New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground L

I have an idea.

Unfortunately the backstory is going to be absolutely ridiculous. We're talking Zoolander level here.
    Illumian Dread Necromancer Lich avatar by Tinymushroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...

Blood~

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSerpent View Post
    I have an idea.

Unfortunately the backstory is going to be absolutely ridiculous. We're talking Zoolander level here.
    you've got my vote for HM if you actually write derek zoolander.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #63

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    you've got my vote for HM if you actually write derek zoolander.
    Well, currently - without revealing too much - the word "murderhobo" could describe him pretty well.
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...

Blood~

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSerpent View Post
    Well, currently - without revealing too much - the word "murderhobo" could describe him pretty well.
    So he's PC material then ?
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting choice.

I like the concept of the PrC, but I have to agree with others in saying that many, if not most, of it's class features are pretty poorly defined.

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    So he's PC material then ?
    Yep!

Only problem is that unless I can find a rule interpretation, he'll be more-or-less limited to one specific race which'll make him setting-specific.

Important question. Regarding the Prophetic depravity trait, it states you suffer the effects of continuous nightmares. This would result in being constantly exhausted and gaining infinite amounts of depravity (as of page 54 HoH - as there is no way to lift or prevent the nightmares, there is no relief from them, and so the DC to avoid depravity continues scaling upwards).

Considering this is vital to my character idea, this seems slightly out of wack with the rest of the minor depravity penalties. What is the Chairman's decision regarding this?
    Last edited by GreenSerpent; 2013-10-08 at 06:46 PM.

Blood~

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

So...taint...I did not expect that.

This PRC is full BAB, Cha-focused, somewhat fear-oriented, and has debuffing spells on its class list. I will fall to my knees and sing praises to the gods of optimization if the contestants Vizzini themselves out of any combination of: Paladin, Hexblade, Blackguard, and Binder.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    <snip>
    Give me a day to think on it - I believe the RAI is to mean a single monster (like Human, Aboleth, Red Dragon, etc...), but that seems extraordinarily limiting.
    I vote for it to be a type like aberration, humanoid, ooze etc. The other interpretations make Sworn Enemy kind of useless. You did say you wanted this to be a break right? .

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by 123456789blaaa View Post
    I will fall to my knees and sing praises to the gods of optimization if the contestants Vizzini themselves out of any combination of: Paladin, Hexblade, Blackguard, and Binder.
    Get singing. Mine can, with a little rejigging, involve none of them at all. It'd tank the saves a bit though.

Blood~

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

I also got around using the most restrictive reading of sworn enemy and for that I am happy.

Still, shenanigans, so many shenanigans.
    Last edited by thethird; 2013-10-08 at 07:15 PM.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Last round and this round there have been a rash of "comments that should not be". As a reminder, here's a rather important bit of the OP:

Speculation: Please don't post or speculate on possible builds until the "reveal," in order to avoid spoiling the surprise if a particular competitor is producing a build along those lines.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

grim resolve not stacking with similar abilities is really rustling my jimmies.

I know their intention was to throw entrants a bone and say "hey you don't have to force yourself to get cha to saves some other way"

but what they failed to consider was that some of us might actually like a little bit of cha as a side dish to our cha.

oh well, back to the drawing board. sorry, (redacted), maybe next time I'll be able to throw you in the mix.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    Last round and this round there have been a rash of "comments that should not be". As a reminder, here's a rather important bit of the OP:
    Thanks for re(re-re-re-etc)-posting that reminder. Sometimes you'd like it in giant moving script in the OP, you know?
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I shall keep this in mind. *salutes*

Still have no idea what I want to go with so far, except that I want to really dig through all my available materials and I want to test the Count's words there. I don't even like any of those classes, so avoiding them is a lot easier.
    Spoiler: Sigs about the Internet and Life
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacior
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

Awesome Holy Knight Haluesen avatar done by the uber skilled Grinner!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

So...taint...I did not expect that.

This PRC is full BAB, Cha-focused, somewhat fear-oriented, and has debuffing spells on its class list. I will fall to my knees and sing praises to the gods of optimization if the contestants Vizzini themselves out of any combination of: Paladin, Hexblade, Blackguard, and Binder.
    Please see section of SI which has specific synergy with at least one of these classes at the bottom of Page 89 in HoH.

This is an interesting enough SI that I might actually submit an entry for the first time since... well... I think I submitted one for Scion of Tem Et Nu or something (was a Shadowcaster/Ranger entry, since Scion was like the ONLY class which actually advanced Shadowcaster casting at full BAB), but haven't been too active lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Please see section of SI which has specific synergy with at least one of these classes at the bottom of Page 89 in HoH.

This is an interesting enough SI that I might actually submit an entry for the first time since... well... I think I submitted one for Scion of Tem Et Nu or something (was a Shadowcaster/Ranger entry, since Scion was like the ONLY class which actually advanced Shadowcaster casting at full BAB), but haven't been too active lately.
    I know about that section. I can't see the point you're making though. Could you state it directly?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

I know about that section. I can't see the point you're making though. Could you state it directly?
    I believe that ShneekyTheLost is referring to specific benefits that members (or former members) of at least one class mentioned by you gain once they take levels in Corrupt Avenger. Making it a (potentially) obvious choice, and therefore rendering it off-limits by those Vizzini'ing themselves.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2013-10-08 at 10:40 PM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

17. - Top - End - #77

I know I said the same thing last time and ended up not participating, but... I've got a build all planned out. Let's hope the Chairman's ruling doesn't make me need to throw it out.

This being said, I feel like I must ask: what is Vizzini'ing?
    Spoiler: ICitP Participations
    Show

L - Corrupt Avenger - Brooswayn Scourgesoul (4th)
    LI - Black Flame Zealot - Anubis (SILVER)

Blackguard Avatar from Cealocanth

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by yougi View Post
    I know I said the same thing last time and ended up not participating, but... I've got a build all planned out. Let's hope the Chairman's ruling doesn't make me need to throw it out.

Vizzini'ing: from Vizzini (of Princess Bride Fame).
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizzini
    Vizzini: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
    In other words, you want to do something, but you think everyone else will do it (and thus cost you originality points) so you don't. But everyone thinks the same way, and thus no one selects the "obvious" option.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2013-10-08 at 11:27 PM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

vizzini in action

to convince yourself that others will use an ingredient because it's obvious, so you shouldn't use it.

then figure opponents will follow a similar thought proceess so you should not use that ingredient

then figure your opponents will assume you had puzzled this out, so you are safe using it

yoyo between these till you pick a position. like vizzini you're always wrong.

Iron Chef Medals!

20. - Top - End - #80

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    Vizzini'ing: from Vizzini (of Princess Bride Fame).

In other words, you want to do something, but you think everyone else will do it (and thus cost you originality points) so you don't. But everyone thinks the same way, and thus no one selects the "obvious" option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    vizzini in action

to convince yourself that others will use an ingredient because it's obvious, so you shouldn't use it.

then figure opponents will follow a similar thought proceess so you should not use that ingredient

then figure your opponents will assume you had puzzled this out, so you are safe using it

yoyo between these till you pick a position. like vizzini you're always wrong.
    And now that I've publicly proven that I haven't seen the movie, I guess I'll have to stop using Montoya's line all the time for no reason. At least, until I watch it.

Thanks to the both of you for enlightening me on that.
    Spoiler: ICitP Participations
    Show

L - Corrupt Avenger - Brooswayn Scourgesoul (4th)
    LI - Black Flame Zealot - Anubis (SILVER)

Blackguard Avatar from Cealocanth

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

And now that I've publicly proven that I haven't seen the movie, I guess I'll have to stop using Montoya's line all the time for no reason. At least, until I watch it.

Thanks to the both of you for enlightening me on that.
    no problem. it's a 26 year old movie, so it shouldn't be very expensive to acquire a copy through legitimate means. you can probably even get the 25th anniversary edition if you want commentary and stuff.

you're quite welcome

Iron Chef Medals!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Of course the counter to vizzini is to submit two builds. One is the obvious move, now you're not aiming to win with this build but rather to reduce the originality score of everyone else. The other is the original build.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

23. - Top - End - #83
    Banned

Devil

Yay for 54 entries.

Is there any way to voluntarily turn off the Taint Suppression outside of going into a tainted area?

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Yay for 54 entries.
    Well I don't know if I could enter that many in the time frame given . . .

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    Give me a day to think on it - I believe the RAI is to mean a single monster (like Human, Aboleth, Red Dragon, etc...), but that seems extraordinarily limiting.
    For what it's worth, I'm also in favor of using the PHB favored enemy chart. It's clean, easy to understand, and isn't so limiting as to be a mostly pointless ability. (I would be against allowing it to utilize the various alternate favored enemy options, like arcanists).

Not that this is a democracy or anything, just sayin'.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

For what it's worth, I'm also in favor of using the PHB favored enemy chart. It's clean, easy to understand, and isn't so limiting as to be a mostly pointless ability. (I would be against allowing it to utilize the various alternate favored enemy options, like arcanists).

Not that this is a democracy or anything, just sayin'.
    Even though sworn foe gives us the cityscape hated organization ACF.

Iron Chef Medals!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Is there a source where I can check if something has been updated from 3.0 to 3.5?

I finally came up with something.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Banned

Devil

There is a site called dndtools which often (but not always) provides links to other sources of the same feat; I used it in the last round to ensure that I had the most up to date reading of Thrall to Demon, for example.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So, you're asking for an INCREASED amount of speculation on builds? Really?
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    So, you're asking for an INCREASED amount of speculation on builds? Really?
    I did not understand the point Shneeky was making at all. Was it related to speculation on the builds? I didn't know and I didn't even think of it. So if my request for clarification could have led to increased speculation, I can only plead ignorance. It was not intentional.
    Last edited by 123456789blaaa; 2013-10-09 at 06:37 PM.