New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Hot Mech-on-Mech Action: A Campaign Journal

Alternatively titled "Blade is a massive Armored Core fanboy".

So I'm running a game IRL in a system I've never used before called Chromestrike. If you haven't heard of it, that's okay because I don't think it's very well-known. I picked it because I wanted something relatively rules-light but crunchy enough for build decisions to feel like they matter, and moreover because I was on an Armored Core kick around the same time my previous game finished. The system is better than I expected for something whipped up in the pits of /tg/, though there are some polish issues, like the "body work" upgrade that provides a bonus to a type of roll that doesn't actually exist.

I'm also not using the setting included in the manual, because I apparently like making work for myself, and wrote my own setting that is definitely not ripping huge chunks out of various Armored Core games and pasting them together. There's a(n admittedly a bit sparse) setting "bible" in a Google Doc, for anyone interested.

So, yeah. I've never done a Campaign Journal before, so bear with me.

Spoiler: Dramatis Personae
    Show

Note: This is the case at the start of the campaign, and meant for new readers.

Herman “Trigger” Gunther: A mechanic from Tir City. Herman joined the underground resistance movement at the age of 14 and quickly discovered he had a penchant for both mechanical repair and high explosives, which he used to help the resistance sabotage key NRB facilities. He commandeered a stolen NRB MT and proved to have a knack for piloting mechs in addition to fixing them, fighting alongside fellow pilots and Rackham himself. When the city was freed, he took up a few contracts with his stolen MT until he could afford his own AC. Trigger is out to make money and keep throwing wrenches in NRB plans: He will go out of his way to take contracts that pay less if they involve attacking NRB or it's subsidiaries. Trigger pilots the AC Bergentrückung, a customized quad-leg design modeled after a pre-cataclysm animal known as a wolf.

(OOC Notes: Trigger's player really likes wolves for whatever reason. His mech is modeled after one pretty creatively, using an armless chassis, quad legs, and a head part that can include a one-handed weapon - a melee weapon in his case. That head part probably wasn't intended for that particular use, but I found the idea amusing enough to let him have a bite attack. The armless chassis also includes two "arms", or really weapon mounts, so he mounted a burst rifle on one to have a ranged attack. Despite his character's background in using explosives, his mech doesn't have any, though he's expressed an interest in buying missiles when the party has more money.)

Jack “Thunder” Wynter: Originally an orphan from New Rhodes, Jack Wynter grew up surrounded by crime in the city’s underbelly. He survived by becoming a runner for criminal syndicates, hauling whatever illegal goods needed to be moved around the city. As he grew up, Jack idolized the flashy, spectacular lives that pilots led and made it his dream to become one. Eventually, he made a name for himself as a runner in the Night Market, and garnered the attention of a sponsor. Seeing potential in Jack Wynter, said sponsor decided to patronize his career as a pilot, provided he could prove himself. With the beginnings of his dream realized, Jack Wynter works as a freelance pilot and is determined to climb to the top of the ranks. AC Lightning is an alarmingly fast biped armed with two blades.

(OOC Notes: Jack Wynter's sponsor is Asami's dad and he's supposed to be watching her back. Or else the Bei Fongs will be breaking his kneecaps. Or possibly worse. He's a good roleplayer and makes it work, though.)

Asami “Blossom” Bei Fong: Born into privilege, Asami is a daughter of the Bei Fong Family, a princess of a sort. Though she could have recieved almost anything she wanted on a silver platter had she asked, she found in herself a natural talent for working with technology and a silver tongue besides. Headstrong and independent, she decided to try her hand as a mech pilot on a whim; surely if her sister can do it, so can she. Right? Blossom pilots the AC Steel Hibiscus, a spindly-looking but surprisingly dense and tough mech equipped with a long-range heavy-bore rifle and a sophisticated electronic warfare suite.

(OOC Notes: Blossom's player is probably the most RP-focused member of the group, and she ended up picking a role that put her right in the middle of factional politics; her father is the CEO of one of the big Megacorporations. This clears a lot of paths for her...but danger lurks around every corner. She's a fantastic roleplayer and probably the only one of the group I actually trust to give this kind of role the respect and caution it deserves. She's also the smartest character in the party, all the better to use that Electronic Warfare System with. The sister mentioned is Bellatrix Bei Fong, a ranking member of Concord and pilot of a mech called Halberd...which, funnily enough, is also focused on hacking enemies to weaken them.)

“Hellfire” Stan: A hauntingly beautiful man with the fashion sense of a vampire, "Hellfire" Stan is actually quite the daredevil, relying on his wits and charm to get him through the day. He also has some history with DIS, and plays the flute. Hellfire pilots the AC Brimstone, a highly mobile machine with a jump pack and a pair of shotguns, purpose-built for getting in close and blindsiding enemies right where it hurts.

(OOC Notes: Hellfire's player hasn't given me a proper backstory yet, so watch this space. The player is the sort of guy who usually ends up playing the party face one way or another, and despite Chromestrike's lack of a bard class, Stan's highest stats are Grandeur and Allure, ensuring that he can talk his way through the kinds of situations that can be talked through. He's a ballsy roleplayer too, willing to take a lot of risks for the promise of reward. He's a fun guy.)

“Buddy” Dacote: A hardened man from the wastes, Buddy made his big break after finding a damaged AC and putting it back together. No one expected him to live long, but he beat the odds time and time again, even naming his mech after the predictions of death as a sort of macabre badge of honor. Buddy pilots the AC DoomedGuy, a reverse-joint lightweight made using primarily Bei Fong parts and loaded to the gills with missiles.

(OOC Notes: If this guy sounds like a joke, well, it's because he sort of is. Trigger's player built him for a guest player that ended up showing to the first session; Dacote is short for "dies at conclusion of the episode", and he was built with the Open Cockpit disadvantage. Open Cockpit causes every single hit against you to have a chance at causing instant death. Unfortunately, the guest player in question doesn't live nearby enough to meet regularly and probably will not be appearing often. Or at least that was the case; he's since become a permanent member of the party.)

Spoiler: May Contain Spoilers
    Show

Antonya “Boudicca” Greene: Born in Dhamburlan to the descendants of Glazfelli Royalty, Antonya left home at 14 to join a small waster warband. Carving out a name for herself with her Glazfelli Heirloom Sword and her skill at arms, she became a respected right hand to the Dham known as 'Baron Enormous'. When Enormous was killed four years later by another Dham known as Santangelo, Antonya fled Dhamburlan to the Arcadia Valley, where she found employment under KROSSCorp as a transport and occasional gunship pilot. When her 10-year contract was up, Antonya joined Bei-Fong Industries as a mech jockey and purchased her own AC. Boudicca pilots Britannia, a heavyweight biped armed with a shield and a Battle Cannon.

(OOC Notes: Played by Trigger's Player. Backup PC introduced after...events. Britannia isn't very mobile compared to the rest of the team, but it has good armor and its shield can absorb wounds at minimal cost. On top of this, her Battle Cannon has been specially modded to fire off an extra shot per attack and she has a shoulder-mounted NRB-57, which grant Britannia some impressive damage-dealing capabilities at close-to-medium range. Despite her lack of melee weapons, she isn't afraid to attempt to shield bash foes either, despite the risk of damage to the shield.)

Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2019-04-11 at 04:10 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Hot Mech-on-Mech Action: A Campaign Journal

If nothing else, the name for this journal sounds promising .
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mech action may or may not include lubrication, oil, and occasional penetration. Also rope from time to time.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mission 1

Spoiler: Spoilered for Length
    Show

Spoiler: Mission 1 Overview
    Show

Serpent's Fang: 0cr (varies)
    Employer: KROSSCorp
    Theatre of Operations: Sandalia Airfield
    Enemy Forces: NRB MTs, NRB Tanks, any NRB or CT pilots, CT GPACs.
    Conditions for Success: Eliminate Enemy Forces, Destroy AA Guns, Destroy Surface Access.
    Briefing:
    This a message from KROSSCorp. It has come to the attention of the Arcadian Transit Authority that Cerulean Horizons has constructed an airbase using a heretofore unknown surface access. Cerulean Horizons constructed this airbase in secret, using advanced methods to evade our sensors. This has come to our attention because NRB forces have seized this airfield and surface access, destroying CT's jamming technology in the process.

This concerns us. The airfield is close enough to the Arcadia Valley to act as a staging ground for bombing runs by CT aircraft, and the surface access allows them to continually supply this base with relative impunity. We believe that CT will attempt to recover this airfield from the NRB, and so we have a request. The pilots taking this contract will accept CT's contract, and will play that role for a time; when the time comes, the pilots shall turn on CT forces, eliminating any remaining foes of KROSSCorp. Finally, these pilots shall destroy Sandalia Airfield's Anti-Air defenses, as well as the Surface Access Elevator.

This mission is difficult and dangerous, and we understand if the mission must be abandoned before all conditions are met. Instead, we are offering a bounty on targets: 2cr for each AA emplacement, 3cr for each ranked pilot, 1cr for each NRB Tank or CT GPAC, and 10cr for the Surface Access. Eliminating the AA emplacements is the minimum requirement.

- Titania, KROSSCorp Liaison to Concord

(Musical suggestion)

Operator: "This is K.K. Sonnen, your operator. You're being deployed in an abandoned railway shaft near the area of operations. Your mission parameters are as follows: You will obtain entry to the underground portion of the NRB-occupied airfield and clear it of hostile targets. You will then sabotage the facility's Anti-Air Cannons and Surface Access; KROSSCorp has supplied you with five explosive charges and a detonator for this purpose. You will use the surface access - before destroying it - to ascend to the surface and finish clearing out NRB Presence, including the ranked pilot Grieg and his AC, Mountain King. You will then eliminate any and all CT forces on site before extraction. We can detonate on the way out. I'll be providing you with updates throughout this operation.

Good luck."

We open underground, within visual range of the NRB fortress' back door. They haven't had time to fortify and supply it yet, so the entrance is defended only by a pair of S1 Solomon Battlesuits and an S2 Jeshua Battlesuit. They have not yet spotted the party, since it appears the NRB presence hasn't managed to set up decent sensors yet either.

(Setting Note: The S1 Solomon Battlesuit is an NRB-made three-meter tall (mechs generally trend toward 4-5 meters tall) manned MT unit armed with a heavy machinegun. It's well-armored, but slow and relatively weak compared to a mech. It's also surprisingly dangerous in melee; it's agile enough to trip a mech, and it's strong enough to rip a hatch open and tear the pilot right out if you're on the ground. The S2 Jeshua is an upgrade over the Solomon, with added boosters for speed, additional armor, and the Heavy MG swapped out for a Grenade Launcher. This information is all known to Trigger due to previous encounters with NRB military forces, and he relates it to the party. It's useful information, since they'll be fighting several.)

The PCs open fire with impunity. Blossom destroys a Solomon in one hit with her Sniper Cannon while Bergentrückung, Lightning, and DoomedGuy attempt to get closer. The remaining Solomon and the Jeshua raise the alarm and attempt to return fire, but fail to hit the fast-moving Lightning. The fight is over by the second round, much to Thunder's chagrin: Blossom also destroyed the other Solomon in a single shot, and the Jeshua is brought down by the combined efforts of Trigger's Burst Rifle and Buddy's rockets.

Pushing forward, the PCs pull the doors right open to reach the staging room, containing the surface access and some side paths. There's a single S2 Jeshua standing guard. Trigger and Thunder charge it, but can't make an attack yet. The Jeshua responds by clubbing one of Lightning's legs with its gorilla-like arms, and in a moment of pure hilarity, blowing Bergentrückung's head off with its Grenade Launcher. Trigger flicks on emergency cams just as Blossom and Buddy destroy the Jeshua with their weapons, once again denying Thunder the opportunity to actually attack something.

(OOC note: Bergentrückung losing its head is less disabling than it sounds. It can't use any of the bonuses the head provides and takes some debuffs since it's no longer using its main cameras, but it's otherwise functional. Also, it's really Trigger's player's fault for having a head with only 1 hp.)

The PCs go down one of the side paths, seeking the guts underneath the AA emplacements; the silos where all the ammo and such are stored. They find the first one pretty quickly, guarded by a single Solomon around a tight corner. Thunder wins initiative and rips the thing apart in one round with his blades.

((OOC Note: Thunder's player laughs maniacally as he realizes he won't be denied his chance to get a kill this time. Also, at this point I look at my GM notes and realize running this exact same encounter three more times with the other AA guns would be dumb.))

Operator: "I've got camera access to the facility. There are three Solomon MTs converging on the entrance to your current side path, setting up a firing lane for you. Be careful."

Being Thunder, Thunder decides to charge right down the tunnel, into the converging Heavy Machinegun fire. In a legitimately jaw-dropping display of fail, all three of the Solomons roll twos and threes (on 2d6) with their Heavy MG attacks, causing their weapons to jam. With all three of them offensively disabled for two rounds, the team makes short work of them. They planted all five of the explosive charges and headed up the Surface Access Elevator, as ordered.

Midway up the elevator shaft, radio contact returned, along with a new unsecured channel, playing only a familiar tune...

Surface

The PCs were thrust into new fight at the top of the elevator: Grieg, piloting AC Mountain King and backed up by two M1 Abraham Tanks, though they were currently tied up fighting Spinal Tap.

Mountain King is an impressive foe, resembling nothing so much as a heavily-armed black swivel chair with four legs, oversized shotguns for arms, and a pair of rocket pods on its shoulders. Its pilot is Grieg, #48 in Concord's ranks and infamously terrible person that the PCs don't have to feel guilty about killing. His emblem is a troll's head with a golden crown, mounted on a spike. Grieg works for NRB, and is in fact in command of the NRB forces occupying Sandalia Airfield.

The AC already fighting Mountain King when the PCs arrive is Spinal Tap, piloted by a man known as Drumbeat. Drumbeat is one of CT's "Knights", not to be confused with the CT Knight, a model of GPAC. Spinal Tap is a red bipedal mech with two heads and dual rifles.

Thunder charged forward immediately but couldn't make it to melee range in one round, so didn't accomplish much. Trigger followed up with some dramatic taunts in Grieg's direction and a declaration of revenge, in addition to taking a potshot with his burst rifle, which failed to penetrate armor.

Trigger: "You killed my father!"
    *plink*
    Grieg: *laughs* "That may have been the most important day of your life, but for me, it was Tuesday."

(OOC Notes: Trigger's player did not discuss Grieg's personal responsibility for the death of his father with me. Normally, this would earn a GM frownyface, but I decided to roll with it. And the reference was too easy to pass up.)

Buddy took a chance, and fired a pair of guided missile called shots, aiming for the treads of the two tanks. Miraculously, he hit with both, and both Tanks rolled a natural 1 on their armor saves: They were stopped in their tracks with their treads disabled.

Grieg: "Cute. Now let me show you how it's done."
    He swivelled around to blast Lightning twice with his shotgun arms (dealing a hit to the chassis, though not wounding), and sweeping Bergentrückung with 6 rockets from his shoulder pods. 5 hit, though only 3 penetrated armor, dealing 3 wounds to the wolf-mech's chassis.

Blossom wasn't having any of that, and spent her turn hacking and used her Electronic Warfare System to disrupt Grieg's systems, successfully overwhelming his software defenses. The results were immediate; Mountain King's movements became sluggish and exaggerated. One tank took another shot at Spinal Tap, dealing a hit to the chassis, while the other attempted to shoot (and proceeded to miss) DoomedGuy. Finally, Spinal Tap made another pair of ineffectual shots at the tanks.

In round 2, the tables turned - fast. Lightning closed with the first tank, and tore two gaping holes in it with his blades (though didn't quite destroy it; the tank had 3 wounds and he only knocked off 2). While the severely damaged Bergentrückung failed again to penetrate Mountain King's armor, DoomedGuy intervened with another well-placed missile: Mountain King was a sitting duck thanks to Blossom's sabotage, and in another stroke of luck, it struck an inadequately armored muscle tracer bundle controlling Mountain King's arms, rendering the AC's dual shotguns useless.

Grieg: "Son of a-RRGH"
    The pilot vented his frustration by spamming rockets again, spitting them between Buddy and Blossom. A few hit, but none penetrated armor this time - and then the pilot's trigger clicked. Out of rockets, and primary weapons disabled. Grieg was hit by a moment of realization, and Mountain King fired up its boosters, trying to retreat.

Blossom turned her focus from the neutered threat of Mountain King and cored the undamaged tank with her Sniper Cannon, destroying the turret and rendering it unable to attack. Quickly realizing that he had the opportunity to end the fight, Buddy fired another missile at the tank damaged by Lightning. In another miraculous stroke of luck, the missile penetrated the tank's armor and finished it off with an impressive explosion.

(OOC Note: Seriously, Buddy's dice were really hot. When I talk about penetrating armor, Chromestrike has an armor save mechanic, where attacks can be ignored if you roll high enough on a d6. Some weapons have an AP value, which gives a penalty on this roll, and some armors are better than others. Tanks have armor 2+, which means they have to roll a 1 on their armor save to take damage from an AP0 weapon. Buddy's light missiles were AP0, but he was just lucky enough for the Tanks to repeatedly roll 1s on their defense.)

Mountain King, disarmed and being a very slow AC, did not survive being hammered by everything on the field for another round. Spinal Tap hailed the PCs on an open comm channel to congratulate them on mission completion.

Drumbeat: "Good Job, but...oh, crap, scans say they planted bombs in the surface access. Blossom, you're a tech specialist, right? I need help disarming that before -"

That was when Blossom hacked his comms to shut them down. The PCs rolled initiative again, and ganged up on Spinal Tap until he died. He didn't even do any damage to them, and he had already taken a few hits from Mountain King and the tanks.

Operator: "You've got a squad of CT reinforcements incoming."

((OOC Note: Can't let them get too comfy, right?))

They held their ground, and a new team of CT enemies came in. One of them tried to bluff, but whiffed the check, and the squad of GPACs attacked - A Knight, two Bishops, and a Rook.

((Setting Note: CT's private military is an "elite" army in comparison to NRB's; they don't field things like battlesuits, instead manufacturing GPACs, or General Purpose ACs. Essentially, they build budget mechs as their rank-and-file units. See what I did there? Chess puns, I really do have no shame. Knights are so-called because they have Jump Packs, Bishops are fast-moving units with Heavy MGs, and Rooks are better-armored variants of the Bishop that have Rocket Launchers instead.))

For the sake of not dragging out another encounter with a play-by-play, the PCs made very short work of them, not a scratch on them. Which is a good thing, since Bergentrücking's Chassis was down to 1 hp. The area cleared of hostiles, K.K. Sonnen brought in the Transport Helicopter, and the players detonated the charges on the way out. And since they put some of the explosives in the ammo stores for those AA cannons...

...Well, they got a fireworks show on the way out.

I decided to separate the mission itself and the post-mission gameplay for the sake of having something to post tonight. Not much of a campaign journal without content, you know?
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2016-12-04 at 04:31 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Interlude 1:

Spoiler
    Show
    After figuring out how much money KROSSCorp owed them and arranging for repairs, the players left the Freeport hangar only to find someone waiting for them, a smiling, athletic-looking green-haired woman in a jumpsuit, leaning against a wall.

???: "Am I the first to say congrats? Probably not, unless you got one of the cold operators. But congrats anyway. Not many pilots take down a ranker on their first go, much less two. And since one of 'em was Grieg, I think I owe you all a round of drinks. You guys up for a drive?"

Trigger: "Sorry, but who are you?"

Rebecca: "Oh, ha! Fair enough, name's Rebecca. But really, if we hurry we might get there before they stop serving dinner, and I'm starving. You guys coming?"

(OOC Note: A couple of players were a bit suspicious and reluctant, until one of them realized that they didn't really know what to do with their newfound freedom and I was putting a blatant interaction hook in front of them. I could have rolled with it had they ignored the hook and had some material prepped, but this does make life easier for me.)

After they hesitantly accept, Rebecca guides them through the maze of hallways to reach a lonely, strangely empty parking structure, containing a few miscellaneous vehicles and the energetic woman's garishly-colored jalopy. She asks them to tell her all about the mission on the way, and they do.

The streets of Val City are a place not totally unlike New York at night: Choked with people and cars, lit by flashing neon advertisements covering every inch of some buildings. The sky can't be seen, but not because of smog: There are many tons of earth in the way, because Val City is underground. Indeed, some of the 'skyscrapers' are literally buried in the artificial cavern's roof. There are other such cities, of course: Sung City, Tir, Kri, Skye, New Rhodes, and others exist, but none are quite so bustling or diverse as Val City is. Val is also unique for its independence; most cities are beholden to or even controlled in all but name by one of the Megacorps, but Val City had somehow avoided this fate. That's probably why Freeport was built here: To ensure a degree of protection for Concord's official policy of neutrality.

The car came to a stop in front of a hole-in-the-wall dive bar simply called "The Rogue's Gallery", a little corner vista blaring jazzy pop music from one of Val City's many radio stations. Trigger immediately began complaining as the motley band walked in.

Trigger: (Grumbling) "I hate this stuff. Give me some rock any day."

Rebecca: "Oh, give it a chance, Herman. This place serves real alcohol. Real. The kind that you can get blitzed on, not like that synthetic stuff they serve at Beibevbar counters."

Trigger: "Well, I'll drink to that."

Blossom: (Defensively) "Do you have an issue with Beibevbar counters?"

Rebecca: (Obliviously) "Nah, it's enough some days, but they formulate the stuff so it starts breaking down before you can get anything more than a little buzz going. Hey, Bartender! Five drinks for us, and a plate of chitin kabobs for me!"

Blossom: (A little surprised, unused to not having her opinion asked for) "I'd rather have iced tea."

Rebecca: (Rolls eyes) "Oh, fine. Four house brews for us, an iced tea for the lady, and those kabobs for me." (waves at pcs) "You guys sit wherever you want, it's all on my tab."

The party picked out a table (with an open seat for Rebecca) and took a moment to look around the bar. It wasn't too packed tonight, all the better to get a good look. The Rogue's Gallery was nicer on the inside than its exterior appearance indicated, with a clean, polished wooden floor, surprisingly decent lighting, and red wallpaper covered in geometric patterns...and portraits. Lots of portraits, young and old. Seems the 'gallery' part was literal to some degree. Though there were quite a few patrons even on a slow night, only three really stood out: A man in a pin-striped suit with a synthop pipe reading the newspaper over at one of the far tables, and a pair apparently drowning their sorrows at the counter.

Thunder and Blossom were able to recognize the man in the suit immediately: Cyrus Ahu, a ranking pilot and Tiberius Bei Fong's left-hand man, one of the most notorious and feared men in the Night Market. The guy who breaks kneecaps when Papa Bei Fong is displeased. And worse, he was sneaking glances at Blossom. Dad would be hearing about this little venture. Both pilots sat down facing away from Mr. Ahu, pretending they didn't know he was there. It was probably for the best.

Spoiler: Image
    Show

(Cyrus Ahu, courtesy of ashtrails)

The other pair consisted of a man and woman sitting side-by-side at the bar, along with at least a dozen apparently-emptied bottles. The girl was far more striking in appearance: Albino, with very long hair wrapped in twintails and wearing a suit jacket and skirt. The fellow, on the other hand, had short, dark hair and was wearing what looked to be a military dress uniform. Trigger couldn't place the woman, but he recognized the man: Alexander "Prince" Sing, one of Concord's best pilots, #12 in the ranks, in fact. Still, who was the girl, and why were they drinking so much?

Rebecca: "This table'll do. Heads-up, Trigger, you shouldn't stare. That's Grieg's sister, though I dunno how she knows Prince. Did I mention Grieg had a sister? You should probably watch your back, she's a crack shot."

Trigger grimaced, and reluctantly looked away, just in time to spot a waitress dropping off a newspaper at the table. Blossom picked it up, eager for a distraction.

Blossom: "The Val City Herald?"

Rebecca: "Yeah, the Rogue's Gallery has a deal with them. Complimentary newspapers at every table, a little before normal release. You guys made the front page for tomorrow's issue."

Sure enough, 'Green pilots obliterate two ranked ACs in wasteland skirmish' was the front page headline. How had the Herald gotten those pictures? The only one with access was...Sonnen. It must have been Sonnen. Other headlines in the paper include 'Hospital in New Rhodes firebombed by Kri City Liberation Front in latest gruesome attack', 'Cyrus crushes two rising stars in most impressive arena match of the year', and 'Kind Red Industries purchases Isley Pharmaceutical; CEO Emil Scarlet promises new herbal remedies will be added to catalogue by next year'.

Trigger: "Rebecca, how do you know all this, anyway? Who even are you, really? You must be a pilot."

Rebecca: "What, don't recognize me? Fastest woman alive? I thought I'd earned a little more credit than that. Does the name Dashing ring a bell?"

Trigger: "Wait, you're Dashing?! I thought Dashing was a guy!"

(OOC Note: I think Trigger's player intended to say this out of character, but it was funnier to roll with it. Dashing is also a pretty highly-ranked pilot, at #16. Her mech is completely optimized for raw speed, capable of moving at speeds exceeding 300 km/h for short bursts. Presumably Dashing has some way to avoid blacking out under that kind of acceleration.)

Rebecca/Dashing: (Slams back the rest of her mug, belches loudly and leans back in her chair) "Yeah, I get that a lot. Hey, have I ever told you about that one time I took down a supersonic plane in flight with a sword?"

Everyone laughed as Dashing told the story again and had a few more drinks before heading back to Freeport in Dashing's Jalopy.
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2016-12-06 at 02:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Oh, and for the record, I'd appreciate writing tips of any kind! This goes double if I descend into impenetrable jargon. I try to include explanations for things when I can, and most of the setting information is in the Google doc linked in the OP, but you shouldn't need to read the manual to follow what's going on.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Griffon

This is a fun read. I'm glad I found it before it got too big and scared me away! I hope you continue, though Buddy not being a regular will be sad.

Also - animal-themed quad mechs are best with rockets mounted on the haunches.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Ooh, sounds like will be a fun read!

I hope there's a few Zoids vs Battletech arguments discussions happening at your table.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Interlude, Blossom Solo (1)

Spoiler
    Show

(Musical Suggestion)

After returning to Freeport with Dashing, the party wandered back in from the parking garage, looking for the rooms they'd been assigned to. One advantage of being a registered Concord Pilot: Rent Control.

Blossom: "...You guys go on ahead. Rebecca, where is the nearest women's restroom?"

Rebecca nodded and gave some quick directions. Blossom thanked her and ran off...before quietly returning once the coast was clear; she was free to operate now that Mr. Wynter wasn't lurking in her shadow. She stalked the halls quietly, searching for any sign of her quarry, but found herself interrupted: A whirring, repeating mechanical noise accompanied a growing shadow cast upon the hallway from around the corner, and when it turned the corner, she saw something she'd never seen before.

A man, perhaps, but it wasn't the first word that came to mind. A skeletal figure in shimmering chrome, with narrow organic eyes the only sign of a human face and organs in plastic the only other indicator of humanity. A cyborg among cyborgs, more machine than man. His gaze fell upon Blossom for only a brief moment, before he scoffed and continued walking.

Blossom: "What, never seen a woman before?"

The figure stopped dead in its tracks and turned its head around, far farther than any human should, and spoke in a growling, mechanical tone.

???: "You are not worthy of my attention."

(OOC Note: Okay, I'm lying. The real description I gave at the table was "he looks like General Grievous", and I did an awful impression of the guy's voice. I make no promises that this campaign journal is a completely accurate transcription of my table.)

As the strange cyborg moved on, Blossom watched for a moment, only to flatten herself against the wall in surprise after a pair of technicians in hazmat suits rushed by, shouting for the thing to come back. Not daring to pursue, Blossom moved on, continuing her search. Finally, she came to a door in the residential sector, labelled "Bellatrix Bei Fong." She knocked twice. After a long moment, the door cracked open, revealing a single brown eye.

Bellatrix: (Surprised, but measured tone) "...Asami, what are you doing here?"
    Blossom: (gesturing with both hands to quiet down) "Bella! Let me in and I'll explain."
    Bellatrix: *Pauses* "Alright."

The door widened enough for Blossom to walk through, and she probably would have if Bellatrix hadn't practically grabbed her. The inside of Bella's private room was...pretty much exactly what one would expect, if one knew Bella. Bookshelves lined the walls, disorganized but nevertheless well-read, and the carpet smelled curiously of a mixture between musty book-smell and sweat. In the far corner, there was a well-used chair flanked by an electric lamp and a lightly-used writing desk. Bellatrix herself was a very tall, muscular woman and a natural blonde, though she preferred to tie her hair back rather than doing anything special with it, and her build was well-hidden by her loose, almost pajama-like clothing. It was late enough that maybe she would have been getting ready for bed, but Blossom knew better: She'd almost certainly interrupted Bella's reading; indeed, there was an open tome right there on the desk. Bella was an enigmatic creature: Introverted, awkward, even meek off of the battlefield, but Blossom had seen videos of her arena matches: It didn't show at all when she was piloting. Indeed, Bella's success was half the reason she'd...

Bellatrix: "Asami! What are you doing here, you know Concord does not allow random...wait."

Blossom: "I did. I'm a registered pilot. Oh, and, uh, you should call me Blossom here, I'm not using my real name."

Bellatrix: (burying face in hands) "Alright, what is done is done. What are you doing here? In my room."

Blossom: "I can't visit my sister?"

Bellatrix: (Browsing her own shelves absentmindedly) "Nobody visits me for small talk, Asami. You know that. Even Corvos has been distant of late."

Blossom: (Frowning) "Okay, you're right. I needed to get away from the others for a bit. One of them is watching me, and I'm uncomfortable with it. I think he's working for Dad."

Bellatrix: (Stops cold) "...I understand. I still look over my shoulder and see Cyrus lurking every now and again. My room is open to you if you require a haven."

Blossom: "Thank you, Bella. There was one other thing I wanted to ask about: I was reading the Val City Herald, and one of the headlines caught my eye: Kind Red Industries bought out Isley Pharmaceutical. I just don't know why, but something about it feels fishy."

Bellatrix: "I am sorry, but I do not know about that subject. Intrigue has never been my field."

Blossom: "That's okay, Bella, you've been helpful. I was just hoping maybe you had an ear to the ground."

Bellatrix: (Smiling) "I am afraid not, but perhaps you should ask Lykon. Keeping an ear to the ground is his job, after all."

Blossom: "Lykon's here?"

Bellatrix: "Did you not know? Lykon is the company's official representative in Freeport."

Blossom: "...I see. Thank you, Bella."

Bellatrix: (Already sitting down to resume reading) "Happy to be of service."

Blossom thanked Bellatrix for her time, and left her to her book; she had someone else she needed to see. After looking both ways to ensure the hall was clear, she wandered from her sister's room, seeking the Office of Lykon Bei Fong. It didn't take long; his name was prominently displayed by the door, and the secretary let her in immediately. Lykon's office was sparsely but tastefully decorated with striped wallpaper and a ceiling viewscreen set to emulate the night sky with a full moon. In a corner of the room, a truly enormous wolf was curled upon a padded bed.

Lykon Bei Fong himself cut a striking figure, tall and broad-shouldered, handsome despite his scars - and there were many scars. It had been a long time since Asami had seen him last, but Lykon was terribly burned years before: Both arms were charred and blackened from fingertip to elbow (though tight bandages concealed these injuries from open air), and other marks crisscross his body, including a terrible, disfiguring one across his left eye. He looked up at her approach, good eye widening and a genuine smile crossing his face.

Lykon: "Asami! Welcome to Freeport. Can I get you something?"

Blossom: (Guarded) "No thank you, Lykon." (Looks over at wolf) "Pardon me for asking, but aren't those supposed to be extinct?"

Lykon: (Smiling mischievously) "You know perfectly well that the usual rules don't always apply when a Bei Fong wants something, sister. You can pet Faola. She won't bite."

Blossom: (Nervously stroking the wolf's fur, to its delight) "I wish I were just coming to say hello, but I'm afraid there's something I was hoping to ask. I don't suppose we could speak privately?"

Lykon: "Of course."

The door closed at the press of a button, and the tiny sounds of static crackling filled the room: A noise generator. It seems Lykon was concerned about the possibility of his office being bugged, or else was simply taking precautions.

Blossom: "Thank you. I actually wished to ask after a headline that caught my eye: According to the Val City Herald, Kind Red Industries purchased Isley Pharmaceutical yesterday. Do you know anything about that?"

Lykon: "Are you thinking of getting into politics, Asami?" He gestured whimsically and smiled to indicate that he was joking, but his face fell flat soon enough. "I can only tell you rumors, I'm afraid. Corvos has met with Emil Scarlet recently, but he's been keeping matters hushed, even from my ears. I don't know exactly what Kind Red wants with Isley, but something unusual is happening. I can't tell you much, but I believe that Scarlet intends to escape Drake's yoke and turn Kind Red into a seventh Prime Corporation. This is, to be sure, mere rumor. You would do well not to repeat it where there might be prying ears. And I certainly said no such thing."

Blossom: (Smiles innocently) "I'm sorry, brother, what was that? I don't think I caught a word." She stood from the seat she'd taken even as Lykon only smirked in response. "Good night, Lykon. And good night, Faola."

The door opened, and Blossom left the office with a wave to her long-unseen family member. She had a lot to think about. But she had time.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkstar View Post
    This is a fun read. I'm glad I found it before it got too big and scared me away! I hope you continue, though Buddy not being a regular will be sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Ooh, sounds like will be a fun read!

I hope there's a few Zoids vs Battletech arguments discussions happening at your table.

Aw, thanks. You shouldn't say these sorts of things, they'll go right to my head.

Trufax: One of the contributing factors to running this was Trigger's player asking if he can play a Zoid after his PF character died hilariously. But that's a story for another time.

The next session is supposed to be on the 13th. This time, hopefully, I'll write it while it's still fresh in my memory and it'll flow more easily.

EDIT: I actually forgot, I have art of Cyrus Ahu, courtesy of ashtrails. It's been added to the relevant journal log, but here it is again.
    Spoiler
    Show

EDIT EDIT: I forgot to mention that we have a fourth member who couldn't make it to the first session who isn't Buddy, so the gap in the party will be filled. I'll introduce that character when they appear though.
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2016-12-06 at 02:21 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Trigger's player here.

I registered an account just to confirm that Yes, Bergentruckung now has Rockets mounted on the Haunches. And they will probably be awesome. Probably. As long as they don't get shot and explode while attached to the chassis.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Post Re: Hot Mech-on-Mech Action: A Campaign Journal

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerGunther View Post
    Trigger's player here.

I registered an account just to confirm that Yes, Bergentruckung now has Rockets mounted on the Haunches. And they will probably be awesome. Probably. As long as they don't get shot and explode while attached to the chassis.
    Welcome to the playground, Trigger! I hope you take full advantage of our little community while you're here!
    Including more funny DnD stories than you can shake a ten-foot pole at.
    Also, I just wanted to say that it brings me no end of joy to see a mech-based campaign journal.
    We've been waiting for one for some time now.
    I look forward to the next update!
    If there is one. I've seen too many journals peter out, so I hope this one is lasting.
    Thank you for reading this, and I hope you have a better day!
    By Shoreward.

Spoiler: My RPG title, somehow.
    Show

{]GNU Terry Pratchett.[}

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daemon

Thumbs up Re: Hot Mech-on-Mech Action: A Campaign Journal

Hi guys. I'm posting to subscribe and also put this here: The Armored Core Campaign Journal! which is an older Armored Core campaign journal which I loved. Keep up the good games! I love Mech on Mech action, especially when it's Armored Core themed!
    Last edited by D-naras; 2016-12-09 at 05:07 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Well, those interested may be happy to know that we ended up playing a session yesterday on the 8th. I'm currently in the process of writing up the mission portion and plan to have it complete by tonight.

I'll have to check out that Armored Core journal when I get a chance, too! Looks like a fun time.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Hey there! This is a promising campaign journal! I will definitely be keeping my eye on this.

I must admit that seeing a good mech story always makes me want to create a few of my own.
    So I did.
    But since I realize you probably have all the ideas you need, and probably don't want random passers-by throwing all their brains at you, I won't post them unless you ask me to.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Mountain King, disarmed and being a very slow AC, did not survive being hammered by everything on the field for another round. Spinal Tap hailed the PCs on an open comm channel to congratulate them on mission completion.
    Also, Blade totally forgot to mention me climbing out of my mech to Kill Greig on Foot with an Anti-Materiel Rifle rather than letting him die in the ensuing explosion. Needed to make SURE he was dead, after all.

Kinda like how I forgot to send him the finalized Bio explaining that Trigger's father died when Greig blew up a factory. GM Frowny Faces abound.

Anyways, if Anyone is interested, I've got a drawing I've done of Bergentruckung that I can post once I'm on the computer that I have it saved on.

Oh yeah, and thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Probably should have said that first.
    Last edited by TriggerGunther; 2016-12-09 at 08:47 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mission 2: Avici Facility, 13:00
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: Email from Dashing
    Show

Sender: [email protected]
    Subject: Drinks
    Text: Dashing here. Glad you guys came along for a couple of drinks last week, even if you weren't feeling too great by the end of it. Sorry about that if it was something I said.

I hate to do this so soon, but I have a favor to ask. I've got this friend taking a DIS contract this month, and...I've got a bad feeling about this one. It looks sketchy, and I really don't want this friend getting hurt. I'd go myself, but Bolt isn't made for tight spaces and without room to maneuver I'm dead to rights. I understand if you're busy and can't afford to drop everything for someone you just met, but I can spare four credits on top of what DIS is offering if you can watch Butterfly's back for me.

Sorry again,
    Rebecca

Spoiler: Briefing
    Show

The Drone Wars: 20cr
    Employer: Drake Imperial Sciences
    Theatre of Operations: Sung City AUS Factory
    Enemy Forces: Unmanned Drone MTs
    Conditions for Success: Eliminate all rogue drones. Avoid damaging factory floor machinery.
    Briefing:
    Greetings. I am Doctor Biyal Xilung, representing Drake Imperial Sciences. A DIS subsidiary factory located near Sung City has been sabotaged by unknown agents, likely Spiral Tech, and the local Drone Control network has been...compromised. These drones now attack outside personnel on sight, but whatever virus they used damaged the software and reduced the drones' efficiency significantly. It's really a shoddy design, but that kind of sloppy work is expected of our competitors.

Regardless, we would like to recover the facility with minimal damage to our equipment. Refrain from using explosives, incendiary weapons, and anything else likely to produce collateral damage; costs to repair damaged equipment will be deducted from your pay.

(Musical Suggestion)

The Avici Facility was a dismal place on the outskirts of Sung City, isolated from the sun by hundreds of tons of earth and metal. It was in theory a factory run by Avernus Unmanned Systems, a subsidiary company of Drake Imperial Sciences, but at the moment it looked like more of a warzone than anything else: Even the front doors to the factory were visibly damaged and would need to be forced open.

Operator: "This is K.K. Sonnen. You've been deployed at the south end of the facility, with Squad 2 at the north end. You'll be moving through Factory Floors A1, B1, A2, and finally C1, where you'll be rendezvousing with the second squad to confirm all targets cleared. Hostiles are rogue AUS drone units, which are known to behave erratically when separated from their control programming. I will be providing updates throughout this operation. Good luck, and be careful."

Trigger and Blossom eyed the third pilot they'd been teamed with.

Trigger: "Okay, but who's this guy?"

Operator: "I took the liberty of having a pilot who has experience with AUS drones partnered with you. Hellfire has performed well in previous operations and I have no doubt his assistance will prove beneficial here."

Blossom: "...Alright then, welcome to the team."

Hellfire: "That was fast."

Blossom: "Well, that's pretty much the same way we ended up on a team in the first place."

(OOC note: I got burned. In my defense, it's still better than starting in a tavern.)

Spoiler: Squad 2 radio chatter
    Show

Loner: "...How the hell do you outrank me anyway, you spineless..."
    Butterfly: "..."
    Lunatic Eye: "Shut up, Loner. She survived the Skyefall incident, she has more experience with drones than you have with women."
    Red Don: "Ooh, burn."
    Loner: "Why, you..."
    Lunatic Eye: "Focus on the mission, we can trade barbs later."
    Loner: "...Rrgh!"
    Butterfly: "..."
    Red Don: "Damn, this place is a mess. Must've been some party."

Operator: "Open the doors whenever you're ready."

The loading depot was a mess: Forklifts were tipped over and often on fire, there were scorch marks everywhere, and yet no signs of life. The operators must have fled the facility and sealed the doors on the way out, and the room was flooded with emergency lighting; the main generator must have been damaged. The entryway to factory floor A1 loomed ahead...and the trio took a deep breath before pressing onward.

(Musical Suggestion)

As soon as they stepped in, the sounds of horrid mechanical screeching filled their comms. The first factory floor was a huge room, taller even than it was wide, with catwalks crisscrossing upward until they seemed to fade in the distance. That was when they saw the drones: Horrid things, spindly and insect-like in their construction, armed with gruesome weapons. Three hung upside-down from the catwalks brandishing glistening blades, and two more lurked further back in the piles of factory machinery with rifles. Still screeching like monsters, the Nupperibos flung themselves at the players on wings of thrust even as the Lemures opened fire!

(Setting Note: All of the AUS-series drones follow the same basic model, a three-ton mess of lightweight alloys and minimum build specifications, though their armament varies significantly. Of these, the AUS-α "Lemure" and the AUS-β "Nupperibo" are the most common models, equipped with a ballistic rifle and a pair of composite steel blades, respectively. All are lightly-armored and relatively easy to dispatch, but they're extremely cheap to produce and always come in numbers.)

Trigger and Blossom sprung into action, picking targets and firing. Blossom's shot neatly cored one of the Lemures before it even got a second shot in, but Trigger's burstfire scored only a glancing hit on the second gunner. Hellfire was a little too slow on the draw and barely had his shotguns forward before the Nupperibos closed faster than any of them thought possible; all three pilots were suddenly thrust into melee! Steel Hibiscus managed to avoid the worst of the slashes, but both Bergentrückung and Brimstone were scored along the chassis by pristine Coldiron(tm) metalwork. Hellfire managed to turn the tide quickly though, darting around the Nupperibos' backs and expertly blasting two of them apart with perfectly-aimed shotgun blasts.

Hellfire: "Choke on that!"

(OOC Note: Hellfire's Sneak Attack perk is probably overpowered now that I've seen it in play, but at least it's the fun kind of OP since it relies on PC team tactics and only really shines in situations exactly like this, with weak enemies fighting in close-quarters.)

With three drones messily deactivated, Trigger mauled the one that had dared to stab his AC with Bergentrückung's fangs and followed it up with a burst of gunfire to finish it off. Blossom, for her part, casually turned her weapon on the final Lemure and destroyed it with a single clean shot from her Sniper Cannon.

Show

Red Don: "They're coming out of the goddamn walls, man!"
    Lunatic Eye: "Get a hold of yourself, or so help me I'll..."
    Red Don: "Game over, man, I'm outta here!"
    Loner: "Goddamn it, you coward!"
    Butterfly: "...Um, I don't mean to be a bother, but there are more drones incoming."
    Lunatic Eye: "Dammit!"

Operator: "Floor A1 clear. There should be a hallway to your next destination. You should be aware that AC Wolverine appears to have fled the field."

Trigger: "Oh jeez, this is gonna be one of those things where the other team gets whittled down one by one isn't it?"

Blossom: "Didn't Dashing want us to make sure Butterfly gets out okay?"

Hellfire: "I dunno about you guys, but we should definitely hurry up."

In the next hallway, Hellfire caught the light out of the corner of his eye and narrowly brought Brimstone to a hard stop before the explosion smashed him flat against the wall: One of the side doors had been blown right out of the wall, with another group of drones lying in wait! Still, with only two Nupperibos and a Kyton, Squad 1 made short work of them before moving on.

(OOC Note: The PCs won initiative and cleared the encounter before the drones even got a turn. They also made the perception check to spot the trap before blundering right into it.)

(Setting Note: The AUS-γ "Kyton" is another drone model, equipped with a Sans-Ferguson Single Line Winch and a nearly unbreakable grappling cable. It has little combat ability on its own, as the grappling hook is not an effective offensive weapon, but its ability to pull an AC prone and drag them about is disabling and potentially deadly when coupled with other drones or environmental hazards. The Kyton drone also has the ability to discharge dangerous amounts of electrical current from its "hands", but limitations make it effective only against immobilized targets at melee range.)

Upon reaching Floor B1, the squad was treated to a bizarre and horrific sight: A group of drones, 5 Lemures and 2 Kytons, clustering around a fallen drone and painting themselves with its fluids, even while one of the Kytons led them in a mechanical, screeching chant that could almost be mistaken for a prayer. They watched for several seconds, enraptured with horror, before any dared speak.

Trigger: "...What the hell?!"

Hellfire: "They haven't noticed us yet...so let's line up our shots."

(OOC Note: "Hey [Blade's real name], they count as unaware, so Sneak Attack applies, right?")

The opening salvo was as destructive as planned: Hellfire's shotguns took out both Kytons before they knew what hit them, and Blossom's Sniper Cannon took out one of the Lemures as well. The other four scrambled to organize, but still lost initiative, and Blossom took out another one. The three remaining Lemures managed to put a few more holes in Bergentrückung, but another volley of combined fire obliterated them.

Show

*Sounds of gunfire*
    Lunatic Eye: "Squad 1, this is Lunatic Eye. I think we've found the biggest mass of them, and are currently engaged in a fighting retreat. At least two dozen, you'd better be there when we rendezvous at C1."
    Loner: "Son of a - I'm cut off! Help!"
    Lunatic Eye: "Goddamn it! Hold on, Loner, there are too many in the way!"
    *static*

Operator: "They're deep in the facility and breaking up. I am sorry, I will re-establish communications as soon as I can. You should continue to floor A2."

They did. Five more drones inhabited A2: Three Kytons, and two Abishai.

(Setting Note: The AUS-Δ "Abishai" is a drone model usually deployed against infantry squads and in certain environments rather than against mechs. It's identical in design to the Lemure, except that the Rifle is traded out for a Flamethrower.)

They were ready for more drones this time, and quickly disabled both Abishai before they got a chance to bring their weapons to bear. Blossom's EWS really shined in this fight: Hellfire hit twice where he would have missed if Blossom's hacking hadn't lowered the enemy's dodge rating. The Kytons reacted by trying to snag Bergentrückung, Steel Hibiscus, and Brimstone with their grappling hooks: Blossom and Hellfire managed to slip away from the cable's grasp, but Trigger wasn't so lucky and found his AC's legs pulled out from under it; despite Bergentrückung's efforts to wriggle free, Trigger found himself being dragged closer and closer to the Kyton.

While Blossom and Hellfire returned fire and successfully destroyed the drones that attacked them, Trigger couldn't get a clean shot from the ground and soon found himself tied and pinned next to the drone. Its skeletal fingers crackling with arcing current, it proceeded to grab Bergentrückung's chassis and start frying it.

Trigger: "Ugh, I don't like these tummy rubs..."

Blossom tried to save Trigger, but her shot went wide and punctured a conveyor belt instead. Hellfire had a little more luck, swooping in with his jump pack to blast the remaining Kyton with his twin shotguns from behind. Ripped apart by the world's largest buckshot, the drone's cable went slack and a groaning Trigger brought Bergentrückung back up onto its feet.

Trigger: "That sucked. Dunno how much more of this we can take."

Blossom: "Speak for yourself, there's barely a scratch on me."

Show

*Mechanical Screeching*
    Loner: "No, no, oh god, no! They've got me, I can't move! Systems are shutting down, I've lost cameras, but I'm moving down, oh god they're taking me down the elevator shaft! Help, anyone, ple-*Static*"
    Lunatic Eye: "****, ****, ****, we've lost Loner, his comms are dead. Squad 1, if you're still alive, we're approaching C1, followed by the swarm. If you're not there, I will haunt you."

(Musical Suggestion)

Factory Floor C1 was almost twice as large as the others and had four exits, one of which the players entered through. Butterfly and Lunatic were already there, back-to-back, pointing their weapons at different exits.

Lunatic Eye: "Finally, I was beginning to wonder if you all died on the way. I'd say I'm happy to see you, but I'd be lying."

Trigger: "Trust me, the feeling is mutual."

Butterfly: "Um, pardon me, but here they come."

The first wave was nothing to worry about. Two Lemures and two Nupperibos might have been scary if they hadn't already been through much worse fights, and if they hadn't had Butterfly's EM Rifles and Lunatic Eye's high-end automatic rifle backing them up. The drones were cut down by combined fire almost as soon as they burst through the door.

Blossom: "Was that it? You needed our help with-"

Lunatic Eye: "Distraction, they're busy surrou-"

The second wave burst through one of the other doors almost immediately, a more potent force containing two Kytons and three Abishai. Though the players and their erstwhile allies attempted to stop them before a third wave could show up, it was not to be; thanks to poor dice, most of the second wave was still active when the third wave, consisting of two more Kytons and three Lemures, burst from the final doorway. The fight got messy and dangerous in a hurry; even Steel Hibiscus took a wound.

Though they'd cleared the second wave and killed some of the third wave by the next round, they were blindsided when the fourth wave came from the first door: Four Nupperibos and a pair of Malebranches.

(Setting Note: The AUS-ε "Malebranche" is a sort of 'elite' drone, relatively expensive and armed with a rapid-fire Grenade Launcher. It's better-armored than the other drones and has twice as much health on all of its hardpoints. The Malebranche is DIS' answer to the CT Rook, an unmanned unit capable of hitting hard and fast, and one that can take a few hits.

While Trigger worked on mopping up the last of wave 3, Lunatic Eye and Butterfly tried to shoot down the incoming Nupperibos. LE managed to take one down herself, but both of Butterfly's shots were absorbed by its armor. Hellfire ran into the fray once more, taking a couple of potshots against one of the Malebranches: One was absorbed by the machine's armor, but the other blew a hole through its frame. Blossom diverted power from her legs to focus on hacking the damaged Malebranche's systems, and found more success than usual: Beyond merely disrupting it, she briefly gained total control, and ordered the drone to fire upon its allies, to terrible effect. The spray of high-explosive pellets caused terrible damage to the second Malebranche's body, and Blossom's own shot finished it off.

Unfortunately, the three remaining Nupperibos charged Brimstone, and their combined melee attacks, despite his best efforts, completely devastated the AC's legs. Brimstone dropped prone, and Hellfire might have died there if Trigger, Lunatic Eye, and Butterfly hadn't intervened to destroy the drones flanking him with a well-aimed spray of bullets.

When the last of the drones went down, everyone was still standing. Metaphorically-speaking, anyway, since Brimstone's legs were thoroughly shredded and Bergentrückung's chassis was so battered that it would probably need to be harvested for parts and replaced completely. Again. But nobody was dead, is the point.

Lunatic Eye: (Breathing heavily) "Was that the last of them?"

The emergency lighting went out, and normal lighting snapped on just as quickly - before a voice spoke over the facility's intercom.

Dr. Xilung: "Greetings, this is Doctor Biyal Xilung. I am pleased to announce that the DIS Technicians we sent in while you were distracting the drones have successfully completed their task and reestablished control of the facility. Your mission is complete, and you should leave the premises as soon as possible before security is reactivated. We have much to do here."

Blossom: "What about Loner? The drones kind of dragged him into the depths of the facility screaming?"

Dr. Xilung: "I assure you, we'll find him. Now, please leave the premises. We shall take account of the damages and send you your pay soon enough, I promise you."

Trigger: (over private comms) "There was never any virus, was there? This was a combat test."

Hellfire: (over private comms) "...I sure hope not."

Blossom: (over private comms) "...We're not seeing Loner again, are we?"

With no other option, they left the Avici Facility and waited for K.K. Sonnen's transport helicopter to pick them up. There was a lot to think about.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Griffon

Also, Blade totally forgot to mention me climbing out of my mech to Kill Greig on Foot with an Anti-Materiel Rifle rather than letting him die in the ensuing explosion. Needed to make SURE he was dead, after all.

Kinda like how I forgot to send him the finalized Bio explaining that Trigger's father died when Greig blew up a factory. GM Frowny Faces abound.

Anyways, if Anyone is interested, I've got a drawing I've done of Bergentruckung that I can post once I'm on the computer that I have it saved on.

Oh yeah, and thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Probably should have said that first.
    I am very interested in seeing this. If I could ever bring myself to draw again, I'd probably try drawing a picture of it myself. I kinda wish I'd gotten into Zoids (I loved the design of the mechs), but when I was exposed to it, it was during a time I was a close-minded xenophobic idiot and all the imported robot anime had that stupid focus on weird honor duels and tournaments, which I found to be a stupid, interest-killing premise.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by RagingBluMunky View Post
    I must admit that seeing a good mech story always makes me want to create a few of my own.
    So I did.
    But since I realize you probably have all the ideas you need, and probably don't want random passers-by throwing all their brains at you, I won't post them unless you ask me to.
    Never let it be said that I'm not open to ideas. (Though I have a lot of things already plotted, as you imply...and one of my players is definitely reading the thread.)

Oh shoot, I DID forget to write about that part. That's...actually kind of a big deal. Important character moment, and all that...plus it puts responsibility for the guy's death squarely on Trigger.

EDIT: Interlude 2 coming when I feel less tired.
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2016-12-09 at 11:15 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Griffon

... where's Hellfire's introduction?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

I am very interested in seeing this. If I could ever bring myself to draw again, I'd probably try drawing a picture of it myself. I kinda wish I'd gotten into Zoids (I loved the design of the mechs), but when I was exposed to it, it was during a time I was a close-minded xenophobic idiot and all the imported robot anime had that stupid focus on weird honor duels and tournaments, which I found to be a stupid, interest-killing premise.
    Here you Go!

Spoiler: Picture
    Show

ANNNND Apparently I can't post links or images until I've made ten posts. And This is only post #3... Hmmm...

I'll ask Blade if he can post it and send it to him over Skype.

Or go back and add it here when I can

Went back and added the picture
    Last edited by TriggerGunther; 2016-12-21 at 10:59 PM. Reason: adding picture

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Griffon

Here you Go!

Spoiler: Picture
    Show
    [Removed]

ANNNND Apparently I can't post links or images until I've made ten posts. And This is only post #3... Hmmm...

Go get involved in a stupid argument on another thread or something to get the 10 posts you need.

... I was wondering where the massive link-spamming bots that used to plague these forums went. Nice to know about this policy change.
    Last edited by Hawkstar; 2016-12-09 at 11:52 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Go get involved in a stupid argument on another thread or something to get the 10 posts you need.

... I was wondering where the massive link-spamming bots that used to plague these forums went. Nice to know about this policy change.
    I'd Rather not get involved in a stupid argument....

Hmmm... I could Elaborate about more of the stuff in the thread. Anything you've got questions about? OOH, I could talk about that Hilarious death of my pathfinder character Blade mentioned earlier! That was fun.

*CUE PACIFIC RIM MUSIC*
    Last edited by TriggerGunther; 2016-12-10 at 12:57 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Never let it be said that I'm not open to ideas. (Though I have a lot of things already plotted, as you imply...and one of my players is definitely reading the thread.)
    Eheh...
    I realize that I worded that poorly. I meant designs/ideas for mechs. If you're still open to these new ideas...

Well, I'll put them in spoilers so you you can peruse or not at your leisure.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: AC: Will-o-Wisp
    Show
    An unconventional ultralight AC, Will-o-Wisp uses electronic warfare drones to lure targets to a chosen area, typically with heavy concealment for the mech itself. The drones then shut down the victims targeting and radar, allowing Will-o-Wisp to strike with impunity with its heavy flamethrowers and incendiary rockets.
    Spoiler: AC: Cataphract
    Show
    Cataphract is surprisingly fast for such a heavyweight AC. Large boosters attached to its back give it fantastic straight line speed, combined with a powerful energy blade, and the sheer mass of the mech itself, Cataphract has a powerful melee attack capable of toppling all but the sturdiest of opponents. This speed has come at the expense big maneuverability, it has trouble turning to face new opponents with any sort of speed. Cataphract fights by charging opponents in an attempt to knock them onto the ground, where it can finish them off with the powerful assault rifle it carries.

I hope those spark an interest, and that I haven't stepped on your toes too hard.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

This is certainly a cool read, so I hope you continue it.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

... where's Hellfire's introduction?
    Haha, whoops, I definitely didn't forget about that and then take a nap. Noperee.

(The player has yet to send me a proper bio, so a partial intro has been put in the OP until such time as he does.)

Or go back and add it here when I can
    Is this the one? You sent it to me on imgur at some point. Though you've clearly modified the mechanical details since then.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingBluMunky View Post
    Eheh...
    I realize that I worded that poorly. I meant designs/ideas for mechs. If you're still open to these new ideas...

Well, I'll put them in spoilers so you you can peruse or not at your leisure.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: AC: Will-o-Wisp
    Show
    An unconventional ultralight AC, Will-o-Wisp uses electronic warfare drones to lure targets to a chosen area, typically with heavy concealment for the mech itself. The drones then shut down the victims targeting and radar, allowing Will-o-Wisp to strike with impunity with its heavy flamethrowers and incendiary rockets.
    Spoiler: AC: Cataphract
    Show
    Cataphract is surprisingly fast for such a heavyweight AC. Large boosters attached to its back give it fantastic straight line speed, combined with a powerful energy blade, and the sheer mass of the mech itself, Cataphract has a powerful melee attack capable of toppling all but the sturdiest of opponents. This speed has come at the expense big maneuverability, it has trouble turning to face new opponents with any sort of speed. Cataphract fights by charging opponents in an attempt to knock them onto the ground, where it can finish them off with the powerful assault rifle it carries.

I hope those spark an interest, and that I haven't stepped on your toes too hard.
    These are cool!

Spoiler
    Show

The former definitely sounds like a SpiralTech pilot, the bastards - they even manufacture drones with EWS.

Cataphract looks like a potentially fun fight too, and could probably be modeled with some creative perks.

And for what it's worth, it's a time-honored Armored Core tradition to fill the lowest ranks with surprisingly-powerful pilots, so that they start appearing as the PCs inevitably work their way through the original top 50 list.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    This is certainly a cool read, so I hope you continue it.
    Well, that's convenient, because I intend to!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Nice Chain Devil reference in your Kyton mech.

... but when do they get to be Ravens?

I love mech games, never get to play enough.

When do they start seeing the transformable ones...?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

-snip-
    Is this the one? You sent it to me on imgur at some point. Though you've clearly modified the mechanical details since then.
    -snip-
    Yeah, that's the one, though I have an updated version with the L-RCL and camouflage. Will post that one when up to ten posts and not currently sick with stomach flu.

OH COME ON, I CAN'T EVEN QUOTE LINKS?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I'd planned to put up Interlude 2 tonight, but unfortunately I've hit a bit of writer's block halfway through so that's going to be delayed 'til tomorrow unless Inspiration strikes. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by D-naras View Post
    Hi guys. I'm posting to subscribe and also put this here: The Armored Core Campaign Journal! which is an older Armored Core campaign journal which I loved. Keep up the good games! I love Mech on Mech action, especially when it's Armored Core themed!
    Having now read the journal...glorious. Too bad it ended so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Herobizkit View Post
    Nice Chain Devil reference in your Kyton mech.
    All of the AUS drones are based on DnD devils, of course, but the Kytons ARE my favorites. They're nasty things, and I think there's something primally terrifying about the SFSL Winch, getting tied up and dragged toward your doom.

Quote Originally Posted by Herobizkit View Post
    ...but when do they get to be Ravens?
    They already are, really; I've just avoided using the term for the sake of plausible deniability. You know, at least pretending to have an original setting.

I've also avoided using official "ranks" like in that other journal; Pilots are generally ranked by skill, but it's not in distinct classes as such. Still, each block of 10 pilots in the top 50 is a noticeable cut above the block below it, with more money, better attributes, and sometimes better perks. The Top Ten pilots are particularly abominable, having budgets floating around 80cr, 24 attribute points (to the PCs' 22), and at least one mildly unfair perk.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

These are cool!

And for what it's worth, it's a time-honored Armored Core tradition to fill the lowest ranks with surprisingly-powerful pilots, so that they start appearing as the PCs inevitably work their way through the original top 50 list.
    Well I'm glad you like them! I can probably come up with a few more if you're sure you don't mind.

As for the journal itself, I feel like you're starting to hit your stride. As I've never written one of these myself I can't give any direct advice, I would recommend checking out the All Guardsmen Party, written by Shoggy, on this site, for some examples of well written fight scenes.