New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1161 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Neither a lizard nor an allosaur is a dwarf. Bloodfeast can't go through.
    This really makes me wonder. If someone was shapeshifted into a dwarf and tried to walk through the barrier, would they get through yet be turned back into their original species, or would they be unable to get through at all? I suppose it depends on which clause takes place first - negating any spells on them, or only permitting dwarves to pass.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Halfling in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Hilgya and (probably) Minrah still off screen.

Keep in mind that Durkon said there are three rings making up the council chambers, each with its own set of... rules? protections? - but Gontor* only seems to know about two of them. The vampires probably don't expect Minrah to show up at all, and may be unclear about Hilgya (or think she could be easily dominated, and therefore not much of a threat).

So showing the Order is like saying, here we are, look at us. Minrah and Hilgya are the good guys' sleigh of hand.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

We know that V knows Greater Invis though, so it's a bit odd. I guess either explanation works, personally I prefer Grey Wolf's. Though FWIW the scene would work just as well if Roy got caught seemingly inexplicably, with V then speaking out of thin air.

4. - Top - End - #124

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Remove paralysis is the most obvious; it's even an ideal candidate for a wand, should Haley retroactively have one.
    That seems like a not-especially-efficent way of fixing this, with four targets - including Mr Scruffy - down. With the worm's caster level, a +2 bonus seems unlikely to be enough for the Order of Poor Will Saves, and guaranteed-release would require four separate castings.

(And given that Haley is the one that gestures in the direction of the clerics, she probably doesn't)

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eilandesq View Post
    Assuming that [Hilgya] won't decide to turn on Durkon while he's alone out there on the bridge against the nightcrawler and a vampiric cleric of at least 13th level.
    As long as he keeps both feet on the ground, he shouldn't be able to put either in his mouth. He has nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    The using an immobile comrade as weapon idea was from Blackwing, it will take a bit more character development for V to oppose such suggestions on principle (rather because of ineffectiveness), and V might never get there.
    To paraphrase something I said earlier, V has gone through enough character development to take others' suggestions seriously, but hasn't gone through quite enough to realize they can ignore them when they're stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayek View Post
    If Bloodfeast were thrown through the orange barrier, wouldn't that dispel the polymorph effect and allow it to revert to allosaur form? That could be very bad for the vampires, but also for their thralls. And possibly for the ceiling.
    I'm imagining two possible scenarios from Belkar chucking Bloodfeast at the barrier:
    1. Touching the barrier is enough to dispel baleful polymorph and Bloodfeast turns the tide of battle, but gets knocked off the narrow platform before it can completely end the encounter.
    2. Bloodfeast bounces off, Elan correctly realizes it can't go through due to not being a dwarf, and he promptly glues a beard on to trick the barrier into letting Bloodfeast through.
    Spoiler: Unrelated tangent
    Show

...which, in Elan-logic, leads to a dinosaur with a beard.

In a D&D game I played, the party druid had a belt of dwarvenkind, which (among other things) gives you a beard. We joked that this applied even in animal forms, including the T. rex the druid turned into with polymorph. The joke lived on after the druid left the party, because the wizard regularly cast polymorph on party members, and the only T. rex he ever saw was the druid...

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    None of the characters has a player.
    Eh, it's a joke, don't sweat it. I thought it was even an amusing joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

That seems like a not-especially-efficent way of fixing this, with four targets - including Mr Scruffy - down. With the worm's caster level, a +2 bonus seems unlikely to be enough for the Order of Poor Will Saves, and guaranteed-release would require four separate castings.
    Caster level doesn't affect the save DC (unlike the dispel DC).
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

7. - Top - End - #127

HalflingRangerGuy

No it isn't, it's on Team Hel.

Team Evil's up at the Pole, and has no dog in this fight.
    Actually, technically Hilgya is Team Evil adjacent (the Linear Guild was working with Team Evil), so there is a tiny possibility that Team Evil does have a Dwarf in the fight (I would not want to call Hilgya a dog, she can be quite vindictive about slights on her... it would also mean we are calling Kutzu a little SOB).
    Last edited by Shoelessgdowar; 2019-04-15 at 03:30 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shoelessgdowar View Post
    Actually, technically Helgya is Team Evil adjacent (the Linear Guild was working with Team Evil), so there is a tiny possibility that Team Evil does have a Dwarf in the fight (I would not want to call Helgya a dog, she can be quite vindictive about slights on her... it would also mean we are calling Kutzu a little SOB).
    Hilgya, and I don't think she's with team Evil at all.

Why does Loki want that Talisman?
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-04-15 at 02:45 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #129

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post

Does Loki need a reason?

Retrospectively, he planted Hilgya in there to have her near the gate and the talisman was an excuse to get away with it.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, technically Helgya is Team Evil adjacent (the Linear Guild was working with Team Evil), so there is a tiny possibility that Team Evil does have a Dwarf in the fight.
    Hilgya used to work for the Linear Guild, who used to work for Xykon. It's been well over 1,000 strips since either of those was the case. I'd say Hilgya is (probably) Linear-Guild-adjacent, and the Linear Guild is within a 10-foot radius of Team Evil. It's possible that Hilgya is adjacent to Team Evil, but there are plenty more ways for her to be at least two spaces away.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

These are 2 Large elementals, right? (eyeballing from size)

I'm suddenly craving for the insta-kill plutonium Elemental that will surely and realistically happen one day.

So, Roy's Mind Blank is offline, then?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    These are 2 Large elementals, right? (eyeballing from size)

I'm suddenly craving for the insta-kill plutonium Elemental that will surely and realistically happen one day.

So, Roy's Mind Blank is offline, then?
    Should be large elementals, since the Exarggh got two of them from Summon VII. The Pu elemental would be interesting, from a distance. Louis Slotin could tell you more, but you'd need a Ouija board.

I guess the Order has been in Firmament more than 24 hours after V casted that spell on Roy. One reason I thought the LDW would lead with GDM is so any opponents' buffs that'd protect against its save or suck arsenal could be removed. Worked anyway, I guess. Now comes the devouring...

I'm with Peelee: that long shot of the battle is a fantastically drawn scene.

13. - Top - End - #133

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Reached the end of his movement range for his turn? Remember when he stopped in mid-air for that same reason?

They had at least a couple of turns. And with DC of 10 + 1/2 level + CHA, Greg would be sitting at around 18-20. Enough that it'd be a ~25% chance for even Hilgya, likely the best Will save of them all, which means that across two turns, chances where realistically possible to be failed (>40%). If the lower ones concentrated on the easy targets like Belkar and Elan, the whole thing is perfectly plausible.

Grey Wolf
    With neither Roy or anyone else noticing?
    Sudden thought after watching an old "Lois and Clark" episode: Lane Davies aka Tempus is probably the best possible choice to portray an animated or live action Xykon if either of those ever becomes reality--he was born in 1950 and Tempus' personality is a close match for pre-lich Xykon IMO. Just my two cents.

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Hilgya used to work for the Linear Guild, who used to work for Xykon. It's been well over 1,000 strips since either of those was the case. I'd say Hilgya is (probably) Linear-Guild-adjacent, and the Linear Guild is within a 10-foot radius of Team Evil. It's possible that Hilgya is adjacent to Team Evil, but there are plenty more ways for her to be at least two spaces away.
    But where does Kevin Bacon fit in?

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Is there a thread listing every instance of a character lifting their finger to point something out? It never ceases to make me laugh
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's like, a secret to everybody or whatever.

16. - Top - End - #136

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    Is it bad that I kind of want Wormy not to lose?
    Weren't there any classic elementals during the first book? With the Earth\Fire\Air sigil parts?
    There were elemental beings (Celia is a Sylph, an Air Elemental being), but not actual pure Elemental Golems of Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, Shadow, Light, Metal, Wood, Sand, Magma, Ooze, Ice, Salt, etc.

Turns out, there was a Water Elemental born from 2 Hydrogen Elementals and an Oxygen Elemental in a bonus strip of Book 4 (Don't Split the Party), but besides that, the only elementals we had seen until now have been Redcloak's Periodic Table Elementals. Too bad Redcloak hasn't learned chemistry, otherwise he'd know he just needs to summon carbon Elementals or Aluminum and Oxygen Elementals, and he can made Diamonds and Sapphires galore respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Hilgya, and I don't think she's with team Evil at all.

As I said, adjacent, not Evil (Despite what some people think, that she is a heartless monster).

Loki wanted the Talisman so Nale didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Hekko View Post
    Does Loki need a reason?

Retrospectively, he planted Hilgya in there to have her near the gate and the talisman was an excuse to get away with it.
    Does he need one? No. Does he have one? Almost absolutely, but we have not yet learned it.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Hilgya could have made a deal with the IFCC, who also seem to have some influence still over the Linear Guild, and may even be manipulating Team Evil. We don't know all the ramifications, and would need a pretty impressive murder board and venn diagram hybrid to track all the intersections and links in the Stickverse.

17. - Top - End - #137

Roy's seems frozen into the exact same position and expression now as O-Chul was when he wound up at MitD's tea party. Flopsy is now Stiffly.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RabidEel View Post
    But where does Kevin Bacon fit in?
    Spoiler: Don't Split the Party bonus content
    Show
    The relationship chart that constitutes the cast of characters in the front of the book has a relationship line for "Sabine wants to shtup Kevin Bacon".
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

You know you're nearing the endgame when the foes start using advanced tactical strategies instead of "3 traps+slash until things die".
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

20. - Top - End - #140
    Banned

Too bad Redcloak hasn't learned chemistry, otherwise he'd know he just needs to summon carbon Elementals or Aluminum and Oxygen Elementals, and he can made Diamonds and Sapphires galore respectively.
    In fact Redcloak got "passing grades in Chem."

And why would Redcloak of all people want sapphires?
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2019-04-15 at 04:06 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

In fact Redcloak got "passing grades in Chem."

And why would Redcloak of all people want sapphires?
    To throw at the Azurites to mock them, obviously.

I'm pretty sure Redcloak has attempted to harvest diamonds from Carbon Elementals in the past, but eventually stopped either because it was too difficult or the other elementals started complaining.

Also, if he can make sapphires, he can make rubies with a few relatively minor changes. Sadly, he cannot make Emerald through this process.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-04-15 at 04:17 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

22. - Top - End - #142

GreataxeFighterGirl

Redcloak's new Implosion: heat target up with divine fire, get grappled by Ice and Water Elemental.

Boom.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

Panel 9.
    Roy, that was close, you almost had another 443.
    "You... little... *****. It's what my old man called me, it's like it was my name, and I proved him right, by killing all the wrong people. [And], I love ya Henry, and I'll never call you anything but your name, but you gotta decide; are you gonna lay there, swallow that blood in your mouth, or are you gonna stand up, spit it out, and go spill theirs?" - Unknown

24. - Top - End - #144

BlueWizardGirl

I wouldn't be surprised if animals weren't subject to the "dwarves only" rule, either implicitly (the rule is only for people) or explicitly (in order to allow councilmembers' service animals into the chamber).
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aveline View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if animals weren't subject to the "dwarves only" rule, either implicitly (the rule is only for people) or explicitly (in order to allow councilmembers' service animals into the chamber).
    Have we seen any service animals that weren't classed as Ranger's companions, Mage familiars, or other similar situations? Is there a Stickworld ADA law in the Dwarven Lands?

26. - Top - End - #146

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Have we seen any service animals that weren't classed as Ranger's companions, Mage familiars, or other similar situations? Is there a Stickworld ADA law in the Dwarven Lands?
    However you'd classify a service animal (how about "service animal"? Not every dwarf has class levels), I think familiars and animal companions could be exempt too.

Edit: I mean, familiars and animal companions of dwarves who would normally be allowed to pass through the orange barrier.
    Last edited by Aveline; 2019-04-15 at 05:18 PM.
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Bloodfeast is surely a dwarf allosaur! The only question is whether he is enough of a rules lawy

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gatemansgc View Post
    makes sense.

also it's lucky mr scruffy didn't get a direct hit from the rock, that likely would have been an instant kill.
    I am glad Scruffy survived but very angry at the worm/elementals for hurting him (Scruffy has damage marks).

Also, someone else mentioned a plutonium elemental as an instakill. I'd suggest a Polonium elemental would be even more deadly. Or summoning a Cesium Elemental on your underwater adventure. :)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Chaotic Neutral Human Sorcerer (5th Level)

Ability Scores:

Strength - 11
    Dexterity - 16
    Constitution - 11
    Intelligence - 15
    Wisdom - 12
    Charisma - 11

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Astatine Elemental. Biggest you can summon.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eilandesq View Post
    With neither Roy or anyone else noticing?
    You're the one that brought up the fact that they are looking at the vampires, not at each other.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est