New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5/PF] GitP Regulars as Vestiges Type II

Working on something for Heliomance right now.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    By trying to argue that if something is Chaotic it doesn't matter if it's Evil it's still CG (no, robbing peasants is not a Good act, no actively attacking the party because they don't want you to be party leader is not a Good act*). The players would have been problems regardless of alignment. It's the same way people mess up CN.

*Actually one of them caused this problem as LG when he declared himself the mayor of a town by force**, but by the point they caused it they didn't try and justify it with their alignment and took the change to CE in stride that time.

**This led to his angry mob turning on him, his barricading himself in the mayor's office while they burnt it down, and my character robbing the burning mayor's office to give the money he could find to the peasantry.
    I guess I never had a problem cause i apply alignments after character creation unless the alignment is an integral part of the character.

btw, my favorite exemplars are Obyriths (CE) and Eladrin (CG). There was always something about the Slaad that i didn't like.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post

Zaydos.... have i mentioned that i love you?
    I think so. Also don't link gifs like that, horrible things happen. Horrible things...

Spoiler: Horrible things
    Show
    The Reaper's Tune [Bardic Music]
    Your play the graveyard song of Death itself, causing the dead to rise and dance (or kill) along with your will.
    Prerequisites: Inspire Courage ability, Perform 12 ranks.
    Benefit: When you use Inspire Courage you may choose to forgo its normal effect to instead duplicate an animate dead spell upon one or more corpse within 60 ft. These corpses may only animate as skeletons, and remain animate only for the duration of the Inspire Courage effect. In addition they, and any allied undead within range, gain 1/2 the bonus that would be granted by your Inspire Courage ability as an untyped bonus and a competence bonus to Perform (Dance) checks equal to twice the bonus from your Inspire Courage (this is twice the unhalved number).

See what you have caused? Or at least wait till I finish posting the necro-binding PrC I've been working on since yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    I guess I never had a problem cause i apply alignments after character creation unless the alignment is an integral part of the character.

btw, my favorite exemplars are Obyriths (CE) and Eladrin (CG). There was always something about the Slaad that i didn't like.
    It comes more from playing as a teenager with people who didn't want to be Evil characters on paper but wanted to act in whatever way they wanted. The first 3.0 campaign I played in the paladin volunteered to be the party fence because people would trust him and his rl best friend was the (CG) party thief who had just lied to the party to get them to help rob a rich dude's house; in the paladin's defense he was generally Good aligned and could pass as Lawful... the party rogue was 'steal it if it isn't nailed down' and I think the DM might have banned CN and CE (I came in after the game started and I honestly don't remember if they included CN in their no Evil alignments rule, though I almost want to say my Fighter/Barbarian was CN but he might have been CG).

As for slaad they are the worst written planar race, save for some of the specific NPCs as written by Monte Cook which were interesting, least varied, least interesting, and all together horrible. To put it succinctly: I don't like slaad. Of the exemplar species (I wouldn't count formians as one to be honest due to their place in lore not being the same as the others, the 'leths are an odder one to place) slaad are the only ones I actually don't like.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

I realize I have failed to properly appreciate your dedication to detail. The colors on the prismatic ray are very appropriately named.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    I realize I have failed to properly appreciate your dedication to detail. The colors on the prismatic ray are very appropriately named.
    The devil is in the details. And what sort of dragon lich would I be if I didn't catch him?

Thanks, though, It's nice when things like that are noticed. Even if honestly I felt most were stretches and I don't actually know what Smaudre is having never read Vance's Lyonesse (I assume I need to because Vance was a god of words and description able to make worlds of magic and wonder that I've never seen matched but I have not done so), but I did at least try and make sure they sort of fit.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2016-10-01 at 09:05 PM.

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

I grant permission. About time I stopped watching these threads and posted. I am a fan of having minions to do my dirty work, and enjoy anime and military history. If I could be anything, I might be a mildly insane wizard-king with a space battleship, an army of mini-mecha with fanatically loyal pilots, and a bunch of shanghai'd magical girls in varying degrees of doubt regarding my benign intentions for the universe but following instructions anyway.

...That actually sounds like a really cool idea for a show.
    I'm a Prestige Class! Thanks Zaydos!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

The devil is in the details. And what sort of dragon lich would I be if I didn't catch him?
    Not the first to fail at the task. Doubtful the last, either.

My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post

who needs details, just make up a general plan and have it happen.

Current avatar by me

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Dire Stirge is my next victim.
    Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    Improved Bind Vestige: Anyone with the Improved Bind Vestige feat can bind Khadgar. You gain the ability Of All He Surveys while Khadgar is bound. If you have Practiced Binder, you also gain the Dark Servant ability.
    I think it's a nice touch that you're using feats. However, I think you mean Bind Vestige and Improved Bind Vestige

Whoops, that aura was supposed to be an "each round" kind of thing. Also, the morale bonus is based on how much damage you do, so you could theoretically keep increasing it if you keep dealing higher amounts of damage (which applies to all of your abilities, since they are damage rolls also). 'Come Here, My Pet' allows you to kite a target into your ice aura since the compulsion only ends during the turn after they are next to you. If you move before then, they have to keep moving also. Phrased the wording of each to make them clearer.
    Oh I figured as much.

You're a bard, right? Aren't all morale bonuses [Mind-Affecting]? You can't use the super sadism if you have mindblank, which is common at those levels. T.T
    Maybe it should be explicitly not [Mind-Affecting].
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-10-01 at 10:21 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post

Just cause it was a bit of a stretch at places doesn't mean I didn't pay attention to things... you do get into the oddest places

Though I must note that forgoing gifs does mean letting precious details slip by now

I think it's a nice touch that you're using feats. However, I think you mean Bind Vestige and Improved Bind Vestige
    To bind a 2nd or 3rd level vestige through feats (without binder levels that is) you require Improved Bind Vestige, however you only gain 1 ability from it unless you also have Practiced Binder which grants you a second ability with Bind Vestige and/or Improved Bind Vestige. Now for food food!
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2016-10-01 at 11:08 PM.

Current Projects:

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

To bind a 2nd or 3rd level vestige through feats (without binder levels that is) you require Improved Bind Vestige, however you only gain 1 ability from it unless you also have Practiced Binder which grants you a second ability with Bind Vestige and/or Improved Bind Vestige. Now for food food!
    There we go. never check rules for subsystems without your book, guys!
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Of course you technically need Bind Vestige to bind a vestige and Improved Bind Vestige just lets you bind higher level ones, so technically to get either ability you need both feats and all three for the second ability, but you'd need to do something cheesy to get a random feat as a bonus feat without meeting its prerequisites to get that situation, and if you're trying to apply legalese and weird parsing to homebrew instead of just going obvious RAI you're doing something really odd.

Current Projects:

13. - Top - End - #103

BardGuy

Its ok, we forgive you.

I'm glad you like it though. I'm good with ideas, just not so much as putting them into legalese.

And a binder high enough level to use Frostscape doesn't have ready access to Mind Blank without shenanigans. Are you a shenanigator? If you're that much of a shenanigator, you can figure something out.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Its ok, we forgive you.

I'm glad you like it though. I'm good with ideas, just not so much as putting them into legalese.

And a binder high enough level to use Frostscape doesn't have ready access to Mind Blank without shenanigans. Are you a shenanigator? If you're that much of a shenanigator, you can figure something out.
    Actually outside of Wizards and a few Sorcerers (it's on a domain list so Clerics can get it), Binders are one of the few classes with native access to Mind Blank or at least the relevant (mind-affecting) bit as they gain it from Soul Guardian at 19th level. Also is 'hey wizard buddy I'll give you this 64,000 GP pearl of power lv 8 if you cast Mind Blank on me every day' really shenanigans?

Edit: Also vestiges normally only grant Su abilities, even when duplicating spells they do so as Su abilities (using CL = binder level where necessary). That said there are mechanical benefits of Su over Sp so switching to Sp to avoid those makes sense, however, Ex's mechanical benefits over Su are non-existent when soul binding itself is Su.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2016-10-02 at 12:19 AM.

Current Projects:

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

It pleases me to see so many vestiges made already. ... Even if most of them were made by one person.

Sweep #1

Adamna, the First Homunculus (unseenmage)
    Draconium, Covetous Stretched too Far (Draconium)
    Al'Pala, Spirit of Loyalty (LoyalPaladin)
    Mahroni, the Violist (Mahroni Violist)
    Blackhawk the Slayer (Blackhawk748)
    Zaydos, the Peanut Dragon (Zaydos)
    Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo (MeepoFire)
    It that Forgot and was Forgotten (ryu)
    Red Fel, the Helpful Advisor (Red Fel)
    Xuldarinar, the Shadow that Warns (Xuldrinar)
    Cerefel, the Song of Battle (Cerefel)
    Waker of Souls (Waker)
    Socratov, the First Bartender (Socratov)
    NeoPhoenix, the Chaos Senshi (NeoPhoenix0)
    Frostscape of Absolute Zero (Snowbluff)
    Khadgar, Master of the House (khadgar567)
    Bifrons, Carrier of the Gray Death (GrayDeath)
    Dark Red, the Voice of the Dragon

Extended Signature Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

As much as it god damn wants.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Khadgar, Master of the House
    thanks ilyahr and things to do
    pop a harem making vestige ( prerequisite permanent binding feat)
    make permanent binding feat

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Is it bad that the last four I made are secretly connected?

Whatever bard first sang Cerefel probably hung out in Socratov's inn before going to battle against the Ancient Ones. The Ancient Ones are a subset of the Lords of Chaos that NeoPhoenix served. Meanwhile the Eternal Song which granted Bifrons power is one of the Ancient Ones, who was probably fought primarily by aforementioned bard and victory dragons despite most likely being the ur-song from which all music was born. Apparently I just make the assumption in setting building that at the dawn of time there was a war which heavily involved Bards vs Lovecraftian horrors.

Xuldarinar just parasitically references my other brew for Xuldarinar (in that the evil he encountered was the Elder Evil Darinarxul). Red Fel probably came later than the newest four. I think It that Forgot and was Forgotten is from the future but I don't really know, Vecna might but we're not on talking terms after I stole his foot. Pyrohignus is not related to primordial wars. Blackhawk is again probably later than primordial days of the first songs and bars. Same with Draconium and Mahroni, and Al'Pala might have been around back then but it's not part of his story and therefore not relevant.

Current Projects:

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Heliom, The Traveling Teacher (Heliomance)

Vestige Level: 6th
    Binding DC: 26
    Special Requirement: No.

Legend: The legend of Heliom is scattered and unclear, with tales about her deeds being told amongst dwarves, elves, halflings, humans and even far more exotic races such as lycanthropes or fiends.

All these stories share a similar motive: a reclusive community is threatened by some great and foreign evil, only for a strange individual to visit. This stranger is always in the possession of a set of obscure and powerful skills, which she teaches to the threatened villagers. The threat is defeated by the newly trained heroes working as one, and the stranger leaves again.

Over time, this teacher came to be called Heliom, an old-elvish shortening of the phrase 'She who comes and leaves as the sun'. Despite her skills, methods and personality being different each time, more and more started to believe that all these characters were one.

Yet during one of the Heliom's appearances, this time with the teacher possessing inhuman powers of infiltration and exploration, she was cornered by a gruesome monster. Desparate, Heliom used her most legendary trick yet: she escaped by entering a world beyond ours, where she still roams today.

Manifestation: An iron statue of a long-haired, bespectacled individual with many arms rises from the seal, tightly holding a different weapon or tool in each limb. Heliom silently hears its summoners' plea, then opens three of its hands.

Sign: A pair of iron spectacles appears on your nose or equivalent organ. They cannot be removed by any means, though suppressing the sign makes them disappear normally.

Influence: Heliom requests the ability to keep secrets. You cannot willingly reveal information entrusted to you by others, including all you learn through the Receive and Relay ability. In addition, you must not reveal Heliom's true nature, but instead pretend to be the teacher yourself.

Granted Powers: Heliom grants you the ability to silently share information between allies and take on a few of the skills this enigmatic teacher has mastered over the years.

Receive and Relay. Any ally within 60 feet of you can communicate telepathically with any other ally within 60 feet of you. However, unlike normal telepathy, this communication passes through you, and you learn all that is said. Note that you cannot send telepathic messages yourself.

Heliom's Aspects. When you bind Heliom, roll 3d20, rerolling all duplicate dice. Look the three results up on the table below, which determine what skills the vestige grants you today. Every time you make a new binding check to bind Heliom, you must reroll these dice.

Roll Aspect Name Granted Ability
    1 Lasher's Weapon As a standard action, you can summon a whip of your size to your hand. It has an enhancement bonus (or equivalent enhancement) equal to one-fourth your binder level. For example, a 16th-level binder could summon a +2 Keen Flaming whip. You are proficient with this weapon and it disappears (until you summon it again) if it leaves your hand for more than 1 round.

In addition, when using a whip you can deal lethal rather than nonlethal damage, and you can damage creatures with (natural) armor bonuses up to your binder level, rather than the usual values.
    2 Dungeon Lord's Eyes As a standard action, you can gain the benefits of a Clairaudience/Clairvoyance spell, except the sensor only lasts for 1 minute.
    3 Witchborn's Weapon As a standard action, you can fire a glob of dispelling energy at a target within 60 feet of you. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to hit your target. Treat this as a targeted dispel magic with a caster level equal to your binder level, except a creature with an active spell on it dispelled by this effect also takes 1 point of damage per level of the spell effect (no save).
    4 Slime Lord's Malice As a standard action, you can make a melee touch attack against a creature within your reach. On a hit, the target must make a Fortitude saving throw or be paralyzed for 1d4+1 rounds. Once you have used this ability, you must wait 5 rounds before you can use it again.
    5 Guide's Knack You gain a bonus on bluff, diplomacy and survival checks equal to half your binder level. In addition, you learn three languages of your choice for the duration of the pact, as if you had taken the appropriate number or ranks in Speak Language.
    6 Chanter's Song As a standard action, you can begin to chant a dwarvish battle song. All allies within 60 feet of you gain a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, and constitution-based checks, while all enemies within 60 feet take a -2 morale penalty on such rolls. The song lasts for a number of rounds equal to your binder level, though you may end it early.

While using this ability, you cannot speak or do anything requiring speech. If you are paralyzed, enter a Silenced area, have your vocal chords torn out or are otherwise incapable of chanting, the song immediately ends.
    7 Giant-slayer's Swiftness Your base land speed increases by 10 feet.

In addition, whenever you damage a creature larger than you in melee, it is shaken for 1 round.
    8 Fang's Senses You gain darkvision and tremorsense with a range of 60 feet. You also gain a bonus on spot and search checks equal to half your binder level.
    9 Protector's Speed As a swift action, you can gain the benefits of a Haste spell for 1 round. Once you have used this ability, you must wait for 5 rounds before using it again.
    10 Initiate's Precision Your ranged weapon attacks deal 1d8 extra points of precision damage for each four binder levels you possess.
    11 Key's Preparedness When you are submerged in water, you gain the benefit of a Water Breathing spell for 5 rounds.
    When you fall more than 5 feet, you gain the benefit of a Feather Fall spell for 5 rounds.
    When you are paralyzed, you gain the benefit of a Remove Paralysis spell.

When you use this ability, you must wait 5 rounds before you can use it again.
    12 Channeler's Glory As a standard action, you can fire a ray of magic-infused fire at a target within 60 feet of you. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to hit and deal 1d6 points of fire damage + 1d6 per three binder levels. This damage ignores fire resistance and is merely halved by fire immunity.
    13 Adept's Bitterness As a standard action, you can attempt to touch a target within your reach. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to hit and deal 1d6 points of acid damage + 1d6 per three binder levels. Against objects, you deal double this damage.
    14 Marauder's Footsteps As a swift action, you can teleport 60 feet. This movement must both begin and end in an area of shadow. Once you use this ability, you must wait 5 rounds before you can use it again.
    15 Thief's Borrowing As a standard action, you can make a single melee attack. If it hits, you gain temporary hit points equal to the HD of the creature you damaged. These temporary hit points last for 1 minute per binder level.
    16 Champion's Knowledge You gain a bonus on Knowledge (History) checks equal to your binder level. Your effective binder level is 2 higher for the purpose of determining the effect of the abilities granted by the vestiges you bind. It does not allow you to bind vestiges of a higher level than you otherwise could.
    17 Skyguard's Mount As a full-round action, you can summon a hippogriff, complete with saddle and reins. It has a bonus to intelligence and strength equal to one-fourth your binder level and can communicate with you telepathically. This creature serves you as a trained mount for up to 1 hour per binder level, or until it is killed, you dismiss it, or your pact with Heliom ends. You can use this ability once per day.
    18 Martyr's Return If you die while possessing this ability, you immediately return as if a Revenance spell has been cast on you, except the duration is one round per binder level. If you die in a way that doesn't leave a mostly intact body (such as complete disintegration) this ability has no effect.

In addition to the normal effects, you also gain a +4 bonus to charisma, a deflection bonus to AC equal to your charisma bonus, and immunity to acid, cold and electricity. You also brightly illuminate the area within 60 feet of you.

Once you have used this ability, you cannot use it a second time until you bind Heliom again.
    19 Hunter's Skin You gain damage reduction 10/silver.
    20 Master's Shapeshift As a standard action, you can gain the benefit of an Alter Self spell. This effect lasts for 1 minute per binder level. Once you use this ability, you must wait for 5 rounds before you can use it again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Here's to 20 great Iron Chef competitions, Heliomance.

Oooh we need to do GiantITP regulars as inevitables at some point.
    I second, third, and fourth this motion.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-10-08 at 11:01 AM.

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

19. - Top - End - #109

BardGuy

Whatever bard first sang Cerefel probably hung out in Socratov's inn before going to battle against the Ancient Ones. The Ancient Ones are a subset of the Lords of Chaos that NeoPhoenix served. Meanwhile the Eternal Song which granted Bifrons power is one of the Ancient Ones, who was probably fought primarily by aforementioned bard and victory dragons despite most likely being the ur-song from which all music was born. Apparently I just make the assumption in setting building that at the dawn of time there was a war which heavily involved Bards vs Lovecraftian horrors.
    For the record, I was at a friend's realm. I wasn't even there. I was promised it would never be brought up again.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

If anyone is interested in doing one for me, and needs inspiration, my namesake Thurbane was a 2E Evoker - big on direct damage effects. He was also big on esoteric knowledge, and fancied himself a bit of a melee combatanat (although truth be told wasn't very good at it). He was strongly LN, and very big on discipline and organization.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    If anyone is interested in doing one for me, and needs inspiration, my namesake Thurbane was a 2E Evoker - big on direct damage effects. He was also big on esoteric knowledge, and fancied himself a bit of a melee combatanat (although truth be told wasn't very good at it). He was strongly LN, and very big on discipline and organization.
    I'm on it!

Extended signature!

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Ooh, good idea. If the "Soulknives are cool!" wasn't enough inspiration, there's the character I based my avatar after: Thrond Silvermane, a 1st level CG Mountain Dwarf Wild Magic Sorcerer (it was in a 5th Ed. game, though I generally prefer Pathfinder) who, due to an amulet the DM threw in that always made my Wild magic trigger (because he thought it was funny) and insanely good for us/bad for them rolls, managed to, with the help of the rest of the party, kill an adult blue dragon, while we were, I repeat, level 1. You can read the story here.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2016-10-02 at 04:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Firbolg in the Playground

Stuff.

Spoiler: Then again, you want to be careful around them.
    Show

Ten year old girls. Ace mecha pilots. Hardened Killers. No proper upbringing or moral compass. WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

Have to get Saffron out of her streetwalker kit.

I mean, not that way.

Some weird Anglo-Indian slang creeping in lately. Haman must have left a Flashman novel lying around.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    <snip>
    That's very cool, thanks ^_^
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh I do wonder how many of you really remember me.
    And how much of me is remembered.

That being said; Oh, hi everyone. It is I, returned once more from the dark places.
    I've been bothering Thurbane a bit already, so now on to bugging Snow again. (Hi Snow. Miss me?)

Anyway; I'm in the permapermissions thread, but I'll say it here for good measure. Vestigize me (because someone made it a word.)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSerpent View Post
    I INSPIRE AWE IN MY ENEMIES BY SERVING THEM TEA.
    Awesome Avatar courtesy of Ava. Adopt an Avatar today!

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Ooh, good idea. If the "Soulknives are cool!" wasn't enough inspiration, there's the character I based my avatar after: Thrond Silvermane, a 1st level CG Mountain Dwarf Wild Magic Sorcerer (it was in a 5th Ed. game, though I generally prefer Pathfinder) who, due to an amulet the DM threw in that always made my Wild magic trigger (because he thought it was funny) and insanely good for us/bad for them rolls, managed to, with the help of the rest of the party, kill an adult blue dragon, while we were, I repeat, level 1. You can read the story here.
    this is more like it permission and some info about you would be nice

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Thurbane, Motion Unmoving (Thurbane)

Vestige Level: 5th
    Binding DC: 22
    Special Requirement: Thurbane will not respond to a chaotic creature's attempt to bind him.

Legend: A popular notion, strengthened by Limbo's entropic nature and Mechanus rigidness, is that Law is necessarily averse to change and motion. This is not true: the laws of motion and energy are laws all the same: to break them would be nothing if not Chaotic. The Quaruts, guardians of space and time, exist to prevent this.

The evoker Thurbane was simultaneously a disciplined exemplar of Law and an user of world-shattering evocations. When he died, his soul's rebirth as a Quarut was only natural. Now a true incarnation of the universal constants of energy and change, he hunted down all who would threaten the natural order with great gusto.

During his final mission, the quarut was tasked with hunting down a cabal of Acheronians that sought to petrify the entire multiverse. However, the powerful casters managed to incapacitate him. Then, with magic rare, they did what none would ever have thought possible: they petrified an inevitable, a construct.

However, the complete cessation of Thurbane's motion, the very thing it exemplified, affected the surrounding area in ways unexpected. Objects started or stopped moving without cause, or delivered disproportionately large amounts of energy when colliding. Within seconds, the area within miles of the cult's headquarters was devastated, leaving no trace of Thurbane or his opponents.

Manifestation: A featureless stone sphere appears in the seal's midst and immediately begins movement, bouncing off the seal's boundary. Every time it bounces, it changes form. The cycle of changes is always the same, starting with the sphere, then a human head, a flaming sphere, a middle-aged human's head, an orb of acid, an elderly human's head, a ball of lightning, a quarut's mechanic head and finally the featureless rock again. While appearing human or inevitable, the sphere speaks in a monotonous voice, requesting the reason for its summoning.

Sign: One of your eyes is replaced with a sphere of fire, a ball of lightning, an orb of acid or a fine icy mist, chosen when you make the pact. This does not affect your sight or damage you.

Influence: Thurbane is appalled by attempts to restrict or hinder any being's movement. He requests you do not limit a creature's (including yourself) ability to move while bound to him. This includes effects that reduce a creature's speed (such as the Iron Body and Armor Lock spells) or inflict a condition that prevents movement (such as Dazed or Stunned). Note that effects that block movement in a specific direction only, such as bodily occupying a corridor or creating a Wall of Stone, are still allowed. You can still kill or incapacitate opponents.

Granted Abilities:

Accelerated Movement: You gain a +20 enhancement bonus to your base land speed.

Kinetic Touch: As a standard action, you can make a melee touch attack. A creature hit by the attack takes 1d6 points of damage for each three binder levels you possess and must make a strength check opposed by your charisma check or be flung back 1d6x10 feet. If this movement forces the target into a solid object, it takes 1d6 points of damage. If this movement forces the target into another creature, both take 1d6 points of damage.

Energy Ball: As a standard action, you can create a sphere of pure energy and fling it at a square within 60 feet of you. All creatures in a 10 ft-radius burst from that point take 1d6 points of fire, electricity, acid or cold damage for each three binder levels you possess. The damage type is determined by the choice you made when you bound Thurbane (see the 'sign' section above). Once you have used this ability, you must wait for 5 rounds before you can use it again.

Calculate Prior State: You gain a bonus on knowledge checks equal to one-quarter your binder level.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I chose to focus on the evocations and lawfulness here. I hope it is satisfactory.

Extended signature!

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: [3.5/PF] GitP Regulars as Vestiges Type II

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Thurbane, Motion Unmoving (Thurbane)

Vestige Level: 5th
    Binding DC: 22
    Special Requirement: Thurbane will not respond to a chaotic creature's attempt to bind him.

Legend: A popular notion, strengthened by Limbo's entropic nature and Mechanus rigidness, is that Law is necessarily averse to change and motion. This is not true: the laws of motion and energy are laws all the same: to break them would be nothing if not Chaotic. The Quaruts, guardians of space and time, exist to prevent this.

The evoker Thurbane was simultaneously a disciplined exemplar of Law and an user of world-shattering evocations. When he died, his soul's rebirth as a Quarut was only natural. Now a true incarnation of the universal constants of energy and change, he hunted down all who would threaten the natural order with great gusto.

During his final mission, the quarut was tasked with hunting down a cabal of Acheronians that sought to petrify the entire multiverse. However, the powerful casters managed to incapacitate him. Then, with magic rare, they did what none would ever have thought possible: they petrified an inevitable, a construct.

However, the complete cessation of Thurbane's motion, the very thing it exemplified, affected the surrounding area in ways unexpected. Objects started or stopped moving without cause, or delivered disproportionately large amounts of energy when colliding. Within seconds, the area within miles of the cult's headquarters was devastated, leaving no trace of Thurbane or his opponents.

Manifestation: A featureless stone sphere appears in the seal's midst and immediately begins movement, bouncing off the seal's boundary. Every time it bounces, it changes form. The cycle of changes is always the same, starting with the sphere, then a human head, a flaming sphere, a middle-aged human's head, an orb of acid, an elderly human's head, a ball of lightning, a quarut's mechanic head and finally the featureless rock again. While appearing human or inevitable, the sphere speaks in a monotonous voice, requesting the reason for its summoning.

Sign: One of your eyes is replaced with a sphere of fire, a ball of lightning, an orb of acid or a fine icy mist, chosen when you make the pact. This does not affect your sight or damage you.

Influence: Thurbane is appalled by attempts to restrict or hinder any being's movement. He requests you do not limit a creature's (including yourself) ability to move while bound to him. This includes effects that reduce a creature's speed (such as the Iron Body and Armor Lock spells) or inflict a condition that prevents movement (such as Dazed or Stunned). Note that effects that block movement in a specific direction only, such as bodily occupying a corridor or creating a Wall of Stone, are still allowed. You can still kill or incapacitate opponents.

Granted Abilities:

Accelerated Movement: You gain a +20 enhancement bonus to your base land speed.

Kinetic Touch: As a standard action, you can make a melee touch attack. A creature hit by the attack takes 1d6 points of damage for each three binder levels you possess and must make a strength check opposed by your charisma check or be flung back 1d6x10 feet. If this movement forces the target into a solid object, it takes 1d6 points of damage. If this movement forces the target into another creature, both take 1d6 points of damage.

Energy Ball: As a standard action, you can create a sphere of pure energy and fling it at a square within 60 feet of you. All creatures in a 10 ft-radius burst from that point take 1d6 points of fire, electricity, acid or cold damage for each three binder levels you possess. The damage type is determined by the choice you made when you bound Thurbane (see the 'sign' section above). Once you have used this ability, you must wait for 5 rounds before you can use it again.

Calculate Prior State: You gain a bonus on knowledge checks equal to one-quarter your binder level.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I chose to focus on the evocations and lawfulness here. I hope it is satisfactory.
    Excellent stuff, thank you kindly!

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaydos, I wholeheartedly approve.

Thank you. :)

On a Sidenote: Thies is the Theme Song for poor Old Bifrons "Fall from Hell"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYJGt67Mwmo
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Its ok, we forgive you.

Actually outside of Wizards and a few Sorcerers (it's on a domain list so Clerics can get it), Binders are one of the few classes with native access to Mind Blank or at least the relevant (mind-affecting) bit as they gain it from Soul Guardian at 19th level. .
    Haures, a 6th level vestige, grants mind blank. He also gives majors image, incorporeal movement, and phantasmal killer, so he's quite good.