New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [PEACH] Binder class (WIP)

SCARCE!

1. Yes, Starting attitude is still a thing. It's more for role-playing purposes to tell whether a creature is going to attack/oppose you or try to make nice-nice
    2. sounds good to me, that'll be fixed as soon as I get Evernote working again.
    3. There was a fair bit of confusion somewhere within the last 2 pages about "knowing X Spell", the original intent was to cater to the Awakened Binder, who would have a fairly limited spell list with just conjurations and...(enchantments, I think?) from the Sorcerer spell list, who of all the classes Anaxi could have picked has so few of those at the levels relevant. The idea was that knowing a spell won't do you good anyway if you don't have the minimal spell slot cast it, but if it's a level you you cast then It's gravy!
      Anaximander and I don't always see things eye to eye, but I understand that requires clarification and perhaps even a streamlined ruling.
    4. I like your phrasing for Water Frolic better, It's a lot cleaner. To be fair I drafted Eurynome in less than a day, the rest of the time between conception and posting was research.

I was kinda of worried about Shillelagh, as the creator I felt a pinch disappointed when I compared it to the oversized +3 Anarchic warhammer you would get in 3.5, what are people's thoughts on this?
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2015-07-22 at 03:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.
    <<Cynthia the Witch by me. she's a nice gal, I promise!

My player Resume, for potential DMs to read over.

My Extended Signature

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    This is really awesome! Thanks!
    *never knew before that there were campaign-specific vestiges*

I have the ToM on my bookshelf, so it's not crucial right now.
    As of right now I'm cross-referencing between the ToM and the 5E PHB. I may have a few questions for Anaximander by the time he gets back, including vestiges we might bump up a level to make room for 9th level power

Must've missed that, you're right!

Does anyone have any other thoughts, comments, ideas, critiques?
    Yeah, please give a great reason that I can say to my DM so I can play this aweSAM class! I really like the idea, the concept and the design.
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigoAlves
    Once a player almost fell into a trap full of spikes. He asked me "how much damage would a spike do?"
    I said "Instant death"
    Then, he grabbed a spike and used it as a weapon for the rest of the adventure.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImSAMazing View Post
    Yeah, please give a great reason that I can say to my DM so I can play this aweSAM class! I really like the idea, the concept and the design.
    1. Binders have a wealth of adventure lore and role playing opportunities.
    2. They can fill a variety of roles
    3. Vestiges can be refluffed if they are too creepy for any given campaign.
    4. Any problems in balance you could fix and report here (so we could fix It and do a better job)
    5. It would make me jeallous with a great passion.

Do you need any more, my friend?
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2015-07-24 at 04:27 PM.
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.

My Extended Signature

4. - Top - End - #154

WhiteWizardGirl

1. Binders have a wealth of adventure lore and role playing opportunities.
    2. They can fill a variety of roles
    3. Vestiges can be refluffed if they are too creepy for any given campaign.
    4. Any problems in balance you could fix and report here (so we could fix It and do a better job)
    5. It would make me jeallous with a great passion.

Do you need any more, my friend?
    Thanks for posting this reason, definetly going to play this class soon!
    Once a player almost fell into a trap full of spikes. He asked me "how much damage would a spike do?"
    I said "Instant death"

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

My pleasure! Let me know how it turns out!

My Extended Signature

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm going to be playtesting soon too; he's going to be the BBEG for my campaign. (Obviously its allowed; I'm the DM.)
    Sometimes it's easy to forget this isn't for 3.5 anymore #Shocking revelation.
    Binders are fun!
    My 5e Vestiges: Amon, Dahlver-Nar, Focalor, Primus, Marchosias, Halphax, and some other non-canon ones.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for posting this reason, definetly going to play this class soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    I'm going to be playtesting soon too; he's going to be the BBEG for my campaign. (Obviously its allowed; I'm the DM.)
    These make me very happy to hear. If Anaxi was around, He would probably be proud too to see how far we took his idea.

Please keep the thread informed with any information on the class's performance these days I'm a little busy, but I'm working in increments to see how we can advance from here. Stay tuned!

My Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #158

WhiteWizardGirl

tongue Re: [PEACH] Binder class (WIP)

These make me very happy to hear. If Anaxi was around, He would probably be proud too to see how far we took his idea.

Please keep the thread informed with any information on the class's performance these days I'm a little busy, but I'm working in increments to see how we can advance from here. Stay tuned!
    You must stay tuned to!
    I said "Instant death"

9. - Top - End - #159

WhiteWizardGirl

Just a tip:

Is the class on the first post the current state of the class? I ask this because in the class it says you get an unique ability from a trusted vestige. And I think the Pact DCs should be a higher for lvl 9 Vestiges. By then you probably have +11 persuasion (+5 cha, +6 prof.).
    Last edited by ImSAMazing; 2015-07-25 at 04:42 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Just a tip:

Is the class on the first post the current state of the class? I ask this because in the class it says you get an unique ability from a trusted vestige. And I think the Pact DCs should be a higher for lvl 9 Vestiges. By then you probably have +11 persuasion (+5 cha, +6 prof.).
    I fear that the class chart is somewhat outdated. I'll definitely think about making an index.

[B]EDIT: [/B]Also, the way things are, the binder does not necessarily have to posess the negotiation skill, since binding with a vestige is an unnamed charisma check. That way, we have the means of being creative with the pact making process - negotiations, arguments, questioning the vestige, or just a contest of wills (for players who prefer less RP.)

But yes, your point is valid - 9th level vestiges need DCs catered to 17th level characters, which should be considered to have a +10 modifier at the core minimum (+4 Cha + 6 Prof). The binder should be like every other class in 5e, in the sense that you have to go out of your way to screw up the character. That's a smart approach from 5e as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2015-07-26 at 12:02 AM.

My Extended Signature

11. - Top - End - #161

WhiteWizardGirl

I fear that the class chart is somewhat outdated. I'll definitely think about making an index.

[B]EDIT: [/B]Also, the way things are, the binder does not necessarily have to posess the negotiation skill, since binding with a vestige is an unnamed charisma check. That way, we have the means of being creative with the pact making process - negotiations, arguments, questioning the vestige, or just a contest of wills (for players who prefer less RP.)

But yes, your point is valid - 9th level vestiges need DCs catered to 17th level characters, which should be considered to have a +10 modifier at the core minimum (+4 Cha + 6 Prof). The binder should be like every other class in 5e, in the sense that you have to go out of your way to screw up the character. That's a smart approach from 5e as far as I'm concerned.
    Thanks for responding. I'd like to see the current state of the class. Also, can you give me 3 reasons why the Binder is balanced? My DM likes the class but says that he cant really say if it is balanced
    I said "Instant death"

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, can you give me 3 reasons why the Binder is balanced? My DM likes the class but says that he cant really say if it is balanced
    I think I like this little game

Well, the first thing to point out is that right now this is all untested homebrew. The only way to guarantee that it's balanced is to actually try and see how it works on the field.

Try it, tell us how it compares to other characters. If it's not as balanced as we hope it to be, tell us - and we'll brainstorm on how we can fix it. As far as I know, You and The Doctor are the first two playtesters, as we haven't heard from anybody else. In actuality, The 5e binder stands on equal grounds with the mystic class, in terms of it's progress state.

With all that said, here are the other reasons why -I- think it should be balanced:
    1. Most of the Material within the vestiges we built are drawn from Canon 5e sources (usually the Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide), with careful consideration to what features are available and when - we would rather raise or lower the level of a vestige than make it over-/under-powered.
    2. In the Original Poster's absence, I am working to supervise this project, with the help of a pleasantly vigilant and determined crew.
      I regard myself as well acquainted with both the 3.5 Tome Of Magic (at least the Pact Magic section!), as well as the 5e Player's Handbook (I've been following and taking notes on 5e and it's creator staff since D&D Next was first announced. My only problem is that I never played a Binder for long enough to experience it fully, but I try my absolute best to prove I'm qualified. And if I go too far off, I get corrected anyway. That's what the group is for

Finally, I decided that I will start a new thread for this class with all the updated material, so it'll hopefully be a little easier to make out once I clean it all up and post it
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2015-07-26 at 05:36 AM.

My Extended Signature

13. - Top - End - #163

WhiteWizardGirl

I think I like this little game

Well, the first thing to point out is that right now this is all untested homebrew. The only way to guarantee that it's balanced is to actually try and see how it works on the field.

Try it, tell us how it compares to other characters. If it's not as balanced as we hope it to be, tell us - and we'll brainstorm on how we can fix it. As far as I know, You and The Doctor are the first two playtesters, as we haven't heard from anybody else. In actuality, The 5e binder stands on equal grounds with the mystic class, in terms of it's progress state.

With all that said, here are the other reasons why -I- think it should be balanced:
    1. Most of the Material within the vestiges we built are drawn from Canon 5e sources (usually the Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide), with careful consideration to what features are available and when - we would rather raise or lower the level of a vestige than make it over-/under-powered.
    2. In the Original Poster's absence, I am working to supervise this project, with the help of a pleasantly vigilant and determined crew.
      I regard myself as well acquainted with both the 3.5 Tome Of Magic (at least the Pact Magic section!), as well as the 5e Player's Handbook (I've been following and taking notes on 5e and it's creator staff since D&D Next was first announced. My only problem is that I never played a Binder for long enough to experience it fully, but I try my absolute best to prove I'm qualified. And if I go too far off, I get corrected anyway. That's what the group is for

Finally, I decided that I will start a new thread for this class with all the updated material, so it'll hopefully be a little easier to make out once I clean it all up and post it
    Great to hear. However, when are you going to mak3 the thread, so exited to playtest it
    I said "Instant death"

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm currently working on it.rewriting some text and trying to make order of things. Should be ready within a few days if no other projects prioritize at the last minute.

My Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have tested the binder!

He was the BBEG for the campaign, so I gave him a few extra HP, but that's it. The he managed to almost 1-hit K.O. the cleric of the group with Amon's fire breath (one round hold time). The cleric countered with some spell that did like 30 points of damage and then killed him. He then then used Sacred Flame a lot and incinerated the body.

The idjits killed someone I intended to be a recurring villain... or did they?
    Sometimes it's easy to forget this isn't for 3.5 anymore #Shocking revelation.
    Binders are fun!
    My 5e Vestiges: Amon, Dahlver-Nar, Focalor, Primus, Marchosias, Halphax, and some other non-canon ones.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

What level was this test, Doctor?
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2015-07-26 at 11:15 PM.

My Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

Congrats on the first test!

@Yellow King: After a long procrastination, I finished the Pallid Mask ability. I'm not sure if it's too powerful without a limit on how many times a creature can be stunned by it.

Which vestige should I work on next?

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Ladies, Gentlemen, (and everything in between) we are moving to a new thread.

As well as the promised index thread.
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2015-07-28 at 04:21 PM.

My Extended Signature