

I believe that the darkness reminds us what light can be

My Extended Homebrew Signature

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Just sent a PM to one of the mods.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

I've nearly finished my entry, which is a magical location, the Echoes of the First Lillend. All that's left as far as I can tell is explaining what an echo revenant is and its statistics.

If anyone has feedback, I'd appreciate it.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    I've nearly finished my entry, which is a magical location, the Echoes of the First Lillend. All that's left as far as I can tell is explaining what an echo revenant is and its statistics.

If anyone has feedback, I'd appreciate it.
    I'm not familiar with the rules for magical locations so I'll just say that looks awesome!

On an unrelated note, I've messaged all of the mods for this forum about pinning the contest to the front page but haven't received any replies. It seems academic though, so long as the submissions keep coming in.

16. - Top - End - #16

I'm not familiar with the rules for magical locations so I'll just say that looks awesome!
    Dungeon Master's Guide II has rules for them, and a few other books include a magical location or two. Essentially, they're places you encounter that give benefits for simply arriving and meeting the prerequisites for a certain duration. Usually, the duration is not permanent, but sometimes it's so long that it might as well be. In this case, once you've dealt with this magical location, it disappears forever, unlike other magical locations, so I've made the duration permanent.

Each magical location also has a gold value to allow DMs to size up what the ability the location grants is worth so they can keep within WBL guidelines.

EDIT: Also, I'm glad you like it.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2017-06-20 at 03:25 AM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Dungeon Master's Guide II has rules for them, and a few other books include a magical location or two. Essentially, they're places you encounter that give benefits for simply arriving and meeting the prerequisites for a certain duration. Usually, the duration is not permanent, but sometimes it's so long that it might as well be. In this case, once you've dealt with this magical location, it disappears forever, unlike other magical locations, so I've made the duration permanent.

Each magical location also has a gold value to allow DMs to size up what the ability the location grants is worth so they can keep within WBL guidelines.

EDIT: Also, I'm glad you like it.
    Neat! Are there stats for the echo revenant?

18. - Top - End - #18

Neat! Are there stats for the echo revenant?
    I still have to make those.
    Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

... torn between just making more bard songs, or turning them into a martial discipline...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

So the deadline was on a day which didn't exist, but which has pretty definitely passed whichever way you swing it. And I got my entry in, possibly on time!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    So the deadline was on a day which didn't exist, but which has pretty definitely passed whichever way you swing it. And I got my entry in, possibly on time!
    Ha! Also, how do we vote?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Ha! Also, how do we vote?
    There should be a voting thread put up soon where you can vote and it's explained how.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

... I a silly. Meant 30th. Yes, I will put the voting thread up as soon as my computer gets internet (shouldn't be long.)

Edit: Voting Thread up! Here

Now taking suggestions for the next round! I'm leaning towards doing a sort of Planar Tour, going through a series of planes for the next few contests, and probably upping their pace somewhat, but this idea may not be any good and would like to hear what other people want to do
    Last edited by ShiningStarling; 2017-07-02 at 06:28 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Ah, poop. Forgot to make stats for the echo revenant.
    Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ObliviMancer View Post
    ... I a silly. Meant 30th. Yes, I will put the voting thread up as soon as my computer gets internet (shouldn't be long.)

Edit: Voting Thread up! Here

Now taking suggestions for the next round! I'm leaning towards doing a sort of Planar Tour, going through a series of planes for the next few contests, and probably upping their pace somewhat, but this idea may not be any good and would like to hear what other people want to do
    Thanks for organising this! It's been great fun watching all the ideas roll in.

I quite like the planar idea - would be an excuse to revisit Sigil if nothing else!

Ah, poop. Forgot to make stats for the echo revenant.
    You could probably whip something up if you're quick enough, or insert "an echo revenant is an advanced Lillend with the lich template" or somesuch.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Voting has concluded!

1st: Jormengand - Cadence Casting
    2nd: bekeleven - Instruments of War
    3rd: Temotei - Echoes of the First Lillend

Originality and Theme - Tie - Jormengand and Temotei
    Most Likely to See Play - bekeleven

Congrats to our winners! This was a very close round, with literally everyone one point apart at the end! (just realized that before my votes, it was a complete 4-way tie... good thing I decided to vote, lol)

New contest going up tonight, any input you wish to have on the theme should be done now!
    Last edited by ShiningStarling; 2017-07-16 at 12:59 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

You seem to have the contests going I-II-III-II for some reason...

(just realized that before my votes, it was a complete 4-way tie... good thing I decided to vote, lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    [OPRAH]You get a 6! You get a 6! Everyone gets a 6![/OPRAH]

New contest going up tonight, any input you wish to have on the theme should be done now!
    Hmm...

No ideas, sorry.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... Something I can work with as a 3-level PRC, feat or variant rule... Caster screwing? Let's go with antimagic for my vote on the next theme. Because there's enough ways to do anti-magic that I can easily think of multiple variant rules, feats, 3-level PRCs and even replacement levels to make it work. Turning Monk into a functional mage killer would be fun...

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

New Contest is up! Here

Decided to go more broad than the specific ideas out at the moment, good luck all!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, man. I completely forgot all about this. Shoot. Hopefully I can actually finish the new one in time.