New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Vaarsuvius is the bored player

Vaarsuvius represents the player who is bored with the sidequest in an RPG. Think about it. All V has been doing since they have been on the boat has to research ways to get the party back together to continue with the main plot. V has shown that he wants combats over as quickly as possible. When V disintegrated Kubota, she asked if they can "PLEASE resume saving the world". V is obviously the player bored with the sidequest. He will even kill the (secondary) villain to finish the sidequest. She just wants to get back to the main plot.
    Although I don't agree with V on this one, are there any opinions about this theory?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Vaarsuvius is the bored player

the line between player and char is blurred in OOTS. there are no clear players sitting at a table, instead the oots merely struggle to operate in a world bound by DND laws. V is not the bored player, but merely bored. V has exhausted what little patience he had to begin with and is acting to speed things up
    Quote Originally Posted by theinsulabot;
    so before roland shows up and six guns us all, i would just like to say.....

six guns is not actually a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude;
    Sheriff: Six-gunned!
    all night guard of the fan club

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

That is why V isn't the bored player, but represents the bored player. Maybe I should have been a bit more clear. Although there aren't actually any players, V is certainly acting like a player that is bored. And V isn't just acting like any bored player. V is acting like a player that is bored with the plot.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

V clearly isn't being played by a bored player, due to the whole "suffering arcanist" shtick he's going through right now. The player is definitely roleplaying their part.
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. - Friedrich Nietzsche

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

V has no patience at all right now, and he's fed up with how many resources are being poured into combatting this guy when he deserves (in V's eyes) to die. Unwilling to waste another month or more on legal nonsense, V solves the problem presented to her.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

What's a "player"? Don't think those exist.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spiky View Post
    What's a "player"? Don't think those exist.
    A "player" is "a male who is skilled at manipulating ("playing") others, and especially at seducing women by pretending to care about them, when in reality they are only interested in sex. Possibly derived from the phrases "play him for a fool", or "play him like a violin". The term was popularized by hip-hop culture, but was commonly recognized among urban American blacks by the 1970s."

-urbandictionary.com

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. - Friedrich Nietzsche

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

As I have remarked before: The world of OotS behaves like a Dungeons & Dragons game, and this includes the main characters acting like PCs; i.e., they act in many ways as if they were controlled by players -- fairly archetypal players, even. Thus we may speak fairly meaningfully, I think, of what these players would be like, were they real. (And, heck, it's not like the members of the Order are especially real themselves, being fictional characters and all.)

One could certainly make a case that V's Hypothetical Player is bored with the current sidequest.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theinsulabot View Post
    V is not the bored player, but merely bored.
    I think "bored player" fits better than "bored character". From the character level, Vaarsuvius' actions may not get the fleet to land any quicker, but from a player level, it will now likely happen in fewer play sessions.

Someone was asking who was going to replace Belkar's role if he died; I now think Vaarsuvius is a candidate. (He's also a candidate for elimination from the strip, though, if he's too powerful.)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

V doesn't suffer from boredom.

V is obsessive about getting in touch with Haley and co. V is frustrated and stressed out that she/he has had no luck in contacting his/her friends. V is angry, aggravated, frustrated and annoyed that while he/she is trying to accomplish this important goal so the party can raise Roy and go and stop Xykon, gnats like Kubota keep biting and time and resources are being wasted on them.

But it's not boredom.
    Last edited by Theodoriph; 2008-09-23 at 12:09 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

I kind of agree with you. V is bored, but s/he also really wants to get back with Haley and co., and both are valid reasons for getting the plot over with.
    Avatar by neoseph7. Avatar hosted here.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JaxGaret View Post
    A "player" is "a male who is skilled at manipulating ("playing") others, and especially at seducing women by pretending to care about them, when in reality they are only interested in sex. Possibly derived from the phrases "play him for a fool", or "play him like a violin". The term was popularized by hip-hop culture, but was commonly recognized among urban American blacks by the 1970s."

-urbandictionary.com

Well, I've never seen one of those at a D&D table :p

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JaxGaret View Post

-urbandictionary.com

Does urbandictionary allow for updates ala Wikipedia? Because that is the definition of "playa", not "player".

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

I think V was just being straightforward, as he has stated before, she doesn't like laws that get in the way, so of course he would not want to wait around and let the trial take months, when she could just kill Kubota now.

( Plus it's interfering with his research, I would do the same thing if I was in her shoes )
    Last edited by CyberRebirth; 2008-09-24 at 12:25 PM.
    Naked Dwarven Gappler...?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemper Boyd View Post
    Duergar are immune to poisons.
    So, a Duergar monk who fights naked and lathers himself with contact poisons beforehand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeggedoff View Post
    I think the enemy would fear a naked dwarven grappler WAAAAAY before they even realised he was poisoned

Quote Originally Posted by Korivan View Post
    Fly, haste, enlarge person, iron body.....fall on people.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spiky View Post
    Does urbandictionary allow for updates ala Wikipedia? Because that is the definition of "playa", not "player".
    Never say playa again

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Re: Vaarsuvius is the bored player

I do not concur, and agree with JaxGaret and Theodoriph. V is being played as an obsessed character, not bored. If the player for V was bored, then they would not continue to rant and battle as the game progresses.

A bored player usually is in their own world, not focused on the game at all. I have seen bored players go totally off tangent, try to disrupt the game or sit-out when battles are raging.
    "We're all amateurs; it's just that some of us are more professional about it than others." George Carlin, 1997.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

By the standard definitions of "bored", V does not seem to be so. Nor would that be applied to any player involved. V is highly frustrated, which is rather the opposite of boredom. She cares intensely about the situation, but he is unable to do what she desires about it. We might argue that makes him angry enough to murder people, but it does not make V bored.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

To be perfectly honest, I've never seen V so happy. He's back doing what he wants to do, it's challenging, his annoying moral compass is not around (Roy) to stop him from simply, uh...clearing a path when necessary, and he has plenty of people to snipe at. Dude's ecstatic.

His increasingly pompous conversational patterns are very enjoyable to myself, I might add.