New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: Let's build an Epic Dungeon! Voting Stage: The Dungeon

Dungeon submission is over, people! We are beginning the vote. You may give 1 vote to any of the dungeons on the list. You may find the details about the dungeons on the Obsidian Portal page, or by scanning the thread.

If you have already voted, you must vote again now. Previously cast votes will not be accepted. You may vote for yourself.
    Last edited by Melamoto; 2010-02-06 at 05:09 AM.
    Give me any character, and I will give you a freeform conversion.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Banned

Shameless self vote for A Hellhold Asunder.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

I like a Hellhold Asunder as well... (Voting for it)
    Last edited by Lord Loss; 2010-02-06 at 07:18 AM.
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

I hereby put my vote on Hellhold Asunder - evil, unliving castle for the win!
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

What, and Castle Abomination isn't? Actually, reading it over again, Hellhold Asunder really just sounds like the second part of Castle Abomination.

Anyways, (un)shameful vote for myself. (Castle Abomination, of course)
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2010-02-06 at 09:40 AM.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Bah, Hellhold and abomination are both basically the same idea, fleshed out in opposite directions. well, not opposite, but different.
    Abominations seems inspired by hellhold, though, despite having more presise flavor.

Abomination gets my vote.

(BTW: kept trying to make one myself, little brother kept interupting, and causing me to have to cancel, and loose my train of thought. probably a great big pile of engines off a cliff somewere in my mind... Ooh! that's an idea... but, too late.)
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Bah, Hellhold and abomination are both basically the same idea, fleshed out in opposite directions. well, not opposite, but different.
    Abominations seems inspired by hellhold, though, despite having more presise flavor.

Abomination gets my vote.

(BTW: kept trying to make one myself, little brother kept interupting, and causing me to have to cancel, and loose my train of thought. probably a great big pile of engines off a cliff somewere in my mind... Ooh! that's an idea... but, too late.)
    I just want to note that, while Castle Abomination is rather similar to Hellhold Asunder, I thought up the idea on my own, and in fact didn't even read any other descriptions other than the first one Melamoto posted. Great minds think alike, eh?
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2010-02-06 at 01:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Bugbear in the Playground

I vote for hellhold asunder. It looks like it has the most flexibility. Remember, we're talking about 21+ levels here, things can get boring.

I came this close to voting for Atroxia. All I could think about was an elder scrolls argonian thief having the time of his life (for the first couple levels anyway).

9. - Top - End - #249

Definitely Hellhold Asunder.

10. - Top - End - #250

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: Let's build an Epic Dungeon! Design Stage: Brainstorm!

Well y'all, that voting stage is over, and now we're moving on to deeper stages of dungeon designing. That's right folks: It's Brainstorm time!

During this stage, all those with their heads brimming full of ideas (Who just haven’t been able to contain them so far) can finally submit their monsters, puzzles, NPCs, and other ideas. When posting an idea, you must give a title in bold that is not likely to conflict with other titles. In addition to the title, you must also add a bold label that categorizes the idea under either Monster, Puzzle, NPC, or Other. Any miscellaneous challenges, such as the Zero Gravity Battles idea below, are considered puzzles. There must be enough detail in any given idea so that it if a number of people were to recreate it, the results would all be almost exactly the same. You can post vague ideas if you like, but you cannot include a title, and all credit will go to whoever posts a fully detailed version of your idea. Finally, at the end of the idea, you must place a single (Bolded) number that signifies the level at which the challenge takes place. And please, the dungeon is A Hellhold Asunder, try to make the ideas fit in with it. For example if someone submits an idea that involves celestial protectors that doesn’t have a damn good reason why, I will make them pay in blood.

Some examples of bad moves would be:

Spoiler
    Show
    A Room of Wonder - Puzzle: This is too ambiguously named.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Starred Rod - Item: This is not in any of the given categories.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zero Gravity Battles - Puzzle
    Zero Gravity environments are fun, but sometimes they have to be more than just a long puzzle. So what if a battle was added in the middle? The room would have a zero gravity field around it, and the doors would lock when the players all entered. Then, air elementals would come out and start attacking the players while they tried to figure out how to escape! They would have to deal with a lot of air elementals while still trying to get free from the puzzle, leading to a frantic battle/puzzle combo.

11: This is too ambiguously made. The full solution to the puzzle, number of air elementals, type of air elemental, and all the traps (Including the zero gravity field) should have been given detail. A room size would also have been useful, as well as the method of the door locking.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Duke's Servant - NPC
    A servant of the local duke who has gotten lost and needs help collecting an artifact that was rumoured to exist in the castle: This does not work; the castle has not been there for long, and nobody has any idea what is in there.

A good example would be:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Grue - Puzzle
    Many dark creatures have inhabited the castle over a long period of time, and some of the most evil and devious of these are the Grue. They hang back in the darkness, waiting for prey. They are shadow creatures that cannot live outside of anything short of pitch blackness, but are incredibly dangerous to those who are within their reach. They have taken hold of a long corridor, and have placed a trap with which they may fight their enemies without limit.
    The corridor is 60'x10', and has doors at both ends. The trap is operated by Grue observing the corridor through a tiny slit in the ceiling, which may be spotted with a DC 30 spot check. When (As far as the Grue are aware) all players are inside the room, the trap is activated. Both doors close and lock and all the candles in the room go out. A spell of darkness takes over, extinguishing all non-permanent light sources and suppressing permanent ones after 1 round. Any new light sources are extinguished at the same rate, unless they would otherwise end sooner. Light sources may penetrate the darkness no further than 10', no matter how much light they would normally emit.
    The grue arrive at any given square in the room 1d2+1 rounds after all light has been lost in that square. If any light is shone on the square, the grue flee, and do not return to that square until 1d2+1 rounds after the light has gone. While the grue are in a square near the players, or will shortly be arriving in their squares, the players hear scratching, grunting, and the occasional bout of horrible high pitched laughter. The Grue are always treated as having the highest initiative, and deal 10d6 damage (No save) to anyone who occupies a Grue occupied space at the beginning of the Grue's turn. Most AoE spells have no effect on the grue, unless they create light, in which case all effected squares are treated as having been lit up.
    The corridor may only be escaped either by unlocking one of the doors (DC 20), by breaking the doors down (They are Good Wooden doors), or otherwise finding a way past the doors. The Grue will not leave the corridor unless there is a clear dark path, and the darkness spell only effects the area inside of the corridor. After it seems apparent the players are gone, the grue retreat and release the trap (Turning the lights back on).

You can look up the current ideas on the Obsidian Portal page linked in the OP.

My first submitted idea will be the Grue example above.
    Last edited by Melamoto; 2010-02-14 at 10:19 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251

Are any of you familiar with the Earthdawn series of RPGs

In the book "horrors" there is a particularly vicious Shedim (horror)

That is a dungeon. Think the movie Event horizon but in a fantasy setting.

I can't remember it's name or details and the books aren't on hand at the moment. All I remember is if you go in...you don't come out.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

You know, Castle Abomination and Hellhold Asunder are so similar that you could really use pretty much everything from both and not really lose out on anything. The backstory of Abomination up to it starting to show up on the material plane could very easily be the backstory behind the Hellhold, and then the mages come in and partially force it into the shadow plane, where the Shadar-Kai use their crystal to hold it, or perhaps replace the shadar-kai with the mages, some of whom went through with the banished part of the castle and used the crystal or just their magic to hold it there.

Anyways, this would just be one option for the "What the castle is, what inhabits it, and what its ultimate goals are" that is up for debate.

13. - Top - End - #253

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    You know, Castle Abomination and Hellhold Asunder are so similar that you could really use pretty much everything from both and not really lose out on anything. The backstory of Abomination up to it starting to show up on the material plane could very easily be the backstory behind the Hellhold, and then the mages come in and partially force it into the shadow plane, where the Shadar-Kai use their crystal to hold it, or perhaps replace the shadar-kai with the mages, some of whom went through with the banished part of the castle and used the crystal or just their magic to hold it there.

Anyways, this would just be one option for the "What the castle is, what inhabits it, and what its ultimate goals are" that is up for debate.
    Elements that could have been added to Castle Abomination could also be added just as easily to A Hellhold Asunder, and any ideas that anyone had for it can still be used. However, the current dungeon will stay the current dungeon until one of the later design stages, where we are fleshing out the dungeon. However, the dungeon stays as it is described.
    If you have ideas on how you want the dungeon to be different, then wait until the next stage where you may be chosen as a primary dungeon designer.
    Last edited by Melamoto; 2010-02-08 at 12:37 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Banned

Boneguard - monster
    Spoiler
    Show
    Boneguard
    Large Undead
    Hit Dice: 6d12 (39hp)
    Initiative: +4
    Speed: 30ft.
    AC: 11 (-1 Size, +2 Natural)
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+11
    Attack: Claw +6 (2d6+4 x4)
    Full Attack: 2 Claws +6 (2d6+4 x4) and Bite +4 (1d8+2 x3)
    Space/Reach: 10ft./10ft.
    Special Attacks: Rend (2d6+6)
    Special Qualities: Immune to cold, DR 5/magic & bludgeoning, darkvision 60ft., undead traits
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5
    Abilities: Str 18, Dex 10, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 1
    Feats: Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (Claw), Improved Natural Attack (Bite), Multi-attack
    CR: 5ish
    Alignment: Always Neutral Evil

A bone guard is a large human shaped skeleton with two preying mantis scythe arms instead of human arms. Its skull has three sets of tiny horns and the creature sports two prominent saber fangs in addition to a mouth full of smaller, thinner fangs. It walks hunched forward. Small red flames burn in each eye socket.

Rend (Ex): When a boneguard hits an enemy with both claw attacks in the same full attack action, it can rend.

I estimate its about CR 4-5, so ...5?

Apocalyptic Boneguard - Monster
    Spoiler
    Show

Apocalyptic Boneguard
    Large Undead (Evil)
    Hit Dice: 14d12+70 (157hp)
    Initiative +6
    AC: 19 (-1 Size, +3 Natural, +2 Dex, +5 Profane)
    Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+17
    Attack: Claw +12 (2d6+6+1 con damage x4)
    Full Attack: 2 Claws +12 (2d6+6+1 con damage x4) and Bite +10 (1d8+3+1d6 acid and poison x3)
    Space/Reach: 10ft.
    Special Attacks: Rend (2d6+9+1 con damage), smite good (+14 1/day), spell-like abilities, wounding claws
    Special Qualities: Immune to cold, acid resistance 10, electricity 10, fire 10, DR 10/good, magic, & bludgeoning, SR 24, turn resistance +2, unholy toughness, unholy grace, frightful presence, dark vision 60ft., undead traits
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +9
    Abilities: Str 22, Dex 14, Con -, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 20
    Skills: Concentration +22, Intimidate +22, Hide +15, Listen +17, Move Silently +19, Spot +17
    Feats: Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (Claw), Improved Natural Attack (Bite), Multi-attack, Ability Focus (Poison), Quicken Spell-like Ability (Burning Blood)
    CR: 9ish

An apocalyptic boneguard is a large human shaped skeleton with crimson red bones, two prey mantis scythe arms instead of human arms, a skull ringed in tiny horns, and a fanged mouth with two prominent saber fangs that drip caustic black venom, and a black pentagram on its forehead. It walks hunched forward. Its eye sockets are alight with black flame and have smaller and brighter green or violet flames inside the larger flames.
    An apocalyptic boneguard speaks abyssal, infernal, and celestial.

An apocalyptic boneguard usually surrounds itself with weaker undead to serve as fodder during battle while the boneguard uses its spell-like abilities before wading into melee itself. Given its stealth and perception abilities, an apocalyptic boneguard will often prepare the battlefield ahead of time. It will usually instigate a duel of wills with an opponent if given the opportunity before battle.

Only cultists that seek the end of the world bring apocalyptic boneguards into it. Even necromancers are leery of them. They exist only to separate souls from bodies

Rend (Ex): When an apocalyptic boneguard hits an enemy with both claw attacks in the same full attack action, it can rend.

Poison (Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 19, initial damage 1d6 con, secondary damage 1d6 con

Smite Good (Su): Once per day an apocalyptic boneguard may smite good with a single attack (usually a bite).

Spell-like abilities: As Sorcerer (CL 14th): 3/day: Darkness, Poison, Unholy Aura, Burning Blood. 1/day: Desecrate, Unholy Blight, Contagion, Blasphemy, Unhallow, Fire Shield (warm only, same color as flame pupils).

Wounding Claws (Su): An apocalyptic boneguards claws are treated as if they have the wounding weapon enhancement.

Frightful Presence (Ex): When attacking, DC 22, 30ft., 5d6 rounds.

Unholy Toughness (Ex): Bonus hit points equal to Cha mod x HD.

Unholy Grace (Ex): Profane bonus to AC equal to Cha mod.

I estimate its about CR 9, so...9?

My shout out to icewind dale I & II.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Banned

Boneguard - monster
    Spoiler
    Show
    Boneguard
    Large Undead
    Hit Dice: 6d12 (39hp)
    Initiative: +4
    AC: 11 (-1 Size, +2 Natural)
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+11
    Attack: Claw +6 (2d6+4 x4)
    Full Attack: 2 Claws +6 (2d6+4 x4) and Bite +4 (1d8+2 x3)
    Space/Reach: 10ft./10ft.
    Special Attacks: Rend (2d6+6)
    Special Qualities: Immune to cold, DR 5/magic & bludgeoning, darkvision 60ft., undead traits
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5
    Abilities: Str 18, Dex 10, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 1
    Feats: Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (Claw), Improved Natural Attack (Bite), Multi-attack
    CR: 5ish

A bone guard is a large human shaped skeleton with two preying mantis scythe arms instead of human arms. Its skull has three sets of tiny horns and the creature sports two prominent saber fangs in addition to a mouth full of smaller, thinner fangs. It walks hunched forward. Small red flames burn in each eye socket.

Rend (Ex): When a boneguard hits an enemy with both claw attacks in the same full attack action, it can rend.

I estimate its about CR 4-5, so ...5?

Apocalyptic Boneguard - Monster
    Spoiler
    Show

Apocalyptic Boneguard
    Large Undead (Evil)
    Hit Dice: 14d12+70 (157hp)
    Initiative +6
    AC: 19 (-1 Size, +3 Natural, +2 Dex, +5 Profane)
    Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+17
    Attack: Claw +12 (2d6+6+1 con damage x4)
    Full Attack: 2 Claws +12 (2d6+6+1 con damage x4) and Bite +10 (1d8+3+1d6 acid and poison x3)
    Space/Reach: 10ft.
    Special Attacks: Rend (2d6+9+1 con damage), smite good (+14 1/day), spell-like abilities, wounding claws
    Special Qualities: Immune to cold, acid resistance 10, electricity 10, fire 10, DR 10/good, magic, & bludgeoning, SR 24, turn resistance +2, unholy toughness, unholy grace, frightful presence, dark vision 60ft., undead traits
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +9
    Abilities: Str 22, Dex 14, Con -, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 20
    Skills: Concentration +22, Intimidate +22, Hide +15, Listen +17, Move Silently +19, Spot +17
    Feats: Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (Claw), Improved Natural Attack (Bite), Multi-attack, Ability Focus (Poison), Quicken Spell-like Ability (Burning Blood)
    CR: 9ish

An apocalyptic boneguard is a large human shaped skeleton with crimson red bones, two prey mantis scythe arms instead of human arms, a skull ringed in tiny horns, and a fanged mouth with two prominent saber fangs that drip caustic black venom, and a black pentagram on its forehead. It walks hunched forward. Its eye sockets are alight with black flame and have smaller and brighter green or violet flames inside the larger flames.
    An apocalyptic boneguard speaks abyssal, infernal, and celestial.

An apocalyptic boneguard usually surrounds itself with weaker undead to serve as fodder during battle while the boneguard uses its spell-like abilities before wading into melee itself. Given its stealth and perception abilities, an apocalyptic boneguard will often prepare the battlefield ahead of time. It will usually instigate a duel of wills with an opponent if given the opportunity before battle.

Only cultists that seek the end of the world bring apocalyptic boneguards into it. Even necromancers are leery of them. They exist only to separate souls from bodies

Rend (Ex): When an apocalyptic boneguard hits an enemy with both claw attacks in the same full attack action, it can rend.

Poison (Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 19, initial damage 1d6 con, secondary damage 1d6 con

Smite Good (Su): Once per day an apocalyptic boneguard may smite good with a single attack (usually a bite).

Spell-like abilities: As Sorcerer (CL 14th): 3/day: Darkness, Poison, Unholy Aura, Burning Blood. 1/day: Desecrate, Unholy Blight, Contagion, Blasphemy, Unhallow, Fire Shield (warm only, same color as flame pupils).

Wounding Claws (Su): An apocalyptic boneguards claws are treated as if they have the wounding weapon enhancement.

Frightful Presence (Ex): When attacking, DC 22, 30ft., 5d6 rounds.

Unholy Toughness (Ex): Bonus hit points equal to Cha mod x HD.

Unholy Grace (Ex): Profane bonus to AC equal to Cha mod.

I estimate its about CR 9, so...9?

My shout out to icewind dale I & II.

EDIT: Why don't we use the crystal (my sig)? They are something like 20-epic. Maybe they could be whats left of the circle of archmages, or conversely, agents of the BBEG.

The Crystal(s) - Monster
    The Crystal(s)
    20+

Didn't mean to double post...
    Last edited by Harperfan7; 2010-02-08 at 06:50 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Melamoto View Post
    Elements that could have been added to Castle Abomination could also be added just as easily to A Hellhold Asunder, and any ideas that anyone had for it can still be used. However, the current dungeon will stay the current dungeon until one of the later design stages, where we are fleshing out the dungeon. However, the dungeon stays as it is described.
    If you have ideas on how you want the dungeon to be different, then wait until the next stage where you may be chosen as a primary dungeon designer.
    Oh, I'm not saying we should switch wholesale to Castle Abomination or anything, I was just noting that most to all of the elements of Castle Abomination could work well for many of the areas of A Hellhold Asunder that weren't fleshed out, so I figured I'd throw all of Castle Abomination in as a contribution to the brainstorm.

Also, although this isn't going to be relevant for a while yet, I'll throw myself in as willing and able to convert all the monster stats and such to 4E, once we get closer to finishing this.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2010-02-08 at 07:01 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Banned

Well, this is going nowhere fast.

Wanna start a new thread for the Design Stage?

I think the whole "nine pages" thing is scaring people off.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

Probably a good idea. I'd recommend calling it "Community world-building" or some such as well instead of vote-up, since the voting is largely done, I think?

19. - Top - End - #259

ElfMonkGuy

It might work, but it seems a little unnecessary. We could be losing interest due to the number of pages, but I don't think creating a new thread is really a proportionate response. If this carries on for too long I might do it though.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

The Hen Gardens-puzzle
    Spoiler
    Show

The Hen Gardens are a (seemingly infinite) series of 25x25 foot rooms (5x5 squares), in which several chickens are located. Each room has 3 doors, each in the exact center of it's wall, one in each cardinal direction, exept one. The dirrection without a door is random. When the characters move from one room to another, roll a d4 to determine the direction in which there is no door. If the direction from which the players came is rolled, reroll.
    1: north
    2: south
    3: east
    4: west
    Each room contains 1d4+2 chickens, all females, and one large statue of a chicken in the center. It's facing should always be towards the wall without a door. The statue will have 10 HP, and 14 hardness.
    Should the players backtrack, go in a circle of some sorts, or should a wall be rolled were a door in another room should be, or roll a door were there isn't one in a previous room, ignore any contradictions.
    If a character enters a room he has already been in, reroll for which wall has no door. However, the statue will still face in the same direction as before.
    To solve the Puzzle, enter a door which a chicken statue is facing. This can be solved quickly by moving between two rooms, until the statue in the center faces a door, then moving through the door.
    This puzzle is created by enchanting a single room, 25x25 feet. on a DM's map, the set of rooms only takes up that much space. however, a DM should take notes in the form of a grid, with arrows, as to determine the dirrection a chicken is facing in any given room the players have already been in.
    Level: 1
    note: level may be increased by aplying templates to the chickens, or swaping the chickens for similar creatures.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm, what about something like a ballroom, which has the shadows of various lords and ladies dancing about can be seen, but not the actual lords and ladies. The players themselves don't have any shadows, when they enter the room, but if they step on one of the dancing shadows, it attempts to control their mind and force them to do the dance that the shadow is a shadow of. (if that makes sense)

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Impromptu Skeleton - Monster
    Spoiler
    Show
    Impromptu Skeleton, Small
    Small Undead
    Hit Dice: 4d4 (10hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Armor Class: 15 (+3 Dex, +2 natural), touch 13, flatfooted 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+5
    Attack: Slam +5 melee (1d3+2 plus 1d6 Negative Energy (Fort DC 12 to negate))
    Full Attack: Slam +5 melee (1d3+2 plus 1d6 Negative Energy (Fort DC 12 to negate))
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attack: Can attempt a grapple on a charge, Constrict 1d3+2 plus 1d6 Negative Energy (Fort DC 12 to negate)
    Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/bludgeoning, blindsight 30 ft., immunity to cold, undead traits
    Saves: Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 14, Dex 16, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 1
    Skills: -
    Feats: Improved Grapple
    Enviroment: Negative Energy Plane, places with strong necrotic aura
    Organization: Any
    Challenge Rating: 2?
    Alignment: Always chaotic evil
    Level Adjustement: -

Impromptu Skeletons are piles of random bones animated by chance and held together by massive amounts of Negative Energy - so much, that even slight contact with them is harmful. Dispite their disfigured appearance, they are able to move remakably fast. They tend to jump on living creatures and cling to them. They emit a very faint glow (as if struck by Faerie Fire spell).

Impromptu Skeleton, Large
    Large Undead
    Hit Dice: 8d8+20 (60hp)
    Initiative: +6
    Armor Class: 14 (+2 Dex, +2 natural), touch 12, flatfooted 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+19
    Attack: Tentacle +11 melee (1d8+5 plus 3d6 Negative Energy (Fort DC 15 for half))
    Full Attack: 2 x Tentacle +11 melee (1d8+5 plus 3d6 Negative Energy (Fort DC 15 for half))
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attack: Constrict 1d8+5 plus 3d6 Negative Energy (Fort DC 15 for half)
    Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/bludgeoning, blindsight 60 ft., immunity to cold, undead traits, Improved Grab
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +4
    Abilities: Str 20, Dex 14, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 1
    Feats: Improved Grapple, Improved Initiative
    Organization: Solitary or with packs of Small Impromptu Skeletons
    Challenge Rating: 6/7?

Large Impromtu Skeletons look much like their smaller companions, yet they seem to have no definite structure - all their bones are in constant move. They attack with long tentacle-like structures and grab their opponents if possible. Their sickly green glow lits the surrounding area with dim light (20 ft.).

Bone Chaos - Monster
    Spoiler
    Show

Gargantuan Undead
    Hit Dice: 15d10+40 (123 hp)
    Initiative: +6
    Speed: 15ft.
    Armor Class: 18 (+3 Dex, +5 natural), touch 13, flatfooted 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+28
    Attack: Tentacle +16 melee (2d6+7 plus 4d6 Negative Energy (Fort DC 18 for half))
    Full Attack: 3 x Tentacle +16 melee (2d6+7 plus 4d6 Negative Energy (Fort DC 18 for half))
    Space/Reach: 20 ft./20 ft.
    Special Attack: Constrict 2d6+7 plus 4d6 Negative Energy (Fort DC 18 for half), Swallow Whole & Engulf (both up to 2 Large creatures or equivalent; Constrict damage + 2d6 HP drain (Fort 18 to negate)), Bone Burst (25 ft. burst, 5d6 bludgeoning Ref 16 for half; 1d4 rounds cooldown)
    Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/bludgeoning, blindsight 60 ft., immunity to cold, undead traits, Improved Grab
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +8
    Abilities: Str 24, Dex 16, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 1
    Feats: Improved Grapple, Improved Initiative, Combat Reflexes
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: Nasty, 10/12?

Bone Chaos is a giant roaring whirlwind that sucks in every bone in an area and devours undead and living alike. Flashes of green light dance through it's everchanging body accompanied by an almost deafening sound of bones crashing into each other. After Bone Chaos flings bones around using Bone Burst attack, it takes him a few round to pull those bones back.

Example encounter would be something like this: PCs venture through desacrated catacombs and enter a large hall with heaps of bones partially filling the place. They hear a constant rustling sound coming from about everywere (observant PCs might notice slight movement of the bones). Suddenly all bones start to move toward the center of the hall, where they begin spinning around faster and faster as the whirlwind grows forming a Bone Chaos, which then proceeds to munch out on everything unlucky enough to stand nearby.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

23. - Top - End - #263

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    Hm, what about something like a ballroom, which has the shadows of various lords and ladies dancing about can be seen, but not the actual lords and ladies. The players themselves don't have any shadows, when they enter the room, but if they step on one of the dancing shadows, it attempts to control their mind and force them to do the dance that the shadow is a shadow of. (if that makes sense)
    The Ballroom - Puzzle
    Spoiler
    Show
    The room is a large hall, 50'x30' in size. When the players enter, the following scene is described to them:
    The room is a large hall, with marble walls, statues, and a polished floor. There is a great door at the other end of the hall, at the top of a pair of winding staircases. There is a large chandelier hanging from the ceiling. As you look around some more, you can see the shadows of well dressed men and women dancing together. However, the room is empty, the shadows have no source. Another disturbing thing of note, is that you notice that none of you yourselves have shadows.
    If a player steps onto a shadow, then he must make a DC 14 Will Save, or be forced to dance alongside the shadow, becoming it's new source. The effect will not end until the person is removed from the room. They will make all attempts to avoid being moved as long as it does not stop the dance.
    If a player casually walks across the room, there is a 25% chance the player will step on a shadow for every 20' he moves.
    If the chandelier is destroyed, then the room loses it's only light source, turning it pitch black unless alternative light is supplied. All shadows disappear, and anybody who was under the effect of the shadows is released.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, what about a swarm of Purple Worms, later on in the dungeon, that have taken to feeding off the dessicated remains of some part of the castle, like over-sized maggots? You'd have the normal purple worms and in addition a couple larger ones hopped up on necrotic energy.

At first, the players would mostly try to avoid the place, and maybe have to deal with the odd stray worm that felt them moving about the castle or fighting something else. Eventually, the players would find out that they need to get at the organ that the worms are feeding off of for whatever reason, at which point they would have to either sneak in, or find some way to distract the worms, or even just try to kill them all if they're feeling ballsy.

25. - Top - End - #265

I just found out about this project, so I thought I'd add a deadly encounter or two.

Here's what I've got so far:

Hall of Deathshades - Other
    Spoiler
    Show

The hallway is 70 feet long and 10 feet wide. The floor is covered in rubble making it difficult terrain. A flickering torch is inset every twenty feet along the wall. The lighting is dim. When the players enter, the following scene is described to them:
    A long, rubble-strewn hallway extends before you. Despite the flickering torches inset every twenty feet along the walls, the light is quite dim. You can make out engravings on the walls.

This innocent-looking hallway is actually a fiendish death-trap. Three advanced shadows are hiding in the walls 10 feet away from the hall. If they hear the PCs walking through the hall, they will attack.

Creatures: 3 Advanced Shadows
    Spoiler
    Show
    Advanced Shadow
    Medium Undead (Incorporeal)
    HD 6d12 (38)
    Speed 40 ft. fly (good) (8 squares)
    Init: +2
    AC 14 (+2 Dex, +2 Deflection); touch 14; flat-footed 12
    BAB +3; Grp -
    Attack Incorporeal touch + 5 Melee (1d6 STR)
    Full-Attack Incorporeal touch + 5 Melee (1d6 STR)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks Create Spawn, Strength Damage
    Special Qualities Darkvision 60ft, incorporeal traits, +2 turn resistance, undead traits
    Saves Fort +2 Ref +4 Will +6
    Abilities Str -, Dex 14, Con -, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 14
    Skills Hide +8, Listen +7, Search +4, Spot +7, Tumble +4
    Feats Alertness, Dodge, Flyby attack
    Environment Any
    Organization Solitary, gang (2-5), or swarm (6-11)
    Challenge Rating 3
    Treasure None
    Alignment Always Chaotic Evil
    Advancement 7-9 (Medium)
    Level Adjustment --

Combat

Shadows lurk in dark places, waiting for living prey to happen by.

Strength Damage (Su)
    The touch of a shadow deals 1d6 points of Strength damage to a living foe. A creature reduced to Strength 0 by a shadow dies. This is a negative energy effect.

Create Spawn (Su)
    Any humanoid reduced to Strength 0 by a shadow becomes a shadow under the control of its killer within 1d4 rounds.

Skills
    Shadows have a +2 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks and a +4 racial bonus on Search checks. *A shadow gains a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks in areas of shadowy illumination. In brightly lit areas, it takes a -4 penalty on Hide checks.

Tactics:
    The shadows are incorporeal and have flyby attack. On their turns they fly out of the wall, attack the nearest PC, then fly back into the safety of the wall.

Challenge Level: ?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly, I'm not quite sure what level of PCs should be able to not get completely slaughtered by this encounter. Probably somewhere between Level 5 and 9. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

26. - Top - End - #266

ElfMonkGuy

The Shadows themselves total at CR 7, and then you have to add the situational CR bonus, which I'd put at +2. So I'd personally reckon CR 9. Never been good at judging things like that though, so I wouldn't trust myself on it.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

One thing, I'm not so great with 3.5 in general, and never have, but I can definitely whip up some mean 4E creatures with interesting abilities. Would it be possible for someone to then convert these into appropriate 3.5 monsters?

Either that, or I just keep throwing out random vague ideas, like "Rot Trolls", or "Ashen Phoenix", with a brief description of what their special abilties and such might be, and then let someone else stat them out.

28. - Top - End - #268

Quote Originally Posted by Melamoto View Post
    The Shadows themselves total at CR 7, and then you have to add the situational CR bonus, which I'd put at +2. So I'd personally reckon CR 9. Never been good at judging things like that though, so I wouldn't trust myself on it.
    That sounds about right.

29. - Top - End - #269

Well, this is supposed to be a dangerous campaign at lower levels so...

That Damn Fiendish Crab - Creature
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Fiendish Monstrous Crab
    Large Magical Beast(Aquatic)
    Hit Dice: 7d10+35 (74 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), swim 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 19 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +8 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 17
    Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+25
    Attack: Claw +12 melee (1d8+9)
    Full Attack: 2 claws +12 melee (1d8+9)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Constrict 1d8+9, improved grab, powerful claws, Smite Good 1/day (+7 Damage)
    Special Qualities: Amphibious, darkvision 60 ft., DR 5/magic, Cold and Fire resistance 5, SR 12
    Saves: Fort +10, Ref +7, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 22, Dex 14, Con 21, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 2
    Skills: Spot +10
    Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple, Combat Reflexes
    Environment: Hellhold
    Organization: Solitary, pair, or swarm (6-10)
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always Evil
    Advancement: 8-10 HD (Large), 11-21 HD (Huge)
    Level Adjustment: --

Combat

Constrict (Ex): With a successful grapple check, a monstrous crab can crush a grabbed opponent, dealing 1d8+9 points of bludgeoning damage.

Improved Grab (Ex): If a monstrous crab hits an opponent that is at least one size category smaller than itself with a claw attack, it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it gets a hold, it also constricts on the same round.

Powerful Claws (Ex): A monstrous crab always applies 1.5 times its Strength modifier to damage inflicted with its claws. Additionally, it gains a +4 racial bonus on grapple checks.

CR: 4

It's that damn crab, all fiended up for the hellhold!

In some ways this is even sillier than the original (SR, DR, Higher Grapple, Feats, more HP), but it does have a weakness that the original Damn Crab lacked (mind affecting spells).

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm...

Bridges of Bone-Puzzle
    Spoiler
    Show

The Bridges of Bone are located in a single room, with a size of 60x60 feet, and about 3 stories high, with a bottomless pit for a floor. This results from a rift in the castle, from the incomplete spell, in a place were the effect was more wholly concentrated, but the castle did not fall through.
    4 tall pillars rise from the pit, with several platforms carven into each. each pillar is 10x10 feet, and each platform is 5x5 feet. Long bridges formed of collosal back-bones stretch between platforms. On entering, a party has this scene described to them:
    You stand on a ledge, the floor beyond you seeming to not exist, and yet still visible in patches that seem to fade in and out of existance. A long, thick backbone, of some beast of ages gone by, with rotting ropes interwoven into it, is bolted to the single ledge on which you stand. The other end rises way up, to the top of one of four massive pillars you can see rising out of the floor. You can see several ledges and gaps in the pillars. Several more backbones stretch between these ledges and gaps, as if they were designed as bridges.
    When the last member of the party steps off a bridge, in snaps and crumbles behind them. Each platform in a pillar has two bridges stretching from it. each pillar top has four. this includes the bridge from which the party may come from. The bridges are as follows:
    Spoiler
    Show

East door-east pillar top
    east pillar top-north platform A
    east pillar top-south pillar top
    east pillar top-north platform B
    North platform A-west platform A
    north platform B-North door
    west platform A-north pillar top
    south pillar top-east platform A
    south pillar top-north platform C
    south pillar top-west platform B
    north pillar top-west platform B
    north pillar top-east platform B
    north pillar top-south platform A
    north platform C-west pillar top
    east platform A-west platform C
    east platform B-west pillar top
    south platform A-south door
    west pillar top-west door
    west pillar top-west platform C

On each pillar top is a key. each key corresponds to the opposite door.
    to enter the room, from any door, requires a lockpick check of DC 17. each door has the same lock DC, a hardness of 30, and 5 HP.
    Flying may get you from door to door, which is a solution, or figuring out a path between two doors, may grant a one-time solution. By reinforcing the bridges, using 50 feet of rope, and a DC 9 Use Rope check, or by using 300 gp of metal materials, a bridge can be prevented from breaking for 1d4+3 weeks. however, in order to reinforce all off the bridges, a lot of materials must be used.
    Should the players try to put their trust into the phasing floor, it funtions as a normal floor, only with each 5 feet they move, there is a 50% chance they will fall through, into a 3000 ft. deep pit. at the bottom, is a group of nine large gelatinous cubes, each 20x20x20 feet, which break the characters falls. However, there is no path back up, and should they find a way to get up, they will have entered a representation of the castle in the astral plane.

Last edited by flabort; 2010-02-11 at 08:36 PM.

Spoiler
    Show