New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Nexus] Outside XXXIV

This place is just as it sounds. It's outside.
    Want a change of scenery? Go outside.
    Always wanted to visit the beach? Come outside.
    Looking to have a climatic fight on clifftops? Attempt outside.
    Secret meetings being held where there's no cameras? Try outside.
    Want an ambush without nasty base defenses? Yep. Outside.

Any and all are welcome here. There are no NPCs unless you bring them in. The major exception is the creepy eyed squirrel. The creepy eyed squirrel does not interfere with anyone. The creepy eyed squirrel is everywhere outside. The creepy eyed squirrel is always watching. The creepy eyed squirrel never sleeps. The creepy eyed squirrel can not be damaged, manipulated, or killed by anyone. The creepy eyed squirrel will eat anyone's very being who attempts to do so. Anyone can god-mode the creepy eyed squirrel. You may pet the creepy eyed squirrel at your own risk.

Other NPCs currently include:
    The menacing crabs. These intimidating creatures are usually found by the shore.
    The non-existant duck. You'll miss every time you shoot at it.

There is very little you can't do outside. However, like always, please follow the forum rules and general rules of conduct. Private conversations can be held outside. If it seems like a private (secret) conversation, please respect that. Those having such a conversation should do their best to indicate it as such. Otherwise, other characters may stumble upon you. Those desiring to spy in on private conversations should first PM those holding the private conversation, more out of courtesy than anything else.

There are many areas outside, and people can be in multiple places outside. In order to keep areas outside separated so there's no confusion, consider bolding your outside location at the start of each of your posts, like so:

The Fields

Reinholdt sets up various targets and practices his sharpshooting. All these events recently has made him a bit rusty. To his left, he notes the creepy eyed squirrel. Giving him the heebie-jeebies, Reinholdt decides to head somewhere else.
    The Cliffside

Calublufiok broods over his latest scheme as he flies over the cliffs. The creepy eyed squirrel is watching him again. He finds occasionally landing and telling the creepy eyed squirrel his plans helps him find holes in his plotting.
    Note Reinholdt and Calublufiok do not interact because they are in different areas outside. They could interact, if Reinholdt moves to the cliffside. Of course, various things like telepathy help bypass this. Also, please note outside has no major buildings, though minor ones crop up from time to time.

And most importantly, enjoy outside. That's what this is all about.

Outside now contains various Outside locations! Such as...
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Dead Pine Lake]
    Spoiler
    Show
    This lake lies in the middle of the forest. On the eastern shore, woodpeckers feast on the dead pines that give the lake its name. Sometimes one can find Lady Death here, the Aspect of Eve also known as The Grandmother, or Jedwiga.

(Please PM happyturtle if you wish to interact with Jedwiga.)

Spoiler
    Show

[The Islands]
    Spoiler
    Show

An island cluster forms an archipelago along the coast. Some of the islands are settled, some not, but most are at least occasionally visited by the fishermen who work these waters.

[Gersemi's Island]
    Spoiler
    Show

Now more commonly known as Melody's Island, since Gersemi has long ago retired.

Where once was a single hut with a few sheep, now stands a single hut, a barn, a few sheep, and a small tented community of orphans. Gersemi's loom still rests in one corner of the single hut.

Melody, like Gersemi before her, is a healer for the surrounding islands.

(Please PM Lex-Kat if you wish to interact with Melody.)

[Redbrick Falls]
    Spoiler
    Show

A mountainous, cliffy region with a prominent waterfall. A large quarry once was worked in these cliffs. Now, only a few scattered villages and solitary dwellings remain.

[Norosa, Great City of the Elves]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Lawful Evil city with an incredibly strong military and a very charismatic leader (Archmage Tyrion Lannister). It has a few CG resisters, but, otherwise, it is a city of peace and law, despite its evil nature.

[Brillian's Baneful Bestiary]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A secret series of caves where a mad scientist lives. A mad scientist who creates mutant attack creatures. These can be purchased for the right price.

[Auxiliary MagCave]
    Spoiler
    Show

A relic from the days of the Age of Apocalypse, this abandoned cavern was once used by the infamous cyborg Magtok as a back-up laboratory and underground fortress, should Calublufiok have ever stormed the primary MagCave.

[The Katz Motel]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Located in the middle of Nowhere, our roadside motel is the only decent place for miles near the Taverna that has a bed. Run by a suave anthropomorphic cat, there is a strict No Dogs policy.

A bellhop by the name of Bates is always ready to assist in carrying your luggage. Please ignore his constant mutterings about his mother. Other more unsavory employees can occasionally be found. Please try to avoid eye contact with them.

We at the Katz Motel wish to ensure you have a splendid stay. Any inconvenience due to randomly locking doors, giant spiders, secret passages, vampires, creepy paintings, and the occasional possession and subsequent exorcism are incredibly rare. Just look at our complaint cards! Not a single one mentions dying horribly in their sleep or becoming food for the monster in the basement.

And if you get bored, the owner will always be up for a game of sport, old boy.

((The Katz Motel is a horror filled place with the highest casualty rate of any motel in the Nexus area. Checking in is usually pretty easy and pleasant. Checking out is rare. Anyone can play the Motel and the NPCs within, free to invent their own horror. The NPCs within that can die usually only suffer death temporarily, the supernatural force causing the disturbances bringing them back to life for its own nefarious purposes. PCs get no benefit from this.))

[The Troll Cave]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A cave in a craggy hill. The undergrowth outside is trampled completely flat, and there's not much wildlife. There's a burned patch where a fire is sometimes there. Inside are a few large caves, linked by surprisingly smooth tunnels that look like something big has been regularly pushing through them.

[Blind Cat's Bluff]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A sheer cliff dropoff that travels straight down into the water, this is a favored point of people who commit suicide, romantics wanting to watch the sunset and anyone looking to get rid of evidence. The drop is pretty far and there are rocks at the bottom that spell almost certain doom, so watch your step.

[North Forest]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A magical forest with a mythical spring of beauty. A bit like the Weald, but not nearly as dangerous. For starters, you can find your way back out and the pixies aren't cannibals.

PM Reinholdt if you wish to add locations to Outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Outside XXXIV

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    Homework Under the Sea

"I guessss..." Margret says reluctantly. She's a home defense system, not some creepy magical campground girl. Ewww.

Socializing would probably do Margret some good. Or end in GLoG half blown to smithereens. Win win for Magtok!
    Magtok pats Margret's shiny head. "We should work together on your homework projects and stuff more often."

He stops abruptly, peers ahead at the viewport, and frowns."Just as long as there's no more ocean drilling."
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Dir'Ba Cave

Kevin follows with the group down the cavern, and upon reaching the bend, turns off his flashlight to prevent its light from alerting the others to their presence.

He waits to see if Gerbo can see anything.
    I have left the Nexus and am no longer participating. (probably permanently)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dir'Ba Cave]

A few moments of grumbles and under-breath cursing later, Kenyon inspects the wound on his shoulder. The foamy liquid managed to stanch off the blood that was pouring from where the bat had bit him. He quickly dresses the wound, admiring his work with a quick nod before throwing his coat back on.

Going over the last fight in his head, Kenyon quickly resheathes his sword, bringing his rifle to a ready position. Sure, it was noisy as all hell, but at least it didn't leave him with a gaping hole in himself. Noisy rifle it is, then.

Kenyon rejoins the rest of the team shortly, noting that everyone is running dark, and silent. He quickly follows suit, dropping to a knee, and keeping his head low, and his weapon out of sight. He does hear some background noise, however, and strains to make out what may be said at the time.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    "Sounds wonderful," John smiles and stands up, "I probably need to go clothes shopping now, anyways."
    She stands up and heads out!
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the thief who likes to hoard,
    That loves the bard with the puppet Lord
    That admires the fighter with the green-hilted sword,
    That employs the Wizard, whose bird is ignored,
    That has the gender unexplored
    That intrigues the Halfling, usually bored,
    That slew a mountain of the goblin horde,
    That follows the cleric,
    That serves the lich,
    That seeks the gate,
    That guards the snarl,
    That lives in the prison the gods built.

guess what I was gone but now I'm back

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Melody's Island- Cottage]

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    The kiss is snuck in. Tiring. Jezebelle says with a sigh. I told Estia about the possibility of her having magic. Jezebelle sits down rather heavily. She didn't take it as well as I'd hoped.
    Derek's smile falls a bit hearing that. "I'm sorry to hear that. She was upset?" Derek takes a seat and enjoys some soup.

------------------------------

[Dragon Hunting]

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by McBish View Post

John picks a spot in the woods that has enough cover to keep him hidden as he watches the camp. He curses to himself silently as she heads into a tent. He can't really cover her if he can't see her. He hopes that she is OK and doesn't make any sort of move yet not wanting to start something she might be able to talk her way out of. To far away to hear what the men are saying he keeps watching for now. He tries to see what kind of weapons these bandits seem to be carrying.
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Thanks for the Nude Avatar MethosHazara

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    Do they cry on those worlds,
    to?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Cadaver Fields]

"Hrm... well then, I must be on my way. I'm looking for the thing that did this so just let me pass and we will be done with each other." The elf replies before she attempts to move past the little creatures. She could still catch it if she hurried.
    [Cadaver Fields]

"Can we come with you? Maybe it'll want to play!" the speaker of the gloamings grins, and all the others woop and agree.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Homework Under the Sea

"Like tea parties right?" Margret asks hopeful.

Magtok may be in luck though as they shift from one type of dirt to another, harder kind. And if the heat is any indication, they must be getting close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Deep View Post
    Empty Town

It's because Sableyes are creepy. They love it, they revel in it. Mawile does not care!

She also eyes the treats, and even sniffs at them. "<These aren't old. These aren't old at all...>"

The general store is unlocked, and a ringing bell lets the interior know that the door opened when she opens it. Inside is full of various things, a few snacks, a few other supplies... no maps readily apparent, though.
    Empty Town

"Nothing here either." Beatrix declares as she peeks inside the shop. She turns back to the pokemon after closing the door again. "This is just getting more and more creepy, we should never have started to look around here. We should just grab some food and set off."

She looks at Alyx as if the pokemon just had said something. "Yes, now I trust the ghost food."

Crystal let's out a sound like a small (very creepy) girl giggling.

[Cadaver Fields]

Michicora glances at the creatures. Naive. "No, it's far too dangerous for you. It killed all these creatures easily. Do you think you can stand a chance against that?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Derek's smile falls a bit hearing that. "I'm sorry to hear that. She was upset?" Derek takes a seat and enjoys some soup.
    She was mad because I was 'keeping secrets' from her. I tried to explain I was doing it to protect her, but she would hear none of it. Jezebelle frowns, putting her head in her hands. Not crying, just exhausted. I finally had to send her to her room, without supper.

Lyanna and I ate in silence.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Empty Town

"<Speaking as someone who has bitten off entire branches over cases of the munchies, I don't trust the food here.>"

Uh... well, if you have a large jaw of steel full of sharp teeth you can eat anything you very well want, now can't you?

"<Did you consider checking the hotel or something? Maybe there's someone else staying here?>"

Mawile looks around again.

"<Are you considering staying here for the night? It's getting late, but we can still find somewhere in the woods if you would prefer...>"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Elf Bard View Post
    She stands up and heads out!
    John follows her, not knowing where to go in this place!

"I'm thinking something with utility. Lots of pockets. I've always like pockets."
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

13. - Top - End - #13

[Dragon Hunting]

John picks a spot in the woods that has enough cover to keep him hidden as he watches the camp. He curses to himself silently as she heads into a tent. He can't really cover her if he can't see her. He hopes that she is OK and doesn't make any sort of move yet not wanting to start something she might be able to talk her way out of. To far away to hear what the men are saying he keeps watching for now. He tries to see what kind of weapons these bandits seem to be carrying.
    [Dragon Hunting]

There are around seven men gathered there. They all are simply armed - nothing that will stand up to a gun, but weapons that are generally more effective than a sword. There's a pike or two, a halberd, one bow and a couple arrows, and a guy with a large axe. One of them is gesticulating a lot, and points back to the camp once in a while.

Then, suddenly they all stop conversing. All seven, in a pack, walk back towards the camp, being very quiet. Meanwhile, Zorzo still hasn't come out of that tent yet. Maybe she stopped for a tea party?
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Dragon Hunting]

John pulls a bullet out of his belt and loads it into the rifle taking careful aim before firing it. There isn't much chance that his target would dodge since he was aiming for the ground in the middle of the group. The magic in the bullet should then cause several large glowing energy tentacles to come up out of the ground and start to grab and hold the men in place. It has about a 5 meter radius so if the men were group tightly it should be able to grab them all.

----------------------

Derek reaches over to put a hand on Jezebelle's should to massage it slightly. "Maybe it will just take her some time to calm down. She was going to find out at some point, this way at least it is you telling her."
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    to?

15. - Top - End - #15

Empty Town

"The woods obviously. No way in hell I'm staying here over the night." Beatrix says before rummaging around in her bag. "I got an idea though..." She suddenly takes up a small video camera. "Aha! Inspired by blair witch we can set up this camera in the middle of town and see what's going on. Unless anyone feeling up for watching?" She peers at the gathered pokemons.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Empty Town

Mawile shakes her head. She has no desire to stay up in town all night.

17. - Top - End - #17

Empty Town==>Forest

"Let's go looking for a place to sleep then." And so they will, Beatrix will insist on a place a fair distance from the empty town.

"Thankfully I got a small tent with me. It's just large enough for one person though but I have some ideas for you too. We need to have a guard up so we don't get dragged away by zombies in the middle of the night. Who want's first watch?" She looks between the pokemon. Or at least the three of them who are released at the moment (excluding Mawile).

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Empty Town to Forest

Mawile will raise her hand. She's willing to stay up later. For the greater good!

19. - Top - End - #19

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by inexorabletruth View Post
    [Dir'ba Cave]

Gerbo looks back at the rest of the group and puts his finger to his lips to signal for silence.

Crouching low, ready to charge in if he's noticed, he pokes his gnome head around the bend, to try to peer inside. Gerbo can't see in total dark, but if there's at least a little light he can see almost as well as in broad daylight. His pupils dilate almost to take in all his eyes as he strains to understand what's going on in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonzai View Post
    Dir'Ba Cave

Kevin follows with the group down the cavern, and upon reaching the bend, turns off his flashlight to prevent its light from alerting the others to their presence.

He waits to see if Gerbo can see anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenyon View Post
    [Dir'Ba Cave]

A few moments of grumbles and under-breath cursing later, Kenyon inspects the wound on his shoulder. The foamy liquid managed to stanch off the blood that was pouring from where the bat had bit him. He quickly dresses the wound, admiring his work with a quick nod before throwing his coat back on.

Going over the last fight in his head, Kenyon quickly resheathes his sword, bringing his rifle to a ready position. Sure, it was noisy as all hell, but at least it didn't leave him with a gaping hole in himself. Noisy rifle it is, then.

Kenyon rejoins the rest of the team shortly, noting that everyone is running dark, and silent. He quickly follows suit, dropping to a knee, and keeping his head low, and his weapon out of sight. He does hear some background noise, however, and strains to make out what may be said at the time.
    Gerbo can easily see what is around the bend as there is a hearty fire burning. The cave extends for about twenty feet before opening into a large cavern with a high ceiling. About halfway into the cavern the floor of the cave slopes upwards, quickly turning into a vertical wall of stone that stands fifteen feet high. The raised plateau extends for some distance further into the cave, requiring anyone who wants to keep going to climb the wall to get onto the upper half of the room. Luckily, there is a roughly constructed ladder leaning against the wall, not much more than two thick beams and several cross struts bound together with thick cords.

On the raised half of the cavern is the fire that is lighting the room. The faint smell of cooking meat permeates the air. Illuminated by the fire are several wooden structures, benches and racks and other such things. Whoever lives up there must be the owner of the ladder. And of the voice that continues to mutter and speak. The goblin, without doubt. And distracted by whoever is with them.

Keyon should be able to make out a few words if he strains hard enough. Nothing particularly useful: "food... hunt... slave..." Whoever is on the other end of the conversation is speaking too softly to be heard, however.
    Still not really here. Still just an illusion.

20. - Top - End - #20

Empty Town to Forest

"Great! Then Alyx takes the second watch, Ramu takes the third, Crystal takes the fourth and Suura takes the fifth. I'm too exhausted and hungry to even think properly right now so once I set up the tent I'm going to sleep." The trainer declares. Then said and done she will slowly but surely set up a small purple tent. Almost the same color as her hair actually.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Empty Town to Forest

Mawile will climb up a tree, and sit up on a branch that will creak slightly. Not a bad place for a look-out.

22. - Top - End - #22

Empty Town to Forest

Beatrix will go to sleep soon after but Alyx and Crystal are staying up a bit. After a while Alyx will go to sleep as well, but the Sabeleye won't go to bed. She will stay up for most of the night in fact.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Empty Town to Forest

Early in the night, after the sun has fully set, there will be a shudder in the air, and a thousand ghostly lights will rise above the town. Mawile will stick two fingers in her mouth and release a high, tinny whistle. This is kind of important, she thinks.

24. - Top - End - #24

No longer empty Forest

The tent shudders and soon enough Beatrix peaks out her head, her hair hanging down over her face. "Wha..." She stares up at the ghostly lights. "Holy ****!"

Crystal is also watching the lights, reflecting the light back from her crystal eyes.

"Okay, that town is definitely haunted." She comments while putting her cap on, suddenly feeling wide awake. She stands up, trying to see what the lights are doing. Are they moving in any direction or are they just floating there?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

No longer empty Forest

Mawile nods. The lights begin to swirl slowly, around the town... but don't seem to be endangering the group any.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Derek reaches over to put a hand on Jezebelle's should to massage it slightly. "Maybe it will just take her some time to calm down. She was going to find out at some point, this way at least it is you telling her."
    I s'pose. Jezebelle doesn't sound too happy still. She sighs. Maybe Melody will have better luck getting through to her. She's always been good with the girls.

She reaches over to attempt to take Derek's hand. How's the soup? she asks, giving a small smile.
    Last edited by Lex-Kat; 2013-02-12 at 09:21 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

"It's great thank you." It really hits the spot after a hard day magicing his ship back together, especially if you forget to eat a good meal. "It may take some time for her to really adjust. I would offer to talk to her, but I doubt I would have any luck talking to her."
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    to?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

{Melody's Island- Cottage}

So, how'd the work on your boat go? Jezebelle asks, changing the subject.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

{Melody's Island- Cottage}

"Good, back up and running without any damage. The magic I use to fix it up isn't very complicated but it takes it out of you. Even though I spent most of the day sitting still I feel like I ran a marathon." He smiles though, he doesn't mind being tired, it helps him feel like he accomplished something.
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    to?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

[Dir'ba Cave]
    Gerbo looks back at the group, puts a finger on his lips then signals for them to join him for a look.

Once they've seen what he's seen, he whispers as softly as he can to the rest of the group. "So, what's the plan? It looks like he's up that ladder. We either need to get him down, or get us up."

Meanwhile: (The Exile of August Tribolde)
    Galloping along the pristine hills of Outside, a lone rider weary from too many days of travel without rest bounces along a trackless route, seeking refuge and water for his lathered horse.

"Soon, Johann," August offers in a soothing tone to his weary steed. "There is a place where we may find rest. A new home. I swear it."
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2013-02-13 at 03:12 AM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development