New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Serini is a moron

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Well, at least you spelled it out: "Serini is dumb because she's not doing exactly what I want her to do."
    No, she is dumb for limiting her options in a crisis based on her personal stubbornness and inability to let go of her biases and preconceived notions. It just so happens that a lot of us would like her to do that. You appear to have worked through the problem backwards here.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    No, she is dumb for limiting her options in a crisis based on her personal stubbornness and inability to let go of her biases and preconceived notions.
    I agree she is doing those things. I don’t agree that makes her dumb.
    Last edited by Dion; 2021-09-21 at 09:21 AM.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Titan in the Playground

Is my account haunted or am I getting subscription notifications about posts that aren't in the thread when I check?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    No, she is dumb for limiting her options in a crisis based on her personal stubbornness and inability to let go of her biases and preconceived notions. It just so happens that a lot of us would like her to do that. You appear to have worked through the problem backwards here.
    ^ This.

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I agree she is doing those things. I don’t agree that makes her dumb.
    That would be our impasse, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    They destroyed Xykon at the end of the first book. That would have been it if they had known what a phylactery was.
    And there'd have been no story.
    Quote Originally Posted by theNater View Post
    You are significantly more optimistic about the Order's chances of defeating Redcloak and the MitD at that point than I am.
    MiTD is a bit of a wild card, yes.
    But it's still not the original claim you made, which was the Order is the only one that has come close to stopping Xykon.
    Soon's ghost army did it (and about had Xykon and Redcloak down for the count) until Miko screwed the pooch.
    The tracking the Scribble agreed to was a simple "is the gate broken?" yes/no. To know that O-Chul tried to destroy a gate, and that his personal katana was used to destroy one, requires another source of information.
    Concur.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    I never understand why Dorukan and Lirian's "secret affair" constitute as a breach of "no interference" rule.
    True love knows no such rules. Elan could tell us that.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Because Girard and Dorukan hated Soon so much that she wanted to make sure the Scribblers wouldn't end up killing each other, so the vow was to never see each other again, period.
    Which places the problem directly in the hands of a pair of spell casting egomaniacs.
    I do wonder if they did so knowing full well Soon and only Soon would keep it.
    Given Soon's honorableness, and their (particularly Girard's) lack thereof, likely but AFAIK unconfirmed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Point or not, the actual agreement and it's description seems to imply no contact whatsoever: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html
    Which is almost carte blanche, narratively, for someone to break that promise. Elan could tell us all about that.

Serini was dealing with a roomfull of type-A-alpha-males in conflict. Getting any agreement out of them at all was an achievement.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-09-21 at 10:09 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Given that she's the only "Gate Defender" left, I didn't think I needed to spell out that part of it It's blatantly obvious I want them to work together...
    Yes it is, and I don't object to that position. What I object to is the specific false claim that the Order has nearly stopped Xykon; a claim you don't actually need to support your overall point.

I'd say it's far more likely that she has detailed intel on what happened in the throne room, since that's the tracking we know the Scribble agreed to.
    Soon, the paladin, was literally the only one who actually followed that agreement. Dorukan and Lirian were bumping uglies, Kraagor was dead and Girard lied about his gate completely. All it would take for Serini to know what was happening in that throne room - which she did - would be one more lie.
    Your argument that Serini's information is limited to the throne room is based on that being the tracking the Scribble agreed to. But since that's not the agreement, and you believe she's not adhering to it anyway, why would she limit her information-gathering to the throne room?

7. - Top - End - #727
    Titan in the Playground

But since that's not the agreement, and you believe she's not adhering to it anyway, why would she limit her information-gathering to the throne room?
    The next to last panel of strip 1244 answers that.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

8. - Top - End - #728

Yes it is, and I don't object to that position. What I object to is the specific false claim that the Order has nearly stopped Xykon; a claim you don't actually need to support your overall point.
    Fine, "come closer than every other group who has tried, including Serini herself." Whatever.

Your argument that Serini's information is limited to the throne room is based on that being the tracking the Scribble agreed to. But since that's not the agreement, and you believe she's not adhering to it anyway, why would she limit her information-gathering to the throne room?
    Because it's more logical that she was watching the Gate (which she cares about) rather than a random paladin she wouldn't have known was even important before seeing him scouting the North Pole.

My point is that she knows the details of what happened regarding Soon's Gate. You're assuming she is keeping tabs on O-Chul, and I was offering a competing hypothesis, one that I feel is more likely.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #729
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Because it's more logical that she was watching the Gate (which she cares about) rather than a random paladin she wouldn't have known was even important before seeing him scouting the North Pole.

My point is that she knows the details of what happened regarding Soon's Gate. You're assuming she is keeping tabs on O-Chul, and I was offering a competing hypothesis, one that I feel is more likely.
    I think the fact that she brings up O'chul's personal katana indicates that she saw O'chul's conversation with Hinjo. I'm not sure why she would bring up that detail specifically except to throw O'chul's exact wording in his face.

10. - Top - End - #730

I think the fact that she brings up O'chul's personal katana indicates that she saw O'chul's conversation with Hinjo. I'm not sure why she would bring up that detail specifically except to throw O'chul's exact wording in his face.
    Or because she saw Miko use his katana to smash the gem - which happened in the throne room.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Fine, "come closer than every other group who has tried, including Serini herself." Whatever.
    Soon Kim and the Ghost-Martyrs of the Sapphire Guard are still not members of the Order, no matter how much that would benefit your position.

I'm suggesting she started keeping tabs on O-Chul after seeing him try to destroy a gate, which was rather significantly before he headed to the North Pole.

12. - Top - End - #732

SwashbucklerGuy

Or because she saw Miko use his katana to smash the gem - which happened in the throne room.
    Yeah she would have known about it, but it would be a pretty minor detail to bring up. I sort of see her comment as "oh, you want me to rephrase your promise so you can exact word your way out of it again? nice try."

13. - Top - End - #733

Soon Kim and the Ghost-Martyrs of the Sapphire Guard are still not members of the Order, no matter how much that would benefit your position.
    So the Order had no positive impact on that conflict at all? If Xykon and Redcloak were able to walk into that throne room with all their backup, I believe Soon would have been overwhelmed.

I'm suggesting she started keeping tabs on O-Chul after seeing him try to destroy a gate, which was rather significantly before he headed to the North Pole.
    I'm well aware what you're suggesting. We'll have to wait and see.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #734

SwashbucklerGuy

So the Order had no positive impact on that conflict at all? If Xykon and Redcloak were able to walk into that throne room with all their backup, I believe Soon would have been overwhelmed.
    I'm not sure the backup would have mattered since only Redcloak and Xykon could affect the ghosts. However Redcloak getting there a little earlier might have saved Xykon enough damage to turn the fight around.

15. - Top - End - #735

I'm not sure the backup would have mattered since only Redcloak and Xykon could affect the ghosts. However Redcloak getting there a little earlier might have saved Xykon enough damage to turn the fight around.
    They had at least three other clerics on their team. Moreover, Xykon got beat up so badly in the first place because Redcloak ran out of healing harming for him. So yes, more clerical backup could have easily made the difference up there, and the Order kept that from happening.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #736

SwashbucklerGuy

They had at least three other clerics on their team. Moreover, Xykon got beat up so badly in the first place because Redcloak ran out of healing harming for him. So yes, more clerical backup could have easily made the difference up there, and the Order kept that from happening.
    You have a point about the usefulness of healing, but Redcloak did have an extra cleric when he came in, and dismissed him on account of his low level. I think the same thing would have happened if there had been more clerics.

I also forgot about the three Xykon lookalikes Redcloak made. They had enough magical power to be helpful, and Redcloak wouldn't care about their safety.

17. - Top - End - #737

You have a point about the usefulness of healing, but Redcloak did have an extra cleric when he came in, and dismissed him on account of his low level. I think the same thing would have happened if there had been more clerics.

I also forgot about the three Xykon lookalikes Redcloak made. They had enough magical power to be helpful, and Redcloak wouldn't care about their safety.
    The Huecuva was indeed one of the clerics I was thinking of. As it was under Redcloak's absolute control, he wouldn't have dismissed it like he did Tsukiko, but the Order prevented that by destroying it.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

So the Order had no positive impact on that conflict at all?
    I'm perfectly content to sit at "the Order has significantly hindered Xykon on multiple occasions" without going to any hyperbolic extremes.

19. - Top - End - #739

SwashbucklerGuy

The Huecuva was indeed one of the clerics I was thinking of. As it was under Redcloak's absolute control, he wouldn't have dismissed it like he did Tsukiko, but the Order prevented that by destroying it.
    I see, I was thinking of the other hobgoblin clerics. I totally agree then.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ettin in the Playground

And you say your positions are any different?
    I have no idea what this post is supposed to mean. The only interpretation I can come up with is that you think I've been saying "Serini is doing exactly what I want her to do," which is nowhere close to what I've been saying.

21. - Top - End - #741

I'm perfectly content to sit at "the Order has significantly hindered Xykon on multiple occasions" without going to any hyperbolic extremes.
    We can, if you want, give the Order some credit for being in the area when Soon Kim nearly stopped Xykon.
    Your claim was no less hyperbolic, or I suppose that should be hypobolic? Pot, meet kettle, etc.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Your claim was no less hyperbolic, or I suppose that should be hypobolic? Pot, meet kettle, etc.
    My claim was exactly correct: the order was in the area when Soon Kim nearly stopped Xykon. Moreover, I am still willing to give them credit for that. You're the only one trying to force it into "the Order gets all the credit" or "the Order gets no credit".

23. - Top - End - #743

My claim was exactly correct: the order was in the area when Soon Kim nearly stopped Xykon.
    Denotatively, yes. So were Kubota's ninjas. Your implication was that the Order didn't contribute in a meaningful way, when without them chances are Xykon would have grabbed that Gate and the world might have been unraveled right then and there rather than the gods dealing with TDO's blackmail plan.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #744

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    The problem is there is a massive gap between 'don't trust the Order' and 'don't communicate with them at all and actively attack them.
    She wants to dose 'em with Amnesia. Do you think the Order will allow that to happen?

Denotatively, yes. So were Kubota's ninjas. Your implication was that the Order didn't contribute in a meaningful way, when without them chances are Xykon would have grabbed that Gate and the world might have been unraveled right then and there rather than the gods dealing with TDO's blackmail plan.
    Actually, had Miko never been sent to bring the Order and start thinking they were evil, she'd have never destroyed the gate, and Soon and the ghost-paladins would have finished Xykon and Redcloak off.
    Last edited by JonahFalcon; 2021-09-21 at 05:29 PM.

25. - Top - End - #745

HalflingRogueGuy

My claim is the most hyperbolic claim. Ever.

26. - Top - End - #746

Quote Originally Posted by JonahFalcon View Post
    Actually, had Miko never been sent to bring the Order and start thinking they were evil, she'd have never destroyed the gate, and Soon and the ghost-paladins would have finished Xykon and Redcloak off.
    That What If goes much further. Without the Order, the army would have been utterly steamrolled (Xykon would have still had his dragon even) and Soon would have faced a Redcloak and Xykon with a lot more spells, plus the ability to step outside the throne room if things went south without getting pounced on by high-level adventurers.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #747

That What If goes much further. Without the Order, the army would have been utterly steamrolled (Xykon would have still had his dragon even) and Soon would have faced a Redcloak and Xykon with a lot more spells, plus the ability to step outside the throne room if things went south without getting pounced on by high-level adventurers.
    Haley was also the one who figured out the shell game. If she hadn't pointed that out Sangwaan would probably not have used true seeing and spotted Xykon on his way to the throne room, and Durkon wouldn't have dispelled his invisibility. The army would have been busy fighting the fake Xykons, who would have wrecked shop on their own without the order (who took out all 3 of them). Hinjo would have been assassinated by the guy let out of prison to help with the defense. The breach in the south wall wouldn't have been patched by V turning the pikemen huge, V wouldn't have been there to dismiss the summoned elementals, really the whole thing would have gone far differently.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2021-09-21 at 08:05 PM.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Surely the time in the comic when Xykon came the closest to being defeated was when he was killed at Dorukon's gate, rather than when he was almost killed by the paladins

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

Nah, Redcloak still had the phylactery. Back with Soon, he knew that Redcloak's holy symbol was the phylactery and that he could tell people who came in once he'd destroyed Xykon's body and slain Redcloak.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Nah, Redcloak still had the phylactery. Back with Soon, he knew that Redcloak's holy symbol was the phylactery and that he could tell people who came in once he'd destroyed Xykon's body and slain Redcloak.
    Ah, fair enough