New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default The Easy Exploit Compendium

Alright, fellows, let's compile some easy exploits. We all know that if you take three different prestige classes and 5 feats and a couple ACFs you can do lots of broken things, but how about the simple stuff, where you only need a couple spells or feats? Make sure they have catchy titles.

Here's an example:

"The Divine Drag Race"
    Release the energy from a persisted Footsteps Of The Divine (SpC) and you can add about 27 miles to your base land speed for one round.

EDIT: here's another one:

"The Bottomless Pit"
    Put a portable hole on the bottom of another portable hole (there's no rule that says anything happens if you do that). Put another one on the bottom of that one. Repeat ad inopiam fossarum (i.e. until you're out of holes).

Now go, my minions!
    Last edited by Flame of Anor; 2011-06-24 at 01:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Easy Exploit Compendium

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    "The Divine Drag Race"
    Release the energy from a persisted Footsteps Of The Divine (SpC) and you can add about 27 miles to your base land speed for one round.
    The errata for Persist killed that one; it doesn't work on dischargeable spells now.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cog View Post
    The errata for Persist killed that one; it doesn't work on dischargeable spells now.
    Footsteps is not dischargeable--the word "discharge" is nowhere in the spell description. Besides, the errata is trying to say that you can't have, say, infinite stoneskin or protection from arrows. Basically, if it can run out of oomph before the duration expires, then you can't persist it. But Footsteps doesn't run out of oomph--you just shorten the duration.
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

That only works if you take discharge to only mean references to the word "discharge" specifically, and not as a simple English word, which it also is. You can most certainly discharge Footsteps of the Divine (CC, by the way, not SPC), even though the spell lacks that particular word. Note that the spell's duration also has the (D) tag.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Cog View Post
    That only works if you take discharge to only mean references to the word "discharge" specifically, and not as a simple English word, which it also is. You can most certainly discharge Footsteps of the Divine (CC, by the way, not SPC), even though the spell lacks that particular word. Note that the spell's duration also has the (D) tag.
    The "(D)" tag just means that the caster can dismiss the spell at will to end it. It doesn't indicate anything about discharging.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Yorae View Post
    The "(D)" tag just means that the caster can dismiss the spell at will to end it. It doesn't indicate anything about discharging.
    True that.

From SRD:

(D) Dismissible

If the Duration line ends with "(D)," you can dismiss the spell at will. You must be within range of the spell’s effect and must speak words of dismissal, which are usually a modified form of the spell’s verbal component. If the spell has no verbal component, you can dismiss the effect with a gesture. Dismissing a spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
    Bustin' chops.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyr View Post
    I'm pretty certain myancey is absolutely, 100% objectively correct.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah man, I'd get out while you still enjoy d&d.

As much as it sucks to say, some people aren't meant to DM because they lack the ability to make judgment calls. These people include:

The drug-addled
    Furries
    People who buy Backyard Poultry magazine
    People who post on Rants and Raves (craigslist)
    People who buy hummers
    Professional laser tag players

And this list goes on.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, guys, this is not the "Let's discuss rules-interpretation minutiae" thread. Let's keep on topic.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Here's mine:

"Dragonfire Napalm"
    Take a level of Dragonfire Adept, and the Entangling Exhalation (RoD) feat. Now you can entangle enemies in a 30' line or 15' cone for 1d4 rounds, whilst doing 1d6 damage/round to them. This requires only a standard action, works at level 1 and automatically applies on anything that lacks Evasion.

Compare to the average damage of a level 1 fighter or sorcerer.

Footsteps is not dischargeable--the word "discharge" is nowhere in the spell description. Besides, the errata is trying to say that you can't have, say, infinite stoneskin or protection from arrows. Basically, if it can run out of oomph before the duration expires, then you can't persist it. But Footsteps doesn't run out of oomph--you just shorten the duration.
    Yeah, but I'm pretty sure the Complete Champion errata added the words 'or until discharged' to the duration text. It was more or less done specifically to make sure you could not Persist Footsteps of the Divine.
    Last edited by Tokiko Mima; 2011-06-24 at 02:53 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

This is HILARIOUS. The topic didnt even get past the first post before dissolving into an argument. I almost feel like im in a D&D game, listening to a player try to shoe horn in an unexpected idea past the DM who isnt buying the justification. "No really! If my minotaur team mate tosses my halfling wizard into the air and I cast wall of iron over the top of the dragon, it should do relatively massive damage when it smashes into his skull!"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Persisted Mass Lesser Vigor solves all healing problems.

"Or we could summon a horde of angels." - Gate any creature, that has Gate as a spell or SLA. You know the rest.

Candle of Invocation (Lawful Evil) - call an Efreet and use one of the wishes to get another Candle.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

11. - Top - End - #11

Drowning yourself to 0 hp to avoid taking damage that would otherwise kill you. That is the general solution to stopping an "infinite damage loop."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyShadow View Post
    Drowning yourself to 0 hp to avoid taking damage that would otherwise kill you. That is the general solution to stopping an "infinite damage loop."
    Other than the whole "now try to stop drowning" problem that arises thereafter.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

The Wireless Troll

When away on a long journey, you leave some minions to guard your castle. They need a way to get in touch with you; unfortunately they're all low level losers and can't cast Sending. No problem! Easy solution - take a Troll finger with you, while your minions keep the rest of the troll captive and tied up. When they need to send you an urgent message, they slice the Troll into tiny pieces, smaller than a finger. Voila, the finger you're carrying is now the largest part of the Troll, and starts regenerating - so you know your minions have something important for you, and can cast Sending yourself.

The Faster-than-Light Horseback Travel

Get a +19 Ride modifier. Line an arbitrarily-long row of horses, side to side. Mount one horse as a free action (DC 20 Ride check, achieved automatically), dismount as a free action on the other side (again, DC 20). Repeat as many times as needed, moving along the row of horses at arbitrarily high speed.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Other than the whole "now try to stop drowning" problem that arises thereafter.
    Yes as there is no RAW way to stop drowning ever. At best you net yourself an extra round or two of life.
    Level 3 feat: improved monster class pimping

RIP North_Ranger you will be missed

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    This is HILARIOUS. The topic didnt even get past the first post before dissolving into an argument. I almost feel like im in a D&D game, listening to a player try to shoe horn in an unexpected idea past the DM who isnt buying the justification. "No really! If my minotaur team mate tosses my halfling wizard into the air and I cast wall of iron over the top of the dragon, it should do relatively massive damage when it smashes into his skull!"
    This is trivial to shut down.

RAW: A creature or object brought into being or transported to your location by a conjuration spell cannot appear inside another creature or object, nor can it appear floating in an empty space. It must arrive in an open location on a surface capable of supporting it.

This restriction is probably put there to prevent whale-bombing. Also, if this restriction is not present, you don't need to toss the wizard -- he can aim spells vertically just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

16. - Top - End - #16

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vladislav View Post

Get a +19 Ride modifier. Line an arbitrarily-long row of horses, side to side. Mount one horse as a free action (DC 20 Ride check, achieved automatically), dismount as a free action on the other side (again, DC 20). Repeat as many times as needed, moving along the row of horses at arbitrarily high speed.
    Oh my! I'm laughing so hard it made me cry. That's about as funny as the commoner rail gun.

Instead of having roads and railways, you could have clockwork horses lined up from city to city. Then to make sure people have enough ride skill to accomplish "faster-than-light travel", you give each one of them a magic item that gives them a +10 competence bonus to ride (then tell them to "take 10"). So once they paid for their ticket to travel to another city, you give them the item. They hop on the first horse and they end up in a new city that same round.

Quote Originally Posted by NNescio View Post

RAW: A creature or object brought into being or transported to your location by a conjuration spell cannot appear inside another creature or object, nor can it appear floating in an empty space. It must arrive in an open location on a surface capable of supporting it.

This restriction is probably put there to prevent whale-bombing. Also, if this restriction is not present, you don't need to toss the wizard -- he can aim spells vertically just fine.
    My trick is a little more simple.

Instant Crush Death from Stone Shape

While inside a cave or underground, you cast Stone Shape and have it make a 1 inch thick space between a 10 foot cubed stone above a monster you want to kill. The resulting stone that falls on the monster (if it failed it's reflex save) would do 12,096D6 damage. That is according to the damage caused by falling objects. Since a falling object does 1D6 damage per 25 pounds of weight. A 10 foot cube of stone would weigh about 302,400 pounds.
    Last edited by Kansaschaser; 2011-06-24 at 03:18 PM.
    I underwent "Specialized High Intensity Training" for the English language. My training focused on avoiding abbreviations and acronyms. Not all of them are a good thing.

17. - Top - End - #17

The Wireless Troll

When away on a long journey, you leave some minions to guard your castle. They need a way to get in touch with you; unfortunately they're all low level losers and can't cast Sending. No problem! Easy solution - take a Troll finger with you, while your minions keep the rest of the troll captive and tied up. When they need to send you an urgent message, they slice the Troll into tiny pieces, smaller than a finger. Voila, the finger you're carrying is now the largest part of the Troll, and starts regenerating - so you know your minions have something important for you, and can cast Sending yourself.

Haha these are great. The secondm one reminds me of the minecart travel by similar methods in Minecraft.

18. - Top - End - #18

BardGuy

Hey, guys, this is not the "Let's discuss rules-interpretation minutiae" thread. Let's keep on topic.
    Uhh... We're trying to find easy tricks to break the game. How is that not rules-interpretation minutiae?

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Kansaschaser View Post
    Oh my! I'm laughing so hard it made me cry. That's about as funny as the commoner rail gun.
    fun fact: ride can be used with anything, even things unsuitable as mounts. if you manage to get yourself down to small, and have a +24 ride check, you can even do it with commoners.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post
    fun fact: ride can be used with anything, even things unsuitable as mounts. if you manage to get yourself down to small, and have a +24 ride check, you can even do it with commoners.
    I'm gonna make a Halfling Ranger with Leadership right now.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

The Wireless Troll

The wireless troll is sick. Pretty dang inventive.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki_42 View Post
    Uhh... We're trying to find easy tricks to break the game. How is that not rules-interpretation minutiae?
    Truth.
    Bustin' chops.

Spoiler
    Show

As much as it sucks to say, some people aren't meant to DM because they lack the ability to make judgment calls. These people include:

The drug-addled
    Furries
    People who buy hummers

And this list goes on.

22. - Top - End - #22

AssassinGuy

step 1: cast illusory wall when chased
    step2: cast prismatic wall about 1 inch behind illusory wall
    step 3: laugh

23. - Top - End - #23

I'm gonna make a Halfling Ranger with Leadership right now.
    why not a psywar thrallherd?

they can even compression two sizes down and do it with tiny creatures.
    Last edited by sreservoir; 2011-06-24 at 04:17 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by NNescio View Post

I was just listing something silly sounding at random, not trying to come up with an honest to god off the wall idea off the top of my head. I hope you at least got the point I was trying to make.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

25. - Top - End - #25

Antihero Complex

Vow of Poverty + Embrace the Dark Chaos + Shun the Dark Chaos

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I was just listing something silly sounding at random, not trying to come up with an honest to god off the wall idea off the top of my head. I hope you at least got the point I was trying to make.
    But conversations like this are supposed to be debated. Some people have really wrong ideas--and should be shown the light of RAW.
    Bustin' chops.

Spoiler
    Show

The drug-addled
    Furries
    People who buy hummers

And this list goes on.

27. - Top - End - #27

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WinWin View Post
    Antihero Complex

Vow of Poverty + Embrace the Dark Chaos + Shun the Dark Chaos
    I know what Vow of Poverty is. What is "Embrace the Dark Chaos" and "Shun the Dark Chaos". Also, where are they from? What does that combo accomplish?
    I underwent "Specialized High Intensity Training" for the English language. My training focused on avoiding abbreviations and acronyms. Not all of them are a good thing.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Correction: The errata for Footsteps of the Divine killed that exploit by adding "discharge" phrasing.

The Wireless Troll and pony express ideas work, though, and are hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Kansaschaser View Post
    I know what Vow of Poverty is. What is "Embrace the Dark Chaos" and "Shun the Dark Chaos". Also, where are they from? What does that combo accomplish?
    Embrace the Dark Chaos is a spell that replaces any feat you have with an Abyssal Heritor feat that you qualify for. Shun the Dark Chaos replaces any Abyssal Heritor feat you have with any feat you qualify for. Combine the two, and you can completely reassign your feats without restriction.

Now do that with all the bonus feats from Vow of Poverty. Instead of having a bunch of near worthless bonus Exalted feats, you have the same number of the best feats you can find from all of D&D 3.5 that you qualify for. Oh, and since technically you gained these feats from spells, you keep them even if you swap out Vow of Poverty itself.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

29. - Top - End - #29

Embrace the Dark Chaos and Shun the Dark Chaos are spells from Feindish Codex 1. You replace any feat with an abyssal heritor feat with one spell, then replace an abyssal heritor feat with any other feat with a the second spell.

You effectively trade your free exalted feats from Vow Of Povery with any feat you qualify for. If you're feeling ornery, trade out Vow of Poverty as well, then demand full WBL from your DM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by myancey View Post
    But conversations like this are supposed to be debated. Some people have really wrong ideas--and should be shown the light of RAW.
    Pfft, RAW, you say that term like it actually MEANS something. RAW is just for downer DMs who refuse to let their players enjoy themselves.