New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Improved Monster Classes- Still Alive, and taking requests!

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    At a glance, though, doesn't this allow too much frontloading of Cha?
    Possibly, but when you consider how limited it is in other respects, I think it balances out.

I put all my points in Cha, then get some Cha boosting magic items for...
    • HP
    • Fort saves.
    • Deflection bonus to AC
    • Soul Blast Damage
    • Bonus to incarnum abilities or duration for transforming.
    Very true, except the last one, it doesn't really get any bonuses to incarnum stuff based on charisma. If you then consider that it can never wield any kind of weapon, carry anything, interact with any non-incarnum creature except by limiting itself in other ways and is also faced with the fact that it's a tiny ball of souls. Personally, I think it should have nice things to compensate for that.

You can cha-stack with it, sure but it's the most OoRP thing you can think of. I mean, a Soulspark Paladin? A Soulspark Sorcerer? Seems a bit crazy to me, but would still work mechanically I guess. Maybe I should just make Cha replace Con for purposes of HP OR the Fort save, not both?

If I wanted to abuse this, I could use a feat for Force of Personality; replace my Wis stat with Cha for will saves.
    True, but that can be said for any cha-based class/race. Paladin + Force of Personality is just as bad.

Also, it's kind of weird that the Soulspark gets Diplomacy as a class skill when it can't really communicate until 6th level.
    Well you can communicate, it's just more interesting than plain speech

Main reason for diplomacy was that it's listed in the monster entry.

EDIT: You're right, I should've specified. I was thinking of something like being able to absorb certain types of items? One waist, one chest, one head, one ring and one amulet or ring?
    Last edited by Niezck; 2010-10-09 at 02:49 PM.
    Dragonborn Gnome avatar by the ever-lovely Derjuin!

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe use the Lantern Archon's item-bearing capabilities. It gets two slots (body & shoulders I believe) then may use more if it gets crafted into orbs that float aound it for double the cost.

Obviously yours would get a hand or arm slot while it's Soul Limb is manifested.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duskranger View Post
    The highlighted is not really considered core nor OGL. So why would that be allowed and MoI not?
    I meant to use them as inspiration. I honestly don't know if Archivist is OGL or whatever, but that didn't stop me from giving it to the Marrutact.

Quote Originally Posted by Niezck View Post
    My vote goes for the 5-level PrC too. If nothing else, 99.9% of DMs I know play with swift/immediate as they're considered base rules but only a very small percentage (<10%) use fractional BAB/saves unless it's gestalt. So by taking the template 5 times you're essentially uber-boosting saves.
    Really? I've met one DM who was against fractional BAB/saves, and that was Voldem-err, Oslecamo.

Also, just an idea, perhaps give it access to more powerful abilities depending on what level it's on? Say, it gets access to the lower tier abilities at level 1-2, moderate at 3-4 and the uber awesome ones at 5?
    I'm just going to keep what I have for 1-4 and then give it a choice of a capstone, or 2 from the 1-4 abilities.
    Really, though, if we're going for consistency, I should just make it one level long as it's a +1 CR class.

Oh and I'll update the Soulspark with a non-MoI ability shortly. I'm not entirely sure what to do about it though, since I'd like it to get effective Incarnate levels but can't, so maybe something like "It gains X ability or an effective Incanate level equal to its HD-2" to allow for people both with and without the MoI book?
    Yeppers!

Wow, I've missed a lot since dropping out of an earlier thread.

Not sure how to get back into the swing of things. Two threads to read through & hard to track what's already been done.

If anyone wants input, let me know. In the meantime, assuming nobody's stepped in & finished them, I might finish the Giants.
    ...The giants were unfinished? Or do you mean you're going to do cloud and storm giant n'stuff? If the latter, great to have you back.

At a glance, though, doesn't this allow too much frontloading of Cha?

I put all my points in Cha, then get some Cha boosting magic items for...
    • HP
    • Fort saves.
    • Deflection bonus to AC
    • Soul Blast Damage
    • Bonus to incarnum abilities or duration for transforming.

If I wanted to abuse this, I could use a feat for Force of Personality; replace my Wis stat with Cha for will saves.

It's kind of weird that the Soulspark gets Diplomacy as a class skill when it can't really communicate until 6th level.

Also, can't help but wonder - could you elaborate on the magic item slots a soulspark has available to it? The lack of a body could be particularly crippling, given the importance of gear to PCs.
    I agree with the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Niezck View Post
    Possibly, but when you consider how limited it is in other respects, I think it balances out.
    Not necessarily- being very limited in one respect and uber in another doesn't equal balanced, it equals broken.

If you then consider that it can never wield any kind of weapon
    Not a problem.
    carry anything
    Easily bypassed with a magic item costing less than 1000 gp.
    interact with any non-incarnum creature except by limiting itself in other ways and is also faced with the fact that it's a tiny ball of souls. Personally, I think it should have nice things to compensate for that.
    The problem isn't that it's getting nice things, the problem is that the things it are getting are... well, weird. You're essentially forcing it to pump charisma- the higher the charisma, the more powerful it is, the lower the charisma... well, it sortof sucks. Nice things doesn't mean charisma to a bunch of abilities.

You can cha-stack with it, sure but it's the most OoRP thing you can think of. I mean, a Soulspark Paladin? A Soulspark Sorcerer? Seems a bit crazy to me, but would still work mechanically I guess. Maybe I should just make Cha replace Con for purposes of HP OR the Fort save, not both?
    I'd say neither. Let it have a constitution score, unless it didn't in the original monster. Incorporeal creatures can have constitution scores, y'know- the only things that don't are undead & constructs. Constitution doesn't necessarily mean "physically tough, thick hided, healthy"- that's like saying charisma is physical attractiveness.

True, but that can be said for any cha-based class/race. Paladin + Force of Personality is just as bad.
    Eh, not necessarily. That's saves right there, and once a day an attack, compared to HP & AC & ALL attacks.

All that being said, let's go for a blow-by-blow review:
    Soulspark:
    [spoiler]Well, first things first, the raw stats... Well, as stated, I wouldn't give it diplomacy. Also, I see no reason why it should have full BAB- it's hardly a martial type, now, is it?
    Now, for first level... well, that's just kindof silly. Remember how we're supposed to alter things for playability? Well, if a wyvern & displacer beast can talk, so can this. Go ahead and give it your telepathy, and let it talk with everyone. Please. It won't make things unbalanced, it'll just make everything easier on everyone.
    Otherwise, looks OK.
    Soul blast looks good- I like the scaling, and the iteratives. I'd change the wording to something like "can make iterative attacks as if it were a manufactured weapon".
    For alignment, does a soulspark have to be neutral, or can it choose its own alignment then choose its alignment ability? Clarify, please.
    Ability score increases... bluh. I hate odd modifiers. Why don't you give +1 to a score at each level, and at 7th give +1 to both scores? Rounds things off nicely.
    On incarnum shroud, thanks for giving an overview on how to use essentia for those who don't have MoI. However, the problem there is that until 4th level, it can only expend half of its essentia pool, as it only has one thing to spend it on. Also, might want to give it a variety of abilities to choose from- feel free to use chakras or totems or whatever they're called as inspiration. Flat bonuses are bland. (though the fast healing's good.)
    Soul limb... so, no use for strength until now, and suddenly it does have a use for strength? I suppose? It's okay, but not perfect. Maybe give it earlier. Also, let them invest essentia in it for some cool bonuses... maybe. Your choice.

Now, Soul Incarnate: Base it off of class level. For the love of god, base it off of class level. You could go off and take levels of crusader or sorcerer or whathaveyou for your next 13 levels and at the end have 18 incarnate levels. I was under the impression that was like caster levels. If so, that is horribly, butally broken. Even if it's more like initiator levels, that's horribly, brutally broken. Otherwise, looks okay, so long as you remove that last clause.

For soul manifestation... LAME. Seriously. I'd say let it use polymorph like that. This is a capstone we're talking about here- your current soul manifestation would fit as a 2nd level ability. That, or give it at will alter self without a size limit- that would be a cool capstone, representing that it comes from many, many souls, and it's learned to represent them. Maybe say it can only alter self into humanoid forms.
    Or you could just give it sorcerer levels equal to its HD-5.
    Or you could let it choose from the last two (polymorph is pretty cheesy, after all.)
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, and go ahead and take KB's suggestion.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    Temotei: Are you finished with the Ettin & Nimblewright? Have you made the revisions I suggested?
    Not yet. My computer literally blew up while I was on it, so that was a minor setback. I'll see what I can do now.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Thoughts on the Titan Gorgon?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

7. - Top - End - #307
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by monkman View Post
    Gerivar

Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
    1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    | +1 Str, +1 Con, Gerivar body

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    | +1 Str, +1 Con, Regeneration

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    | +1 Str, +1 Con, Exploding nodules

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    | +1 Str, +1 Con, Growth

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    | +1 Str, +1 Con Throw stone

6th|
    +6
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    | +1 Str, +1 Con,

7th|
    +7
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    | +1 Str, +1 Con , Addition arm

8th|
    +8
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    | +1 Str, +1 Con, Powerful build

9th|
    +9
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    | +1 Str, +1 Con

10th|
    +10
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    | +1 Str, +1 Con

11th|
    +11
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    | +1 Str, +1 Con

12th|
    +12
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    | +1 Str, +1 Con , Growth

13th|
    +13
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    | +1 Str, +1 Con

14th|
    +14
    |
    +9
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    | +1 Str, +1 Con , Addition arm

15th|
    +15
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    | +1 Str, +1 Con

16th|
    +16
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    | +1 Str, +1 Con , Powerful build

17th|
    +17
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    | +1 Str, +1 Con

18th|
    +18
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    | +1 Str, +1 Con

19th|
    +19
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    | +1 Str, +1 Con [/table]
    HD = d12
    skills2+int modifier(x4 at first lv) Class skills

Gerivar body : The Gerivar loses all other racial bonuses, and gains giant traits (mainly low light vision), Darkvision 60', a base speed of 30 feet, two natural slam attacks doing 1d6+Str each and a +1 racial bonus on thrown rocks.He gains natural armor equal to his Con bonus.He also get 4 arms but 3 of them are two weak to do anything.

RegenerationA Gerivar gains regenration equal to half his HD. Cold and acid bypass this Regeneration.

Exploding nodules A Gerivar has small nodules that contains fragments of the gerivar body armor and an explosive liquid. He is able to detack them and they are considered grenade like weapons.They damage 1d6/2hd fire and piercing. A normal Gerivar has 12 nodules on his body and it takes 3d6 minutes to grow back. Sevral nodules can grow back at the same time.

Growth Ay 4th Hd a Gerivar grows to large size.
    At 12 HD he grows to huge size.
    At 20 Hd he grows to gargantuan size.

Throw stone At 5th level, the Gerivar may begin throwing boulders or other large objects. A Gerivar of at least Large size can hurl rocks weighing 40 to 50 pounds each (Small objects) up to 900 feet. A Gerivar giant can hurl rocks of 60 to 80 pounds (Medium objects). A Gargantuan Gerivar can hurl rocks of 90 to 120 pounds (large objects). Inanimate objects of similar size and heft may be substituted, but you lose the racial bonus to attack rolls and have half the range. When a Gerivar gainsthe use of all 4 arms, then he is able to shot 2 rocks or similar size objects.

Addition arm A 7th level , a gerivar gains use of another of his arms.
    At 14th level he gains use of all of his arms.

Powerful build At 8th level he gains the powerful build and is considered Huge
    At 16th level he gain another powerful build and is considered gargantuan.

Well, this is just my two coppers, but the ability score increases seem mildly ( understatement ) large.
    All thanks to Domochevsky for the epic avatar

My Creed
    Spoiler
    Show
    Illic est haud affectus, illic est hunger.
    There est haud ignarus, illic est hunger.
    There est haud perturbatio, illic est hunger.
    There est haud chaos, illic est hunger.
    There est haud nex, illic est Hive.

Δεν υπάρχει συναίσθημα, υπάρχει πείνα.
    Δεν υπάρχει άγνοια, υπάρχει πείνα.
    Δεν υπάρχει πάθος, υπάρχει πείνα.
    Δεν υπάρχει χάος, υπάρχει πείνα.
    Δεν υπάρχει θάνατος, υπάρχει το Καταφύγιο.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah ... I'm not familiar with that particular monster, but I do know that ability score bonuses =/= fun class abilities ... it seems rather boring and, as Gorgondantess would put it, I think, "vanilla." If it's just a big melee class, it looks like it'd be in the same category as purple worm, and if it's got interesting things going for it ... well, you didn't show that.

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

9. - Top - End - #309
    Barbarian in the Playground

CR*p,i am so stupid,stupid, how cound i not see it , im going to delete it and im a very sorry
    Last edited by monkman; 2010-10-09 at 04:19 PM.
    awesome avatar made by Trazoi
    Totem Cleric:A divine fighter that uses a totem which empowers him.

I will not have as much acces to a computer so I will not post as much.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #310
    Orc in the Playground

o.O You're not stupid. You just made a little mistake. We could've helped you out so you could fix it...
    All thanks to Domochevsky for the epic avatar

My Creed
    Spoiler
    Show
    Illic est haud affectus, illic est hunger.
    There est haud ignarus, illic est hunger.
    There est haud perturbatio, illic est hunger.
    There est haud chaos, illic est hunger.
    There est haud nex, illic est Hive.

Δεν υπάρχει συναίσθημα, υπάρχει πείνα.
    Δεν υπάρχει άγνοια, υπάρχει πείνα.
    Δεν υπάρχει πάθος, υπάρχει πείνα.
    Δεν υπάρχει χάος, υπάρχει πείνα.
    Δεν υπάρχει θάνατος, υπάρχει το Καταφύγιο.

11. - Top - End - #311

(head down in shame) i dont think that it should of been fixed beacuse it was already made and it would be really stranged to have practactly the same creature twice.
    Last edited by monkman; 2010-10-09 at 04:26 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Dude, stop beating yourself up so much.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, right. Titan!

Table: Full BAB? Tsk, tsk. Titans are not finesse fighters, they're "I hit you really hard" fighters. Remove the full BAB, and give +1 strength more often- or, give more bonuses in general.
    Also, the proper way of doing things is not putting the ability scores in a table, but the table. Much like pretty much every other monster out there.
    Titanic strength looks okay.
    Scrap all the "titanic magic" lesser intermediate and all that. It's just not how we do things- that stuff is for templates that need to give higher level SLAs but don't have enough levels, not a 20 level class.
    Brute force... disable device and open lock are trained only. Say they can make a strength check with a bonus equal to 1/2 their level as a standard action, and if it beats a lock/device's DC, they demolish it.
    Titan Battle Style is cool. I like it.
    Skin of the Titan looks okay. The SR is a bit powerful, but, eh, you needed an ability there- I'll not hold it against you.
    For the growths, growth to large is fine. Growth to huge is not. Have them start at 40 ft and give a +10 ft bonus to speed at both growths- consider if they multiclassed and got greater than 60 feet of land speed, then went back to titan and got the 2nd growth- it would actually make them decrease in speed.
    Bonus feats... bland, but a decent filler I suppose. Might actually be better thematically to restrict it only to SLA metamagic feats- then give it a bonus like letting its caster level be considered higher for the purposes of qualifying, or increased uses.
    Change shape is a-ok.
    I'll be back is pretty cool, but I'd make it even better- let the titan choose whether to stay dead and be resurrected when it is safe, or an hour later come back to life with 1 hp.
    Get to da choppa, however, isn't exactly thematically appropriate. How about something like this:
    Hasta la vista, baby (ex): Once per day, the Titan may utter a pithy comment before attacking as a standard action. For the purposes of that attack, he gains his charisma bonus as an Awesome bonus to attack and damage. The DM should feel free to add a bonus or penalty to this number, depending on how clever and pithy the one-liner is. The attack pierces all damage reduction. All threatened criticals are automatically confirmed.
    If the enemy is hit, they are sent flying back a number of feet equal to half the damage the Titan dealt with the attack, rounded to the nearest 5. If they are blocked by a wall or obstacle, they take 1d6 damage per 5 feet they would've gone beyond that. Either way, when they land, they fall prone and are shaken for the duration of the encounter. This shaken status will affect creatures immune to fear or mind-affecting, but not mindless creatures.
    This ability cannot be used on the first round of a battle.

Just a suggestion.
    Otherwise, looks good!

Monkman: Calm down, sheesh. You like big creatures, that's okay. Also, the ability scores aren't too big- several creatures get +2 a level. Especially melee monsters. Anyways, I don't know the monster, and I didn't really see it, but I'm sure something could be worked out with it.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-10-09 at 04:34 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Bugbear in the Playground

...The giants were unfinished? Or do you mean you're going to do cloud and storm giant n'stuff? If the latter, great to have you back.
    Cloud & Storm, yeah.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

Cloud & Storm, yeah.
    Yay!

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, right. Titan!

Table: Full BAB? Tsk, tsk. Titans are not finesse fighters, they're "I hit you really hard" fighters. Remove the full BAB, and give +1 strength more often- or, give more bonuses in general.
    Also, the proper way of doing things is not putting the ability scores in a table, but the table. Much like pretty much every other monster out there.
    Ok, Medium BAB and stats adjusted. Not changing the table because that is beyond unnecessarily complicated.
    Titanic strength looks okay.
    Cool.
    Scrap all the "titanic magic" lesser intermediate and all that. It's just not how we do things- that stuff is for templates that need to give higher level SLAs but don't have enough levels, not a 20 level class.
    Right, will do.
    Brute force... disable device and open lock are trained only. Say they can make a strength check with a bonus equal to 1/2 their level as a standard action, and if it beats a lock/device's DC, they demolish it.
    Kewl.
    Titan Battle Style is cool. I like it.
    Also kewl.
    Skin of the Titan looks okay. The SR is a bit powerful, but, eh, you needed an ability there- I'll not hold it against you.
    Thanks.
    For the growths, growth to large is fine. Growth to huge is not. Have them start at 40 ft and give a +10 ft bonus to speed at both growths- consider if they multiclassed and got greater than 60 feet of land speed, then went back to titan and got the 2nd growth- it would actually make them decrease in speed.
    Ok.
    Bonus feats... bland, but a decent filler I suppose. Might actually be better thematically to restrict it only to SLA metamagic feats- then give it a bonus like letting its caster level be considered higher for the purposes of qualifying, or increased uses.
    Not everything can be awesome. Even the best classes have meh levels.
    Change shape is a-ok.
    Cool.
    I'll be back is pretty cool, but I'd make it even better- let the titan choose whether to stay dead and be resurrected when it is safe, or an hour later come back to life with 1 hp.
    I was just making abilities to fill the levels and not particularly boost the Titan's power any more. If you think it's ok to raise the power I will do that.
    Get to da choppa, however, isn't exactly thematically appropriate. How about something like this:
    Hasta la vista, baby (ex): Once per day, the Titan may utter a pithy comment before attacking as a standard action. For the purposes of that attack, he gains his charisma bonus as an Awesome bonus to attack and damage. The DM should feel free to add a bonus or penalty to this number, depending on how clever and pithy the one-liner is. The attack pierces all damage reduction. All threatened criticals are automatically confirmed.
    If the enemy is hit, they are sent flying back a number of feet equal to half the damage the Titan dealt with the attack, rounded to the nearest 5. If they are blocked by a wall or obstacle, they take 1d6 damage per 5 feet they would've gone beyond that. Either way, when they land, they fall prone and are shaken for the duration of the encounter. This shaken status will affect creatures immune to fear or mind-affecting, but not mindless creatures.
    I knew there was one I'd missed. OK.

Edit: Kept GTDC! and also added HLVB! because getting rid of the Magic gradings irritatingly gave me a new dead Level at Level 16.

Edit 2: Updated Titan:

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Titan

Class:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hit Dice: d8
    {table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
    1|+0|+2|+0|+0|Titanic Body, Titanic Strength, Titanic Magic
    2|+1|+3|+0|+0|Brute Force
    3|+2|+3|+1|+1|Titan Battle Style (SLA)
    4|+3|+4|+1|+1|Skin of the Titan (DR/Magic)
    5|+3|+4|+1|+1|Growth (Large)
    6|+4|+5|+2|+2|Skin of the Titan (SR)
    7|+5|+5|+2|+2|Bonus Feat
    8|+6|+6|+2|+2|Change Shape
    9|+6|+6|+3|+3|Titan Battle Style (Full Attack)
    10|+7|+7|+3|+3|Growth (Huge)
    11|+8|+7|+3|+3|Unstoppable
    12|+9|+8|+4|+4|Skin of the Titan (DR/Lawful)
    13|+9|+8|+4|+4|Swat
    14|+10|+9|+4|+4|Bonus Feat
    15|+11|+9|+5|+5|Skin of the Titan (SR+Cha)
    16|+12|+10|+5|+5|Hasta La Vista Baby!
    17|+12|+10|+5|+5|I'll be back!
    18|+13|+11|+6|+6|Titan Battle Style (Overcome DR)
    19|+14|+11|+6|+6|Get to da Choppa!
    20|+15|+12|+6|+6|Skin of the Titan (DR/Epic & Lawful)
    21|+15|+12|+7|+7|Bonus Feat, Supreme Titanic Magic[/table]

Class Skills: 4+Int Mod (x4 at first level) Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Heal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (any one), Listen, Perform, Sense Motive, Search, Spellcraft, Spot, Swim.

Proficiencies: Titans are proficient with their own natural attacks, as well as all simple and martial weapons. They are proficient with light, medium & heavy armour but not shields.

Class Features:

Titanic Body (Ex): At first level the Titan loses all racial traits and features and gains the Outsider traits. It gains the Chaotic subtype, as well as the Native subtype when on a Chaos aligned Plane and the Extraplanar subtype when anywhere else.
    It is medium sized and has a base land speed of 40ft.
    It gains a primary Slam attack that deals 1d4+Str Mod damage, and a natural armour bonus equal to it's Con Mod.
    At each level the Titan gains a bonus to one or more Stats, as shown on the table below:

{table]Level|Str|Con|Cha
    1|+1||
    2|+1|+1|
    3|+1||
    4||+1|+1
    5|+1||
    6|+1|+1|
    7|+1||
    8||+1|+1
    9|+1||
    10|+1|+1|
    11|+1||
    12||+1|+1
    13|+1||
    14|+1|+1|
    15|+1||
    16||+1|+1
    17|+1||
    18|+1|+1|
    19|+1||
    20||+1|+1
    21|+1||
    Total|+16|+10|+5[/table]

Titanic Strength (Ex): Titans have the Powerful Build quality. When they increase in size via the abilities of this class (but not from any other means) Powerful Build increases too.

Titanic Magic (Sp): Magic flows in the blood of Titans, and as such they can utilise many spell-like abilities. Spell-likes are gained at the Titan level shown in the below spoiler and may be used as often as shown.

Brute Force (Ex): A Titan's raw strength is their biggest asset. Titans may make a Str check and add 1/2 their Titan Level as a racial bonus vs. the DC of a Disable Device and Open Lock checks. If the check beats DC then the Titan demolishes the lock/device, ruining them beyond use or repair.

Titan Battle Style (Ex): Titans train from birth with weapons far bigger than normal for most races. Thanks to their Powerful Build they can use weapons of this size without penalty, and only when using a masterwork weapon (excluding natural weapons) one size bigger than themselves do they gain the benefits of this ability.
    - At third level when a Titan threatens a Critical Hit they may use one of their SLAs as a Swift action, provided they haven't used their Swift/Immediate action for that round already.
    - At ninth level they may make a full-attack as a standard action.
    - At eighteenth level they may overcome 1 point of DR per Titan level, regardless of what would normally overcome it (if it is DR/- then they ignore 1 point/2 Titan levels).

Skin of the Titan (Ex): The magic inherent within Titans grants them potent protection.
    - At fourth level they gain DR/Magic equal to half their HD.
    - At sixth level they gain Spell Resistance equal to 10+HD.
    - At twelfth level their DR becomes DR/Lawful.
    - At fifteenth level they gain +Cha Mod to their Spell Resistance.
    - At twentieth level their DR becomes DR/Epic & Lawful.

Growth (Ex): At fifth level the Titan grows to Large Size, it's Slam attack increases to 1d6+Str damage and it gains +10ft to it's land speed. It's natural armour bonus increases by one.

At tenth level they grow again to huge size. Their Slam now deals 1d8+Str damage and gains another +10ft to it's land speed. Their natural armour again increases by one.

Bonus Feat (Ex): At levels 7, 14 & 21 Titans gain a bonus feat. This feat must be either a Fighter bonus feat or a spell-like metamagic feat.

Change Shape (Su): From eighth level Titans may assume the form of any small or medium humanoid for 1 hour/day for each Titan level it possesses.

Changing shape is a move equivalent action that may be done at will, but no more than 1/round.

Unstoppable (Ex): Titans are born to battle, and over the generations they have learned techniques that mean they may continue in the fray long after others have fallen. From now on the Titan may use his Cure Critical Wounds SLA on himself as a Swift action. He may still use the SLA on others, but it takes it's normal casting time when doing so.

Swat (Ex): At second level, the Titan may turn his strength to knocking enemies around rather than simply harming them. A Swat is a standard-action, touch based attack delivered with the Titan's slam attack. Enemies take standard slam damage, but the Titan does not add his Str to damage. Instead, enemies are knocked 5' in the direction of the Titan's choice (excepting movement into the Titan's occupied area), plus 5' for every size category the giant has over them. Increase the distance increment by 5' for every 5HD of the Titan.

Enemies who are knocked into obstacles must make a balance test (DC is 10 + the damage dealt + the Titan's Str modifier) or fall prone. If an enemy is knocked into another enemy's square, both foes must make balance tests.

Flying enemies must pass the same balance test or lose flying for 1 round per size category the Giant has over them.

Hasta La Vista Baby! (Ex): Once per day, the Titan may utter a pithy comment before attacking as a standard action. For the purposes of that attack, he gains his charisma bonus as an Awesome bonus to attack and damage. The DM should feel free to add a bonus or penalty to this number, depending on how clever and pithy the one-liner is. The attack pierces all damage reduction. All threatened criticals are automatically confirmed.

I'll be back (Su): Titans are unbelievably difficult to keep down. As a free action 1/week a Titan may utter the name of this ability whilst engaged in combat (initiative has been rolled, must have made at least one melee attack or used one of his SLAs against an enemy since initiative was rolled). This effect lasts for 1 round/HD.

If the Titan is killed during that duration, anyone attempting to resurrect him at any point after that may forgo any material or XP costs involved. Alternatively the Titan may forgo this power and instead revive automatically 1 hour after death with 1HP and no level loss, assuming there is at least some of his original body remaining.

If killed whilst under the effects of this ability the Titan's soul may also not be trapped or bound in any way.

The power of this effect only works once, and must be renewed after the Titan is raised if they wish to benefit from it again. The week delay before it is usable again begins the day after the previous use expires, unless he is killed whilst under it's effect in which case it begins the day after he is revived.

Get to da choppa! (Su): Titan's may be wild and powerful, but they're not suicidal, and they know the benefit of allies.. As a Swift action he may yell out the name of this ability in the same round that he uses his Gate SLA, and anyone he considers an ally within 50ft/HD may move at the base speed of their choice (land, flight, swim, burrow, climb) during your turn.

Additionally, on an affected ally's next turn all their movement speeds are doubled for that one round as long as they are genuinely aiming to go through the Titan's gate.

Supreme Titanic Magic (Su): At level 21 Titans become masters of their magical abilities. From now on any spell-like abilities they gained from the Titan class that could previously be used 1/HD each day may now be used at will. This has no effect on other spell-like abilities either from other sources or from the Titan class that can only be used less than 1/round.

Titanic Magic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Level 1
    - Cure Light Wounds 1/HD each day.
    -- Upgrades to Cure Moderate Wounds at Level 4.
    -- Upgrades to Cure Serious Wounds at Level 8.
    -- Upgrades to Cure Critical wounds at Level 11.

Level 2
    - Summon Monster I 1/day.
    -- Upgrades to Summon Monster II etc. as a Sorcerer would gain access to that level of spells (II at Level 4, III at Level 6 ... IX at Level 18).
    -- Gain an additional use at Level 10 and a third use at Level 19.

- Silent Image 1/HD each day.
    -- Upgrades to Major Image at Level 8.
    -- Upgrades to Persistent Image at Level 13.

Level 3
    - Invisibility 1/HD each day.

Level 4
    - Levitate 1/HD each day.
    -- Upgrades to Fly at Level 12.

Level 5
    - Lightning Bolt 1/HD each day.
    -- Upgrades to Chain Lightning at Level 12.

Level 6
    - Dispel Magic 1/HD each day.
    -- Upgrades to Greater Dispel Magic at Level 13.

- Daylight [Good] or Deeper Darkness [Evil] 1/HD each day.

Level 7
    - Hold Person 1/HD each day.
    -- Upgrades to Hold Monster at Level 10.

- Invisibility Purge 1/HD each day.

Level 8
    -

Level 9
    - Charm Monster 1/HD each day.

- Remove Curse [Good] or Bestow Curse [Evil] 1/2HD each day.
    -- Remove Curse upgrades to Break Enchantment at Level 14. Bestow Curse does not upgrade.

Level 10
    -

Level 11
    - Holy Smite [Good] or Unholy Blight [Evil] 1/HD each day.

Level 12
    -

Level 13
    -

Level 14
    - Fire Storm 1/4HD each day.

Level 15
    - Word of Chaos [Chaos] or Dictum [Law] 2/day.
    -- Gain a third use at 19HD.

Level 16
    - Maze 1/5HD each day.

Level 17
    - Meteor Swarm 1/5HD each day.

- Greater Restoration [Good] or Crushing Hand [Evil] 1/5HD each day.

Level 18
    - Gate 1/7HD each day.
    -- If the Titan wishes to use the Calling option of this SLA he must pay the XP cost as usual.

Level 19
    - Etherealness 3/day.

---------------------------------
    Titans receive the SLAs that correspond with their alignment. Neutral aligned Titans may choose at Level 1 whether they wish to gain the [Good] or [Evil] & [Chaos] or [Law] SLAs, and this decision cannot be changed once made.

If the Titan's alignment changes they may not use these alignment based SLAs until they receive an Atonement spell from a creature of their new alignment.

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's my Titan. Not really that much to put in here, everything should be pretty self explanatory (the capstone is in epic levels, so it shouldn't be too bad, but maybe I should limit it to a certain amount of it's spell-likes). Basically it's a Battle Sorcerer except it's on a restricted spell list. Is it too much?
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-10-09 at 05:21 PM.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd really like you to find something other than GTDC. It's not thematically appropriate- maybe an ability that lets you use all metamagic SLA feats once more per day? The titan had a few of those, didn't he?
    Besides, dead levels are okay, so long as you're getting at least one cool SLA that level. But, eh, why stop with filling everything now?
    Anyways, once I get an answer on that, it's in.
    Also: changing the table will take 3 minutes, tops. That's not complicated. Trust me, I've done that kind of thing a dozen times.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-10-09 at 05:20 PM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

I'd really like you to find something other than GTDC. It's not thematically appropriate- maybe an ability that lets you use all metamagic SLA feats once more per day? The titan had a few of those, didn't he?
    Besides, dead levels are okay, so long as you're getting at least one cool SLA that level. But, eh, why stop with filling everything now?
    Anyways, once I get an answer on that, it's in.
    Also: changing the table will take 3 minutes, tops. That's not complicated. Trust me, I've done that kind of thing a dozen times.
    Ok, changing.

I was happy with dead levels, but was told to fill them with flavour abilities. So I did. Then I was told to make them more powerful. I'll leave the dead level then (you get 3 goes of Maze, +1 Con and +1 Cha).

Alright I'll do it.

Edit: Done.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-10-09 at 05:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #319

what would be the Cr for UNHOLY SCION(herrors of horror) it says
    1-4Hd=+1cr
    ,5-10=+2cr,
    11+=+3cr
    Last edited by monkman; 2010-10-09 at 05:40 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

1-4Hd=+1cr
    ,5-10=+2cr,
    11+=+3cr
    Whichever you want

21. - Top - End - #321

1-4Hd=+1cr
    ,5-10=+2cr,
    11+=+3cr
    Well, the half fiend had a similar CR, so I used the highest possible CR. I suggest you use my precedent, but those are just my thoughts on the matter

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

22. - Top - End - #322

Unholy scion(template)

HD= D8
    Special: This cannot be tooken as a first lv class and the creature must be evil.The creature cannot be undead, construct, element or an ooze.
    Spoiler
    Show

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Unholy Scion Body,SLA,

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    | Unholy Strike,

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Unholy Creature [/table]
    Skills4+intel modifer Class skills bluff,Diplomacy, intimidate, knowledge(arcana) knowledge(the planes), sense motive, spellcraft, and spot

Unholy Scion Body The Unholy scion can choose to beacome an outside and gains the outsider traits they also gains 2 claw that deal 1d6 for a medium creature. If they al already have claw attacks from another source, they gain increased damage as if a size larger.
    They also gains a deflection bonus of 1

SLA: Unholy Scoins get spell like abilites the save for these sla is 10+1/2hd + cha modifer
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]HD|Unholy magic required|ability|Per day
    1|lesser| Charm animal** or charm person|1/HD
    3|lesser|Desecrate|1/HD
    5|lesser|protection from good|1/2HD
    7|lesser|Major image, poison,Enervation|1/3HD
    9|intermediate|Dominate animal** or dominate person, baleful polymorph| 1/3Hd
    11|intermediate|Animate dead, true seeing|1/4hd
    13|intermediate|Unholy aura , unhallow|1/5HD
    13|Greater|Unholy aura |1/5Hd
    15|Greater|Harm|1/6HD
    17|Greater|Gate |1/7HD
    19|Greater|Polymorph any object 1/10 HD [/table]
    ** this is only allowed if the base creature is an animal or magical beast.
    For Gate the unholy scion is only allowed to use the Planar Travel.

If they multiclasses for an divine class they can count its Unholy scion levels as levels of that class for purposes of CL and for the purposes of learning new spells and geting new spell slots. So for example, a Unholy scion 3 who took 1 level of Favored soul could choose to have CL 4, get 3 2nd level spell slots, 1 1st level spell slot, 1 2nd level spell known and 1 0th level spell known. it wouldn't get the spell knowns and spell slots of a Favored soul 3 however.

Unholy strike:The unholy scoin is able to infuse dark energy into his weapon.This ability damages some unholy damage according to HD.This abilty works with any melee attacks .It may also work with touch spells.
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]HD|Damage
    1-3|1
    4-6|1d4
    7-9|1d8
    10-13|1d12
    14-16|2d8
    17-20|2d12[/table]

Unholy creature A Unholy scoin gains SR equal to 10+HD.
    DR good or magic,at 10th HD it turns into good and magic, it is equal to 1/2HD.
    Fast healing equal to half it's HD.
    Resitances to poison and mind affecting spells equal to HD and resitances to fire,cold,electricity and acid equal to 1/2HD.
    Last edited by monkman; 2010-10-13 at 06:50 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #323

Just wanted to note that I've read all your comments on Dream Larva and am actively revising it. Thanks very much for the critique.

If anyone CAN find a picture of the Dream Larva on the internet, that'd be great also, I couldn't find any...

Craft(Dreamweaving)? I'm not sure what it does, but the Dream Larva is described as having it, and it sounded really cool. I was kind of assuming it would be up to the player and the DM to find a fun use for it, maybe you can give people visions with it, with resultant small morale bonuses or penalties?
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-10-09 at 06:46 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

Many thanks to Qwernt for my amazing mind flayer avatar!

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, did you look it up in HoH? It seems like something that would be related to, or listed in reference to, the Oneiromancer ...

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

25. - Top - End - #325

Quote Originally Posted by mootoall View Post
    Hmm, did you look it up in HoH? It seems like something that would be related to, or listed in reference to, the Oneiromancer ...
    a what-o-mancer??

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #326
    Orc in the Playground

PHOELARCH

CLASS
    Spoiler
    Show

Hit Die: d8

PHOELARCH

1st|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Body of Fire, Heat

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Healing Fire, Fire Mastery, +1 Cha

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Rise from the Ashes, Death Throes

4th|
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Breath of Fire, +1 Cha

5th|
    +5
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Fiery Wings, Explosive Blade

6th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Blazing Transformation, Blessing of the Firebird, +1 Cha[/table]
    Class Skills: (4 + Int. Mod.) x 4 at first level. A Phoelarch’s class skills are Concentration, Diplomacy, Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Spot, and Tumble.

Class Features
    Proficiencies: Phoelarchs are proficient with all simple and martial weapons as well as light armor. They are also proficient with their own natural weapons.

Body of Fire: At first level, the phoelarch loses all racial bonuses, traits, and abilities and gains monstrous humanoid traits (essentially Darkvision 60ft.) The phoelarch is a medium monstrous humanoid with a base land speed of 30ft. Phoelarch’s can wear equipment, use weapons, and manipulate objects normally. Phoelarchs speak Common and Ignan and may choose an additional language to speak for every point of intelligence modifier. Phoelarchs are creatures of fire and have the [Fire] subtype meaning that they take no damage from attacks that deal fire damage and take 50% more damage from attacks that deal cold damage.

Lastly, the Phoelarch receives a bonus it its armor class in the form of a natural armor bonus equal to its constitution modifier.

Heat (Ex):The phoelarch’s body creates tremendous heat. At first level, an creature who touches the phoelarch, attacks them with a natural weapon or unarmed strike, or who is attacked by a phoelarch takes one point of fire damage for each point of the phoelarch’s charisma modifier.

Healing Fire (Su): Phoelarchs were born of fire. It forms a substantial part of their being. At second level, Phoelarchs can use fire to heal themselves. Whenever the Phoelarch would suffer damage from an attack which deals fire damage, he instead heals 1 point of damage for every 3 points of fire damage he would have taken. If this healing would cause the phoelarch to exceed its maximum hit point total, he gains the additional hit points in the form of temporary hit points; to a maximum number of twice the phoelarch's constitution score. The pholelarch's own abilities which deal fire damage (such as his Heat property and the SLA's granted by the Fire Mastery ability) do not cause him to heal in this way; though he is still immune this fire damage.

Fire Mastery (Sp): At second level, the Phoelarch gains a certain amount of control over the fire which suffuses his soul. May use a number of Spell-like abilities as indicated on the table below. The caster level for the phoelarch’s spell-like abilities is equal to his HD. The save DC for any of the phoelarch’s spell-like abilities is equal to 10 + the Phoelarch’s HD + the Phoelarch’s charisma modifier.

{table=head]HD |Spell-like Ability|Uses Per Day

1||
    1/day/2 HD (minimum 1)

3||
    1/day/2 HD

5||
    1/day/4 HD

7||
    1/day/4 HD

9||
    1/day/5 HD

11||
    1/day/6 HD

13||
    1/day/6 HD

15||
    1/day/6 HD

17||
    1/day/10 HD
    [/table]
    *The fire seeds ability uses drops of the own phoelarch's blood, though using this ability does not damage the phoelarch.

Ability Increase: Phoelarchs possess the incredible spirit of their phoenix ancestors. At each even numbered level of the class the Phoelarch’s charisma score increases by one. At 6th level these ability increase add up to a total of +3 Charisma.

Rise from the Ashes (Su): Phoelarchs are the descendents of the powerful phoenix.and carry the mythic creature’s power of rebirth. At 3rd level, when a phoelarch is slain (reduced to –10 hit points or below), its body is immolated, leaving nothing but ash and a chrysalis form in the shape of a small black glass egg roughly 6 inches across. The egg remains dormant for 24 hours, after which time it hatches, releasing a fully grown phoera (see below). The ash and chrysalis left behind when a phoelarch dies can be used to resurrect the phoelarch, but the creature cannot be raised by any means. Once a phoera has burst free from its chrysalis, the phoelarch cannot be brought back to life by any means. A gentle repose spell or similar magic cast on a chrysalis can keep the egg from hatching, allowing the phoelarch to possibly be brought back to life at a later time.

Once the gentle repose effect ends, however, the egg hatches 24 hours later. A wish or miracle spell used in conjunction with a resurrection effect can restore a phoelarch to life after its chrysalis has hatched.

The egg radiates faint transmutation magic but otherwise has no magical properties. The black egg has hardness equal to the phoelarch’s HD, 10 hit points for every 2 HD, and immunity to fire. When the egg hatches, the Phoelarch must make a will save (DC = 10 + the Phoelarch’s HD + the Phoelarchs Charisma modifier) to retain its memories. The DM may grant the phoelarch a bonus to this save if the phoelarch has sufficient reason to come back, such as a mission or purpose left incompleted. Most phoelarchs regard this as a natural course of its life and do not resist the transition without sufficient cause. If the phoelarch willingly commits suicide or allows itself to be killed, it is not allowed a save to retain its memories.

Upon rebirth, the phoelarch chooses whether to be reborn as either a phoelarch or a phoera. When in the form of a phoera, the phoelarch is a medium magical beast with a base land speed of 20ft. and a fly speed of 60ft. with average maneuverability. A phoera cannot speak verbally, but it can speak telepathically with any creature that has a language within a range of 100ft. The phoera cannot wield weapons or manipulate objects due to its lack of limbs capable of fine manipulation, though it does gain to natural claw attacks which deal 1d6 damage each and a bite attack which deals 1d8 damage. It is proficient with these natural attacks and loses proficiency with all other weapons. It retains its armor proficiencies, though it cannot wear armor not specially designed to fit it. If the phoera retains its memories from its life as a phoelarch, then it also retains its abilities granted by its other class levels. If it does not retain these memories, then it retains only the abilities granted by its levels in the Phoelarch monster class. After the phoelarch is transformed into phoera, he may retrain his feats, removing any feats which became useless due to his change.

Lastly, each death after the first cause the Phoelarch to lose a level until the loss of level cause the Phoelarch to be reduced below the level he is granted the rise from the ashes ability.

Death Throes (Su): When the Phoelarch is slain, the fire in its soul is explosively unleashed. At 3rd level, when the phoelarch is slain (reduced to -10 hit points or below) then each creature within 30ft. takes 2d6 damage for each HD the phoelarch possesses. Creatures who take damage may attempt a reflex save (DC = 10 + the Phoelarch’s HD + the Phoelarch’s charisma modifier) for half damage.

Breath of Fire (Su): At 4th level, a phoelarch may let loose a torrent of flame. The phoelarch gains a breath weapon which takes the form of a cone that extends 5ft. for every 2 HD the phoelarch possesses. This breath weapon requires a standard action to use and may only be used once every 1d4+1 rounds. This attack deals 1d8 damage for every 2 HD the pholarch possesses. Creature within the cone may also attempt a reflex save (DC = 10 + ½ Phoelarh’s HD + the Poelarch’s charisma modifier). Those that succeed take only half damage.

Fiery Wings (Su): The phoelarch may transform its arms into wings of brilliant fire, resembling those of a phoenix. The flame does not damage the phoelarch or any items it carries. Since its arms are transformed, it cannot hold items in its hands or cast spells while using the fire wings, but rings, bracers, and other items worn when the ability is activated still function normally. The wings allow the phoelarch to fly at a speed of 60 feet, with good maneuverability. It can charge but not run while flying, and it cannot carry more than a light load aloft. If the duration of the effect expires while it is still aloft, the phoelarch falls normally. A phoelarch can make unarmed attacks with the fire wings. A successful unarmed strike deals 2d6 points of fire damage in addition to its normal unarmed attack damage. This is a normal unarmed strike and does provoke an attack of opportunity unless the user also possesses the Improved Unarmed Strike feat The wings can be extinguished (and the effect canceled) by a quench spell, immersion in water, or a wind of hurricane or greater force. This ability may be activated as a swift action and lasts for 10 min./HD. The phoelarch may use this ability once a day for every 4 HD is possesses.

Explosive Blade (Su): By Focusing his power over fire onto his blade, a phoelarch can set his weapon ablaze. As a standard action, the pholearch can enhance a single weapon. The enchanted weapon weapon acts as a flaming burst weapon. On a critical hit, the weapon deals +1d10 points of bonus fire damage if the weapon’s critical multiplier is ×2, +2d10 if the multiplier is x3, and +3d10 if the multiplier is ×4. This effect does not stack with a flaming burst weapon special ability.

Blazing Transformation (Su): At 6th level, the phoelarch is the master of its own destiny and its own life. The phoelarch may switch from its humanoid phoelarch form to its bird-like phoera form as a full-round action. This ability works identically to the alternate form special ability with the exception that when transformed, the phoelarch may have an alternate set of feats which it utilizes in each form. The feats for the phoera form are chosen the first time it takes that form (either through a use of this ability or due to the Rise from the Ashes ability) and cannot be changed afterward.

In order for the transformation to take place, the phoelarch must shed its current form. Meaning that the original body essentially dies, forcing the creature to be reborn in its new form. Using this ability cause the phoelarch's death throes ability to be activated immolating the body and filling the surrounding area with flame as if the Phoelarch had been slain. The phoelarch may only use this ability once a day for every 5 HD it possesses.

Blessing of the Firebird (Su): Phoenixes are powerful creatures of magic and good. Their blessing has been known to make kings and heroes out of even the most humble of souls. Phoelarchs may give a blessing of their own, though their gift no where near as powerful as that of their ancestors. At sixth level, a phoelarch may gift any ally with the most precious power of the phoenix. The power of rebirth. The symbol of this power is a simple feather plucked from the phoelarch's plumes. As long as the ally keeps the charm on his person he gains immunity to fire damage. In addition if the ally holding the feather is slain, then the feather disintegrates, leaving behind nothing but fine ash. Immediately after his death, the fallen allies body erupts into a column of fire and burns for 10 minutes. Creatures within 5ft. of the column take fire damage equal to the Phoelarch's charisma modifier. After the initial 10 minutes the column extinguishes and leaves behind a pile of ash. Over the next 10 minutes the allies body slowly reforms and after the 10 minutes are up, the ally is risen as per the Raise Dead spell. The phoelarch may only give one charm at a time, if the one charm is expended through the raising of an ally, then the phoelarch must wait another year before he may give such a gift again. If the Phoelarch ever gives out more feathers than one charm, the oldest existing charm will spark harmlessly into flame, reduced to ash and being permanently destroyed. The phoelarch may also destroy the feather he has given out any time he wishes, regardless of distance or what plane it is on. Phoelarchs cannot benefit from their own blessing. At 10 HD, the phoelarch need only wait 6 month between giving out a new charm. At 15 HD, he need only wait 3 months; and finally at 20th HD, he need only wait 1 month in between gifting an ally with the feather. As the Phoelarch gains power, the magic it uses to resurrect its allies increases in strength. at 15 HD, the spell this power emulates increases to the Resurrection spell and increases further to True Resurrection at 20 HD.

COMMENTS
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to take a break from elemental for a while. I encourage anyone who wants to see an elemental to do it themselves or request it, I'm a little tired of them. I tried to do the Phoelarch, just tell me what I did wrong. Still need something to fill the dead 5th level. I was thinking of a generic Fiery Burst type ability where it blows up and deals damage in a radius, or maybe a Fiery Wings type ability.

Ok, edited a little to follow some suggestions from Hyudra. I'm not as smart as him so I probably didn't implement them correctly.

• Added a first level ability to give them a little something extra in combat early on.
    • Changed to full BAB
    • Tried to clear up Healing Fire.
    • Changed Rise from the Ashes so that each time the phoelarch is reborn as the opposite form.
    • Changed fiery wings to a simple spell-like ability instead of the complicated and restricted ability I originally had it as.
    • Breath of Fire now deals (1/2 HD)d6 damage.
    • Blessing of the Firebird now grants a bonus to the phoelarch when the gifted ally successfully defeats another creature.
    • Finally, gave the thing a alternate form ability combined with a immolation type ability.

It was late so I didn't feel like doing any real work, just made simple changes. I'll fix anything in the morning.

Edits: 10/22/2010
    • Heat altered to remove the part that makes creatures catch on fire. Additionally, the fire damage from contact extends to weapons the creature us wielding.
    • Burning Blade Removed
    • Fire Mastery spells spread and expanded. The phoelarch keeps gains SLA's until it gains meteor swarms at 17th level.
    • Healing Fire works with all fire damage. But specified so that the phoelarch cannot heal from fire damage with itself as a source.
    • Fiery Wings changed. SLA removed and ability fully described.
    • Explosive Blade works on all weapons, not just nonmagical. Specified that it does not stack with flaming burst property.
    • Rise from the Ashes edited to include a line stating that a phoelarch who commits suicide or allows itself to die will not come back with its memories.

Edits: 10/31/2010
    [List][*]
    [List]
    Last edited by AustontheGreat1; 2011-03-04 at 06:03 AM.

27. - Top - End - #327

Quote Originally Posted by mootoall View Post
    No, there's nothing in Heroes of Horror... and even if there was, there's not something on the internet. There's a picture in Epic Level Handbook, but I can't find it anywhere online.
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-10-09 at 07:17 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

Many thanks to Qwernt for my amazing mind flayer avatar!

28. - Top - End - #328

maybe allowed them to use flame of faith as a sla and maybe heat weapons for the empty lv, it would give them something like the phonix ash threat crystal(magic item compedium)

FLAME OF FAITH
    Spoiler
    Show
    Evocation
    Level: Cleric 3
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target: Nonmagical weapon touched
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No
    You can temporarily turn any single normal or masterwork
    melee weapon into a magical, fl aming one. For the
    duration of the spell, the weapon acts as a +1 fl aming burst
    weapon that deals an additional +1d6 points of fi re damage.
    On a critical hit, the weapon deals +1d10 points of bonus
    fi re damage if the weapon’s critical multiplier is ×2, +2d10
    points if the weapon’s multiplier is ×3, and +3d10 points if
    the multiplier is ×4. This spell effect does not stack with a
    weapon’s enhancement bonus or with a fl aming or fl aming
    burst weapon bonus.
    Material Focus: A lump of phosphorus, touched to the
    target weapon.
    Last edited by monkman; 2010-10-09 at 07:28 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #329
    Orc in the Playground

maybe allowed them to use flame of faith as a sla and maybe heat weapons for the empty lv, it would give them something like the phonix ash threat crystal(magic item compedium)

FLAME OF FAITH
    Spoiler
    Show
    Evocation
    Level: Cleric 3
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target: Nonmagical weapon touched
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No
    You can temporarily turn any single normal or masterwork
    melee weapon into a magical, fl aming one. For the
    duration of the spell, the weapon acts as a +1 fl aming burst
    weapon that deals an additional +1d6 points of fi re damage.
    On a critical hit, the weapon deals +1d10 points of bonus
    fi re damage if the weapon’s critical multiplier is ×2, +2d10
    points if the weapon’s multiplier is ×3, and +3d10 points if
    the multiplier is ×4. This spell effect does not stack with a
    weapon’s enhancement bonus or with a fl aming or fl aming
    burst weapon bonus.
    Material Focus: A lump of phosphorus, touched to the
    target weapon.
    Good Idea.

30. - Top - End - #330

Quote Originally Posted by MagicYop
    Dream Larva:
    If anyone CAN find a picture of the Dream Larva on the internet, that'd be great also, I couldn't find any...
    Just a suggestion:
    Spoiler
    Show

Unholy Scion
    Some general comments/corrections:
    • Spelling Errors: Unholly, Scoin,
    • Format errors: There's a gap in your table, you didn't capitalize all ability names in the table (and elsewhere),
    • Strike doesn't specify any of the information a player would need. Range, what kind of action is it?
    • It's sort of dull. Nothing to make it stand out. The capstone ability isn't all that enticing, especially since most classes that will prestige into Unholy Scion will have many of them.
    • Are you looking for a picture of the pregnant mother or of the already born child?

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by AustontheGreat1 View Post
    PHOELARCH
    • Seems really weak at 1st level.
    • I'd reword healing fire from "Whenever the Phoelarch takes damage from an attack which deals fire damage, instead of taking no damage, he instead..." to "Whenever the Phoelarch would suffer fire damage, he instead..."
      • This is a bit confusing though, since it's already established in the 'Phoelarch Body' that he takes no damage from fire.
    • I see abuse potential in healing fire. A player could keep a torch or lantern on their person to intentionally damage themselves and bring themselves up to 10 hitpoints higher than their maximum between every encounter.
      • You could Specify 'damaged from a hostile source' to prevent most abuse, but still not ideal.
      • In any case, I'd change the max on temporary hitpoints to, say, twice the player's Con bonus. Scales better.
    • Rise from the Ashes, at a glance, looks like a pretty hefty class penalty. Am I not reading it right?
    • Is there no way to regain humanoid form?
    • Death 'Throws' is probably better named Death Throes, which is the proper term.
    • Not sure if I like third level. Both abilities are based around the player dying, which is something best avoided.
    • Breath of Fire is weak. I might suggest a 1d4 round wait between breaths, which would allow more room for metabreath feats. The damage could stand to scale faster.
    • Fiery Wings packs way too many restrictions into the ability. Other classes get actual flight at the same level. If you don't want the Phoelarch to become a 'always flying above the battlefield' kind of character, perhaps alternate uses of the Fiery Wings ability?
    • As a capstone ability, Blessing of the Firebird isn't that exciting. A +1 luck bonus is pretty similar to a Bless spell, which is a first level spell.