New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: NaNoWriMo in the playground 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    That's okay, I was trying to go with animals that were quite different to the ones you had already picked out, and was bearing in mind that with water covering as much of the planet as it does, aquatic creatures are an awful lot more prevalent than we like to think.
    Absolutely true. It's just that most stories, this one included, take place on land. Many do take place in water, but I think more don't than do. Aquatic animals have almost no use out of water. I guess you could crush somebody with your whale, but that seems like an awfully bad idea... Maybe I will use that in my story. :small amused:

I think land walkers will be most common on land, so I will have mostly those.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Absolutely true. It's just that most stories, this one included, take place on land. Many do take place in water, but I think more don't than do. Aquatic animals have almost no use out of water. I guess you could crush somebody with your whale, but that seems like an awfully bad idea... Maybe I will use that in my story. :small amused:

I think land walkers will be most common on land, so I will have mostly those.
    Could go with a toad instead- for a little extra land utility.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Could go with a toad instead- for a little extra land utility.
    An amphibian could be useful, but maybe not a toad. Or maybe a toad because amphibian options are really limited. Unless I wanted a newt. That way I could do Monty Python jokes. When the ring turns into the newt the summoner yells "I turned it into a newt!" And when it is reverted to a ring, the guys says "It got better."
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, today I decided I would give NaNoWriMo a try this year. I didn't even realize I was considering the option, but apparently I was.

Lately I've been feeling like I want to write. I used to write all the time, I used to love it. But a few years ago I just stopped. I stopped during NaNo actually - I suddenly realized that I wasn't having any fun and I actively didn't want to write. So I dropped my story and haven't written anything since.

But I sort of have an idea for a story now. Well, not even for a story. More like the idea for a setting. Well, okay, not even a setting, I just have a vague idea for a magic system that I really want to try. So now I've got ten days to finish figuring out my setting, my characters, and my entire plot before plunging in and sacrificing all of my free time to the story gods while wincing at my awkward, horrible, out-of-practice writing. Now it feels like old times!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

I wound up writing a short story over the past few weeks. Posted it on a forum (not this one, but once it's done I may crosspost it here) as I did so. 7,000 words (probably 8,000 when I finish it off)...and as it's drawing to a close I think I could make a decent series out of the protagonist's further adventures. The mythology-bending setting that sprang into being wound up being a lot of fun.

I've never really tried to do a Nanowrimo project, so this might be the opportune time to do so.
    You may think of me as:
    Struggling amateur author #3284728

Book one is on the Kindle now. It's a mix of hard science fiction and fantasy. How's that work? Surprisingly well.

I share the ebook version of it freely. Link to download it is at the top of that page.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Second attempt - nervous.
    My first attempt started horrifically when I only discovered NaNoWriMo eight days after it started and then lost all internet after the 20th. So no word count updating then.
    And for this attempt, I'm not sure whether I'll be able to finish my first idea before it starts. Most likely, I'll just spin off into a fantasy/D&D/Runescape/Generic-Fantasy-With-Dragons-And-Magic-Stuff type story. It will be my first attempt at a full November contest, so fingers crossed!
    But you can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disembowelling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others.
    I know that sometimes, the hero has to play baccarat with the enemy, even though logically it would make more sense for them to just be trying to kill each other. What I don't know is how to play baccarat.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh! NaNo thread! Hi! Another place to talk about NaNo is always good!
    This will be my third time doing NaNo. I failed miserably last November, petering out at only 5000 words, but I won Camp NaNo in July! I have high hope going into this NaNo!
    I'm writing a (sort of romance) gaslamp fantasy story that'll be mostly character driven.
    My pronouns are they/them, but I don't care much.

My PbP Characters:
    Ailian Sunblazer

My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

My NaNoWriMo story is this:
    A utopian world, or so it seems. Man has overthrown gods, but they have become corrupt. One person, who's village was burnt, is cast into the wild, and discovers humanity's true nature. He goes on a quest for 8 magic rings, hoping that he will be able to redeem the world with their power. The animals for the rings are: Falcon, snake, mouse, whale, monkey, frog/toad, rabbit, and I need one more. Any ideas?
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Any ideas?
    Is there any particular theme you're going after?

Edit: What about beetles? Or maybe some other sort of insect?
    Last edited by Grinner; 2014-10-22 at 08:10 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    Is there any particular theme you're going after?

Edit: What about beetles? Or maybe some other sort of insect?
    Insects or other bugs may have a small amount of use as spies, but some other animals can be used for that. No specific theme, but no extinct animals. Also, they should be slightly useful in some way. Also, no wolves. They have a special place.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Insects or other bugs may have a small amount of use as spies, but some other animals can be used for that. No specific theme, but no extinct animals. Also, they should be slightly useful in some way. Also, no wolves. They have a special place.
    I had been thinking more that insects tend to be incredibly strong for their size...What about bears?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Second Grinner. Methinks there's a mammalian predator missing, something good for self-defense, maybe. And bears are really rich in tribal lore. If not a bear, probably a lynx or mountain lion? Or, if you want to stay small, maybe a stoat or something like that…

(Great, now I hear the BraveStarr theme in my head…)
    Last edited by Sunfall; 2014-10-23 at 11:23 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

After 6 years of not participating...(Has it really been that long? ah..yea..)I'l try my hand at it again.

Title: Audioblast.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

14. - Top - End - #44

I was inspired by the coulrophobia thread (in friendly banter) to make a story about a vampire hunter who is also a clown. The trouble is, I don't know much about Clowns. Does anybody have any good links or videos about clowning to share?
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Bear sounds good. I'll use that. Size matter not, after all, there is a whale. I will find an entertaining way to make a ninja use a whale.
    He will be a very sneaky ninja who as running away summons a whale and everyone is surprised.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Blaargh. I feel like my challenge is going to be writing about personal experiences without getting... too personal. Like, I think I'm going to lean towards a sort of fictionalised version of myself, twisting a lot of the stories with their details, but... At the same time I want to write crudely about everything, exactly like they were.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Blaargh. I feel like my challenge is going to be writing about personal experiences without getting... too personal. Like, I think I'm going to lean towards a sort of fictionalised version of myself, twisting a lot of the stories with their details, but... At the same time I want to write crudely about everything, exactly like they were.
    No one ever said it couldn't be an autobiography.

Moreover, since the only thing the website doohickey cares about is word count, you can simply set fire to your hard drive when all's said and done, and no one will be any wiser about it.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm. I'll probably work on writing things as they are for starters. I mean, this whole process will be a first draft. After November I will likely push it under the bed for a while and then edit the crap out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    This is a big challenge when personal issues start to become so strong they overflow from their container. The best thing to do is put it down and sort through things.

20. - Top - End - #50

One week of October left. Hopefully I'll have time to finish that outline. I think it's been a problem that I'm trying to work on the outline for both this book and the sequel at one time, so I'll concentrate on this one for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    I was inspired by the coulrophobia thread (in friendly banter) to make a story about a vampire hunter who is also a clown. The trouble is, I don't know much about Clowns. Does anybody have any good links or videos about clowning to share?
    Most of what I have is in book form, but I'll see what I can do. A basic explanation would be that, aside from the clown character/persona (and somewhat including that), clowning has a fair amount in common with both stage magic and with comedy in general, especially more physical or slapstick comedy. The Wikipedia article isn't a bad place to start, if you haven't already looked at it.

Here are some links I found that might be useful for you:

All About Clowns website (not the best laid out website, but if you dig there's information)
    Clown Forum.com (a forum, so again, would have to dig for specific information)
    A .pdf which seems aimed at teaching kids basic things, but could help

I did clowning for a year or so, as my theatre had a clown troupe associated with it for quite some time and I wanted to give it a shot, but it really wasn't a good fit for my personality (I'm generally rather shy and introverted, and distinctly uneasy in crowds). I might be able to answer more specific questions if you have any, though.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going all in this year as the second time, after (I think, can't remember) skipping last year. Mine is a Space opera, set in the world of my novel but not actually in it.
    Basically, Mass effect meets 40k. It's going to be sort of Generic but with my personal twists and now I'm rambling.

ANYWAYS. I have a sacrifice volunteer to bother me each day I don't send them something to read for that day, so I hope to actually complete it. And now on to the point, I forget how to do that little sig thingie you guys do with the word count, how does that happen?
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Well, I think I've nailed down my concept - and just like the first year, it comes from merging two existing ones. I'm going to be combining the "Multipath" and "Gamer" concepts. The witty title is still pending, though. And I'm committing to this enough I haven't purchased CIV:BE yet

The gamer is sitting down at his computer trying to decide what to play first for a planned three-day weekend gaming binge when he is struck by Movie Lightning(tm) and finds himself IN the games - plural. Adventure, romance, danger, and hijinks ensue - until the worlds start colliding (I'm thinking more metaphorical than literal). It seems only one of them can be the "real" him. Which is it going to be, and/or can "reality" win out? I don't know either, yet

Next on the agenda will be hammering out which games it is going to be. Since this is just for my own amusement I don't think I'm going to bother with more than one-offing the games in question - to the point my notes read NotQuiteSkyrim, NotQuiteMajesty, and so forth. I'm thinking there will be six or seven of them (out in front right now is "Six with the possibility that the original reality is in fact NotQuiteTheSims").
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Duck999: Heh, whale shapeshifter. Reminds me of way back when we used to template all kinds of shapeshifters for (I think it was) Shadowrun (yeah, we were young and we had plenty of time to waste). We used to joke around with a shifter changing to Blue Whale form while engaging in combat with his enemies - in a small room. Splat.

Good times

@ShadowFireLance: There is an entry called "Word-Count Helpers" under the "Inspiration" category in your Nano portal. There, you'll find quite a few nifty Word-Count Widgets that you can embed here. You'll have to play around a bit with the HTML tags, though, until they're displayed properly (at least I had to).

@TheEmerged: Love that idea! It's like "Choose Your Own Adventure" meets Tron! That could turn out really funny, while still being suspenseful and containing at least a bit of find-yourself wisdom. And you can include oodles of Shout-outs and Lampshades
    Last edited by Sunfall; 2014-10-26 at 02:08 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfall View Post
    @Duck999: Heh, whale shapeshifter. Reminds me of way back when we used to template all kinds of shapeshifters for (I think it was) Shadowrun (yeah, we were young and we had plenty of time to waste). We used to joke around with a shifter changing to Blue Whale form while engaging in combat with his enemies - in a small room. Splat.

Good times
    Huh? Where did that ninja go? SPLASH! Found him! And a whale...
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfall View Post
    This completely reminds me of Summon Bigger Fish.

I'm still trying to decide what I want to write- I can't believe the end of the month is looming on the horizon already.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

I was thinking of doing a fairly caustic satire whose Pynchonian conspiracy pileup centers around a possible covert alien invasion. The only forms of preparation I'm allowing myself are pretending going to corn mazes counts as "research" and watching a bunch of movies about alien infiltration. My list so far sub-genre staples like Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Body Snatchers, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and The Invasion, along with a few movies not named some variation on "Invasion of the Body Snatchers," like They Live, The Thing, The Stuff, and Slither. Any other suggestions?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zrak View Post
    Any other suggestions?
    Nothing specifically relating to aliens, but the Coen Brothers' films seem thematically relevant, yes?

28. - Top - End - #58

I wound up making my synopsis today. Tried to aim for a back-of-the-book style blurb, since there's no guidance or apparent judging on what it's for.

Most rough weekends don't wind up making you immortal.

Sam's weirdest Saturday ever saw her slip from the woods of Wisconsin to an ancient Sumerian giantslayer's enchanted home. A few new friends and a dead enemy later, she limps away as the newest of the Heroes of the Ancient Ways: the immortal guardians of humanity.

Her powers - absorbed from her first kill - are just barely beginning to grow, and she's not even sure what she's going to become - or if she'll have the opportunity to try. Sam's now a mystical beacon in the mortal world, drawing attention from anything that slips in from the other realms - because for the first year, anything that kills her will steal her newfound power.

On top of that, the end of her mortal existence doesn't mean her life has stopped. She just has to juggle her training with her job.

In the end, all she can do is hang on. It should get better - they've assured her, the first century is usually the worst.
    You may think of me as:
    Struggling amateur author #3284728

Book one is on the Kindle now. It's a mix of hard science fiction and fantasy. How's that work? Surprisingly well.

I share the ebook version of it freely. Link to download it is at the top of that page.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Zrak: Man, it's been ages since I saw They Live... That's the ultimate alien infiltration movie - should be all you need That and the brain slug episode of Futurama, perhaps.
    Last edited by Sunfall; 2014-10-29 at 01:45 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually really happy I found a title for my novel; "The Stars are Old". It's weird being happy about such a small detail.
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig