New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Kirby!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Kirby!

We all know this pink puffball. We all love him. But how would one build him in 3.5?

With my limited knowledge, I have absolutely no idea where to start.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Kirby!

The only thing that comes to mind when I think "what would represent a character that eats it's victims and steals their power?" is Illitid Savant.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kirby is also ridiculously powerful. As in, crack a planet in half with a single punch powerful. As in, Superman powerful.

He's also basically unkillable, as well.

They did some research on the subject. It's fun and entertaining, to boot, so watch it:

Read after you watch:
    Spoiler
    Show
    They royally low-ball Kirby's abilities here to make the fight seem more even, but still.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2016-02-26 at 05:33 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

So what you're saying is I should just Pun-Pun it? :P

Edit: But let's just go for the concept of Kirby-eating people to copy their abilities. Raw power is not needed.

Edit 2: I'm thinking Gestalt. One end is an unarmed fighter, since Kirby still kicks ass sans powers, the other end is eat people, gain powers.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2016-02-26 at 05:39 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Greater doppleganger sorcerer with hoard gullet and bite of the king on his spells known?
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

6. - Top - End - #6

What exactly are the powers of a greater doppelganger?

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ok first, Epic level threat, even when toned down. Not even joking here.

Kirby is listed as 8 inches tall, yet he is capabe of inhaling things of at least large size. His stomach is basically a demiplain. Not even joking here it is like the biggest bag of holding ever and may in theory have no limit to size. It would also, likely, resist the impact of a portable hole so it can't simply be a bag of holding. this also means physical attempts to hack ones way out would be impossible.

He has demonstrated massive stamina and DR, I would say at the VERY least it would be 10/- if not more and a good deal of Con. Probably30. STR likewise would be high in the 20s at base, and all stats probably getting a temporary mod of the most recent victim -10. So a STR 20 barbarian would at base give kirby a +10 to strength, just for a start.

Inhale would at the very least be the inverse of a gust of wind casting on steroids. Personally I'd say a very large area cone that requires a DC 25 Strength check to avoid moving back 10 feet plus 5 for every degree of failure. Probably a higher STR check needed but 25 at minimum.

Adaptations would be on the fly but I would say a will check with the swallow to get the aforementioned stat boost and perhaps access to the first 15 HD worth of abilities assuming this is epic level, likely with a will check to resist each time kirby attempts to take those abilities and another HD for every degree of success. I'd also say throw in 1 bit of gear at DM's discression.

He is a baby star warrior so I'd put him in a very low age category and probably have his Int and Wis smaller anyways. Physical stats all higher, and decent Cha for obvious reasons.

Finally I'd give him a flight speed of three quarters his normal move speed but without the ability to inhale without breaking it and a 15 foot line for his puff of air just for fun, but low-ish damage.

Honestly I can't see him being anything less than a level 30 threat. Kirby is a vicious monster and realistically could probably mop the floor with some demigods.

8. - Top - End - #8

Actually, have him take refluffed illithid savant 5 and eat a greater doppelganger for its consume identity ability, and use the 3rd level to eat the manifesting ability of, say, a high level StP erudite for the ability to manifest bite of the king.

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    What exactly are the powers of a greater doppelganger?
    The important ability is this:

Consume Identity (Su)
    By eating the brain of a Medium-sized or smaller humanoid victim, you can absorb the mind, memories, and personality of that victim. After consuming a victim's identity, you can assume the victim's form with 100% accuracy and possess the victim's memories, abilities, and alignment. The only exceptions are cleric spells of 2nd level or greater, a paladin's (or equivalent) special abilities, and other powers that are granted by deities. When you have already consumed three or more personalities, and wish to consume another, you must make a Will save (DC 16) to avoid losing a random personality from those consumed earlier. In any case, you cannot have more consumed identities than you have total levels, losing a random identity from your pool if you attempt to exceed that limit. If you "wear" one of your assumed identities and commit an act that runs counter to that form's alignment, you are immediately reverted to your normal form for 1d10 rounds. In your normal form, you retain the basic memories of all the identities you have consumed, though not deeper memories. Memories from previously consumed identities that have been forced out by new identities fade quickly.

This is a supernatural ability.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2016-02-26 at 05:56 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Actually, have him take refluffed illithid savant 5 and eat a greater doppelganger for its consume identity ability, and use the 3rd level to eat the manifesting ability of, say, a high level StP erudite for the ability to manifest bite of the king.

The important ability is this:
    Dang it. I got the greater and ethereal dopplegangers mixed up again. Oh well, this fits better anyway.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Luch Ri View Post

Kirby is listed as 8 inches tall, yet he is capabe of inhaling things of at least large size. His stomach is basically a demiplain. Not even joking here it is like the biggest bag of holding ever and may in theory have no limit to size. It would also, likely, resist the impact of a portable hole so it can't simply be a bag of holding. this also means physical attempts to hack ones way out would be impossible.

He has demonstrated massive stamina and DR, I would say at the VERY least it would be 10/- if not more and a good deal of Con. Probably30. STR likewise would be high in the 20s at base, and all stats probably getting a temporary mod of the most recent victim -10. So a STR 20 barbarian would at base give kirby a +10 to strength, just for a start.

Inhale would at the very least be the inverse of a gust of wind casting on steroids. Personally I'd say a very large area cone that requires a DC 25 Strength check to avoid moving back 10 feet plus 5 for every degree of failure. Probably a higher STR check needed but 25 at minimum.

Adaptations would be on the fly but I would say a will check with the swallow to get the aforementioned stat boost and perhaps access to the first 15 HD worth of abilities assuming this is epic level, likely with a will check to resist each time kirby attempts to take those abilities and another HD for every degree of success. I'd also say throw in 1 bit of gear at DM's discression.

He is a baby star warrior so I'd put him in a very low age category and probably have his Int and Wis smaller anyways. Physical stats all higher, and decent Cha for obvious reasons.

Finally I'd give him a flight speed of three quarters his normal move speed but without the ability to inhale without breaking it and a 15 foot line for his puff of air just for fun, but low-ish damage.

Honestly I can't see him being anything less than a level 30 threat. Kirby is a vicious monster and realistically could probably mop the floor with some demigods.
    Though I would throw in a -30 to his Perform (Sing) checks.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aleolus View Post
    Though I would throw in a -30 to his Perform (Sing) checks.
    At least, yeah. Especially if he nabbed a bard.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Kirby

Body pouch from serpent kingdoms. Reptilian creature or skarn or rilkan. Something to increase your size and reduce your enemies.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Luch Ri View Post

Kirby is an eldritch abomination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

14. - Top - End - #14

Can't watch youtube right now. Could somebody please explain in text what canon from his games or other media make him as big a threat as is being listed? He's a cute little megaman-like puncher from the exposure I've had to him.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Can't watch youtube right now. Could somebody please explain in text what canon from his games or other media make him as big a threat as is being listed? He's a cute little megaman-like puncher from the exposure I've had to him.
    Short version: He is horrifyingly durable, able to withstand a planet-sized explosion. He is terrifyingly strong, able to hurl multiple tons off of an earth-like planet at escape velocity. He is disturbingly adaptable, able to eat anything and absorb its powers. And his Warp Star is capable of instantaneous travel, fighting at a speed with which most enemies can't keep up.

Able to withstand massive explosions, hurl objects at escape velocity with his bare hands, eat most enemies and absorb their powers, and teleport. Scary enough?
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

16. - Top - End - #16

He can travel and fight at MFTL speeds. He's strong enough to easily crack planets in half or punch planet-sized gods hard enough to make them explode. He can survive planet-sized explosions without a scratch. He's Kirb-stomped dozens of nigh omnipotent reality warpers -- which includes creatures capable of destroying entire universes, and then destroyed their even stronger undead forms. He can pull out and wield many greater artifact-level weapons that he's collected, some of which can seriously damage greater deity-level monsters. He's got a huge repertoire of varied offensive, defensive, and utility powers that he can pull out of his hat, many of which are instakills, no matter how powerful the enemy, and several make him completely invulnerable. He's strong enough to hurl several tons hard enough to hit the sun in mere seconds. He can inhale monsters many times larger than himself and steal their powers (though he loses this power-up if an enemy gets a good hit in), and he can also inhale various energy beams and projectiles that he can then spit out hard enough to deal serious damage to anything that doesn't have some major resilience. And with the miracle fruit, his inhale ability is powerful enough to literally devour entire worlds. He's taken down entire armies of powerful monsters on his own, obliterated his world's equivalent of the Death Star on his own, taken hits that shatter planets with no problems, survived direct exposure to black holes without flinching, and managed to defeat reality warpers even after they turned him into clay or string or a limbless pink ball, going so far as to use their own strengths against them and beat them at their own games.

And that's only just scratching the surface.

Kirby is a beast.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2016-02-29 at 04:41 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Huh. Clearly, what I've seen of him has not been even close to the kinds of things he is truly capable of. I admit my exposure has been limited. He mostly seemed to beat up King Deedeedee and eat things in what I had seen. And throw yarn around. (I've seen him in SSB games, of course, but that doesn't seem a good place to draw the canonical power level of anybody from.)

18. - Top - End - #18

SwashbucklerGuy

The Death Battle guys evaluated his capabilities, put him in a fight against Majin Buu from DB, and Kirby wiped the floor with him. One of the things they mentioned was when Kirby, in his Fox cartoon, launched an enemy clear into space, causing it to orbit the sun and crash back down on the planet

19. - Top - End - #19

Huh. Clearly, what I've seen of him has not been even close to the kinds of things he is truly capable of. I admit my exposure has been limited. He mostly seemed to beat up King Deedeedee and eat things in what I had seen. And throw yarn around. (I've seen him in SSB games, of course, but that doesn't seem a good place to draw the canonical power level of anybody from.)
    When your feats of strength and durability are measured in septillions of megatons, you know you're a badass, tiny size and girly colors be damned.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2016-02-29 at 04:51 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

It's important to take note of what exact incarnation of Kirby is being used: ScrewAttack usually assumes the full range of powers in all appearances in the most beneficial combination, which makes older characters far more powerful. I haven't watched that Kirby episode (yet), but n their Link vs Cloud I remember Link benefitting heavily from a couple cross-combinations, though most of it was from good 'ol real world number extrapolations similar to the comment just above me.

So while most versions of Kirby can only hold one copy ability at a time, in the Milky Way Wishes part of Super Star he actually just learns all his powers permanently and can switch between them at-will. Mentions of cracking a planet in half come from one of the multiplayer minigames also in Super Star, and so on. I would suggest picking a specific incarnation before attempting to stat any character, though in Kirby's case it's still nigh-impossible to "copy" creatures without a few specific monsters. Milky Way Wishes Kirby wouldn't be hard at all since he learns his powers at specific points without copying, so you just make a list and stat up his spaceship for shooting section for laughs.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Ah, Superstar Ultra... I think that was the first platformer that I played. I think I also reached 100% completion on it, but I don't remember if I collected all of the treasure chests in the Caverns.

22. - Top - End - #22

Sweet Kobold from Vault 13 by ThePrez1776 !

"If the powers that be are angry, give them a weapon."

Homebrew:

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Ralcos View Post
    Best quote ever. Can I steal?
    So long as it's attributed, yes. (In which case, it's not stealing.)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Let's not forget such gems as various forms of multiplication, the taming of other dimensional four-headed magic dragons, and the undeniable fact that Kirby only gains more powers over time. He keeps getting stronger and more versatile. He's not stopping any time soon.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2