New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Default FG: Windows or Steam?

I’m going to get Fantasy Grounds. Should I get it for Windows or for Steam? I don’t know what the difference would be.
    I do have Steam but rarely use it and don’t know much about it
    Thanks for your thoughts.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Default Re: FG: Windows or Steam?

Quote Originally Posted by BeefGood View Post
    I’m going to get Fantasy Grounds. Should I get it for Windows or for Steam? I don’t know what the difference would be.
    I do have Steam but rarely use it and don’t know much about it
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    Steam is just a purchase portal, that said I'd consider buying it on Steam if only because that links it to your Steam Account and in theory provides access to every version of the application if its available on different OS platforms. So should you change to say a Mac in the future and FG is available for Mac then the Steam version will have it by default.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Then it sounds like there is some advantage, and no disadvantage as far as I know, to getting it via Steam. I’ll do that. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Then it sounds like there is some advantage, and no disadvantage as far as I know, to getting it via Steam. I’ll do that. Thanks!
    There are a few, but if you use Steam for other stuff there's little reason not to use that option. Especially since one of Steam's major disadvantages it does checks with its central validation server relatively frequently. But since FG is an online tool not much harm there.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

IMO, the only significant reason to purchase via Steam is if you have regional pricing due to living in a third world country.

Their is no difference between the version you purchase via Steam or the FG Store. The Steam version does not save your data to the cloud or work in a manner different from the FG Store version. They all run a Windows version, and both have a Wine wrapper to allow FG to be installed on a Mac.

If you purchase from Steam, they take 30% of the sale price as commission, and therefore less money goes to the developers of FG.

Note, if you purchase DLC, only buy it from one place or the other, otherwise you will not be available to get a bundle. Note that all sales are duplicated (within an hour or so) on Steam and the FG store, so no price differences other than conversation rates and regional pricing.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

After reading these responses I’m beginning to question one of my assumptions....if I get FG via Steam, can I use it, as DM, on more than one computer? I don’t mean simultaneously; I mean that at times one computer may be more convenient and at other times the other computer may be more convenient. I guess I have the same question with respect to Getting it from FG store.
    Last edited by BeefGood; 2019-08-21 at 10:40 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

NecromancerGuy

After reading these responses I’m beginning to question one of my assumptions....if I get FG via Steam, can I use it, as DM, on more than one computer? I don’t mean simultaneously; I mean that at times one computer may be more convenient and at other times the other computer may be more convenient. I guess I have the same question with respect to Getting it from FG store.
    You can install a single license on multiple computers, as long as they are in the same household. That said, your campaigns and all your data are not sync'd between the installs. That's part of what I meant when I said Steam doesn't do some type of cloud install/save.

You will have to manually copy your campaign data from one computer to the other.

Now, you might think, oh, I can put my FG Data folder in the cloud (Google Drive, OneDrive, etc) and the answer is yes you can. But the warning is, if your cloud drive tries to sync while you are using FG you are eventually going to get corruption and lose everything. SO, don't do that!

There is a script file on the forums that will make a backup of your FG data to you cloud folder and run and update. Their are other ways to do it as well. You just have to be smart about it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

I get it now; thank you. Maybe I will just get it straight from FG.

9. - Top - End - #9

NecromancerGuy

I get it now; thank you. Maybe I will just get it straight from FG.

Sure thing