New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default CoA VI: Siege of Despair

1068 Anno Domini, the city of Eisenhof (somewhere in the eastern reaches of the Holy Roman Empire)

"The hordes of the east have laid siege to our glorious city. They wish to sack Eisenhof and take that which we swore to protect 800 years ago when the Romans brought it here, buried it, and built this city on top of it. It's beckoning to our enemies, and it's beckoning to the weak-willed souls within the city. It's more powerful than ever.

As if things weren't bad enough as they are, the guardsmen reported riots in the poor district. A strange sickness is spreading there and people are becoming restless.

Have mercy on us all."

-Marcus the Bold, Captain of the Keepers

So, it's time for another game of CoA. This time you're operatives working for various secret societies, governments and other organizations in a medieval setting. Each faction wishes to acquire the ancient artifact of power buried beneath the city, but you can accomplish that only though eliminating everyone else looking for it. The combat scenes take place on the battlements, rooftops, and streets of the city, and in the catacombs below.

The rules are the same as before, but this time I'll try to write a more consistent and interesting story that evolves with the characters and their actions. Roleplaying is - as before - encouraged.

Required information about your character
    Name:
    Description:
    Skills: (a spoilered list)

The secret may be of one of the following types:
    * Weakness
    * Secret affiliation or identity

Send the secret to me and Grim_ranger in a PM.

Rules
    Spoiler
    Show

I Character creation

1. Post your character's name and a description in the recruitment thread.
    1.1 The name should be appropriate for the theme of the game.
    1.2 The description should include at least the character's favored method of killing. Other details on his appearance, personality and modus operandi are also appreciated.
    2. Send the Narrators your character's secret in a PM. What the secret is depends on the theme of the game, but it is usually a secret identity or vulnerability.

Secret: PM this to me: do NOT post it on the game thread. This may be a skeleton in your character's closet or an actual physical weakness.

II The game round

1. The Narrators post a list of all remaining characters, and a list of secrets that are connected to those characters.
    2. Send the Narrators a PM with a guess. If you can guess correctly which secret belongs to which character, that character dies at the end of the round. Write your guess in the following format: [character] is [secret]
    2.1 Once you've sent your PM, you cannot change your guess. The only exception to this rule is that if your target is invalid, you can change your target.
    2.2 You can only target characters and secrets listed by the Narrators.
    2.3 You cannot target your own character, but you can target your character's secret.
    2.4 The deaths occur simultaneously, and thus it is possible for two characters to kill each other, or even for all remaining characters to die on the same round.
    2.5 If two or more players kill the same target, it counts as an assisted kill for each of the players.
    2.6 If you don't send a PM to the Narrators, or your PM does not have a valid guess in it, you are considered to be absent on that round. Two consecutive absences result in auto-elimination.
    2.7 You are allowed to send your guess in advance if you know you'll otherwise be absent on a round. You may include conditions as necessary to avoid choosing an invalid target.
    3. You may roleplay your character in the game thread. It is not obligatory, but it is recommended.
    4. You may make pacts with other players. A pact may be public (made in the game thread) or secret (made in PMs). In either case, any such pacts are non-binding.
    5. When 48 hours (2 days) have passed or everyone has sent in their PMs, the Narrators narrate the deaths and lists all guesses made that round. The guesses are listed in the following format: [character A]: [character B] is [secret]. Hits are bolded.
    6. The Narrators checks how many players are left.
    6.1 If there are no characters alive, the game is over and there is no winner.
    6.2 If there is one character left, that player wins the game. If there are two characters left, the one with more kills wins; if it's still a tie, unassisted kills determine the winner.
    6.3 If there are three or more characters left, a new round begins.

Players
    Nehh - Martino Solvaretti
    billtodamax - Ronald Goodfellow
    Random_person - Paul Smith
    Sanity702 - Bazook
    smuchmuch - Al Er Zhabir
    Deathslayer7 - ?
    calar - ?
    Last edited by Kensen; 2010-05-18 at 08:22 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: CoA VI:

In, will post a character concept latter today,

more like later this week as I have stuff to do today and tom....
    Last edited by Wizibirb; 2010-05-12 at 03:50 PM.
    I am alive!

It has been a very very long time.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: CoA VI:

in as well
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: CoA VI: Siege of Despair

In!

Name: Martino Solvaretti
    Description: Tall, lean and old, Martino was (and still is) one of the best opera singers in this side of Germany. Hearing tales of the artifact beneath the city, he started looking for it in a place he knew all too well as a young stagehand: the cellars of the local stage where he performs to the masses. He spends his evenings making a tunnel from down there to the maze where the treasure is hidden, coming back up in time for his performance on stage. This routine has been kept up for the past while, and intends to keep it until he has succeeded.

Skills:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charming Singer: Even after all these years, his song is so beautiful some people hearing it just have to stay and watch until it has finished.

Shattering Note: His voice can reach notes so high they can break glasses and really annoy dogs.

Overpowering Stage Life: Martino has spent so much time on stage that he cannot leave his life as an opera star now. He knows routes by which he can get from anywhere i the town to the left stage entrance in a matter of minutes.
    Last edited by Nehh; 2010-05-15 at 11:02 PM.
    There is no spoon.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

In of course, character to be posted much later.
    I shall spread the buttery light of justice over the toast of your iniquity!

Fight my brute.
    Brutes too boring? Try this one.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Name: Ronald Goodfellow
    Description: A rather skinny man, he's slightly below average in height as well. He wears a green tunic with small amounts of leather padding/protection.

In fact, he seems completely ill-suited to being an assassin.

But he has one thing that other competitors lack.

Siege weapons.

He's one of the proud few that man this fine cities' siege weapons, and the only one that thought to turn them inwards. He's heard about this artifact from a rather drunk member of a secret society during slurred conversation, along with the knowledge that a number of other factions sought to secure it for themselves.

He toiled night and day to put inconspicuous siege weapons on every rooftop he could find, sneaking off whenever he had a spare second.

And now he plans to use them to defend himself from the other treasure hunters.
    Skills:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Network of Siege Weapons: On most rooftops he'll have some form of siege weapon stationed, and there's practically nowhere in the city safe from his weapons.

Ballista, Trebuchet, Catapult, these and more. There were even a couple of battering rams holed away 'just in case'.

Siege Weapon Operator: He can operate each and every weapon he's built with astounding accuracy.

Surprise Surprise.

A Bunch Of Mates: He has a bunch of people he can call upon to help him use his weapons, usually in return for some booze.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and in.
    Last edited by billtodamax; 2010-05-15 at 03:12 AM.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

In, with a plan. A plan that will make you all tremble in fear...

Nah, just in.

Name: Paul Smith

Description: A nondescript man, in nondescript clothes, with a nondescript mob lined up behind him...

Paul Smith is a leader of men, and that's just about all that anyone knows about him. He'll turn up one day, rally a mob the next, and leave a scene of destruction behind him as he vanishes on the third. Except that this time, he's playing for a prize...

Spoiler
    Show
    Charismatic: Paul could sell a piece of string for a castle. Hell, Paul could make you give him a castle, and throw in your eldest daughter's hand in marriage.

Speaker: Paul can make a man lay down his life for any cause. Hell, Paul can make a man lay down his life for no cause in particular.

Stealthy: Paul can vanish on a crowded street with ease. Hell, Paul can vanish on an empty street (although an empty field might present a problem).
    Last edited by Fortuna; 2010-05-18 at 04:06 AM.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

8. - Top - End - #8

Alright, three characters submitted, another three spots reserved.

Keep 'em coming.

9. - Top - End - #9

NecromancerGirl

Name -
    Bazook the Inconspicuous Assassin in Training. Or as he is better known as
    B.I.A.T.

Description -
    B.I.A.T. is tall standing at a grand total of 6'5'' he has long arms and is often described as lanky, and uncoordinated. He does not blend in well and has no talents when it comes to stealth. Once given a job he does his best to see it through though his targets generally can see/ and hear him coming from a mile away.

Abilities -
    Spoiler
    Show

Long shot - when he takes aim with his bow it is often a disaster as no one is safe within a 5 block radius. He often hits others than his intended target....

Inconspicuous nature - B.I.A.T. often tries to blend into a crowd only to fail miserably he could not hide in plain sight if his life depended on it. However he has convinced himself that he is the best at blending in with his surroundings.

Master of daggers - B.I.A.T. signature is often a dagger kill he loves to use daggers and enjoys the feel of one in his hand... their is simply one problem. He is only halfway competent with daggers and as such often ends up cutting himself more times than his target. That is not to say he does not succeed with them.... they are after all his best weapons.
    I am alive!

It has been a very very long time.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Mphh. I suppose I should join what with having been in every freaking CoA in these forums.

Al Er Zhabir
    The mysterious oriental mage

Al er Zhabir is a great wizzard from the unknown Orient, bearer of ancient wisdom beyond the comprehension of ordinary mortals wich he dispenses to those rich enough to afford his services. His purposes are as myterious as his way but many fear him for he is the owner of many an item of poiwer and the weilder of deadly mystical power.
    .. or maybe he's just a really cunning conman who is looking to get rich and powerfull by exlpoiting the credulity of rich imbeciles and is good at making wise and mystical sounding crap, whose main talent is to stab you in the back while you are distracted by tricks in front

Wichever version you may choose to believe, there is no denying he is someone to be reckoned with and a deadly foe to cross... or maybe he's just a wuss who is taling avantage og the tendency people have to beleive any kind of crap.

Abilities:
    Spoiler
    Show

His voice can command the mind of men and the forces of nature themselves !
    Some might say he is a sneaky bluffing weasel, one hell of a smooth liar and pretty good with disguises too.

Divination: Using his connection in the mystical netherworld, the great mage can predict bad events from the future. Or maybe it's more like connection to the criminal underworld to make bad event catastrophy happen when it's usefull.

Spells: The terrible wizzard can launch many an hex or curse to kill his deadly foe. It is said he can also iuncenerate you with hellish flames and the powerof elements. Somme more pragmatic people will say cold caculating smarts with a good knowlege of alchemy and poisons can go a loong way.

And finaly when all is said and done, when you are finaly cornered against the wall, that everybody has failed, well...being half decent with a dagger good reflexes and running very fast alway helps.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2010-05-18 at 03:41 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

11. - Top - End - #11

Post #1 updated with a list of players. Five characters submitted, two more players have posted interest. So there's room for at least three more players.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Name: Sir Maximus Crowyll
    Description: Tall, lean and muscular. He stands at an even 6' 0'' and weighs a good 215 lbs. He has no fat on him and his muscles bulge out of the tight clothes he wears. He's a fighter through and through and loves battle.

Skills:
    Spoiler
    Show

Weapon Mastery: Give him a cup, it becomes a weapon. Give him a table, it is a shield. Let him use his fists, you have a small chance. Whatever it is, if it's useable as a weapon, he can and will make it hurt.

Leadership: Sir Maximus courage is aawe-inspiring, often having the effects go onto others. He can give courage and take it away. Often just seeing Maximus covered in blood with a sword in hand yelling can make enemy soldiers run or cower in fear. On the other end, he can inspire his own troops to fight fearlessly.

General: Having fought in battles and knowing how they work, he is an expert tactician with a sharp mind.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.