New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default 3.5 PrC The Lifedrinker (Complete, PEACH)

The Lifedrinker

The Lifedrinker is a powerful wielder of life and death. His first hand experience with loss of life force allows him to mimic and eventually surpass the deadly touch of the succubus. The Lifedrinker is able to utilize the energy of those he steals from, and turn it into power.

Prerequisites:
    Alignment: Any non-good
    Special: Must have voluntarily failed a saving throw that resulted in permanent level loss, from a supernatural source.

(A/N: Yes, there is no level-restricting pre-reqs, though you must have fought at least a CR 7 creature (lowest CR that drains levels), been close enough for it to level drain you, and survived.)

Hit Dice: d8

Class Skills: The Lifedrinker's class skills are Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Hide, Intimidate, Knowledge (The Planes), Knowledge (Religion), Listen, Move Silently, and Spot

Skill Points: 4+Int

The Lifedrinker
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Enervating Touch

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Lasting Drain

3rd|
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Enervation

4th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Spell Pool

5th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Superior Drain

6th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Suggestive Kiss

7th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Shocking Drain

8th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Boosting Drain

9th|
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Double Dose

10th|
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Energy Drain[/table]

Class Features:

Spoiler
    Show

Enervating Touch (Su): The Lifedrinker is able to drag the very life away from his victims with a simple touch attack. This touch may be delivered through the fingertips or the lips, however, if the lifedrinker attempts to deliver the touch through a kiss and the victim is unwilling, the lifedrinker must start a grapple, which provokes an attack of opportunity as normal. (If the Lifedrinker attempts to deliver it through the fingertips, it simply requires a melee touch attack that does not provoke an attack of opportunity). The touch bestows one negative level on the target, and the Lifedrinker receives 5 temporary hit points. These temporary hit points fade in one hour. The victim must make a Fortitude save 24 hours after receiving the negative level (DC 10+class level + the Lifedrinker's Charisma modifier) or the negative level results in permanent level loss. A creature with as many negative levels as HD dies immediately. The Lifedrinker may use this ability at will, but no more than once per round. This ability does not affect creatures immune to Fortitude saves that do not affect objects.

Lasting Drain (Ex): The Lifedrinker is especially resilient after he has had a meal, but even more so after multiple meals. The temporary HP that the Lifedrinker gains from his Enervating Touch class feature now stacks with itself, and the Lifedrinker can have temporary HP up to his normal maximum HP, after which, any further temporary HP he gains is lost. (For example, if a Lifedrinker with 70 hit points drained 6 times, he would have 100 HP, 70 true HP and 30 temporary HP. If the same Lifedrinker drained until he had 70 temporary HP, his total HP would be 140, but if he drained again, he would still bestow the negative level but would receive no more Hit Points). These temporary hit points still only last for one hour.

Enervation (Sp): The Lifedrinker can't always risk his neck to get in close to the enemy. At 3rd level, he gains the ability to cast enervation, as the wizard spell, as a spell-like ability a number of times per day equal to 3+his Charisma modifier (minimum 3), with the following alteration: "The Lifedrinker gains 5 temporary hit points for each negative level the target receives. These temporary hit points stack with the temporary hit points he receives from multiple uses of this ability, as well as from temporary hit points he receives from his Enervating Touch class feature, to a maximum of his max hit points" The ray fired as part of this class feature is not negative energy, but has no effect on creatures immune to Fortitude saves that do not affect objects.

Spell Pool: The Lifedrinker does not just drain vitality from his victims. He also drains their arcane power, and now he can put it to good use. Starting at 4th level, whenever the Lifedrinker removes a spell slot or prepared spell from an arcane caster whenever he bestows a negative level with his Enervating Touch, enervation or energy drain class features, he gains a number of spell points equal to the level of the spell he drained. These spell points are added to a spell pool, and they stay available to the Lifedrinker until he expends them or until an hour has passed, whichever comes first. A Lifedrinker may expend a number of spell points equal to the spell level of one of his spell-like ability class features to receive an additional use of it immediately that does not count against his daily uses. He may also expend 2 spell points to cast any first-level arcane spell from the sorcerer spell list, though he may only select spells from the evocation and necromancy schools, and cannot cast a spell with expensive material components or an XP cost. He must have 11 Charisma to use this ability, and his save DCs for the spells are Charisma based. Treat his caster level as equal to his character level. He incurs arcane spell failure for armor as normal. There is no limit to the amount of spell points that are floating in the pool. (For example, if a Lifedrinker touched a wizard whose highest level spells were 7th level, he would receive 7 points and the wizard would lose a prepared spell of 7th level. Then the Lifedrinker could expend two points to cast magic missile, or 4 points to cast his enervation ability)

Superior Drain (Su): By 5th level, the Lifedrinker has improved his draining ability considerably. He now receives 10 temporary hit points for each negative level he bestows with any of his class features. They stack as normal.

Suggestive Kiss (Sp): The kiss of a succubus is dangerously seductive, and a Lifedrinker knows how to make that work for him. Starting at 6th level, when the Lifedrinker kisses a victim with his Enervating Touch class feature (but not when he touched them with his fingers) they must make a Will save (DC 13+the Lifedrinker's Charisma modifier) or be affected by the suggestion spell, and the suggestion will be to let them be kissed again. This happens with every kiss, but even though it's a spell-like ability, it cannot be mimicked by the Lifedrinker's spell pool.

Shocking Drain (Su): Feeling a soft touch, and then suddenly growing much weaker is often a surprise to the Lifedrinker's victims, but the Lifedrinker can use that surprise and turn it into disorientation. Starting at 7th level, whenever the Lifedrinker successfully bestows a negative level, his target must make a Will save (DC 10+class level + his Charisma modifier) or be flat-footed until the creature's next action. If the Lifedrinker used his Suggestive Kiss ability with the same touch and the creature failed its saving throw against that, it takes a -2 penalty to its saving throw against Shocking Drain.

Boosting Drain (Su): Life force and spell power aren't all the Lifedrinker is taking from his victims, and at 8th level, he can start to use the rest of it fairly well. When the Lifedrinker bestows a negative level, he receives a +1 circumstance bonus to his attack rolls, saving throws, and skill checks for 1 hour. Increase this circumstance bonus by 1 for each negative level he bestows within the hour, up to a maximum of +5 for five negative levels (increasing the bonus does not reset the duration).

Double Dose (Su): The Lifedrinker is a force to be reckoned with. The touch of his fingertips is much deadlier than any sword or axe. Starting at 9th level, the Lifedrinker bestows two negative levels with each use of his Enervating Touch ability. He receives temporary HP, spell points, and circumstances bonuses for two levels, but his Suggestive Kiss and Shocking Drain abilities still only trigger once (It is two negative levels, but only one touch). Double Dose does not affect the amount of negative energy levels the Lifedrinker bestows with any other spell or class feature.

Energy Drain (Sp): As the enervation class feature, but with the energy drain spell. He receives 3+his Charisma modifier daily uses, which he keeps track of separately from his daily uses of enervation. He can expend spell points to use this ability for free. The ray fired as part of this class feature is not negative energy, but has no effect on creatures immune to Fortitude saves that do not affect objects.

Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-06-18 at 12:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 PrC The Lifedrinker (WIP, PEACH)

Just a thought:

Prerequisite: Any evil, must have killed someone using the enervate spell or another for of energy drain.

EDIT: Reread and saw you want it open to any class. Maybe they must go through a ritual where they drink the life force of another creature, perhaps with the help of a succubus/incubus?
    Last edited by Noremak; 2011-06-16 at 02:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    Spell Pool: The Lifedrinker does not just drain vitality from his victims. He also drains their arcane power, and now he can put it to good use. Starting at 4th level, whenever the Lifedrinker removes a spell slot or prepared spell from an arcane caster whenever he bestows a negative level with his Enervating Touch, enervation or energy drain class features, he gains a number of spell points equal to the level of the spell he drained. These spell points are added to a spell pool, and they stay available to the Lifedrinker until he expends them or until an hour has passed, whichever comes first. A Lifedrinker may expend a number of spell points equal to the spell level of one of his spell-like ability class features to receive an additional use of it immediately that does not count against his daily uses. He may also expend 2 spell points to cast any first-level arcane spell from the sorcerer spell list, though he may only select spells from the evocation and necromancy schools, and cannot cast a spell with expensive material components or an XP cost. He must have 11 Charisma to use this ability, and his save DCs for the spells are Charisma based. Treat his caster level as equal to his character level. He incurs arcane spell failure for armor as normal. There is no limit to the amount of spell points that are floating in the pool. (For example, if a Lifedrinker touched a wizard whose highest level spells were 7th level, he would receive 7 points and the wizard would lose a prepared spell of 7th level. Then the Lifedrinker could expend two points to cast magic missile, or 4 points to cast his enervation ability)
    Why only Arcane? Why not divine or psionic too? I may have missed the fluff but can you explain why only Arcane?

As for the requirements, I'd say you need to have voluntarily fail a save to negate a negative level, such as one "granted" by a succubus.

Also, in general you need to specify what abilities are negative-energy effects for how they affect undead, living, and non-living creatures (such as constructs).

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Why only Arcane? Why not divine or psionic too? I may have missed the fluff but can you explain why only Arcane?

As for the requirements, I'd say you need to have voluntarily fail a save to negate a negative level, such as one "granted" by a succubus.

Also, in general you need to specify what abilities are negative-energy effects for how they affect undead, living, and non-living creatures (such as constructs).
    Because removing divine power from someone does not pass it to you. You are not blessed by any gods and ur-priest is a stupid class.

Gaining power points would not allow you to cast spell-like abilities, A. And B, negative levels do not remove powers from psions because they don't have powers prepared, they have power points. So you're not taking anything from a psion when you bestow negative levels.

Additionally, the succubus's energy drain touch is not negative at all. So I suppose it just doesn't affect undead and constructs (they're immune to non-object Fort saves) I'll add that now.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

It sounds like you still drain spells from divine casters. Maybe you drain divine casters and powerpoints from psionics but don't gain spell points like with arcane. It seems odd that it only targets arcane casters.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    It sounds like you still drain spells from divine casters. Maybe you drain divine casters and powerpoints from psionics but don't gain spell points like with arcane. It seems odd that it only targets arcane casters.

Oh, that's part of negative levels. I don't need to specify that. Yes, a caster, no matter who it is, loses a highest level spell slot or prepared spell (randomly). But it does not affect psionic characters. That is a part of negative levels that WotC has not updated and I will not change it for this class.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Like it, I see it good for villains.

One thought is an evil vampire or undead taking this PrC. What would be nice, maybe instead of the double level drain (which is nasty to PCs) would be a STAT drain.

So either possible Drain STR or CON and be nice if to add that to character?

Just some thoughts.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Vlos View Post
    Like it, I see it good for villains.

One thought is an evil vampire or undead taking this PrC. What would be nice, maybe instead of the double level drain (which is nasty to PCs) would be a STAT drain.

So either possible Drain STR or CON and be nice if to add that to character?

Just some thoughts.
    I don't believe stat drain is balanced. I think it's overpowered and dangerous. Ability drain is a very powerful type of poison that is often linked to the undead. The Lifedrinker, despite its similarities, is not based on the vampire. It is based on the succubus. For that reason, I have chosen to ignore the Constitution drain ability of the vampire and other similar options.

Additionally, vampires and undead cannot take this PrC. They are unable to qualify for it, as they are immune to negative levels.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-06-17 at 01:22 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Default Re: 3.5 PrC The Lifedrinker (Complete, PEACH)

So, it's finished. What does everyone think? Would you play it?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

This would be nice if spell points could interact with the spellthief "steal spell" class feature or other similar abilities

Also, beware this class could use spell points to use any SLA, not just those granted by the class (reserve feats anyone ?) My bad, i misread the entry

Other than that, i'd definitely play one
    Last edited by Delegreg; 2011-06-27 at 05:19 AM.
    My Homebrew :
    The Otherworldly Dancer
    The Beautiful Freak
    more to come ...

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Delegreg View Post
    This would be nice if spell points could interact with the spellthief "steal spell" class feature or other similar abilities

Also, beware this class could use spell points to use any SLA, not just those granted by the class (reserve feats anyone ?) My bad, i misread the entry

Other than that, i'd definitely play one
    An interesting idea. No doubt you and your DM could work something like that out. The features are quite similar after all.