New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1934353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1454
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Community Based Monster Classes VI

Question: If I were to make a monster class using a monster from the Creature Catalogue's "Converted Monsters" list, would that go in here or in the homebrew thread?
    Last edited by Scio; 2011-03-13 at 12:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

... So no one's done anything with the Trumpet Archon, and it didn't count as complete enough to be abandoned?

Anyone bored should look at that.

Also I changed Grell so they get a tentacle attack per 3HD, rather than 2. This, erm, doesn't necessarily mean I'm back or reclaiming it, it just seemed sensible.

Hope there's nothing wrong with doing that?

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Bugbear in the Playground

Abandoned monsters were only really tracked after I took over handling the front page. IIRC, Trumpet Archon predates me.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

FYI, people, this is spring break for me and Internet access will be decidedly sporadic. Caster progression tables, the last two Greenbound Creature symbionts, and any proofreads are unlikely to happen before next week. Looking forward to getting back to work on the project, but I don't have too much computer access just now, and very little for extended periods of time.

See y'all next week.

-Psy
    delete Teemo.

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    Abandoned monsters were only really tracked after I took over handling the front page. IIRC, Trumpet Archon predates me.
    This is true: it predates you by... a few pages.

Question: If I were to make a monster class using a monster from the Creature Catalogue's "Converted Monsters" list, would that go in here or in the homebrew thread?
    ...Could you give a brief description as to just what these "converted monsters" are? I'm going to assume that it's some guy who decided to convert all the monsters from 1st and 2nd edition D&D to 3rd/3.5: is this correct?
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Orc in the Playground

I said I'd do it, so here it is:

Centaur
    • Interesting choice on saves, between the race itself and Hinterlands Survivor, I was expecting a good Fort here. Ref/Will seems kinda odd for a centaur.
    • Should note that the x4 is only if taken at first, just to be safe.
    • Interesting proficiencies, should specifically note that they're not proficient with armour or shields.
    • Abilities look like they're all (Ex) abilities, but it should probably still be noted.
    • Hinterlands Courser is quite neat
    • Counting as being mounted is interesting, and so are the phantom ranks in ride. Might want to specify whether or not the centaur counts as a mount, and to what extent. Like, for example, for purposes of items such as Horseshoes of Speed/Zephyr.
    • It might just be me, but I find the name 'Tromp and Trample' kind of unwieldy for a name, just find it as something odd to say during a game. The ability does make for a clear and rather nice visual.
    • Seems like it might have odd interaction if you want to overrun or trample (the feats and such) on a charge.
    • Since you'll probably be moving at least ten feet, makes an interesting combination with skirmish...
    • Counting as being mounted benefits a ranged centaur very little from what my research turned up. Though overall this strikes me as a more melee oriented class with some ranged options.
    • Hinterlands Survivor was unexpected as far as abilities go, absolutely destroys environmental effects/dangers. Like the desert heat dangers table from Sandstorm (not that is was hard to do so in the first place though).
    • The 7HD ability seems like it might be odd to adjudicate.
    • Any special considerations for supernatural environmental effects?
    • Treating wind effects one step lower might need some elaboration. I'm assuming that allows you to treat winds as one step lighter for the Fort save, but since there's no specified conditions it seems to me that RAW it makes firing arrows in storms easier. Which I think would be interesting if so, but needs to be addressed specifically either way.
    • Evaluating Seeker's Strike was a bit of a learning experience, never really looked at sundering rules before and found all sorts of neat little facts.
    • So, no bonus from the spirited charge (or ride-by attack) feat if they picked it up?
    • Weird sunder trivia, you can't damage equipment with sunder that has a higher enhancement bonus then your weapon. Does this apply to Seeker's Strike? (Probably should, in my opinion. While it's a weird tidbit, the ability is a sunder analogue and should probably keep some what analogous to it).
    • Really starts to devastate equipment at higher levels, but between expected opponents and the fact that I don't see it rapidly repeatable (unless it does work with ride-by attack, then it could be rather interesting and neat).
    • Might want to specify that the bonus from felling shot be applied after effects like keen when being stacked. It gets rather ridiculous otherwise, especially at higher levels.
    • Under Ironshod advance, might it just be easier to say that the centuar can make on turn of up to 90° ? Or at least more straightforward in regards to turning limitations.
    • I'm not sure I like the effect though, takes a bit extra adjudication to track relative BABs. And that can get you out of a lot of AoOs, bit better then the alternatives. The AC penalty is rather negligible, it's really just a free bonus to hit that gets you more attacks at your full BAB then you would be getting otherwise.
    • You could probably be a bit clearer with the 6HD ability. I'm not sure I like further reducing the 'downsides' to this ability, it's quite nice already.
    • 12HD also had me confused initially, I understand it now but it could probably use some elaboration to clear it up. Meshes well with the 6HD advancement.
    • 18HD definitely has me confused. I think I know what you mean by it, but I'm not really sure.
    • Overall, it's a lot of benefits with very little downside. Terrain aside, it seems that using this ability will always be your best choice for a full-round action. Not much of a decision making process, just an easy choice to use as much as possible. The centuar's going to get a lot more attacks at his full BAB with this ability than he would be able to otherwise.
    • You only specify that the centaur gets a free attack, not whether it's ranged or melee, implying that he could use either. Intentional?
    • Damn that centaur's going to have a huge quiver...
    • Your note at the end, does that mean if a centaur pop invisibility and acquires sneak attack he could, say, deal that damage once to every target? That's definitely hands down better then other volley alternatives.
    • Initial ability wording could be cleared up to point out who the extra attacks at low-health foes work. It could be read as either less heath than the target had before, or than then centaur, I'm assuming it's the centaur otherwise that's just free attacks.
    • Do temporary hit points count for purposes of determining who's lower/higher?
    • That's some good range, toss a few enhancements onto your bow and/or grab some feats and you could be looking at some serious AoE potential within one range increment. Fortunately we're limited by ability mod, but that's some nice range.
    • If you have more targets then allowed shots, is there any method for determining who to attack?
    • I like the idea over all, same note as above, it'll be a lot more attacks at Full BAB then they could get any other way. As a standard action even, I'm not sure why I'd attack with a bow any other way was I to have enough targets.
    • At 9HD, does the centaur choose one option when the ability is first gained and then uses that? Or chooses whenever using the ability?
    • Man, this is a lot of arrows, definitely makes something that produces ammunition a priority.
    • 15HD, same query as at 9HD. Still a high potential for a lot more full BAB attacks then I can think to get otherwise.
    • I love the flavour, but I think this ability might be a bit much. Especially as you get into the higher levels it seems to me that using this ability is almost a non-choice. Grab a splitting bow, some con or hit point buffs to raise your HP and you'll just be going to town on any sort of group that wanders into your range with all those attacks at full BAB. Never mind if you get any extra standard actions...
    • Overall the class is very neat and cool, but I think you're getting a lot out of it for just three levels. Using it's abilities doesn't seem like there's much choice behind them, you'll use them over other options unless you've been forced into a situation where you can't. The ranged options especially seems a lot more attracted then other ranged oriented creatures I've seen come through here. It's didn't look like much with everything in spoilers, but you're getting a lot of stuff from three levels.

That, uh, ended up being longer than I thought it would going into the class... I'll make other commentary on other monsters another time I think.
    Last edited by Zemro; 2011-03-14 at 05:16 PM.
    Homebrew Monster Classes:
    Arcadian Avenger|Thorn|Marrash|Justice Archon

7. - Top - End - #1297

Quote Originally Posted by Zemro Shivic View Post
    Centaur
    Interesting choice on saves, between the race itself and Hinterlands Survivor, I was expecting a good Fort here. Ref/Will seems kinda odd for a centaur.
    It's actually the saves of the base monster. I used that as a placeholder, working from the assumption that the Centaur's innate con bonus would help compensate for the lower Fort progression, and just figured I'd wait until someone commented on it before making a decision either way.

Hinterlands Courser is quite neat
    Thank you. It seemed bizarre to me that Centaurs were predominantly placed in Forests, but had their primary racial feature (movement speed) hampered by the terrain of such. Including rocky terrain and the like just helps fit in centaurs from other sources. I do like Guild Wars centaurs, from which I drew the picture (there's also this one), and they tend to crop up in deserts and snowy peaks.

Counting as being mounted is interesting, and so are the phantom ranks in ride. Might want to specify whether or not the centaur counts as a mount, and to what extent. Like, for example, for purposes of items such as Horseshoes of Speed/Zephyr.
    It might just be me, but I find the name 'Tromp and Trample' kind of unwieldy for a name, just find it as something odd to say during a game.
    To be a hundred percent honest, I feel the same way. That is, I don't like the name either, but honestly, not sure what to replace it with. I dug through the thesaurus for alternatives to trample, kick, hoof, stomp, stamp, etc, and didn't find anything that really fit. I'm open to suggestions, people.

Seems like it might have odd interaction if you want to overrun or trample (the feats and such) on a charge.
    I think I'm ok with how that works, conceptually.

Counting as being mounted benefits a ranged centaur very little from what my research turned up. Though overall this strikes me as a more melee oriented class with some ranged options.
    The primary benefit to ranged attackers is the innate movement speed. You can play the mongol and outpace opponents while filling them with arrows.

Hinterlands Survivor was unexpected as far as abilities go, absolutely destroys environmental effects/dangers. Like the desert heat dangers table from Sandstorm (not that is was hard to do so in the first place though).
    Yeah, this is one ability that was drawn from other sources than just the D&D Centaur, including the Guild Wars centaur. The concept is really that Centaurs are warriors of nature, penultimate hunters, and I wanted them to be able to thrive in a variety of environments to represent this. I like the mental image of Centaurs attacking during a storm, ambushing players as they navigate a mountainside or centaur nomads making hit and run attacks on a desert wasteland.

The 7HD ability seems like it might be odd to adjudicate.
    It seems clear to me. Could you perhaps give a situation where it would be hard to adjudicate? I'm open to further criticism on this point from others, as well.

Evaluating Seeker's Strike was a bit of a learning experience, never really looked at sundering rules before and found all sorts of neat little facts.
    Yeah, sunder is a funny little bird. You don't generally make much use of it, because you don't want to destroy your own soon-to-be-treasure, so trying to make an ability where you can sunder stuff without running into that problem was a tricky thing in and of itself.

So, no bonus from the spirited charge (or ride-by attack) feat if they picked it up?
    Nay. I didn't want to promote a heavily charge-based playstyle, because the innate bonus for lace and the like already sets that up very nicely.

Might want to specify that the bonus from felling shot be applied after effects like keen when being stacked. It gets rather ridiculous otherwise, especially at higher levels.

Under Ironshod advance, might it just be easier to say that the centuar can make on turn of up to 90° ? Or at least more straightforward in regards to turning limitations.
    Sure. I did find that clunky, but it's one of those things where I just couldn't come up with something better at any point I went back to it. The single 90 degree turn is something of a nerf, but it'll do until I come back to it in a few days/weeks/months and put something else in place.

I'm not sure I like the effect though, takes a bit extra adjudication to track relative BABs. And that can get you out of a lot of AoOs, bit better then the alternatives. The AC penalty is rather negligible, it's really just a free bonus to hit that gets you more attacks at your full BAB then you would be getting otherwise.
    Scrapped the to-hit bonus and AC penalty. Neither was necessary.

You could probably be a bit clearer with the 6HD ability. I'm not sure I like further reducing the 'downsides' to this ability, it's quite nice already.
    Well, keep in mind that with your HD progression of Ironshod Advance, you're getting a number of attacks against a set number of foes about on par with what a PC with full BAB is getting, or more attacks against a single foe, provided it's set up properly. More on the design intent of Ironshod Advance after.

12HD also had me confused initially, I understand it now but it could probably use some elaboration to clear it up. Meshes well with the 6HD advancement.

18HD definitely has me confused. I think I know what you mean by it, but I'm not really sure.
    Changing the wording.

Overall, it's a lot of benefits with very little downside. Terrain aside, it seems that using this ability will always be your best choice for a full-round action. Not much of a decision making process, just an easy choice to use as much as possible. The centuar's going to get a lot more attacks at his full BAB with this ability than he would be able to otherwise.
    Ok, so, design intent: As I want my Centaur abilities to be worth, say, a level of Swordsage, the overall goal here is to have an ability that's about on par with a stance or maneuver... and since you're trading away the versatility of having several maneuvers, I wanted it to be fairly reusable. So with Ironshod Advance, what you're really getting is the ability to cut down a horde of foes (making up to a half dozen attacks, quite possibly) or to maybe get an extra attack against a single foe (at 12HD) as compared to a full BAB attacker... which is fairly on par with a maneuver. If the DM so wishes, he can have foes anticipate the Centaur's attack and close ranks.

As far as decision making processes go, I think for the Centaur, it boils down to range vs. melee and prioritizing single dangerous targets (ie. the Erinyes) vs. multiple targets (ie. the lemures the Erinyes summoned plus the Erinyes). If you're mid level and safely at range, do you use Seeker's Strike for the sure thing with extra oomph or do you use Ironshod Advance to get potential multiple hits? That's how I interpret it. Hopefully taking away the to-hit bonus (with the AC penalty that counterbalanced it) will help make it more of a decision.

You only specify that the centaur gets a free attack, not whether it's ranged or melee, implying that he could use either. Intentional?
    More or less. Since you're making the attack against the foe you would've triggered the AoO from, you're quite likely provoking by moving through one of their adjacent spaces, meaning you're close and ranged weapons probably aren't the ideal thing to use.

Damn that centaur's going to have a huge quiver...
    Being four legged, bonus encumbrance allotment, yay!

Your note at the end, does that mean if a centaur pop invisibility and acquires sneak attack he could, say, deal that damage once to every target? That's definitely hands down better then other volley alternatives.
    He could. My assumption was that a Centaur would gravitate more towards Scout for Skirmish than anything else, but sneak attack works too, I guess.

I'd be willing to tone it down or strip away this benefit, but can't think of a way to do it that doesn't come across as really, really awkward.

Maybe just disallow precision based damage with Thin the Herd? Yeah. Gonna try this. Precision based damage removed. Feedback on this appreciated.

Do temporary hit points count for purposes of determining who's lower/higher?
    Sure.

I like the idea over all, same note as above, it'll be a lot more attacks at Full BAB then they could get any other way. As a standard action even, I'm not sure why I'd attack with a bow any other way was I to have enough targets.

I love the flavour, but I think this ability might be a bit much. Especially as you get into the higher levels it seems to me that using this ability is almost a non-choice. Grab a splitting bow, some con or hit point buffs to raise your HP and you'll just be going to town on any sort of group that wanders into your range with all those attacks at full BAB. Never mind if you get any extra standard actions...
    I'm okay with having a lot more attacks against a group of enemies than not. It's in line with the kind of damage one can output via. spells and many maneuvers. I'm also ok with it being a good finishing move to polish off a small group of already wounded enemies. What I have done is removed the ability to use Felling Shot with Thin the Herd so there's more decision making between the two. Quality vs. quantity.

Thank you kindly for the feedback. I did address some stuff I didn't quote. The overall changelog is:

Centaur Changes, March 14, 2011:
    • Changed save progression from Good Reflex/Will, Bad Fort to Good Fort/Reflex, Bad Will.
    • Clarified that the x4 skill points were granted at 1st only.
    • Clarified proficiencies to stress it gets no armor proficiencies.
    • Specified abilities as being (Ex).
    • Wilds Skirmisher now states the Centaur counts as being both a mounted rider and a mount at any time it would be beneficial (previously was just mounted rider). This now allows the centaur to wear horseshoes of speed and the like.
    • Clarified about ranged attacks and the effect of wind (or rain) to such. As of now, ranged attacks have reduced penalties only for the first range increment.
    • Seeker's Strike can no longer damage items with a higher enhancement bonus than the Centaur's own weapon.
    • Stated that the crit benefit of Felling Shot is applied after the Keen effects and the like.
    • Simplified Ironshod Advance, stating the Centaur may only make one turn during the movement, up to 90 degrees.
    • Ironshod Advance no longer grants +2 to hit and -1 AC, simplifying it some and making it a touch more balanced.
    • Changed wording of 12HD advancement of Ironshod Advance.
    • Expanded the wording of 18HD advancement of Ironshod Advance to hopefully make it clearer.
    • Clarified some wording on Thin the Herd, as it was ambiguous whether it referred to foes having less health than they did prior to having an arrow stuck in 'em or foes having less health than the Centaur (it was intended to be the latter).
    • Wording changed in Thin the Herd so the Centaur now picks a number of targets equal to his Dex mod. Less ambiguous about what happens when you have less shots than you have targets.
    • Thin the Herd no longer allows for precision based damage. (sneak attack, etc.)
    • Thin the Herd no longer works alongside Felling Shot.
    • Changed wording to stress that the choice at 9HD of Thin the Herd is made anytime you make the attack.
    • Ditto for 15HD.
    • Many thanks to Zemro Shivic for the feedback leading to all of the changes today.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-03-14 at 08:01 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1298

Daemon

Heh, here I figured that using precision damage with Thin The Herd was deliberate to put it on par with Greater Manyshot. Being a multitarget standard action with precision seems like a deliberate candy thrown to scouts. It has less single-target damage output than GMS but gives you respectable AoE damage. (I'm also sort of assuming that centaur into scout/ranger Swift Hunter is the default advancement path.)

9. - Top - End - #1299

Quote Originally Posted by Benly View Post
    Heh, here I figured that using precision damage with Thin The Herd was deliberate to put it on par with Greater Manyshot. Being a multitarget standard action with precision seems like a deliberate candy thrown to scouts. It has less single-target damage output than GMS but gives you respectable AoE damage. (I'm also sort of assuming that centaur into scout/ranger Swift Hunter is the default advancement path.)
    Semi-deliberate, but when it comes to stuff I don't have personal in-game experience with, I tend to err on the side of caution. I haven't really done the archer thing, so I played it safe and went with Zemro Shivic's suggestion. I'm open to arguments either way, though.

Gorgon, on IM, suggested that I remove the recently-added enhancement bonus requirement on Seeker's Strike, given Centaur is splitting WBL between melee & bow, and that items with enhancement bonuses are tough enough already. I'm swayed, but won't make the change right away, so it's something else one could chime in on.

In any event, Gorgon gave the a-ok to Centaur prior to Zemro Shivic's critique and said, to paraphrase, "other than seeker's strike enhancement bonus thingy, good changes" so I can assume it still has his thumbs up.

I'll wait for confirmation from him, the vote from Kyuubi and for feedback on changes made/not made before I add it to the list. After that, I'm putting up the Frostwind Virago, who wasn't even done when she broke the 50,000 character limit for posts.

Am currently (was in the middle of, before the centaur post came up) doing the batch critique that was so rudely interrupted on Saturday. Will be a little bit.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Barbarian in the Playground

I may be blind, but don't see ragewalker anywhere in the list of batch-critiques-whatever. Who will be the editor from now?
    My Homebrew
    5e - The Artificer (of Alancia)
    AGE of Darkness, converting World of Darkness to AGE
    Dungeons & Dark Souls, bringing the Souls universe to your 5e

My DMs Guild products

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    ...Could you give a brief description as to just what these "converted monsters" are? I'm going to assume that it's some guy who decided to convert all the monsters from 1st and 2nd edition D&D to 3rd/3.5: is this correct?
    Yeah, that's pretty much spot on. They've been converted by some guy named Scott Greene. Apparently he wrote a couple of third-party books for D&D.
    Mainly, I just want to know that if I were to make a Peltast or a Xaver or something, whether I should put it in here or the homebrew thread.

Also, I would like to call the Needlefolk, Susurrus, and the Orcwort, though they probably won't be done for a while.

12. - Top - End - #1302

As it's not official 3.5 material, I'd say homebrew section.

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scio View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty much spot on. They've been converted by some guy named Scott Greene. Apparently he wrote a couple of third-party books for D&D.
    Mainly, I just want to know that if I were to make a Peltast or a Xaver or something, whether I should put it in here or the homebrew thread.
    I'm going to call it homebrew. The idea of this project is to make monsters for official monsters that people are familiar with, and might want to play as, whereas the homebrew section is just for monstrous classes. While these all may be somewhat familiar monsters to some, for the most part they're the rejects.
    And, yeah, not official material.

14. - Top - End - #1304

Kinda making these short and sweet, but here we go:

Vivisector
    • Strongly recommend you make use of Psyborg's grammar/polish review service. He'll PM you a revised copy of your monster with grammar/spelling/format errors fixed.
    • I don't think Vivisector should get light armor proficiency. The base creature has natural armor (and a small deflection bonus).

Razor Boar
    • Scent: I suggest having something prior to the spoiler along the lines of "Scent is detailed here:"
    • Given that unstoppable is revealed to be a free action, it makes me wonder if there's problems or incongruencies that might arise. RAW, I could be a 10th level Razor Boar, get permanently petrified and twice a day therafter, get 10 rounds of freedom from the petrifaction effect. There's enough fluff in D&D background to support the notion of petrified creatures being free to think while their bodies are stone.

Aboleth
    • Strongly encourage you to take Psyborg up on his offer to review & fix up grammar/spelling/format issues through your post & send the revised version to you by PM.
    • Drowning Ooze: 1 foot thick? D&D, by and large, works in measures of 5 feet. What circumstances would cause one to be affected by the ooze with 5' radius where 1' radius wouldn't? Clarify.
    • "lose the ability to exist on land properly for the next minute." - kinda vague.

Phase Wasp

Chuul
    • I still think the stun is a bit much. Consider that you're, every time you hit with your claw, forcing a "save or you lose a turn". For creatures that are holding weapons or items, it's "save or you lose a turn and drop your weapon." Dropping a weapon means they either lose the weapon (and are severely gimped in combat) or they take an action/provoke an AoO for trying to retrieve it. To top it all off, they lose their dex bonus to AC and take a further -2 to AC, meaning they're pretty much dead if another ally can spare the time to attack them. I reiterate, it's too potent for how easy it is to apply, for your level (since it's a tacked-on-bonus to something you'd be doing anyways).

Hooded Pupil
    • Don't love the class feature name "Dead Master" as it implies something rather different. Perhaps "Tutelage of the Dark" or something?
    • Vampires Forms:
      • Good overall, but should probably outline what Gaseous Form does, as a player might not know where to go to look it up.
      • Needs something more at higher levels. Levels 11-20 aren't so hot.
    • Mummy's Wrappings:
      • Note that the standard for DR is to have DR equal to ½ one's HD. This is offering twice that. By 20th, you'll have 6 uses a day for 40 rounds each, or pretty much all the time you'll need in encounters.
    • Lich's Studies:
      • The problem with spellcasting is that, basically, it's the best class feature around. It's just so versatile and so powerful that there's really no reason to take anything else.
    • Stench of Death:
      • Sickening foes isn't that great, compared to spellcasting or superhigh DR.
      • Nauseating foes is better (though you'll rarely get people failing that horribly, given it's a fort save), but I think I'd reword it to say "...nauseated for one round and then sickened for 1d6+whatever thereafter."
    • Ghostly Essence: Pretty much ok. The actual incorporeality comes a bit late though, and then lasts a really long time when it does appear. Consider having the advancement speed up just a smidge.
    • Death Knight's Combat Training:
      • I don't like the ability name. "Death Knight's Combat Training" - It's clunky. Shorten it?
      • It's also kind of weak. A level of spellcasting is worlds above and beyond better than armor proficiencies and a fighter bonus feat.

Phantom
    • Just to clarify: If a phantom's equipment doesn't turn incorporeal, does that not mean the phantom is unable to move through walls while carrying stuff?
    • Incorporeal Jaunt is already ~really~ long in duration. Like, at 8HD, you're talking maybe a +6 to a +8 on your highest stat. That's 6-8 minutes, right? Except combat tends to last 1-4 rounds. So you're only really using up a miinute and a half worth in combat, leaving scads of time to spend incorporeal outside of combat. Getting to double it really doesn't make a huge difference, in this case.
    • Also, having the time limit doubled and then eliminated altogether just 2HD afterward is... startlingly fast. It feels like it should be more gradual than that... except that, again, I stress that the time is so long to start with that it hardly matters anyways.

Justice Archon
    • Quarry:
      • Good changes overall, but the "within 50" bit seems like it would be annoying to a DM. Demanding math, more or fairly exacting estimates and the like is just problematic. Like:
        DM: "You're about to get on the Roc's back to begin your 3 day journey to the Black Tower. Is there anything you want to do before you leave?"
        Justice Archon: "I will assess the distance to my quarry, the Black Empress."
        DM: "Oh, uh... let me see. *gets out calculator.*

1/2 an hour later...

DM: "You've just wrapped up your fight against the trio of Gray Peak Wyverns. Your roc mount is poisoned and even with the delay poison spell, it looks as though you may be forced walk the last leg of the journey."

Justice Archon: "How far is to my quarry, now?"

DM: "God damn it... let me see, you flew for two hours and so you went this far, but you went a little off course, so..."

etc, etc.
    • Shared Fate:
      • I'm afraid this is one ability I don't like that much. It's just... too prevalent. If we pretend there's a 50:50 success ratios on all saves, then any time there's a save or lose/die/fail/suck effect that includes the Justice Archon, there's a 25% chance the caster or originator of the ability is going to be affected. That, in a game which is driven by its save or ____ effects (especially at higher levels), is really, really, really powerful.
      • Perhaps limit it to once a day per 5 HD? With the ability not used up if the enemy makes their save?
      • Alternately, make it an effect that is pre-cast. Like, you affect an enemy with it, and then for any saving throw they demand of you thereafter, they have to save or be affected when you're affected.
    • I think, once that gets tackled, we should have Gorgon take a look, because it looks fairly good now.

Coure Eladrin
    • I'll direct Gorgon to this one.

Grick
    • High will save seems really weird for the Grick.
    • And bad reflex save?
    • Proficiencies: might be worth rewording to "The Grick is proficient only with its own natural weapons."
    • 4 tentacles with +Str each. This doesn't seem so bad at first, given the low damage of each, but it scales really fast. By which I mean that, well, if you've got 19 Str (18 to start +1 racial), you're dealing 5-9 damage per hit, with up to 4 hits on a full attack. So your full attack can potentially deal up to 36 damage at 1st level. This is a bit high, since even half that is probably going to wipe out any equivalent level enemies and you'll be pretty ridiculous in melee in the earliest levels.
    • State the tentacles are natural weapons?
    • You say 'initially medium sized', but the Grick, as I see it, doesn't get growth later. The 'initially' isn't needed.
    • The Grick's tentacles can be enchanted... why? It would make more sense for them to be treated as magical weapons with an enhancement bonus of +1 for every 4HD of the Grick, and only for the purposes of bypassing DR.
    • Gricks wielding weapons? I just don't see it. They're int 3, they're uncoordinated enough they can't use teamwork, yadda yadda. Besides, it just creates a whole lot of nightmares with gricks wielding 4 weapons from an early level.
    • A bonus to Hide equal to ½ its HD is enough, when in stony areas. Especially when you've already got Hide as a class skill.
    • "At 2nd level, Grick gains DR/- equal to ½ HD." - insert 'its' between ½ and HD.
    • Drag Them Off: Good concept, iffy execution. If the combat is really dangerous enough to warrant dragging off enemies, then spending a full turn just taking a double move probably isn't that useful to your group, even if you're bringing an enemy with.
    • Scent: A bit boring. I strongly recommend giving the Grick a custom ability tied to scent. For example, the Manticore gains bonus move speed and a pounce attack when it scents the wounded. The Minotaur can use scent to target enemies around corners with its Sudden Charge (that otherwise requires line of sight). The Troll can scent fires. Just something to make the scent a little more unique to the creature, ideally playing off the creature's role.
    • Chow Down: As with Drag Them Off, it's a good concept, iffy execution. The damage you're putting out is strictly less than you'd do with a tentacle full attack, and the healing is either redundant (you can do an equivalent job of healing yourself out of combat with a wand of vigor or a caster with the spell) or it's a poor use of time in an ongoing combat.
    • Ambush Predator: I dont like abilities that are restricted to certain environments. It makes for monsters like the Ranger - useful in niche scenarios (or against a given favored enemy) and distinctly less so in every other situation. Broaden it? No penalty to hide while moving full speed is probably fine on its own. Allow for scaling, perhaps allowing it to expand to include move silently?
    • I like element of surprise. I think, as a capstone, you need to give it just a bit more of an edge.
    • So all in all, I can see the concept, I can really see where you could take it, but I think it falls short in a lot of areas, and the mess of tentacle attacks at early levels just makes it more of a brute, when there's really room for it to be a real ambush based predator with the ability to separate lone foes from the group. You know what I find myself thinking of? The special infected in Left 4 Dead. They're not that tough on their own, but their ability to really mess with you if you're not skilled enough or if you don't have buddies to help makes them potentially devastating. I'd encourage something along those lines. Like:
      • Drag them Off: The Grick can move up to half its base land speed or climb speed, regardless of whether it is encumbered, grappling or masticating a foe. It doesn't need to make an opposed move check to move while grappling/masticating.
      • Masticate (replacing Chow Down): The Grick gains a bite attack. Further, it gains a special improved grab when attacking with just its bite. This doesn't lead into a grapple attack the foe, however, but segues into a Masticate attack, which is like grapple except the Grick chooses either Strength or Dexterity: It and its opponent each make opposed checks using that attribute instead of grapple checks. Further, any time the Grick delivers a bite attack as part of the Masticate attack (that is, in place of the typical unarmed strike), the Grick heals itself for the same amount.
      • Element of Surprise: The Grick always acts in a surprise round and gains a bonus to initiative checks equal to its Dexterity mod (in addition to that which is already applied). At 12HD, if there wouldn't be a surprise round, there is one anyways, during which only the Grick may act.

Assassin Vine
    • "Hey, just going to post this rough draft. Please critique. " -> please delete this line.
    • Wait, Scio. *checks list* Already have two monsters on the unfinished list (Ettercap & Grick) and this is the third. Can I ask that you please finish your previous two monsters before moving on to the next? Ettercap hasn't even made use of the last critique I gave it, IIRC (which is why it's not even included in this batch critique). Sorry - I just don't want to encourage people adding a ton to the workload.

Sharakim
    • Your table formatting is kind of off. Consider replacing your table tag with [Table=Head].
    • Also, I much prefer bolded names for class features over italicized ones, as it's so much more readable.
    • RAW, I get +2 to Strength and +1 to Int, or +2 to Int and +1 to Str. This is way too big a stat bonus when we stress de-emphasizing stat boosts at 1st level.
    • Int for Bluff and Diplomacy feels off. Like, I'm not entirely sold on it. Flavor text would help sell it.
    • Str mod for concentration, too.
    • Sucker Punch:
      • Have to say, I'm not a fan of per-encounter abilities.
      • What type of AC bonus is this?
      • What if the Sharakim is in combat with multiple enemies?
      • Define "currently in combat with the enemy" - melee range? On the same battlefield?
      • Define offensive action. Would laying down a grease spell count? Summoning a monster with the intent of having it attack the Sharakim at a later date? Or is it just attacks and maneuvers?
      • You state the Sharakim must make a bluff check but it's only later that you elaborate that it is opposed by a sense motive check (kind of a given, but might bear elaborating).
      • 10HD: Will save or be stunned... at what point? Against the initial, intentionally missed attack, or against the actual 'sucker punch' that happens if they fail to sense motive against the Sharakim?
      • Prone + Stunned... kind of a murderous combination for any melee to pull off once a combat. This bothers me much more than the save or die.
      • What does bother me, though, is the sheer number of saves and mechanics being leveraged here. You've got adjusted AC, bluff vs. sense motive, Sharakim's attack with any maneuvers/tricks/spells/initiator techniques added, adjusted to-hit, adjusted damage, will save, reflex save and fort save, all for one trick. That's a supreme pain in the arse.
      • All in all, I think it's too good a dip. Beguiler and Duskblade salivate at the full BAB + hueg stat bonuses with no loss of caster levels. Beguiler loves the skill changes, and both benefit a great deal from Sucker Punch. It doesn't help that bluff is really easy to stack (Glibness!) and that not every enemy has ranks in sense motive. There needs to be more give and take, because this is a lot better for dipping than many other monsters on the list.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-03-15 at 06:25 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Pixie in the Playground

Sorry about making so many "draft" monsters. I can't seem to find the critique that you're talking about. Could you please point it out to me?

16. - Top - End - #1306

I'm not sure what a 'draft' monster is.

As far as the Ettercap, looks like the feller sort of fell through the cracks. I initially skipped it because it hadn't been updated in such a long time (For over 15 pages of the thread), then skipped it repeatedly because it hadn't been updated since the last critique. It looks like you did get around to it on the 26th, though. Not 100% sure why I put it on the 'wasn't edited since last critique' list.

Ettercap
    • I think this is supposed to be a reinterpretation of an Ettercap. It's spooky and gives that aberration vibe, to be sure: http://i51.tinypic.com/2mgoap3.jpg - Just thought I'd share.
    • Class skills: Ride seems out of place. As does concentration.
    • Claw attacks: What kind of bonus to damage (½ Str mod? Str mod? 2x Str mod?)
    • The Web description kind of implies enemies don't get a reflex save as per the entangle spell. This needs clarification, as you might be intending not to emulate an entangle spell, but to emulate the entangled status effect.
    • The DC to escape webs should be the same as standard saving throws in this thread. That is, 10 + ½ HD + Ettercap {stat} mod.
    • Second level really kind of sucks. I mean, you're getting a very passive class feature that only has a 50% chance to work, which is very backloaded... so combat will probably be over by the time the worst of the poison hits. Topping it off, the poison scales badly, as it becomes less and less useful as you gain levels, since more and more enemies will have some form of immunity or resistance to it. It needs a bit more to sell it. Either a side effect or more reliability to it.
    • Spider Companion: I like it. The wording is confusing though. "An Ettercap's effective druid level is its HD-3, except at third level, when the Ettercap has an effective Druid Level of 1." - but you get this at third level, so why get into the 'except at third level' bit? I just can't figure out your meaning here.
    • Consider, rather than just referring to simulated druid levels, just copying the relevant text.
    • The 'instead of a normal animal companion progression, the monstrous spider can grow in size category' bit is a little confusing too. What does it keep (HD? BAB advancement? Stat bonuses?) and what does it lose, by taking this path? Again, would benefit from copying and editing the relevant text for your animal companion.
    • What happens if you take levels in ranger? Do you get another animal companion?

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

No suggestions for "Avatar of Destruction"? Oh, well, guess I'll keep wracking my brain on it until something comes up. I could post the rest of the class if that would be alright. Like I said before, everything is finished except for the capstone.
    Proud beta-tester for Pirates vs. Ninjas

Contributions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't have enough templates in your life? Let's Read the Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition!(Abandoned)

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In the employer/BBEG's mansion.

18. - Top - End - #1308

Quote Originally Posted by Makiru View Post
    No suggestions for "Avatar of Destruction"? Oh, well, guess I'll keep wracking my brain on it until something comes up. I could post the rest of the class if that would be alright. Like I said before, everything is finished except for the capstone.
    Would personally rather you only posted completed classes, but it's up to you.

Try throwing together a placeholder ability for the meantime, stress that you want to replace it in comments, and go with it?

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Ettin in the Playground

Phase Wasp: I think you might've missed the forest for the trees there, my friend. In other words: you did the grammar fixes, but not the actual class fixes that I suggested. I won't hold it against you, though, as it's the 2nd to last post.

Unbodied: See above link for my critique, which has not been responded to yet, as far as I'm aware.

Coure:
    Well, let's see here...
    Sleep: Hmmm... not sure I like this, making it maximum HD up to twice the Coure's. I'd do something more along the lines of equal to the Coure's HD plus the Coure's charisma modifier. Sleep is a potent effect.
    We have a standardized "Eladrin" ability, found under both the Ghaele and the Bralani. It should be gained at 2nd level.
    "Any such attacks made by the coure suffer a 20% miss chance."
    1st of all, one shouldn't be punished for leveling up. Second of all, just what attacks CAN a coure make while in this form? It's never specified.
    Also, the wording there seems to imply that it's only attacks made by the coure that are force effects, ghost touch, etc. that suffer a miss chance.
    Magic Circle Against Evil: Generally you don't want to give spells before an equivalent fullcaster could get them. That's a 3rd level spell right there. It'd probably be best to start at protection from evil, then give it out to a 5' radius at 3 HD, +5' every 3 HD thereafter. Something like that.
    Other than that? Talk about a rogue-type on crack. You've got all sorts of stealthy/infiltration abilities... and nothing else, really. That's generally not a good thing.

20. - Top - End - #1310

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    Sleep: Hmmm... not sure I like this, making it maximum HD up to twice the Coure's. I'd do something more along the lines of equal to the Coure's HD plus the Coure's charisma modifier. Sleep is a potent effect.
    The reason I chose double was so that it would be guaranteed to smoothly scale upwards, from 4 to 6 to 8 at 2-3-4. HD + Cha would be less for a low-Cha coure at level 3 than at the level before.

That said, the main reason I thought this was justified is that enemies with poor Will save scale up in HD much faster than in CR. Enemies with lower HD tend to be caster-types with nigh-unbreakable Will saves. The result is that this becomes very strong from 3-5 or so and settles back down after this. If, with that considered, you still think it's too much, we can probably figure something out.

We have a standardized "Eladrin" ability, found under both the Ghaele and the Bralani. It should be gained at 2nd level.
    I was under the impression that the existing Ghaele Eladrin monster class was depreciated and considered one of the most broken classes of the Oslecamo period, so I didn't use it as a point of standardization. Is this incorrect?

"Any such attacks made by the coure suffer a 20% miss chance."
    1st of all, one shouldn't be punished for leveling up. Second of all, just what attacks CAN a coure make while in this form? It's never specified.
    Also, the wording there seems to imply that it's only attacks made by the coure that are force effects, ghost touch, etc. that suffer a miss chance.
    It's not a punishment for leveling up, it's a side effect of using this specific active ability. The miss chance for the coure while insubstantial remains static until it is replaced by normal Incorporeal rules. As for what attacks can be made, the original creature can use all its normal abilities and attacks in this form. I will clarify that and the wording of which attacks suffer a miss chance - grammatically it's clear but I can see it being confusing on a quick read.

Magic Circle Against Evil: Generally you don't want to give spells before an equivalent fullcaster could get them. That's a 3rd level spell right there. It'd probably be best to start at protection from evil, then give it out to a 5' radius at 3 HD, +5' every 3 HD thereafter. Something like that.
    The duration is one-tenth that of the spell, making it a panic button rather than the long-duration buff the spell is normally used as. It can't be used the same way the spell is until some levels after the spell would normally be obtained. Given that it's a "panic button" ability, the area of effect seemed more suitable. I wouldn't mind reducing the radius at lower levels, though.

Other than that? Talk about a rogue-type on crack. You've got all sorts of stealthy/infiltration abilities... and nothing else, really. That's generally not a good thing.
    It gets size modifiers and the alternate form - both admittedly significant, but not exactly "all sorts of stealth abilities". The spell-likes are not generally stealth/infiltration abilities, either. It doesn't strike me as being massively more ninja during its class levels than, say, a whisper gnome rogue - certainly on the high end for sneaky types but not outside the realm of existing feasibility.
    Last edited by Benly; 2011-03-16 at 12:43 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1311

Kinda making these short and sweet, but here we go:

Vivisector
    • Strongly recommend you make use of Psyborg's grammar/polish review service. He'll PM you a revised copy of your monster with grammar/spelling/format errors fixed.
      Done so already. Mind you, if there are little things, it's because I went back and made slight edits.
    • I don't think Vivisector should get light armor proficiency. The base creature has natural armor (and a small deflection bonus).
      Go figure. Well, learning IS half the battle, and so is reading properly. Will rectify.

Aboleth
    • Strongly encourage you to take Psyborg up on his offer to review & fix up grammar/spelling/format issues through your post & send the revised version to you by PM.
      I shall ask him to do that when I feel the crunch is sorted out, but I don't think it's that ready.
    • Drowning Ooze: 1 foot thick? D&D, by and large, works in measures of 5 feet. What circumstances would cause one to be affected by the ooze with 5' radius where 1' radius wouldn't? Clarify.
    • "lose the ability to exist on land properly for the next minute." - kinda vague.
      No, i'm just being lazy/sloppy. I'll clarify.
    Replies in bold, as usual.
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2011-03-16 at 12:24 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1312

Frostwind Virago

Monster Class
    Monster Manual V

Class:
    Spoiler
    Show
    HD: D6

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|
    Special
    |
    Frostwind Powers

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Frostwind Virago Body, Caress of the Frozen, Frostwind Powers (Least)|

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Frostbite Touch I, Glamour|

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Faeriekind|

4th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    | Frigid Demesnes |

5th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Kiss of the Frozen|

6th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Frostwind Powers (Lesser)|

7th|
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Frostbite Touch II|

8th|
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Faeriekith|

9th|
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Embrace of the Frozen|

10th|
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Cold Hearted|

11th|
    +8
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Frostbite Touch III, Frostwind Powers (Greater)|

12th|
    +9
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |Faerieblood|

13th|
    +9
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |Cold Hearted II |

14th|
    +10
    |
    +4
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |Ardour of the Frozen|

15th|
    +11
    |
    +5
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |Faerie Noble|

16th|
    +12
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |Frostbite Touch IV, Frostwind Powers (Elite)|
    [/table]

Skill Points: (6 + Int modifier) per level, x4 at first level.
    Class Skills: The Frostwind Virago’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Any two, Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str).

Proficiencies: The Frostwind Virago is proficient with simple weapons and is not proficient with armor or shields.

Frostwind Virago Body: The Frostwind Virago loses all other racial bonuses and takes on the Fey type. She gains Fey traits, namely low light vision. Frostwind Viragos are medium sized creatures with a base land speed of 30', possessing two Frostbite Touches that operate as natural weapons delivering 1 + Cha modifier cold damage. Frostbite Touches are touch attacks, and cannot benefit from Power Attack. Frostwind Viragos have Natural Armor equal to their Con modifier.

A Frostwind Virago has her choice of two of the following as her starting languages: Auran, Common, Elven, Sylvan. Otherwise, she gets additional languages for a high Int score as normal.

Caress of the Frozen: Starting at first level the Frostwind Virago gains cold resistance equal to double her HD. She suffers no penalties for moving through heavy snow and is not dealt nonlethal damage nor is she fatigued by cold environments.

Frostwind Powers, Least: The Frostwind Virago gains access to spell like abilities that she can use at will. These spell like abilities, unless otherwise noted, are standard actions that provoke attacks of opportunity. They are able to be disrupted, cast defensively or warded against with spell resistance. Frostwind Powers have a caster level equal to the Frostwind Virago's class level. Given that they are not actual spells, feats or abilities (such as metamagic feats) that apply to spells do not apply to Frostwind Powers. Feats or abilities that affect spell like abilities (such as Quicken Spell-Like Ability) or abilities (such as Ability Focus) can benefit Frostwind Powers.

There are four grades of Frostwind Power; Least, Lesser, Greater and Elite, which become available at 1st, 6th, 11th and 16th levels. The Frostwind Virago gains new powers, chosen from available grades, with most levels in the class. At any level she learns a new power, the Frostwind Virago may replace an old power with another power of the same or lower grade.

Frostwind Powers are subject to arcane spell failure chance. For the purposes of meeting feat and prestige class prerequisites, Frostwind Powers count as being invocations or arcane spells of an equivalent level.

Powers are listed in greater detail here. Least Frostwind Powers are listed in brief here:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Boreal Whirlwind: The Frostwind Virago calls forth a whirlwind of snow and ice that grows each round. She may send it rushing forward in a straight line, whereupon it damages and disorients foes it passes over.

Capricious Winds: The Frostwind Virago bids the wind to impede the movement of a foe for each round she concentrates. The foe can attempt to break free of the effect, but if they fail, the Frostwind Virago can take advantage of their being off balance and send them flying.

Chill Metal: As the spell, but the effect is extended in cold climates.

Frozen Fabrication: The Frostwind Virago can take a handful of ice and fashion it into a common item. Weapons and ammunition so created deal cold damage but are fragile and uncomfortable to hold.

Glacial Blast: A cone shaped blast of ice water that chills foes and potentially fatigues or exhausts them. Covers the affected area in ice.

Icicles: The Frostwind Virago calls forth a number of massive icicles that manifest on the ceiling above and drop onto any foe passing beneath.

Manifest Ice: The Frostwind Virago creates a swathe of icy terrain, or uses a Stone Shape like effect that only affects ice and snow.

Seal of Ice: The Frostwind Virago creates a tracing of frost that highlights magic in the affected area and makes both the spell effects and incorporeal creatures solid and vulnerable to attack.

Sudden Snowstorm: As Obscuring Mist, but when the effect ends, the area is covered in snow.

Thief of Air: The Frostwind Virago steals the very air from an opponent's lungs.

Whispering Wind: The winds carry voices to the Frostwind Virago, regardless of distance or intervening materials. Further, she may send them out to scout and bring her back information in their cryptic manner.

Frostbite Touch I: At second level, the very touch of the Frostwind Virago's fingers sends patterns of frost dancing across the surface of metal and makes flesh turn hard and blue in the span of a heartbeat. Her Frostbite Touches now deliver 1d6 + Cha mod cold damage. Further, she gains the option of having her Frostbite Touches be treated as normal attacks rather than touch attacks. If she does so, she deals a bonus 1d6 slashing, piering or bludgeoning damage and adds her Str mod to damage, but loses any Cha mod bonus to damage as well as further effects of Frostbite Touch (as described in Frostbite Touch II, III and IV).

For the purposes of qualifying for feats or prestige classes, the Frostwind Virago's Frostbite Touch can be considered an Eldritch Blast of a Warlock with the same number of class levels as she has in Frostwind Virago.

Glamour: The Frostwind Virago, at second level, gains the protections innate to the Fey, shrouding herself in protective workings of glamour that only cold iron can reliably cut through. So long as she is unarmored or clad in light armor, she gains DR equal to ½ her HD, penetrated by cold iron.

Faeriekind: At third level the Frostwind Virago can use the glamour that is the heritage of the fey. Glamour is the forerunner of illusion magic and serves as the ultimate font of a fey's power. The Frostwind Virago may elect to be a Unbound Fey or a Fey of the Court. The Unbound Fey may use either Disguise Self or Silent Image once a day per 2HD (one or the other, not once a day each). The Unbound Fey gains Bluff (Cha) as a class skill and while she receives none of the advantages granted by the court, she is not restricted in word or deed, as described below.

The Frostwind Virago who follows the strictures of the Court gains the ability to, once a day per 2 HD, use one of the following augmented spell like abilities (one or the other, not once a day per 2HD each):
    • Disguise Self, but a creature that interacts with her only shakes the foundations of the effect, and doesn't get a will save until a round later, and only then if the Frostwind Virago is still present and visible. If she wishes, she may spend another use of her Glamour in the interim to preserve the effect without allowing the will save.
    • Silent Image, but the effect lasts 1d3 rounds after the Virago ceases concentrating. Again, a creature that interacts with it only shakes the foundations of the effect, and doesn't get a will save to disbelieve until a round later, and only then if the creature is still perceiving the illusion.

The Virago, however, is consequently bound by the laws of the Faerie Court, those selfsame laws that prevented infighting from destroying them a millenia ago. A Frostwind Virago may obscure the truth, mislead or sidestep a question, but may not lie outright. As an extension of this, any promise or bargain made by the Frostwind Virago is binding, and a breaking of that promise renders the Frostwind Virago forsworn for a fortnight and a day (15 days) per HD.

A Frostwind Virago that lies is unable to use her Faeriekind, Faeriekith, Faerieblood and Faerie Noble abilities for 48 hours and Fey, Elemental and Outsiders immediately recognize her as a betrayer of her word for the duration, each being a step more hostile towards her. For another 48 hours thereafter, the Frostwind Virago gains none of the special benefits for being a Fey of the Court. Following this period (96 hours total), the SLAs work as normal.

A forsworn Frostwind Virago receives the penalties described for lying, above, along with suffering a -2 penalty to saving throws against any ability, spell or effect used against her by Fey, Elemental or Outsider. These penalties do not end after 96 hours, however, and persist until the duration passes (15 days per HD), until she can fulfill her end of the promise or until she throws herself on the mercy of a Fey of higher station (typically a Fey of higher CR than her own HD) and then convince them (usually requiring a diplomacy check and/or a bargain) to grant her a task that she may perform in contrition. Given these consequences, most Fey of the Court are loathe to offer any promises or bargains that do not overwhelmingly benefit them.

Frigid Demesnes: Beginning at fourth level the Frostwind Virago affects the climate around her when using her Frostwind Powers. As she wields Frostwind Powers that create snow or ice or wind, the environment is chilled as cold fog and frigid air spread out from the affected area. There are eight stages of climate, and uses of most Frostwind Powers have a chance of lowering the local temperature by one step (ie. From comfortable to chilly, chilly to cold, see the table below) and blasting all opponents on the battlefield with chilled air. There is a 20% chance for Least Frostwind Powers, a 40% chance for Lesser Frostwind Powers, a 60% chance for Greater Frostwind Powers and a 100% chance for Elite Frostwind Powers to trigger the Frigid Demesnes effect. The descriptions of individual powers note whether that power offers the Frigid Demesnes benefit. The Frostwind Virago may suppress this power any time she uses an invocation.

Cold weather, over a set duration noted on the table below, deals nonlethal damage that cannot be recovered until the chilled individual gets somewhere where the temperature is at least comfortable. Each iteration of nonlethal damage allows a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + ½ Frostwind Virago HD + Frostwind Virago's Cha) to prevent the damage entirely. Those taking nonlethal damage from cold weather are beset with frostbite and/or hypothermia (treat as Fatigue, this does not stack with itself to create exhaustion, but does stack with other sources of fatigue) until such a time as the nonlethal damage is healed.

The individual stages of cold are as follows:
    {table=head]Environment is...|Temperature|Effect
    Severe Heat|> 120° F|See SRD.
    Very Hot|90 to 119° F|See SRD.
    Hot|85 to 89° F|No real effects, can't recover from heat damage.
    Comfortable|65 to 85° F|No effects
    Chilly|41 to 64° F|No real effects, but too cool to recover from cold damage.
    Cold|1 to 40° F|1d6 nonlethal every hour*
    Severe Cold|-19 to 0° F|1d6 nonlethal every 10 minutes.
    Extreme Cold|< -20° F|1d6 cold with no save, and 1d4 nonlethal every minute.**[/table]
    * - Those dressed for cold weather automatically pass all saves for cold weather, but not for colder temperatures.
    ** - Those in extreme cold weather who wear armor or are in direct contact with metal are also affected as if by a chill metal spell.

Every time the effect triggers, the local temperature drops by one step and every foe in area suffers 1d6 nonlethal damage for every step the temperature is below Comfortable. This is limited to a maximum of a one step drop below the current norm for every 3HD the Frostwind Virago has. Foes that are damaged by this are fatigued as though they had succumbed to the effects of the weather (described above). If the effect would trigger and the temperature is already Extreme, all foes in the area instead suffer 4d6 cold damage and are exhausted, with already exhausted foes becoming paralyzed for 1d3 rounds.

The Frostwind Virago, her allies and any creature that is resistant to cold are all immune to the nonlethal damage caused by cold weather.

The lowering of temperature takes effect in a 200' radius around the targeted location, traveling around corners and occupying the entirety of the area where air is free to circulate (a closet with a closed door would be safe until the door opened, but an adjacent room would be affected). The immediate damage affects all within line of sight to the target area.

In a closed area, such as a building, room or hallway, the temperature persists for 1 hour, at which point it warms up by one stage. Outdoors, the effect lasts for 10 minutes, after which point the cold air dissipates into the surrounding region.

Kiss of the Frozen: Beginning at fifth level the Frostwind Virago can grant a kiss to an ally, often a gentle pressing of her lips to their forehead, nose or snout, granting them a measure of protection from her powers. With this gesture, the Frostwind Virago may bestow a willing individual with half her cold resistance for 24 hours. The capricious Frostwind Virago may retract the granted benefits at any time as a swift action. When the effect ends, whether by the end of the duration or the whim of the Virago, the victim must save against any ongoing cold weather effects or suffer the consequences of a failed save immediately. Further, the individual takes double damage (both nonlethal and lethal) from cold and cold weather effects for one minute afterward.

Alternately, the Frostwind Virago may deliver a Kiss of the Frozen offensively against a target. This attack my only be made against a helpless or grappled target, and bestows the negative effect described above.

Frostwind Powers, Lesser: Starting at sixth level, the Frostwind Virago may select her Frostwind Powers from the list of Lesser Frostwind Powers, in addition to the list of Least Frostwind Powers. Lesser Frostwind Powers are noted here:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cold Snap: With a snap of her fingers, the Frostwind Virago causes all ice in her vicinity to shatter explosively, damaging foes nearby. Sufficiently frozen foes may shatter as well, to grisly effect.

Cresting Iceberg: The Frostwind Virago raises an iceberg from the soil. Foes too slow to react may have a limb trapped within the small glacier. She may also expand a pre-existing iceberg in size, potentially burying any foe who has failed to free themselves from earlier entrapment in a clear icy tomb.

Crystal Column: The Frostwind Virago summons a pillar of ice from a nearby surface. Used gently, it can raise an ally to safety, form a bridge or bar a path. Used violently, it can fling enemies into the air or slam them into a wall.

Frostflight: The Frostwind Virago gains the ability to fly.

Gelid Blade: The Frostwind Virago enchants a weapon to deal icy damage and be treated as a magic weapon. On a critical hit, it can deal massive Dexterity damage.

Hailing Volley: The Frostwind Virago releases a volley of icy spears that fills a target area, potentially dealing catastrophic damage (and potentially none). The area is littered with dangerous icy spikes thereafter.

Ice Sculpture: A sculpture of ice is given life with a drop of the Frostwind Virago's blood, acting as a summoned monster.

Mistral Attendant: Summon augmented Unseen Servants.

Roaring Squall: The Frostwind Virago summons or controlls a mischievous air spirit. Enemies touched by the spirit may be flung a distance and potentially knocked prone.

Zephyr: The Frostwind Virago enchants all nearby allies, herself included, with spirits of air that offer a minor boost to movement. These spirits may be extinguished to grant the user a few heartbeats of flight.

Frostbite Touch II: Starting at seventh level the Frostwind Virago can augment her Frostbite Touch with a numbing cold. The Virago may elect to deal a bonus 1d6 nonlethal damage with her Frostbite Touch, but the rest of the damage dealt becomes nonlethal damage as well. This damage is reduced by cold resistance.

Faeriekith: Upon reaching eighth level the Frostwind Virago gains the ability to use Charm Monster as an SLA, drawing from those selfsame uses of Glamour that power her Disguise Self and Silent Image SLAs.

If she elected for the Fey of the Court option in Glamour (see above) then she increases the DC for her Charm Monster by +4 and eliminates any bonus for being threatened by the Virago or her companions when casting it on any individual or creature that both knows her name and either vocally gives thanks or states they owes her a favor. If she is disguised or going by a different name, then the favor (or the thanking of the Frostwind Virago, which implies gratitude, or owing a favor) isn't truly directed at her and is insufficient for her to work her binding of their words to their deeds.

Finally, her Silent Image is replaced by a Major Image SLA. Major Image is unaffected by the Frostwind Virago's choice of being Unbound or Court.

Embrace of the Frozen: The ninth level Frostwind Virago augments her Frostwind Powers with flurries of snow and showers of tiny ice crystals that billow out from the affected area and batter foes in the surroundings. Anytime a Frostwind Power is used on an area or a target, or anytime a Frostwind Power creates something (be it a summoned creature or a terrain feature), every individual within the affected area suffers the Shivering condition for one round or until they leave the area. Shivering foes suffer a -2 penalty to attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks and ability checks. Environmentally, the effect obscures line of sight for one round, and all tiles within range are covered in snow. This effect may be suppressed as a free action.

Cold Hearted: Beginning at tenth level the Frostwind Virago is untouched by even the coldest climes. She becomes immune to cold. She has effective Cold Resistance 20 for the purpose of her Kiss of the Frozen ability.

Frostbite Touch III: Starting at eleventh level the Frostwind Virago improves her Frostbite Touch. Rather than simply add her Cha mod to damage dealt, she now she adds her Cha mod to damage done for every die of damage delivered by her Frostbite Touch. This bonus damage is of whatever type of damage the aforementioned die dealt (For example, Cha mod in cold damage for every d6 of cold damage dealt, Cha mod in nonlethal damage for every d6 of nonlethal damage dealt). Precision damage (such as that from Sneak Attack) is excepted from this.

She also gains the option of freezing swelled, bruised and stiff tissue solid. Foregoing damage entirely, the Virago may make a touch attack against a foe in melee range. By doing so, she can remove all nonlethal damage from that target and subsequently cause 1 point of Dexterity damage for every 3 points of nonlethal damage removed, rounding up. A foe brought to 0 Dexterity by this effect is frozen solid for 1 minute and is shattered to thousands of crystalline pieces the next time they take bludgeoning damage.

This conversion advances to 1 point of Dexterity damage for every 2 points of nonlethal damage removed at 15HD, and 1 point of Dexterity damage delivered for every 1 point of nonlethal damage removed at 20HD.

Frostwind Powers, Greater: Upon reaching eleventh level the Frostwind Virago may select her Frostwind Powers from the list of Greater Frostwind Powers, in addition to the lists of Least and Lesser Frostwind Powers. The Greater Frostwind Powers are:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avalanche: The Frostwind Virago creates a tide of ice and snow, smothering enemies.

Bloodrime: Exploiting a victim's bleeding wounds, the Frostwind Virago turns blood to ice, opening injuries. Used in a benign fashion, grants a creature the cold subtype.

Crosswinds: As Gust of Wind, but also spreads snow and hampers the maneuverability of flying creatures.

Cryokinesis: As Telekinesis, but works on ice, snow and frozen targets only. Can lift more than a Telekinesis user of the same caster level.

Snowdrift: A patch of snow becomes similar to quicksand, with entrapped creatures forced to scramble to climb out. Failure means being sucked beneath the snow and ice.

Snowflurry Step: The Frostwind Virago can teleport short distances, with an increasing risk of failure as the distance grows. Should she teleport to ice or snow, the risk of failure drastically reduces.

Faerieblood: At twelfth level, the Frostwind Virago can use Scrying and True Seeing as SLAs, each activated with two of the glamour uses that fuel her Major Image, Disguise Self and Charm Monster SLAs. Should she be a Faerie of the Court, she also gains the ability to use Bestow Curse by spending two uses of her Glamour, but only against an individual who has insulted her, attacked her or stolen from her three times, with her verbally marking the offense between each such event. Alternately, she may use Bestow Curse on an opponent against which she has thrice counted coup without the opponent doing the same to her. 'Coup' in this case marks an occasion where the Frostwind Virago has defeated, humiliated or markedly inconvenienced a foe and verbally marked the event (typically by mocking the foe, demanding they submit to her will or warning them). Most instances where the Frostwind Virago demands a saving throw or skill check of the enemy and the enemy fails will suffice.

Finally, her Disguise Self glamour is replaced by Seeming.

Cold Hearted II: Beginning at thirteenth level the Frostwind Virago can augment her Frostwind Powers and Frostbite Touch so they can penetrate the defenses of even other creatures who are immune to cold. Her attacks ignore cold resistance and deal half damage to creatures who are immune to cold. Further, affected creatures are stripped of their protections against the cold weather for one minute, with this duration being doubled every time the Frostwind Virago deals cold damage to them. (Two minutes for the second hit, four for the third, and so on).

Ardour of the Frozen: At fourteenth level the Frostwind Virago learns to draw in her foes with a Captivating Call. This requires a standard action and is a sonic, language based, mind affecting ability. The Frostwind Virago speaks in an imperious voice that echoes across the landscape. Every individual within a range of 300' must make a will save (DC 10 + ½ HD + Frostwind Virago's Cha) or become captivated. Captivated individuals walk toward the Frostwind Virago taking the most direct route possible. If that path is clearly dangerous, the affected may make another saving throw against the effect. Foes that reach the Frostwind Virago stop within 5' of her to bask in her radiance, taking no actions except to defend themselves. This lasts as long as the Frostwind Virago speaks and for 1d3 rounds thereafter. A bard's countersong counters this effect.

Faerie Noble: At fifteenth level, the Frostwind Virago counts herself among the more powerful of the fey, and acquires the ability to fashion accommodations befitting her status in the upper echelon of the Faerie. She may cast Mirage Arcana by spending four of the same uses that power her Scrying, True Seeing, Major Image, Seeming and Charm Monster SLAs. Further, so long as her Mirage Arcana persists and portrays an image of ice, snow or the like (including those as grand as a frozen tower, an ice-blasted archway, a snow-whipped clifftop) each step of cold weather generated by her Frozen Demesnes ability will persist for one day in the area. The Mirage Arcana effect will persist as long as the temperature remains below Comfortable.

For a Faerie of the Court, this Mirage Arcana becomes reality after a year and a day. This need not be one continuous use, but the effect is broken if a sentient creature other than the Frostwind Virago intrudes upon the area when the spell duration has lapsed or if a creature disbelieves it. Valuable goods (such as gold, gemstones, mithral) become ice if taken from an area where the Mirage Arcana became reality. A Faerie of the Court also gains the ability to Geas, rather than charm monster, a creature or individual that has broken a promise to her or betrayed a bargain, casting the effect with a one-round casting time.

Frostbite Touch IV: At sixteenth level, the Frostwind Virago's touch is devastating, passing through flesh as though it were barely there, her fingertips brushing past frozen flesh, crystals of frozen flesh spraying off in their wake. Her Frozen Touch deals an additional 1d6 cold (+Cha mod, as described in Frostbite Touch III) damage. As detailed in Frostbite Touch II, above, she may also elect to deal 3d6 nonlethal damage, with her Cha mod in bonus nonlethal damage for every d6 of damage done. Precision damage is still excepted from this.

Frostwind Powers, Elite: Upon reaching sixteenth level the Frostwind Virago may select her Frostwind Powers from the list of Elite Frostwind Powers, in addition to the lists of Least and Lesser and Greater Frostwind Powers. The Elite Frostwind Powers are:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Crack the Ice: The Frostwind Virago creates a pool of ice that serves as a portal to the Faerie/Feywilds/Fair Court. Foes may be dragged in by the water or dragged under, and suffer Strength and Constitution damage. Those caught beneath when the portal closes are trapped in another plane.

Mindnumbing Aura: Foes near the Frostwind Virago are forced to delay their actions as the cold saps their initiative and energy.

North Wind: A powerful and wide ranging blast of windstorm-level wind that extends her Frozen Demesnes ability over a landscape and is especially effective at chilling larger foes.

Still of Winter: The Frostwind Virago stills the frozen air, causing foes to be Stilled, an effect similar to but more deleterious than being Slowed. Those who are not stilled are nonetheless Slowed as the third level spell.

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not especially well polished as I post this, but for a monster as extensive as the Frostwind Virago, it's hard to polish on my own. Split into two posts, as the Frostwind Power ability descriptions were lengthy enough to warrant a post of their own (I exceeded the 50k character limit).

Ok, so the Frostwind Virago is a fey based around ice and cold. I went out of my way to emphasize Fey aspects, as I think the Faerie are really done a disservice in D&D. There's so much rich lore in Fantasy for the Fair Folk and D&D barely does anything with that. However, as much as I wanted to emphasize that bargaining and the whole 'you don't screw with the Fey', I left an avenue to avoid it should DMs feel it would detract from the quality of the game. So you get a choice of the Unbound Fey (unchanged) and the Fey of the Court, which emphasizes deals, fairness, and exploiting those who give you an opening.

As far as actual powers go, the Frostwind Virago is very similar to the Warlock. That said, she's very much a battlefield controller, and this is emphasized by her Frigid Demesnes and Embrace of the Frozen abilities, which give an added depth to her invocation Frostwind Power use. I named them Frostwind Powers rather than invocations, by the by, to avoid situations like what cropped up with Dragonfire Adept and Warlock, where the invocations of the two were interpreted by some as being more or less interchangeable.

I do think the Frostwind Virago is powerful, even if her Frostbite Touch is less of a big deal to her than the Eldritch Blast is to the Warlock. So yeah, she's more powerful than the Warlock, but since the goal is a Tier 2-3 individual and the Warlock is low-Tier-4ish, I'm okay with that. On top of her invocations having the augmentations of Frigid Demesnes and Embrace of the Frozen, they're aimed at being a little more versatile overall. The overall lists are shorter, though (no eldritch essence invocations and 25% less invocations at each stage), so that keeps things a touch more sane.

All in all, a battlefield controller with some Fey-suited SLAs to fall back on, a cold theme and a little more meat on her mechanical bones than her Warlock cousin.

Changelog
    Spoiler
    Show
    April 18, 2011:
    • Frostwind Virago:
      • Added Frostwind Virago Body to the table under 1st level. Was absent.
      • For the purposes of meeting feat and prestige class prerequisites, Frostwind Powers count as being invocations and spells of an equivalent level.
      • Ditto for Frostbite Touch being considered an Eldritch Blast.
      • Frigid Demesnes tweaked. It now allows no saving throw (less rolls and a bit of a boost in power) and the nonlethal damage is equal to the number of steps below comfortable, with an extreme effect (cold damage and exhaustion/paralysis) if it would drop the temperature below Extreme. Text about the range and scope of the effect clarified, the Frostwind Virago gets the option of not activating Frigid Demesnes and the effect overall has been made more concise and easy to apply.
      • Kiss of the Frozen simplified. It no longer affects a maximum 1 ally per hour, and the penalty to the Frostwind Virago has been removed. An offensive option has been added, allowing the Frostwind Virago to curse a helpless or grappled foe, causing them to suffer double cold and nonlethal damage.
      • Embrace of the Frozen: Renamed Shaken to Shivering, which is essentially the same thing except not a morale effect and it doesn't graduate to fear/panic, etc.
      • Embrace of the Frozen: Noted that the snow clouds it creates obscure line of sight. This makes its use a little more tactical/strategic-based, as the Frostwind Virago can obscure line of sight for herself or her allies (as well as foes).
      • Noted under Frostbite Touch I that the physical damage option precludes use of other augmentations, to avoid some unintended interactions.
      • Moved the 'you can convert nonlethal damage to Dexterity damage' option from Frostbite Touch II to Frostbite Touch III, which was otherwise a little dry (Frostbite Touch II has a tactical depth to it, while III was just flat passive gain). Added a progression so that, at 15HD, the conversion is 1 Dexterity damage for every 2 points of nonlethal damage removed, and at 20HD, it becomes 1:1.
      • Clarified Faerie Noble's Mirage Arcana effect to make it more flexible. If she's depicting snow, ice or a frozen structure, it extends the duration of cold weather, and cold weather, in turn, prevents the Mirage Arcana from ending so long as it lasts. This makes it easier to maintain the effect.
      • Also added a bit under the 'making it permanent' section for Faerie of the Court; you can let the effect lapse, but if a creature intrudes on the area before it does lapse or if someone disbelieves it, you lose your progress.
      • Added a link to the Frostwind Powers post under Frostwind Powers (Least).
    • Frostwind Powers:
      • Finished sentence under Boreal Whirlwind. Foes moving into the whirlwind are damaged and disoriented as though they had been struck by the moving version.
      • Capricious Winds now imposes a penalty on ranged attacks (double penalty for ranged weapons).
      • Specified that items created with Frozen Fabrication must be rigid, and gave an example.
      • Clarified that the Icicles invocation requires a ranged touch attack roll, rather than 'just her BAB'
      • Many clarifications made to Seal of Ice, essentially specifying what spells can be affected and how, adding durations and clarification on how the spells are made visible (essentially clarifying that it's like everyone had detect magic for the purposes of viewing the spell.
      • Changed Cold Snap so it deals damage once for every square that has ice in it. No 100's of marbles exploding for 1000d6+ damage.
      • Made a note at the top of the list that all saves are cha based, yadda yadda, and removed the repetitive mention of Save DCs, except where funny stuff happened (such as where it was the DC for a strength check)
      • Changed Frostflight from offering a fly speed of 10' per 3HD to 10' per 2HD.
      • Hailing Volley: upped the damage from 1d6 piercing/cold per HD to 1d6 piercing per HD and 1d6 cold per HD.
      • Ice Sculpture now only fatigues/exhausts if the Frostwind Virago already has a monster summoned with it.
      • Clarified text in Roaring Squall to specify that the squall is a small creature for the purposes of attacks of opportunity.
      • Zephyr now, in addition to being able to be spent for temporary flight, grants you another two options - a bonus to AC against ranged attacks or a bonus to an attack roll against a flying enemy.
      • Added another qualifier to Cryokinesi, so anyone affected by one of the Frostwind Virago's powers (SLA or Frostwind Power) also qualifies to be thrown around.
      • Mistral Attendant is now a Lesser Frostwind Power, and scales up more gradually in how many unseen servants you can have (From a flat maximum of 3 to 1 per 6HD)
      • Made it so that Snowflurry Step doesn't count the first 5' of movement (to avoid having it be limited to an awkward distance of 90' or 95'). The chance is now halved again if both the starting and destination square are covered in snow or ice (to 2.5% per 5' moved).
      • Avalanche is moved from Elite Frostwind Power to Greater. I'm not changing the line of effect (which draws from enemy to snow) because the reverse option is overly confusing, suggesting one should draw a line for every instance of snow, which would be incredibly time consuming. It's a check, more than anything. I added a bit to one sentence to clarify such.
      • Added Still of Winter to make up for the absence of Avalanche. This is a targeted burst effect that slaps an augmented Slow effect onto all foes in the area. All actions made by Stilled foes are one step more difficult to make (Move actions are now standard, standard actions are full-round, and so on).
      • Replaced Crack the Ice with a new effect. It now lets the Frostwind Virago crack the ice/snow and create a pool of icy water. Being submerged causes Str and Cold damage.

When this pool is created, there's a blast of water. Both the blast & submersion involving being sucked down: If you're caught in the blast, you're sucked down. If you fail the reflex save, you're sucked down further. If you fail the Swim/Strength check, you're sucked down even more. Topping it off, since it's a portal to a (cold and watery) realm of the Faerie/Feywilds, if you're still beneath when the effect ends, you're not going to be sleeping in your own bed anytime soon (if you can even get out).

Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-04-18 at 01:49 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1313

Frostwind Powers

A Monster Class Supplement for the Frostwind Virago

Frostwind Powers:

Unless otherwise stated, Frostwind Powers require a standard action and have a range of 25' plus an additional 5' per caster level. All saves have a DC of 10 + ½ the Frostwind Virago's HD + the Frostwind Virago's Cha modifier.

Least:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Boreal Whirlwind
    Least, 2nd
    Frigid Demesnes: Yes. (20%)
    Embrace of the Frozen: Yes, all tiles in whirlwind's space and all tiles passed over.
    A breath of fogged air passes from the Frostwind Virago's lips, but it does not fade. Turning over and around itself, the stirring of the air builds in size, swiftness and intensity. Within a matter of moments, there is a small whirlwind of snow at the Frostwind Virago's side, growing steadily. With but a gesture, it is instructed to rush towards the enemy, momentarily disorienting foes as it twists through, under and around them.

The Virago fashions a Boreal Whirlwind with a standard action, with the Whirlwind appearing in an empty, adjacent 5' square. Initially tiny, the Boreal Whirlwind grows one size category at the end of each of her turns, including the turn she creates it. The Boreal Whirlwind reaches a maximum size of medium, with the possibility of being another size category larger for every 4HD the Frostwind Virago has (maximum Colossal). A Boreal Whirlwind that cannot grow any more will automatically move as described below. Though it occupies space appropriate for a creature of its size, the Boreal Whirlwind has no hp, HD or other statistics and cannot be attacked.

As a swift action, the Frostwind Virago may send a Boreal Whirlwind of at least small size traveling in a straight line for 20' per caster level. For each foe it passes over as it travels, the Boreal Whirlwind deals 1d6 cold damage for every two HD of the Frostwind Virago. Further, provided the Boreal Whirlwind is of the same size or larger than the affected target, the winds turn the foes around and disorient them, forcing them reroll their initiative, taking the new result if it is lower than their old one. Foes who attempt to enter the Whirlwind before it begins moving take the damage and are potentially disoriented, as though they had been struck by the moving whirlwind.

The Boreal Whirlwind covers every tile it hovers over or passes over in deep snow, which is difficult terrain.

Capricious Winds
    Least, 1st
    Embrace of the Frozen: Yes, target only, until target breaks free or concentration ceases.
    The Frostwind Virago concentrates on a foe, and the wind turns against them. The wind tugs at their clothing, blows hair into their face and makes every step they take, no matter how quickly they change direction, a step headlong into freezing, strong winds.

The Frostwind Virago designates a target and concentrates on them. For as long as she concentrates, that foe can't 5' step and loses 5' from their base land speed. This difficulty in movement accumulates at the start of each of the Frostwind Virago's turns, with the movement reduction increasing by 5' each time, to a minimum movement speed of 5'. Flying foes suffer a 10' cumulative loss in fly speed at the start of the effect and at the start of each of the Frostwind Virago's turns, to a minimum fly speed of 0'. Finally, affected foes suffer twice the penalties for firing their ranged weapons at any range increment beyond the first.

If the foe wishes to end the effect, he or she may elect to make a Strength check, opposed by the Virago's Charisma check, to wrest themselves free from the snaring and countering winds. This is a standard action. If the foe succeeds in beating the Frostwind Virago's Charisma check with his or her Strength check, the effect ends. If the foe fails, however, the Virago has the option of letting the effect persist or sending that foe flying in a straight line. The foe flies 5' for every two points the Virago beat their Strength check result, taking falling damage appropriate to the total distance they would have traveled if they collide with something en route. Any individual the foe would collide with is may make a Reflex save to dodge. Failing to dodge the flying victim means the bystander takes the same falling damage as the victim.

The Frostwind Virago gets a +1 on her Charisma check for every step the temperature is lower than comfortable (see Frigid Demesnes, above, for stages of temperature).

Chill Metal
    Least, 2nd
    Frigid Demesnes: No.
    Embrace of the Frozen: Yes, target only, until item is dropped or discarded.
    As though she were blowing a kiss, the Frostwind Virago sends a scattering of snowflakes across the battlefield. Landing atop a weapon or a plate of armor, the snowflakes sink in, and the metal turns white with frost, creaking at the sudden change in temperature. Those bearing the metal objects on their person stagger as they feel the cold being absorbed by their bodies.

As Chill Metal, but for every step the weather is colder than comfortable, the duration of the Freezing stage is extended by one round.

Frozen Fabrication

Least, 2nd
    Embrace of the Frozen: No.
    After manifesting a large chunk of ice in her grasp, the Frostwind Virago flicks her wrist and the chunk of ice snaps into the shape of a common object, complete with engravings and fine detail. Those touching the item are liable to wince at the chill of the material it is fabricated from.

The Frostwind Virago can, as a full-round action, create any common object with a shop price of up to 10 gp per caster level out of pure ice. The created object must be solid, rigid and nonmagical, and no special properties granted by material are applied. As such, one could not create an adamantium dagger, nor an alchemical item such as a tindertwig. The Frostwind Virago could not create a rope, as it is not rigid, but she could create a chain. Created weapons and ammunition are fragile and break on a natural 1 or 2 on an attack roll, but deal 1d6 nonmagical cold damage in addition to standard damage dealt. Each round after the first that one holds the item, individuals lacking cold resistance suffer 1d6 nonlethal damage and are fatigued (this fatigue does not stack with itself to cause exhaustion) as the cold numbs. Items created with Frozen Fabrication have 0 hardness and 3 hp per pound (minimum 1). If there's ice or snow within 5' of the Frostwind Virago, this Frostwind Power requires only a standard action to use.

Glacial Blast
    Least, 2nd
    Embrace of the Frozen: Yes, area affected by cone.
    Extending her arm, the Frostwind Virago releases a sudden blast of slush, sleet and freezing water from her palm to drench and freeze her foes and their surroundings.

Glacial Blast takes the form of a 15' cone, with 5' additional range for every 4HD of the Frostwind Virago. All foes within the area take 1d6 damage per HD of the Frostwind Virago, half of which is cold and half of which is nonlethal. Foes taking damage are fatigued, and already fatigued foes are exhausted. Affected targets within 5' of any vertically ascending terrain that fills a 5' space (such as a wall, tree trunk or large rock) are also entangled for one round.

Foes are entitled to a Reflex save to avoid the damage, the fatigue/exhaustion and the entanglement.

Finally, the affected area, terrain and creatures failing the Reflex save are covered in a sheet of ice. Creatures so covered in ice suffer no particular deleterious effects, beyond being vulnerable to several of the Frostwind Virago's powers, but the terrain becomes difficult terrain, with any creature standing on it suffering a +5 increased DC for any Tumble or Balance checks. Unattended items left on the ground before the Glacial Blast are trapped beneath the ice.

Icicles
    Least, 1st
    Embrace of the Frozen: Yes, struck area and squares within 5' of struck area.
    Drawing her fingertips together as she lowers her hand, the Frostwind Virago bids massive icicles to form and loom overhead. Should an unwary foe step too close, the icicle drops like the proverbial Sword of Damocles.

The Frostwind Virago creates 2d4 medium sized icicles, with an additional icicle for every three HD she has, placing each within 60' of herself, but with no icicle placed within 15' of another. Should a foe pass beneath an icicle (foes starting their turn beneath an icicle will not prompt it to drop), that icicle drops and the Frostwind Virago makes a ranged touch attack roll. On a hit, the icicle deals 1d6 piercing/cold damage for every 3HD of the Frostwind Virago. The icicle deals quadruple damage should she roll a natural 20 on the attack roll.

Further, should she hit the target with the icicle, that target may make no further movement or actions that turn and the foe must make his or her choice of a balance or tumble check (DC 10 + ½ Frostwind Virago's HD + Frostwind Virago's Cha) or be knocked prone.

Manifest Ice
    Least, 1st
    Embrace of the Frozen: Yes, all affected spaces.
    Sweeping her arm, the Frostwind Virago bids ice to appear and spread over a target area.

As the 1st level spell Grease, only the Frostwind Virago covers a total number of 5' squares equal to 1+ her HD or her Cha mod, whichever is less. The affected squares must all be connected. The squares are considered to be covered in ice for the purposes of her Frostwind Powers and class features. Further, she gains the ability to cast Stone Shape, but the effect is restricted to snow and ice rather than stone.

Seal of Ice
    Least, 1st
    Embrace of the Frozen: Yes, affected foes only for as long as the effect lasts.
    Frost spreads from the Frostwind Virago's feet and fingertips, covering a surface. Where the frost encounters traces of magic, it outlines the magic, revealing prominent diagrams and runes that glow with energy, locking them into place. The ethereal and astral is given form, and both enchantments and insubstantial creatures who are so touched by this Seal may be broken with blades.

Seal of Ice covers a 5' square for every HD of the Frostwind Virago. All affected squares affected with a given casting of Seal of Ice must be connected to one another and must fall within a range of 25' plus 5' per HD of the Frostwind Virago.

Within the affected area, all enchantments or spell effects present in the area are made explicitly visible to all present as though they all had the benefit of a Detect Magic spell on them, as tracings of frost outline the magical diagrams and runes that define the spell at work (Alternately, it takes an appearance similar to the aurora borealis, marking the raw magical energies at work). The colors, ranging from white to blue to pale green and purple, make it possible to identify the school of magic at work, while the intensity of the glow makes the general power level of the effect clear. Once the Seal has been cast, it remains for a number of rounds equal to half the Frostwind Virago's HD (rounding up), but the effects persist on all affected spells for a number of rounds equal to the Frostwind Virago's HD, marking them and making them vulnerable to being shattered (see below).

A given spell effect may be targeted with an attack, potentially shattering it. Shattering a spell effect in this manner requires an attack roll against an AC of 11 + the spell's caster level + the ability modifier for caster's spellcasting attribute. If successful, any ongoing spell effect is dispelled. The attack roll must also surpass the AC of any summoned creatures and other spell effects with an armor class (such as summoned creatures). Consequences from spells with an instantaneous duration and ongoing effects (such as the blaze created by a fireball) cannot be dispelled with Seal of Ice as they are not technically magical effects.

An incorporeal creature that attempts to pass through the Seal of Ice fails to do so and is forced into the nearest open space. For 1d3 rounds thereafter, the incorporeal creature loses the benefits of corporeality, as the frost takes root in them to give them a physical body.

Sudden Snowstorm
    Least, 2nd
    Embrace of the Frozen: Yes, within affected area throughout & 1 round afterwards.
    The Frostwind Virago summons a violent swirl of snowflakes, clouds and twisting winds that obscures vision for any onlookers. As the effect dissipates, the snow settles, leaving the ground beneath covered in deep snow.

The Virago summons a snowstorm over a 20' radius at a target location. This operates as Obscuring Mist for all intents and purposes, but when the effect fades it leaves the area beneath it covered in snow, which should be treated as difficult terrain. The Frostwind Virago may end the effect prematurely as a swift action.

Thief of Air
    Least, 2nd
    Embrace of the Frozen: Yes, victim only, until the effect ends or the Frostwind Virago ceases concentrating.
    The Frostwind Virago bids the air in her victim's lungs to come to her, gathering it up in her palm as an orb of swirling air and wind. The victim finds their lungs a vacuum, devoid of breath, with only a chill void to fill them. Even as their lungs lurch and heave for breath, the victim finds each breath stolen from them before it can give sustenance.

The Virago draws the air from a target's lungs and gathers it in her grasp. Subjects get a Fortitude save, with failure meaning they are effectively silenced for the purposes of using their voice and they begin to suffocate. To end the suffocation effect, the victim or one of their allies must successfully attack the Frostwind Virago to free the air to return to the victim - Dealing damage equal to 10% of the Frostwind Virago's maximum hitpoints forces her to release the air. Failing that, the victim must take a full round action followed by a Fortitude save (same DC as above) to draw in a full lungful of air and hold onto it before it can escape, which interrupts and ends the Frostwind Power's effect.

Whispering Wind
    Least, 1st
    The most minor elementals of air, those that carry voices and direct the currents of the air, are obedient to the will of the Frostwind Virago. They obediently carry sounds to her as whispers and echoes.

The most minor elementals of air, those that carry voices and direct the currents of the air, are obedient to the will of the Virago. The DC for her Listen checks is not modified by distance or intervening objects so long as she knows what she is listening for, as the least elementals loyally carry the sound to her. Alternately, she may command the least elementals to scout for her. In the doing, she loses the benefit of this Frostwind Power for 1d4 minutes, but as the elementals return, she hears whispers of goings on in the vicinity, as a general jumble of replies. The elementals are typically native to a particular area, and can thus make note of something new, strange or changing about the area, while others share details about the surroundings that concern the spirits of air. Given the limited capacity of these least elementals of air, the whisperings tend to be more cryptic than specific:
    • An figure unfamiliar to the area is following the Frostwind Virago: "Misssstresss, he follows, he follows, the blade sings as he unsheathes it, unsheathes it."
    • A meteor struck not far away, a few days ago: "It fell, big and loud, and we danced with the smoke we did, and ran with the booming sounds for miles and miles"
    • There's a pit trap nearby that a number have fallen victim to: "The screaming spot is near. Funny, funny, the noises they make when they dip, slip and fall."

Successive attempts at sending the Whispering Winds out to scout are unlikely to provide more detailed information - they might expand or reword something they said previously, but it is just as likely they will seize on a word game or a particular phrase and repeat it ad infinitum (For example, to use the examples on the list above, it might be simply "He follows, he follows, he follows", "The smoke danced and twirled and spun with us" or "They dip and slip they do", respectively).

Lesser:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cold Snap
    Lesser, 4th
    Frigid Demesnes: Yes, but only if 5 or more squares/objects/creatures detonate. (40%)
    Embrace of the Frozen: Yes, all areas falling within blast radius.
    With a snap of her fingers, the Frostwind Virago makes the ice around her explode violently, slivers of ice becoming shrapel and the frozen flesh of her enemies breaking into tens of thousands of crimson, crystalline shards.

The Frostwind Virago makes every instance of ice in the area explode violently. Each square containing icy terrain, icy ground, an icy item or a creature fabricated from ice explodes, dealing damage in their space and in a 5' radius around them. Each such exploding square delivers 1d6 slashing/piercing damage for every 3HD of the Frostwind Virago to all within the blast. They may make a Reflex save (DC 10 + ½ Frostwind Virago HD + Frostwind Virago Cha) for half damage and to avoid being blinded for 1 hour. The blindness may be cured with a DC 10 heal check, or rubbed out with a full round action that deals 1d6 slashing damage and has only a 25% chance to work. Creatures of living ice that are caught by the Cold Snap get a Fortitude save (same DC as above) to negate the damage, but they take double damage if they fail (regardless of whether or not they attempt the save or not).

Cresting Iceberg
    Lesser, 4th
    Frigid Demesnes: Yes (40%)
    Embrace of the Frozen: Yes, area within 5' of iceberg after creation/growth.
    Palm upward, the Frostwind Virago raises her arm, bidding an iceberg to ascend from the frosted ground, or building upon an existing glacier. Foes in the affected area risk being having a limb caught within, or worse, being trapped within as it forms.

The Frostwind Virago calls forth an iceberg in a 10' by 10' square within 25' + 5' per HD. The entire area of the iceberg need not fall within the range. Foes within the affected area must make a Reflex save or be immobilized as a leg or foot is caught in the ice. Creatures gain a +2 to their save if at least half of their space is outside the affected area, and a -2 if the growing iceberg completely encompasses their space.

Affected foes may free themselves with a Strength check or by breaking each 5' square of ice that encroaches on their space. Ice has no hardness and each square has a number of hitpoints equal to 20 or twice the Frostwind Virago's HD, whichever is more. Ice takes half again as much damage from bludgeoning weapons and double damage from fire. Cold damage dealt to ice repairs it.

The Frostwind Virago may also expand an existing iceberg or structure made of ice, extending its covered space by 5' in two directions. A 10' by 10' iceberg, for example, could become 15' by 15' or 10' by 20'. Creatures who fall at least partially within the space are potentially immobilized, in the same manner as described above. Already immobilized creatures risk being buried, being entitled to their choice of another Fortitude save or a Strength check as described above (DC 10 + ½ Frostwind Virago HD + Frostwind Virago's Cha modifier for both), as the ice covers them. Failure to save or make the Strength check results in the target being completely smothered in ice. They can take no actions beyond a Strength check to free themselves (see DC, above) at a -4 penalty, they begin suffocating as though they were underwater and they take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage a round from the cold (the last of which is reduced by cold resistance and prevented entirely by cold immunity).

Crystal Column

Lesser, 4th
    Frigid Demesnes: Yes. (40%)
    Embrace of the Frozen: Yes. Violent use only, all squares within 5' of Column.
    Raising both arms above her head, the Frostwind Virago directs a pillar of ice to spear out of a nearby surface, three times the height of a grown man and twice as wide across.

The Frostwind Virago creates a pillar 5' across, with a height of 5' per HD of the Frostwind Virago. (5' tall with a length of 5' per HD of the Frostwind Virago), originating from (and fixed to) one solid surface, such as stone, solid earth or ice. The Crystal Column may be used in two ways. The first is a gentle appearance, taking a full six to ten seconds to rise to its full height. Creatures atop the column must make a DC 10 balance check to stay on top (helpless creatures fail automatically).

The second method is a more violent one, as the Crystal Column lunges out of the ground or wall, either vaulting those atop it into the air or slamming them into a nearby surface. Foes atop or in front of the column as it emerges must make a Reflex save. Success means they move 5' and the Column passes them by without harm. Failure to avoid a vertically ascending Column means the foe is vaulted a distance into the air equal to half the height of the column, starting at the point the column ceases rising. The victim flies an added 5' for every size category they are smaller than medium, with 5' less distance for every size category they are larger than medium. The foe falls into an unoccupied square within 20' of the Crystal Column, chosen by the Frostwind Virago. Failure to avoid a horizontally growing column means the foe is shoved 5' per 15' of the Column's length in the same direction the Crystal Column is growing, starting at the point the column ends, adjusted for size category as described above.

Should a victim fail their Reflex save and find themselves sandwiched between the Crystal Column and another terrain feature (such as a wall, a ceiling or another Crystal Column), they take 1d6 bludgeoning damage per HD of the Frostwind Virago and are pinned. Trapped foes must make a Strength check (DC 10 + ½ Frostwind Virago HD + Frostwind Virago Cha mod) to free themselves. Alternately, a trapped foe may attempt to destroy the column with any light or natural weapon at their disposal. Each 5' square of ice in the column has a number of hitpoints equal to twenty or twice the Frostwind Virago's HD, whichever is more.

Frostflight

3rd, Lesser
    The Frostwind Virago bids the spirits of the ice and storms

The Frostwind Virago uses the powers of the winds to gain flight with average maneuverability, with a speed of 10' for every 2HD she has, for 24 hours. While flying, the Frostwind Virago is unaffected by the dangers or hazards of powerful winds, magical or otherwise.

Gelid Blade
    Lesser, 3rd
    As the Frostwind Virago touches a blade, frost traces over it, then around it, and finally spirals outward into the air surrounding the weapon. Wrapped in arcane diagrams of frost and rime, the weapon freezes anyone so unlucky as to be struck by it.

The Frostwind Virago bestows the ability to deal cold damage to a weapon. The weapon deals a bonus 1d6 cold damage for every 4HD of the Frostwind Virago. Further, the weapon can, for the duration, be considered a magic weapon with a +1 enhancement bonus for every d6 of cold damage granted. This enchantment does not stack with pre-existing magical enhancements on the same weapon (Each 1d6 of cold damage is equivalent to one enhancement bonus).

Further, the enchanted weapon cannot critically hit. Instead, the weapon grants a special Gelid Blade effect should the wielder make an attack roll that would critically threaten a foe, not counting any Keen enchantment or feats. In the event that the Gelid Blade special effect is triggered, the target takes no conventional damage, instead taking an amount of Dexterity damage equal to the base weapon damage plus 1d6 Dexterity damage per 4 HD of the Frostwind Virago.

Hailing Volley
    Lesser, 4th
    Embrace of the Frozen: Yes (all potentially targeted areas).
    Levitating a daunting mass of icicles and ice shards overhead, the Frostwind Virago directs countless spears of ice to vault through the air and bombard the affected area. The volley strikes without rhyme or reason, potentially doing catastrophic amounts of damage, or none at all, while leaving jagged blades of ice sticking out of the ground as fallout.

Use of Hailing Volley is a full round action, and targets a 15' radius circle within 100' of the Frostwind Virago. Each time an individual within the area is struck, they sustain 1d6 piercing damage per HD of the Frostwind Virago and a matching 1d6 cold damage per HD. However, there is no guarantee the victim will be affected. Note which individuals within the area are is first, second, third target. For each size category a foe is larger than medium, they may be counted as an additional target (so a large creature may be counted as the first and second targets, a huge creature could be counted as the first through third targets, and so on).
    Roll a percentile die, then consult the table below:
    {table=Head]Result|Effect
    1-10|First target is struck
    11-20|Second target is struck
    21-30|Third target is struck
    31-40|Fourth target is struck
    41-50|Fifth target is struck
    51-60|Sixth target is struck
    61-70|Seventh target is struck
    71-80|Eighth target is struck
    81-90|Ninth target is struck
    91-100|No strikes[/table]
    If the result on the percentile die is even, roll again. If it is odd, then that is it for that particular roll. An additional roll may be made for every 5HD of the Frostwind Virago (with the possibility for subsequent rolls on even results as described above).

The area is thereafter filled with icy blades, which can be treated as both being covered in ice and dealing 3d6 cold/piercing damage to any individual who falls into or is thrown into the affected area.

Ice Sculpture
    Lesser, 4th
    Embrace of the Frozen: Yes, all spaces adjacent to the summoned creature when it is summoned, and again when it dies. Summoned creature is immune.
    A block of ice emerges from the ground, then rapidly sheds fragments of ice, layer after layer, until an intricately crafted creature sculpted of ice is revealed. The creature, fashioned down to details as fine as eyelashes and fingerprints, remains stationary for mere heartbeats before the Frostwind Virago casts a droplet of her own blood onto it. Imbued with her lifeforce, the sculpture fights on her behalf

Ice Sculpture operates as a Summon Monster spell of a level up to ½ the Frostwind Virago's HD (Such as Summon Monster III for a Frostwind Virago of 6th level), only it cannot summon outsiders or elementals, all summoned creatures bear the cold subtype and all summoned creatures are neutral, regardless of their other types or traits. Animating the creature requires a drop of the Frostwind Virago's own blood, which passes on the necessary lifeforce. This deals 1 point of damage to the Frostwind Virago and if she already has a summoned monster (or multiple summoned monsters), it causes her to be fatigued for one hour. Should she already be fatigued, she becomes exhausted. An already exhausted Frostwind Virago cannot use this Frostwind Power. The fatigue and exhaustion effects result from a loss of lifeforce and a price paid, and cannot be circumvented - should the Frostwind Virago not become fatigued or exhausted, the creature does not animate. Further, the exhaustion and fatigue conditions persist for one hour regardless of effects that would end them prematurely.

Mistral Attendant
    Lesser, 3rd
    The Frostwind Virago calls forth one of the most minor spirits of the air to do her bidding, attend to menial tasks and carry her belongings.

The Frostwind Virago may create an Unseen Servant as the spell, to a maximum of 1 per 6HD. These Mistral Attendants are slightly more adept than Unseen Servants. They can perform tasks with a DC up to 10 + ½ the Frostwind Virago's HD and move up to 5' for every 3 HD she has. A Mistral Attendant that serves the Frostwind Virago for one week's time learns to follow common instructions with gestures as well as spoken orders. After a month's time, they know enough to do as their mistress wishes without any indication on her part (treat as mental command).

Roaring Squall
    Lesser, 3rd
    The Frostwind Virago gives vitality and shape to those selfsame least air elementals that carry the more mischievous and mean aspects of the wind - The current of air that drives stinging dust or sand into the eyes, the sudden of wind that scatters carried papers and the breeze that blows smoke and soot from the campfire into one's face. Given life, these Squalls are mischievous, small sized entities that eagerly await an opportunity to fling a foe through the air.

With a standard action, the Frostwind Virago bids a Roaring Squall to materialize in an unoccupied space within 50' of her. The Roaring Squall is a small sized effect that remains stationary until directed to move. As a standard action, the Frostwind Virago may direct the Roaring Squall to move up to 15'. Should the Roaring Squall move into an enemy's space, or vice versa, the Frostwind Virago may attempt a ranged touch attack against that foe. If the touch attack is successful, that foe is thrown 5' per point of the Frostwind Virago's Cha mod in the direction of the Frostwind Virago's choice. Further, affected foes must make a Reflex save or fall prone. A creature that cannot move the full distance due to an intervening obstacle takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage and suffers a -1 to their Reflex save for every 10' they would have moved beyond the obstacle.

The Roaring Squall threatens the space around it as though it were a small creature, for the purposes of attacks of opportunity. Such attacks of opportunity are made as though the Frostwind Virago had attempted a ranged touch attack and count against the Frostwind Virago's maximum number of attacks of opportunity for the round. If the attack of opportunity is successful, the foe is affected as though they moved into the Roaring Squall's space, as described above. Only one attack (whether an attack of opportunity or an attack made by moving into an enemy's space) may be made against each foe in a given turn.

Zephyr
    Lesser, 4th
    The spirits of wind cavort and dance about the Frostwind Virago and her allies, lightening their steps and potentially extinguishing themselves to buoy them into the air for just a few moments.

The Frostwind Virago calls forth spirits of wind and air - Zephyrs - to enchant herself and allies within 30' for one hour. Affected individuals gain 5' additional movement speed to all movement types except for burrowing and swimming. An individual so enchanted may extinguish the Zephyr as an immediate action to gain flying with a fly speed (perfect) equal to their unmodified base land speed for one round, add the Frostwind Virago's Cha modifier to their AC against one ranged attack, or gain a bonus to an attack roll against a flying creature equal to the Frostwind Virago's Cha mod (Said creature must have a flight speed & maneuverability).

Greater:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avalanche
    Greater, 6th
    Frigid Demesnes: Yes (60%)
    Embrace of the Frozen: Yes. All tiles and creatures in area of effect.
    The Frostwind Virago infuses the ice and snow in her vicinity with the elemental cold, then releases that energy in a torrential flood of ice, sleet and snow that spouts and pours outward from that which already exists.

The Frostwind Virago chooses a direction. To determine if a creature falls within the area of effect, draw a 20' line extending opposite that direction from each foe within 80'. If that line passes over a tile of ice and snow that is also within 60' of the Frostwind Virago, that foe is in the path of the Avalanche effect. Every foe caught in the area is smothered in a tide of snow and ice, and is forced to make two Reflex saves.

Foes who fail one such save are immobilized until they can pull their lower bodies free (A Strength check with a DC of 10 + ½ Virago HD + Frostwind Virago's Cha modifier). Each attempt to free oneself grants a +2 bonus on further attempts as the victim digs themselves free. Foes who fail both saves are buried. They may take no actions except to make a Strength check (same DC as the Reflex save, above) at a -4 penalty, with no benefit for successive attempts. Immobilized and buried foes take 1d6 nonlethal damage at the end of each of their turns due to the exposure to the cold, and are fatigued if and when they suffer the damage. Buried foes begin to suffocate.

Bloodrime
    Greater, 6th
    Frigid Demesnes: Yes, offensive version only. (60%)
    Embrace of the Frozen: Yes, offensive version only. Target's space and all spaces within 5', only if it does damage.
    The Frostwind Virago eyes the blood dripping from her opponent's wounds. The hints of a smile touch the corner of her lip. Before the victim can make something of the expression, the Ice Fey makes a claw gesture with her hand, and the blood congeals into a mass of hard crimson ice. As the blood freezes, the victim's wounds are torn open further and ice roots itself deep in their bodies.

With a gesture, the Frostwind Virago forces a Fortitude save from a victim within 100'. If they fail, they take cold damage equal to the damage they have already sustained (that is, equal to the difference between their current and their maximum health). Alternately, the Frostwind Virago may target a foe with Bloodrime with a round's casting time, allowing no Fortitude save, with the same effect.

Finally, the Frostwind Virago may also use this ability on a willing creature to grant them the Cold subtype for 1 hour per caster level.

Crosswinds

Greater, 5th
    Frigid Demesnes: Yes (60%)
    Embrace of the Frozen: Yes, within wind's area of effect.
    The Frostwind Virago gestures, and the wind obeys, a blustering flurry of snowflake filled wind erupts and blows smaller enemies off their feet and sends the bigger foes stumbling for cover. Flying foes are liable to suffer the most, as the spirits of the air steal the wind from beneath their wings and potentially send them plummeting for the ground below.

Crosswinds operates in the same manner as the second level spell Gust of Wind, except for the following: It covers tiles beneath the affected area in snow, creatures take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage for every 4HD of the Frostwind Virago, with an additional 1d6 nonlethal damage for every size category they are larger than medium, and flying creatures that find themselves within the affected area have their maneuverability reduced by two steps for one round. Nonlethal damage dealt is reduced or prevented by cold resistance and cold immunity, respectively. Flying creatures that would have their maneuverability reduced below Poor lose the ability to fly for one round instead.

Cryokinesis

Greater, 5th
    Her lips set in a thin line, the Frostwind Virago focuses her gaze on an icy object. With a snap, it breaks free from the frost-laced floor and floats into her grasp. Turning her head to one side, she sees a scoundrel sneaking up on her, blade in hand. Focusing her attention on the ice crusting his boots, she trips him.

The Frostwind Virago gains the ability to use Telekinesis, but this ability is restricted to frozen objects, objects made of ice and objects covered in ice or snow (such as that created by her Glacial Blast Frostwind Power or falling under the area of effect of one of her powers that creates snow). To be targeted, enemies must be either covered in ice or snow (as just described), be under the effect or influence of one of her SLAs or Frostwind Powers or have sustained Dexterity damage equal to half their unmodified Dexterity attribute to her Frostwind Powers. The Frostwind Virago can move frozen objects weighing up to 50 lbs. per HD, to a maximum of 750 lbs. at 15 HD.

Snowdrift
    Greater, 5th
    Frigid Demesnes: Yes. (60%)
    Embrace of the Frozen: Yes, burial only, all spaces above target creature.
    The Frostwind Virago's enemy falters as his step finds no solid ground in the snow beneath him. Only paces away from the Frostwind Virago, he sinks in as deep as his knees, then finds himself waist deep and still sinking. Telling himself there was a stone floor not three feet under the ice, before, he belatedly realizes the danger, throwing his weapon aside and reaching for more solid ground. The Frostwind Virago approaches and stands imperiously above him as he struggles and fails to get a handhold in the snow and ice. Coldly, she looks down on him as she places a bootheel on his forehead and forces him beneath. Hours later, at the Frostwind Virago's behest, the snowbanks have shifted and the enemy is thoroughly lost beneath.

The Frostwind Virago can cause any pre-existing patch of deep snow (typically created with another Frostwind Power) to strategically collapse, with those standing on it being swallowed up and buried in a matter of seconds. The snowdrift acts very similar to quicksand: The affected area is 20 feet in diameter and the momentum of a charging or running character carries him or her 1d2×5 feet into the snowdrift. Spotting the snowdrift requires a Survival check against a DC of 10 + ½ the Frostwind Virago's HD + the Frostwind Virago's Cha mod, or a Spot check against the same DC with a -5 penalty. Should the Frostwind Virago create the Snowdrift under a foe, that foe is entitled to a Reflex save (DC 10 + ½ the Frostwind Virago's HD + the Frostwind Virago's Cha mod) to avoid the effect and jump clear.

Those stuck in a snowdrift may attempt to stay in place with a Climb check, which must beat a DC of 10 + ½ the Frostwind Virago's HD + the Frostwind Virago's Cha mod. Failing this check causes the victim to sink below the surface. Moving 5' through the snowdrift requires a Climb check against a DC of 15 + ½ the Frostwind Virago's HD + the Frostwind Virago's Cha mod. Again, failing this movement attempt by 5 or more causes one to sink below the surface.

Once a victim has sunk below the surface, they take 1 point of Dexterity damage and suffer 1d6 nonlethal damage each round. The DC to climb back to the surface is the same as an attempt to move 5', but increases by +1 for every round spent below. Allies can attempt to pull a victim free, but this requires either a length of rope or a pole of 10' or more length. An attempt to pull a victim free requires a DC 15 Strength check on the part of the rescuer and a DC 10 Strength check on the part of the victim, with a success moving the victim 5' closer to the surface or the edge of the effect. A failure on the part of rescuer or victim forces the victim to immediately make another Climb check or sink beneath the surface (DC 15 + ½ the Frostwind Virago's HD + the Frostwind Virago's Cha mod).

Finally, the Frostwind Virago gains the ability to cast the spell Move Earth, only it is restricted to ice and snow.

Snowflurry Step
    Greater, 6th
    The Frostwind Virago stands in the midst of the snowstorm, her expression unreadable as enemies tromp through the knee deep snow beneath her. As a wave of falling snow obscures her from vision for just a moment's time, she disappears from view. A stirring of snow on the clifftop above the enemies conceals her reappearance.

The Frostwind Virago gains the ability to travel nigh instantaneously from location to location. Snowflurry Step is activated or dismissed with a swift action. While the effect persists, she can attempt to travel to a location within 100' that she can see. Beyond the first square, for every 5' of distance between her and the intended space, her Snowflurry step has a cumulative 10% chance of failing, leaving her where she is. If she is standing on snow or ice or if the target location is covered in snow or ice, this chance is reduced to 5% per 5' of distance. If both are the case (both starting area and the destination are covered in snow and ice), the chance is reduced to 2.5% per 5' of distance (rounding down).

Elite:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Crack the Ice
    Elite, 7th
    Frigid Demesnes: Yes, all uses except for the Save-or-Die effect. (100%)
    Embrace of the Frozen: Yes. All spaces within or adjacent for all uses except the save or die effect.
    Spreading her arms wide, the Frostwind Virago bids the ice and snow to crack, unleashing a cresting wave of icy water that ensnares and pulls at all within reach. Where there was once ground, there is only water, so cold it saps one's strength and pulling the submerged ever deeper.

This water serves as a portal to the lands known as the Faerie, the Feywidls or the Fair Glades - the plane of the Fey. Those caught beneath when the portal closes that are lost to a frozen corner of one of those deceptively beautiful and consummately dangerous lands.

The Frostwind Virago can crack a surface having it transform into a pool of freezing cold water. The affected area is a burst 5' across for every three HD the Frostwind Virago has, targeting a space within 25' + 5' per HD. If the ground is icy or covered in snow, the burst is instead 5' across for every HD of the Frostwind Virago. The ground at the location is shattered, becoming a pool of water that serves as a portal to an otherworldly lake or pond. This occurs regardless of the terrain beneath the land, and as such, it would create a pool of endlessly deep, freezing waters regardless of whether one stood on an open plain, the roof of a castle or a cloud.

As the power is used and the land cracks to reveal the pool, a blast of ice and water strikes every individual within 10' of the area, forcing a Reflex save. Every individual in the area is dragged 5' towards the center of the effect, while individuals who fail the saving throw are dragged an additional 5' per point they failed the Saving Throw.

Foes that are pulled into the center of the effect or who otherwise fall into the water are drawn beneath. Each round they are in contact with the water, affected foes take 1d3 Strength damage and 1d3 Constitution damage and must either make a Strength check opposed by her Charisma check or make a Swim check opposed by her Charisma check at a -4 penalty. For each point a foe fails the save by, they are dragged 5' deeper into the water. Submerged creatures must still make swim checks to navigate the icy lake.

The portal closes after a number of rounds equal to the Frostwind Virago's HD, freezing over with a heavy crust of ice, with any summary melting of the ice revealing only the terrain that was once there, damaged but showing little of the sheer destruction that had been visited on it before. The Frostwind Virago may, as a free action, close the portal early, no less than 1d3+1 rounds after the portal's creation (roll as the portal is created). Those who are still beneath the water when the portal closes must swim 1d20x10 feet straight up to reach the surface, whereupon they find themselves in a particularly cold and inhospitable region of the Faerie/Feywilds/Fair Courts (the Plane of the Fey for your respective campaign, the Elemental Plane of Water if such does not exist).

Once a week, the Frostwind Virago can call forth one who was caught in the pool when it closed, using a sufficiently large body of water, reaching in and pulling them forth to bargain, threaten or mock them. For 1 hour thereafter, she may banish them back to the watery realm with an immediate action. Those who had their Strength or Constitution reduced to 0 or who drowned are revived with the respective attribute and their hitpoints set to 1.

As a variant, Crack the Ice may be used on a wall or ceiling, the Frostwind Virago instead creates a geyser/spout/waterfall of icy water in much the same fashion as the geyser function of a decanter of endless water, only it is 50' long, 5' across and produces 376 gallons a round. Should it originate on ice or snow, it is twice as long and produces twice as much water a round. Those caught within the geyser take 1d3 Strength and 1d3 Constitution damage and are moved to the terminus of the effect. Making a Reflex save negates all three of these effects.

Mindnumbing Aura
    Elite, 8th
    Frigid Demesnes: Yes. (100%)
    Embrace of the Frozen: Yes, the area within 30' of the Frostwind Virago.
    The very presence of the Frostwind Virago can sap an individual of his or her ambition, enthusiasm and drive, as the persistent cold and the wind cause them to wait just one moment longer to catch their breath or dive headlong into the icy winds once more.

For 24 hours, any foe that starts their turn within 60' of the Frostwind Virago is forced to delay their action until after someone else (who has not been affected by Mindnumbing Aura or who already acted on their delayed turn) has acted, taking a new place in the initiative order as a consequence. Foes at the bottom of the initiative order delay until they are near the top of the next round's initiative order.

North Wind
    Elite, 9th
    Frigid Demesnes: Yes, with special effect. (100%)
    Embrace of the Frozen: Yes, throughout the affected area.
    The Frostwind Virago dispatches a terrible storm that dances over the landscape in front of her, smothering the terrain in heavy snow and ice. Smaller foes are blown away while larger foes bear the full brunt of the wind. So terrible is this wind, it can cast a region into the deepest winter for weeks at a time.

The Frostwind Virago summons a wind that extends in a one mile cone before her. She creates Windstorm level winds in the affected area that persists for one round, but the Fort save DC is increased to (10 + ½ Frostwind Virago's HD + Frostwind Virago's Cha mod). Further, the Frostwind Virago extends the temperature in her current location over the affected area. The new climate persists in the affected area for a duration of one day for every HD she has.

Finally, foes in the area take damage based on their size as described on the table below:
    {table=head]Creature Size|Damage
    Colossal|1d6 cold damage and 1d6 nonlethal damage per HD of the Frostwind Virago
    Gargantuan|1d6 cold damage per HD of the Frostwind Virago
    Huge| 1d6 cold damage per two HD of the Frostwind Virago
    Medium or smaller|1d6 cold damage per three HD of the Frostwind Virago[/table]
    Still of Winter
    Elite, 8th
    Frigid Demesnes: Yes (100%)
    Embrace of the Frozen: Yes, within burst and in adjacent squares.
    The Frostwind Virago points, and there is a muffled rustling in the air a short distance away. For those caught within the affected area, noises are smothered, breathing is suddenly strained and movement seems as though it takes twice the effort, as snow and air simply refuses to bend or cooperate.

Still of Winter affects all within a 20' radius burst, targeting a location within 25' + 5' per HD of the Frostwind Virago that she can see. Those within the area must make a Will saving throw or be Stilled, as described below. Those who succeed their saving throw are nonetheless Slowed as the spell for 1d3 rounds.

Stilled foes require more effort to make each action, as shown on the table below:
    {table=head]Old Action Type|New Action type
    Immediate|Immediate, but also uses swift/immediate for subsequent round.
    Swift|Move
    Move|Standard
    Standard|Full-Round
    Full-Round|Effectively one round casting time.*
    One Round or more Casting Time|Casting time doubled.[/table]
    In the event of actions that now have an effective casting time (such as a full attack), the action is carried out at the end of the round. Such actions may be interrupted in the same manner of a spell and require a Concentration check to maintain in the same fashion. Actions that already required a Concentration check (such as casting spells) have a flat 25% chance to fail in addition to all other penalties. All actions beyond free actions for Stilled foes provoke attacks of opportunity, and the movement speeds of Stilled Foes are halved.

At the Frostwind Virago's discretion, foes may be Slowed rather than Stilled.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-04-18 at 01:48 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Orc in the Playground

To be a hundred percent honest, I feel the same way. That is, I don't like the name either, but honestly, not sure what to replace it with. I dug through the thesaurus for alternatives to trample, kick, hoof, stomp, stamp, etc, and didn't find anything that really fit. I'm open to suggestions, people.
    Yeah, not really a lot of words. Buck and clop are the other words I can think of, seems like there's not many good phrases for 'getting kicked by a horse.'

It seems clear to me. Could you perhaps give a situation where it would be hard to adjudicate? I'm open to further criticism on this point from others, as well.
    I'm not sure what I was thinking about, looking back. Suppose that means it's fine then.

Thank you kindly for the feedback.
    No problemo.

• Good changes overall, but the "within 50" bit seems like it would be annoying to a DM. Demanding math, more or fairly exacting estimates and the like is just problematic.
    Alrighty, I've got a good solution there. I didn't want to get too broad with the increments or it wouldn't do much at at close-ish distances. I'll add some variance in there, make the math easier but still retain usefulness.

I think it'll take a little bit of tweaking further, but I'm thinking something like this should be easy enough to arbitrate:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If they are on the same plane she knows the general direction (to the nearest cardinal or ordinal direction) and approximate distance to her quarry, the accuracy depending on the overall distance between them.
    • She knows the distance up to the nearest 50ft if her within 500ft.
    • Up to the nearest 500ft if within a mile.
    • Up to the nearest mile if within 10 miles.
    • With further distances following the same pattern.

Alternately, just define the increments within a mile, leaving the DM to choose 'appropriate increments' for larger distances.

I've also tweaked Shared Fate, hopefully it's now something a bit more appropriate. I did go with HD/4 for uses though, since it's an ability gained at 4th level.
    Homebrew Monster Classes:
    Arcadian Avenger|Thorn|Marrash|Justice Archon

25. - Top - End - #1315

Hey guys, sorry I bailed on the thread. I went through a rough patch for a while, I was depressed about the death of my Grandfather, which led me to minimize posting on the forums and focus on school work and finals, because I feared I might just stay online to deal with it, and not do the final projects I needed to focus on. I'm finally on Spring break though, and feeling less depressed, so I trust myself to get back online. I found the last critique of Gray Jester, I'll look at whipping up a Joy Slave template when I return home tonight.

26. - Top - End - #1316

Welcome back, Antigamer. No worries about the absence - I've been in much the same boat for very similar reasons myself, in the past. I can sympathize.

With the monster of a monster class that is the Frostwind Virago posted and put out there for you guys to peruse, I'm pretty much tuckered out for the time being. That is to say, there's no monster classes that I'm itching to finish and put out there, so when the Drow gets polished & put on the list (Centaur was just added), I don't know I'll be immediately plunking down another monster.

So for now, I expect I'll be doing critiques, giving feedback, answering questions and maintaining the thread. I may try my hand at finishing & posting one of the two (non-monster) base classes I've been working on, or getting a Play-by-Post game off the ground.

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Ogre in the Playground

the frostwind virago looks stupendously awesome, hyudra. i might have to whip up a nice npc just for that now.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

28. - Top - End - #1318

Quote Originally Posted by Stycotl View Post
    the frostwind virago looks stupendously awesome, hyudra. i might have to whip up a nice npc just for that now.
    Thank you kindly. I was itching for some feedback - whether it's "That's terrible" or something like what you had to offer. It's tough when you spend a while working on something and then post it, and get nothing in the way of replies. Even the little comments are much appreciated then.

If you do whip up a Frostwind Virago NPC, do share how it went.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you kindly. I was itching for some feedback - whether it's "That's terrible" or something like what you had to offer. It's tough when you spend a while working on something and then post it, and get nothing in the way of replies. Even the little comments are much appreciated then.

If you do whip up a Frostwind Virago NPC, do share how it went.
    definitely. if i do, that would give me time to do a decent critique of it too.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Post lock cut me off yesterday, but here's the finished garngrath.

Garngrath

Monster Class
    Monster Manual V
    Class
    Spoiler
    Show
    HD: D10
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|
    Special
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Garngrath Body, Improved Grab, +1 Str, +1 Con
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Crystal Horn 1, +1 Str, +1 Con
    |
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Divine Resistance, +1 Str, +1 Con
    |
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Growth 1, Divine Mending, +1 Str, +1 Wis
    |
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Resonance Shield, +1 Str, +1 Con
    |
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Crystal Horn 2, +1 Str, +1 Con
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Devastating Roar, +1 Str, +1 Con
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |Growth 2, Swallow Whole, +1 Str, +1 Wis
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |Crystal Horn 3, +1 Str, +1 Con
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |Resonance Distortion, +1 Str, +1 Con
    |
    +8
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |Crystal Horn 4, +1 Str, +1 Con
    |
    +9
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |Growth 3, Superior Mending, +1 Str, +1 Wis
    |
    +9
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |Swallowing Charge, +1 Str, +1 Con
    |
    +10
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |
    +4
    |Crystal Horn 5, +1 Str, +1 Con
    |
    +11
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |Destructive Regurgitation, +1 Str, +1 Con
    |
    +12
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |Growth 4, +1 Str, +1 Wis
    |
    +12
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |Crystal Horn 6, +1 Str, +1 Con
    |
    +13
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |Plane Shift, +1 Str, +1 Con
    |
    +14
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |Inescapable Maw, +1 Str, +1 Con
    |
    +15
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |
    +6
    |Crystal Horn 7, Avatar of Destruction, Juggernaut, +1 Str, +1 Wis[/table]

Skill Points: 2+Int, 4x at 1st level
    Class skills: Jump, Listen, Spot, Survival

Proficiencies: Natural weapons, no armor or shields

Garngrath Body: The garngrath loses all racial traits and becomes a Medium Magical Beast.
    It has a move speed of 30 feet and a burrow speed of 10 feet(loose soil only, must hold breath when burrowing), as well as darkvision out to 60 feet.
    It possesses a single primary bite attack that deals 2d6+ 1.5Str damage.
    The garngrath understands Common, but cannot speak. Anyone that stays in the company of the garngrath for over a week can understand simple concepts from its body language (such as fear, anger, worry, and so forth).
    The garngrath is unable to wield weapons or perform fine manipulation.
    The garngrath gains a natural armor bonus equal to its Constitution modifier.

Ability Bonuses: The garngrath gains a +1 bonus to Strength at each level.
    It also gains a +1 bonus to Wisdom every 4 levels and a +1 to Constitution each level it doesn't gain a Wisdom bonus.
    This adds up to +20 Strength, +15 Constitution, and +5 Wisdom at 20th level.

Improved Grab(Ex): If the garngrath successfully hits with its bite attack, it may attempt a grapple check as a free action.
    A grapple check can only be made this way against a creature at least one size category smaller than the garngrath.
    The garngrath may take a -20 penalty on its grapple check to not be considered grappled and hold the opponent in its mouth.
    Each successful grapple check made during successive rounds deals bite damage to the held creature.

Crystal Horn 1 (Sp): The crystal horn atop the garngrath's head can now begin to emulate the abilities of a prismatic spray.
    Starting out, it only has the power of the red section: 1 fire damage/HD, Reflex save half. DC is 10 + 1/2 HD + Wis mod.
    The garngrath can fire it's crystal horn as a swift action.
    This power effects all creatures in a 60-foot cone originating from the garngrath's space.

Divine Resistance(Ex): As a creature formed by the whim of Erythnul, the garngrath shares many of an outsider's defensive abilities. At 3rd level, the garngrath gains resistance to sonic, fire, and electricity damage equal to its HD and resistance to acid and cold damage equal to 1/2 HD. In addition, it gains a bonus to saves versus ability drain, energy drain, illusion effects, and insanity equal to 1/2 HD.

Growth 1(Ex): At 4th level, the garngrath grows one size category, to Large. Its land and burrow speeds both increase by 10 feet.
    In addition, the garngrath can now burrow through packed earth, but still has to hold its breath.

Divine Mending(Ex): Also at 4th level, the garngrath begins to shrug off physical injury at increasing speeds.
    It gains DR/magic and fast healing, both equal to 1/2 its HD.
    The garngrath's bite attack counts as magic for the purposes of penetrating DR.

Resonance Shield(Su): At 5th level, the chaotic energies that make up the core of the garngrath start to manifest as a physical barrier that further protects it from harm. The garngrath gains a deflection bonus to AC equal to 1/2 its Constitution bonus.

Crystal Horn 2 (Sp): At 6th level, the crystal horn gains its second hue, orange, and begins firing in much more chaotic patterns. When using the crystal horn, roll 1d3 and consult the following table for the result:

{table=head]1d3|Color|[CENTER]Effect
    |
    Red
    |
    1 fire damage/HD, Reflex save half
    |
    Orange
    |
    2 acid damage/HD, Reflex save half
    |
    ---
    |
    struck by two rays, roll twice, disregarding any "3" results
    [/table]

DCs are 10 + 1/2 HD + Wis mod.

Devastating Roar(Ex): At 7th level, as a full-round action, the garngrath can unleash a roar of such ferocity that it damages creatures and structures. This attack deals 1d6/HD sonic damage in a 60-foot radius spread, Reflex save for half damage. In addition, this roar levels all terrain adjacent to the garngrath, reducing it to light rubble and increasing the DC of Balance and Tumble checks in those areas by 2. The save DC is 10 + 1/2 HD + Con mod.

Growth 2(Ex): At 8th level, the garngrath grows one size category, to Huge. Its land and burrow speeds both increase by 10 feet.
    In addition, the garngrath can now burrow without having to hold its breath.

Swallow Whole(Ex): A garngrath of 8th level or higher can swallow an opponent that it is grappling. To do this, it must succeed on another grapple check (as if to pin the opponent). If successful, it swallows the foe, delivering bite damage. Opponents to be swallowed must be at least one size category smaller than the garngrath.

Swallowed foes are crushed each round, taking the same damage they would from a bite (but as blunt damage) and suffering twice the garngrath's Con bonus in acid damage. Swallowed creatures are considered grappled, but the garngrath isn't. To escape, they must cut their way through of the garngrath's gizzard. To do so, they must attack with a light/natural slashing weapon and deliver at least 5/HD points of damage. Use the garngrath's flat-footed AC as the to-hit (however, the garngrath is not considered flat-footed in this situation). Apply DR as normal. Once the creature escapes, muscular action closes the hole.
    The garngrath's gizzard can hold 2 creatures or objects of the maximum size. This number is doubled for each size category smaller of opponent.

Crystal Horn 3(Sp): At 9th level, the crystal horn gains its third hue, yellow. Roll 1d4 using the following table when using this ability.

{table=head]1d4|Color|
    Effect
    |
    Red
    |[CENTER]1 fire damage/HD, Reflex save half[.CENTER]
    |
    Orange
    |
    |
    Yellow
    |
    4 electricity damage/HD, Reflex save half
    |
    ---
    |
    struck by two rays, roll twice, disregarding any "4" results
    [/table]

Resonance Distortion(Su): At 10th level, the chaotic energies that form the core of the garngrath warps and blurs the vision of those that look upon it. All attacks made against the garngrath now suffer a 20% miss chance. Swallowed creatures are not subject to this miss chance.

Crystal Horn 4(Sp): At 11th level, the crystal horn gains a very potent shade, green. Roll 1d10 when using crystal horn and use the updated table below:

{table=head]1d10|Color|
    Effect
    1-2
    |
    Red
    |
    3-4
    |
    Orange
    |
    5-6
    |
    Yellow
    |
    7-8
    |
    Green
    |
    Poison (kills, Fort save 1d6 Con damage)
    9-10
    |
    ---
    |
    struck by two rays, roll twice, disregarding any "5" results
    [/table]

Growth 3(Ex): At 12th level, the garngrath grows one size category, to Gargantuan. Its land and burrow speeds both increase by 10 feet.
    In addition, the garngrath can now burrow through stone.

Superior Mending(Ex): At 12th level, the garngrath's defenses supercharge. It's fast healing and DR now equal 3/4 its HD. In addition, its DR is now /magic and law.

Swallowing Charge(Ex): At 13th level, as a full-round action, the garngrath can open its massive jaws, lower them to the ground and rush forward its move speed, swallowing everything in its path.
    Any creature up to one size category smaller who's space is fully covered by the garngrath at any point during this move must make a grapple check as though being swallowed whole or be immediately passed into the garngrath's gizzard. Any unattended object or structure up to one size category smaller than the garngrath in its path is automatically swallowed as well, but count as a size smaller for determining space left in the gizzard and for destructive regurgitation (see below).

Crystal Horn 5(Sp): At 14th level, the 5th color of the spectrum, blue, comes into focus. Roll 1d6 using the following table when using this ability.

{table=head]1d6|Color|
    Effect
    |
    Red
    |
    |
    Orange
    |
    |
    Yellow
    |
    |
    Green
    |
    |
    Blue
    |
    Petrification, Fort save negates
    |
    ---
    |
    struck by two rays, roll twice, disregarding any "6" results
    [/table]

Destructive Regurgitation(Ex): At 15th level, the garngrath develops a deadly attack form that uses the contents of its gizzard as living ammunition. As a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity, the garngrath can upchuck all still-living creatures and intact objects inside it at a single target within 100 feet. Damage is calculated according to the size of each object plus 1d6 acid damage per object, added together, plus the garngrath's strength modifier.

Damage = (Sum of object's damage rolls)+((#of objects)d6 acid)+Strength mod

{table=head]Object Size|Damage
    Fine
    |
    ---
    Diminutive
    |
    Tiny
    |
    1d4
    Small
    |
    1d6
    Medium
    |
    1d8
    Large
    |
    2d6
    Huge
    |
    2d8
    Gargantuan
    |
    3d6
    [/table]

The target gets a Reflex save for half damage. Save DC is 10 + 1/2 HD + Con mod. Creatures spat out land in another square as though they were a grenade weapon, and take 1d6 acid damage at the beginning of their next action.

Growth 4(Ex): At 16th level, the garngrath grows one size category, to Colossal. Its land and burrow speeds both increase by 10 feet.
    In addition, the garngrath can now burrow through base metal (copper, iron, steel, etc).

Crystal Horn 6(Sp): At 17th level, the 6th color, indigo, reaches potency. Roll using the following table.

{table=head]1d8|Color|
    Effect
    |
    Red
    |
    |
    Orange
    |
    |
    Yellow
    |
    |
    Green
    |
    |
    Blue
    |
    |
    Indigo
    |
    Insane, as insanity spell, Will save negates
    |
    ---
    |[CENTER]struck by two rays, roll twice, disregarding any "7" results
    |
    ---
    |
    disregard rolls of "8"
    [/table]

Plane Shift(Sp): At 18th level, the garngrath can use the chaotic energy of its resonance shield to force a tear in planar boundaries. It can plane shift (as the spell) once per day.

Inescapable Maw(Su): At 19th level, the garngrath's bite and gizzard become magically impervious to escape. Anybody held in the mouth or gizzard of the garngrath cannot escape via teleportation. Freedom of Movement does not prevent someone from being grappled by the garngrath, either.

Crystal Horn 7(Sp): At 20th level, the garngrath's horn reaches its full power with the final color, violet. Roll using the following table.

{table=head]1d8|Color|
    Effect
    |
    Red
    |
    |
    Orange
    |
    |
    Yellow
    |
    |
    Green
    |
    |
    Blue
    |
    |
    Indigo
    |
    Insane, as insanity spell, Will save negates
    |
    Violet
    |
    Sent to random plane, Will save negates
    |
    ---
    |
    struck by two rays, roll twice, disregarding any "8" results
    [/table]

Juggernaut(Ex): Puny walls and barriers no longer hinder the garngrath. At 20th level, the garngrath can move its burrow speed through any material with a hardness of 30 or less.

Also, the garngrath's DR upgrades to /magic and epic. The garngrath's bite counts as epic and magic for the purposes of penetrating DR.

Avatar of Destruction(Su): Chaos and entropy go hand in hand, and, at 20th level, the garngrath is the epitome of that axiom. Three times per day, the garngrath can spit out an orb of pure void out to 20 feet as a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity. This orb is identical to a sphere of annihilation, except it has no effect on the garngrath that produced it. This orb lasts a number of rounds equal to the garngrath's Wisdom modifier.

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This took me way longer than it should have to finish. This is my first epic monster, which is more or less a fix of the tarrasque. The crystal horn is the main standout ability of the monster, making it able to finally do something to flying enemies. Apart from that, its abilities center around either being big and tough, different ways to use swallow whole, or just having different combat forms to mix up the play style. The original tarrasque and purple worm classes were looked at to figure out some formatting of abilities and just general ways to make a beat stick more interesting to play. Overall, I feel satisfied with the way it turned out in the end, and I hope the rest of the thread feels the same way.

Changelog:
    Spoiler
    Show
    3/16: class finished
    3/17: class posted
    3/18: Fairly basic changes: bite deals 1.5 Str, abilities reworded for clarity.
    3/20: tables changed for simplicity; added Superior Mending.
    3/23: fixed spelling errors, added save calculation to each ability, table formatting.
    Last edited by Makiru; 2011-03-23 at 07:48 PM.
    Proud beta-tester for Pirates vs. Ninjas

Contributions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't have enough templates in your life? Let's Read the Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition!(Abandoned)

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In the employer/BBEG's mansion.