New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

Quote Originally Posted by InkisRatticus View Post
    Thank you for posting this, it is a DM's dream.
    Heh... Thanks! I'm glad you like it! I hope you get to enjoy it with your friends (and tell me how it goes!).
    Homebrew Stuff:

2. - Top - End - #332
    Dwarf in the Playground

My suggestion would be to just make it the bruised a status condition. -2 to all Dex and Str checks.
    This is Foxglove:

DM - Recruiting for From Buried Towers to Wings on High (3.5 e6, Kobolds, Quest to become Dragons)

Spoiler: My Games:
    Show

DM - Horrors, Pestilence, and Death OoC / IC
    Player - Reset, Reboot, And Try Again IC / OoC

3. - Top - End - #333
    Pixie in the Playground

I was wondering if you could evaluate what I came up with. I think I followed things correctly, but I'm not exactly sure.
    I'm attempting to design something similar to a naginata but with a heavy pommel at the end that can be used like a maul.

Base: Exotic Two-Handed Slashing; 1d8 19-20/x2; Craft Points: 6
    Base Side A Slashing 1d8 19-20/x2 Base Side B Bludgeoning 2d6 20/x2
    Modification Description Craft Point Modification Description Craft Point
    Double A double weapon 1 Double A double weapon 1
    Finesse Usable with Weapon Finesse 1 Finesse Usable with Weapon Finesse 1
    Improved Critical Multiplier Increase critical multiplier by +1 3 Improved Critical Multiplier Increase critical multiplier by +1 3
    Improved Critical Threat Increase threat range by 1 increment 3 Improved Critical Threat Increase threat range by 1 increment 3
    Alternate Damage Type Piercing 0 Reduced Damage Die Decrease damage die by 1 category -2
    Reach Strike opponents 10ft away 0
    Reduced Damage Die Decrease damage die by 1 category -2
    Final Side A Slashing or Piercing 1d6 18-20/x3 Final Side B Bludgeoning 1d8 19-20/x3
    Last edited by Egeslean; 2018-03-17 at 09:04 AM.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InkisRatticus View Post
    My suggestion would be to just make it the bruised a status condition. -2 to all Dex and Str checks.
    Hmmm... That's actually a good idea!
    Homebrew Stuff:

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Egeslean View Post
    I was wondering if you could evaluate what I came up with. I think I followed things correctly, but I'm not exactly sure.
    I'm attempting to design something similar to a naginata but with a heavy pommel at the end that can be used like a maul.

Base: Exotic Two-Handed Slashing; 1d8 19-20/x2; Craft Points: 6
    Base Side A Slashing 1d8 19-20/x2 Base Side B Bludgeoning 2d6 20/x2
    Modification Description Craft Point Modification Description Craft Point
    Double A double weapon 1 Double A double weapon 1
    Finesse Usable with Weapon Finesse 1 Finesse Usable with Weapon Finesse 1
    Improved Critical Multiplier Increase critical multiplier by +1 3 Improved Critical Multiplier Increase critical multiplier by +1 3
    Improved Critical Threat Increase threat range by 1 increment 3 Improved Critical Threat Increase threat range by 1 increment 3
    Alternate Damage Type Piercing 0 Reduced Damage Die Decrease damage die by 1 category -2
    Reach Strike opponents 10ft away 0
    Reduced Damage Die Decrease damage die by 1 category -2
    Final Side A Slashing or Piercing 1d6 18-20/x3 Final Side B Bludgeoning 1d8 19-20/x3
    Everything seems to be in order.

Thanks for using my system. I hope you like it!
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2018-03-17 at 11:54 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

6. - Top - End - #336
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Everything seems to be in order.

Thanks for using my system. I hope you like it!
    I do, it's fun to come up with ideas that aren't in the standard weapons.

I do have two questions though: The improved critical modifications, it doesn't say that they can be taken more than once, but on a 18-20 if it were taken again, would it become a 17-20 or 16-20, how many craft points would you say it should cost for the second application?

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Egeslean View Post
    I do have two questions though: The improved critical modifications, it doesn't say that they can be taken more than once, but on a 18-20 if it were taken again, would it become a 17-20 or 16-20, how many craft points would you say it should cost for the second application?
    Honestly... I wouldn't allow it. Improved Critical Threat is already one of the most powerful modifications. Adding it twice would completely unbalance it.

If you really, really, REALLY had to, I'd make it... It should increase to 17-20 and cost not only 3 cp, but also a 3 cp flaw (which gives no extra cp). But again: I wouldn't allow it. 18-20 is already really good and considerably stronger than most other modifications. And that's before the character takes Improved Critical or something...
    Homebrew Stuff:

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't recall where, but I do remember seeing math done on a Keen rapier that was allowed to stack with Improved Crit. I believe it was compared to a typical greatsword user and it still noticably lagged behind the greatsword until about 15ish where it's damage starting coming close. I wish I still had the resource.
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2018-03-18 at 12:42 AM.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuadraticGish View Post
    I don't recall where, but I do remember seeing math done on a Keen rapier that was allowed to stack with Improved Crit. I believe it was compared to a typical greatsword user and it still noticably lagged behind the greatsword until about 15ish where it's damage starting coming close. I wish I still had the resource.
    I think you may be thinking of a rant by Sean K Reynolds:
    seankreynolds
    .com/rpgfiles/rants/keenimprovedcritstacking.html

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

To avoid going on a rant, let's just say that I'm not convinced by SKR's argument...
    Homebrew Stuff:

11. - Top - End - #341
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Random mini-rant: Dude, your systems are too good! While I haven't devoted as much time to my new system as I'd like, every time I sit on the equipment portion of my document, I can't think of anything but your weapon and armor systems ! Why are you so good?!

As you may have realized, I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say. Keep doing what you do fine sir. ... Personally, I know I'd pay for a hardback of a fully realized weapon and armor generation system, with rules and examples. Hint hint coughkickstartercough

Seriously though. I legit can't think of another equipment system I'd want to use, unless I manage to make anything out of the "piecemeal weapons" concept that popped into my head while reading your piecemeal armor section. Even then, I'd probably just wanna mesh the two together and call it a day .

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ettin in the Playground

The only missing option is the option to make a city sword.

To avoid going on a rant, let's just say that I'm not convinced by SKR's argument...
    he is doing a benchmark with the wrong weapon
    he should use a keen greathammer(the one for minautors) or a mercury greatsword.(both of which have 19-20 X4 crits) and enchant them with mutilating too.(and should use a strength based character two handing those weapons)
    Last edited by noob; 2018-07-16 at 07:04 PM.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Well... Hello, everyone. It's been a while since I posted here, huh? But today I have the day off and 2 random ideas came to mind:

1- Changing the "Impractical Reload" flaw so that it more accurately reflects things like old muskets and carbines... Sure, it took a while to reload them and sometimes required special tools and/or equipment, but it didn't take A WHOLE HOUR. So this is my draft for the new version:

Spoiler: Impractical Reload
    Show
    Impractical Reload: This weapon requires a specialized facility or heavy equipment to be reload. The specifics vary from weapon to weapon, but whatever the case may be, reloading a weapon with this flaw takes no less than 1 hour and often requires specialized tools or equipment.
    The Craft Point Value of this flaw can be changed depending on how restrictive the reload procedures is:
    -1 cp: The reload procedure only takes 1 minute.
    +1 cp: The reload procedure requires at least 2 operators.
    +1 cp: The reload procedure requires a specialized facility and/or equipment that cannot be reasonably moved without major effort and/or large means of transportation (like a ship).
    Special: A weapon with this flaw cannot take Improved Reload Speed modification or the Reduced Reload Speed flaw, nor does it benefit from feats and abilities such as Rapid Reload, unless otherwise noted.
    Prerequisite: None. Craft Points Value: Up to 4.

2- I also finally had and idea for handling siege weapons: Basically, they all will get some version of the Impractical Reload flaw, but in exchange will deal damage as a weapon 3 sizes larger and are able to ignore a certain amount of Hardness (5? 10? half?). And as per RAW, they use Kn(Engineering) checks to attack.

EDIT: Oh, yeah... I want to make q small list of "character conditions" for weapons. In addition to "broken", it would have things like "bent", "rusty", "jammed", "loose", etc. Probably no more than a single page. I'll add them to the google doc once I have at least 3 of them finished.

EDIT 2: Ah! One more thing! While it was already implied, I finally made it explicit that taking flaws for one end of a double weapon does not give you free cp to spend on the other end. Therefore making it impossible to make a sword/crossbow double weapon where one side is a really ****ty crossbow that only shoots once an hour, while the other side is a absurdly powerful sword that got 4 cp for having the "impractical reload" flaw or something like that... If you want to use flaws to get more modifications, then you will freaking pay for it!
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2018-08-14 at 11:55 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

smile Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimPeddler View Post
    Random mini-rant: Dude, your systems are too good! While I haven't devoted as much time to my new system as I'd like, every time I sit on the equipment portion of my document, I can't think of anything but your weapon and armor systems ! Why are you so good?!

As you may have realized, I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say. Keep doing what you do fine sir. ... Personally, I know I'd pay for a hardback of a fully realized weapon and armor generation system, with rules and examples. Hint hint coughkickstartercough

Seriously though. I legit can't think of another equipment system I'd want to use, unless I manage to make anything out of the "piecemeal weapons" concept that popped into my head while reading your piecemeal armor section. Even then, I'd probably just wanna mesh the two together and call it a day .
    Heh... Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

Who knows... I might still make a pdf out of this. Maybe adapt it so that it works for PF 2.0 as well. Or at least promise to make an update for it once the game is out.
    Homebrew Stuff:

15. - Top - End - #345
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

great system, but as previously noted there are problems with gravitas weapons, for example:
    Cheesemonger
    This enormous hammer will shatter anything in it's the path
    [2d12 / 20/x2 / B / Melee (Reach, Trip)]
    Template: Exotic Two-Handed Bludgeoning Weapon
    Modifications: Improved Damage Die x3 (8 cp), Reach (0 cp), Trip (0 cp)

Get Gravatus, have the party wizard cast Ant Haul and Enlarge Person, and go to town, with a 12d6 damage weapon, PER HIT!!!!
    if playing with DSP products, just start as a Gamla blooded Assimar (Large race) and go into Aegis and grab powerful build, the 2 size boosting customizations, Shape Veil, Lesser for Armory of the Conqueror (Weapon counts as size larger for first Essence, + every 2 more), and Ectoplessence (gain essence = to 1/2 Aegis Level)and we now have a weapon dealing 2d12, converted into 4d6 by scaling rules (Base)+4d6 (Gravatus)+ 8d6 (You count as colossal, from size boosts)+6d6(from full 5 essence Armory of the Conqueror) for a 22d6 weapon
    That is using DSP rules, but I feel like similar things can be done by synthesis summoners with levels in titan mauler barbarian, and a helpful alchemist, something like a gargantuan, wields a colossal weapon, for 16d6 base damage, still crazy
    Cracked Opalescent White Pyramid Ioun Stone (or COWPIS for short, thanks Castilonium, and Upho ) means that for 1500, you don't need exotic weapon proficiency to wield this thing.
    Last edited by JMS; 2018-09-02 at 06:55 AM.
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I was going to start working on the siege engine rules today, so I checked the RAW for siege engines... And it's such a, overly complicated mess that it killed my enthusiasm... I think I'll just ignore it completely and come up with something simpler and easier to use.
    Homebrew Stuff:

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

I was going to start working on the siege engine rules today, so I checked the RAW for siege engines... And it's such a, overly complicated mess that it killed my enthusiasm... I think I'll just ignore it completely and come up with something simpler and easier to use.
    Are not siege engines oversized weapons that can be used by a group of people(needed for reloading and operating it) but needs skill checks for hitting an area?

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

Yay! This project is still alive!

I've tried doing the math on Siege Engines before and it's just... weird. I don't blame you for getting demoralized.

I'm going to be using this project in an upcoming campaign of mine by the way! I'll probably be making some variations of crossbow
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Are not siege engines oversized weapons that can be used by a group of people(needed for reloading and operating it) but needs skill checks for hitting an area?
    It should be that simple... But then, there's all this.

I think I'll just do something like "deals damage as a similar two-handed ranged weapon (e.g.: crossbows for ballistas, rifles for cannons, etc) that is three size categories larger, but uses a Kn(Engineering) check in place of attack rolls, doesn't deal reduced damage to objects and can ignore X amount of Hardness, but is somewhat inaccurate (Maybe use a d6 to know how far off-target the shot was... Or just make a penalty to attack rolls, since it's meant to target massive targets).

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    Yay! This project is still alive!

I've tried doing the math on Siege Engines before and it's just... weird. I don't blame you for getting demoralized.
    Of course! This project never truly dies (well... at least not before I die) ! It just slows down sometimes because it has pretty much everything it needs, and now I just make occasional additions and minor corrections. I want to start making a 5e conversion... But I'm not a big fan of that game, so I don't have nearly as much knowledge or excitement to work on it, so I keep putting it off...

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    I'm going to be using this project in an upcoming campaign of mine by the way! I'll probably be making some variations of crossbow
    Awesome! Let me know how it goes... I've heard of some cool experiences using this project... One of my favorites was an steampunk campaign with weapons that would make RWBY/Monster Hunter blush!
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2019-03-05 at 01:13 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    great system, but as previously noted there are problems with gravitas weapons, for example:
    Cheesemonger
    This enormous hammer will shatter anything in it's the path
    [2d12 / 20/x2 / B / Melee (Reach, Trip)]
    Template: Exotic Two-Handed Bludgeoning Weapon
    Modifications: Improved Damage Die x3 (8 cp), Reach (0 cp), Trip (0 cp)

Get Gravatus, have the party wizard cast Ant Haul and Enlarge Person, and go to town, with a 12d6 damage weapon, PER HIT!!!!
    if playing with DSP products, just start as a Gamla blooded Assimar (Large race) and go into Aegis and grab powerful build, the 2 size boosting customizations, Shape Veil, Lesser for Armory of the Conqueror (Weapon counts as size larger for first Essence, + every 2 more), and Ectoplessence (gain essence = to 1/2 Aegis Level)and we now have a weapon dealing 2d12, converted into 4d6 by scaling rules (Base)+4d6 (Gravatus)+ 8d6 (You count as colossal, from size boosts)+6d6(from full 5 essence Armory of the Conqueror) for a 22d6 weapon
    That is using DSP rules, but I feel like similar things can be done by synthesis summoners with levels in titan mauler barbarian, and a helpful alchemist, something like a gargantuan, wields a colossal weapon, for 16d6 base damage, still crazy
    Cracked Opalescent White Pyramid Ioun Stone (or COWPIS for short, thanks Castilonium, and Upho ) means that for 1500, you don't need exotic weapon proficiency to wield this thing.
    I should address this because I keep getting this comment all the time... No disrespect to JMS. It's a valid criticism, but it's blown out of proportion, IMHO.

As this very post proves, there are a million ways of increasing damage dice. Even without gravatus... Would an 8d6 weapon really be any less ridiculous than a 12d6 one?

This is a point-buy system, it's all but impossible to make completely fool-proof. Anything that stacks can be stacked until it breaks. I believe I did a pretty good job of keeping things reasonably balanced while maintaining variety.

While I absolutely hate the "it's not a problem because the GM can fix it" excuse, there really comes a point where there really isn't much to do other than expect players and GMs to have a modicum of common sense and don't try to break the game. The very weapon used as an example requires a blacksmith of at least 10th level, with a very specific feat and enough ore of a very specific material just to get to that +12d6... While I strive for balance, I can't and won't make this system with the assumption that every player is out to get the most absurd weapons, no matter how broken they are. That would require making everything super restrictive and needlessly complicated.

I suppose I could increase the cost of the Increased Damage Die modification even more... But it honestly doesn't feel overpowered without A LOT of cheese on top of it.

EDIT: However... This does remind me that there's a small inconsistency in that 2-handed ranged weapon templates have a 1d10 base damage die, but there's no 1d10 damage in table 3.01 - Weapon Damage Progression... It goes from 1d8 straight to 1d12... I suppose I could just add the 1d10 step, but I really don't want to indirectly nerf every other 2-handed weapon in the game...
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2019-03-05 at 03:45 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

21. - Top - End - #351
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I should address this because I keep getting this comment all the time... No disrespect to JMS. It's a valid criticism, but it's blown out of proportion, IMHO.

As this very post proves, there are a million ways of increasing damage dice. Even without gravatus... Would an 8d6 weapon really be any less ridiculous than a 12d6 one?

This is a point-buy system, it's all but impossible to make completely fool-proof. Anything that stacks can be stacked until it breaks. I believe I did a pretty good job of keeping things reasonably balanced while maintaining variety.

While I absolutely hate the "it's not a problem because the GM can fix it" excuse, there really comes a point where there really isn't much to do other than expect players and GMs to have a modicum of common sense and don't try to break the game. The very weapon used as an example requires a blacksmith of at least 10th level, with a very specific feat and enough ore of a very specific material just to get to that +12d6... While I strive for balance, I can't and won't make this system with the assumption that every player is out to get the most absurd weapons, no matter how broken they are. That would require making everything super restrictive and needlessly complicated.

I suppose I could increase the cost of the Increased Damage Die modification even more... But it honestly doesn't feel overpowered without A LOT of cheese on top of it.

EDIT: However... This does remind me that there's a small inconsistency in that 2-handed ranged weapon templates have a 1d10 base damage die, but there's no 1d10 damage in table 3.01 - Weapon Damage Progression... It goes from 1d8 straight to 1d12... I suppose I could just add the 1d10 step, but I really don't want to indirectly nerf every other 2-handed weapon in the game...
    Yeah, most of it is fine. I might put a cap on base, medium damage though, to 4d6 or 3d6, mimicking the executioner's axe? Allows for your one-hit wonders, but keeps things from getting insane, particularly with flaws, like the one mentioned below, that may not be such a problem.

Also, Blunt Weapons plus the enforcer feat might be a smallish problem, but 2 different traits can give you a version that can be turned on and off, so... not too bad, I would say.

(Also, I have a player with siege weapons in a game right now, but my notes may not be too useful, given the game is level 30 tristalt, heavy homebrew, and utterly insane)
    Last edited by JMS; 2019-03-28 at 08:02 PM.
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

If anyone is still interested in my little gem, I'm happy to announce I finally got an idea for a whole new chapter for the project. Basically, it's a Automatic Bonus Progression, but for weapons, armor and shield only. It's still a very early draft version... But I really like the general idea and overall math. Hopefully you guys will enjoy it too.

EDIT: This new mechanic is only on my draft document for now... But it'll probably be in the main googledoc before the end of the week... You can see its early draft here (keep in mind that this version still has a few issues, like the absence of the rule that you can't infuse an object with more than half your total mojo. Also, while it isn't specified there, this only includes the numerical enhancement bonus to attack/damage/AC, not special properties, which still cost money and are added separately, but ignore the numerical enhancement bonus when calculating their cost).

As always, I thank you all for all your interest and support. It's what gets me the hype to continue working on this project. I sincerely hope my work can add at least a little more fun to all your games.

You all have my gratitude and appreciation.

- - -

Yeah, most of it is fine. I might put a cap on base, medium damage though, to 4d6 or 3d6, mimicking the executioner's axe? Allows for your one-hit wonders, but keeps things from getting insane, particularly with flaws, like the one mentioned below, that may not be such a problem.
    I mean... The maximum number of craft points is a limitation by itself. I know that the Increased Damage Die modification allows for abuse, but that takes some conscious effort and disregard for the game's well-being, IMO. I think it's falls safely into "won't happen in practice, unless the group enjoys this kind of thing". I've played and GM'd a few games with this system now, and while I usually limit what modifications the players can get (mostly for story/setting reasons, rather than mechanics), IME, most players are more interested in making a really cool weapon than in making it super-powerful (although a guy going for a Bersek (manga) feel did end up making a bigass sword).

Also, Blunt Weapons plus the enforcer feat might be a smallish problem, but 2 different traits can give you a version that can be turned on and off, so... not too bad, I would say.
    Well... You can already deal non-lethal damage with blunt weapons... The reason it's a flaw is because it stops you from doing anything else. And Enforcer is really easy to abuse, and it's already pretty easy to deal nonlethal damage without any penalty, anyway... Nothing I can do will change that...

(Also, I have a player with siege weapons in a game right now, but my notes may not be too useful, given the game is level 30 tristalt, heavy homebrew, and utterly insane)
    That sounds absurd, hilarious and FREAKING AWESOME! I suggest you give them all a custom exotic weapon with extra craft points just to see how far things can go!
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2019-04-17 at 10:05 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

If anyone is still interested in my little gem, I'm happy to announce I finally got an idea for a whole new chapter for the project. Basically, it's a Automatic Bonus Progression, but for weapons, armor and shield only. It's still a very early draft version... But I really like the general idea and overall math. Hopefully you guys will enjoy it too.

EDIT: This new mechanic is only on my draft document for now... But it'll probably be in the main googledoc before the end of the week... You can see its early draft here (keep in mind that this version still has a few issues, like the absence of the rule that you can't infuse an object with more than half your total mojo. Also, while it isn't specified there, this only includes the numerical enhancement bonus to attack/damage/AC, not special properties, which still cost money and are added separately, but ignore the numerical enhancement bonus when calculating their cost).

As always, I thank you all for all your interest and support. It's what gets me the hype to continue working on this project. I sincerely hope my work can add at least a little more fun to all your games.

You all have my gratitude and appreciation.

- - -

I mean... The maximum number of craft points is a limitation by itself. I know that the Increased Damage Die modification allows for abuse, but that takes some conscious effort and disregard for the game's well-being, IMO. I think it's falls safely into "won't happen in practice, unless the group enjoys this kind of thing". I've played and GM'd a few games with this system now, and while I usually limit what modifications the players can get (mostly for story/setting reasons, rather than mechanics), IME, most players are more interested in making a really cool weapon than in making it super-powerful (although a guy going for a Bersek (manga) feel did end up making a bigass sword).

Well... You can already deal non-lethal damage with blunt weapons... The reason it's a flaw is because it stops you from doing anything else. And Enforcer is really easy to abuse, and it's already pretty easy to deal nonlethal damage without any penalty, anyway... Nothing I can do will change that...

That sounds absurd, hilarious and FREAKING AWESOME! I suggest you give them all a custom exotic weapon with extra craft points just to see how far things can go!
    do you still know where was that smith prc that did mention your system explicitly?
    (was made by a fan of your system)

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I remember someone mentioning it in this very thread, but I don't think I ever got a link to it...
    Homebrew Stuff:

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The "beta" version of my "Automatic Weapon/Armor Enhancement Progression" was added. It's still a work in progress, of course, but it gives readers a good idea of what to expect.

New special materials coming soon! At least 3 of them... Probably more.

While I'm sure they already exist somewhere, I intend to add a small chapter with quick rules for crafting weapons (characters crafting weapon, that is, not we players creating them), including how mistakes lead to weapon flaws. Also a bit about how making weapons with cheaper material can save cost, but may come at the expense of functionality and/or durability.

While this should be a given, I'll also probably add a short note saying that GM's and players should not necessarily be restricted by intended fluff/description but should still take at least take it in consideration (e.g.: there's o rule saying your piercing weapon is as round and soft as a beach ball, or that string weapons even have an actual string, but these things can be detrimental to immersion and fun... If it isn't... Well, then more power to you!).
    Homebrew Stuff:

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ettin in the Playground

Dealing piercing damage with a round and soft object is possible but hard.
    Look at some old lead bullets.
    Now swinging fast enough one such object with your hands to pierce someone is way harder.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Dealing piercing damage with a round and soft object is possible but hard.
    Look at some old lead bullets.
    Now swinging fast enough one such object with your hands to pierce someone is way harder.
    Well... Yes, with enough force you can pierce anything with anything... Cutting metal with pressured water-jets is super common (also super fun! )... But most characters are human-ish in nature and have human-ish capabilities...

Basically, it's just intended as a reminder that says "you can create anything, but I suggest you be only as silly or as serious as appropriate for your group and your game".
    Homebrew Stuff:

28. - Top - End - #358
    Orc in the Playground

Very impressive document, Lemmy. Thank you for this - my 3.P players are going to love using it!

Tonight I'm going to reverse engineer 3.5's Gnomish Quickrazor using your system. As I'd like to make some variants of it for a gnome engineering-themed fighter in our game.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Disaster View Post
    Very impressive document, Lemmy. Thank you for this - my 3.P players are going to love using it!

Tonight I'm going to reverse engineer 3.5's Gnomish Quickrazor using your system. As I'd like to make some variants of it for a gnome engineering-themed fighter in our game.
    That's awesome! It's great to see new people finding and enjoying this system. It truly warms my cold, dead heart...

I hope you and your friends have fun with it!

And don't forget to tell us how it goes!
    Homebrew Stuff:

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Just added a few more weapons to my "Sample Weapon List". While it's (intentionally) not even close to being as extensive as the weapon list in RAW, I think it's very complete and diverse. With a little creativity and re-flavoring, it's possible to use all the more iconic weapons in medieval/renaissance fantasy games using just that list.

Man, this project really is fun to tinker around. I'm tempted to make a D&D 5e version just because I enjoy this homebrew so much... And I rarely even play 5e anymore!

I'm also thinking about a "Shield" modification. I remember someone here making that suggestion, but at the time I thought it was redundant with Attached(shield), but I later thought of some reason why that isn't completely true... However, I can't remember what that reason was...

EDIT: And I just edited "Double" to allow one-handed secondary weapons. Seriously... The Double modification probably caused more headache and grievance than all other Modifications combined...
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2019-10-13 at 02:26 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff: