New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 53 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum, Form smells a Random Banter #235

Urgh.

I've been trying to get s board game or RPG group with my friends set up for the least few months, only to discover they're all in their own groups without the free time for another one. Groups I'm only just hearing about, even if they say them up themselves, and which I seem to be very implicitly not invited to

Yeah, not exactly happy at the moment. Of course nobody's willing to actually about that they don't want to play games with me, it's always just bad luck that they never think to invite me (to game nights, concert trips, anything...)

Like, it's not like I can't get to board game clubs of I look, but there's a difference between that and playing them with people I trust (even if I don't exactly like them at the moment).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    And then they cut your balls off.
    "Darwin has no hold over me (even if some other humans do)" -cat

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    ... Might still be a good deal overall.
    Oh, absolutely.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2021-10-15 at 11:06 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Urgh.

I've been trying to get s board game or RPG group with my friends set up for the least few months, only to discover they're all in their own groups without the free time for another one. Groups I'm only just hearing about, even if they say them up themselves, and which I seem to be very implicitly not invited to

Yeah, not exactly happy at the moment. Of course nobody's willing to actually about that they don't want to play games with me, it's always just bad luck that they never think to invite me (to game nights, concert trips, anything...)

Like, it's not like I can't get to board game clubs of I look, but there's a difference between that and playing them with people I trust (even if I don't exactly like them at the moment).
    That's ****, being excluded like that, even if 'only' implicitly. :/

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    That's ****, being excluded like that, even if 'only' implicitly. :/
    Oh, that's probably the politest way I've put it when talking to people. But yes, it makes me feel like less of a friend and more 'the thing we can't be bothered to shoo away'.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-10-15 at 11:55 AM.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, that's probably the politest way I've put it when talking to people. But yes, it makes me feel like less of a friend and more 'the thing we can't be bothered to shoo away'.
    Yeah, I had that a... lot. It's a really sucky feeling. And I'm sorry you're going through that.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Right, but since they consider all non-human life to be "evil" and want to destroy all evil, with no regard for the human casualties that happen alongside that process...

OH! Do they consider it a last resort because it's too quick, and doesn't allow them to torture the "evil" flora and fauna (because they're already dead, and can no longer experience pain)
    Now you're just memeing again

On a broad scale in 40k, alien life is considered not so much pure evil as untrustworthy. There are sanctioned xenos, protectorate species, even temporary alliances at times. It also varies based on who you ask.

It's considered a last resort partly because of the loss of human life on such a grand scale (stop laughing), but largely because it renders a planet uninhabitable and the Imperium's terraforming technology is slow. Like, 'takes millennia and immense resources to get even near habitable' slow.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

Today I learned that a surprisingly high number of forumites would be fine with unwilling mutilation in exchange for a lifetime of food and catering. Not sure what to do with that information, but I am curious: Would it be the same if we throw "taking away your children" into the equation?

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I learned about it via one of the Twitter news things.

Headline: Superman's coming out of the closet.

What's actually happening: Superman's son is temporarily taking up the mantle and, at the same time, entering a relationship with a male friend.

That has to be on purpose. You don't do something that misleading by mistake.
    Hold on. Superman has a son? Like with Lois Lane the old-fashionned way, with somebody else, through adoption or through some time travel/cloning/magic/soul duplication/several of the above bull****tery?
    Urgh.

Ouch. Have you tried having an honest conversation with them about how you feel? This really might not have been intentional on their part, and if it is, you may want to stop considering them as friends.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Today I learned that a surprisingly high number of forumites would be fine with unwilling mutilation in exchange for a lifetime of food and catering. Not sure what to do with that information, but I am curious: Would it be the same if we throw "taking away your children" into the equation?
    I think most of them are half joking, but if I had to choose, I’ll stay a human and keep all my bits attached, thank you very much.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't have children to take away, I won't have children to take away, and if I were neutered I definitely wouldn't.

Also, one of the reasons I expect I wouldn't be particularly upset with part of my genitalia being surgically removed as an infant is that part of my genitalia was surgically removed as an infant, and I'm not particularly upset.

...was that TMI?
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2021-10-15 at 02:09 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Colossus in the Playground

Hold on. Superman has a son? Like with Lois Lane the old-fashionned way, with somebody else, through adoption or through some time travel/cloning/magic/soul duplication/several of the above bull****tery?

Ouch. Have you tried having an honest conversation with them about how you feel? This really might not have been intentional on their part, and if it is, you may want to stop considering them as friends.
    I'm a trans woman, that's kind of the plan here, yeah (well I mean it's not unwilling but you get what I mean. Also cats need to be spayed and neutered because they are very dangerous to the environment. It's a responsibility that must be done in certain circumstances. Most people don't feel good about getting it done.)

Yeah, an actual honest to god son via normal ways. I only know about this due to the aforementioned "Superman (the current holder of the mantle) is gay now (actually bi)", and I only know about that due to watching other people dunk on the people being mad about it. Funny how that works.

Agreed on this.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2021-10-15 at 02:21 PM.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ha! Joke's on you! I have no children, nor do I want any, so if I did inadvertently have some you're quite welcome to take the little pests away!

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'm a trans woman, that's kind of the plan here, yeah

(well I mean it's not unwilling but you get what I mean. Also cats need to be spayed and neutered because they are very dangerous to the environment. It's a responsibility that must be done in certain circumstances. Most people don't feel good about getting it done.)
    Sounds like they are putting their desire to own a cat over the cat's well-being, then.

Yeah, an actual honest to god son via normal ways. I only know about this due to the aforementioned "Superman (the current holder of the mantle) is gay now (actually bi)", and I only know about that due to watching other people dunk on the people being mad about it. Funny how that works.
    Like I said upthread, exploiting the outrage of Internet weirdos is now a viable marketing strategy. Which isn't a good thing at all.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ettin in the Playground

Sounds like they are putting their desire to own a cat over the cat's well-being, then.
    Are you claiming that "not having testicles" is a fate worse than death?

There are too many cats, and it's the fault of humans, and we need to do damage-control somehow for the sake of all the birds and rodents and such.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2021-10-15 at 02:59 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

14. - Top - End - #554

Like I said upthread, exploiting the outrage of Internet weirdos is now a viable marketing strategy. Which isn't a good thing at all.
    I always was good at chess.

I mean the alternative is the cat likely not existing? It's one of those complicated matters. As Enderlord says, we kinda ****ed up the cat population and made a scenario where they can eradicate entire swathes of wildlife if we're not careful. We need to BE careful now. That said, and this might just be me not fully getting it, but can't they just give them a little kitty vasectomy instead of full removal?

What's funny about this conversation is that I've thought off and on about getting a cat one day. I'm super nervous about like, entrusting the life of another creature to my own.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

More like "I wanted a cat and this necessitates destroying your reproductive system, but I'll feel bad about it" isn't really doing anything for the cat, though see below.

There are too many cats, and it's the fault of humans, and we need to do damage-control somehow for the sake of all the birds and rodents and such.
    This is news to me. Has there been any study on what releasing the housecat population into the wild would have as consequences?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-10-15 at 03:10 PM.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

... How did you get 'worse than death' from that?

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #557
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

This is news to me. Has there been any study on what releasing the housecat population into the wild would have as consequences?
    Yes.

Short version, they are more less foreign apex predators in most settled areas, which bodes poorly for the native wildlife - they are responsible for billions of mammillian deaths and have caused several extinctions.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

I don't have children to take away, I won't have children to take away, and if I were neutered I definitely wouldn't.

Also, one of the reasons I expect I wouldn't be particularly upset with part of my genitalia being surgically removed as an infant is that part of my genitalia was surgically removed as an infant, and I'm not particularly upset.

...was that TMI?
    As somebody who didn't go through this fate, it's more creepy than anything else to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'm a trans woman, that's kind of the plan here, yeah (well I mean it's not unwilling but you get what I mean. Also cats need to be spayed and neutered because they are very dangerous to the environment. It's a responsibility that must be done in certain circumstances. Most people don't feel good about getting it done.)
    Yeah, I know several people seeking genial alteration for similar reasons. And somebody who sadly went through all the hoops and then moved here and had to start the process again.

As to cats and other pets, I'm personally uncomfortable with applying the surgical method. But the short line is that if you have a pretty, you control it's reproduction, and pretty much any alternative method is higher maintenance.

My mum used to have unfixed cats when I was young. I remember the girls occasionally disappearing to the vet's for hormonal birth control.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Well now your just being unfun and being determined to ruin my joke about cats. wonder how much you'd like your joke being ruined eh? this is what happens when your ruin jokes Fyraltari, things get weird. I don't mind weirdness but I still don't like that you ruined my joke.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

20. - Top - End - #560

Six of one. Johnathon Kent II is the human/Kryptonian Hybrid son of Clark Kent and Lois Lane-Kent, conceived via the traditional manner.

Asa child he had all of the same powers as his father at roughly half strength, in exchange for only being half s vulnerable to Kryptonite, but it;s been stated that as he matures and absorbs more yellow sun radiation that he'll eventually eclipse his father's own rate of growth.

He honestly should still be a child, based on the timeline of the current interaction of the Dc universe, but he went into space for a while and came back a teen. I'm confused as to how but IIRC it was at least loosely related to the "you know, Doctor Manhattan is kind of an *******" storyline that had been going on and off since the shift to New 52.

Look, I'm gonna be honest I stopped being actively interested in DC when Flashpoint happened and reset the universe again. The fact that keeps doing that honestly pissses me off.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

Look, I'm gonna be honest I stopped being actively interested in DC when Flashpoint happened and reset the universe again. The fact that keeps doing that honestly pissses me off.
    You think DC superheroes get deja vu from essentially living an eternal groundhog day loop from all their universe resets? Like what if the DC universe is just a super-powered Death Loop and Superman wakes up one day realizing the same events keep happening over and over again and he has to do something to break the loop? and his enemy that also remembers the loops is like, Darkseid trying to maintain the loop to maximize despair.

it'd be called.....DC Loop.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

DC keeps trying to recapture the glory of Crisis on Infinite Earths. The problem being you can only really do that once in a blue moon.

If your continuity can change every time one of your editors sneezes a little too hard, then why would or should anyone care about your story?

Extended Sig

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ettin in the Playground

You think DC superheroes get deja vu from essentially living an eternal groundhog day loop from all their universe resets? Like what if the DC universe is just a super-powered Death Loop and Superman wakes up one day realizing the same events keep happening over and over again and he has to do something to break the loop? and his enemy that also remembers the loops is like, Darkseid trying to maintain the loop to maximize despair.

it'd be called.....DC Loop.
    Darkseid hasn't done that, but Perpetua basically did, in the latest loopCrisis-event, known as Dark Nights: Death Metal. It's one of only two times I've liked one of those events, alongside the original Crisis of Infinite Earths.

Perpetua, by the way, was both:

....From a Doylist perspective, just the newest iteration of the Anti-Monitor...

...and...

...From a Wattsonian perspective, the mother of the (Doylistly-)original Anti-Monitor.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2021-10-15 at 08:02 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

24. - Top - End - #564

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    If your continuity can change every time one of your editors sneezes a little too hard, then why would or should anyone care about your story?
    You've summed up comics in general for me.

25. - Top - End - #565

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You've summed up comics in general for me.
    I'm pretty sure that's only DC.

Marvel hasn't done a hard reset since their continuity started in '39. There have been retcons. yes, but in general.

And even most of the retcons are in the form of "we guessed wrong" ot "there's more information that we weren't aware of" or "someone lied to us" rather than just changing continuity.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #566

Marvel hasn't done a hard reset since their continuity started in '39. There have been retcons. yes, but in general.

And even most of the retcons are in the form of "we guessed wrong" ot "there's more information that we weren't aware of" or "someone lied to us" rather than just changing continuity.
    Isn't Marvel rather infamous for their resurrecting characters?

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

So if DC is Death Loop, then Marvel is Dark Souls, because people die but don't stay dead and just keep screwing up the world and having to fight off zombies because of it?
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-10-15 at 08:43 PM.

28. - Top - End - #568

Yeah, but those are just resurrections.

The character's death usually isn't retconned and continuity isn't reset. Something just happens to bring the character back to life.

Sometimes a resurrection will be later revealed to actually be a clone or a highly sophisticated android instead of the real person come back.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Titan in the Playground

No, Marvel prefers character assassination to retcons. Which really isn't much better. DC at least made their confusing continuity into a coherent and kinda interesting metaplot on two or three occasions.

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #570

Yeah, but those are just resurrections.
    So here's the thing. You're getting into the weeds on the specific mechanics of how each thing works. I'm saying "they are narratively resetting things so they don't have to stick with the change they made". I don't care about the specifics. I care about how DC narratively resets things so they don't have to stick with the change they made while Marvel narratively resets things so they don't have to stick with the change they made.