New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1491
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Improved Monster Classes- Still Alive, and taking requests!

Eh, I guess, still seems quite party-unfriendly to me.

A couple of thing need clarifying as well, like if the living spell has the hand track and is a crushing hand, say for example, does it gain the strength score of a crushing hand (35) and does it affect people as by the spell entirely or does it include its own abilities? (Size, for example)

Basically, which takes precedence, spell description or the living spell's own powers? If it's the latter, then omething like crushing hand is essentially just giving grapple checks when it engulfs things, which is a lot weaker than something like the disjunction which would completely ruin an item-dependent enemy.
    Dragonborn Gnome avatar by the ever-lovely Derjuin!

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

After a decent hiatus, I return with another demon, this time the solamith from MM5. As always, get to it when you can and give constructive criticism.

Demon, Solamith

Spoiler
    Show

HD: d8
    {table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Abilities
    1|+1|+2|+0|+0|Demonic Body, Soulfire, +2 Con
    2|+2|+3|+0|+0|Demon, Infernal Summoning, +1 Con
    3|+3|+3|+1|+1|Soulfire Retort, +1 Con
    4|+4|+4|+1|+1|Abyssal Defenses, Widen Soulfire, +1 Con
    5|+5|+4|+2|+2|Growth, +1 Con
    6|+6|+5|+2|+2|Maximize Soulfire, +1 Con
    7|+7|+5|+3|+3|Foreign Soulfire, +1 Con
    8|+8|+6|+3|+3|Explodomania, +1 Con[/table]

Skill Points at 1st level: (2+Int modifier)X4
    Skill Points: 2+Int modifier

Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis)

Proficiencies: simple weapons, no armor or shields

Ablitites:
    Demonic Body: The solamith loses all racial traits and becomes a Medium Outsider.
    It has a speed of 30 feet, darkvision out to 60 feet, and vulnerability to cold.
    It possesses two slam attacks as primary weapons that deal 1d4+Str damage.
    The solamith can speak Abyssal and Common. It can learn Draconic, Infernal, and Celestial as bonus languages.
    The solamith gains a natural armor bonus equal to its Constitution modifier.

Ability Bonuses: The solamith gains a +2 bonus to Constitution at first level and a +1 bonus to Constitution at each other level

Soulfire(Su):At 1st level, as a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity, the solamith can deal itself 2 damage/2HD to tear flesh from its body and hurl it up to 10 feet/HD with perfect accuracy. When it lands, the flesh explodes in a 20 foot radius burst, dealing 1d6/2HD damage, half of which is fire, which allows a Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2HD + Con mod) for half damage. The solamith is immune to the effects of its own soulfire.

Demon(Ex):At 2nd level, the solamith gains resistance to electricity and a bonus on saves against poison equal to HD, and resistance to fire, acid and cold equal to 1/2HD. In addition, it gains telepathy 10 feet plus 10 feet for each extra HD from here. Finally, it gains the evil and chaotic subtypes and its weapons/natural attacks count as evil and chaotic for bypassing DR.

Infernal Summoning(Sp): At 2nd level, the solamith gains the ability to summon its brethren. Once per day the solamith can cast Summon Monster I as an SLA, with a duration of 1 minute/level instead of 1 round/level. Every 2 class levels from there on, the ability upgrades to the next summon monster spell, culminating at Summon Monster IV at level 8. HD outside from solamith HD count as 1/2 class levels for this purpose, so with 8 levels of solamith and 12 levels of anything else, the solamith can get up to Summon Monster VII.
    The solamith can only summon CE or NE monsters. Add solamith to the list of monsters that can be summoned for Summon Monster VII.

Soulfire Retort(Su):At 3rd level, whenever the solamith takes damage from a melee attack, it can unleash a 15 foot cone of soulfire as a move action on its next turn. The cone deals the same damage as standard soulfire and allows a Reflex save for half damage (10 + 1/2HD + Con modifer). This use of soulfire costs no life beyond the damage taken to trigger the Retort. No matter how many successful melee attacks are made against the solamith, it only gains one use of soulfire retort on its turn.

Abyssal Defenses(Ex): At 4th level, the solamith gains DR/magic or good and fast healing equal to 1/2HD.

Widen Soulfire(Su):At 4th level, the solamith can choose to take more damage when it uses soulfire. For every 2 extra points of damage taken when using soulfire in this way, the solamith can increase the radius of the burst by 5 feet. The solamith can only deal damage to itself this way up to 2 points/2HD.

Growth(Ex):At 5th level, the solamith grows one size category. Its land speed increases to 40 feet and its natural armor bonus increases by one.

Maximize Soulfire(Su):At 6th level can choose to take more damage when it uses soulfire for a different effect. For every 4 extra points of damage taken when using soulfire in this way, the solamith can have one die deal maximum damage. Maximize soulfire can be used alongside widen soulfire, but each ability must be paid individually.

Foreign Soulfire(Su):At 7th level, the solamith gains the ability to use the flesh of others to fuel its soulfire, but at a higher cost. When making a soulfire attack, if there is a willing ally or summoned monster in reach, the solamith can deal damage to that ally equal to double the cost to use its soulfire (4/2HD for standard, +4/5ft for widen, +8/die for maximize) and make the attack at no cost to itself. In the case of a summoned monster, the creature is automatically destroyed and only provides enough flesh for a single, unaugmented shot.

Explodomania(Ex):At 8th level, the solamith can make iterative attacks with its soulfire as though it were a manufactured weapon, using its BAB to determine how many attacks it can make. Each soulfire attack must be paid for individually.

Changelog
    Spoiler
    Show
    11/16: Removed Burning Hunger. Cleaned up stats with standardized demon traits and summoning. Cost on soulfire powers lowered. Abyssal Defenses cleaned up and lowered to level 5. Foreign Soulfire added.

11/21: Scaling effects on Widen and Maximize with slightly lowered costs.
    11/24: Cost of base Soulfire increases with damage die; average 1/2 the damage of attack to activate. Cost decreased slightly to not escalate out of control; original monster pays 5 for 4d6, class pays 8 for same.

1/14: New formatting. Abilities shuffled to different levels.

2/5: Infernal Summoning re-worded to upgrade to the next level instead of being in addition. Grammatical errors fixed in Demon. Common added to starting languages and list of secondary languages added.

2/6: Final changes made.
    Last edited by Makiru; 2011-02-11 at 09:42 PM.
    Proud beta-tester for Pirates vs. Ninjas

Contributions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't have enough templates in your life? Let's Read the Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition!(Abandoned)

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In the employer/BBEG's mansion.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Niezck View Post
    Funny thing? Living Disjunction giving the party a group hug.

Just wondering though, what classes is a living spell meant to go to after being ... itself? Like most classes here have a pretty distinct path outside of the class, things they get better at by being the monster they are, but the Living Spell seems to only be able to be a living spell, since it can't use weapons or anything, presumably can't use verbal or somatic components and, well, is a massive ball of arcane energy.

Also, would something like Transmute Rock to Mud or whatever be transmuting the ground the living spell walks (or is) on etc?

And finally, and probably most importantly, how on earth can a living spell be party-friendly? For the most part it's either passively destructive or has a total inability to interact normally. (Take the disjunction one for example, you'd have to be constantly wary of standing near it or touching it plus the fact it can barely speak and use items or whatever, makes it kinda difficult to party with.)

Perhaps Telepathy may be in order? Or some kind of "anima limb" to cast spells and wield weapons etc?
    Well, really, it could go any number of ways. I admit that its options are limited, but for example, it could go into Monk (Probably a fixed version) and there are any number of non-core or homebrew classes which work great. It could go into warlock or another spellcasting class, or it could go into any class which doesn't use weapons, like the monk.

That's correct, if it was a living Transmute Mud to Rock, then whenever the spell directly touches mud, the mud turns to rock.

I don't really see how it's any more party unfriendly than, say, a Bleakborn, or a Vasuthant. If you're playing a monstrous party, then all the players are going to have their niche, and some of them have harmful auras or abilities. And a Living Spell which could-- what do you want, for it to turn off its abilities? --A living spell which could turn off its abilities is no longer a living spell. It's an Ooze with spell-like abilities.

1. There's nothing to say that it can barely speak, so that's not an issue.
    2. It can use items just fine, it simply wields them in a bizarre way.
    3. No, it can't wield weapons, but whoever wanted to play a living entity of magic and then not be able to use that magic because you're banging an enemy with a metal stick.
    4. If you're in the party with a Living Disjunction, then yes, stumbling into it is a no-no. But they get flight fairly early, so by the time they are a Disjunction, they can take precautions to make sure this doesn't happen-- simply rest a couple feet above the rest of the party.
    5. It can cast spells with somatic components, why shouldn't it be able to? If it goes into a class which can do that, I mean.

Eh, I guess, still seems quite party-unfriendly to me.

A couple of thing need clarifying as well, like if the living spell has the hand track and is a crushing hand, say for example, does it gain the strength score of a crushing hand (35) and does it affect people as by the spell entirely or does it include its own abilities? (Size, for example)

Basically, which takes precedence, spell description or the living spell's own powers? If it's the latter, then omething like crushing hand is essentially just giving grapple checks when it engulfs things, which is a lot weaker than something like the disjunction which would completely ruin an item-dependent enemy.
    That is a good point, I'll have to think about it. Perhaps what I'll do is... ah, I know. I'll give the Crushing Hand's strength as a bonus on grapple checks. (+12) but it will remain its own size.
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-11-16 at 08:37 AM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

Many thanks to Qwernt for my amazing mind flayer avatar!

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh right, I must've missed the part about speaking and fine manipulation, my bad

Hmm, perhaps just a flat-out strength boost? Because, really, the hand line seems to be a lot weaker than something like the death line or the antimagic line. All it really gives is free grapple attempts, and anything with Freedom of Movement just laughs at you. The mini-hands idea is quite cool though.

Also, what happens if a Living Spell were to go into an antimagic field? Not sure if its mentioned anywhere, but I don't recall seeing it.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Ogre in the Playground

More interestingly, what happens when a Living Spell with the anti-magic line goes into an AMF?

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

6. - Top - End - #1176

Oh right, I must've missed the part about speaking and fine manipulation, my bad

Hmm, perhaps just a flat-out strength boost? Because, really, the hand line seems to be a lot weaker than something like the death line or the antimagic line. All it really gives is free grapple attempts, and anything with Freedom of Movement just laughs at you. The mini-hands idea is quite cool though.

Also, what happens if a Living Spell were to go into an antimagic field? Not sure if its mentioned anywhere, but I don't recall seeing it.
    That might work, I could say that they get their Charisma + Wisdom modifier as a bonus to strength. I agree, the hand line is probably the least worked on.

The second is an interesting point. I'm thinking that dispel attempts should deal damage to them equal to the result on the dispel check, and an antimagic field nullifies their powers. A disjunction will deal damage equal to the save DC? Does that sound okay?

Quote Originally Posted by mootoall View Post
    More interestingly, what happens when a Living Spell with the anti-magic line goes into an AMF?
    That is interesting. What if I made it so they subtract their caster level from all damage that dispel attempts would deal to them? If their caster level is high enough against a low level caster, it could actually heal them.

Also, the list! All those monsters which have been critiqued and not edited by the creator for over a month have been and will be marked as abandoned, though I will retain the link to the critique for if they ever return to the monster.

Unfinished Monsters by Original Post Date
    Spoiler
    Show

Water Elemental1 - 10/02/2010
    Elder Treant3 - 10/03/2010
    Thunderbird3 - 10/05/2010
    Malebranche3 - 10/16/2010
    Dwarf Ancestor3 - 10/18/2010
    SHADOWPERSON1 - 10/19/2010
    Black Dragon1 - 10/19/2010
    Lammasu2 - 10/19/2010
    Arcadian Avenger1 - 10/20/2010
    Purple Worm2 - 10/21/2010
    The Bleakborn1 - 10/23/2010
    Giths2 - 10/23/2010
    Brass Golem2 - 10/24/2010
    The WereScorpion2 - 10/27/2010
    Gargoyle2 - 10/27/2010
    Maug1 - 10/29/2010
    Cheshire Cat1 - 10/30/2010
    Wereraptor2 - 10/30/2010
    Death Knight1 - 10/31/2010 [Revised Class]
    Osyluth (Bone Devil)3 - 10/31/2010
    Illurien2 - 11/04/2010
    Shade2 - 11/04/2010
    Half-Elemental1 - 11/07/2010
    Warforged Charger1 - 11/07/2010
    Were-elephant1 - 11/11/2010
    Gerivar3 - 11/12/2010
    Warforged Octopus1 - 11/13/2010
    Ragewalker1 - 11/14/2010
    Anarchic Creature2 - 11/14/2010
    Living Spell1 - 11/14/2010 [Originally By ChumpLump]
    Valkyrie1 - 11/15/2010
    Solamith1 - 11/16/2010

1: Awaiting critique or approval from Gorgondantess or other approved members(Hyudra, ChumpLump), or discussion from everyone.
    2: Has been critiqued by Gorgondantess or other approved members (Hyudra, ChumpLump), and is awaiting the user to make the requested changes or otherwise edit.
    3: Abandoned, either temporarily or permanently.
    Linked Numbers: If the number next to the class is a link, that means that it leads either to the current critique of the class (If the number is a 2) or to a post with the proposed changes by the user (If the number is a 1).
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-11-16 at 03:02 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have made the requested changes to bleakborn. Could you update the list please?

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Ogre in the Playground

I think perhaps some way to ignore freedom of movement for the hand line would be needed, otherwise a 4th level spell can literally shut it down entirely.

Either that or make it so that the hand line gets free slam attacks by engulfing or something, since it is basically a giant fist later on.

Hmm, I think, to be honest, the antimagic stuff is good as it is, making it deal even more damage as well as being antimagic woud just make it better than all of the others. The trick, I think, will be to bring the others up to the level of the antimagic line.

9. - Top - End - #1179

Quote Originally Posted by Makiru View Post
    After a decent hiatus, I return with another demon, this time the solamith from MM5. As always, get to it when you can and give constructive criticism.

Demon, Solamith

Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Abilities
    1|+1|+2|+0|+0|Demonic Body, Soulfire, +1 Str, +1 Con
    2|+2|+3|+0|+0|Abyssal Defenses, +1 Con
    3|+3|+3|+1|+1|Soulfire Retort, +1 Con
    4|+4|+4|+1|+1|Growth, Widen Soulfire, +1 Str, +1 Con
    5|+5|+4|+2|+2|Burning Hunger, +1 Con
    6|+6|+5|+2|+2|Maximize Soulfire, +1 Con
    7|+7|+5|+3|+3|Summon Tanar'ri, +1 Con
    8|+8|+6|+3|+3|Explodomania, +1 Str, +1 Con[/table]

HD: d8

Skill Points: 2+Int modifier

Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Spot

Ablitites:

Demonic Body: The solamith loses all racial traits and becomes a Medium Outsider with the Chaotic, Evil, and Tanar'ri subtypes.
    It has a speed of 30 feet, darkvision out to 60 feet, and vulnerability to cold.
    It possesses two slam attacks as primary weapons that deal 1d4+Str damage.
    The solamith is proficient in simple weapons, but not armor or shields.
    The solamith can speak Abyssal, Celestial, and Draconic, and possesses telepathy out to 100 feet.
    The solamith gains a natural armor bonus equal to its Constitution modifier.
    Maybe I'm wrong. But I believe you should do this using Demon Traits as a separate class feature, similar to how the other demons have it, and how the Dream Larva has Abomination Traits. Not all of it, I mean all the stuff that all demons have. (Like telepathy).

Ability Bonuses: The solamith gains a +1 bonus to Constitution at each level and a +1 bonus to Strength at 1st, 4th, and 8th level.

Soulfire(Su): As a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity, the solamith can deal itself 5 damage to tear flesh from its body and hurl it up to 20 feet/2HD with perfect accuracy. When it lands, the flesh explodes in a 20 foot radius burst, dealing 1d6/2HD damage, half of which is fire, Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2HD + Con mod) for half. The solamith is immune to the effects of its own soulfire and that of any other solamith. SWEET ability. If I may, 20 feet/2HD? I suggest just putting it at 10 feet/1HD instead.

Abyssal Defenses(Ex): The solamith's demonic heritage begins to manifest itself as a number of defensive abilities.
    It gains DR/magic or good equal to 1/2 HD.
    It gains SR equal to 11 + HD.
    It gains resistance to acid and cold equal to its HD.
    It gains resistance to fire and electricity equal to double its HD.
    It gains immunity to poison.
    It gains Fast Healing equal to 1/2 HD. Ah, here we go, here's the demon traits I was talking about earlier. I suggest you put telepathy and such here and rename it so it matches with what other Tanar'ri have.

Soulfire Retort(Su): Whenever the solamith takes damage from a melee attack, it can unleash a 15 foot cone of soulfire as a swift action on its next turn. The cone deals the same damage as standard soulfire and is Reflex half (10 + 1/2HD + Con modifer). No matter how many successful melee attacks are made against the solamith, it only gains one use of soulfire retort on its turn. Hmm... perhaps this could be... better implemented. I'm thinking that as a swift action is a little bit inconvenient. Instead, I suggest something like this:

Once every round, when the Solamith takes damage from a melee attack, it can unleash a 15 foot cone of soulfire in the direction of the attack. It deals the same damage as your normal soulfire with the normal save.

Growth(Ex): The solamith grows one size category. It gains reach of 10 feet, its land speed increases to 40 feet, slam damage die increases to 1d6, and its natural armor bonus increases by one. I did this same thing with the Dream Larva and Gorgon said it was a no-no. Apparently, all you need to put is that it grows a size category, and I suggest you specifically mention what size it is when it grows. Though the natural armor increase I think is okay to say. If you're going to increase slam, it increases by one step, not to 1d6.

Widen Soulfire(Su): By taking an extra 5 points of damage when using soulfire, the solamith can increase the radius of the burst to 40 feet. SUPER FUN! Yet... limiting. Instead, do it like this. You can increase the radius of the burst by dealing yourself extra damage. You gain +20 feet of radius for every 5 points of damage you deal to yourself. (So deal yourself 10 extra damage and it's a 60 foot blast.) Or, if that's overpowering, make it scale. So the first 20 foot increase costs 5 HP, the second costs 6 HP, etc.

Burning Hunger(Su): Any creature making a melee attack against the solamith with a non-reach weapon takes fire damage equal to the solamith's Constitution modifier. Nice, but a feels off for some reason. Perhaps you want a 5 foot aura, and every creature standing within takes the damage each turn? I just can't visualize it how you currently have it. Is the damage from their blood spurting onto the attack? From the heat flowing through the weapon to the attacker? From simply standing near the Solamith?

Maximize Soulfire(Su): By dealing an extra 10 points of damage to itself when using soulfire, the solamith can have the burst deal maximum damage. Maximize soulfire can be used alongside widen soulfire, but each ability must be paid individually. (A widened, maximized soulfire would deal 20 damage to use). With you current abilities, it would cost 15, actually. Instead of this, I suggest you have the ability to empower your soulfire-- like, for every additional 5 HP you deal to yourself, it deals 1d6 more damage.

Summon Tanar'ri(Sp): 1/day, the solamith can attempt to summon 1d2 solamiths with a 40% chance of success. This is the equivalent of a 4th level spell, CL 11. Is this how it normally works? I feel like... I feel like you want to be summoning lower rank Tanar'ri. Couldn't the Solamiths just summon their own Solamiths?

Explodomania(Ex): The solamith can make iterative attacks with its soulfire as though it were a manufactured weapon, using its BAB to determine how many attacks it can make. Each soulfire attack must be paid for individually. Ooh, fun!

This thing relies on HP like nobody's business. For that reason, I'd suggest a supernatural boost to their HP. Either give them a certain number of bonus HP per HD, or give them their charisma modifier as a bonus to HP per HD?

I also feel like this thing wants to have a small amount of fast healing at level 8. Like, maybe even only 1. But enough that I can rip off my skin and throw it and then have a chance to slowly recuperate and be able to make another attack.

My thoughts in Purple, because all the cool kids are using red.

I think perhaps some way to ignore freedom of movement for the hand line would be needed, otherwise a 4th level spell can literally shut it down entirely.

Either that or make it so that the hand line gets free slam attacks by engulfing or something, since it is basically a giant fist later on.

Hmm, I think, to be honest, the antimagic stuff is good as it is, making it deal even more damage as well as being antimagic woud just make it better than all of the others. The trick, I think, will be to bring the others up to the level of the antimagic line.
    Good idea for the fist, I'll make it work somehow.

But, nonononono, you're misunderstanding the idea. I'm not buffing Antimagic track, I'm making it so anti-magic spells deal damage to ANY living spell. So if a 17th level wizard casts Dispel Magic on a Living Spell, the Living Spell takes damage.
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-11-16 at 12:04 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Ogre in the Playground

Ahhh, I see what you were getting at. I'm having a bit of a stupid day, I think.

Also, the uhhh ... (forgot the name) ... trap line? The one with forcecages etc, anyway. Its Track Secret, I think, hints at it trapping them irrespective of Freedom of Movement etc, but it's never explicitly stated. You may want to spell it out if that's the case.

In general though, I really love the Living Spell idea and the way you've done it - really looking forwards to playing a living hand when it's all been completed!

11. - Top - End - #1181

Ahhh, I see what you were getting at. I'm having a bit of a stupid day, I think.

Also, the uhhh ... (forgot the name) ... trap line? The one with forcecages etc, anyway. Its Track Secret, I think, hints at it trapping them irrespective of Freedom of Movement etc, but it's never explicitly stated. You may want to spell it out if that's the case.

In general though, I really love the Living Spell idea and the way you've done it - really looking forwards to playing a living hand when it's all been completed!
    D'aw, shucks, thank you.

Yeah, that's the intention... I'll make that more clear, thank you.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Orc in the Playground

Just noticed how many of the creatures on the unfinished list were mine.

Water Elemental is not abandoned; by me at least. It was more or less Ok'd and waiting to be added to the list.

Shadowperson Telepathy ability changed to at-will at 5 HD as suggested here.

Both Ragewalker and Half-Elemental have been modified and are still awaiting comment.

Man, I'm sorry for posting more stuff when there are still half-finished classes of mine up. I won't post anything else.

13. - Top - End - #1183

Quote Originally Posted by AustontheGreat1 View Post
    Just noticed how many of the creatures on the unfinished list were mine.

Water Elemental is not abandoned; by me at least. It was more or less Ok'd and waiting to be added to the list.

Shadowperson Telepathy ability changed to at-will at 5 HD as suggested here.

Both Ragewalker and Half-Elemental have been modified and are still awaiting comment.

Man, I'm sorry for posting more stuff when there are still half-finished classes of mine up. I won't post anything else.
    Oh, okay, I changed the markings to be as they should.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm a little confused about something ... The Living Spell table says that its primary track gets up to level 6 at 20th level, level 4 secondary and level 2 tertiary. So is this the level of spell that their track gives? Like a level 2 tertiary hand track would give unseen servant etc?

And if that's the case, how do you get beyond 6? Maybe I've missed something again (I'm failing quite hard today at noticing things, so it's likely), but I can't see a way to boost the level beyond 6?

15. - Top - End - #1185

I'm a little confused about something ... The Living Spell table says that its primary track gets up to level 6 at 20th level, level 4 secondary and level 2 tertiary. So is this the level of spell that their track gives? Like a level 2 tertiary hand track would give unseen servant etc?

And if that's the case, how do you get beyond 6? Maybe I've missed something again (I'm failing quite hard today at noticing things, so it's likely), but I can't see a way to boost the level beyond 6?
    Well, basically, you get those maximum levels, right? 6, 4, 2, at level 20. You additionally get three class features: First Circle, Second Circle, and Third Circle. These let you, respectively, for a certain number of rounds each day, raise the maximum level of your track by 1, 2, or 3 levels.

Now, check out the Upgrades list under Anima. If you wish, you can opt to have lower level spells in your Secondary and Tertiary tracks, and bring your level 6 primary track up to a level 9 primary track permanently, instead of just for a few rounds each day using the circles. Or you could focus on two tracks and have something like 2 level 6's.

The upgrades list is a fix for quite a lot of issues and allows for some fun customization. Check it out. It's right before the Tracks list in the Anima class feature.
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-11-16 at 01:02 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Ogre in the Playground

Ahhh, I get it. I'm just gonna stop now, before I fail any more spot checks

Looks good though, so you can end up with like 6/4/2 or a single 9 or 6/5 or whatever.

One last thing though - the metasculpt ability says you can change your shape so long as each component is touching the rest of the components at all times ... What use could this actually have in-game? I can imagine that you could take humanoid form or something, or become a cube instead oaf a sphere, but I took the intention to be that you could become a line or a cone or whatever, but that doesn't seem to be the case? If you only had to touch one of the other component pieces, that'd work, but as it stands you have to basically remain in a shape where each block is touching each other block, which is kinda difficult outside of a sphere or cube.

Maybe I'm just reading too much into it ... *Shrug*

17. - Top - End - #1187

Ahhh, I get it. I'm just gonna stop now, before I fail any more spot checks

Looks good though, so you can end up with like 6/4/2 or a single 9 or 6/5 or whatever.

One last thing though - the metasculpt ability says you can change your shape so long as each component is touching the rest of the components at all times ... What use could this actually have in-game? I can imagine that you could take humanoid form or something, or become a cube instead oaf a sphere, but I took the intention to be that you could become a line or a cone or whatever, but that doesn't seem to be the case? If you only had to touch one of the other component pieces, that'd work, but as it stands you have to basically remain in a shape where each block is touching each other block, which is kinda difficult outside of a sphere or cube.

Maybe I'm just reading too much into it ... *Shrug*
    Basically, it allows you to act much like a swarm. You can pour yourself through tiny little holes, or stretch yourself out into a super long but very thin wave of rolling death and disaster, or even make yourself a wall to block someone's passage. Endless possibilities!
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Ogre in the Playground

Regarding the Solamith's summoning ability, it's generally stated that the summoned creatures can't use their own summoning ability. Also, state what the caster level is(how long the summon lasts). Also question: In regards to summoning abilities, would you be summoning the official WotC monster, or a lower HD Monster Class one?

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

19. - Top - End - #1189

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    Hmmm... I'd like you to exchange escape detection for something more... useful. 'Yanki is still getting psionic dimension door, which is pretty much the best possible PLA you could've given it.
    I beleive the 'Yanki as written get Psionic Dimension Door.

Do you want me to:
    A) Remove it? I don't think that would be appropriate.
    B) Increase HD required? 2 at most seems appropriate.
    C) Give the 'Zerai access to Dimension Door as well? I'm Okay with this.
    D) Both C and B? Also reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    Chumplump: I'd like you to write up some Lycan-building guidelines, and make a really, really standardized Lycan. Forget every lycan class made- they can be revised. I want both animal and hybrid form to be worthwhile. I want standardized growth tables. I want X ability at level X to be usable in X form (so for example, the third level ability usable in animal form only). You have permission to revise any lycanthrope classes on the list- any who don't want theirs to be revised by Chump, speak now or forever hold your peace.
    Sound good? Write up some guidelines, and I'll include it in the first post.
    Working on it as we speak.

Unrelated Note: My personal project has arrived at Half-Golems, a 'translation' from my work to this projects would be Super-easy, and I believe I have almost every MM Golem Stated out. This would be an addition to the Half-Golem as is. I will of course wait to post this until the Gith are done, if this sort of thing would be approved by the project.

Basically alternate Healed by energy types, Construction Material, and Golem Weapons.

What can I say, I love templates that offer options.
    Come with me, time out of mind...

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Titan in the Playground

Should the Brain in a Jar get the pseudo-spellcaster ability for Psion/Wilder manifesting?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

21. - Top - End - #1191

Right, finally got my internet router to work, did the bits on Black Dragon and Cheshire Cat that needed doing, and am waiting to get feedback. Also, that Living Spell class looks cool, so well done! It just seems a bit *complicated to me.

*Will not mention he doesn't get "simple" things like ToB either

22. - Top - End - #1192

Quote Originally Posted by ChumpLump View Post
    Unrelated Note: My personal project has arrived at Half-Golems, a 'translation' from my work to this projects would be Super-easy, and I believe I have almost every MM Golem Stated out. This would be an addition to the Half-Golem as is. I will of course wait to post this until the Gith are done, if this sort of thing would be approved by the project.

Basically alternate Healed by energy types, Construction Material, and Golem Weapons.

What can I say, I love templates that offer options.
    That sounds awesome! I like option classes too. Looking forward to it!

Just a head's up, somewhere in this thread (can't remember where) someone mentioned something about wanting to play a Half-Force Golem-- so if you're creating your addendum to the class, you might want to add Half-Force to the options. Just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeckoKing View Post
    Right, finally got my internet router to work, did the bits on Black Dragon and Cheshire Cat that needed doing, and am waiting to get feedback. Also, that Living Spell class looks cool, so well done! It just seems a bit *complicated to me.

*Will not mention he doesn't get "simple" things like ToB either
    Okay, marked that you made the changes on the list. And thank you for supporting the Living Spell! Yes, the mechanic is a bit complex, but I think it allows for a fair amount of versatility without breaking the game.

Overall I'm pleased so far the the response about the Living Spell has been overall positive! Yay!
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-11-16 at 03:05 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

23. - Top - End - #1193

Snazzy. The sooner I can start on the T-Rex, the better.

24. - Top - End - #1194

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Should the Brain in a Jar get the pseudo-spellcaster ability for Psion/Wilder manifesting?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicyop View Post
    That sounds awesome! I like option classes too. Looking forward to it!

Just a head's up, somewhere in this thread (can't remember where) someone mentioned something about wanting to play a Half-Force Golem-- so if you're creating your addendum to the class, you might want to add Half-Force to the options. Just a suggestion.
    Have it already written up, I figured grafting raw force to your arm-socket would be too much fun to pass up. (Force Golems are raw force, yes?)

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Ogre in the Playground

@Brain In a Jar question:

I was told by Draken a while back (in the last thread I think) that it specifically didn't because of the large amount of PLAs it gets.
    Last edited by Niezck; 2010-11-16 at 03:38 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Firbolg in the Playground

Have it already written up, I figured grafting raw force to your arm-socket would be too much fun to pass up. (Force Golems are raw force, yes?)
    No. Metal containing a force elemental spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

27. - Top - End - #1197

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    No. Metal containing a force elemental spirit.
    Less cool, more reasonable.
    Except the concept of a 'Force Elemental.'
    I have no Idea why a Golem Made of Raw Force makes more sense to me than an Elemental made of raw Force.

Thanks anyhow.

Edit This project is fairly sizable. Do you think it could support it's own chat thread on the side? Might make critiquing and Posting monsters easier... Less proposals and conversation mucking up the gears... Just a thought.
    Last edited by AugustNights; 2010-11-16 at 03:37 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Firbolg in the Playground

Less cool, more reasonable.
    Except the concept of a 'Force Elemental.'
    I have no Idea why a Golem Made of Raw Force makes more sense to me than an Elemental made of raw Force.

Thanks anyhow.
    Well, the book says the elemental comes from the Elemental Plane of Earth. Far as I can see, it's just a bit of magical empowerment to make it able to use the force-related abilities (book says "Force golems are imbued with the power to manipulate kinetic energy and raw force" and in the construction section "the creater must lure an elemental spirit from the Elemental Plane of Earth")

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Ogre in the Playground

Y'know, I think the Living Spell may need a bit of clarification in regards to it affecting people with slams, engulfing etc.

Take the hand line for instance (guess which is my favorite ^^), a slam with a low-level hand (say unseen servant) does what exactly? Carries some of their equipment? Equally, a high level hand can do a few different things, some of which aren't exactly targetted (like interposing, how would that work?). Just saying "affected by the anima" etc seems quite vague in some cases.

Another example that springs to mind is the transmuting rock to mud etc, how would that be useful against another creature? (That is, not targetting the ground under it etc)
    Last edited by Niezck; 2010-11-16 at 03:50 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1200

Y'know, I think the Living Spell may need a bit of clarification in regards to it affecting people with slams, engulfing etc.

Take the hand line for instance (guess which is my favorite ^^), a slam with a low-level hand (say unseen servant) does what exactly? Carries some of their equipment? Equally, a high level hand can do a few different things, some of which aren't exactly targetted (like interposing, how would that work?). Just saying "affected by the anima" etc seems quite vague in some cases.

Another example that springs to mind is the transmuting rock to mud etc, how would that be useful against another creature? (That is, not targetting the ground under it etc)
    You may be right. Any suggestions are welcomed in this respect. My first instinct would be to say that you do your slam damage and may simultaneously move an item as an unseen servant. (Maybe fling an item somewhere? Grab someone's hat?) The hand line deals more base damage and has a nice strength bonus on a slam, turning it into more of a melee magic combatant. At higher levels, it essentially gains all the abilities of the hand that it is representing.

And transmute mud to rock is mostly directly useful when targeting the ground under another creature, just like the actual spell. You can drop Transmute Rock to Mud as a trap, spring it to the creatures fall in mud, then pop up yourself and Transmute Mud to Rock, trapping them.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew: