New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground
    Default Re: The Order of the Stick: April

I'm left wondering what spells V-Man has memorized, since he just stood there impotently while the bad guys flew away. Maybe that cleric of Loki cast silence on him while nobody was looking?

One cone of cold might've been useful as the villains flew away. And shouldn't his fly spell still be active from his adventure finding the air sigil? Or maybe he walked through an unhallow that dispelled the flight?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

The bad guys haven't "flown away" yet. They simply got in the air. Don't jump to conclusions. :P I can only fit so much action in each strip.

And since Zz'dtri had to recast his Fly spell, it stands to reason the spells he cast on Haley and Vaarsuvius also expired.

In other words, the time span between comics varies widely; it might have taken hours to finsh each Sigil quest, and then only 2-3 rounds passed in the most recent comic. The next comic will pick up at the exact moment after this one. But I think you'll see Vaarsuvius has his hands full with another problem...
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    But I think you'll see Vaarsuvius has his hands full with another problem...
    Then she is a he! I mean, he is a his! I mean... aw, heck. :P

Hey, I just noticed that "Vaarsuvius" greatly resembles "Vesuvius." Appropriate given his mighty and explosively-oriented powers :)
    Now if you don\'t mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.

4. - Top - End - #64

I will neither confirm nor deny Vaarsuvius' gender at this time. I am the Lord of Illusions!
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Most of the characters refer to Vaarsuvius as a he. I just assumed that he was rather slender and highly intellectual (which sometimes people read as effeminacy). Belkar's line in a strip "You know I always suspected...." I thought was refering to the idea that Vaarsuvius might be gay, not female.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

What happen if some of the monsters in the pit are ufficially updated to 3rd editions?
    for example the osquip are in a FR accessory (races of faerun)....
    la legge non è mai fine a se stessa-Gorman Truart&&With each kill, I grow wiser, and with added wisdom, I grow stronger-Artemis Entreri&&

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh, Nale you were doing so well. You had dropped two of them and a full ambush could easily carried the day.

But alas, like many evil masterminds you choose to leave while letting the heroes die an 'exotic death' at the hands of your untested minions.

Fool! Those outdated monsters are still using the THAC0 system! Their attacks will hit ACs ranging from roughly -5 to 15! Only the weakest of the monsters will have a chance to even touch the Order of the Stick.

Sadly another neophyte gives Evil Overlords a bad name. ;)
    Reality is what you can get away with.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

While the monsters' own ACs will be in the same range. What's it like to fight something with AC 2? (Answer: fun!)
    Now if you don\'t mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticGod
    Fool! Those outdated monsters are still using the THAC0 system! Their attacks will hit ACs ranging from roughly -5 to 15! Only the weakest of the monsters will have a chance to even touch the Order of the Stick.
    To the contrary: You subtract the AC from the THAC0 for the number needed on the d20. A 1-HD monster in 2e had a THAC0 of 20, so if the OOTS all have ACs of 20 or higher (likely), then even the lowliest of monsters cannot fail to hit them! (Except on a natural 1.) A more powerful monster with a THAC0 of 10 would need to roll a -10 on the die to miss. No, those monsters are killing machines against 3E AC scores.

Likewise, it should be child's play for the OOTSers to hit the monsters' ACs of 2 or so.

Looks like a bloodbath is comin'... ;D
    Rich Burlew

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

I think the flumphs are gonna save the day! ;D ;D ;D
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah - but what if the OotS gang takes off all of their armor and doesn't dodge any attacks? Then they'll have the incredible AC of 5 (except Belkar)! And if the V-ster casts mass enlarge person, it'll go down to 4! The monsters will barely be able to touch 'em and they can clean up. Unless the monsters also don't dodge OotS' attacks, which I guess would increase their AC, and then a hole would be ripped in the space-time continuum as everyone throws themselves on each others' weapons without getting scratched... :P

Yeah, I guess it's all up to the flumphs.

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog
    I think the flumphs are gonna save the day! ;D ;D ;D
    On the one hand, given the Giant's sense of humor, I'd be inclined to agree. On the other hand, we thought of it, and I think he goes out of his way to frustrate our expectations. Personally, I'm working on the theory that something about the difference in rules will make things work out in some hilariously awkward manner.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground
    Default Re: The Osquip

The Osquip isn't the only one that shouldn't be in there. That Death Dog (published in the 3rd edition Fiend Folio) really shouldn't be controllable by the amulet. I would suggest it save the day, if it weren't such a crappy creature now.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

Guessing the content of future strips and taking away the fun by doing that is really beyond my unterstanding. Why the hell are some people that dedicated to this kind of party-pooping? Why are some people unable to simply enjoying the marvelous strips two times a week and leave it at that?

Mr. Burlow already told the community, that he's not very happy about those kind of postings. So, why disrespecting his talent by trying to spoil the fun? Looks to me like hunting for much needed self-affirmation by successfully predicting the strips.

Don't want to be overly insulting. I'm simply curious for the reasons because i'm only able to assume them.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

???
    I don't think anyone was seriously trying to guess the content of future strips. We were just joking around about silly monsters and silly 2ed rules. Sorry. :-/ :-[ :-X

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

The bad guys haven't "flown away" yet. They simply got in the air. Don't jump to conclusions. :P I can only fit so much action in each strip.

What? You mean evil hasn't won yet? Darn. :)

I guess I need to be more patient.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
    We were just joking around about silly monsters and silly 2ed rules. Sorry. :-/ :-[ :-X
    Well, my posting wasn't directed at anyone directly. It is simply an observation I've made more than once or twice during the last few weeks.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Default re: Raining on the Giant's parade?

I guess it's natural for some people to read yesterday's strip and think "Wow, how're they gonna get out of that?" then go on with their lives until all is revealed, because to them it's a story being unfolded. OTOH it's equally natural for others to think "Wow, how're they gonna get out of that?" then try to answer the question, because to them it's a puzzle to be solved.

Please, those in group #1, be patient with us in #2. Feel free to use many ::) and :P icons. ;)

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenproject
    Guessing the content of future strips and taking away the fun by doing that is really beyond my unterstanding. Why the hell are some people that dedicated to this kind of party-pooping? Why are some people unable to simply enjoying the marvelous strips two times a week and leave it at that?

Mr. Burlow already told the community, that he's not very happy about those kind of postings. So, why disrespecting his talent by trying to spoil the fun? Looks to me like hunting for much needed self-affirmation by successfully predicting the strips.
    Well, I know in my case, I'm not looking for any kind of gratification. I tend to be analytical by nature, and, as Tarlonniel said, I just like to speculate. To tell you the truth, I'm more satisfied when the strip defies my expectations and gives me something cooler. For example, I honestly didn't expect the strip to take such a dark turn as having Nale run Elan through the back. I figured there would be some comic mishap that would either loose or destroy the amulet or prove it to be completely worthless, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Giant taking such a dramatic trun.

As far as the Giant's potential disapproval goes, I hardly think he'd allow this thread to continue unabashed in this manner if he were really offended by it. When he did post on the subject of our speculations, I took it to mean that he would not incorporate things into the strip just because we wanted them, and I respect that. It's his work, and I'm not trying to tell him how to do it, I'm just curious about how things will turn out and enjoy bantering about our idle (but amusing) speculations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenproject
    Don't want to be overly insulting. I'm simply curious for the reasons because i'm only able to assume them.
    "overly insulting"? I would advise that you try to avoid being insulting altogether. I can understand that all of this might look like petty attempts to second guess the Giant, but it might behoove you to be a bit more polite when entering a conversation.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

I haven't even been following all the comments relating to this recent discussion, but I can see what they're about. I can definitely empathize with Rich.

I've often had my players guessing as many possible outcomes to a cliffhanger in my campaign that they eventually hit on the "right one." Then that spoils my fun. Because when it finally happens, it seems as though I got my idea from their little guessing spree. And then all the drama is gone. :(

In any case, I'm personally happy to let OotS unfold as Rich imagines it with as few influences on that as possible—which is not to say that he's susceptible to such influences, but I, too, know the temptation of deliberately going against all the suggestions.

That said, the latest one, Rich—Episode #58—is great! Belkar is such fun.
    Ashlock.org
    WotC: The Darkwood Mask (Eberron, March 2008)
    Goodman Games: Dungeon Crawl Classics #29, #31, #35: Gazetteer of the Known Realms, #48, #49
    Worlds of D&D

21. - Top - End - #81

Daveric is the undisputed MASTER of doing that at our D&D games. Drives us nuts.
    Rich Burlew

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

Elan made it! :D I'm so pleased. Is it safe to assume that Durkon will just come round eventually or is he still in danger?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Clearly someone needs to cast Owl's Wisdom on Brooke Shields...I had no idea until today's strip that it included the effect of "Banish Monobrow".

Edit...meant to mention this the first time, but I love in strip #10 how the goblins in the background are speaking Ewok. Damn furry little blighters ruin a perfectly good movie.

Edit #2...clearly Sabine is either a Succubus or an Erinyes. Most likely a Succubus, since they have bat wings, and Erinyes are described as having feathered wings...although since Nale is LE, an Erinyes might make a better fit, alignment-wise.
    Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from SCIENCE!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

:D Okay, today's strip is definitely one of my all-time favorites! It's very funny and every detail was perfect, right down to Belkar's shirt changing color. You rock, Giant ;D

25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground

Just went through that with Daveric online. :) I can see what you mean..Daveric - Master of Hypotheses!

Can't say if he got anything right, of course. :)

'That just means I can beat him with both scrolls at the same time!'

Best line ever. :)
    \"I\'m overdressed.\" He quips. \"Though I suppose if you\'ve come here to beat me up, I may as well look my best for the ambulance ride.\"&&&&Eight, to Five, Protocol Seven

26. - Top - End - #86
    Halfling in the Playground

Daveric is the undisputed MASTER of doing that at our D&D games. Drives us nuts.
    Hey, I've been very, VERY good of late. ;)

At least I am master at something. :) :-/
    \"If Woody had gone straight to the police, none of this ever would have happened.\"&&~Narrator from the Woody the Woodpecker cartoon

27. - Top - End - #87

Awww, Belkar has a soft spot for small furry creatures.

I wonder if that will be his undoing?
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
    :D Okay, today's strip is definitely one of my all-time favorites! It's very funny and every detail was perfect, right down to Belkar's shirt changing color. You rock, Giant ;D
    Thanks! The shirt changing color was a direct result of the "How is Thog flying?" questions. I realized that if I was going to have a spell effect that influenced the events, I needed some kind of visual cue that it was happening. I think it worked out well, as it gives him this "enlightened" look. :)
    Rich Burlew

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy
    'That just means I can beat him with both scrolls at the same time!'

Best line ever. :)
    I agree! I love that little guy. And hurray for Elan!

\"Are you flesh, or are you spirit?\"&&\"I am sorrow.\"&&~Ladyhawke

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

hey! , new to forum just wanted to do a quick post and say how much i love OOTS, keep up the fantastic work,

p.s. the "i think i've failed a spot check thread" was the funniest thing i've seen for many years in terms of AD&D humour
    The Giant: Are you actually arguing with me about my own strip?? It\'s a freaking black dragon. End of discussion.