New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1480
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: [3.5]Improved monster classes: adapting creatures for player use-taking requests!

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    *coughs*
    *raises hand*...
    Can I do the ultroloth & marraenoloth?
    Go ahead. You'll probably do a better job with them than I would. I think I'll try the Arcanaloth next.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Improved monster classes: adapting creatures for player use-taking requests!

Quote Originally Posted by Frog Dragon View Post
    Go ahead. You'll probably do a better job with them than I would. I think I'll try the Arcanaloth next.
    Awesome. Ever since I saw Diterlizzi's rendition of the Marraenoloth, I was in love. And ultroloths are just cool.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Titan in the Playground

[QUOTE=Oslecamo;9057380]At first glance:
    -Specify that the improved grab only works with tail blade attacks.
    Nice catch. I'll edit that now.
    -The disease special abilities, altough flavourfull, aren't that usefull as diseases are very slow acting. I would add some extra custom abilities to allow the dragon to speed up the disease's effects.
    -Last levels kinda empty. See above and below for sugestions, or just add a few more ability scores.
    Not sure what to do here. *Puts thinking music on*
    -You don't specify they can breathe underwater. They're also suposed to be aquatic creatures so they shouldn't take penalties in underwater combat.
    Thanks for pointing this out. I'll fix it.
    -The original Styx dragon has two DRs, one /magic and the other /good. I would sugest to combine it in DR/magic and good equal to half HD.
    Okay. Is there any particular reason this applies to the styx dragon and not the Pyroclastic?
    -Since they can't fly boosts to the land speed over the progression would be nice since the other dragons eventually are flying at 200 foot speed.
    Mechanically I guess that makes more sense but thematically it seems to me that the swim speed should reign supreme. Maybe have the swim speed be equal to the land speed? Or is that too much?
    -The stygian breath could probably scale up a little faster like 1 int damage per 4 HD, even per 3HD or per 2HD if we want to make it really powerfull. 3 int damage on 15th level doesn't really scare anybody. 7 Int damage may look a lot but most 14th level stuff out there has 10 or more int so they'll be able to shrugg off one breath at least and very few monsters have int-related abilities so they combat ability won't be reduced. Heck, the silver dragon gets save or die breath at 5th level

In alternative, 1 Int damage per 4 HD or 3 HD, but deals half damage on sucessfull save.
    Okay, which would you suggest?

Yeah good question. The sty dragon does get a lot less attacks than other dragons but two attacks for +1 and 1/2 at 1st level seems kinda overkill. Make it start as just +1 Str and then make it increase to +1 and 1/2 at some higher level.
    Okay. Sounds fine.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Titan in the Playground

Okay so here is the updated Leonal also the Bralani is updated.

LEONAL
    Spoiler
    Show

Leonal
    Favored Class: Ranger
    Hit Die: D10
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|speed

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    Leonal Body, Lay on hands, Speak with animals
    |
    +0

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +1 Str, Celestial , Detect thoughts
    |
    +0

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +1 Con, Heavens Blessings, Natural Attacks, fireball
    |
    +0

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1 Str, cure critical wounds, Speed, pounce
    |
    +10

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1 Con, Lesser Protective aura
    |
    +10

6th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +1 Str, Remove disease, Lion Form
    |
    +10

7th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +1 Dex, Neutralize Poison, Greater protective aura, Rake
    |
    +10

8th|
    +8/+3
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |
    +1 Str, Hold Monster, Improved Grab
    |
    +20

9th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +1 Cha, +1 Dex, Wall of force
    |
    +20

10th|
    +10/+5
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +1 Str, Huge Lion form
    |
    +20

11th|
    +11/+6/+1
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +1 Cha, Heal
    |
    +20

12th|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |
    +1 Str, Roar
    |
    +30
    [/table]

Skill points at 1st: (4 + INT Modifier) x 4
    Skill points at Each additional level: 4 + INT Modifier

Skills: Balance, Concentration, Diplomacy, hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge(any), Listen, Move silently, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival.

The Leonal gains +1 Str at levels 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

The Leonal gains +1 Con at 3rd and 5th level

The Leonal gains +1 Dex at 7th and 9th level

The Leonal gains +1 Cha at 9th and 11th level

Leonal body: The Leonal loses all other racial bonus and gains outsider traits. It's a medium sized outsider with base 40 feet and two natural claw attacks (1d6 + Str). He also gains a racial bonus equal to ½HD to Move silently and Hide skills. A Leonal also gets a Nat armor bonus equal to its Con modifier.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: As outsider proficient with all simple and martial weapons. A Leonal is not proficient with any kind of armor.

Lay on Hands: Beginning at 1st level a Leonal can heal himself a number of hit points per day equal to the Leonal’s HD X Cha modifier. This ability is identical to the Paladins Lay on hands ability.

Celestial: Gain resistance to electricity and a bonus to saves versus petrification equal to its HD. A bonus on saves against poison equal to half his HD, and resistance to sonic and cold equal to half his HD, Also gains the good subtype.

Natural Attacks: A Leonal gains 1 bite attack (1D8 + ½ str) at 3rd. Any natural attacks the Leonal has are considered good aligned for purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Heavens Blessings: A Leonal gains DR/silver and evil equal to half its HD and SR equal to 11+HD.

Leonal SLA’s: When a spell appears in the entry, the Leonal can use it as a SLA a certain number of times per day depending on its HD. Saves are 10 + ½HD + Cha mod. Caster level is equal to HD. Some of those spells are always active and although they can be dispelled the Leonal can recreate them in his own turn as a free action. The Leonal can also turn those abilities off out of his own will and reactivate them as a free action when needed (only on his own turn).

Speak with animals: 1/day/HD as a free action that does not require sound.
    Detect Thoughts: 1/day/HD
    Fireball: 1/day/3HD
    Cure Critical wounds: 1/day/3HD
    Lesser Protective aura: Always active, as magic circle against evil (double strength), but affects all within 20 feet of the Leonal.
    Remove disease: 1/day/5HD
    Neutralize Poison: 1/day/5HD
    Greater protective aura: Always active, as minor globe of invulnerability, but affects all allies within 20 feet of the Leonal.
    Hold Monster: 1/day/2HD
    Wall of force: 1/day/5HD
    Heal: 1/day/5HD

Speed: A Leonal’s speed increases at 4th and every 4 levels after by 10ft (cumulatively for a total of +30)

Pounce: A Leonal of 4th level gains the ability to Pounce on its target, A Leonal can make a full attack when charging including 2 rakes (if any).

Lion Form: A Leonal can change as the druid wildshape ability but only into medium and large cats. The amount of times per day is the same as a druid of the same level, all SLA’s work in this alternate form. A Leonal can never assume a form other than a cat (for example from Prc’s). At 10th a Leonal can change into increasingly larger forms utilizing his lion form, for additional uses of Lion form the Leonal uses it can increase the size category as follows.
    1 use: medium or large.
    (10th Level) 4 uses: Huge
    (14th Level) 5 uses: Gargantuan
    (18th Level) 6 uses: Collosal

Rake: At 6th a Leonal can make a Rake attack on a successful grapple (or two on a pounce). Rakes are at the Leonal’s highest attack and deal 1D8 + Str.

Improved Grab: At 8th a Leonal gains the Improved Grab ability, when he successfully hits with his bite attack he can make a grapple attempt as a free action. If successful it establishes a hold and can rake.

Roar: At 12th Level a Leonal is Capable of Roaring with the wrath of the heavens, this roar is a 60ft cone and duplicates the Holy word spell, he can use it 1/day/4 Levels and it deals an extra 1D6 sonic damage per 5HD. DC = 10 + ½ HD + CHA modifier. Caster level equals HD.

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show

1. I changed the Nat armor to reflect "Natural armor bonus equal to Con
    modifier.
    2. Swapped Roar and Lion Form
    3. Enhanced LionForm at 10th to allow for size alterations like you suggested, it is inline with the druid wildshape and therefore the levels were a little different.
    4. And spread the stat bonuses out.
    I tried my best to keep it very Liony, I think the fast movement and druid like wildshape let that happen alot, and balance things with the other abilities.

BRALANI
    Spoiler
    Show

Bralani
    Favored Class: Ranger
    Hit Die:D6
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +1 Con, Bralani body, Blur, Wind wall

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1 Dex, Eladrin, Gust of Wind

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1 Cha, Heavens Blessings, Mirror image

4th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1 Con and Str, Tongues, charm person

5th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1 Dex, Alternate form, whirlwind blast, Lightning Bolt

6th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +1 cha and Str, Cure serious wounds, Holy power
    [/table]
    Skill points at 1st: (6 + INT Modifier) x 4
    Skill points at Each additional level: 6 + INT Modifier
    Skills: Concentration, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Handle Animal, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move silently, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot, Tumble, Use Rope.
    The Bralani gains +1 Con at 1st and 4th level
    The Bralani gains +1 Dex at 2ndand 5th level
    The Bralani gains +1 Cha at 3rd and 6thlevel
    The Bralani gains +1 Str at 4th and 6th level
    Bralani body: The Bralani loses all other racial bonus and gains outsider traits. It's a medium sized outsider with base 40 feet and one slam attack (1d8 + Str). A Bralani also gets a Natural armor bonus equal to its Con modifier.
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: As outsider proficient with all simple and martial weapons. A Bralani is not proficient with any kind of armor.
    Eladrin: Gain resistance to electricity and a bonus to saves versus petrification equal to its HD. Resistance to fire and cold equal to half his HD. Also gains the good and chaotic subtype, and weapons wielded are considered Chaotic and good for purposes of bypassing DR.
    Heavens Blessings: A Bralani gains DR/cold iron and evil equal to half its HD and SR equal to 11+HD.
    Bralani SLA’s: When a spell appears in the entry, the Bralani can use it as a SLA a certain number of times per day depending on its HD. Saves are 10 + ½HD + Cha mod. Caster level is equal to HD. Some of those spells are always active and although they can be dispelled the Bralani can recreate them in his own turn as a free action. The Bralani can also turn those abilities off out of his own will and reactivate them as a free action when needed (only on his own turn).
    Blur: 1/day/HD
    Wind Wall: 1/day/2HD
    Gust of Wind: 1/day/2HD
    Mirror Image: 1/day/2HD
    Charm Person: 1/day/HD, improves to Charm Monster at 8th level
    Tongues: As the spell but always active
    Lightning Bolt: 1/day/2HD
    Cure Serious wounds: 1/day/4HD
    Alternate Form(Su): At 5th level Bralani can shift between his humanoid and whirlwind form as a standard action. While in whirlwind form the Bralani can fly at 40ft (perfect), use whirlwind blast, slam attacks and use spell like abilities. He can use this ability a number of times equal to 1/day/3HD. The fly speed improves by 20ft every 5 levels (for 100ft at 20th)
    Whirlwind Blast: 2D6 + 1D6/4 Levels, 20 + 5ft/2HD ft line (Ref DC 10 + ½ HD + Con), A Bralani can use this a number of times equal to 1/day/2HD.
    Holy power: As a swift action 1/day/1HD, the Bralani can give the Holy property to any weapon it wields for 1 round. At 20HD, this ability is active all the time.

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show

I made the Alternate form enhance over time with HD and Whirlwind blast increases in effectiveness like a true spell.
    Was trying to go with a cleric/rogue feel.

Now onto the Ghaele...
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2012-10-13 at 07:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Arcanaloth

Looks surprisingly undemonic...

Spoiler
    Show
    HD: d6
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Arcanaloth Body, Yugoloth Magic 1/day, +1 Int

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Scholar of Gehenna, Guarded Mind

3rd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Fiendish Magic, +1 Int

4th|
    +2
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Yugoloth Magic 2/day, +1 Cha

5th|
    +2
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Fiendish Flight, +1 Int

6th|
    +3
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Yugoloth Resistance

7th|
    +3
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    | Yugoloth Magic 3/day, +1 Int

8th|
    +4
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Poison, Bite, +1 Cha

9th|
    +4
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Arcanaloth Hide, +1 Int

10th|
    +5
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Yugoloth Magic 4/day

11th|
    +5
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Spell Resistance, +1 Int

12th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |Eyes of Gehenna, +1 Cha

13th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |Yugoloth Magic 5/day, +1 Int

14th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +9
    |
    +4
    |
    +9
    |Poisonous Magic

15th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |
    +9
    |+1 Int

16th|
    +8/+3
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |Yugoloth Magic 6/day, +1 Cha

17th|
    +8/+3
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |Mage of Gehenna, +1 Int[/table]
    Skill Points per level: 4+Int
    Class Skills: Bluff, Decipher Script, Intimidate, Speak Language, Knowledge: Any, Spellcraft, Sense Motive, Craft, Profession, Diplomacy

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: All simple weapons, no armor.

Arcanaloth Body
    The Arcanaloth loses all previous racial and gains the outsider traits (Darkvision 60ft, no need to eat or sleep). It also gains a land speed of 30ft per round. It also gains two claw attacks that deal damage equal to 1d4+str bonus. In addition, it gains a natural armor bonus equal to it's constitution modifier

Fiendish Magic
    At third level the Arcanaloth casts arcane spells as a sorcerer of it's arcanaloth level-2. This casting stacks with further sorcerer levels or other levels that advance sorcerer casting. In addition, the arcanaloth may, at his option, base his sorcerer casting on Int instead of Cha.

Ability Bonuses
    At levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15 and 17, the Arcanaloth gains a +1 bonus to it's intelligence score (Total +9). At levels 4, 8, 12 and 16 the Arcanaloth gains a +1 bonus to it's charisma score (Total +4).

Guarded Mind
    At level 2 the Arcanaloth is immune to mind effecting spells and abilities.

Fiendish Flight
    At level 5 the arcanaloth gains fly speed equal to twice it's base landspeed at poor maneuverability. Further increases to landspeed also increase this fly speed.

Scholar of Gehenna
    At level 2 the arcanaloth can read, speak and write any language. Ever.

Eyes of Gehenna
    The arcanaloth is a scholar. A keeper of records. An he is fiendishly good at it.
    At level 12, the arcanaloth adds the following spells to his spell list. Arcane Eye, Locate Creature, Scrying and Prying Eyes. If the arcanaloth already has any of these spells in his spell list, he may instead add any other divination spell to his spell list in place of the one he already has.

Poisonous Magic
    At level 14, When casting any targetted spell the arcanaloth may also choose to deliver his claw poison to the target, assuming the spell hits. The save against the poison is made seperately.

Yugoloth Magic
    The indicated times per day, The Arcanaloth may cast any spell on this on this list as a spell like ability at CL equal to it's HD (DC's charisma based). This means the uses are per sla.
    At level 1: Darkness, Magic Missile, Detect Magic
    At Level 4: Telekinesis, Invisiblity, Major Image
    At Level 7: Fear, Polymorph, Arcane Sight
    At level 10: Greater Invisibility, Hallucinatory Terrain
    At level 13: Greater Arcane Sight, Legend Lore
    At level 16: Discern Location, Scintillating Pattern
    At level 19: Shapechange

Poison
    At level 8 the arcanaloth's claw attacks are poisonous, dealing 1 point of str damage as primary and secondary damage. DC is 1/2 HD+Con modifier.
    At level 12, the poison deals 1d4 str damage as both primary and secondary.
    At level 15, 1d6.
    at 18th Hd, 1d8.

Bite
    At level 8 the Arcanaloth gains a bite attack that deals damage equal to 1d6+str bonus

Arcanaloth Hide
    At ninth level the Arcanaloth gains Damage Reduction/Good equal to half it's HD.

Yugoloth Resistance
    At level 6, the Arcanaloth gains immunity to Acid and Poison and resistance to Cold, Fire and Electricity equal to it's HD.

Spell Resistance
    At level 11, the Arcanaloth gains spell resistance equal to 11+HD.

Mage Of Gehenna
    The arcanaloth gains a +2 bonus to the caster level of his sorcerer spellcasting and his spell like abilities.

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    This one was kind of tricky, since I had to balance between the spellcasting power and giving Arcanalothy abilities. At levels one and two, it's slightly stronger than the sorcerer, but then starts to weaken in comparison. Essentially, it's a full caster, though if you follow the progression to the end, you do lose out on level 9 spells. I felt this was necessary to keep the balance with the demonic abilities. I gave it the option to use int for it's casting to maintain the scholarly feel, but yeah. Here is the arcanaloth.
    Changes: Heavy changes were made. The casting was changed to level-2 and the class frontloaded a bit more to compensate. I took the abilities down and now it gets SLA:s at level 1. I pulled a few abilities out of a hat to make the last levels less dead, but here it is. The new and (hopefully) improved Arcanaloth.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2011-03-24 at 12:43 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Ettin in the Playground

Just at a glance, there's really no reason to give wisdom increases, and very little reason to give charisma increases. Excessive stat adjustments are a no-no. I'd increase the total intelligence adjustment to +8 (+1 every even level) then probably +2 charisma.
    You also give SR a little late, and for some reason, don't give any natural armor...

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I dropped the wis, added more int, and lowered the cha to +3. The cha is mainly for the SLA:s.
    I'm not giving natural armor for one reason. It'd be excessive. Casting, DR, Resistances, Flight, SLA:s, SR, stat boosts. I'd be quite leery of adding even more stuff. The natural armor isn't really that appropriate me thinks. It doesn't look like something that should have it, and the "fiendish protection" thing is handled by the DR already.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

8. - Top - End - #1148

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out. I'll fix it. Okay. Is there any particular reason this applies to the styx dragon and not the Pyroclastic?
    Because I missed that the Pyroclastic had two DRs as well.

Mechanically I guess that makes more sense but thematically it seems to me that the swim speed should reign supreme. Maybe have the swim speed be equal to the land speed? Or is that too much?
    Swim speed double of land speed sounds good. The styx dragon should reign supreme on water.

Okay, which would you suggest?
    Personally speaking, 1 Int damage per 3 HD and dealing half rounded down on a sucessfull save. Again most things won't drop having their Int dropped untill it reaches 0. And wizards have something to be afraid.

BelGareth:
    Please put the monster names in bold. Also on the bralani:
    -It gets somewhat too few uses of some SLAs. Charm person, blur and lighting bolt could get double the uses they have now. Also make the charm person upgrade to charm monster at some higher HD.
    -No problem in making the whirlwind form fly speed start at perfect maneuverability.
    -Allow holy blessing to be used with any weapon. It's suposed to work on bows after all.
    -Why does it gain Con and not Str? The class has space for some more ability increases (see below).
    -4th level kinda empty. Tongues isn't that usefull of an ability.

Otherwise good job as well on the Bralani, take care of those and I'll add both to the list!

Frog Dragon:
    You're right that the last levels don't offer much. I personally have the philosohy that each level should be stronger than the before, or at least equal. Levels 9, 12, 13 and 16 are however clearly weaker than other levels. This however is also one of those cases where the original monster isn't that strong. Besides the shapechange the arcanoloth isn't really worth CR 17. Some sugestions:

-Like the Rakasha make it casts as a sorceror of level -2. Yes it ends with sorceror casting 15 but at least now gives a good reason to take all levels.
    -Put the minor SLAs and poisoned claws at the first two levels.
    -Put back the natural armor, and give it the SR earlier.
    -Overall get creative. This is one of those monsters that could really use a buff from the original. Perhaps allow it to deliver his claw poison with spells?
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-08-02 at 04:25 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post

Swim speed double of land speed sounds good. The styx dragon should reign supreme on water.
    Double? That seems like a lot if the land speed is going to scale with HD.

10. - Top - End - #1150

Double? That seems like a lot if the land speed is going to scale with HD.
    Hmm, the Styx dragon seems to have land speed equal to it's base speed. Could swear it was double. Make it the same then.

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Could I get an awakened legendary wolf?
    -----------
    No trees were killed in the production of this message, but several trillion electrons were sorely inconvenienced
    -----------

-----------

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ori_natic View Post
    Could I get an awakened legendary wolf?
    We don't do templated creatures: templates, sure, creatures, sure, but making the class by combining the two just doesn't work.

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Titan in the Playground

We don't do templated creatures: templates, sure, creatures, sure, but making the class by combining the two just doesn't work.
    To be fair, we do have an awakened skeleton so I can see why he'd ask.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Ettin in the Playground

To be fair, we do have an awakened skeleton so I can see why he'd ask.
    ...Huh. Well, good point.
    Still, I don't think we'll be doing an awakened legendary wolf... unless someone else really wants to.

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Titan in the Playground

...Huh. Well, good point..
    That's what I'm here for. Pointing things out people missed and wasting time on devil may cry 4.

I really want to make the devil bringer.....

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Titan in the Playground

BelGareth:*Please put the monster names in bold.
    Done

-It gets somewhat too few uses of some SLAs. Charm person, blur and lighting bolt could get double the uses they have now. Also make the charm person upgrade to charm monster at some higher HD.
    Doubled the use for the ones mentioned.

-No problem in making the whirlwind form fly speed start at perfect maneuverability.
    Removed the maneuver increase and started it at perfect.

-Allow holy blessing to be used with any weapon. It's supposed to work on bows after all.
    Done

-Why does it gain Con and not Str? The class has space for some more ability increases (see below).
    Added a +1 Str bonus on 4th and 6th levels

-4th level kinda empty. Tongues isn't that useful of an ability.
    Moved Charm Person to 4th and mirror Image to 3rd. And charm person improves to Charm Monster at 8th. (as a sorcerer as same level)
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Bugbear in the Playground

May I request the Nimblewright from MM2? I've always wanted to play as one.

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dralnu View Post
    May I request the Nimblewright from MM2? I've always wanted to play as one.
    Hmm. I might try this out once I'm done with the Styx dragon unless Gorgondantess wants to try it out. He's done a few other constructs so far.

So, two things.

1. I made some changes to Styx dragon. It gets Devil chills on its tail blades at 13th level and the saves on the disease are equal to the dragon's breath weapon now.
    2. Is our goal to just stat out every official Wotc monster ever?

19. - Top - End - #1159

1. I made some changes to Styx dragon. It gets Devil chills on its tail blades at 13th level and the saves on the disease are equal to the dragon's breath weapon now.
    Hmm, what's exactly the reasoning behind devil chills? It's suposed to be a devil-only disease after all.

2. Is our goal to just stat out every official Wotc monster ever?
    Yes. One of the reasons I created this thread was to satisfy my ocasional homebrewing urges. I never had any hope of actualy doing the hundreds of oficial D&D monsters out there by myself so it would always keep me busy, but with you and the others helping it's now a realistic (altough still distant) goal.

We currently have more than 80 monsters done. I don't see any reason to stop while there's inspiration and more monsters to convert.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-08-03 at 05:49 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Ettin in the Playground

Bleah- MM2? 3.0 unupdated crap.
    I'll give it a looksee, later. Away from books right now, though.

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Hmm, what's exactly the reasoning behind devil chills? It's suposed to be a devil-only disease after all.
    Only disease I saw in the DMG related to the nine hells. Stygian wasting oddly isn't in there despite it saying so in the Draconomicon.

I just figured I should increase it's disease related attacks a bit.

Edit: forgot to address this.
    If you don't want to I'm willing to.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-08-03 at 07:00 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Barbarian in the Playground

Its not pointing to the list of diseases, its actually pointing to the rules for diseases.

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Bugbear in the Playground

Here's my latest work

Sahuagin

Sahuagin Hunter
    Spoiler
    Show
    HD:d10
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Blood frenzy, Sea born, Body of the deep, Speak with sharks, Rake, Aquaticic superiority, +1str, +1int
    2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Tidal sense, Hunter Instict, +1str, +1dex[/table]
    Skills: 4+ int mod. A Sahuagin's class skills are Handle Animal, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Ride, Spot and Survival.
    Proficiencies: a Sahuagin is proficient with all simple wepons as well as nets and tridents.
    features:
    Body of the deep: The Sahuagin loses all other racial bonuses, and gains monstrous humanoid traits, a base speed of 30 feet, a swim speed of 60ft, two claw attacks and one bite attack dealing 1d4 damage each. He also gains a natural armor bonus equal to his own Con modifier.

Sea born: a Sahuagin can only survive out of water for a number of hours equal to Half his constitution score. In addition, a sahuagin fully immersed in fresh water must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude Save or become Fatigued. Even on a success, it must repeat the save attempt every 10 minutes it remains immersed.

Speak with Sharks: a sahuagin can comunicate telepathically with sharks at a range of 150ft. Sharks will not attack a sahuagin unless provoked and the sahuagin gains a +2 bonus on handle animal checks to train sharks, with an additional +1 bonus for every 4HD

Rake: If it is grappling or fighting underwater, a sahuagin gains two rake attacks that deal 1d4+1/2 str mod in damage

Blood frenzy: A sahuagin that takes damage in combat can fly into a rage on its next turn as a free action, gaining a +2 bonus to strength and constitution and taking a -2 penalty to AC until it or its opponent are dead. This ability is useable once per day at first level with an additional use per 4HD. If the sahuagin gains the barbarian rage ability, the bonuses and penalties granted by rage stack with those granted by blood frenzy

Aquatic superiority: a sahuagin fighting in water deep enough to swim in gains a +1 dodge bonus to AC for every 20ft by which their swim speed exceeds that of their opponent.

Tidal Sense: At second level, a sahuagin learns to read the flow of water, gaining a +2 bonus on hide, listen, move silently and spot with an additional +1 bonus per 4hd, as well as blindsense 30ft, while underwater.

Hunter instict: A second level sahuagin learns gains gains a favoured enemy, as the ranger ability, but with a +3 bonus if the chosen creature type is humanoid. If the sahuagin takes levels in ranger, they stack add their sahuagin level for purposes of the favoured enemy bonus, and the increased bonus for choosing a humanoid racial enemy applies to later choices.

Sahuagin Preist
    Spoiler
    Show
    HD:d6
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Sea born, Body of the deep, Rake, Speak with sharks, Sea preistess, +1wis, +1int
    2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Tidal sense, Tidal pulse, +1str, +1wis[/table]
    Skills: 2+ int mod. A Sahuagin's class skills are Concentration, Listen, Knowledge(arcana, religion), Profession, Spellcraft, Spot and Survival.
    Proficiencies: a Sahuagin is proficient with all simple wepons as well as nets and tridents.
    features:
    Body of the deep: The Sahuagin loses all other racial bonuses, and gains monstrous humanoid traits, a base speed of 30 feet, a swim speed of 60ft, two claw attacks and one bite attack dealing 1d4 damage each. He also gains a natural armor bonus equal to her own Con modifier.

Sea born: a Sahuagin can only survive out of water for a number of hours equal to half her constitution score. In addition, a sahuagin fully immersed in fresh water must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude Save or become Fatigued. Even on a success, it must repeat the save attempt every 10 minutes it remains immersed.

Speak with Sharks: a sahuagin can comunicate telepathically with sharks at a range of 150ft. Sharks will not attack a sahuagin unless provoked and the sahuagin gains a +4 bonus on handle animal checks to train sharks.

Rake: If it is grappling or fighting underwater, a sahuagin gains two rake attacks that deal 1d4+1/2 str mod in damage

Sea preistess: A sahuagin can cast spells as a cleric of their sahuagin level, Including domains.

Tidal Sense: At second level, a sahuagin learns to read the flow of water, gaining a +2 bonus on hide, listen, move silently and spot with an additional +1 bonus for every 4hd, as well as blindsense 30ft, while underwater.

Tidal Pulse: A second level sahuagin can sacrifice a prepared spell slot to produce an underwater pulse. This pulse can take the form of a 5ft/caster level cone or a 10ft/caster level line. Anything within the area takes 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage per level of the spell slot sacrificed.

Racial feat
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sahuagin mutant
    Prerequisites: Con 13+, HD8+
    benefit: you gain an extra set of arms. these additional arms allow for two additional claw attacks or can be used to hold wepons.

Notes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Since the role a sahuagin plays within their culture is determined by gender, I thought the class(es) should reflect that. Male sahuagin are skilled hunters and warriors and female sahuagin are healers and religious leaders
    Last edited by Crafty Cultist; 2010-08-05 at 11:54 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Titan in the Playground

I have to say, I kind of feel like the planar dragons are a bit overloaded compared to their MM counterparts. In the Draconomicon they get SLAs but they don't get any spellcasting. Should I give them a bunch of SLAs but make it so the players have to choose between the spellcasting and SLAs or are they really not as powerful as they seem to me?

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Ettin in the Playground

I have to say, I kind of feel like the planar dragons are a bit overloaded compared to their MM counterparts. In the Draconomicon they get SLAs but they don't get any spellcasting. Should I give them a bunch of SLAs but make it so the players have to choose between the spellcasting and SLAs or are they really not as powerful as they seem to me?
    Well, I donno about your other dragons... but the styx dragon can't fly. That's plenty balancing, in my book.

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I donno about your other dragons... but the styx dragon can't fly. That's plenty balancing, in my book.
    True, but look at the pyroclastic.

Oh, and I only have one other dragon. For now. I'm looking at the rust and Radiant dragons next (The black dragon is a bit out of my element.)

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, there is an update available.

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I gave the arcanaloth a heavy overhaul.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Orc in the Playground

GRIFFON

Class
    Spoiler
    Show

GRIFFON

HD: d8
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Griffon Body, Scent, +1 Dex, +1 Str

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Talons, +1 Dex, +1 Str

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Pounce, Vigil, +1 Dex, +1 Str

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Wings, Growth, +1 Str[/table]

Class Skills: (4 + Int. Mod.) x4 at first level. The Griffons class skills are Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, and Spot.

Class Features

Proficiencies: Griffons are proficient only with their own natural weapons. They are not proficient with any armor.

Griffon Body: At first level, the Griffon loses all racial bonuses, traits, and abilities and becomes a magical beast with the following traits.
    Spoiler
    Show

• Medium Size.
    • 40ft. base land speed.
    • One natural bite attack, dealing 1d6 + Str. Mod.
    • Dark Vision 60ft.
    • Low-light Vision
    • Griffons are four legged creatures and do not possess hands or limbs capable of fine manipulation. Therefore, Griffons cannot wield weapons or manipulate objects.
    • Griffons cannot speak but they can understand common and an additional number of languages of their choosing for ever point of intelligence modifier.

Additionally, the Griffon recieves a bonus to its AC equal to its constitution score in the form of a natural armor bonus.

Scent (Ex): At second level, the Griffon gains the scent ability.

Ability Increases: A griffon receives a permanent increase to its strength score at each Griffon level as well as a permanent increase to its dexterity score at levels one, two, and three. At 4th level, assuming the griffon has taken all 4 levels available, the increases total at +4 Strength and +3 Dexterity.

Talons (Ex): At second level, the Griffon gains 2 claw attacks which deal 1d4 + strength modifier damage each. Additionally, when grappling, the Griffon drag the sharp talons across the flesh of the opponent. A Griffon has 2 rake attacks which deal 1d6 + Strength modifier damage each.

Vigil (Ex): Griffons have extremely keen eyesight and hearing. At 3rd level, a Griffon receives a racial bonus to spot and listen checks equal to ½ its HD.

Pounce (Ex): Griffons are lighting quick and ferocious. At 3rd level, whenever a griffon makes a charge, he may follow with a full attack.

Wings (Ex): At 4th level, a Griffon’s wings have developed fully and the Griffon may now fly at a speed of 40ft. with average maneuverability. The speed at which a Griffon can fly increases by 10ft. for every 3 HD the Griffon possesses, excluding the first three.

Growth: At 4th level, a Griffon’s size increases by one category.

Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Another attempt at one of the classic monsters. Lets see how bad I messed up.
    Last edited by AustontheGreat1; 2010-08-04 at 05:26 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Well I think the Griffon looks pretty good but I have a hard time telling balance. I greatly appreciate your efforts, thanks for giving it a shot.
    Last edited by MrLich; 2010-08-04 at 10:22 AM.