New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Post [PF] Malconvoker - Summoner Archetype

Author's Notes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is a possible conversion of the malconvoker in PF.
    As the concept is a very solid one, and a special favorite of players that love to play with (hell)fire, balance is probably going to be the main issue. Therefore, I would love to receive feedback on the following points:
    • Effectiveness: super specialization is the name of the game, but it is important to keep things in check. I'd like help in gauging the effect of stacking bonuses on summons, in order to keep the effective CR of the summoned creature parallel with the level of the summoner at all times.
    • Increasing number of creatures: how would you adjudicate the interaction between Infernal Legion, Added Summoning (Abyssal bloodline) and Superior Summoning (feat)? Would you allow multiple instances of the Summon Monster ability to operate at the same time? Talk about meat shields and crowd control...
    • Bonded object slight modification: pick from the full list. Being a very short and specialized list, I see it as a valuable tool rather than a possibility for abuse. Thoughts?
    • General impressions on class structure

Malconvoker (Summoner Archetype)
    “Take him, my slaves! Drag his soul back to your dark masters!”
    —Argyll Te’Shea, servant of Sarenrae and malconvoker
    The standard concept of the perpetual war between good and evil is clichéd to some: a black-and-white vision of reality, suitable only for religious sermonizing. A few who understand the complexity of the battles that rage through-out the planes have taken up a dangerous path, entering into powerful pacts with the foulest abominations of the Lower Planes to turn evil against evil. These daring summoners are malconvokers, and they bargain with their lives.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lvl Bab Fort Refl Will Special 0 1 2 3 4 5 6
    1 0 0 0 2 Cantrips, Arcane bond, Bargaining power, Summon monster I, Deceptive summons 3 1 - - - - -
    2 1 0 0 3 Augment Summoning 4 2 - - - - -
    3 2 1 1 3 Summon Monster II 4 3 - - - - -
    4 3 1 1 4 Shielded Summon 4 3 1 - - - -
    5 3 1 1 4 Summon Monster III 4 4 2 - - - -
    6 4 2 2 5 Deceptive Fury 5 4 3 - - - -
    7 5 2 2 5 Summon Monster IV 5 4 3 1 - - -
    8 6 2 2 6 Deceptive Loyalty 5 4 4 2 - - -
    9 6 3 3 6 Summon Monster V 5 5 4 3 - - -
    10 7 3 3 7 Infernal Legion, Deceitful Bargaining 5 5 4 3 1 - -
    11 8 3 3 7 Summon Monster VI 5 5 4 4 2 - -
    12 9 4 4 8 Greater Shielded Summon 5 4 4 4 3 - -
    13 9 4 4 8 Summon Monster VII 5 5 5 4 3 1 -
    14 10 4 4 9 Greater Deceptive Fury, Improved Calling 5 5 5 4 4 2 -
    15 11 5 5 9 Summon Monster VIII 5 5 5 4 4 3 -
    16 12 5 5 10 Greater Deceptive Loyalty, Safe Summoning 5 5 5 5 4 3 1
    17 12 5 5 10 Summon Monster IX 5 5 5 5 4 4 2
    18 13 6 6 11 Greater Infernal Legion, Contingent Conjuration 5 5 5 5 5 4 3
    19 14 6 6 11 Gate 5 5 5 5 5 5 4
    20 15 6 6 12 Honor Guard 5 5 5 5 5 5 5

Alignment
    Any non-evil.

Class Skills
    Add Bluff (Cha) and Disguise(Cha) to the standard summoner's class skills. Remove Handle Animal (Cha) and Ride (Dex) from the summoner's class skills.

Bargaining Power (Su)
    For the purpose only of casting conjuration spells, the malconvoker can ignore any restrictions that forbid him from casting spells of certain alignments. In addition, regular use of conjuration spells with the evil descriptor does not threaten to change his alignment.

Malconvokers add the following spells to their spell list: lesser planar ally (4th), planar ally (5th), greater planar ally (6th).

Arcane Bond (Ex or Su)
    At 1st level, malconvokers form a powerful bond with an object or a creature. This bond can take one of two forms: a familiar or a bonded object. A familiar is a magical pet that enhances the malconvoker's skills and senses and can aid him in magic, while a bonded object is an item a malconvoker can use to cast additional spells or to serve as a magical item. Once a malconvoker makes this choice, it is permanent and cannot be changed.

Rules for bonded items are given below, while rules for familiars are located here: Familiars.

Malconvokers who select a bonded object begin play with one at no cost. Objects that are the subject of an arcane bond must fall into one of the following categories: amulet, ring, staff, wand, or weapon. These objects are always masterwork quality. Weapons acquired at 1st level are not made of any special material. If the object is an amulet or ring, it must be worn to have effect, while staves, wands, and weapons must be held in one hand. If a malconvoker attempts to cast a spell without his bonded object worn or in hand, he must make a concentration check or lose the spell. The DC for this check is equal to 20 + the spell's level. If the object is a ring or amulet, it occupies the ring or neck slot accordingly.

A bonded object can be used once per day to cast any one spell that is on the malconvoker’s spell list and is capable of casting, even if the spell is not known. This spell is treated like any other spell cast by the malconvoker, including casting time, duration, and other effects dependent on the malconvoker's level. This spell cannot be modified by metamagic feats or other abilities.

A malconvoker can add additional magic abilities to his bonded object as if he has the required Item Creation Feats and if he meets the level prerequisites of the feat. For example, a malconvoker with a bonded dagger must be at least 5th level to add magic abilities to the dagger (see Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat). If the bonded object is a wand, it loses its wand abilities when its last charge is consumed, but it is not destroyed and it retains all of its bonded object properties and can be used to craft a new wand. The magic properties of a bonded object, including any magic abilities added to the object, only function for the malconvoker who owns it. If a bonded object's owner dies, or the item is replaced, the object reverts to being an ordinary masterwork item of the appropriate type.
    If a bonded object is damaged, it is restored to full hit points the next time the malconvoker prepares his spells. If the object of an arcane bond is lost or destroyed, it can be replaced after 1 week in a special ritual that costs 200 gp per malconvoker level plus the cost of the masterwork item. This ritual takes 8 hours to complete. Items replaced in this way do not possess any of the additional enchantments of the previous bonded item. A malconvoker can designate an existing magic item as his bonded item. This functions in the same way as replacing a lost or destroyed item except that the new magic item retains its abilities while gaining the benefits and drawbacks of becoming a bonded item.

This feature replace the summoner’s Eidolon.

Summon Monster (Sp)
    Starting at 1st level, a master malconvoker can cast summon monster I as a spell-like ability a number of times per day equal to 5 + his Charisma modifier. Multiple summon monster effects from this ability can be active at any one time. This ability otherwise functions as the malconvoker’s normal summon monster ability.

This ability replaces the summoner’s normal summon monster ability.

Deceptive summons (Su)
    At 1st level, the malconvoker can attempt to trick evil creatures he conjures into serving him for longer than they normally would. When casting a summon monster spell or SLA to summon an evil-aligned creature, he can attempt a Bluff check as a free action, opposed by the creature's Sense Motive check. If his check succeeds, the duration of the effect is doubled (as if by the Extend Spell feat), and the summoned creature might be subject to additional effects as described below. If it fails, the duration remains as normal and no additional effects can be applied. If the malcovoker fails the check by 5 or more, the creature breaks free of his control and is hostile toward him (though it still disappears as normal when the spell's duration ends). If the malconvoker use this ability when summoning multiple creatures, he must attempt an opposed skill check separately against each creature he wishes to affect.

This ability replaces life link.

Augment Summoning
    At 2nd level, a master malconvoker gains Augment Summoning as a bonus feat. He does not have to meet any requirements for this feat.

This ability replaces bond senses.

Shielded Summon (Su)
    At 4th level, creatures summoned by a malconvoker gain a +2 shield bonus to his Armor Class and a +2 circumstance bonus on his saving throws. At 12th level, the bonuses granted by the Shielded summon ability increase to +4.

This ability replaces shield ally.

Deceptive Fury (Su)
    At 6th level, the malconvoker can whip any summoned creature he deceived into an infernal fury. If his Bluff check to extend the duration of summoning succeeds, the creatures get a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls and 2 extra hit points per Hit Die (in addition to the bonuses conferred by Augment Summoning). At 14th level, the bonus on weapon damage rolls increase to +4.

This ability replaces maker’s call.

Deceptive Loyalty (Su)
    At 8th level, the malconvoker can instill the deceived creatures with exceptional resistance to his enemies’ attempts to control or dismiss them. If his Bluff check to extend the duration of summoning succeeds, the creatures get a +2 bonus on Will saves, and the effective caster level of the spell is increased by 2 for the purpose of resisting dispel magic and similar effects against those creatures. At 16th level, these bonuses increase to +4.

This ability replaces transposition.

Deceitful Bargaining (Su)
    At 10th level, the malconvoker becomes exceptionally adept at convincing evil creatures he calls that his intentions parallel their own. Upon calling an evil outsider using a planar binding spell, he can make a Bluff check opposed by the creature's Sense Motive skill check.

If the malconvoker succeeds on this check, the called creature becomes more amenable to his cause, taking a —5 penalty on opposed Charisma check made to refuse serving him. If he fail, the creature immediately makes a new Will saving throw against his spell. On a failure, the spell functions as normal. If it succeeds on this save, the creature breaks free of his control and can either flee or attack him.

This ability replaces aspect.

Infernal Legion (Su)
    At 10th level, whenever the malconvoker use a summon monster spell or SLA to summon one or more evil-aligned creatures, he can summon one extra creature of the same kind.
    This bonus does not stack with the Added Summonings ability from the Sorcerer’s Abyssal bloodline.
    At 18th level, this ability adds two creatures instead of one.

This ability replaces greater shield ally.

Improved Calling (Su)
    At 14th level, the malconvoker’s understanding of the ways of fiends shows him how to tempt even more powerful beings into his service. The normal HD limit for his planar ally and planar binding spells (including lesser and greater versions) increases by 2.

This ability replaces life bond.

Safe Summoning (Su)
    At 16th level, the malconvoker can dismiss any creature he has summoned as an immediate action instead of a standard action.

This ability replaces merge forms.

Contingent Conjuration (Sp)
    At 18th level, the malconvoker can use his Summon Monster ability in response to a set of conditions, as described in the Contingency spell. He can only have one such contingencies active at a time.

This ability replaces greater aspect.

Honor Guard (Su)
    At 20th level, if the malconvoker succeeds in the bluff check he can change the duration of any one summon monster spell or SLA to permanent. He can have no more than one summon monster spell or effect made permanent in this way at one time. If he designates another summon monster spell as permanent, the previous spell immediately ends.

This ability replaces twin eidolon.

Rundown of Summoned Monster CRs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Values are almost completely arbitrary abstractions:
    {table=head]Lvl|SM Normal CR|Specials|CR Adjustment|Total CR|Delta Tot CR- Lvl
    1|.5|SM I, Deceptive summons|+0|.5|.5
    2|.5|Augment Summoning|+.5|1|1
    3|1|Summon Monster II, Superior summoning feat|+1/2 (+1 after IL)|2|1
    4|1|Shielded Summon|+.25|2.25|1.75
    5|2|Summon Monster III|—|3.25|1.75
    6|2|Deceptive Fury|+.5|3.75|2.25
    7|3-4|Summon Monster IV|—|5.25|1.75
    8|3-4|Deceptive Loyalty|+.25|5.5|2.5
    9|5-6|Summon Monster V|—|7.5|1.5
    10|5-6|Infernal Legion|+1.5 +.5|9.5|.5
    11|7-8|Summon Monster VI|—|11.5|-.5
    12|7-8|Greater Shield Summon|+.25|11.75|.25
    13|9-10|Summon Monster VII|—|13.75|-.75
    14|9-10|Greater Fury|+.25|14|0
    15|11|Summon Monster VIII|—|15.5|-.5
    16|11|Grater Loyalty|+.25|15.75|.25
    17|13-14|Summon Monster IX|—|18.5|-1.5
    18|13-14|Greater Infernal Legion|+.5|19|-1
    19|13-14|—|—|19|0
    20|13-14|Honor Guard|+0|19|1[/table]
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2015-04-15 at 11:48 AM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] Malconvoker - Summoner Archetype

I love it. You captured the ability of the Prc into a balance base class.
    Although, I'm not for that limit of one summon at a time.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

A faithful and high-quality adaptation! Thumbs up.

It's a bit behind the curve compared to the 3.5 Malconvoker, but the Summon Monster SLA helps to compensate for that somewhat.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Looks great! Though something needs to be done to make it so that a first level spell (Protection from Evil) can't render his powers useless.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: [PF] Malconvoker - Summoner Archetype

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    I love it. You captured the ability of the Prc into a balance base class.
    Although, I'm not for that limit of one summon at a time.
    Thank you for the compliment!

The limitation is probably the key decision design-wise. Everything else can be moved around to accomodate it. Feat selection and availability may weight in this decision. Maybe I'll post an example throughout 20 levels and try and work things out from there. Done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnorman View Post
    A faithful and high-quality adaptation! Thumbs up.
    It's a bit behind the curve compared to the 3.5 Malconvoker, but the Summon Monster SLA helps to compensate for that somewhat.
    Thank you!

As you say, the power level is similar between the two. However, while remaining close to the source material is certainly important, I believe balance should be assessed within the new environment. Thus, the question is: how does it fares compared to other summoners (and Summoners)?

On a side note, I was familiar with your work on E6, but I had not realized you were the author of that evil summoner guide. I used it in the past to great effect, and I'm delighted to have the chance to thank you for that.

Quote Originally Posted by NikolaTesla View Post
    Looks great! Though something needs to be done to make it so that a first level spell (Protection from Evil) can't render his powers useless.
    Thanks!

Ah, rats. That spell can really put a dent in this class effectiveness...
    A few counter-points:
    • Malconvokers still funcion as better than average summoners, with augment summoning and shielded summons working on all creatures of all alignments, not to mention (improved) planar ally and planar binding spells.
    • Fiendish creatures get (pitiful) SR, but it still something. Fiends usually have a decent SR.
    • The spell only works passively. Attacking or getting close negates the effect. This is probably the most important point.

I suppose one could toy with the idea of having the malconvoker's Bluff check count as SR for the purpose of defeating protection spells.
    However, the only enemies of the malconvoker who might have the Prot. from Evil spell prepared are caster with prior knowledge of his methods and planar binders. The latter might have the same problem you have, while the former should probably be entitled to an edge in a fight.
    As always, any feedback is appreciated.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2013-07-03 at 07:35 AM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika