New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: xkcd

1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: xkcd

Sadly, I think "Big Stupid" is running the show right now.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Sadly, I think "Big Stupid" is running the show right now.
    "Running" is a strong word. Maybe "flailing at."

I'd like to see this extended into two dimensions like the scariness of the name vs scariness of the thing. In this case, sinister/silly rating on the X axis and actual sinster/silly on the Y. I nominate Big Corn as having a silly name for a sinister influence on a broad spectrum of life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ettin in the Playground

I think we all know who the real mastermind is!
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    "Running" is a strong word. Maybe "flailing at."

I'd like to see this extended into two dimensions like the scariness of the name vs scariness of the thing. In this case, sinister/silly rating on the X axis and actual sinster/silly on the Y. I nominate Big Corn as having a silly name for a sinister influence on a broad spectrum of life.
    While I agree that a 2-dimensional representation would probably be better, I think that delving too far would quickly result in political discussions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ettin in the Playground

Last edited by Lord Torath; 2019-04-01 at 12:54 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

6. - Top - End - #546
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This was probably intentional on Randall's part, but the top google image search result for "wheel" is in fact a bicycle wheel today. I'm curious whether the bike wheel was the first result before today, of if it rose to the top after all the xkcd readers searched "wheel" and clicked on the first bike wheel they saw. It would be interesting to see Beret Guy attach a wheel of cheese to his cars, or a ferris wheel or wheel of fortune for that matter.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
    - Douglas Adams

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

Google search results are personalized to the user. Two different persons will get two different top results.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #548

The first page of DuckDuckGo image searches (which are not personalized) does include bicycle wheels, though they aren't first.

9. - Top - End - #549

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Google search results are personalized to the user. Two different persons will get two different top results.
    That's what I thought after I first did the search, but then I immediately tried again in an incognito window, which should have prevented personalized results, and I still got the same bicycle wheel.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
    - Douglas Adams

10. - Top - End - #550
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrimino View Post
    That's what I thought after I first did the search, but then I immediately tried again in an incognito window, which should have prevented personalized results, and I still got the same bicycle wheel.
    From what I understand, incognito just stops the results you gain and the cookies and whatnot during that session from being recorded. It still reads the cookies and stuff that already exists on your computer.

11. - Top - End - #551

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    From what I understand, incognito just stops the results you gain and the cookies and whatnot during that session from being recorded. It still reads the cookies and stuff that already exists on your computer.
    Are you sure? I was under the impression that incognito windows didn't read cookies or anything.
    - Douglas Adams

12. - Top - End - #552
    Troll in the Playground

Are you sure? I was under the impression that incognito windows didn't read cookies or anything.
    Well, I've gotten results that seem excessively personalized based on my past stuff before - and different than other people experimenting with the same thing - when we did some testing in that regard.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

Incognito mode only prevents people on your computer from seeing your browsing activity, it does not prevent websites from seeing cookies already stored in your computer.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

Incognito stops your search history from being recorded in your computer (well if you know your stuff I think you can still access it). It has no effect on Google’s servers.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Incognito mode prevents a web site from accessing any record of anything on your computer that happened outside the Incognito window, and prevents other windows on your computer from accessing anything that's recorded in the Incognito window. This means Google cannot access your browser history or cookies.

Incognito mode does not, as far as I know, prevent access to things like that you're using Chrome, what version you're using, what your screen resolution is, and many other bits and pieces of information like that, which can be used to create a "device fingerprint" that is mostly stable (so it will be the same in an Incognito window as in your normal browsing or a previous Incognito session) and is very likely unique when considered as a whole. Incognito mode certainly does not prevent a web site from recording things on its own servers, and Google could (I don't know if they actually do) save your device fingerprint on their servers and use it to look up your search history in their records even in Incognito mode.

Incognito mode also does not hide your IP address, which might rarely change and could be used to track you with a bit less certainty.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

16. - Top - End - #556

PaladinGuy

It says a lot about the world today that I read this and assumed this was an actual thing people believed. That being said, there's probably actually someone out there who really thinks this.
    - Douglas Adams

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ettin in the Playground

It says a lot about the world today that I read this and assumed this was an actual thing people believed. That being said, there's probably actually someone out there who really thinks this.
    The alt-text is... regrettably not as fictional as it should be.
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ettin in the Playground

The alt-text is... regrettably not as fictional as it should be.
    You mean St. Andrews actually has a lightsaber team?

Or did I get the wrong comic?
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2019-05-31 at 08:41 AM.
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post

Yeah, I also think they talk about Wednesday's comic.. Or at least it makes more sense.
    I sure wish today's comic was true, though!
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post

Alas, I don't have access to comics unreleased at the time of posting

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ettin in the Playground

Alas, I don't have access to comics unreleased at the time of posting
    I suppose I could have checked the Wiki to see if the Diploma Legal Notes was posted today. Most of the time "today's" comic isn't up when I get to work, and shows up sometime later in the day. Thus, I assumed the Diploma Legal Notes was Wednesday's comic.

That, and your comment was much funnier when applied to today's Alt-Text!

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

"Google results are personalized, two different people searching for the same thing get different things."
    "Oh yeah well what if instead I test that theory by having one person search in two different ways? Does it help if one of the ways, Google pinky-swore it probably wouldn't spy on me?"
    "...one person doing it twice and getting the same result doesn't disprove two people doing it once and getting different results. Have you tried asking a friend?"
    "Who needs friends when you have Incognito Mode?"

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #563
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    "Google results are personalized, two different people searching for the same thing get different things."
    "Oh yeah well what if instead I test that theory by having one person search in two different ways? Does it help if one of the ways, Google pinky-swore it probably wouldn't spy on me?"
    "...one person doing it twice and getting the same result doesn't disprove two people doing it once and getting different results. Have you tried asking a friend?"
    "Who needs friends when you have Incognito Mode?"
    The question remains, if it does more then this.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    The question remains, if it does more then this.
    Does it really sound like that over there?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

Whoever linked to webring, Malwarebytes is reporting that it blocked a Trojan from that address.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Does it really sound like that over there?
    I could try to pretend I was chanelling officer Crabtree, but it is just a mistake on my part.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Could you guys instead of saying "Today's comic" actually just link to the comic? Figuring out "today's comic" when reading through the thread is extremely painful.

28. - Top - End - #568

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Could you guys instead of saying "Today's comic" actually just link to the comic? Figuring out "today's comic" when reading through the thread is extremely painful.
    Yeah, the comics always even have the permanent link helpfully under them. The only excuse is if you are using a touch-screen device, and then you really should have thought of that before you decided to inconvenience the rest of us you selfish so-and-so.

On the other hand, I feel the need to throw over ripe fruit at Randal because he doesn't list the date of first posting on his comics. Let's just hand out the blame all around.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Yeah, the comics always even have the permanent link helpfully under them. The only excuse is if you are using a touch-screen device, and then you really should have thought of that before you decided to inconvenience the rest of us you selfish so-and-so.

On the other hand, I feel the need to throw over ripe fruit at Randal because he doesn't list the date of first posting on his comics. Let's just hand out the blame all around.
    No, us mobile folk can still find the permalink by hitting the previous- and next-comic buttons in succession. I just felt safe knowing there couldn't be anything regrettable about a light saber fencing team not being fictional.

30. - Top - End - #570

No, us mobile folk can still find the permalink by hitting the previous- and next-comic buttons in succession.
    My limited experience with mobile devices is that copy and paste are only one step above auto-open-heart-surgery.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.