New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Planeside 3

1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Planeside 3

Palace of Orochi
    Sekhmet remains nearly paralyzed with terror. "Uh, uh, uh... I need, uh, advice, uh, about how to, uh, be a good ruler." Right now, however, the fiendish queen is just trying to hide how hard she's shaking with fear. She's very new at this, and she's never had to deal with dragons before.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Dho Chladach]

On the other side of the portal, one can see the sky. A normal blue sky, with a sun shining, and a few faint wisps of cloud. And plain rounded buildings that are not at all collapsed. And strong healthy people in odd shiny clothing, standing beside peculiar little carts that don't even touch the ground.

Once Braeg has left, they start to cross over the opposite way, arriving in Dho Chladach, trying not to react to how eerie it is here.
    The first person through looks like a perfectly ordinary human guy. He strolls up to Seth without even looking around. "How many people are with you, exactly?" He asks.
    The second person through is tall and golden-skinned and has pointy ears. He immediately sets to measuring the area around the portal with some sort of handheld surveying widget.
    Third is a woman with lovely blond hair and a pair of giant batlike wings. Two little crystals fly in circles, chasing each other around her head. She simply looks at the village. Has it really fallen into such disrepair in less than ten years?
    Fourth is a lanky fellow pushing one of those hovering carts, laden with various construction supplies in their crates and sacks, and after him are a whole crew doing similarly...
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2021-09-20 at 07:30 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Dho Chladach]

"Twelve, counting myself." Seth replies, watching as shipments come through the portal, bemused. Somehow, he expected divine assistance to be less... mundane. Not that Inari hadn't done her fair share of miraclea already. It was just bizarre to see crates being delivered to the village, and brought this whole affair down from the level of "goddess steps in" to "wealthy patron brings presents".
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Orochi chuckles: a deep rumble that echoes through the room

The first necessary part of being a ruler is learning to remember that you are, in fact, a ruler. You need to project a sense of confidence and power so that those who follow you can have faith in your ability to lead them. It is especially important to not apologize for things that are "part of the job", so to speak. You are the one to give orders, you are the one to make decisions. You must not be apologize for that: it is not only your right but your duty to your people. Especially if your followers are not inclined to follow established rules.

A different head snakes down and looks at her from the left

The second is to learn to give orders! You need to learn to do it. It's easiest to start with small things: that's how we teach our children. Have your valet bring you a specific dress to wear. Tell your chambermaid to fold the coverlet down twice and smooth the pillows. Have your guards change sides of the room just because. Send instructions to the chef to prepare some specific dish. Be polite, certainly, but do all this as instructions: without "asking" and above all without apologizing!

A third comes to the right side

Royal bearing isn't to act snotty: it's to keep an appropriate reminder to the people around of who they're with. The old saying goes "familiarity breeds contempt" - those around you the most will stop taking you seriously unless there is something to remind them that they shouldn't do that. When you stand up straight, when you speak in an even and measured fasion, when you project confidence even if you don't feel it, when you dress just that little bit differently, you ensure that people treat you as their Queen.

The second chimes in again

But I hate that "we" stuff. Yeah, yeah: "you speak for the kingdom" - whatever. Unless I am announcing an actual joint decision of the council, I don't do that.

The head that addressed her at first speaks again

Finally, I would recommend finding advisers that you trust. Ruling a kingdom has many facets, and even Inari does not run her organization alone. A council of ministers is essential to keeping things running smoothly. But finding trustworthy and competant people to fill those positions can be a challenge - do not be afraid to dismiss those who cannot fulfill their duties, and understand that dismissal may very well need to be ... final.

---

[Dho Chladach]

Inari smiles and nods approvingly

Well done, Yi. And thank you for coming so promptly, Atorrre. This is Seth, who has been the most outspoken of the survivors, certainly. Seth, this is Atorre: a very capable, competant, and trusted friend who has helped me on many occasions.

I think we should focus on getting a shelter restored. I have gathered that weather has been somewhat stagnant since the goddess was slain, but it is possible that things may begin to move again. Considering one of the remaining god's profiles is storms, one would imagine he has some pent-up energy in that regard.

Speaking of: other than a brief threatening display at the mention of installing one of my temples, he has made no contact.

There has also not yet been any sign of what may have destroyed the unfortunate goddess of creation here. That remains a strong concern of mine: as I told Seth, while losing an avatar is merely an inconvenience to me personally, it does exclude both me and my power from further activities on the world in question for rather a long time.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2021-09-21 at 11:38 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Palace of Orochi
    "With, uh, all due, uh, respect, uh, I, uh, don't think I can, uh, not, uh, be, uh..." Sekhmet stammers. "Uh, like this." She means stricken by fear. To be fair, a giant 8-headed dragon god is more intimidating than most entities she deals with on a regular basis, and were she in her own realm, she would have more access to her power to reassure her, but it's still a problem."

Scorching Depths
    This is where things get weird.
    You see, none of this is really real. It's a construction of the stuff of this plane and the will of its master. So while the lock immediately pops open, it doesn't go unnoticed. But the results of that won't be felt for a bit yet.
    The door opens onto a hallway lined with identical doors.

My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #66

Default [Dho Chladach]

The winged woman waves to Seth.
    "Atorre Marcie, glad to be here to help." Hmm. Inari filling the whole area with life has made it harder to see what's gone on here, as now the history of the place and the people is buried in miracles. "CAn one of you show us what parts of this village you've been using most?"

"Just twelve. Huh." Okay, that's not many people at all. This may not have been an ideal place to start investigating what happened to this world, but of course Inari wouldn't leave the first dozen people she met without help. "What other groups of people are you in regular contact with, if any? And do you have any guesses as to how many people there are in your whole world?"

The wealthy patron's men are now putting stakes in the ground around the portal, and holding up big rounded plates of metal near it, and taking some wheeled, bladed contraption off its cart.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    [Dho Chladach]

Inari smiles and nods approvingly

Well done, Yi. And thank you for coming so promptly, Atorrre. This is Seth, who has been the most outspoken of the survivors, certainly. Seth, this is Atorre: a very capable, competant, and trusted friend who has helped me on many occasions.

I think we should focus on getting a shelter restored. I have gathered that weather has been somewhat stagnant since the goddess was slain, but it is possible that things may begin to move again. Considering one of the remaining god's profiles is storms, one would imagine he has some pent-up energy in that regard.

Speaking of: other than a brief threatening display at the mention of installing one of my temples, he has made no contact.

There has also not yet been any sign of what may have destroyed the unfortunate goddess of creation here. That remains a strong concern of mine: as I told Seth, while losing an avatar is merely an inconvenience to me personally, it does exclude both me and my power from further activities on the world in question for rather a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    The winged woman waves to Seth.
    "Atorre Marcie, glad to be here to help." Hmm. Inari filling the whole area with life has made it harder to see what's gone on here, as now the history of the place and the people is buried in miracles. "CAn one of you show us what parts of this village you've been using most?"

"Just twelve. Huh." Okay, that's not many people at all. This may not have been an ideal place to start investigating what happened to this world, but of course Inari wouldn't leave the first dozen people she met without help. "What other groups of people are you in regular contact with, if any? And do you have any guesses as to how many people there are in your whole world?"

The wealthy patron's men are now putting stakes in the ground around the portal, and holding up big rounded plates of metal near it, and taking some wheeled, bladed contraption off its cart.
    [Dho Chladach]

"Sir Seth of Sangrosse, at your service." Seth gives Atorre a little bow, trusting her implicitly. Putting aside that she worked for Inari, Atorre had a more than passing resemblance to a certain revered figure in Maesdan nobility, and a close personal friend at that.

"We don't contact many other groups. It's been long enough that there's reasonable doubt they're still around. In any case, we wouldn't be the people to ask. The nearest city is Brefaisil, about three days' travel to the west." He frowns and turns to his men. "...it is west, right?"

"Southeast, sir."

Seth gives a disturbed grimace and turns his attention back to Atorre. "Southeast, then. We know for a fact most of the Lords are still around; they are nearly immortal, even with the strigoi curse. With any luck, King Arnbaith himself can assist your efforts at rebuilding."

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Scorching Depths
    This is where things get weird.
    You see, none of this is really real. It's a construction of the stuff of this plane and the will of its master. So while the lock immediately pops open, it doesn't go unnoticed. But the results of that won't be felt for a bit yet.
    The door opens onto a hallway lined with identical doors.
    [Scorching Depths]

Braon neither knows nor cares that this realm isn't exactly real. All she cares about is that the door is open and she is free to leave the room. Which, naturally, she does, a little more confident in her abilities with this cantrip going so smoothly. It wasn't much, but it was a deliberate, controlled, successful attempt at magic, which was better than what she had previously.

With a new spring in her step, she walks down the hallway, her little deluge following her to whole way.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-09-21 at 08:01 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    Braon is loose, but also lost. She's somewhere in the palace, probably, but where?
    Also there's someone coming. A succubus by the looks of her; although that's hardly identifying information here. She seems preoccupied right now, but if she gets closer, she will certainly notice Braon. There's no cover in this hallway.

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #69

[Scorching Depths]

Braon doesn't stop or slow down; in fact, she doesn't even acknowledge that she's not supposed to be out and about. As far as the succubus is concerned, Braon works here, too... right up until she passes by and a goose mysteriously breaks loose. Because Braon still wants to cause a little trouble. Even then, she doesn't break stride; she just throws out that pinch offhandedly, seemingly without even thinking about it.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    Well, that's rude. It also has unexpected consequences. The succubus' tail whips up to wrap around Braon's wrist as soon as the pinch lands. "Hey." She doesn't sound angry, at least.

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #71

[Scorching Depths]

Braon glances down at her now-trapped hand and gives a little shrug. Oh. Okay, then. Somehow she forgot the succubus has a prehensile tail. At least she didn't seem offended. "Hey." The fiendling replies nonchalantly, her gaze flickering up to the bewitched raincloud now over both of them. "...Sorry, is that not the standard greeting around here? I may have skimmed the pamphlet." She jokes, giving the succubus's tail a little shake. "I was just on my way to see the boss lady. I don't suppose you could point me in the right direction?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Orochi's heads all smile, and an inky glow radiates from him briefly as his entire form blurs and shrinks until instead of the huge dragon there is a very dignified looking man of apparent Japanese ancestry standing in front of Sekhmet. He is just a touch over five feet thee inches tall and solidly built with straight, short-cropped, jet black hair. He is now dressed in a shiny black tuxedo adorned with a sash of lighter grey upon which are a number of medals.

"It may perhaps help if I was less intimidating myself. Seeing that there are no further visitors today, and that my daughter wisely chose to come at the very end of this session, shall we retire to my study? I have given what generic advice I can: anything further will require you to share details that perhaps you do not wish all ears to hear."

--

[Dho Chladach]

Inari's avatar smiles, but after all of this expenditure of energy she looks distinctly tired.

Very good.

She heads over toward the small stool she sat on earlier, but she stumbles before she can quite get there.

Oof

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "Word of advice: the Queen doesn't like it when we do that to each other," The succubus clarifies, "But since no one's looking..." she mischievously adds before returning the favor to Braon, then releasing her tail's grip. "Down the hall, up the stairs, then the third door on the right is the back entrance to the courtyard. She doesn't hold court often, so you might be waiting a while." As the two separate, she calls out one last thing. "Don't wander too much! Not everyone who lives here likes being disturbed!"

Palace of Orochi
    Now Sekhmet is taller than Orochi. It's a weird change of perspective. "Uh, okay. Yes, uh, away from other ears sounds good." She waits to follow his lead.
    She definitely seems less terrified of a human than a dragon, but there's still a little quaver to her voice. No matter how many reassurances she receives, she still feels out of place in a noble setting. She's only been queen a few days, after all.

My Nexus characters

14. - Top - End - #74

[Scorching Depths]

Braon gives an exaggerated but still little yelp and jumps a bit, rubbing at her backside. "Well. Good to know." She giggles. So she's a judgemental prude toward everyone here, not just me. Great. Definitely punching her in the face. She gives the succubus a friendly little wave and proceeds to follow her directions to the courtyard, assuming they're accurate.

She has to wonder what Sekhmet thinks she's playing at, here in the meantime. What even was the point in being surrounded by comely curtain demons if she wasn't going to let them mess with each other? Seemed counterintuitive to her.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-09-23 at 01:06 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    Braon arrives in the courtyard. An empty throne dominates one side of the area, a fountain in the shape of a modestly-dressed succubus the other; the water comes from an amphora she holds.
    Nobody is here, Sekhmet isn't holding court. The black sky hangs above like a shroud.

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #76

[Scorching Depths]

Well, that was hardly unexpected. Still, this is a place she knows Sekhmet visits infrequently. She can use this as a point of reference if nothing else, barring spacetime shenanigans. It's also a fair bet that Sekhmet has her own dedicated entrance to this room; having a set of doors to throw open dramatically upon her arrival sounds like just the sort of imposing architectural feature a demon queen would spring for; if not Sekhmet, then one of her predecessors. With that in mind, Braon searches the room for such an ingress.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    There's a large pair of double doors, but they're opposite the throne rather than behind it. If Braon bothers to check, she'll see they lead out to a bridge which leads over a deep chasm into the fiery mountains.
    It seems like this, unfortunately, might have been a dead end. Sekhmet's already shown she can travel around this realm without the need for doors. She could probably do the special effects with magic.
    And there are running hooves coming from the hallway Braon entered from. Someone is coming, very urgently. Maybe if she's lucky they'll go past this room?

My Nexus characters

18. - Top - End - #78

[Scorching Depths]

Urgent running in her direction so soon after her escape? Yeah, whoever that was had to be after her, right?

Which meant she shouldn't be standing out in the open like this.

Braon returns to the door she came in through and clammers up onto the frame, such that she's standing directly above where the presumed guard will enter. An old thieves' trick, ruined slightly by that persistent cloud overhead. Hopefully she can still get the drop on this person before they realize they're being rained on.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-09-27 at 07:09 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79

[Dho Chladach]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    "Sir Seth of Sangrosse, at your service." Seth gives Atorre a little bow, trusting her implicitly. Putting aside that she worked for Inari, Atorre had a more than passing resemblance to a certain revered figure in Maesdan nobility, and a close personal friend at that.

"We don't contact many other groups. It's been long enough that there's reasonable doubt they're still around. In any case, we wouldn't be the people to ask. The nearest city is Brefaisil, about three days' travel to the west." He frowns and turns to his men. "...it is west, right?"

"Southeast, sir."

Seth gives a disturbed grimace and turns his attention back to Atorre. "Southeast, then. We know for a fact most of the Lords are still around; they are nearly immortal, even with the strigoi curse. With any luck, King Arnbaith himself can assist your efforts at rebuilding."
    Inari's avatar smiles, but after all of this expenditure of energy she looks distinctly tired.

Very good.

She heads over toward the small stool she sat on earlier, but she stumbles before she can quite get there.

Oof
    "Well, with just twelve of you, we'll focus on one little part of the village first. While we unpack, you could maybe tell use more about the strigoi curse and this King Arnbaith?" Atorre Marcie suggests.

One of them checks a basic thing - do compasses even work here? Three days' travel could end up being not that long, or it could require a difficult journey through the unknown, depending on various factors.

And one of them instantly stops with the surveying tools and steps over to steady Inari. "Is there a problem with your avatar, Inari?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #80

[Dho Chladach]

Very good.

Oof
    Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    [Dho Chladach]

"Well, with just twelve of you, we'll focus on one little part of the village first. While we unpack, you could maybe tell use more about the strigoi curse and this King Arnbaith?" Atorre Marcie suggests.

One of them checks a basic thing - do compasses even work here? Three days' travel could end up being not that long, or it could require a difficult journey through the unknown, depending on various factors.

And one of them instantly stops with the surveying tools and steps over to steady Inari. "Is there a problem with your avatar, Inari?"
    [Dho Chladach]

Seeing Inari stumble, Seth immediately moves to help. He wouldn't dare touch her personally- such an act would likely be mildly blasphemous- but he'll move her stool closer so that when she stumbles, it's into her seat and not the ground. Once he's satsified she's stable, he'll answer Atorre's question.

"I can't claim to know much about the curse itself. Only what it's done to us." Seth begins. "We must drink the life force of other beings periodically, or else suffer a loss of strength and sanity. When we have no more left to give, we devolve into moroi, those shades you've been seeing everywhere. Sunlight hurries along the process for us and spells oblivion for them." He holds up his hand. "It's something of a balancing act, as well. If we drink too much, we risk creating demons, in much the same way as the fiendlings' heart-eating ritual does. And we become a little more like whatever we drink from, over time... there have been stories of werecreatures wandering our wilds, the product of years away from what remains of civilization. And it seems to affect more than just humans... beasts have been seen feasting on men too weakened to fight back, and growing more intelligent and ferocious as a result; we call those vorvolaks. Fortunately, the same curse prevents us from dying by any way but fading into moroi, so we've persisted despite the land's hostility."

"And as for King Arnbaith... he was one of the first of our kind, and one of the few who remembers our ancestors being forged from the scales of Skummring." He waves his hand dismissively. "Which is a whole other story. Arnbaith the Unbroken was our first Lord, and has ruled this land since its creation, at least the parts we have settled. He is a wise king and a formidable warrior; this curse can't have gotten the better of him."

Atorre's assistants will soon discover that a compass does, thankfully, still work here... Seth's trouble with direction may have more to do with the lack of any guiding celestial body than anything.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-09-25 at 06:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    A succubus with bubbling water for hair and hooves instead of feet opens the door moments later. She's wearing an apron and barely anything else. "Braon? Braon? Sekhmet sent me to check on you. Are you in here?" Of course Braon has the drop on her, in a very literal sense in this case. But she doesn't seem hostile.

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #82

[Scorching Depths]

Huh. The encounter in the hall was one thing; that was undoubtedly a question of chance. But this succubus had come directly for her, unarmed and unescorted. And now that Braon thought about it, she hadn't seen any actual guards around, either. In fact, aside from that one, easily-picked lock, she hadn't seen anything that suggested she wasn't meant to roam freely through the palace.

Man, security around here was just insultingly flimsy. That lady was definitely getting punched in the face.

Braon drops down behind the succubus, not entirely silently, and leans in the doorway in such a way as to imply she'd been there all along. "What's up?" She asks nonchalantly.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-09-25 at 06:31 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "Oh there you are. I'm Simmer, I'm the head cook. Sekhmet wanted me to check on you. She got worried after you destroyed the lock on your room door." She looks Braon over. "You were out in the mountains right? Are you feeling okay? Are you hungry?"

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #84

[Scorching Depths]

Braon scoffs. "What kind of question is that? 'Are you hungry?' Only all the time." She shrugs. "But you know, that really can wait. You say queen Sekhmet sent you; I want to see her. As in, now-ish." She crosses her arms. "And if all goes well, I'll save you the bother of trying to cook for me."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "She's busy." Simmer seems unmoved. "She would have come herself." She glares coldly at the fiendling. "You could have just unlocked the door, you know." Technically speaking, Braon did, but in a rather violent way. "Now someone's got to clean up all the mess you made."

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #86

[Scorching Depths]

It'd probably be more accurate to say she de-locked it, really.

"How about whoever it was that had the bright idea of locking that door in the first place?" Braon chuffs, arms still crossed. "If you weren't too upset about me wandering around as I pleased, why would you ever bother to lock me in? You were asking for it."

"But that aside..." She advances on Simmer, an angry scowl building up on her face. "I don't care how busy Sekhmet is. I want to see her, and you're going to take me to her." Whisps of steam rise from where the rain droplets make contact with her as she unwittingly builds up her magic within herself, intensifying her response... though it'd probably be hard to tell with as hot as it is here, already. "Is that clear?" She demands.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    Simmer looks actually slightly nervous now, but she keeps glaring. "That's no way to treat your host is it? Besides, I can't bring you to her. Until she decides to come back here, I can't reach her unless she decides to call me." She brandishes a frying pan she got from... somewhere? Like a club at Braon's increased threatening.

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #88

[Scorching Depths]

Braon steps back, a tight-lipped little smile building on her face. "Oh, my 'host', is it?" She begins sardonically. "My most abject apologies, then. I seem to have misplaced my invitation. 'Dear Miss Hexenborne, you are cordially invited to the palace of Her Infernal Majesty, Queen Sekhmet the First, for tea and cookies.' Well, I'm afraid I must decline, your ladyship. So if you would be so kind as to open the door back home..."

She waits a second, then, at the slightest indication that wasn't how things worked around here, or even just the barest hesitation, she'll advance on Simmer again, doubly pissed. "No, that's not the nature of our relationship. I am not your guest, you are not my host. I am not paying you a visit. You've taken me prisoner, and I don't owe you one godsdamned spatter of politeness, and don't you dare insult my intelligence by pretending otherwise!"
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-09-26 at 08:21 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Scorching Depths
    "Excuuuse me! Did you even read the letter she left for you?" No, Braon did not. "She gives you the run of the palace and say she'd be back tonight, and you react like this? Come here, young lady!" Despite the two looking close to the same age, the succubus cook seems very insistent on that distinction. She attempts to grab Braon by the ear and drag her out of the room. No doubt Braon will not like this.

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #90

[Scorching Depths]

Normally, this is the part where Braon would bring her magic to bear and try to drive off the insistent cook. But there were a couple of things stopping her.

The first was simply that she was too conflicted. Her magic worked best when she could think introspectively enough to isolate what parts of her would actually be helpful in a given situation, then amplify it. But at the moment, she couldn't even be entirely sure what she wanted, much less what would help her obtain it.

And that was all thanks to the second thing:

"...There was a letter?"

She couldn't say for certain that there wasn't. She was awfully hasty in getting out of that room. She didn't bother to search it very thoroughly; if Sekhmet had tucked it in a drawer or something, she never would have even seen it.

Not that it would have helped much. But the implications were different than if Sekhmet just threw her in a locked room undirected.

When Simmer brings her back to her room (if that's where they're heading), she'll simply cross her arms and demand to see this fabled letter that was supposed to change everything. Otherwise, she'll follow wordlessly, as much out of a morbid sense of curiosity as anything. Exactly what did the cook have in mind?
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-09-26 at 08:59 PM.