New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1471
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

What do tiers mean to you?

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    What do tiers mean to you?
    A row or level of a structure, typically one of a series of rows placed one above the other and successively receding or diminishing in size. Or a level or grade within the hierarchy of an organization or system.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    A row or level of a structure, typically one of a series of rows placed one above the other and successively receding or diminishing in size. Or a level or grade within the hierarchy of an organization or system.
    That's a wonderful explanation. Anyway, I can't wait for the New Boss Monster Card Game Expansion Set coming next month.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Troll in the Playground

Re: Lapland

I was there to visit my best friend and her husband with my boyfriend (though he had to leave earlier than I due to studies). Lots of nature shizzle, last time I visited was in 1993... I'm not sure if I was even a year old at that point. It would've been lovely to go even further up north, but that's a thing for another time. Next visit will likely be in January, which'll be super exciting as my best friend is due in March.

I'm back in Helsinki now, but I had a couple day stop at a city on the way. A friend of mine, who works part time with one of the university projects alongside his studies, let me try a VR animal museum they've been working on. It's exactly the same as the old university taxidermy museum used to be. Sad to see they decided to get rid of it, but at least it'll live on in the VR world. That, and some of the best taxidermy pieces are still portrayed around the university.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Titan in the Playground

That's a wonderful explanation. Anyway, I can't wait for the New Boss Monster Card Game Expansion Set coming next month.
    You know, I've never played that game. When it comes to card games I'm more of a Munchkin or Knockout Whist kind of person.

Anyway, playing some Ultima VII really made me appreciate hoe bad Ultima IX's dialogue is. Both games have dialogue meant to help get new players up to speed, but while the Avatar in Ultima IX is the idiot who can't remember anything, conversations with old friends in Ultima VII give the impression that the Avatar is closer to a light hearter joker/troll. I can fully imagine the Ultima VII Avatar asking Dupre (Dupré? I want to spell it Dupret) what a knight is just for the reaction she'd get from him. It really is a masterpiece of writing, managing to flesh out the Avatar's Personality with nothing but topics and other characters' responses.

I also just finally got around to picking up Wrath & Glory, and I'm actually liking it a lot more than I expected. It's a worth successor to the old games, and I really want to play a Guardsman in a group of Astartes now.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Not to fan the flames, but I think it's much easier to be a travelling minstrel if you're broke. I've met a lot more homeless people travelling from city to city and making a living playing music than I've met people doing that who were well-off. If you're moderately rich then you're likely to have a job and they won't be happy if you just skip town. If you're really rich you're still likely to have obligations that are going to prevent you from doing that sort of thing.
    I know some barely-getting-by musicians who tour while mostly couchsurfing, playing small gigs and house concerts, but it's a pretty precarious way to live. One health setback or unexpected car problem can pretty much erase all of the money you were hoping to make on the tour, and it definitely takes a good network of friends and fans to fall back on if something goes wrong along the way. Filkers will pretty much look out for each other (I'm not even a performer myself and I've had multiple filkers offer me crash space if I'm ever in their town just because I'm part of the filk community), but no one gets rich that way and it's tough to even get to "able to regularly make rent and buy food without another source of income", so most people have unrelated day jobs.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    You know, I've never played that game. When it comes to card games I'm more of a Munchkin or Knockout Whist kind of person.

Anyway, playing some Ultima VII really made me appreciate hoe bad Ultima IX's dialogue is. Both games have dialogue meant to help get new players up to speed, but while the Avatar in Ultima IX is the idiot who can't remember anything, conversations with old friends in Ultima VII give the impression that the Avatar is closer to a light hearter joker/troll. I can fully imagine the Ultima VII Avatar asking Dupre (Dupré? I want to spell it Dupret) what a knight is just for the reaction she'd get from him. It really is a masterpiece of writing, managing to flesh out the Avatar's Personality with nothing but topics and other characters' responses.

I also just finally got around to picking up Wrath & Glory, and I'm actually liking it a lot more than I expected. It's a worth successor to the old games, and I really want to play a Guardsman in a group of Astartes now.
    It's actually a very popular card game. It's inspired by video games and a mix of D&D. I've heard of Munchkin and it's has so many expansion sets. I've never heard of Knockout Whist. But I use to play Munchkin a while back but I lost interested. But I love playing Boss Monster and it's inspired me to use the Hero Cards as D&D 3.5 character sheets and also to write Pathfinder Fan-Fiction stories.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Titan in the Playground

It's actually a very popular card game. It's inspired by video games and a mix of D&D. I've heard of Munchkin and it's has so many expansion sets. I've never heard of Knockout Whist. But I use to play Munchkin a while back but I lost interested. But I love playing Boss Monster and it's inspired me to use the Hero Cards as D&D 3.5 character sheets and also to write Pathfinder Fan-Fiction stories.
    Whist is a trick tacking game played with a standard 52 card deck over multiple hands. Knockout Whist turns it into a knockout game, the goal is to be the last player standing, and you get knocked out if you finish a hand with no tricks.

Like most trick taking games one player plays a card and than everybody else plays a card going clockwise around the table, following the original suit if possible. The person who played the highest valued card of the original suit takes the trick, unless anybody played the trump suit (determined randomly or by the player who run the previous round) in which case the highest trump wins the trick. In the version I learnt you begin with a hand of seven cards and each subsequent round drops the hand size by one, and to stop the case of knocked out players sitting the game out if there's more cards in your hand at the beginning of the round and you get knocked out you get a 'Hail Mary' where you get a single card in your hand but can play it on whatever trick you want (and if you lose on a Hail Mary and the round's hand size was greater than the number of players then you got a 'Bind Hail Mary', a hand of one card you couldn't look at but could play on any trick). With the Hail Mary rules you lose most of the drawbacks of Knockout games: players only go out for certain on Rounds 4 and later with a four person group, and rounds 5, 6, and 7 go fast.

I will note that in my honestly limited experience Boss Monster isn't that popular over here in the UK, the board game scene tends to mainly be Eurogames, although my friends and I tend to play a lot of more weird ones.

Although to me there is nothing more iconic from tabletop games than the Farmer Wars of Carcasonne. Simply put, most of my family worked out in about two games that victory in Carcassonne tends to come from two things: 1) profiting off the hard work of others and 2) farming. Long story short, the players who placed farmers early and grew their fields sometimes swept as many as thirty or forty points in the endgame, which could make a player leapfrog from last place to first. Therefore games devolved into five players placing farmers within their first five moves and trying to move as many as possible into the largest fields so as to supply the most cities, even changing from controlling fields to supplying cities did not stop farmers from being the game-winning placement, with cities often being made as small as possible just to reap more points from your farmers

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Whist is a trick tacking game played with a standard 52 card deck over multiple hands. Knockout Whist turns it into a knockout game, the goal is to be the last player standing, and you get knocked out if you finish a hand with no tricks.

Like most trick taking games one player plays a card and than everybody else plays a card going clockwise around the table, following the original suit if possible. The person who played the highest valued card of the original suit takes the trick, unless anybody played the trump suit (determined randomly or by the player who run the previous round) in which case the highest trump wins the trick. In the version I learnt you begin with a hand of seven cards and each subsequent round drops the hand size by one, and to stop the case of knocked out players sitting the game out if there's more cards in your hand at the beginning of the round and you get knocked out you get a 'Hail Mary' where you get a single card in your hand but can play it on whatever trick you want (and if you lose on a Hail Mary and the round's hand size was greater than the number of players then you got a 'Bind Hail Mary', a hand of one card you couldn't look at but could play on any trick). With the Hail Mary rules you lose most of the drawbacks of Knockout games: players only go out for certain on Rounds 4 and later with a four person group, and rounds 5, 6, and 7 go fast.

I will note that in my honestly limited experience Boss Monster isn't that popular over here in the UK, the board game scene tends to mainly be Eurogames, although my friends and I tend to play a lot of more weird ones.

Although to me there is nothing more iconic from tabletop games than the Farmer Wars of Carcasonne. Simply put, most of my family worked out in about two games that victory in Carcassonne tends to come from two things: 1) profiting off the hard work of others and 2) farming. Long story short, the players who placed farmers early and grew their fields sometimes swept as many as thirty or forty points in the endgame, which could make a player leapfrog from last place to first. Therefore games devolved into five players placing farmers within their first five moves and trying to move as many as possible into the largest fields so as to supply the most cities, even changing from controlling fields to supplying cities did not stop farmers from being the game-winning placement, with cities often being made as small as possible just to reap more points from your farmers
    Oh wow. That's wonderful. I used to play Farmville which happens to be the internet game on Facebook but I lost interest.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

If you can find it, try Boss Monster. It's got some really cool strategy. Whist sounds fun, too. Does it use a standard deck of cards or do you need a special deck?
    Also, that sounds like a really crazy way to play Carcassone. It's pretty much the only Eurogame I ever get to play, because my game group (not to be confused with my RPG group) has one person who absolutely HATES all Eurogames. We were lucky to even get them to try Carcassone, to be honest. Would you recommend I try the Farmers only strategy next time we play Carcassone, or does it only work if everyone's doing it?
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Wizard at 1st level

Who's to say a Fortune 500 won't serve McDonald's?
    Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

Campaigns I'm playing in:
    None right now!

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Dahl View Post
    Hi! I promised to tell you more about this incident: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=153 so here I am.

Everything has gone well enough despite the fact that I am teaching English to children whose first language is English despite the fact that my first language is not English. I would say that we grow as speakers of English together. I am not there to be Shakespeare or knows-all-does-all expert, but my job is to help the children to progress as English users.

I would say that the following incident made a lot more relaxed: One of the kids was messing around a lot and not focusing, so I called his dad, who is from North America. I'm sure that he was able to understand within 5 seconds that English is not my first language, but it is obvious that he does not care about that. He was sent his children to my classes anyway and he got his son to behave nicely. If he is okay with me teaching his children, then why shouldn't I be okay with everything?
    I think that your view of teaching English while exploring through learning yourself is noble. That is seen by the father of the child who was misbehaving and shown by how he has brought back his child who is now behaving.

This is my opinion.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhyrexianShovel View Post
    If you can find it, try Boss Monster. It's got some really cool strategy. Whist sounds fun, too. Does it use a standard deck of cards or do you need a special deck?
    I'll try Boss Monster if I ever find myself in a group where it's played.

And as I said, standard 52 card deck sans Jokers for Whist. I'm not 100% sure how the standard version works, I've only ever played knockout.

lso, that sounds like a really crazy way to play Carcassone. It's pretty much the only Eurogame I ever get to play, because my game group (not to be confused with my RPG group) has one person who absolutely HATES all Eurogames. We were lucky to even get them to try Carcassone, to be honest. Would you recommend I try the Farmers only strategy next time we play Carcassone, or does it only work if everyone's doing it?
    I should clarify that 'farmers only' is doomed to failure. My point was that farming pretty much always determined the winner, which caused everybody to put more focus on farming, and resulting in my entire family considering one or two farmers on the board by the end of the game to be not worth it. You placed one or two in the first ten or so rounds, and looked to build up to four or five by the endgame in the largest fields you could manage (and trying to get at least two farmers into one of the two biggest fields). It's a fine balance between placing farmers early enough to have a chance of controlling the big fields versus having enough men to score points off of cities and roads.

As a general rule I'd say a placed farmer has to bring in at least twelve points to be worthwhile, but that's just a rough rule that has worked for me. As your group likely has different dominant playstyles to my family it's possible that in your group aggressive farmers would just cause you problems.

Now I play a lot of Amerigames, and they are relatively popular, but as I said the 'serious' scene is Eurogame dominated in my experience. I tend to find Eurogames are more enjoyable due to a lower amount of luck and a higher amount of social play, as well as the less verbal element freeing up game conversation for other things (generally attempts to stealthily form and break alliances, did I mention that I love Diplomacy?).

In fact, I've previously had it pointed out to me that personality-wise I'm not overly suited to Amerigames. I can get very aggressive when competive play puts me in a position I can't recover from or another player decides to spend their time exclusively targeting me, unless the game is an explicit wargame. I'm grand with direct conflict in a wargame, but in other board games I'd much rather not have to suffer it.

Also meeples are just so cute. The only nicer looking pieces I've seen are the rocketships from Tiny Epic Galaxies.

Show

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'll try Boss Monster if I ever find myself in a group where it's played.

And as I said, standard 52 card deck sans Jokers for Whist. I'm not 100% sure how the standard version works, I've only ever played knockout.

I should clarify that 'farmers only' is doomed to failure. My point was that farming pretty much always determined the winner, which caused everybody to put more focus on farming, and resulting in my entire family considering one or two farmers on the board by the end of the game to be not worth it. You placed one or two in the first ten or so rounds and looked to build up to four or five by the endgame in the largest fields you could manage (and trying to get at least two farmers into one of the two biggest fields). It's a fine balance between placing farmers early enough to have a chance of controlling the big fields versus having enough men to score points off of cities and roads.

As a general rule, I'd say a placed farmer has to bring in at least twelve points to be worthwhile, but that's just a rough rule that has worked for me. As your group likely has different dominant playstyles to my family it's possible that in your group aggressive farmers would just cause you problems.

Now I play a lot of Americans, and they are relatively popular, but as I said the 'serious' scene is Eurogame dominated in my experience. I tend to find Eurogames are more enjoyable due to a lower amount of luck and a higher amount of social play, as well as the less verbal element freeing up game conversation for other things (generally attempts to stealthily form and break alliances, did I mention that I love Diplomacy?).

In fact, I've previously had it pointed out to me that personality-wise I'm not overly suited to Americans. I can get very aggressive when competitive play puts me in a position I can't recover from or another player decides to spend their time exclusively targeting me unless the game is an explicit wargame. I'm grand with direct conflict in a wargame, but in other board games, I'd much rather not have to suffer it.

Also, meeples are just so cute. The only nicer looking pieces I've seen are the rocketships from Tiny Epic Galaxies.
    Try Boss Monster. It's a fun game including the expansion set.

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Titan in the Playground

Try Boss Monster. It's a fun game including the expansion set.
    Trust me, I've got a big backlog. Still not got around to playing Wizard, or finishing all the missions in Tank on Tank: East Front (and when my friend is finally better my board games group can get back together and I can start playing Eurogames again).

Show

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Trust me, I've got a big backlog. Still not got around to playing Wizard, or finishing all the missions in Tank on Tank: East Front (and when my friend is finally better my board games group can get back together and I can start playing Eurogames again).
    Ok. Anyway. I've been eating healthy and doing exercises for quite a while.

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    I know some barely-getting-by musicians who tour while mostly couchsurfing, playing small gigs and house concerts, but it's a pretty precarious way to live. One health setback or unexpected car problem can pretty much erase all of the money you were hoping to make on the tour, and it definitely takes a good network of friends and fans to fall back on if something goes wrong along the way. Filkers will pretty much look out for each other (I'm not even a performer myself and I've had multiple filkers offer me crash space if I'm ever in their town just because I'm part of the filk community), but no one gets rich that way and it's tough to even get to "able to regularly make rent and buy food without another source of income", so most people have unrelated day jobs.
    I didn't say it wouldn't be precarious, only that if you have a day job, you can't really do the "travelling musician" thing, and that people who are wealthy almost always have day jobs. I mean we weren't looking for "become wealthy as a travelling musician" but rather "be a travelling bard" and travelling bards are not the type of people I'd expect to be wealthy. Although I guess if you were independently wealthy or had a huge stash of inherited wealth it'd be easiest, but I think that anything between poverty and that would be harder than just being poor and moving about.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I think standard whist is strictly a four-player game with two teams of two, whereas knockout whist is an individual game.

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Ettin in the Playground

Recently I complained to my dad that his music was making me sleepy. He replied, "I don't see how; it's rock!" Indeed, House of the Rising Sun is rock.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-09-22 at 09:23 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Recently I complained to my dad that his music was making me sleepy. He replied, "I don't see how; it's rock!" Indeed, House of the Rising Sun is rock.
    There are certainly rockier versions of that song. It's been around a long time and has been covered a bunch.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rock can make for pretty sleepy music. Just look at shoegaze.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post

I was there to visit my best friend and her husband with my boyfriend (though he had to leave earlier than I due to studies). Lots of nature shizzle, last time I visited was in 1993... I'm not sure if I was even a year old at that point. It would've been lovely to go even further up north, but that's a thing for another time. Next visit will likely be in January, which'll be super exciting as my best friend is due in March.

I'm back in Helsinki now, but I had a couple day stop at a city on the way. A friend of mine, who works part time with one of the university projects alongside his studies, let me try a VR animal museum they've been working on. It's exactly the same as the old university taxidermy museum used to be. Sad to see they decided to get rid of it, but at least it'll live on in the VR world. That, and some of the best taxidermy pieces are still portrayed around the university.
    That sounds fun, I hope you had a good time!

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Ettin in the Playground

I just got a 7 killstreak in TF2. My previous record was 4. I originally typed that I got a "5" for some reason.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-09-23 at 01:35 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Titan in the Playground

Ooh, nature shizzle! I crave a bit more nature in my own life. Living in the centre of the city isn't entirely conductive to a nature-loving lifestyle, and the fact that my hometown is quite sprawling for its number of inhabitants means the closest patch of some approximation of proper nature is 2 km away, with another 2 if I want to go somewhere where the distance to the closest prepared path isn't 50 metres or less...

Ooo, interesting. Were the digital models high quality? One problem with museum digitalisation efforts in their nascency is that they tend to cut back on the quality due to technical and financial constraints, and if the originals are later destroyed, that's not really something you can rectify...

ION:
    Saturday morning my bicycle was stolen. I parked it at 4 in the morning after returning home from dinner and overstaying at my family. When I was again trying to get my bicycle less than 10 hours later, I suddenly couldn't find it. Not only was my bicycle gone, but the high quality lock I'd secured the frame against the bicycle rack with was nowhere to be found either, and you'd expect a thief would have dumped that one after getting it open (which probably would have required an angle grinder). Furthermore, every Saturday there's a market on the square outside my house, and the earliest traders arrive around 6 or even earlier, so the time frame during which a thief could have operated an angle grinder without witnesses is very small. All in all, it was a very professional job for an upper mid-value bicycle with four years of obvious wear and tear.

The story could have ended there, but when double-checking that I hadn't parked the bicycle at the other end of the rack and then forgotten about it, I found my bicycle! Only, it had been retrofitted with an old frame-mounted lock and a dirty chain protection. Still, I recognised all scratches and broken details, like the snapped off bell and stand. Some damage was new, but I thought maybe the thief was a bit violent after all. I didn't know where to find the frame number for the time being, but at this point that was just formalia. I didn't have time to do anything more that day, but we called in littlest brother to lock it to the rack to buy us some time so I could call the police and get it all sorted out on the Sunday.

The story could have ended there as well, but before I called the police, I wanted to be absolutely sure it was my bicycle (tripple-checking is a prominent character trait of mine). With newly acquired info on where to find the frame number, I turned the bicycle upside down and BINGO! It wasn't my bicycle. What?! At an even closer inspection, I found a pair of differing details which I absolutely couldn't explain, ruling out even a clerical error at the store where I bought it. How does this add up?

I don't know for sure, but my current theory is that the owner of that bicycle looked at the wrong end of the rack, found my bicycle and thought it was their bicycle (much as I thought theirs was mine), and then with some papers or photos to support their claim called in the municipality (I expect the police would check the frame number) to cut open the lock for them. This would also explain the lack of a broken lock lying about, as the municipality is quite invested in not littering and would take it away for recycling. So now I've got to play private investigator hunting people with the right connections hoping to find solid evidence and a lead. This is extra fun because making phone calls stresses me out like nothing else. Especially if they aren't fruitful.

I've already gotten a phone number for the person responsible for street cleaning and handling bicycles, so I'm making some progress. I think I'll go ask the flower sellers who usually has their shop up near the spot I parked at if they saw something. If I'm lucky, I'm on the right track. Sadly, though, all the stress this weekend means all the precious recuperation I should have gotten was more or less blown. I managed to pull through today, but that was with a one hour nap in the middle of the day, and unless I get some decent sleep tonight, I'm going to crash tomorrow. And all the uncertainty is still stressing me out...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Ooo, interesting. Were the digital models high quality? One problem with museum digitalisation efforts in their nascency is that they tend to cut back on the quality due to technical and financial constraints, and if the originals are later destroyed, that's not really something you can rectify...
    A couple models were just... not working out. Which is a shame. They're still in the simulation as it's still being built, but in my opinion especially the birds are really high quality.

They've also built some pretty cool 360° scenarios where you can walk around in (though walking means teleportation through commands)... and one of them, these fools built a mosquito whacking mini game in it. Yes. It's like a Nordic summer nightmare. I told my friend he needs to add the swatting function to the animal museum as well, to whack some random stuff. Like, I mean... you can already grab and throw around all of the animals in the museum! The idea was to have people be able to pick up the animal and turn them around to examine them better... and the throwing part just kind of... wasn't removed. And I hope it never will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    ... but you can

You don't get cool magical powers but there's nothing preventing you from picking up an instrument and travelling the world. Certainly nothing in society.
    I'm not so sure that Steve Harris doesn't have cool magical powers, though.

What are their strength scores? And, possibly more important when carting a grand piano in a dungeon, their AC and HP? At my table you could absolutely do that, but it probably would work out quite poorly for all involved.
    Fun fact, that tour lasted two years, during which they circled the globe twice.

If you want to be a wandering minstrel, you absolutely can.

Also I was totally at the July show in NYC at Madison Square Garden, at the fence separating the stage, directly in front of the bassist, mere feet away from him. Actually touched the headstock when he was "gunning down" the audience. Sold out show, 20,000 screaming fans, and every single one of them behind me. One of the greatest nights of my life. Caught one of the wristbands Nicko McBrain was tossing out.

To be fair, he's epic level. Of COURSE I'm going to assume you're referring to Iron Maiden and not a 5e bard who somehow has helpers that are just totally going to die in that dungeon.

Just to be clear, Rob Harford of Judas Priest totally has magic powers Evil magic powers, which is why exposure to Halford should perhaps be used sparingly and with all due caution. Wear protective goggles. Perform a banishing ritual. Carry a raw turnip, or whatever folk remedy your people favor. And maybe set some money aside for the treatment that may be needed if you happen to get pointed at. You gotta do metal smart these days
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Titan in the Playground

A couple models were just... not working out. Which is a shame. They're still in the simulation as it's still being built, but in my opinion especially the birds are really high quality.
    Good things they've got the birds down pat, because birds are cool. A shame about the bad models, though.

They've also built some pretty cool 360° scenarios where you can walk around in (though walking means teleportation through commands)... and one of them, these fools built a mosquito whacking mini game in it. Yes. It's like a Nordic summer nightmare. I told my friend he needs to add the swatting function to the animal museum as well, to whack some random stuff. Like, I mean... you can already grab and throw around all of the animals in the museum! The idea was to have people be able to pick up the animal and turn them around to examine them better... and the throwing part just kind of... wasn't removed. And I hope it never will be.
    Hahahaha, that's glorious! Random destruction simulators make everything better!
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Isn't it Halford? Harford sounds more like a town then a person, maybe in Connecticut. "This was Har's Ford for six month's in 1641, we built a bridge that year but the name stuck."

Har definitely had evil powers though, so they hung him as a witch.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Isn't it Halford?
    Aye. And hes also a national treasure. You take good care of that man, England!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Aye. And hes also a national treasure. You take good care of that man, England!
    He saves them a lot of money on anesthetics.

Because he is the pain killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Isn't it Halford?...

Indeed it is, my apologies, I blame the curse and my demonic enemy: Auto-correct!

From Hell's heart I stab at thee you foul cybernetic pestilence!!