New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1471
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I don't know how to explain that one of the most popular rock bands of all time touring the world is not comparable to me just packing some **** on my back and walking across the continent.
    Barring that, go to your local comedy club and check out the comedians you've probably never heard of who travel around performing for others. There are tons of ways to be a wandering minstrel, and you can't really argue it by saying "yes but none of those are the incredibly specific way that I want to do it."

Imean, you can argue it that way, but the argument loses a lot of its teeth.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-09-19 at 01:40 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know how to explain that one of the most popular rock bands of all time touring the world is not comparable to me just packing some **** on my back and walking across the continent.
    It's way less of a hassle to organize in your case?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Barring that, go to your local comedy club and check out the comedians you've probably never heard of who travel around performing for others. There are tons of ways to be a wandering minstrel, and you can't really argue it by saying "yes but none of those are the incredibly specific way that I want to do it."

Imean, you can argue it that way, but the argument loses a lot of its teeth.
    I mean given where I live that's no one but alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    It's way less of a hassle to organize in your case?
    Okay so I'm going to actually have to explain this I guess.

It is stupid ****ing expensive to wander the world. If you're popular or famous sure, it's easy, you just kinda go, but if you're just a singular person it's basically impossible unless you're rich. You never hear about poor back packers after all, it's also rich kids going on a Sabbatical to become in-tune with their inner douchebag or whatever. The life of a wanderer is expensive, harsh, and often full of death and despair. If the world were a better, friendlier place, it'd be easier to just do that if you wanted.

I have no personal desire to really do this myself because it was a joke, but y'all made me have to put on my "economics means basically no one but the wealthy is able to live the perfect lives they want" serious pants.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Titan in the Playground

Who said "wander the world"?

EDIT: Who said "perfect life", either? A job's a job, they're rarely easy.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-09-19 at 01:54 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #1145

Done with this conversation.

Anyway hey how is everyone doing today?

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Titan in the Playground

Somewhere between fine, sentimental, and depressed (the usual reasons). But hey, at least Last Christmas shouldn't hit so close to home this year.

Now all I have to do is come to terms with spending my life alone and everything will be fine. Wait, come to terms with that and relearn the piano.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-09-19 at 02:37 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hit my weight limit so now I get to diet some more. Plus its fall so going outside isn't as much of a thing, can't eat the same without gaining 40 pounds.

I'll miss you starches. See you in March.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Bugbear in the Playground

Done with this conversation.

No. I've had enough. You don't get to wind up the moral high horse and then declare 'Actually, I don't want to talk about this' If you're going to put guns on the field, you need to stick to them. Either drop your statements on the Nature of Society and keep to the polite small talk or write them up large and be prepared to listen to potential dissenting opinions.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    No. I've had enough. You don't get to wind up the moral high horse and then declare 'Actually, I don't want to talk about this' If you're going to put guns on the field, you need to stick to them. Either drop your statements on the Nature of Society and keep to the polite small talk or write them up large and be prepared to listen to potential dissenting opinions.
    I don't think she was "winding up the moral high horse" whatever that means.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Titan in the Playground

I mean given where I live that's no one but alright.

Okay so I'm going to actually have to explain this I guess.

It is stupid ****ing expensive to wander the world. If you're popular or famous sure, it's easy, you just kinda go, but if you're just a singular person it's basically impossible unless you're rich. You never hear about poor back packers after all, it's also rich kids going on a Sabbatical to become in-tune with their inner douchebag or whatever. The life of a wanderer is expensive, harsh, and often full of death and despair. If the world were a better, friendlier place, it'd be easier to just do that if you wanted.

I have no personal desire to really do this myself because it was a joke, but y'all made me have to put on my "economics means basically no one but the wealthy is able to live the perfect lives they want" serious pants.
    It's stupid {scrubbed} expensive to wander the world because the world is {scrubbed} big.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-09-19 at 03:45 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    It's stupid f#@$ing expensive to wander the world because the world is f#@$ing big.
    Also as a Bard people have to like your art enough to feed and house you.

12. - Top - End - #1152

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I don't think she was "winding up the moral high horse" whatever that means.
    {Scrubbed}
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-09-19 at 04:16 PM.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

13. - Top - End - #1153

My apologies Durkoala, I just didn't want to continue the conversation since it felt as if no one was actually understanding what I was saying, and that going further would probably push into board unsafe territory. We can discuss it later if you'd like, I just didn't want to continue it.

I'm sorry that what I said was so detestable.

I do however contest that I'm on the moral high ground here. I don't understand why the hell you would think that. I'm... not doing anything like that, and if I am than I'm sorry for that too since that was not the intention at all.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-09-19 at 03:46 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Ettin in the Playground

{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}.
    So, like I said, a bunch of things she wasn't doing. Got it.
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-09-19 at 04:17 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Titan in the Playground

{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    .......... you find it detestable that she decided to leave a conversation? You think Zodi has placed herself on a moral pedestal because she declared she was done talking about it? When did morality even enter the conversation in the first place?

{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}.
    {Scrubbed}
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-09-19 at 04:21 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You know some of us can't afford high horses. I only get a moral pony :/

17. - Top - End - #1157

So, like I said, a bunch of things she wasn't doing. Got it.
    I feel otherwise, but I'm not going to drag a list of ways my friend annoys me through a public forum.

.......... you find it detestable that she decided to leave a conversation? You think Zodi has placed herself on a moral pedestal because she declared she was done talking about it? When did morality even enter the conversation in the first place?
    I don't recall calling anything destestable. I'm tired, cranky and I've had to put up with a very iritating sextet of people for most of the day, so my thoughts on something that's been irritating me for a long time came out rather vehemently. I could have handled it better, maybe, but that's something to be discussed with somebody else.

Morals and moral pedestals is something that's subject to the same thing I said to enderlord.

I find it extremely self-absorbed of you that you responded to "I'm done talking about this" with "no, you talk about it whether you want to or not"

AFAICT the only one putting himself on a moral high horse here is you.
    Standing by, disowning or explaining things you have said is one of my moral principles. Asking people not to talk about important things you say in public is not.

Self-absorbed? Maybe. I can't see how I'd know if I was or wasn't, as I feel I'd be equally sure of my awareness of others either way.

@Zodi: I'm trying to write a reply to your comment. Please bear with me.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Ettin in the Playground

Arguments about whether or not someone was arguing tend to give me vague flashbacks to when I was little and my parents would slap me for being part of them.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Arguments about whether or not someone was arguing tend to give me vague flashbacks to when I was little and my parents would slap me for being part of them.
    :( I'm sorry to hear that.

20. - Top - End - #1160

Sorry to hear that. Sadly, parents can be very good at leaving unseeable scars on their children and not very good at avoiding doing that.

Zodi has complete control over 70% of the ways she and I communicate, though, and can block me on all of the others. She's fully capable of cutting me out of her life if she thinks I'm becoming a negative influence, and I judge her as able to make that choice. You don't need to worry about her from me, unless of course she says so.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1161

My apologies Durkoala, I just didn't want to continue the conversation since it felt as if no one was actually understanding what I was saying, and that going further would probably push into board unsafe territory. We can discuss it later if you'd like, I just didn't want to continue it.

I do however contest that I'm on the moral high ground here. I don't understand why the hell you would think that. I'm... not doing anything like that, and if I am than I'm sorry for that too since that was not the intention at all.
    I'm going to break this up as there's a lot of different points to address in different ways, and that's a lot easier than trying to do it as one big chunk.

My apologies Durkoala, I just didn't want to continue the conversation since it felt as if no one was actually understanding what I was saying, and that going further would probably push into board unsafe territory.
    That's a good reason, but it didn't really come across as that to me. You went from 'I'm putting on my big pants to tell everybody that they're being dumb' to 'I don't want to talk about this now' without mentioning why and to me at least, it came across as saying 'you should listen to me, but I'm not taking questions'

We can discuss it later if you'd like, I just didn't want to continue it.
    OK by me either way.

Detestable, is a bit strong. Like I said earlier, I've not had a good day and slightly exploded, but these are things that irritate me and this conversation was going to happen eventually, sorry.

Thanks to the vaguaries of the English language, I'm going to have to respond to this twice.

Actually having the moral high ground... not really something I feel I can judge and what I can say isn't something I want talk about on a forum where anybody can see.

Acting like you have the moral high ground... well, you do tend to drop judgements on things or people you dislike in a tone that implies this is objective fact and without explaining further.

I'd like to say I'm sorry for what I said earlier, but even after some hours thinking about it, I can't think of a better way to put what I meant to words. I don't like saying this, but being quiet isn't helping me either. Like I've said a few times, though, this isn't something to talk about in the forum, but we can pick it up elsewhere if you're OK with that.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh ok. LOL!

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Meanwhile I am happy because I found one of my bartenders at my local is now drinking my version of martini's (Hendricks, 1/4 vermouth, stirred not shaken, in a bucket, with a twist) because she likes the taste and making them.

Made my day

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Arr, it be national talk like a pirate day, Mateys!

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PhyrexianShovel View Post
    Arr, it be national talk like a pirate day, Mateys!
    Spoiler: What's a pirate's favorite letter?
    Show
    Their first love be the C.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

26. - Top - End - #1166

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    Meanwhile I am happy because I found one of my bartenders at my local is now drinking my version of martini's (Hendricks, 1/4 vermouth, stirred not shaken, in a bucket, with a twist) because she likes the taste and making them.

Made my day
    In my opinion, most drinks are improved by being served in a bucket.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Spoiler: What's a pirate's favorite letter?
    Show
    Their first love be the C.
    Spoiler: Why are all fish richer then pirates?
    Show
    Because they won the water-y

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by PhyrexianShovel View Post
    Spoiler: Why are all fish richer then pirates?
    Show
    Because they won the water-y
    Careful with those fish puns! You may make anemone of me!

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Ogre in the Playground

Hi! I promised to tell you more about this incident: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=153 so here I am.

Everything has gone well enough despite the fact that I am teaching English to children whose first language is English despite the fact that my first language is not English. I would say that we grow as speakers of English together. I am not there to be Shakespeare or a knows-all-does-all expert, but my job is to help the children to progress as English users.

I would say that the following incident made me a lot more relaxed: One of the kids was messing around a lot and not focusing, so I called his dad, who is from North America. I'm sure that he was able to understand within 5 seconds that English is not my first language, but it is obvious that he does not care about that. He was sent his children to my classes anyway and he got his son to behave nicely. If he is okay with me teaching his children, then why shouldn't I be okay with everything?
    Last edited by Jon_Dahl; 2019-10-17 at 03:26 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Ettin in the Playground

Not to fan the flames, but I think it's much easier to be a travelling minstrel if you're broke. I've met a lot more homeless people travelling from city to city and making a living playing music than I've met people doing that who were well-off. If you're moderately rich then you're likely to have a job and they won't be happy if you just skip town. If you're really rich you're still likely to have obligations that are going to prevent you from doing that sort of thing.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.